test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Steam chart numbers worrying

mynaammynaam Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 937 Arc User
edited January 2020 in General Discussion (PC)
The 12 month steam charts are really scary. Before i say anything else yes i know not all players use steam. Steam however is a good indication of mid level and lower level players (non BIS). These are normally the players that still need items and as such spend money on the game. the dramatic drop in players just indicates what a disastrous 2019 the game had.

At the end of 2018 (December) there was 2,236 average players
At the end of 2019(December) there was 1,406 average players

That is a (doing it in my head so might be wrong) 37% drop in player base year to year. This is a clear indication that what was done in 2019 was WRONG. a Large % of this drop was during mod 17 :-1: Mod 17 seems to be worst than mod 16

August : 1675
October : 1398 (thank fully the holiday had a bit of increase but that tends to be temp players)

This is a clear indication that BIS only mentality and harder is better is not a smart move. Please listen too 100% of players not just 1%. The 1% have almost all they need already and thus do not need to buy zen with real money. lower level players and lower geared players need to spend money. If these players are not happy the game loose money if the game loose too much money no more game. We don't want that !!!!
There are more than BIS players in this game
RIP Real Tiamat, RIP Real Demogorgon RIP real Temple of the spider. Why remove non bis content to give to bis players ????
FORCING the majority of your player base to play 4 mod old dungeons and trial will have a bad result on player base
Changes are getting so bad i would rather prefer no new changes (RIP ICE FISHING in winter fest)

Comments

• Options
    arkai#8115 arkai Member Posts: 191 Arc User
    Dont forget about ravenloft banwave! Here was the real start of losing trustability from theyr endgame banning ppl without advertising permaban in some case killing playerbase and after relase mod16 another endgame killer..we advertised they no listened us...idk but every manager will see this as a huge flop. game like path of exile have 60k ppl day overage.i just hope this game bring back is shining time to us. Aniway rainer nove northside kali yutubber had explaine in theyr vid this situation better then me.
  • Options
    plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,223 Arc User
    edited January 2020

Dont forget about ravenloft banwave! Here was the real start of losing trustability from theyr endgame banning ppl without advertising permaban in some case killing playerbase and after relase mod16 another endgame killer..we advertised they no listened us...idk but every manager will see this as a huge flop. game like path of exile have 60k ppl day overage.i just hope this game bring back is shining time to us. Aniway rainer nove northside kali yutubber had explaine in theyr vid this situation better then me.

I believe you came from console.

In here, we are talking about PC. Steam is about PC. The impact of ban gate in PC was less than console. It was not as widespread as console. It was patched in PC before the exact detail of how-to was publicly released by THE web site. The surprise was the console version was not patched when they released Ravenloft to console and people knew how-to on day 1.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • Options
    greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,095 Arc User

Yes, blame the company because people were going out of their way to do something that they knew was wrong.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • Options
    darthpotaterdarthpotater Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,259 Arc User
    Loving this kind of posts, thank you @micky1p00 for that slap in the face to doomsayers.
    Lescar PvE Wizard - Sir Garlic PvE Paladin
    Caturday Survivor
    Elemental Evil Survivor
    Undermontain Survivor
    Mod20 Combat rework Survivor
    Mod22 Refinement rework Survivor
  • Options
    edenfay#2737 edenfay Member Posts: 55 Arc User

Loving this kind of posts, thank you @micky1p00 for that slap in the face to doomsayers.

If I follow the discussion correctly, these figures are still a bit grim... just not in the way the original poster interpreted. M17 had a negligible effect on the playerbase, but M16 had already coincided with a massive depletion on a scale not likely to be repeated a second time (or else the game really would be on life support.) And correct me if I'm wrong, but after a huge outlier -29% drop, this further reduces the playerbase to those already least likely to leave. So if MOD18 only produces a negative bounce equivalent to MOD14 (the successful one!), we still have a real problem.
  • Options
    mentinmindmakermentinmindmaker Member Posts: 1,490 Arc User
    Well, graphs show a 50% drop in players from summer 18 to summer 19, primarily driven by mod 16.

That _is_ pretty scary.

This is also supported by a drop in ZAX processing rate from 1M/day to now 0.5M/day.
  • Options
    micky1p00micky1p00 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,594 Arc User
    edited January 2020

If I follow the discussion correctly, these figures are still a bit grim... just not in the way the original poster interpreted. M17 had a negligible effect on the playerbase, but M16 had already coincided with a massive depletion on a scale not likely to be repeated a second time (or else the game really would be on life support.) And correct me if I'm wrong, but after a huge outlier -29% drop, this further reduces the playerbase to those already least likely to leave. So if MOD18 only produces a negative bounce equivalent to MOD14 (the successful one!), we still have a real problem.
    Yes, that is probably the case, players who survived M16 are likely to keep playing, so we are around some core player base numbers with ofc some rotation of new players, quitting players, taking a break players, and returning players either to see M16 changes or M17 challange. The relatively flat line is interesting as compared to the usual cycles even within the said core player base but that's a whole discussion.

