test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Salvage and Dungeon Chests

Comments

• tripsofthrymrtripsofthrymr Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,624 Community Moderator
    rodosto said:

Neverwinter is not for just high end people that started from the beta.

That's a key point to remember. In making this change, they're looking at the entirety of the player base.

This is not the first change made to curtail the AD glut and I doubt it's the last. Decoupling gear from AD allows more precise control over the AD economy. It will take a very long time for the richest players to run out of accumulated wealth as AD sources are reduced but Cryptic can better steer the average player's experience with this change.

The ability to convert salvage to AD currently favors the player who exhausts the daily random queue awards and continues farming for salvage. It remains to be seen how the new system will shake out, but if it better allows the casual player to fall less far behind the super-dedicated player, that's probably good for the long-term health of the game. I completely understand that some focus their game time on optimizing AD generation and this change will probably hurt that play style. That's certainly not the only reason players spend time in game.

The change does almost nothing to address the game's wealth inequality. Indeed, that's a thorny issue. While some wealth may have been generated using means the Nashers would approve of, vast fortunes have been earned by those who grasp the game economy in detail and opt to spend time profiting from it that might otherwise have been spent raiding dungeons. There's no simple and universally fair solution, though there have been a few decent efforts like ultra-rare-item auctions (AD sink) and the manner in which the UES was introduced to the game (AD redistribution).

Then again, the most expensive items aren't neccessary to enjoy the PVE experience. Large AD balances and BIS gear are more bragging rights than necessity in Neverwinter.

Caritas Guild Founder (Greycloak Alliance)

Sci-fi author: The Gods We Make, The Gods We Seek, and Ji-min
  • undepartedundeparted Member Posts: 88 Arc User
    I’m not going to speak against it until we for sure know the consequences of these changes.

I was angry and frustrated with the AD cap changes, but was proven wrong, seeing as I make the same but way faster.

I will say that this screams and stinks of - “ oh no! We have messed up the hunt mechanic and it’s reward system. People are getting salvage too fast”.

I agree with a previous comment about hiring a person who understands economics. But seeing as this game is of so low priority to Cryptic that they don’t even have room in their budget for a code writer. I fail to see that happen.
  • thefiresidecatthefiresidecat Member Posts: 4,486 Arc User

Why are people even complaining about gear being turned about RP? That's just a side effect. What needs to be observed is the RAD given by chests because this is what is replacing the gear, not the RP you get from the gear.

I've never been given any reason to trust cryptic as far as this kind of thing is concerned. generally when this sort of thing is put thru it IS a nerf. yeah, maybe it's not.. but I'd bet my bottom dollar it is. they will account for the one thing that usually drops in the chest not the rest of the salvage that drops in a run.

rp is focused on because the gear is the one solid in this equation. it is what has value now. it becomes another useless pointless thing in this game with this change. I have a ton of gear I hang on to just in case for alts figuring if and when it becomes obsolete I'll just refine it. I am going to have to finally chuck a bunch of gear I don't want to. my plus five rings from underdark... and gawd how sad it will be when they drop going forward. not even worth 8k.
  • asd98776asd98776 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 6 Arc User
    These changes to "balance the economy" are patently hollow, everyone knows that the bulk of AD is generated in the AH not from salvage. And the unchecked abuses in the AH have been going on for way too long. Just look at any in demand commodity items (like Gmop's, Smop's Uey's etc.) consistently the majority of the market supply is controlled by obvious commercial accounts. If you really want to improve the player experience and balance the economy start in the AH. Furthermore, if people were exploiting the hunts then perma ban them. Don't penalize all of the player base for the misdeeds of a few. Another easy thing that could hamper the blatant commercial activity in the AH is make sellers @handle anonymous that might curtail some of the AD purchase transactions from third party sites. I mean come on how many times does someone have to post a potion for a million plus AD for you to figure out its not a legitimate transaction?? Also the RNG on drops in dungeons is so bad its hard to trust or expect that the drop rate will improve enough to offset these horrible changes that only really hurt actual players rather than the commercial accounts.

