test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

FINAL UPDATE - [PC] Upcoming OS and DirectX Support Changes

Comments

• kalina311kalina311 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,082 Arc User
    edited November 2021
    also some people with thier heads in the sand are forgetting that they are developing the game for 3 platforms not just PC ..it may be an old game but now it is running on modern consoles that they want to stream line development using modern tools.. and want to remove/ stream line as many cross platform and legacy code issues and maintenance costs as possible

.and avoid having to hire people to test such legacy configurations and maintain old code and and tech support feed questions and answer relating to it as well that only 1% of the population on 1/3 of their platforms use..clearly NOT the most lucrative revenue /steam/windows 7 player population metric to be catering to and i am saying that nicely ..

this is unfortunately what can happen if players spend more zen / cash on in game cosmetics then actually upgrading thier pc or switching to playing on a console
  • plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,208 Arc User
    edited November 2021
    Cryptic has its own reason to get rid of Windows 7 support.
    Players have their own reason not to upgrade their system.
    It does not really matter either set of reasons/excuse is reasonable/acceptable or not.

Cryptic will move on to serve old players who can deal with the change and new players coming in.
    Certain players will move on to find another game that can run in their system.

The gap between Cryptic and certain players will not be narrowed. There is no point to argue about technical detail, business detail, personal detail, financial detail, ...

If two parties are not compatible to each other, they separate and move on. That is all.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • arazith07arazith07 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,719 Arc User

Cryptic has its own reason to get rid of Windows 7 support.
    Players have their own reason not to upgrade their system.
    It does not really matter either set of reasons/excuse is reasonable/acceptable or not.

Cryptic will move on to serve old players who can deal with the change and new players coming in.
    Certain players will move on to find another game that can run in their system.

The gap between Cryptic and certain players will not be narrowed. There is no point to argue about technical detail, business detail, personal detail, financial detail, ...

If two parties are not compatible to each other, they separate and move on. That is all.

I agree with you, however there are individuals who are not moving on and go to post demonstrably false statements. Statements that if left unchallenged can lead others to believe they are true.
  • fyrstigorfyrstigor Member Posts: 299 Arc User
    I will always support changes that removes more "Karens" from games. But at the same time, its also sad. Where will i get my good laughs then :(
  • mrimsogoodmrimsogood Member Posts: 147 Arc User
    It's funny and sad that there are players actually mad at Cryptic stopping support for an old OS that Microsoft doesn't even support anymore
  • drgpsdrgps Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    Well, I guess it's time to move on. I only extended my VIP status to the end of January 2022. I am one of those Windows 7 users. I've played the game without problem for several years, but I'm not going to buy Windows 8 or 10. Good luck with other players leaving. It's too bad.
    > @drgps said:
    > Well, I guess it's time to move on. I only extended my VIP status to the end of January 2022. I am one of those Windows 7 users. I've played the game without problem for several years, but I'm not going to buy Windows 8 or 10. Good luck with other players leaving. It's too bad.

Let's be honest. It has nothing to do with u having to buy win 8 or 10. Every one had free upgrades to win 10 for like over a year no matter what version u came from. Even illegal keys could upgrade for free to a legal win 10. And there is plenty of keys out there u can buy that costs next to nothing.

I'm sure ur one of those who believe windows is evil and 7 was the only true and pure version and bla bla bla something about freedom, something about rights bla bla bla.

But Good bye and enjoy ur pettyness. I hope the sacrifice will mean more time to develop the game better, and it's a sacrifice all us win10 players are happy to make.
    edited December 2021
    fyrstigor said:

> @drgps said:
    > Well, I guess it's time to move on. I only extended my VIP status to the end of January 2022. I am one of those Windows 7 users. I've played the game without problem for several years, but I'm not going to buy Windows 8 or 10. Good luck with other players leaving. It's too bad.

Let's be honest. It has nothing to do with u having to buy win 8 or 10. Every one had free upgrades to win 10 for like over a year no matter what version u came from. Even illegal keys could upgrade for free to a legal win 10. And there is plenty of keys out there u can buy that costs next to nothing.

