test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Neverwinter player counts

jase2cooljase2cool Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 165 Arc User
edited November 2019 in General Discussion (PC)
@nitocris83 @mimicking#6533

I was saying this for the love of the game i wanted to bring to your attention.

According to Steam player count records now its 2470 its all time low, chances are ARC player count be similar.
I understand that its end of year and people tend to go holiday and all... but this record was lowest since the game started on December 2013 its clearly show is something is wrong with the game direction.

These figure include those who log in invoke get VIP key and logout, quite few people i know will not even login after their VIP expired.

https://steamcharts.com/app/109600

Please do look into what's going on and save the game .

Comments

• Options
    mentinmindmakermentinmindmaker Member Posts: 1,490 Arc User
    There is no reason to believe the Steam charts are not correct. While they only represent a percentage of the NW players, there is no reason to not believe that percentage is fairly constant. So as an indicator of the trend the Steam charts probably are fairly reliable.

There are also other indicators that the player activity(and the associated income for Cryptic) has dropped dramatically:
    * The number of veterans in game is a lot lower than it used to be.. you get a lot of green players in REQ and RTQ these days, and it is painful. Low gear and no tactics knowledge. It seems the game as it is to a lesser degree is able to keep people until they become veterans. This could be because a lot of complexity and challenge was removed with mod 16.
    * The AD to Zen conversion rate used to be 1M Zen/day. Now it seems to be down to 0.4M Zen/day.
    * Guild activity is all over low.

Mod 18 will be decisive. When and if it comes.
  • Options
    tchefi#6735 tchefi Member Posts: 417 Arc User
    edited November 2019

The AD to Zen conversion rate used to be 1M Zen/day. Now it seems to be down to 0.4M Zen/day

Though i agree with the feeling Neverwinter population has dramatically droped since the launch of mod16 (and even more if you go back to the first months of Barovia), the AD/Zen exchange rate is not a good indicator, especially because we are closer and closer to the big black friday sales.
    First, if there are less sellers, there are also less buyers...
    And second, it's the same every year, before Jubilee and Black friday : once you are around one month before, the Zen/day rate is much lower (usually half) than in between (let's say septembre, or february/march) those two big sales events.

• Options
    thefiresidecatthefiresidecat Member Posts: 4,486 Arc User
    edited November 2019
    yeah on xbox it's painfully obvs we've lost the vast majority of our endgamers. if mod 17 had been released in the middle of mod 14 or 15 I'm certain it would have been hoppin. on xbox which I'm pretty sure is a lot more vibrant than pc. the number of players that are even a little close to being actually ready to go in there seems like it's probably about 200 for all of xbox. there was a time when this would have been a super popular thing to try for. right now it seems like there is one or two dedicated groups from each of the bigger alliances and that's pretty much it. a few other ppl who are intent on forming groups in yawning (that will never get much past phase 2) I look back on the groups going to do codg when it was first released and a bit of a challenge compared to most dungeons because of the pp. the alliance would have had about 5 to 8 groups that were pretty much dedicated at any given time. this is not like that. I find it very worrisome and kind of sad. I spent millions outfitting my toon for a party that just never happened. in all honesty I'm about ready to leave the game myself. because of inactivity. don't have anywhere else I particularly want to be but all I'm doing is sitting around recruiting for my guild at this point. there is just nothing to do in game. i've put out some feelers for starting a new dedicated group in alliance and have gotten zero hits. the game feels very dead to me.
  • Options

The AD to Zen conversion rate used to be 1M Zen/day. Now it seems to be down to 0.4M Zen/day

Though i agree with the feeling Neverwinter population has dramatically droped since the launch of mod16 (and even more if you go back to the first months of Barovia), the AD/Zen exchange rate is not a good indicator, especially because we are closer and closer to the big black friday sales.
    First, if there are less sellers, there are also less buyers...
    And second, it's the same every year, before Jubilee and Black friday : once you are around one month before, the Zen/day rate is much lower (usually half) than in between (let's say septembre, or february/march) those two big sales events.

Yeah, I know. But this has been going on even since this summer, if anything I think the Black Friday saving up has caused the conversion rate to drop even lower.