My post was to show the lies in the OPs post. You can see repeating of the same multiple times if you check their posting history, and you will see me refuting their claims each time.
    They also do so on every social platform available, on many content creators channels and so on. Blaming ToMM for what I assume their ineptitude in guild leadership or some other personal hatred, like friends quitting. With the multiple examples of "players that didn't finish CR / LoMM" which have nothing to do with ToMM.

I will not say that things are great in general, nor I have pink glasses. I've countered false positivity multiple times in the past and will do so.
    But skewing any data in any direction to try to create a false biased image hurts the game and the player base. Everyone free to hate any content, and advocate against it, but lying about it, that's a no no.
    Post edited by micky1p00 on
  • Options
    blargskullblargskull Member Posts: 514 Arc User
    Whatever. All I did was post the PSN numbers for this game over on the PS4 side of the forum last month and everyone told me, I am wrong, the webpage is wrong, and Sony is wrong about their data collection on this game. I guess statistics don't matter because math is wrong? I am going back to my high school reunion and I hope my old math teacher is there, so I can punch him in the face. He told me math would help me get ahead in the "real world". I guess it just don't apply to games.

meh. :anguished:

Just killing time...
  • Options
    thefiresidecatthefiresidecat Member Posts: 4,486 Arc User
    edited January 2020
    this game has a lot of issues, true enough. I'm holding out onto some hope that Chris really does manage to swing the ship around though. mod 16 had to have been a wake up call
  • Options
    mentinmindmakermentinmindmaker Member Posts: 1,490 Arc User
    edited January 2020
    Looking at the numbers I see this pattern:
    * The normal trend is that average player numbers fall slowly. This is as expected in an aged game that receive limited marketing.
    * Then comes a mod, and player numbers soar. How successful a mod as been can be measured in the peak player numbers before and after the mod spike.

From this we can see:
    M14 Ravenloft June 26, 2018: 3900 -> 4484. 15% increase, Big success. Also the mod spike was solid, up to 5685. This shows a mod with much attention that the playerbase liked.
    M15 Heart of Fire November 6, 2018: 4107->3875. 6% decrease. Not so good. Also the mod spike was very low(4291), almost unnoticeable in the graphs. The decrease can be attributed to the normal over time decay, so the playerbase basically passed over this mod with a yawn.
    M16 Undermountain April 23, 2019: 3684->2632. 20% decrease. The mod spike however was quite high(4464), which shows this was a mod that received much attention, but the result was overall rejected by the playerbase.
    M17 Uprising August 13, 2019: 2603->2470. 5% decrease. The mod spike was only at 2889. Very similar to mod 15, the mod was met with a yawn from the users. Decrease can be attributed to normal time decay.

As for the specific question of ToMM(mod 17), I think it is fair to say it has not had much effect, neither up or down. Which represents a wasted opportunity.

From these numbers we can divide the mods in 3 categories:
    Good Stuff: M14 Ravenloft
    Lost opportunities: M15 Heart of Fire, M17 Uprising
    Disasters: M16 Undermountain

We need more of the Good Stuff, that could possibly increase the player numbers somewhat again. Much of the game marketing probably is mouth to ear or on social media.

Base data here:
    https://steamcharts.com/app/109600#1y
  • Options
    greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,095 Arc User
    I only use the Arc Client when I choose to charge zen. I use the resident .exe to log in.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • Options
    autumnwitchautumnwitch Member Posts: 1,136 Arc User
    Just to add a few more numbers to the mix. NW is currently at the 39th most played FTP game on Xbox.

Sony changed their charts a bit but NW was not in the top ten down loaded FTP games in December or 2019 in general. Sadly, this just gives us an idea of new player downloads.

And I am confident that Magic will take a nice chuck of newer to mid-levels players away from NW at least for a while.
    Boudica's Sisters - A Guild For Introverts
  • Options
    tchefi#6735 tchefi Member Posts: 417 Arc User
    edited January 2020

Do all your pretty charts and graphs show players who don't use Steam to play the game? I for one play the game directly through the Arc Client, not Steam. I also know i'm not the only one that prefer's that method.

Doesn't matter. Steam charts can only show the number of steamplayers playing NWO which are only a fraction of the total NWO players. Yep.

