test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

M15: Trickster Rogue Class Changes

Comments

• Options
    mebengalsfan#9264 mebengalsfan Member Posts: 3,169 Arc User
    Go read the CW fixes. The devs have stated that other than game changing bugs what you see in test is what you will get.

Hopefully come mod 16 they continue to tweak all classes to get all of them to similar damage levels. Until that time, I hope that someone finds the right build to produce crazy damage as a rogue.
  • Options
    Pretty much resigned myself that Mod15 is gonna be terrible for a few classes and painfully wait for Mod16
  • Options
    crizzunch#1911 crizzunch Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    I really like the philosophical shift to go toward a more iterative process and make fine-tuning tweaks more often. I'm surprised this hasn't happened sooner, especially since the devs are in Redwood City, CA - right near Silicon Valley. I lived out there for a while and worked for a large software company (I've since moved, but still work in software as a product manager) and there's a lot of attention to concepts akin to the one promoted in The Lean Startup.

The idea is to move away from the tradition waterfall dev cycle (larger releases made less frequently) and to move toward agile (smaller releases made more frequently), which puts updates and changes into the end user's hands sooner and, thus, tightening up the feedback loop for future improvements. There's more chaos in terms of how frequent the changes are, but when it concerns class balancing, I think this approach is by far the best way to go.

In addition to the devs being more free to release changes "into the wild" more often to see what actually happens (which could limit how much testing they need to do in-house and free up resources for other, higher value activities), this would change the mindset of how players view the current "meta." That is, if the meta is subtly changing every few weeks instead of every few months, then players have to constantly revisit which classes they want to include in their groups. In a way, this could level the playing field from a pure perception/psychological perspective - the answer wouldn't be as simple as ___ class is horrible for this mod, ___ class is OP for this mod.

Is it hard (for the devs and the player base) to have more frequent changes appear more sporadically? Yes, of course. But I think the benefits of quicker updates outweigh the costs for both groups of stakeholders relative to the model of making a LOT of changes together and introducing an exponential level of complexity each time this topic is addressed.

I've been on NW Xbox for 3.5 years or so and I have three endgame toons with BiS gear: TR, SW, DC. Between the TR and SW, it's been a roller coaster when it comes to class effectiveness/desirability/rebalancing. :)
  • Options
    mikal#9243 mikal Member Posts: 203 Arc User
    The only real positive to come from any of this is that it does encourage the use of other trees, ive been having a blast experimenting with scoundrel. I definitely notice the damage shortfall but it does make things feel somewhat fresh.
    Im not gonna be okay with the proposed changes and i will continue to voice my opposition, but if in the end our protests come to nothing i guess i can play scoundrel instead....silver linings.
    Have any of you also taken the opportunity to experiment with other builds? Any thoughts on how they are working for you as an alternative to exe?
  • Options
    mongoosemobstermongoosemobster Member Posts: 42 Arc User

I really like the philosophical shift to go toward a more iterative process and make fine-tuning tweaks more often. I'm surprised this hasn't happened sooner, especially since the devs are in Redwood City, CA - right near Silicon Valley. I lived out there for a while and worked for a large software company (I've since moved, but still work in software as a product manager) and there's a lot of attention to concepts akin to the one promoted in The Lean Startup.

The idea is to move away from the tradition waterfall dev cycle (larger releases made less frequently) and to move toward agile (smaller releases made more frequently), which puts updates and changes into the end user's hands sooner and, thus, tightening up the feedback loop for future improvements. There's more chaos in terms of how frequent the changes are, but when it concerns class balancing, I think this approach is by far the best way to go.

In addition to the devs being more free to release changes "into the wild" more often to see what actually happens (which could limit how much testing they need to do in-house and free up resources for other, higher value activities), this would change the mindset of how players view the current "meta." That is, if the meta is subtly changing every few weeks instead of every few months, then players have to constantly revisit which classes they want to include in their groups. In a way, this could level the playing field from a pure perception/psychological perspective - the answer wouldn't be as simple as ___ class is horrible for this mod, ___ class is OP for this mod.

Is it hard (for the devs and the player base) to have more frequent changes appear more sporadically? Yes, of course. But I think the benefits of quicker updates outweigh the costs for both groups of stakeholders relative to the model of making a LOT of changes together and introducing an exponential level of complexity each time this topic is addressed.

I've been on NW Xbox for 3.5 years or so and I have three endgame toons with BiS gear: TR, SW, DC. Between the TR and SW, it's been a roller coaster when it comes to class effectiveness/desirability/rebalancing. :)

There's many ways of iteration. Have you looked specifically at how this is going on? Cryptic's version of iteration is like dampening the amplitude of a wave to find the steady-state. In other words, it's an iteration based on buff-nerf-buff-nerf-buff-nerf.

