test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Official M16: Ranger

Comments

• divectoredivectore Member Posts: 190 Arc User
    kangkeok said:

rafaelda said:

Even after the at-will dmg get fixed "Aimed shot" will need a buff is a long animation and needs to have some good dmg to be usefull, think you lost a zero there....

I have the same though as u do before but after playing a while on preview today, i realize aimed shot isn't meant for dps. Its more of an opening at-will to a fight. If u start a fight with rapid shot, u pulled the aggro with only 40-70dmg. But if u start a fight with aimed shot, u get to put in 100dmg before u pull aggro. In my opinion, its useful in pvp to synergize with ambush.
    While casting, you lose stealth and ambush damage, so its not for pvp.
  • artifleurartifleur Member Posts: 642 Arc User
    Charges : Please remove charges from Hindering Shot and Cordon of Arrows so they may finally benefit from Swiftness of the Fox and Forestbond. You may want to increase Hindering Shot's damage and reduce Cordon's cooldown while you're at it.

Grasping Roots : Please remove the distinction between weak and strong grasping roots, it isn't needed at all and only makes this class mechanic unnecessarilly complex. Besides, Hindering Shot is the only power which applies weak roots. After that, have Cordon of Arrows, Plant Growth and Bear Trap apply grasping roots. Why do we have a root class mechanic if half of our rooting powers don't use it. I know it isn't new at all but I think mod 16 would be the right time to sort this mess.

Forestbond :Only works with weak grasping roots instead of all grasping roots. Please give it a finite value in seconds, instead of 5%, just like Swiftness of the Fox and Forestbond. I'd suggest 1.5 or 2 seconds.
  • feanor70118feanor70118 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,170 Arc User
    rafaelda said:

Even after the at-will dmg get fixed "Aimed shot" will need a buff is a long animation and needs to have some good dmg to be usefull, think you lost a zero there....

Yes. The animation is (like most HR/ranger animations) much too long. It was made for pre-mod 6 mobs. What's needed is a quick animation with a cooldown and/or a bonus for holding the power before firing.

80% of the class' animations need to be redrawn and they won't do it.

• kangkeokkangkeok Member Posts: 1,123 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    divectore said:

kangkeok said:

rafaelda said:

I have the same though as u do before but after playing a while on preview today, i realize aimed shot isn't meant for dps. Its more of an opening at-will to a fight. If u start a fight with rapid shot, u pulled the aggro with only 40-70dmg. But if u start a fight with aimed shot, u get to put in 100dmg before u pull aggro. In my opinion, its useful in pvp to synergize with ambush.
    While casting, you lose stealth and ambush damage, so its not for pvp.
    They work well for me in pvp since mod4. People got surprised all the time. Regarding losing the ambush damage in the process are the downside. I don't know if its a bug but it definitely doesn't work as described in the power description.
  • dragonsbane3dragonsbane3 Member Posts: 190 Arc User
    I'm loving the new mod. Quickly leveled up to 80 got the new Mountaineering weapons set and a complete Spy guild armor set. The survivability with the new set is much better.

The last quest turn-in has question marks over all the NPC heads on the 3rd floor but they don't do anything and the Master Expeditions wont unlock for me.
    "The Sweet Ain't As Sweet Without The Sour!"
    edited March 2019
    Ambush bug

The following power does not proc ambush damage as describe in its description,

Range Stance Power
    1. Split shot
    2. Aimed shot
    3. Cordon of Arrow

Melee Stance
    1. Gushing wound

Dailies
    1. Snipe
    2. Slasher Mark
    3. Forest Ghost

Power Not Tested ( maybe some level 80 could help test it out )
    1. Hunter Teamwork
    2. Rapid volley
    3. Disruptive shot
    4. All artifact and combat mount
  • hustin1hustin1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,460 Arc User
    It would be awfully nice if we had Fleet Stance back.
    Harper Chronicles: Cap Snatchers (RELEASED) - NW-DPUTABC6X
    Blood Magic (RELEASED) - NW-DUU2P7HCO
    Children of the Fey (RELEASED) - NW-DKSSAPFPF
    Buried Under Blacklake (WIP) - NW-DEDV2PAEP
    The Redcap Rebels (WIP) - NW-DO23AFHFH
    My Foundry playthrough channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Ruskaga/featured
  • waywardchampionwaywardchampion Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    <font color=cyan />Question</font>
    Is the "Cordon of Arrows" encounter ability considered to be a "root" ability? It shows Root as one of its effects in the tooltips, but it doesn't appear to be considered a "Weak" or "Strong" root.

