test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Official M16: Warlock

Comments

• obsidiancran3obsidiancran3 Member Posts: 1,823 Arc User
    Buffs are by and large gone from the game, so a more flexible and higher damage PoP is good.

I’m not even sure I’m going to use PoP on Heals once all the bugs are sorted and things are finalised.
    Obsidian Moonlight - Paladin
    Obsidian Oath - Warlock
    A whole lot of other Obsidian toons as well.
  • samfandango#1314 samfandango Member Posts: 57 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    @noworries#8859

Could you categorically state that Soul Investiture/Risky Investiture stacks dropping off at the end of the fifth stack's cycle is WAI or is not WAI?

I think if we all had a definitive answer on this subject, we'd be able to provide feedback that would be beneficial to the management of SI/RI stacking. Also, it would stop people reporting it as a bug when it isn't (if it is WAI).

Thank you
    Post edited by samfandango#1314 on
  • espasbadfistespasbadfist Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 39 Arc User
    Here are some things that i find really annoying when fighting lvl 80 mobs in Vanrakdoom:

1. Even if i try to evade an attack from a vampire with shadow slip i more often than not being CCed and kicked to the ground. Following attack from 1-2 vamp spawns right after --> dead. Those attacks are not avoidable. This is not challenging but pure gambling.
    2. The CC happens AFTER i left shadow slip in a distance that i felt safe. Same is probably true for other attacks too. It feels to me that i have to stay in shadow slip until the whole attack animation of the mob is finished this causing my whole stamina getting used up.
    3. For me it seems healing from Vampiric Embrace doesn't work more often than not. If there is healing it seems to me to be the amount of the healing provided by a single Soul Spark after fight!? Temporary hitpoints from casting on a cursed target seems to be controlled by RNG at best. Is there an internal cooldown on this power?

My conclusions:
    1. It must be safe to shadow slip out of the range of an attack. Especially that CC issue is really annyoing.
    2. Warlock still is a glass cannon. If going solo i have no chance to manage aggro. In the situations i described i often got killed before my puppet or companion could even pull aggro. Shadow Slip should reduce threat from the warlock even better transfer it to the puppet. Something like "no stamina -> no threat"
    3. Vampiric Embrace needs a fix. I was positivly surprised about the damage and the stack of soul investiture it gives, but the healing component is meh at best.
    One thing that just comes to my mind concerning threat management: Could it make sense to give the soul puppet an AoE again as it was possible with Spirit Fire(?) before? Maybe as an extra when you choose Soul Desecration. Make that 20% extra damage an AoE that is distributed between all enemies in reach. Just to taunt those mobs to go on the puppet instead of the Warlock. Does this make sense?
  • lordtweety#3604 lordtweety Member Posts: 275 Arc User
    Not that I mind, but I don't believe this is wai:

[13:59] [Combat (Self)] Your Soul Investiture gives 2135285 (1423524) Hit Points to Your Thumper.
    Main: Angels Scar
    Guild: Ruathym Corsairs
  • mongol69mongol69 Member Posts: 447 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    If wizards get fireball now, as they requested...could we get curse bite without curse consume? Or maybey a working creeping death feat with some increase to dmg %?
    (not everyone wants a puppet build as si hasnt been great to work with)
    Post edited by mongol69 on
    Seems that there has been changed/fixed something with the lvl 80 mobs in Vanrakdoom. Survivability is much better now with latest patch. I now can jump into them, cast Blades, cast Hellfire and cast Killing Flames without kissing the ground before ending that rotation.

Even if i am probably alone with this opinion but i like the new mechanics of Soul Scorch. Sure it is not as powerfull as it used to be and i miss that, but i like the idea of the AoE coming with the new version. I suggest to redefine Power of the Nine Hells. I agree to the statement that "no one with his right mind would ever chose it" like Garlaanx said in his vid. What about something like
    - "You gain 10 Action Points for every Soul Spark that is consumed."
    - or "Your Soul Scorch now focuses on a single target and a single point in time. Damage is doubled and a Lesser Curse is applied. Curse Consume: You deal 50% of the inital damage each second for 5 seconds." This is a bit tricky but would allow to leverage Deadly Curse and Parting Blasphemie a bit.
    - or "You get a stack of Soul Investiture for every 6 soul sparks that are consumed. Your puppet deals double damage against all targets burning from Soul Scorch."