But quite surely, steam NWO population can, for statistic purposes, be chosen as a representative sample for all the NWO players (yeah, maybe it's still a bit biased, Arc users are likely to be more faithful to NWO than steam users maybe for exemple, but I'm confident enough we are not completely missing the target...), especially because the steam population playing NWO is still big enough (remind you that if you play 4h, you are counting as 1 player during 4 hours, and 0 for the rest of the day, the chart shows the peak and the average during 24h, i'm sure you can do at least x6 on the average number to get how many different players has been connected during one day). 10 001 is quite a standard number used in human population survey as a sample for any total population above some few millions of habitants (as an exemple the TV audiences are statistically extrapolated. When channel X says the audience for his show was 3M people in US, in fact it's extrapolated from the fraction of the 25 000 houses equiped with a specific device and who had watched this show).

I don't know how many players are really playing NWO. But I'm quite confident that the portion shown in the steamcharts behaves quite closely to how the total fluctuates.
    Post edited by tchefi#6735 on
  • Options
    antok500#4237 antok500 Member Posts: 100 Arc User

I don't know how many players are really playing NWO. But I'm quite confident that the portion shown in the steamcharts behaves quite closely to how the total fluctuates.

I agree. It is the most useful number in a subject lacking published data.

Steam is a bit more complex to analyse than just equating its numbers with player numbers though. It measures concurrent players so a drop in numbers can be caused by people playing for shorter periods as well as a simple drop in the number playing at all. Large numbers only logging on to invoke will drop concurrent player numbers not just players not logging on at all. The median and average playtime can give a bit of an indicator into which effect is driving changes.

Numbers have seemed stable or slightly increased since the holidays. So either people are playing longer or new players are exceeding losses. The last couple of double XP etc events saw increases probably because they reward increased play time.

My take on the overall trend is that Mod 7-14 were a long haul repair job on the debacle of Mod 6. They made more good decisions than bad ones as they repaired player numbers to their post launch peak of Ravenloft and the 5 year Jubilee. Huntgate marked a shift as they consistently made more bad decisions than good ones and player numbers fell most particularly with their very own Mod 6; the awful Mod 16. PWE/Cryptic may share some of this analysis as they made significant leadership changes after Mod 6 and now after Mod 16.
  • Options
    dread4moordread4moor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,154 Arc User
    mynaam said:

At the end of 2018 (December) there was 2,236 average players
    At the end of 2019(December) there was 1,406 average players

That is a (doing it in my head so might be wrong) 37% drop in player base year to year. This is a clear indication that what was done in 2019 was WRONG. a Large % of this drop was during mod 17 :-1: Mod 17 seems to be worst than mod 16

A student of the Brian Fantana school of statistical analysis.

JrUzbQw.jpg?1
    I am Took.
    "Full plate and packing steel" in NW since 2013.
  • Options
    sandukutupusandukutupu Member Posts: 2,285 Arc User

Do all your pretty charts and graphs show players who don't use Steam to play the game? I for one play the game directly through the Arc Client, not Steam. I also know i'm not the only one that prefer's that method.

Doesn't matter. Steam charts can only show the number of steamplayers playing NWO which are only a fraction of the total NWO players. Yep.

But quite surely, steam NWO population can, for statistic purposes, be chosen as a representative sample for all the NWO players (yeah, maybe it's still a bit biased, Arc users are likely to be more faithful to NWO than steam users maybe for exemple, but I'm confident enough we are not completely missing the target...), especially because the steam population playing NWO is still big enough (remind you that if you play 4h, you are counting as 1 player during 4 hours, and 0 for the rest of the day, the chart shows the peak and the average during 24h, i'm sure you can do at least x6 on the average number to get how many different players has been connected during one day). 10 001 is quite a standard number used in human population survey as a sample for any total population above some few millions of habitants (as an exemple the TV audiences are statistically extrapolated. When channel X says the audience for his show was 3M people in US, in fact it's extrapolated from the fraction of the 25 000 houses equiped with a specific device and who had watched this show).

Over the course of time, I have done several in game surveys for population and found the Steam players represent roughly 40% of the PC community. I really don't care about population. There could be 200 people playing, I would still be here. If anyone says, Neverwinter is not losing population, they are wrong. ALL games lose population over time. The addition of module 18 will show a temporary rise and the population will ebb and level back out to bit less than it was before the module. The people posting data are not looking at the big picture, compared to other games within the same population, you will see little difference.

wb-cenders.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2020

Over the course of time, I have done several in game surveys for population and found the Steam players represent roughly 40% of the PC community. I really don't care about population. There could be 200 people playing, I would still be here. If anyone says, Neverwinter is not losing population, they are wrong. ALL games lose population over time. The addition of module 18 will show a temporary rise and the population will ebb and level back out to bit less than it was before the module. The people posting data are not looking at the big picture, compared to other games within the same population, you will see little difference.

https://steamcharts.com/cmp/582660,109600,238960,306130#1y

All of the above have their own launchers and not exclusive to steam, they also about the same age.