Also it would be nice if Binding Arrow / Oak skin was available to both paragon trees as it is a rangers primary healing ability and the Hunters Teamwork at will from the Hunter paragon tree heals too weakly to be effective in solo play.
  • lordaeoloslordaeolos Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 167 Arc User

I main a Best In Slot 18.6k HR (combat) in Live, and have leveled my Ranger to 80 in test, as such here are my thoughts (whatever they are worth):

I'm a firm believer than if you have a class that can only queue as DPS, then your DPS potential should be higher than any of the classes than can queue as something else... So I believe the design should be such that Rangers, Rogues, and Wizards should have higher potential than the other classes...

Warden: I see this as the new combat/ melee focused paragon, and it feels weak due to damage tables on the offhand being wrong (but has some potential), I will circle back to this paragon after the damage tables have been fixed

Hunter (two options):

Archery type feats feel reasonably strong on single targets, but after playing my other classes just doesn't compare single target to say a Wizard, or even a smite-a-din.. I think the magnitude on some of the ranged encounter powers and dailies need to be tuned a little higher, and the at-wills really have very little value; especially aimed shot, as it has a lower damage potential than rapid shot, with the other secondary alternatives not much better off

Trapper type feats actually feel really good, especially in trash mobs, and prolonged "boss" fights. Even with the offhand damage tables being foobar right now, I was able to one rotate nearly every trash mob in vanrakdoom, and the roots slowly melt "boss" targets, doing damage while I'm dodging around.. of all the options I tested this was the easiest to manage, and provided the best game play balance

"Lord Willow"
    Guild Leader: Mistaken Identity (formerly Midnight Express)
    My Twitch Stream
    See my Youtube Channel for guides and more

"Don't ever become a pessimist... a pessimist is correct oftener than an optimist, but an optimist has more fun, and neither can stop the march of events."
    > @lordaeolos said:
    >
    > Trapper type feats actually feel really good, especially in trash mobs, and prolonged "boss" fights. Even with the offhand damage tables being foobar right now, I was able to one rotate nearly every trash mob in vanrakdoom, and the roots slowly melt "boss" targets, doing damage while I'm dodging around.. of all the options I tested this was the easiest to manage, and provided the best game play balance

Hey, it's good to know that someone is having success with a trapper hunter. May I ask which encounters you use ? I've only had good results with melee warden myself.
    artifleur said:

>
    Hey, it's good to know that someone is having success with a trapper hunter. May I ask which encounters you use ? I've only had good results with melee warden myself.

Longstriders, Constricting Arrow, and Hindering.. Used Crushing Roots and Aspect of the serpent for Class Features... rotation that seemed to work well for me was: start Ranged: Hindering > constricting > longstriders > switch to melee > hindering > gushing > steel breeze > switch to ranged if trash alive (usually not) > at will > at will > at will. Same rotation for Boss fight, just tossing in snipe daily, and three melee at wills before starting the encounter rotation over to have aspect of the serpent buff...

"Lord Willow"
    My Twitch Stream

"Don't ever become a pessimist... a pessimist is correct oftener than an optimist, but an optimist has more fun, and neither can stop the march of events."
  • deterrant#6687 deterrant Member Posts: 172 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    Tried both warden and ranger in preview, trapper ranger kicks combat wardens HAMSTER 100-0 atm. Tested only on mobs.

You can steamroll mobs with a trapper ranger, and not even lose any HP, pulled 10 mobs, all died in a few seconds,

It takes several more seconds for a combat warden to kill a pack of 5 mobs. Pull 10 and you're dead.

