test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Patch Notes: NW.131.20210803b.15

nitocris83nitocris83 Member, Cryptic Developer, Administrator Posts: 4,495 Cryptic Developer
General
• A new introductory video has been added to the game. The Ravenloft intro video can still be viewed from the “Replay Video” option on the login screen.

Comments

• seto#6911 seto Member Posts: 8 Arc User

When do you plan on fixing the Campaign button always showing a notification that there is a reward or something to claim? It is at least annoying and it is happening only on one of my characters...

Would you consider an option to suppress notifications(the glow the buttons receive to be precise) on some of the buttons in the menu bar?(Like Collections, Campaigns or Crafting)

When do you plan on fixing the lag issues that are like a plague in the game? I don't understand how the "same" devs can make Well of the Dragons support 50 players/instance with no lag on Herald runs yet 15 players in Avernus is literally hell...

When do you plan on fixing the issue where if a player Seals the Rift inside an insurrection, nobody receives any reward?

When do you plan on fixing the issue where you can start a Bel challenge, the activation circle activates with 4 or less players even if the party is a full 5 player party?

Nobody needs a remodel of the Tarmalune Trade corner, nobody needs a new video, we need a game that works, it's lag free and we don't need to come with all sorts of hacky workarounds to enjoy the released content.

And don't blame my internet connection or ISP, Neverwinter is the only game I network lag with sometimes +10 seconds of packet delay and on average +0.4 seconds when an Avernus instance is full.

I honestly don't think i have ever seen that much lag in neverwitner unless the server is about to crash which is pretty rare.
    .4 seconds is about 400 ms sub half second. That would be fairly hard to notice in most cases. But honestly if you are getting that much lag then maybe you do have a issue with your isp or route to host nither of which is a issue that they can fix on their end and would be up to your isp to fix. Just because you do not have a issue with most other games does not mean the issue is not with your isp. Servers are located all over the world and a change of just a few miles can result in wildly different routes.
    A example a server in Cincinnati Ohio might be perfect and one in Columbus can be totally HAMSTER when accessed from Cleveland even though the one in columbus is closer physically your isp might route you to la california as a hop to the columbus server while the one in cincinati is routed far more directly.

The thing is if it was this bad then this would be very wide spread everyone would be effected. I do stuff in avernus all the time full instances empty ones and it makes little difference
  • seto#6911 seto Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    seto#6911 said:

When do you plan on fixing the Campaign button always showing a notification that there is a reward or something to claim? It is at least annoying and it is happening only on one of my characters...

Would you consider an option to suppress notifications(the glow the buttons receive to be precise) on some of the buttons in the menu bar?(Like Collections, Campaigns or Crafting)

When do you plan on fixing the lag issues that are like a plague in the game? I don't understand how the "same" devs can make Well of the Dragons support 50 players/instance with no lag on Herald runs yet 15 players in Avernus is literally hell...

When do you plan on fixing the issue where if a player Seals the Rift inside an insurrection, nobody receives any reward?

When do you plan on fixing the issue where you can start a Bel challenge, the activation circle activates with 4 or less players even if the party is a full 5 player party?

Nobody needs a remodel of the Tarmalune Trade corner, nobody needs a new video, we need a game that works, it's lag free and we don't need to come with all sorts of hacky workarounds to enjoy the released content.

And don't blame my internet connection or ISP, Neverwinter is the only game I network lag with sometimes +10 seconds of packet delay and on average +0.4 seconds when an Avernus instance is full.

I honestly don't think i have ever seen that much lag in neverwitner unless the server is about to crash which is pretty rare.
    .4 seconds is about 400 ms sub half second. That would be fairly hard to notice in most cases. But honestly if you are getting that much lag then maybe you do have a issue with your isp or route to host nither of which is a issue that they can fix on their end and would be up to your isp to fix. Just because you do not have a issue with most other games does not mean the issue is not with your isp. Servers are located all over the world and a change of just a few miles can result in wildly different routes.
    A example a server in Cincinnati Ohio might be perfect and one in Columbus can be totally HAMSTER when accessed from Cleveland even though the one in columbus is closer physically your isp might route you to la california as a hop to the columbus server while the one in cincinati is routed far more directly.

The thing is if it was this bad then this would be very wide spread everyone would be effected. I do stuff in avernus all the time full instances empty ones and it makes little difference
    Also a possible fix under options in launcher select use proxy ither eu or us depending on where you are. That might fix your issue

• wigdahlwigdahl Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    I've seen tons of lag with Avernus, when the instance is full....almost impossible to play. I've been gaming for about 20 years now and I would have thought that they would figure out how to avoid ISP routing problems. But then I am assuming that they care about playability. I wonder how the other much larger games manage to avoid that issue, maybe they could research that, rather than blaming the ISP.
  • jabberghast#1974 jabberghast Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited August 2021
    nice video :+1:
  • mattachinemattachine Member Posts: 189 Arc User
    edited August 2021
    What they are telling us that they do not have anyone on staff that is capable of fixing the bugs that the content creators seem to create more and more of. Bugs that impact not only new content but content that has years of working perfectly before.

By the way, REALLY GREAT VIDEO

not skipable and no sound.

SUPER GREAT WORK
  • jabobohjaboboh Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited August 2021

not skipable and no sound.

SUPER GREAT WORK

Sound works fine on my end and I was able to skip the video.