I'm sure ur one of those who believe windows is evil and 7 was the only true and pure version and bla bla bla something about freedom, something about rights bla bla bla.

But Good bye and enjoy ur pettyness. I hope the sacrifice will mean more time to develop the game better, and it's a sacrifice all us win10 players are happy to make.

People make their choice and have their own preference. There is no need to be little them. If they think their unsupported win7 is good enough for them for their own usage, it is their choice.

I personally hate Windows 7 because of various API issue (as a programmer's point of view) but that does not matter for most. It all depends on what they want their Windows 7 for. For some (me), windows 7 is unsustainable. For example, the Tax software I used in the past decade does not support Windows 7 anymore. What kind of choice I would have if I am still using Windows 7?
    1. find an accountant to do my tax?
    2. change to another tax program that is still supporting windows 7 and jump the hop to deal with my previous tax data?
    3. Use Windows 10?
    4. Make a VM in Windows 7 to run Windows 10 to use my usual tax program?
    5. ?
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • micky1p00micky1p00 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,594 Arc User
    edited December 2021
    Since @jana#2651 decided to write on my wall instead the proper thread, I'll copy paste and reply:

Alot more people will be there if they feed into Bill Gates (who still owns a lot of stock) desire for more money and make it so people have to buy equipment or cards to make windows 11 work, which is all pure HAMSTER because 10 was suppose to be the last. I buy on the Zen a lot, esp. lately. But they are becoming so money hungry that a lot of people besides me have had it, with the enchantments going and all the other things they switch around just to get money. They have obviously colluded with windows to make this happen, just for better graphics? That is not what it is all about. Money is what it is all about, and your statement that people who dont buy much don't deserve to be considered is just ugly. They have supposed glitches that take whatever you paid real cash for and then tell you too bad, there is nothing we can do, when it easily checkable. You do have a real sense of entitlement that is not a very pretty trait.

1. Actually Bill Gates donated most of his wealth to charity.

2. Why are we talking about Windows 11? Windows 10 is still a free upgrade.

3. They obviously colluded, because Microsoft cares what some minor Studio does... I know right, will I be meeting you at the flat world convention?

4. No one said that the requirement for windows is solely for better graphics, though it is possible.

5. "dont buy much don't deserve to be considered is just ugly" I never stated that, I've said that a company makes and should make decisions by numbers and strategy, and not some tear jerking stories. They evaluate the resources needed to keep supporting some users or the blocked features they can't implement vs the loss of revenue from letting those and potential users of the same group go, and make a decision.

6. How fast Cryptic fixes bugs is actually somewhat relevant - reallocate all the time it takes to add legacy code to support said old systems and you could have had bug fixes instead. Or consider how faster it is to write for newer platforms and you have the same consideration. (Though to be honest, Cryptic are small so bugs will never be a priority).

7. "You do have a real sense of entitlement that is not a very pretty trait" How so? When I'm saying that Cryptic has the numbers, has to make a business decision and it's up to Cryptic to decide and not us. How is that entitlement? I would say that the concept of "I've paid real cash so they must fix what I want" is entitlement.
    Allow me to quote: "hey have supposed glitches that take whatever you paid real cash for and then tell you too bad, there is nothing we can do, when it easily checkable". It's also not understanding priorities, deadlines and how companies should be run and managed.
    In any case, I'm not worried about myself, I have plenty of other awesome positive traits that compensate, like wasting time arguing with strangers on the Internet.
  • shirghe#4424 shirghe Member Posts: 59 Arc User
    micky1p00 said:

3. They obviously colluded, because Microsoft cares what some minor Studio does... I know right, will I be meeting you at the flat world convention?

Yes, Microsoft very much cares about keeping a stranglehold on any market they can reach.

You keep mentioning the flat Earth. Could you please clarify, if planned obsolescence, FUD, kickbacks and cartels are in the same compartment in your mind?
    micky1p00 said:

They evaluate the resources needed to keep supporting some users or the blocked features they can't implement vs the loss of revenue from letting those and potential users of the same group go, and make a decision.