Lastly, if your really want to "balance" the economy how about not allowing accounts to "hide" behind a VPN?

Very disappointed about these proposed changes, I expect more than a few people to leave game, but since your economic model thrives on new player turnover I doubt you will make meaningful beneficial changes that affect established players/accounts.
  • therealprotextherealprotex Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 526 Arc User
    I am not sure if it was asked and answered yet, but will we still need campaign keys for the special chests (e.g. second chest in CN, second chest in eSoT, ...)? What about chests that are the only reward chest but need a campaign key, like the one on Merchant Prince's Folly skirmish? If the campaign keys are still needed will the respective chests also have a re-roll option?
  • zephyriahzephyriah Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,980 Arc User

> @frozenfirevr said:

> These changes look quite decent actually. Without the ability to salvage, having access to a seal vendor isn't very beneficial (we get RP but still), an alternative might be better.

>

> Also, don't forget to change the Adventurer Pack drops.

Um yes you still need access to a vendor. The profession vendor is going away too so we will have no way to get rid of our junk pick ups with going to a vendor. Very, very bad idea to not have a vendor of some kind available to VIP players

You can sell stuff to the current seal vendors. Nothing indicates that is changing.
  • faredawg1faredawg1 Member Posts: 81 Arc User
    Nothing but disappointment after disappointment, Mod after Mod. I wonder if I'll ever see a Mod I am excited for ever again. A Mod that doesn't feel like a Used Car Salesman's pitch that's really a direct assault on me and my play style. What a waste of code on Professions. How much new Content will there be with all this effort spent on Professions and AD gain nerfs? One Skirmish? Just a waste.
  • quickfoot#7851 quickfoot Member Posts: 488 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    I think I'll like these changes as long as, the rad generated from running dungeons averages out to be about the same as currently salvaging gear from those dungeons. I see were some people are concerned due to rad bonus from invoking is concerned, but if you still get that bonus, it just mean you might need to actually run that alt for the bonus. Other than that, the loot re-roll is awesome, cut's grinding for chase items down, every run in the new system will be like running the dungeon 5x if you have the tokens, same as now, if you have the keys.

Other concerns are that seals will be worthless, they already said you can purchase RAD w/ seals, which is why they're adding a seals vendor to the vip feature instead of a salvage anvil. You can already purchase rad w/ adventurer seals from leveling dungeons.

So instead of converting gear into rad, you can convert it into rps/gold, awesome, because, hopefully, you'll be getting the rad from the dungeon chest instead.

Now, if you are like me and have 10 alts and currently use them for bonus rad from invokes and salvage (plus farming other stuff like gm's and shards/inf for the coffer), well, they become a little less valuable unless you actually run them through dungeons, which if you are like me and have 500 keys stocked up on em, might be a good idea to do once the changes hit. That being said, the devs have been moving in the general direction of making the game so that you can get away w/ 1 or 2 toons and still have a good chance of competing in the economy, that's a good thing, I mean, why would you want 50 toons to manage anyways? Spending 2 hours invoking is not playing the game.

• arcanjo86arcanjo86 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,093 Arc User
    rodosto said:

%90 of the people in this thread ain't reading anything at all...

Instead of stupid mechanic that is called "salvage", we now can actually get AD from playing the game. That is VERY good. You still get the AD from the dungeon itself. And you DO NOT need any keys at all now. Just named chest keys will remain same.

I hope you guys gonna read that all again before flaming and bashing things up.

It's not a nerf, it's basically improve.

The AD cap helped the economy alot now and that one will help more im sure. With current prices, a new player simply CANNOT get a good stuff unless they are extremely lucky with damned keys. 100k AD will get you 3m AD per month so you need to play for 5 months just to get an orange mount. That is absurd. People needs enchantments, companion stuffs and so on. A complete end game stuff will cost you more than 75m AD. Which is 25 months of playing with one character. It's completely absurd and considering the modules we get often, one simply cannot gear themselves enough to reach true endgame.