I would say that steam players are significantly less than 40%, probably towards the 10% if not less.
  • Options
    tchefi#6735 tchefi Member Posts: 417 Arc User
    edited January 2020

ALL games lose population over time. The addition of module 18 will show a temporary rise and the population will ebb and level back out to bit less than it was before the module.

If you take the mod10 to mod14 (roughly mid2016 to mid2018), Neverwinter was consistently gaining more players. No big rise at mod11, 12 or 13, no big drop short after each release, but a constant growing (which personnaly i was feeling in game) during those mods.
    Losing population is not the fatal destiniy of a MMORPG. All depend on what you are releasing.
    Let's put another steam charts => Eve Online :P https://steamcharts.com/cmp/109600,9900,706220,8500#All (Yeah, ok, it's another league compared to NWO, maybe, i admit)

• Options
    micky1p00 said:

All of the above have their own launchers and not exclusive to steam, they also about the same age.

I would say that steam players are significantly less than 40%, probably towards the 10% if not less.

Where did you get 10% from? I asked people in the game. If you ask people on the Steam Forums you will get bias numbers for Steam and if you ask here you get bias numbers toward Arc Launcher. When you sit down and ask 100 or more people in the game chat, then come back here and post your results. Pulling 10% out of your hat don't make it so.

wb-cenders.gif
  • Options

micky1p00 said:

Where did you get 10% from? I asked people in the game. If you ask people on the Steam Forums you will get bias numbers for Steam and if you ask here you get bias numbers toward Arc Launcher. When you sit down and ask 100 or more people in the game chat, then come back here and post your results. Pulling 10% out of your hat don't make it so.

It will depends on the hat. What if I have a very nice hat?

To assess 40% or not 40% I don't need to ask people in the game. I can count people. You first attempt with this was better, you just didn't count the new zone on a new mod release, where most of the players were which invalidated the results.

But lets say it is 40%.
    1. We are talking trands here and not total population. Because we can argue until the end of time, but we don't know the total.
    2. You added the wrong games into the comparison, SA edition for example and not global version. Look at the games I've linked, interestingly, like I've said, they have their own launcher too.

• Options
    edited January 2020

Sometimes think that posting on the forums for you guys is all about the arguing and point scoring. as to why....now that IS a question (and no nonsensical fairy tale statistical data required).

Easy peasy:

credit:
    https://xkcd.com/386/

As to why the above happens, that's above my pay grade, my education in psychology is limited, thought I have some good guesses and they are not flattering.

But you are right, sometimes offtopic is offtopic. It's not relevant how much steam is in % of the players, and it was my mistake to reply about that.
  • Options
    dionchidionchi Member Posts: 919 Arc User
    edited January 2020
    As far as I'm concerned, the only reason any of this matters - the only people it should matter for - is the Neverwinter/Cryptic folks as it relates to their revenue flow and I'm betting their "statistics" are a little more accurate than taking a STEAM chart and trying to figure out if and how that applies to players logging in through ARC. :confounded:

Me, I could care less if 2,000 or 20,000 people log on during any time period. It doesn't change the nature of various quests or campaigns, random content is still random and those who log in to primarily cash in on in-game currency are still going to log in to try increase their currency hoard.

But come to think of it, the player census may be of concern to some of the game "whales" who likely are more concerned with their own personal in-game wealth because with a decline in player population, no doubt will see a decline in people desirous and able to pay some of the overly inflated prices many of their items currently sell for.
    DD~
  • Options
    dionchi said:

As far as I'm concerned, the only reason any of this matters - the only people it should matter for - is the Neverwinter/Cryptic folks as it relates to their revenue flow and I'm betting their "statistics" are a little more accurate than taking a STEAM chart and trying to figure out if and how that applies to players logging in through ARC. :confounded:

Me, I could care less if 2,000 or 20,000 people log on during any time period. It doesn't change the nature of various quests or campaigns, random content is still random and those who log in to primarily cash in on in-game currency are still going to log in to try increase their currency hoard.

But come to think of it, the player census may be of concern to some of the game "whales" who likely are more concerned with their own personal in-game wealth because with a decline in player population, no doubt will see a decline in people desirous and able to pay some of the overly inflated prices many of their items currently sell for.

I agree, as I said above, wouldn't matter to me if 200 people are playing. This information is only important to the money makers (Hasbro, PWE, etc.) that back the game. I never say a game is "dying", as they all suffer population loss over time. A game is only dead when they turn off the servers forever. New modules is like feeding it a candy bar and the game gets a sugar high for a short burst.

I called my whale friends --the ones I have their cellphone numbers-- the response was, maybe this weekend, if I am not busy. Only one decline my invite telling me he is having a party this weekend, and next weekend is the Superbowl. Instead of bantering about the population or lack of it, why don't people who are "worrying about the numbers" call up your friend? I think some of them regret swapping numbers with me.
    wb-cenders.gif