All "they" evaluate is a nice new house vs the risk of being fired.

Other than missing those kinds of opportunities, the cost of supporting Windows 7 would be zero. The game engine has been developed to work on Windows 7, works on it for years, and has been ported onto other platforms since. If anything, keeping the game working on the new versions of Windows is what requires a little extra effort.
    edited December 2021

Other than missing those kinds of opportunities, the cost of supporting Windows 7 would be zero. The game engine has been developed to work on Windows 7, works on it for years, and has been ported onto other platforms since. If anything, keeping the game working on the new versions of Windows is what requires a little extra effort.

1. The cost of supporting Windows 7 is NOT zero. Supporting Windows 7 costed my company more than Windows 10 and Linux combined. It is pain of the backend to support it.
    2. Game engine (a 3rd party software) itself can be upgraded to newer version for bug fix and use new API. That is beyond the control of those who build their game on top of it. It is either stay on the old version of game engine or get a newer and better one.
    3. NW is changed through patch very often (basically a new versio). It is like tax software got update (basically a new version) every year. Tax software does not need any state of art graphic API to do tax. Yet, most Tax software for tax year 2021 I checked recently requires at least Windows 8.1. i.e. even Windows 8.0 does not cut it.
    @shirghe#4424

Could u please provide proof of said kickbacks Microsoft gives to every company out there both big and small for dropping support on old systems?
    fyrstigor said:

@shirghe#4424

Could u please provide proof of said kickbacks Microsoft gives to every company out there both big and small for dropping support on old systems?

Never heard of that. At least, Microsoft never offered us.

However, this is what our company do (as I posted earlier in this thread):

My company also "stop" supporting the OS which is not supported by the OS vendor. We charged annual maintenance $N for our software. When the OS is not supported by the OS vendor, customer has one year grace period to upgrade to the newer OS. After that, the official annual maintenance will be 2 x $N. Every year after, will add another 20%.
    i.e.
    1st year: $N
    2nd year: $2N
    3rd year: $2N x 1.2
    4th year: $2N x 1.2 x 1.2

If they upgrade, it will go back to $N.

At least, we got paid for the extra effort to support/test/... an obsolete OS.
    At my work, we don't support anything less than 2016 servers. Our software can run on 2012 and does that fine at many customers. But of they get issues they either pay for any kind of help, or they upgrade the server.

We never received money for dropping support either.

I still don't understand why getting win 10 is the big problem for so many flat earthers. It was a free upgrade for a long time, and it's always been known old systems will be unsupported and dropped eventually. And even if u don't believe a free upgrade is good win 10 keys costs like 15-20$.
    edited December 2021

micky1p00 said:

Yes, Microsoft very much cares about keeping a stranglehold on any market they can reach.
    So how Cryptic stopping support for Windows 7 supports that hypothesis. A person may as well move to iOS, Linux, consoles, etc.. if their favorite and maybe only game no longer works on the PC, why they need Microsoft anymore?

Per "keeping a stranglehold" Microsoft should pay Cryptic to keep supporting Windows XP and older, just to keep you in the Microsoft world of software. No?

You keep mentioning the flat Earth. Could you please clarify, if planned obsolescence, FUD, kickbacks and cartels are in the same compartment in your mind?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slippery_slope
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man

Feel free to prove that Microsoft has paid Cryptic to stop support. You obviously can't then please at least try to argue why they even benefit from it, since Windows 10 is a free upgrade.

Microsoft like anyone else will stop supporting old OS versions with their products, e.g. office 365, and end users will either migrate or migrate. Why they need Cryptic for this? Especially, and no offense to Cryptic, it's negligible. A single good sized school has more households as end-users than Cryptic. So why the hell would they pay Cryptic? If in practice they can force the market to move on their own.

micky1p00 said:

They evaluate the resources needed to keep supporting some users or the blocked features they can't implement vs the loss of revenue from letting those and potential users of the same group go, and make a decision.

All "they" evaluate is a nice new house vs the risk of being fired.