Preview IL 15k, no pet gear, only bondings.

artifleur said:

>

Longstriders, Constricting Arrow, and Hindering.. Used Crushing Roots and Aspect of the serpent for Class Features... rotation that seemed to work well for me was: start Ranged: Hindering > constricting > longstriders > switch to melee > hindering > gushing > steel breeze > switch to ranged if trash alive (usually not) > at will > at will > at will. Same rotation for Boss fight, just tossing in snipe daily, and three melee at wills before starting the encounter rotation over to have aspect of the serpent buff...
    I gave it a shot. It's pretty good. Thanks.

Tried both warden and ranger in preview, trapper ranger kicks combat wardens HAMSTER 100-0 atm. Tested only on mobs.

You can steamroll mobs with a trapper ranger, and not even lose any HP, pulled 10 mobs, all died in a few seconds,

It takes several more seconds for a combat warden to kill a pack of 5 mobs. Pull 10 and you're dead.

Preview IL 15k, no pet gear, only bondings.

Hunter Trapper is good but Warden Melee works very well too.

Try using Oak Skin (you may replace it if you're sure you dont need healing) > Hindering Strike (hits like a truck) > Steel Breeze (when facing 4 or more enemies you can use Hindering Strike again at once). Forest Ghost (with the feat) + Storm Strike for bosses. Oak Skin (Blade Hurricane) + Storm Strike if all else fails.

I have yet to die with this build and one Hindering Strike + Steel Breeze usually clears all the weak guys. Even the bugged spider boss in expedition didn't take that long.
    Oh hey, how about instead of making this class (and this class alone) waste feat points on cooldown reductions, you just reduce our looooooooooooooooooong cooldowns and give us feats that inprove our damage and mechanics instead?
  • waywardchampionwaywardchampion Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    <font color=cyan>Feedback</font>
    The ranger at-will power "Split shot" is designed to be an AOE ability, however, it behaves like a single target ability with an unusually high induction time when I try to use it. It targets one opponent and shifts its direction as that opponent moves, like many of the single target abilities do.

This is very aggravating, you need to have it operate like an AOE should. That is allow us to target an AREA instead of a specific opponent.

If I want it to target a specific opponent then I will press the "target lock" key that is already a part of the UI.

The way that you have this ability now, I just end up making every mob in target range attack me because I cant control the direction and size of the target area properly.

Oh hey, how about instead of making this class (and this class alone) waste feat points on cooldown reductions, you just reduce our looooooooooooooooooong cooldowns and give us feats that inprove our damage and mechanics instead?

Actually... I would suggest adding "Increase melee encounter cool down by 50% and reduce Archery encounter cool down by 25%" to the feat that adds 50% damage to archery, and reduces 50% to melee. this put a clear dividing line between running a hunter as a root dot build, or an archery build. The problem with the Ranger is that we really have 6 encounters, where other classes do not... I would also add a feat on the warden side that does the reverse.. reducing archery encounters damage and increasing the cool downs...
    "Lord Willow"
    My Twitch Stream

• theboogieman69theboogieman69 Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    Ran some today, I think that one change for the ranged path needs to be fixed. Ranger that are solely ranged should no have to be in melee often, and many of the feats and powers in this path allude to that , like reduction in melee damage but and increase in ranged damage.
    Aspect of the Falcon is the only passive power that disagrees with this build. It says that when you are within 25' of a target you get a 5% increase in ranged damage. If this is supposed to be a distance dps build, shouldn't it be when were are further than 25' away this build get an increase to ranged damage. This takes away from a ranged dps build and once again removes rangers as a shooters and relies on a mix of melee/ranged.
    Many people that play rangers now only build mix because the sole ranged is not scaled properly and not comparable to melee build. Many would like to play a sole ranged relying on melee only rarely but that build is weak comparatively. If you are making a ranged dps path make it change aspect of the falcon.
  • userutf8userutf8 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 270 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    BUG: Focused feat from Warden paragon path is broken with loadouts
    All is to be done in ranged stance
    1. Setup 1st loadout as Hunter, pick any feat (e.g. Longshot).
    2. Pick 2nd loadout and spec Warden, pick "Focused" feat, wait 10 seconds to get 10 stacks.
    3. Switch to 1st loadout.