I may be did the math roughly but the reason i was trying to imply is the truth. Neverwinter is not for just high end people that started from the beta.

this wont do any ad sink to the most high ad pool players, because they plan what they spend ad on, if the game releases 3 more classes the game ad/real money would raise from the player base, forcing them to spend ad to make their chars stronger, seems 700k a week isnt enough for the devs so they want to fk up free to play players they better put 1000 rp on epic rings and go up from that otherwise it will be a failure.

I’m not going to speak against it until we for sure know the consequences of these changes.

I was angry and frustrated with the AD cap changes, but was proven wrong, seeing as I make the same but way faster.

I will say that this screams and stinks of - “ oh no! We have messed up the hunt mechanic and it’s reward system. People are getting salvage too fast”.

I agree with a previous comment about hiring a person who understands economics. But seeing as this game is of so low priority to Cryptic that they don’t even have room in their budget for a code writer. I fail to see that happen.

we werent getting ad to fast from hunts, exploiter were, you could easily farm t1 hunts in chult/omu and get salvage but the 100k ad daily isnt enought to buy player good stuff at all this will get huge blow on what player want to do for their char play for low ad income or not play at all
  • ramesh84ramesh84 Member Posts: 133 Arc User
    grimah said:

It would make a whole lot of sense if you decided to make armor/ring drops rarer but also sellable (BOE) on auction house to stimulate economy.

@noworries#8859 yes pls! That would help players not-blessed-by-RNG and create a AD sink.

Changes seem to encourage running random queues for AD: I'm quite neutral with that (will cap anyway somehow), but actually it makes some sence, good job ;)
    What most concern me is: "Heroic Encounters will also award RAD on completion": IMO HEs' and levelling dungeon's rewards need to be looked into carefully, as not always balanced with the effort...

• asd98776asd98776 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 6 Arc User
    putzboy78 said:

asd98776 said:

These changes to "balance the economy" are patently hollow, everyone knows that the bulk of AD is generated in the AH not from salvage. And the unchecked abuses in the AH have been going on for way too long. Just look at any in demand commodity items (like Gmop's, Smop's Uey's etc.) consistently the majority of the market supply is controlled by obvious commercial accounts.

Are you describing those accounts that used to be identified in the weekly third party sales reports. Where we would see the top 30 accounts in game with 615M AD in auctions per week? yet no one ever researched it or took action on it?

This new system will not resolve anything. Will just be another work around where people can generate millions of AD out of thin air followed by another round of passive aggressive nerfs to AD generation that hurts the long term players and helps transient players. Even though its the long term players that create a social environment for the transients to enjoy. Simply put there is a belief that players that aren't putting RL$ into the game anymore do not add value to the franchise. That assumption is incorrect because you need a positive social environment to fill in the gaps in content.
    Exactly the AH is rampant with commercial AD farmers/sellers.
    @noworries#8859 the problem from the ad on the game economy is that the game has players that play the ah for tons of ad income if you guys dont take over the ah and cap values for item this ad change you make every modules is going to be a a repeated action on new players
  • agilestoagilesto Member Posts: 516 Arc User
    The ability to re-roll chests is a good news for highly searched items like UE in double runs (hello guaranteed double chest drop in codg), Orcus' Wand/Key of Stars, and let's not forget +5 rings.
    In my quest of getting all the different +5 rings from dungeons, I got 6 different ones, out of thousands of runs of everything since M10. That's... depressing to say the least. If I can have 5 (10 if we can also reroll the campaign chest?) different chests on a single run, well that'll definitely improve my willingness to run dungeons.

Considering the loot tables will remain the same, rerolling the chest to have other chances of unbound drops in T3 is quite a good news.
    For me the standard key was an aberration. I have VIP so I don't have a problem of keys (thousands of excess). But I know players that don't, and they remind me that paying 3.75k a standard key for a chest that almost doesn't cover this cost... not good. So it's a nice the standard chest becomes free-for-all.

