test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

OFFICIAL: Refinement Changes

Comments

• bigdragon#4214 bigdragon Member Posts: 33 Arc User
    Why can t buy normal enchantment rank 4 about the coins?
  • cestra#2511 cestra Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    Can't wait to play the new trials and dungeons on preview with no investment to live servers for the rest of my time here, job well done Cryptic. 2 Combat Reworks with 0 Trial releases, you've outdone yourselves this time!
  • hastati96hastati96 Member Posts: 498 Arc User
    Why were the new enchantments given a lifetime?

It is very demotivating to invest into an item (5 Coals!) that will vanish after a specific time. As the new enchantments are one of the core parts of a character now this is something I dont understand and whichis the biggest downside on this rework in my opinion.
    Nero - Palacetamol - Essence of Aggression
  • arazith07arazith07 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,719 Arc User
    hastati96 said:

Why were the new enchantments given a lifetime?

It is very demotivating to invest into an item (5 Coals!) that will vanish after a specific time. As the new enchantments are one of the core parts of a character now this is something I dont understand and whichis the biggest downside on this rework in my opinion.

Only the free rank 4s have an expiration date. New enchantments gotten from either the sage or the exchange vendor are permanent.
  • jbball92#2946 jbball92 Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    Have they announced whether there will be other weapon enchants in addition to the ones currently on preview ? Specifically debuffs like frost, dread, bronzewood?
  • fritz#8093 fritz Member Posts: 439 Arc User

So, if a toon currently is using rank 10 enchantment only, after the change, he won't even able to trade for one rank 1 enchantment. i.e. he will not be able to have any enchantment at all. Am I right?

Seems so. You have to buy new ones from the Sage Shop for 100k each.
  • fritz#8093 fritz Member Posts: 439 Arc User
    erevel09 said:

It just occured to me that with changes made utility enchantments such as dragonhoard, fey blessing or quartermaster are gone. They were unique in the way, because they helped to gather rp. Do you plan on adding those back under some diffrent name or are they gone for good and with them all chance to get some small extra rp by just questing in zones?

Good catch. RP have become a little too cheap in my opinion, but this is a change that should be properly communicated imho.
  • darthpotaterdarthpotater Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,259 Arc User
    My only concern is marks of potency that cost AD should have an exchange for AD.

The rest I can live with, and is great that we can switch items in different loadouts and keep the same enchants. Now if I want a weapon enchant for bosses and other for the rest of the dungeon, I need different sets of weapons or unslot the enchant 3 times per dungeon
    Lescar PvE Wizard - Sir Garlic PvE Paladin
    Caturday Survivor
    Elemental Evil Survivor
    Undermontain Survivor
    Mod20 Combat rework Survivor
    Mod22 Refinement rework Survivor
  • gunnerdom98gunnerdom98 Member Posts: 15 Arc User

I have almost 100 Rank 9 enchantments because that's what the lockboxes give us. What am I supposed to do with those? Just turn them into refinement points? Also it's really bad we can't buy the Rank 3 or 4 of the normal Enchantments and just the Combat/Companion ones. Also, the thing you don't explain here is that the unslot cost has gone away because it now costs Gold to upgrade the Enchantment. That's a little bit of a bait and switch.

rank 9s are useful for nothing but refinement points anyway, we can only get rank 2 of the new one yes but that's 3 x the worth of the current rank 15's. The change is so you can use different enchants on different loadouts, costing gold to upgrade isn't really an issue since there is very little reason to use gold for anything other than the new upgrade system. If you are not doing professions and not switching enchants, you are not using gold so its no a big issue at all
  • gunnerdom98gunnerdom98 Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    dillygirl said:

I like Gold being such a major component in the upgrade process. Think it's still a bit under-represented in terms of significance in the game and this should help.

It's actually used for professions, so I hope the cost won't be enormous (10 gold and more is enormous) because we actually go through our gold like it's potions

I would prefer it if we had a explanation on why the developers think this change is ideal for the longevity of Neverwinter as a game. I'm fine with doing away with the cost of removing an enchantment intact, what I don't like is how this new system is basically dropped in our laps with nothing more than 'we understand this is disruptive and overwhelming'

I strongly agree with this - please give us an explanation why this design is good for the game. Is it going to make more money, safeguarding the financial feature of the game? Is it intended to be easier to use? Is it more friendly for new players?

To me, this stuff - especially the new Motes system - screams predatory money grab tactics. Blizzard seems to be dying, if you want any of those WoW players to end up spending money on Neverwinter you need to take a step back on the predatory stuff and a step forward on ease of use stuff and bug fixing.
    The cost of the upgrade from what I can see isn't a massive gold sink per enchants so not much to worry about, just stack up a few hundred gold before mod drop and you'll be sorted

• regenerderegenerde Member Posts: 3,043 Arc User

I disagree that R8/9 were worthless. They were obviously adding more than an empty slot (e.g. the free R8 Lightning enchantment boosted AoE damage to a point where combat actually felt like fun), especially for characters still levelling their IL, alts, new or returning players. I suppose most Dragon´s Hoard/Quartermaster´s/Fey Blessings were R9 or less as well. Not everybody is maxed in this game.

And if they are all just worth their RP value now I don´t like how you can´t spend RPs on partial progress of items anymore, that´s how you could transfer some odd or unwanted RPs off alts or characters you no longer play - by trading items to drop those RPs on. They now gonna sit there unused unless they can reach whatever it is that is needed to upgrade an item. If you do this, please add a "Shared Refinement Points" to the account vault.

My atls in the 35-40k range all have Rank 9 max. So they will get zero free Enchantments in the new system. It's, uhm, perplexing. I will of course now make sure to use leftover MoPs to upgrade stuff so I can supply alts with at least Rank 1s, but it'll be an uphill battle.
    Well, you might want to take a real close look at those exchange rates before you embark on your refining journey...
    -> 30x R10 for 1x new R1
    I do believe in killing the messenger...
    Want to know why?
    Because it sends a message!
  • aimeeisasimnutaimeeisasimnut Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    > @arazith07 said:
    > You are literally saying that the exchange is fair with the numbers but then say that you are losing stats? I don't think you are quite understanding everything here.

No im saying they said they wanted to make item level and stats more meaningful with enchants but they didn't in the least . the item level is exactly the same and now we have less stats from enchants.
  • tyrlaan#5615 tyrlaan Member Posts: 36 Arc User

> @arazith07 said:
    > You are literally saying that the exchange is fair with the numbers but then say that you are losing stats? I don't think you are quite understanding everything here.

No im saying they said they wanted to make item level and stats more meaningful with enchants but they didn't in the least . the item level is exactly the same and now we have less stats from enchants.

In fact many characters who had enchantments will have no enchantments (and thus the IL and stats they contributed) after this change. If it´s worth it to spend millions of ADs just to get rank 1s remains to be seen. Or how often they drop (or as quest rewards) to allow every character a basic set of enchantments. The removal of Dragon Hoard´s/Quartermaster´s/Fey Blessings for RPs and stronghold contribution gonna hurt as well. And a lot of options for customization is getting removed.

Of course I like that the enchantment slots are getting reduced and the gold cost removed. I hate using the UI and the repetitiveness whenever I change an item and have to place/remove/replace enchantments. And of course I understand that they are trying to make stuff easier and allow for further scalability.