And the nice thing about the ZAX queue as a measurement is that it ties directly into Cryptics income. As long as you can assume that the same percentage of purchased Zen hits the ZAX, it is a direct indicator of Cryptic's income from NW.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Just a data point for those that care:
    My oldest waiting transaction on the ZAX was put into queue on Oct 10th. At that time the queue was around 8M Zen. It should be coming out soon, but I am still waiting.

That is 26 days ago.

That gives a ZAX queue processing rate of less than 0.31M Zen/day.

It likely is particularly low now because people are hoarding Zen for Black Friday, but I never saw it this low.
  • Options
    darthpotaterdarthpotater Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,259 Arc User
    I play only on PC but I dont feel the sky falling.

Some players left, thats true, but that was true also with every mod. My son started to play 2 days ago, and he is leveling a char, so I see what he sees. In every map there are hundreds of new players like him, I even told him that I could help with Charthraxis the dragon in graveyard but I saw there were more than 20 players in that spot, some of them newbies, others not so much.

I was surprised by that because I remember allways void instances in this leveling maps. Also checked other low maps and were full of new players with white / green gear and low level. This new players may not be able to do ToMM in 2 months, but they are what the game needs to be more healthy.

Also low level queues are instapop too.

Maybe the changes with mod 16 / 17 were drastical and not targeting an instant change, but progressive player influx looking for the future. This new players spend more money in the game than most of the veterans, we will see.

Im more optimistic than most of you really.
    Lescar PvE Wizard - Sir Garlic PvE Paladin
    Caturday Survivor
    Elemental Evil Survivor
    Undermontain Survivor
    Mod20 Combat rework Survivor
    Mod22 Refinement rework Survivor
  • Options
    kitkathdkitkathd Member Posts: 286 Arc User
    jase2cool said:

According to Steam player count records now its 2470 its all time low, chances are ARC player count be similar.
    I understand that its end of year and people tend to go holiday and all... but this record was lowest since the game started on December 2013 its clearly show is something is wrong with the game direction.

These figure include those who log in invoke get VIP key and logout, quite few people i know will not even login after their VIP expired.

I have played atleast 5 months out of every year of Neverwinter. Over the years I have always come back and caught right back up and have enjoyed all the changes and the seasonal events and new modules. I say all this cause I recently tried to return again as I always do and the complete class overhauls and level increase completely ruined it for me. Its not that I didn't like the game anymore, its that I was completely and utterly lost. There were no tutorials, I had no character slots available to start a new character to possibly go through a new tutorial, and the game looked insanely empty. I tried to do old tasks and wound up getting roflstomped by HAMSTER I normally could annihilate. I sat for an hour wasting respecs and browsing the web trying to get my primary character respectable again and wound up realizing my respec was poorly decided. I got so frustrated that I gave up and quit and haven't come back since. I trully believe that whatever module that overhauled the classes like this is an extinction level event akin to the Combat upgrade patch for Starwars Galaxies. Its just impossible to come back now. The game requires Real life money and it doesn't provide us with any way of figuring things out without wasting a ton of time and resources. They made a huge mistake.
  • Options

I play only on PC but I dont feel the sky falling.

Some players left, thats true, but that was true also with every mod. My son started to play 2 days ago, and he is leveling a char, so I see what he sees. In every map there are hundreds of new players like him, I even told him that I could help with Charthraxis the dragon in graveyard but I saw there were more than 20 players in that spot, some of them newbies, others not so much.

I was surprised by that because I remember allways void instances in this leveling maps. Also checked other low maps and were full of new players with white / green gear and low level. This new players may not be able to do ToMM in 2 months, but they are what the game needs to be more healthy.

Also low level queues are instapop too.

Maybe the changes with mod 16 / 17 were drastical and not targeting an instant change, but progressive player influx looking for the future. This new players spend more money in the game than most of the veterans, we will see.