Ok, multiple people that actually involved in actual software development tried to explain you why this is wrong. Yet you keep repeating the same. So where is the misunderstanding here?

You think that the game engine is the same line for line as 2008 one (for Champions online)?
    You think that no new features, from APIs, to ecosystems should be supported by Neverwinter as long as it being worked on?
    Or that an inability to use modern frameworks, hardware, languages and so on doesn't have a cost?

I suggest that you check how much costs a COBOL Developer vs .Net one. The issue above is the same, just on a smaller scale.
    Legacy systems cost a lot to support.

fyrstigor said:

At my work, we don't support anything less than 2016 servers. Our software can run on 2012 and does that fine at many customers. But of they get issues they either pay for any kind of help, or they upgrade the server.

We never received money for dropping support either.

I still don't understand why getting win 10 is the big problem for so many flat earthers. It was a free upgrade for a long time, and it's always been known old systems will be unsupported and dropped eventually. And even if u don't believe a free upgrade is good win 10 keys costs like 15-20$.

In most cases you can still upgrade, you just install (or upgrade install) and use the same W7/W8 Key. The old keys work as long as it's a similar version group: home, professional, etc..
  • remfdtremfdt Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 83 Arc User
    Anyone happen to know if Geforce Now will work for running neverwinter after Feb 15 (e.g. from steam via cloud). Supposed to be supported now. See https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce-now/

My gaming system is and will remain win7, at least for awhile, so I'm hoping this is an option...
    remfdt said:

Anyone happen to know if Geforce Now will work for running neverwinter after Feb 15 (e.g. from steam via cloud). Supposed to be supported now. See https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce-now/

My gaming system is and will remain win7, at least for awhile, so I'm hoping this is an option...

I don't see why it can't because the game is not running in your machine.
  • kohanaskohanas Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited January 2022
    My computer is 12 years old. I've been using windows 7 since it came out. I hate the look of both windows 8 and 10.
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Though with the recent change to Neverwinter, I'm less sad about quitting the game. I've had some good times in game, but I've honestly started moving on to other games in preparation.
    Will I get windows 10? Probably...eventually.
    But I'm not going to upgrade to play an old game past it's prime. And as far as the number of playerbase you'll lose? I'd say at least 25-40%. Good luck.
  • arazith07arazith07 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,719 Arc User
    kohanas said:

My computer is 12 years old. I've been using windows 7 since it came out. I hate the look of both windows 8 and 10.
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Though with the recent change to Neverwinter, I'm less sad about quitting the game. I've had some good times in game, but I've honestly started moving on to other games in preparation.
    But I'm not going to upgrade to play an old game past it's prime. And as far as the number of playerbase you'll lose? I'd say at least 25-40%. Good luck.

Where do you base your 25-40% estimate from I wonder?

• mrimsogoodmrimsogood Member Posts: 147 Arc User
    kohanas said:

If you're still using a decade+ old system with a decade+ old OS that MS stopped supporting 2 years ago then I highly doubt Cryptic cares about you leaving the game or even "pushing" out players like you.
  • seto#6911 seto Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    mwk said:

@nitocris83 This is seriously a horrible foolish move on Cryptic's part! Neverwinter Online will lose lots of playerbase with this decision! Counting also StarTrek Online, but I play Neverwinter Online. This will furious a lot of the playerbase, including me! People losing gamer friends because of this decision! Someone stated only 5%, which is completely false! This could be 50%-72% of the playerbase? Who knows? Decisions like this shouldn't be messed with, because of the unknown. I repeat, it will cost Cryptic a lot on losing many of the playerbase! Most people don't buy a new computer every 4-10+ years! My computer that I'm using is from 2011. My graphics card variant only goes up to 11.2 Directx and mostly runs on 10.1. Also I run Windows 7 and personally I hate Windows 10, because my Dad got updated without consent from Windows 8; he hates it but deals with it! Out of my experience, I agree with my Dad just trying to work the darn Windows 10 OS! Also Windows 10 has lots of bloatware and that's not all I can discuss about Windows 10! It's so confusing and navigating is such a pain! Just for me to upgrade myself, I have to go with Windows 10! I can deal with Windows 8 if I'm lucky to find that OS version, but I prefer Windows 7! Forcing the playerbase to upgrade an OS is going furious a lot when it's not someone's preference on OS version. I guess it's back to Perfect World International with me? Perfect World International has improved optimization without the need to upgrade anything. The only thing Perfect World International has updated is to run with multiple cores. The game runs really smoothly now and runs on potato. Neverwinter Online doesn't need to change a thing! Seriously I will protest if Cryptic takes this game away from me! I can't afford a new computer at the moment! Want performance? How about updating the c++ programming in the game?! It's really poorly executed and outdated. That I can deal with! The game performance runs fine, so stop with this decision! It's quite the foolish move decision! I beg Cryptic to take this advice! Fine my computer hard drive has one bad sector. Though it's not increasing and I know this over years with CrystalDisk check. My computer laptop still runs fine. I got only that one bad sector, which is just lost electromagnetism on hard drive disk that hasn't increased in years since I noticed it. The fact of point is that people buy another computer until the old breaks entirely and that's most people! I'm not much of a high-end gamer and also most people don't want to simply spend money for a new graphics card just to play this game with this future decision! Basically states Cryptic you're going to lose like 98%-99% of the playerbase! I'm looking at Newegg and other places, so technically Cryptic are being fools to make most of playerbase spend over $100 or $60 to upgrade their machines just to play Neverwinter Online. The playerbase will have to upgrade spending their wallet with at least a GTX 460 for $60+ just for a Directx11. Perhaps also update their OS and/or upgrade to a new computer entirely, which is even worse! Windows 10 Home costs $139 and not a lot of the playerbase want to go through the hassle! So clearly Cryptic's foolish decision on this will in fact lose a lot of the playerbase! *Drops the keyboard* Convinced now?! I hope I get a lot of agree on this post. 50%-72% or risking 98%-99% of the playerbase, which is true because this game attracts low-end gamers. Honestly I can't tell you the numbers, but 50%-72% seems quite accurate close and that's quite a lot! This game is 2013 made. Practically every majority I met in this game has lower end computer than these requirements. That tells Cryptic's decision being a mistake and I'm not lying!

Edit: Gosh I spent practically all night typing this and proof reading this forums thread post I submitted. I can't sleep thinking about a game that will be taken away from me! My state is practically buying a whole new computer, which is going to cost me over $500 for something decent to actually play this game! Cryptic is making a huge mistake for the playerbase!

[Part 2]

Literally Cryptic, you're making players have to spend over $500 dollars for something worth while, when times are rough at the moment due to Covid restrictions. Most are out of a job and working from home temporary and not making enough money to afford a whole new computer. People have priorities and not buying a new computer, when it still functions! This is reality! Most of everyone with low-end computers have at least 4G-8G of ram. My 2011 laptop computer runs with 8G of ram. Everyone else, which isn't the majority has 16G-32G of ram. Again this is an old 2013 (Neverwinter Online). I don't expect it to upgrade, when the game runs just fine. The only problem Cryptic is that forcing players to upgrade is quite a foolish move worth while to spend just to play a game. Again losing gamer friendships because of this ridiculous decision! Times are rough atmosphere and this will upset lots of players during these rough times. Again this game runs fine for anyone playing! Cryptic this is the community and I think this is a foolish idea!

So forcing people to upgrade to at least Windows 10 for an update of the game worth while is ridiculous, when most don't even like Windows 10! I hate Windows 10! Windows 10 is trash! Don't force people to upgrade to another OS just to play this game! Why do people hate Windows 10? It installs trash and forces updates without the consent. SO MANY REASONS and it glitches at times! There are many reasons you can literally Google about Windows 10 and even watch on YouTube on why people hate it so much! Me to run Windows 8 is going to be hard to find or obtain, because I can deal with Windows 8. Cryptic thinks everyone has a higher-end computer...THAT IS FALSE! My computer runs this game with high-medium settings and at least can run with ambient occlusion. So technically my computer is decent to run this game! Don't change that on the playerbase! This game is perfect at least with running Directx 10 and at least can run with Directx 11 grasp at the same time capability. It works for all gamers! DON'T CHANGE A THING! Cryptic you will regret it based on how much playerbase will be lost with this decision!