That's not a healthy model for players that have to go through that cycle every single mod.

What is healthy, is a feedback loop. Iteration where it's about refinement of the current iteration. And a manner that's gradual, manually dampened so that the transition is balanced between the enjoyment of the gameplay of a class and the enjoyment of, well, the people who have to play with that class in their party.

But truly the main point is: You are praising an in-development approach to iteration that does not at all apply to a game that is already live. How many HAMSTER people are going to be playing the damn game and riding this rollercoaster of "iteration" as if they're beta testers.

Beta development. That's where this version of iteration belongs.

Instead, we get to be beta testers.

Just kidding, Cryptic doesn't listen to beta testers.

Because we are metrics, not players. They don't need to listen to us. They just read our barcodes, because we are but products being sold to ourselves.
  • Options
    dagambitdagambit Member Posts: 187 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    > @noworries#8859 said:
    > There has certainly be plenty of posts about the lack of feedback across the class threads. Since the TR thread has the most activity, I wanted to post a response to that.
    >
    Well to be honest this is exactly what you hired a "Community Manager" for just for this kinda of hot topic. The community managers job is to be a buffer between the community player base and the devs. A community manager should be able to be these topics to the devs, and then return to the games player base with an answer. It may not be what we want to hear but is feedback. Hence the title "Community Manager". I have seen games where the community manager is involved in the player community and it work (IE Massive Entertainment) they do a state of the game stream every week and interact with the community. I have yet to see that with NW, I have heard about them I myself have never seen them. Im not saying adapt what Massive is doing because it works for them, it my not work with this platform. But at least once or twice a month there should be in my opinion a state of the game. This game is way to big and popular to not have a bi monthly or weekly stream on Friday's.
    Rogue - Setsuna F Seiei (PC)
    Rogue - Setsuna F Seiei (XB1)
    Rogue - Serenity (PS4)
  • Options
    niceduck#2839 niceduck Member Posts: 54 Arc User
    Today I was on random advanced (PS4) queue with my 16k+ TR. Dungeon last over 2 hours, as GWF did less than half on my TR dmg and SW did nothing. Pally healed and GF tanked.

Think about this on mod 15 ... same party would been there half a day ...
  • Options
    adinosiiadinosii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,294 Arc User

Hopefully come mod 16 they continue to tweak all classes to get all of them to similar damage levels.

If you mean "...all DPS classes...", fine ... but it makes no sense to boost the damage of the support classes unless you significantly limit their buffing/debuffing/mitigation/healing abilities, and I really doubt people want that.

As far as TRs are concerned, I think that any viable long-term solution will have to separate their PvP avilities from PvE abilities - have some kkey powers work differently in PvP than in PvE. This would allow tuning their PvP performance to level the playing field there, while at the same time keep the TR viable as the "single target DPS" class in PvE.

Hoping for improvements...
  • Options
    leonidrexleonidrex Member Posts: 401 Arc User
    adinosii said:

Hopefully come mod 16 they continue to tweak all classes to get all of them to similar damage levels.

If you mean "...all DPS classes...", fine ... but it makes no sense to boost the damage of the support classes unless you significantly limit their buffing/debuffing/mitigation/healing abilities, and I really doubt people want that.

As far as TRs are concerned, I think that any viable long-term solution will have to separate their PvP avilities from PvE abilities - have some kkey powers work differently in PvP than in PvE. This would allow tuning their PvP performance to level the playing field there, while at the same time keep the TR viable as the "single target DPS" class in PvE.

I'm paladin player. I wholeheartedly agree that some buffing powers of OP need to be tuned down in PvE or mb nerfed powers and buffed feats?.
    but in grand scheme of things, increasing damage of support classes wont matter. you might ask why? becouse good dps deals 10x my damage. you can literarly quadruple the damage i deal, and I Still will have same role in the party :) .
    PvP wise, my strongest hitting encounter has base damage of around 25-30k when im unbuffed by others, GF has 200k on top of this encounter stunning, just a food for thought.

And now to the developers, i want you people to take into consideration medium geared TR here, their damage will be gimped AAAAAND addition of buffed MW3 weapons that will be expensive as hell will make them NEVER EVER invited to anythings above fbi/mspc, unless pity run. why invite 14k TR with primal if 15k GWF with MW3 set will have double/triple the damage.
    Consider those 11k/12k players too, they are bigger part of the playerbase then those 16k+ those people will endure no matter what i think but those lower ilvl get cucked.
  • Options
    exact0khan#1334 exact0khan Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    I run an 18k tr. I won't lie iv dumped a bit of $ into it. This is pathetic. Tr has been the bottom dps class since I started on ps4 launch, mod 14 we got "balance". Now your snatching it away. Good thing iv been working on a pally so I can put my beast of a tr to sleep through mod 15 until it's actually fixed, if ever.
  • Options
    What happened to the talk earlier about balancing TR's base damage/stats before tweaking with feats and skills?
  • Options
    dlayer2dlayer2 Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    My story: Started playing 6 months after release on pc and took wk path. Everything seemed fine and comparable to other classes in pve but complaints formed over pvp.....stealth got nerfed. I think we all managed after that.