For the salvage changes, meh. As for my understanding, seals will basically be worthless, except for the first few runs of a new player, and first few runs of the endgame dungeon for elite seals (crown).
    So epic gear will be used for RP (but how many? below 1k RP would be depressing), or guild marks, but you gotta increase that surplus equipement limit or else I'll get the pitchforks.

I guess testing that on preview will answer a lot of my questions, and I prefer try and see than making assumptions now.
  • dragonlord#1931 dragonlord Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    The main reason the economy is HAMSTER is because of Mastercrafting, we all pay for the actions of the few that make millions per day by NOT running any content. If I wanted to play a cooking game I would I am here to kill HAMSTER, and open chests in the end (and get disappointed ofcourse). All these rich AF fellows they have abused the economy and the system six ways from Sunday on every given day. They make high end gear and sell it for large amounts of profit. They abuse any other way to get guildmarks so they make more items make more AD and then use the AD to buy keys. Open 1000s of keys per day sell the contents and rinse and repeat. In the process of making AD they flood the market with drops and thats why the economy is like it is now and we get all these changes to RAD the past 2 mods.

On top of all of that those people they will complain about the new profession system etc. Crying about the AD they invested in Masterwork and ofcourse REAL money they dropped in for leveling mastercrafting. The last time they dropped real money in the game was years ago because with MC they have no need for more Zen or AD.

So go ahead nerf the hell out of the income commited players who like to run content the proper way. Let other thrive on your mistakes and hand everything we have worked our butts of to grind or farm to new players that have to play the game now for 2 days to get the gear we did "bleed" for.
  • fingerlickngoodfingerlickngood Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    I am interested to know what will happen to maps for material farming?
  • muminekm#3459 muminekm Member Posts: 248 Arc User
    I will test it on preview and then comment this. But I think some people have weird misconception. Seals will be tradeable to AD directly. I assume that instead of buying ring and salvaging it for 3k AD I will be able to buy 3k AD for 300 seals directly.

But there is one weird thing..

"The reason for this was to both remove a frustrating key mechanic as well as create another AD sink to help the economy."

How this will be AD sink? I don't really understand where my AD will "sink" here. Buyable rerolls for AD?

Also what will happen with salvage from bossess? It could yield more AD than chests content.

I truly hope that you will not nerf loot tables. Let's say I have 5% chance for UES from Tong. Now I can run 20 Tongs and get 1 on average. WIth this change I could run 4 Tongs and get 1 granted I would use x4 rerolls (so 5 chances per run). Numbers just for one chest. Of course my rerolls would decrease a lot if I were to use it 4 times per every run. But this would be nice change for someone who have limited playtime like me.. I could run one dungeon daily and reroll few times.

The main reason the economy is HAMSTER is because of Mastercrafting, we all pay for the actions of the few that make millions per day by NOT running any content. If I wanted to play a cooking game I would I am here to kill HAMSTER, and open chests in the end (and get disappointed ofcourse). All these rich AF fellows they have abused the economy and the system six ways from Sunday on every given day. They make high end gear and sell it for large amounts of profit. They abuse any other way to get guildmarks so they make more items make more AD and then use the AD to buy keys. Open 1000s of keys per day sell the contents and rinse and repeat. In the process of making AD they flood the market with drops and thats why the economy is like it is now and we get all these changes to RAD the past 2 mods.

On top of all of that those people they will complain about the new profession system etc. Crying about the AD they invested in Masterwork and ofcourse REAL money they dropped in for leveling mastercrafting. The last time they dropped real money in the game was years ago because with MC they have no need for more Zen or AD.

So go ahead nerf the hell out of the income commited players who like to run content the proper way. Let other thrive on your mistakes and hand everything we have worked our butts of to grind or farm to new players that have to play the game now for 2 days to get the gear we did "bleed" for.