Actual result: "Focused" buff stays, which results in huge damage buff (actually higher than 25% it seems):
    [22:18] [Combat (Self)] Critical Hit! Your Snipe deals 1007970 (959972) Physical Damage to Target Dummy.
    with lvl 70 gear and no companion bonuses and artifacts.
    Expected result: "Focused" buff disappears.

Note: "Focused" buff disappears as soon as you change stance.
    Note 2: Probably applies to other similar cases on other classes.

BUG: Ambush is broken: it deals bonus damage on at-wills but not on encounters
    1. cast ambush and fire rapid shot:
    [23:51] [Combat (Self)] Critical Hit! Your Rapid Shot deals 14199 (12347) Physical Damage to Target Dummy.
    [23:51] [Combat (Self)] Critical Hit! Your Ambush deals 50412 (43836) Physical Damage to Target Dummy.
    2. now cast Ambush and Longstrider Shot
    [0:04] [Combat (Self)] Critical Hit! Your Longstrider's Shot deals 192650 (175136) Physical Damage to Target Dummy.

BUG: Hunting Hawk offence power is broken (i think it was reported already)
    1. Bind Hunting Hawk companion
    2. Slot 'Hunting Drake's presence' offence power in Companions window tab
    3. cast Rapid Shot,

Actual result: get over 1m damage
    Expected result: get 15k damage

Note: with Ambush you can hit like that:
    [23:47] [Combat (Self)] Critical Hit! Your Ambush deals 4889115 (4251404) Physical Damage to Target Dummy.

Rapid Volley power is dope! Thanks for bringing it to game!
    But could use slight damage buff like 10-20%.
    Melee counterpart is fine as utility (gap closer).
    Thanks to a guy who designed that power - pure HR style
    Post edited by userutf8 on
    ABSOLUTE
  • zerappuszerappus Member Posts: 138 Arc User
    Impossible to test/gauge Hunter Ranger path due to At-will bugs:

Aimed Shot hitting for 400k-700k+
    Split Shot hitting for 60k-100k+

Tested at Well of Dragons (10k+ char with U.Light) + Master of the Hunt skirmish (14k+ char with U.Dread).
  • thefabricantthefabricant Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 5,248 Arc User
    Posting on behalf of a friend of mine who is banned on the forums (don't shoot me if you don't like this feedback, I am just the messenger):

1) Weapon damage of the melee weapon should be doubled.
    2) Rapid Volley should do 20% more damage, but only the ranged version.
    3) Thorn Strike's magnitude of 105 should be buffed to 200-250.
    4) Cordon of Arrows and Plant Growth should do the same damage as hindering strike with roots does. The total should be 490 + 350.
    5) Hawk Shot should be 490 magnitude, the same as Commanding shot, as both are long cast powers.
    6) Aimed Shot's magnitude should be 210.
    7) List of Useless powers and feats: Stormstep Action, Cruel Recovery, Ambush + Bear Trap, Oak Skin (either must be buffed a lot or...)
    8) Move binding arrow to trapper, swap it with ambush.
  • arcticblitzarcticblitz Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 126 Arc User
    So I've finished playing through the campaign and leveling to 80, Went down the hunter path as have always enjoyed archery (i'll be specing a warden path shortly).

Didn't find myself overly squishy (15.5k ilvl, didn't start changing gear till level 80 ) until the higher level areas of the campaign, as long as i didn't pull a stupid amount of mobs. Still need to play with rotations to get an optimal damage cycle.

I've always believed the ranger should be more fluid since it launched especially with the fast at will's like rapid shot:

Rapid Shot should be able to be fired whilst on the move ( no movement stop animation) with the revamp it's a great opportunity to address this.

Aimed shot: like others have said it just doesn't feel worth while, the risk of standing still for an extended period should be compensated by large amount of damage.

Cordon of Arrows : A minor thing but can we fix the power so the area graphics effect vanishes after it has be triggered by an enemy it's just a tad annoying.

I'll add more later as i get a better feel for it. but this is what jumped out at me.