I still think the Soul Puppet should be more of a decoy for the Warlock. Its damage can't really compare with that of a regular companion (at least not if that is legendary). Give it AoE and high threat generation to pull mobs away from the Warlock. Or make it at least possible to configure such behaviour. What about using Dark Ones Blessing for such purpose? Like "Your Soul Puppet glows in pure evil spreading pestilence to your enemies forcing them to attack it."

• warravanawarravana Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    Meanwhile, the magicians even have 1 tick of hanging (and there are 6 of them), if you put it on the tab, it puts more damage than our soul scorge. Sumptuously! Our Fireball Nerf is because we have AoE and immediately give the magician the same doubled magnitude relative to ours. Sumptuously again! We are in the hands of professionals, it's obvious. tax service professionals.
    El sol negro brilla, en la frente de la locura el firmar,
    Kelemvor tomó mi trono de la muerte, pero soy eterno en la oscuridar...
    https://www.youtube.com/c/cyric
  • ramesh84ramesh84 Member Posts: 133 Arc User
    edited March 2019

The problem with making 2 hours of video content for Preview at this time is the game is changing week to week.

We certainly don’t need Curse Bite consuming sparks and not LC. What you need to do is learn when to apply Curse Bite and not just try and spam through a rotation of Firey Bolt, Curse Bite, Arms, Curse Bite so fast that nothing refreshes. (You can replace Arms or FB with Hellfire Ring.)

You also don’t need to run Curse Bite.

Hellfire Ring, Firey Bolt and Arms of Hadar works fine, as long as the CC effect on Arms triggers.

I totally agree, warlock already has a power that works like that, and it's arms of hadar. If it's working bad just provide feedback and proposals on how to improve it, as somebody already stated (provide a wider range, fixing animation and cooldown or simply replace it if faster), don't ask for nerfs to one of the few powers actually performing in line with other classes (yes: taking away curse remove from CB is a nerf on AoE dmg).

Did a quick check and I would also point out as none of the bugs reported here has been fixed, re-listing some of them, who wants can help me add the ones is forgot:
    - Immolation spirit not fading away
    - Parting blasphemy not working at all
    - Flames of Empowerment stacking til x10 (stated x3)
    - Creeping Death stopped by DoTs or ot multiple attacks
    - t3 and t4 feat selection (ie: picking risky investment hides executioner gifts)
    - Harrowstorm not critting and hitting party with stun effect

Will require further testing, but apparently after patch I am unable to stack soul investiture, as icon doesn't show multiplier and fades away after cooldown. I am having hard times summoning puppet with both hadar grasp and vampiric embraceEdit: vampiric embrace is not summoning puppet any more
    Post edited by ramesh84 on
  • ramesh84ramesh84 Member Posts: 133 Arc User

Even if i am probably alone with this opinion but i like the new mechanics of Soul Scorch. Sure it is not as powerfull as it used to be and i miss that, but i like the idea of the AoE coming with the new version. [..]
    I still think the Soul Puppet should be more of a decoy for the Warlock. Its damage can't really compare with that of a regular companion (at least not if that is legendary).

Hello my friend, despite soul puppet and soul scorch looks weak on an AoE/solo setup, you are talking about warlock's main source of single target damage. Shouldn't post the data i gathered as quite inaccurate, but it seems i have no other chance, as soul investiture looks bugged after patch

conditions:
    - 4 min (3:50 actually) fight with test weapons, no pet, arpen/accuracy capped
    - flank was granted by puppet, that's why I wasn't able to grant it at start on second try
    - full spark gain and no curse consume rotation vs SI/RI build
    - several bugs (PB, FoE) alterating final result
    - messed up a bit with rotation and casted one more daily on second try (wish i had clean data but looks i can't do it now)
    Sure if we talk about overall damage % SS is not as strong as it is on live but, for what I got, one of milestones of mod16 changes is avoiding a single power performing a lot better than others.
    Relying on puppet and spark generation implies, as I stated somewhere else, one of main mod16 warlock single target flaws, that's having a few choice fighting bosses that moves alot (i.e: Drufi), as both puppet and soul spark are based on assumption that target has to be steady. True, melee classes have the same situational penalty but still something to look at.
  • schietindebuxschietindebux Member Posts: 4,292 Arc User
    edited March 2019