• finmakinfinmakin Member Posts: 442 Arc User
    edited August 2021
    @nitocris83
    Altough it's a nice new introduction video, let that be known.
    But in my eyes it shows clearly where the loyalty lies of Cryptic by leaving out Healers and Tanks..
    My two cents
    Ogguk The Beholder… Justicar Paladin Tank/ Healer
  • jabberghast#1974 jabberghast Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    > @finmakin said:
    > Altough it's a nice new introduction video, let that be known.
    > But in my eyes it shows clearly where the loyalty lies of Cryptic by leaving out Healers and Tanks..
    > My two cents

Bard can be a healer, Barb can be a tank. Don't read too much into it.
  • alexander33622alexander33622 Member Posts: 2 Arc User

The lag I'm experiencing is only in Avernus, as I've stated, a Herald Run in Well of Dragons with 50 players doesn't even phase the network graph, no rubber banding, no delay in packets, you missed the whole "Avernus" part in my complaint. It is not related to the routing part, I've ran tracert & pings to Cryptics server and they all return normal values (~170-200ms), considering the server is in Boston, USA and I'm in Germany and those values are barely noticeable in the game.

However the moment I go to Avernus, my ping doesn't go under ~300ms on an instance with 4-5 players, a full 15 players is running at 400-10000ms to the point I get disconnected and running the /netgraph 1 command shows the recv packets blowing out of proportions.

I doubt my PC can't handle the game, I have a Ryzen 2700x proc and a RX 5700XT graphics card with 16gb of RAM...

The problem is the game itself, how new maps like Avernus are handled by the GameServer or whatever the process that is running the handling of the characters interacting with the game.

My bet is that the GameServer is sending so much data that I basically get DoSed, my game client panics and is either rubber banding me back while handling all the data and resyincing with the GameServer or straight up disconnects me (DoS - Denial of Service)

I'm not a Cryptic dev and nor have the time to sit and run wireshark or some network monitoring software to see what kind of data is sent, but I can bet it is some data in there that shouldn't be sent or the client itself has some limitations when too much data is received...
  • littlevclittlevc Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    An introductory video? Really? How about, I don’t know, getting ALL of the Campaign Weapon Sets into the game for Bards?
  • arliekkosarliekkos Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    Loved the video! :+1:
  • mentinmindmakermentinmindmaker Member Posts: 1,489 Arc User
    edited August 2021

Since this is something happening on just one character and I have not seen this complaint from others, the most likely reason is that character has something you forgot to collect.

This is a highly individual request and again I have not heard anyone else complain about it. I guess you can agree that it would be better if Cryptic focuses their very limited resources on bugs that everyone care about?

Ah.. the old lag complaint. The general answer to that is that _I_ do not lag. If there was a general game problem, everyone would lag. That that means the source of the lag is either your network or your local system. Many people are unhappy about that answer since it means they must fix this and can't just blame Cryptic.. but it is correct nonetheless.

Indeed, Cryptic should move their HAMSTER and fix this.

Nobody needs a remodel of the Tarmalune Trade corner,

I suspect this was to make room for new content coming soon.

nobody needs a new video,

True, I was a bit surprised they spent resources on this. But: There are several departments within Cryptic that do not overlap each other. It could be that their animation department had available resources, or it could be an intern/student project, or someone being trained on the Cryptic tools etc etc. You cannot assume that the resources spent on the video could have been used elsewhere.

we need a game that works, it's lag free and we don't need to come with all sorts of hacky workarounds to enjoy the released content.

True ;)

Yes I will blame your Internet connection/ISP. The way routing in the Internet works, all connections go their own individual path through multiple hops, and it is sufficient that one such hop is congested for you to lag. The paths to different games could be completely different, so you can have massive lag to one game and none to the other even if both game servers are fine

Basically again: If someone else is not lagging, it is a problem near you. If there was a network problem near Cryptic everyone or at least very many players would lag.

• arieswytch#9832 arieswytch Member Posts: 110 Arc User

Since this is something happening on just one character and I have not seen this complaint from others, the most likely reason is that character has something you forgot to collect.

It's been reported in the bug channel, so others are seeing it as well. This is happening to me on 5 of my toons, 4 that were leveled up to max from the new mod and one that I started and leveled to max in the new mod. There is nothing to collect on these toons.
  • grrowler#0622 grrowler Member Posts: 185 Arc User
    edited August 2021
    I was curious about the new Jewel of the North launch video -

was it made completely with cgi/3d models, or is it an actual physical model where some small drone with a camera was used to zoom around?

The majority of the video seems to be static models/landscapes that are not moving, up until the very end where the entire landscape starts breaking apart - which leads me to think that it is cgi... ?

overall, the video looks ok. It is certainly a depature from the previous NW launcher videos. I did not really like the background song.
  • tipsylu#5922 tipsylu Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    Ha Ha what intro video? It has never shown up for me since it was added. Must be nice.
    Speaking of nice, it would be nice if Cryptic actually spent time fixing bugs instead of cosmetic fixes. Changing the old Sharandar trolls to the new ones in other parts of Neverwinter Maps is frivolous and really does nothing to improve the functionality of the game. It just busy work for your devs, not for the overall betterment of the game. Very dissapointing.

Also back adding attacks to lower zones is annoying. What is the point of continually upgrading new attacks at higher level zones to lower level zones? If you want to make new content harder leave the older zones be without those backwards adds. It will give new players some challenges that would not be there otherwise.
  • razor4lpharazor4lpha Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 89 Arc User
    edited September 2021

It is widespread, plenty of new toons have it constantly on, opening everything does not fix it.
    Similar issues appear with the mailbox, everything read but the indicator still glows, everything deleted .. still the same - the latter affects old account too, once it is broken, broken for the whole account.