Blitzy : PVE only Barbarian
    Martin ConDion PVE only Ranger

Guild Founder: -HunterS-
    edited March 2019
    userutf8 said:

BUG: Ambush is broken: it deals bonus damage on at-wills but not on encounters
    1. cast ambush and fire rapid shot:
    [23:51] [Combat (Self)] Critical Hit! Your Rapid Shot deals 14199 (12347) Physical Damage to Target Dummy.
    [23:51] [Combat (Self)] Critical Hit! Your Ambush deals 50412 (43836) Physical Damage to Target Dummy.
    2. now cast Ambush and Longstrider Shot
    [0:04] [Combat (Self)] Critical Hit! Your Longstrider's Shot deals 192650 (175136) Physical Damage to Target Dummy.

Hmm that's weird. I tested it on longstrider and it did work. Those encounter that doesn't work are listed in my post above. I'll double check and add it to my list if it didn't. Thanks for testing.

Edit : Hi, I have tested it and longstrider did proc ambush damage. Maybe u want to double check that again. If u would be so kind, could u help me double check my list too? Its just a few post above yours. Thanks.
    Post edited by kangkeok on
    edited March 2019

Posting on behalf of a friend of mine who is banned on the forums (don't shoot me if you don't like this feedback, I am just the messenger):

1) Weapon damage of the melee weapon should be doubled.
    2) Rapid Volley should do 20% more damage, but only the ranged version.
    3) Thorn Strike's magnitude of 105 should be buffed to 200-250.
    4) Cordon of Arrows and Plant Growth should do the same damage as hindering strike with roots does. The total should be 490 + 350.
    5) Hawk Shot should be 490 magnitude, the same as Commanding shot, as both are long cast powers.
    6) Aimed Shot's magnitude should be 210.
    7) List of Useless powers and feats: Stormstep Action, Cruel Recovery, Ambush + Bear Trap, Oak Skin (either must be buffed a lot or...)
    8) Move binding arrow to trapper, swap it with ambush.

Looks like your friend wants HR to be played in a specific way.. which is alright. Everybody has their right to play however they like. But asking for buff and swap doesn't seems fair to those that wants a different build. Just an opinion on an opinion.

Anyway, Weapon damage of melee weapon will be fixed as stated by noworries on the 1st page of this thread.

Actually... I would suggest adding "Increase melee encounter cool down by 50% and reduce Archery encounter cool down by 25%" to the feat that adds 50% damage to archery, and reduces 50% to melee. this put a clear dividing line between running a hunter as a root dot build, or an archery build. The problem with the Ranger is that we really have 6 encounters, where other classes do not... I would also add a feat on the warden side that does the reverse.. reducing archery encounters damage and increasing the cool downs...
    Well I wouldn't. It is not true that we are the only class with 6 encounters. DC has 6 as long as they've built up divine power. CW has four. Both of those classes have MUCH shorter cooldowns than we do. I don't see any reason to volunteer to make our cooldowns even worse. Ideally running an archer build would mean that melee encounters are buff powers (e.g. Throw Caution) and you need to use them every so often. Running a combat build would mean that ranged encounters would do that same (e.g. pre-unnecessary and uncalled for nerf- Longstrider's Shot or Commanding Shot) and you'd need to use them every so often. WHY ARE YOU ASKING TO BE NERFED?

No class has suffered so much from nerfs, ninja nerfs and pointless counterproductive tinkering by the devs as this one. Don't encourage them.
    edited March 2019

Actually it depends on the Ranger build. If its a range build, he would have 3 damage encounter to spam at range. Which not only does he has half the encounter to spam, he also need to spam more at-will as a filler. It would be appropriate to option to moves 50% of melee damage to range damage. Even if its a melee build archer, it doesn't buff anything at all as they just break even if he uses melee encounter.
    @artifleur Gonna test both warden and ranger again when they fix the power/weapon damage bugs. No use doing anything before thursday. Hopefully they sort them out, not keen on having to test these paragons tens of times. And ill pick the best damage dealer anyways when live, be it trapper or combat.

I used steel breeze, hindering, cordon and storm strike and flurry feat + crit.sev feat(I have T.vorpal). Split Strike hits like a wet noodle. even Rapid strike is better than that. Mobs weren't melting nearly as fast as a trapper ranger with T.vorpal.