Even if i am probably alone with this opinion but i like the new mechanics of Soul Scorch. Sure it is not as powerfull as it used to be and i miss that, but i like the idea of the AoE coming with the new version. I suggest to redefine Power of the Nine Hells. I agree to the statement that "no one with his right mind would ever chose it" like Garlaanx said in his vid. What about something like
    - "You gain 10 Action Points for every Soul Spark that is consumed."
    - or "Your Soul Scorch now focuses on a single target and a single point in time. Damage is doubled and a Lesser Curse is applied. Curse Consume: You deal 50% of the inital damage each second for 5 seconds." This is a bit tricky but would allow to leverage Deadly Curse and Parting Blasphemie a bit

I think Soul Scorch is not a bad mechanic on single target, the damage is 15%, the encounter reset is the main aspect and is an average CD reduction of 3 seconds on encounter same as it provides a buff on top.
    Actually Soul Scorch is not ment to spend AP, maybe due to general aspects to not break a mechanic leading to overperformance again. 18 sparks x10 AP will lead to a pretty solid AP gain and will disbalance classes in terms of Daily usage imo.
    I think even 1 AP per spark might be over the top. Encounter like HG, KF etc spend 10 AP per usage, so SoulScorch will spends 18 AP and will lead again to a far better AP gain.
    Lesser Curse might be a good addition to proc from Scorch since we still have no option to bypass ACC (must have in any setup).
    Here is a shard for power replennish at Chult bossdummy, call of power is that Boon 4/4 second row... Hadar Grasp underperforms a bit btw.. Even adding 1 Ap per spark, that´s 18 per swing, you can imagine where this leads to, even though I think Scorch should give something in return: Compared to my Wizard AP gain on warlock is pretty low somehow.

I still think the Soul Puppet should be more of a decoy for the Warlock. Its damage can't really compare with that of a regular companion (at least not if that is legendary).

Companions seem to be bugged or not that balanced atm, so it´s hard to argue about that point, we have to wait until devs define, if companions should deal that damage or not. I think it´s pretty obvious, that a companion should not out dps the main char. Puppet and associated buffs are about 20% on singel target atm.
    I would prefer to have the option to play a build with a less puppet focussed setup than being bound to it, not knowing if or if not the puppet is in the mood to support your gameplay or KI buggs and puppet stays outside the door etc.
    The former version was:
    1. DPS-setup: Chose Creeping death + Executioners gift, wich are no "HAMSTER-feats" as stated somewhere compared to other classes, if working. Both spend a 10% dps-buff (average), 20% in the sum. You can decide to spawn a puppet on top if you are willing to either use HG or VE in your rotation. Since there is no other option you will do so anyway.
    I´d like to have a seconds dps encounter with higher impact tbh for that setup.
    2. Puppet setup: Chose Soul Dsecration+Soul Investiture (especially if a bit undergeared) and support your puppet by usage of VE and HG. Both actualy spawn a puppet, at least until last patch. By that stack SI up to 5x5% , buff puppet and buff your dps. Actually doing so, the incoherent stack of SI sometimes seem to miss and runs of after 15 sec. at x5 stacks. I pretty much dislike that kind of synergy, since it is pretty much annyoing to watch that buff fade away, focussing your hole rotation and gameplay arround making it work
    .... maybe just give warlocks same mechanics as Barbarian, a flat 15% damage buff on rage, rage is gained by hitting foes, getting hit and milling foes, same that some encounter should deal double damage at full rage (sparks), that´s what Barbarian do more or less with IBS, a flat direct multiplier right from the start. Warlock has to get target down to 30% to benefit frrom KF buff same as they have to stack buffs for 1 minute to make them work, lol :)

Actually the class same as the threat can´t proceed since we lack in devs response and have to wait what is done next.

@ramesh84 Arms of Hadar has targetting issues, wich was mentioned somewhere , it doesn´t work the way it does on live somehow.
    Post edited by schietindebux on
    You don’t need ACC.