Im more optimistic than most of you really.

baby players aren't end game and end game is where we are at. eventually some of those newbies will make it to end game but it's gonna take along time before we see the numbers we had a few seasons ago. the game is chock full of 21000 players with a full compliment of R9-11... that isn't gonna cut it for doing end game stuff. good for them, but it makes the end gamers pushed out because there aren't enough of us to really do much.
  • Options
    kitkathd said:

jase2cool said:

I have played atleast 5 months out of every year of Neverwinter. Over the years I have always come back and caught right back up and have enjoyed all the changes and the seasonal events and new modules. I say all this cause I recently tried to return again as I always do and the complete class overhauls and level increase completely ruined it for me. Its not that I didn't like the game anymore, its that I was completely and utterly lost. There were no tutorials, I had no character slots available to start a new character to possibly go through a new tutorial, and the game looked insanely empty. I tried to do old tasks and wound up getting roflstomped by HAMSTER I normally could annihilate. I sat for an hour wasting respecs and browsing the web trying to get my primary character respectable again and wound up realizing my respec was poorly decided. I got so frustrated that I gave up and quit and haven't come back since. I trully believe that whatever module that overhauled the classes like this is an extinction level event akin to the Combat upgrade patch for Starwars Galaxies. Its just impossible to come back now. The game requires Real life money and it doesn't provide us with any way of figuring things out without wasting a ton of time and resources. They made a huge mistake.

this is where I'm at for destiny. lol. did you do the yawning portal, basically you learn what you need to do by doing the yawning portal quests. you get some great comp gear that helps you meet your stats.
  • Options
    kitkathdkitkathd Member Posts: 286 Arc User
    I couldn't get past my respec and playing around in Ravenloft/Dread ring just to test builds. The game just isn't fun to play now. My DC and Paladins are so badly changed I just don't get the vision they were going for. They should have made a sequel instead of such a dramatic change.
  • Options
    ecrana#2080 ecrana Member Posts: 1,654 Arc User

I spent millions outfitting my toon for a party that just never happened

I feel your pains. Went through the same. It's been weeks and I would say the big hold up isn't learning mechanics, it's getting the same 10 people together to get in more practice runs.
  • Options
    jules#6770 jules Member Posts: 709 Arc User
    About the newbies in lvling instances: yeah those 10 ppl in Neverdeath were me and some of my friends kicking dragons in the shins.

I am spending a few minutes everday on my recruitment alt, and while it IS true that there are new players there a) aren't that many new players around compared to busy times of the game
    b) new players on guild or new players I befriend or try to help made me see that they are not sticking around. Really.
    I know 2 that started with M16 and while their progress is smooth and they are already gearing for tomm (how funny tbh but thats another topic) they ARE weirded out by how buggy <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> is. Especially events. Or the crazy RNG.
    Lately, one of those saw vids of old builds and dung runs and was like "Oh my god, you aren't just a grumpy <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>! The game waa REALLY that much different!"
    And the other new ppl? Often leave. Like ppl leave ftp games all the time. Simply finding out NW isn't their piece of cake. Nothing new.
    So. For those few new players that are not actually vets in alt disguise we had to alienate other parts of the player base? I don't see this great restart happening.
    - bye bye -
  • Options
    chidionchidion Member Posts: 446 Arc User
    kitkathd said:

I couldn't get past my respec and playing around in Ravenloft/Dread ring just to test builds. The game just isn't fun to play now. My DC and Paladins are so badly changed I just don't get the vision they were going for. They should have made a sequel instead of such a dramatic change.

I don't know if it can be done but I've always thought if they are going to change things in the game, like character scaling they should make those changes applicable only on new Mods or content... don't mess with existing content unless there is something terribly wrong.

Building up one's character to be able to play a campaign or existing quests, dungeons or skirmishes one week (month, whatever) then come back a few days later and find everything changed, mobs and bosses tougher, player characters weaker, player stats and powers reduced from what they were previously, add-on enhancements like enchantments and runestones not as powerful as they were before those changes is in my opinion is not only disappointing but counter productive in my opinion.

Why would anyone fork out the time, effort or cash to upgrade their character (mount or companion) when there is every chance - based on what's happened before - for those investments to be nerfed and not as effective in the same content as they were when they were purchased? I can see items needing to be upgraded for new Mods or content but for them to be powered down for content where they used to be effective tends to teach players there is no rationale for spending anything if their items and stats are going to be downgraded while in the same content where they used to work well.

Anyway that's my 2¢