I have bark shield as my armor ench, no problems with ranger, i fight at melee range with it, shotgun ninja.

But as soon as i tried warden the mobs started getting kills off me.

I've spent some time running both Warden and Hunter builds. It's hard to test the class' DPS meaningfully but it definitely feels underpowered. I need to fire off two or three encounters to clear mobs where one would have done it before.

In general:

Animations are too long. The devs need to look at every single cast time that's over .4 seconds and reduce it to .5 seconds at most. Anything more is just obnoxiously slow whether in pvp or against post-mod 6 mobs that close almost instantly, or against bosses that constantly use interrupt/control powers.

At-wills are woefully underpowered. They have been ever since the mod 2 nerf to Split Shot and it's years past time to correct that problem. Raise HR's at-will damage to the same level as other DPS classes'.

Also, Aimed Shot is now a useless joke, as many others have noted. Give it a quick animation with a cooldown instead of a long animation and give it a significant buff - up to 2x - for holding the animation for a length of time, and that would make it useful.

@kryzyzok's post above regarding the roots mechanic is dead on and should be the basis for all root powers in the class. It has never made any sense that Plant Growth, which is an enormous tangle of roots, doesn't proc grasping roots.
    Also, Plant Growth should be a persistent area of effect like Smoke Bomb. As far as I can tell it only works on opponents that are within the area at time of use.

I've posted in the past about how the class' stealth, DR and buff powers are screwed up, fail to synergize and don't actually work in any meaningful way but once again:
    Remove the animation from Forest Ghost and just make it work like TR's tab button. The animation unnecessarily consumes stealth time and the power often fails to activate when in combat anyway.
    Whether stealth comes from Forest Ghost or Ambush, other players can target the player through it in pvp up to a full second after activation, which is ridiculous.
    Stealth from Ambush should not disappear until the player's following attack animation has completed.
    Remove the frakking 1-second freeze from the end of Boar Charge. It amounts to the player using a control power on himself, rendering him vulnerable for much too long, and makes the power useless as part of a combination. Half the time opposing players just get up and attack or walk away before the caster can follow up with anything.
    If fired from stealth, animations from Hawk Shot and Commanding Shot (as well as any others) should not be visible to other players.
    Healing and temporary HP from Oak Skin and Stag Heart are too small to be meaningful and should be multiplied by 5 at least.

Bear Trap should have three charges. One trap doesn't cover enough area to be useful, particularly not in pve. Better yet, just change the name to Bear Traps and have the player scatter three traps instead of one.

Combatant's Maneuver has never worked properly with HR powers other than Boar Charge. Fix it. It's been years.

Allow Thorned Roots damage to stack. Make it scale properly with enchantments and so on. It never has, which is why the trapper path became useless. How many years are we expected to live with such obvious bugs?

We still need a control break/immunity/escape. The lack of one handicaps the class when DPSing bosses and in pvp in general. Give Forest Ghost the same functionality as, say, Impossible To Catch and that would do it.

There's still a lack of meaningful movement buffs. Ranger and Rogue should be the fastest moving classes, full stop. Ranger movement buffs don't last long enough to be useful. A Ranger should always be able to outrun a GF/Fighter or GWF/Barbarian, classes that should be weighed down by their armor.

^^THIS, upped immediately

@artifleur Gonna test both warden and ranger again when they fix the power/weapon damage bugs. No use doing anything before thursday. Hopefully they sort them out, not keen on having to test these paragons tens of times. And ill pick the best damage dealer anyways when live, be it trapper or combat.

I used steel breeze, hindering, cordon and storm strike and flurry feat + crit.sev feat(I have T.vorpal). Split Strike hits like a wet noodle. even Rapid strike is better than that. Mobs weren't melting nearly as fast as a trapper ranger with T.vorpal.

I have bark shield as my armor ench, no problems with ranger, i fight at melee range with it, shotgun ninja.

But as soon as i tried warden the mobs started getting kills off me.

I find it surprising that you'd notice such a difference. Maybe your warden loadout had "chicken's instinct" but not your hunter loadout. This companion bonus makes you take lethal damage from everything.

Either way, you're right, we'll have to wait for the first wave of fixes before we do more testing.