Hellfire Ring or Firey Bolt or Arms of Hadar (if it hits) are all perfectly fine for maintaining Curse, even with Curse Bite.

What you have to do is pace yourself.
    Cast opener to put LC on mobs and draw them in.
    Cast Curse Bite as they reach you.
    Cast other Curse applying encounter.
    As Curse applying power comes off cooldown, cast Curse Bite, then cast Curse applying power.

If not running Parting Blasphemy you don’t need Curse Bite in your rotation anyway, so your encounters will ensure you always have Curse up.

What we need urgently is @ramesh84’s list of bugs fixed.

Second to those we need Infernal Spheres replaced with a single target DPS power that hits for 700-1000.

Then, ideally, we need Flames of Phelegos replaced with a burst single target power.

At the point we basically have a working class with 2 viable builds baring any new bugs that emerge.

Yes there are other improvements that can be made to the class, but with those “3” things done we will have a base that is viable to refine in small steps instead of big chunks.
    Obsidian Oath - Warlock
  • nisckisnisckis Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 655 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    Vampiric Embrace doesn't spawn a soul puppet since this week patch
    Post edited by nisckis on
    Ok so you’re just talking single target
    Carry on then.

Our single target is trash out in the world, despite being reported as good on dummies. It’s because once the dummy gets below 50% by setting your rotation right KF always does better than it will in the wild. That’s without the extra return on SI by the KF “Kill” on the dummy.
    Obsidian Oath - Warlock
    edited March 2019

Ok so you’re just talking single target
    Carry on then.

Our single target is trash out in the world, despite being reported as good on dummies. It’s because once the dummy gets below 50% by setting your rotation right KF always does better than it will in the wild. That’s without the extra return on SI by the KF “Kill” on the dummy.

I talk about single target since aoe on my warlock is not that big issue and in the sum I never cared that much about aoe. My post centeres arround that unthoughtfull classfeature and your statement, you ment for aoe setup exclusively?

You don’t need ACC.

My GF is far worse in aoe, my OP has to kill all enemies with a singeltarget-encounter by using smite, several classes do underperform significant in aoe actually, even my Hunter feels not that good in aoe (maybe due to missing setup no clue), check DC's aoe-setup, that´s what I call "bad", at least in my testings.
    My concern is singel-target-damage and my focus is giving the class a meaning in focus damage. I can kill all mobs in the leveling area and the class actually hs enough aoe encounter to use, warlock does not underperform significantly compared to other classes in aoe I think. Only misses Curses and synergy a bit to have a fluent setup.
    edited March 2019
    I have no disagreement that our single target things need to be improved, here I said it a few days ago:

My recharge rate shows as 34.8%, and frankly the powers are recharging too slowly or alternatively hitting too softly for their current recharge time.

KF - Recharge 11.8s Mag 500-750
    VE - Recharge 10.3s Mag 250
    HG - Recharge 14.8s Mag 200

vs
    HR - Recharge 11.1s Mag 100
    Fiery Bolt - Recharge 8.9s Mag 160
    Curse Bite - Recharge 13s Mag 220
    Arms of Hadar - Recharge 2.2s (stacking still) Mag 50

At a minimum all the single target powers should have their Magnitude doubled, including KF.

Obsidian Oath - Warlock
  • kolatmasterkolatmaster Member Posts: 3,111 Arc User
    Patch Notes from 3/22:

Warlock

Consuming Action: This power's range is now shown in its tooltip.
    Blades of Vanquished Armies: Daggers flung by this power no longer refresh or apply Curse.
    Brink now shows its incoming healing boost on the character sheet.
    Fiery Bolt now shows its radius in its tooltip.
    Fiery Bolt: This power now properly explodes when it hits a cursed target.
    Hellish Rebuke now shows its debuff.
    Pillar of Power tooltip has healing over time effect added to it.
    Pillar of Power: This power's tooltip now shows its Heal Over Time effect.
    Shadow Walk now properly shows its movement speed increase on the character sheet.
    Soul Burn is no longer classified as a paragon power.
    Soul Burn now lists its magnitude in its tooltip.
    Soul Burn: This power now properly displays as a class mechanic in the Powers window.
    Transfusion Tactics should now trigger off of the proper powers.
    Vampiric Embrace now properly grants all the Temporary Hit Points it should.
    Vampiric Embrace now properly spawns a soul puppet.
    va8Ru.gif
  • lordtweety#3604 lordtweety Member Posts: 275 Arc User

Any chance you can take a look at daily powers balance? Brood of Hadar already was the most powerful single target daily before mod 16 and now the gap has widened a lot more for no apparent reason.