EDIT NOTE: Most of the Windows 10 users were forced by Microsoft without consent! That's been legit. Same thing for those when Windows 8 came out. People just learned to deal with new Windows or simply moved to Mac Apple. That's history for you Cryptic!

Well simply put anyone who is playing on a computer that can not run windows 10 has more important things to worry about than playing a game. Any computer made going all the way back for the last 12 or 15 years will run windows 10 if the computer will run windows 7 it will do windows 10
    The likely hood of even 1% not being able to play is pretty much zero Literally no one who plays games at all ditched windows for a mac linux maybe mac nope.
    As far as windows 10 install issues those are long long gone. It was only happening for a couple months maybe 3 or 4 total. I had to deal with probably 200 computers in that time where a automatic update from 7 or 8 caused a crash. Most of those issues i discovered were actually from people ither force powering off the computer or power failures. Only a very small number were from the process of simply updating.

I have been a computer tech for 30 years pretty much every thing you said in your extremely long rant is nonsense of the highest order.
    If you want to stick with windows 7 because you like it go right ahead i doubt cryptic will miss you at all. 2011 computer with 8gb ram will handle windows 10 just fine in fact it will even handle windows 11 preview build i should know i have a old beater laptop with exactly that from 2010 that runs 10 just fine even better than it did windows 7.

You want to run a end of life os go right on ahead. Windows 7 gets no updates meaning security issues are piling up. Some times i wish microsoft would push 1 final update to completely disable all higher os functions such as network connectivity on these very very old operating systems. I still see windows 98 se machines trying to find new machines to infect in my firewall logs daily
  • mwkmwk Member Posts: 401 Arc User
    edited February 2022
    arazith07 said:

kohanas said:

Where do you base your 25-40% estimate from I wonder?
    I really think it's an estimation on how many Windows 7 users. I will make a comment that I chatted with a few Windows 7 users, so there's quite a lot actually more than you think. It's sad I can't play, but that's temporary until I can afford a new computer. I have priorities of my own expense for the meantime. I'm not making much money, though it's enough to survive. At least I have real paying job, but it's been on halt and it's expanding the facility to help deal with covid procedure. Sometimes I regret buying a 2017 or 2018 mac :/ laptop for daily use, because my friends peer pressure me to; bought before covid hit. This windows 7 computer actually came from a relative. BLAH BLAH. You know the story. I'm not much of a gamer anyways...just this MMORPG.

• razor4lpharazor4lpha Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 89 Arc User
    kalina311 said:

.and avoid having to hire people to test such legacy configurations and maintain old code and and tech support feed questions and answer relating to it as well that only 1% of the population on 1/3 of their platforms use..clearly NOT the most lucrative revenue /steam/windows 7 player population metric to be catering to and i am saying that nicely ..

While I agree with the rest, they are not known about their rigorous testing of .. anything.

• shirghe#4424 shirghe Member Posts: 59 Arc User

Fantastic Update, Cryptic. Keep Your Onslaught Up! Forget All Grumpy Gamers On Those Systems.
  • fademist#5406 fademist Member Posts: 58 Arc User
    arazith07 said:

@micky1p00 I'll repeat my question. What does it have to do with dropping Windows 7 support?

Two things are happening in this news update, dropping support for Win7 and upgrading the minimum required directx required for PCs.
    and with that force thing they can lose ppl ..really good job

• fademist#5406 fademist Member Posts: 58 Arc User
    micky1p00 said:

Any modern CPU with integrated GPU will run the game better than what you have there, so why you are buying 3060 and a laptop?

so u r manageing hes wallet ?
  • omack#6690 omack Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    Well thank you sooo much for killing access to this game, I am a windows 7 user and hate windows 10. So now out into the cold cruel world of searching for a new game to play.