Umm.. I'm not mastercrafter but let me say it: mw don't generate AD out of thin air. This just transfer one guy AD to one guy inventory.. So they wouldn't be able to make lots of AD if they wouldn't have buyers able to pay them lots.

And they can't buy zen without someone buying it first for real cash. So our economy would have the same amount of opened keys regardless if 1) rich player would buy 1000 keys 2) some average joe would use his money to buy keys instead of transfering it to ad
    Suggestion: make loot unbound. Like +4, +5 rings. Right now after I got my +5 rings (like Gravestrike) I immedietely lost interest in some content. There is no reason for me to run it if I can't sell it. With this change AD would value more (people would transfer zen to ad so they would be able to buy legendaries from people).
  • minotaur2857minotaur2857 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,141 Arc User

You guys.... you still have RAD From random queues....
    Just all random queues are like 60k RAD
    Okay granted, lower players can't do all of them. Then its like 20-40k
    Then implement a bonus RAD gain for new players for the first 7-30days, Allowing them to gain 2-5x rad amount.
    Since most of you 'old' players seem to be worried about the new guys... that would solve it correct?

PS the only true way to get rid of this ad overflow is to get us to spend or money on something... And no.. knox doesnt quiet cut it.
    *cough cough* bring rank 15 enchants and artifact armors *cough cough*

Random queues are completely useless to many of us because too many of the dungeons in them are buggy, I can only touch RIQ and there's one of those that is guaranteed to kill me part way through the final encounter due to a bug even though I'm way higher geared than the dungeon is designed for.

I earn my ADs from seals and salvaging the rings from chult maps/hunts and barovian hunts, so this kills me.
    micky1p00 said:

In some cases, like the patrols treasure maps, the fact it is salvageable it's the only consolation for 10s of +1 useless rings, will this be adjusted? Treasure chest giving RAD, or better chance for better rings?
    As right now doing those and Fane is more frustration than it is worth and there is no +5 (Or even +4 in case of Fane) in sight...

One more reason to make it unbound! If I don't get my daily consolation (or pity fee) prize then at least make it unbound so I can buy or sell it if I see it fit. For instance I have decent luck for rings and I could share it with some people.. for exchange for stuff I couldn't get to drop.
  • thefiresidecatthefiresidecat Member Posts: 4,486 Arc User
    arcanjo86 said:

@noworries#8859 the problem from the ad on the game economy is that the game has players that play the ah for tons of ad income if you guys dont take over the ah and cap values for item this ad change you make every modules is going to be a a repeated action on new players

no new ad is being made here. it is ad that is already in the economy. the higher the prices the more actual ad is taken out of the economy lol
  • So what exactly are we supposed to do with all this refinement if theres nothing left to refine? Can we sell it? Convert it into ad? I mean already on a weekly basis I give away tons of refinement cause I dont need it. And what about the guild coffer? U are probably going to have to up the cap on guild rosters because no one is going to be able to level a guild up with the outrageous ad exchange on the coffer, no ad vouchers, and taking away salvage is going to kill the building of new guilds and everyone is going to be pushing to get in a high level guild. We are routinely full with a waiting list of people trying to get in because at this point it's hard enough to level a guild up, taking away the salvage is going to make this worse. The prices in the ah are going up not down, a legendary pack used to be 6 mil now they're up to 8, n let's not even discuss the prices of legendary tools. And none of these changes are going to effect the main problem which is those players who we all know are exploiting 3rd party sources, have more ad then they could ever spend, and dont even play content just play the zen exchange and the ah. Anyone in this game can name at least 3, yet they are routinely ignored and the players who do the work are stuck with the <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> changes that further hobble them against upgrading their character or their guild. Let's just say I'm glad fallout 76 is coming in November because I will need something to play. Hopefully all those newbies u guys seem to be catering to throw tons of money your way cause the long term players are dropping like flies. Theres honestly nothing enticing them to stay.