Why are you asking him to nerf the only decent daily we have?
    Main: Angels Scar
    Guild: Ruathym Corsairs
  • vorphiedvorphied Member Posts: 1,870 Arc User
    > @lordtweety#3604 said:
    > Any chance you can take a look at daily powers balance? Brood of Hadar already was the most powerful single target daily before mod 16 and now the gap has widened a lot more for no apparent reason.
    >
    > Why are you asking him to nerf the only decent daily we have?

I assume he’s suggesting to bring the underperforming dailies in line with BoH, not to nerf BoH to their level.
    Sacrilege - Warlock
    Contagion - Cleric
    Testament - Wizard
    Pestilence - Ranger
    Dominion - Paladin

NIGHTSWATCH

edited March 2019
    I am a bit confused about Vampiric Embrance, since it did spawn a Puppet before patch and now doesn´t.
    So what is that encounter ment to do actually?
    Either tooltip is wrong and power is bugged or that patch note ment: "Vampiric Embrace now doesn´t spawns a soul puppet , it never was ment to do so, tooltip never said so anyway."
    @noworries#8859

Another point about Brood and Flames of Ph..
    I only did one short, fast test. Maybe someone can reproduce it. Both seem to deal similar dps on a dummy with a testweapon.
    Is it possible that the magnitude is not displayed correctly?
    Post edited by schietindebux on
  • arakk00arakk00 Member Posts: 166 Arc User
    Spending your healing resource is supposed to be something that you can hoard and use reactively. Also, Wraith's Shadow is kinda eeeeh. Suggestion: Wraith's Shadow now consumes all soul sparks, increasing its healing and damage magnitude and releasing a burst of healing for each spark after the first at time of casting.
    A <Friendly Dragon>!
  • samfandango#1314 samfandango Member Posts: 57 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    Some clarification on VE would be appreciated.

The Soul Puppet mechanic tooltip states: "several Warlock powers can summon a Soul Puppet...". As of the patch we have 3: Hadar's Grasp, Killing Flames and Accursed Souls.

KF only summons a Soul Puppet on kill, rendering it useless for stacking Soul Investiture on ST.

AS is a daily which also means it's use for stacking RI is extremely limited.

HG and VE were the only truly reliable ways to stack RI pre-patch. So the word "several" in the tooltip is misleading. At this point in time our ST damage is based around stacking RI. People in this thread have stated they find this problematic with stacks dropping off after the fifth stack, and having to build them up all over again (versus classes that can "insta-buff" themselves).

How about we make the tooltip stand up to expectation by having more Curse Consume powers. Maybe make Curse Bite an actual consume power. Change KF to summon a puppet on use (as suggested by D Opferbeck). Perhaps even rework Infernal Spheres to have a consume function. This way people won't be trapped into just using the exact same powers in their rotation, which fits in with current dev intentions of "players not following the prescribed rotation being worse off".
  • vorphiedvorphied Member Posts: 1,870 Arc User
    hawkeyel said:

I really do feel this Mod. would have been better if they had just added a new healer class and did the SW as they did the CW and made it DPS only. Being that both the Fury and Damnation are both very different play styles and pushing them both into a very limited way to play either. Makes being a Hellbring a very broken mess. While I will agree, tests on a target dummy looks okay. In game play however it is the SW that then becomes the target dummy. Good luck.

A lot of players genuinely liked Temptation SW, though. I feel that this gets drowned out sometimes on the forums by players who perceive attention to support Warlock as a detriment to the development of DPS Warlock, but removing the healing/support option that already exists on live isn't a great option IMO.

Sacrilege - Warlock
    Contagion - Cleric
    Testament - Wizard
    Pestilence - Ranger
    Dominion - Paladin

NIGHTSWATCH