I tried the new burning gear, it was strongest even in pve at the time, and even tried pvp but got destroyed most times.They added new powers, new feats, lv 70, bondings and sh. The damage gap became really noticable. My wife has been with me from the start as an ac mind you, so we start new on ps4 we worked our way up to 14k ish and t9 comes out.
    We are in high lv active guild/alliance at the time and go in with some guild mates, before meta, we fail. People start calling for it, we answer and all the sudden dps is full but they still need ac.

At this point my wife is getting pms asking for t9 in avoidance of my tr, new alt account dps start showing up, more pms, she refuses to go without me, more alt dcs start showing up.

Nobody has to run with me and people want success i get it but for anyone who may not know this is a pretty average tr lifespan. Cryptic gave a few buffs and at 16.5 (w/o leg mount after over 700 Lb....) i can primary dps even cr...slowly but successfully. People will prefer other classes but at least they dont run away at the sight of a tr now. Im not asking for 1st on damage and i kindof feel gwf should be up there..they got a giant sword....but dont put us so far behind that we get avoided.

Sb last mod got 1extra tic but damage got dialed back...even wash? I doubt it. Now it gets nerfed again. Also most of the capstone feats for wk got hit, and i didnt even know powerlooping was a thing untill this thread....this is a real kick in the face whats going on here.
    Then a fake developer gets made up to take the fall and "no longer be here" cause everyone knew it would turn into a lynch mob. How can you balance broke? Maybe start with bugs and daily stacking....go from there...why not try seemingly easy steps first?

Make a bad product and most will no longer buy...I may be done after this, we will see and I like this game 5+ yrs
    Dont forget we get 2 less points than others on damage bonus because our primary is not in that catagory...need self buffs imo

Darkspeed
  • Options
    finalfantasyac7finalfantasyac7 Member Posts: 582 Arc User
    Just installed the update today and noticed a big damage nerf on my tr + invisible infiltrator is broken. It doesn't refill stealth after using daily. Thought the big nerf would come in mod 15.
    Guess devs couldn't wait to nerf the tr (smh)
    Warlock- Lv80. || Rogue - Lv80. || Wizard - Lv80. || Paladin - Lv80. || Cleric - Lv80. || Ranger - Lv70. || Barbarian - Lv70. || Fighter - Lv70.

¨˜ˆ”°¹~•-.„¸ρℓαуιиg иєνєяωιитєя ѕιи¢є 2015¸„.-•~¹°”ˆ˜¨

• Options
    morgulknifemorgulknife Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    All these pages and the impression I get is TR's are never getting into top end content outside a guild group that carries them along anymore in PVE. With every sentence typed it becomes apparent that between those that play TR's and those making the changes one of the sides honestly does not know how the game works....and it is not the players who do not know how TR's work. I find that crazy, and pathetic. Over all these years we trusted that TR's would one day be back up to the DPS we once were in PVE. Most support classes can now out DPS us....How did this happen Cryptic?
  • Options
    mikal#9243 mikal Member Posts: 203 Arc User
    Can we please have a developer response about the status of these changes? Are you listening to feedback and making any alterations based on them?
  • Options
    sirjimbofrancissirjimbofrancis Member Posts: 348 Arc User

It is unlikely that there will be any other changes to the classes (outside of any critical bugs that come up) before M15 release. Any additional design/balance changes would happen in M16 at this point (again outside of any issues that come up that get addressed in a patch before M16)

@mikal#9243 this is from the CW feedback thread.
    Lilia Drakon - PVE Executioner TR
    She Looked Lvl 18

Here is my Blog
  • Options
    sirjimbofrancissirjimbofrancis Member Posts: 348 Arc User
    @noworries#8859
    Exposed Weakness: this Sabo feat does not work. As far as I can tell it does literally nothing

Lurkers Assault: has an AP gain block that needs to be removed.

Please, and thank you.
    Lilia Drakon - PVE Executioner TR
    She Looked Lvl 18

Here is my Blog
  • Options
    cecilya85#5812 cecilya85 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    How long does it take after the mod is out non PC until it gets to console??

I just want to know when I can stop playing because you Devs crippled the TR to death... it won’t be fun anymore for sure being again in the timeline where you can run things with your guild or you never can run things...

I hope you Devs are happy with your decision...

Finally the TR worked good and you had to freaking nerf it to the ground...

I don’t know which class to play instead because all others are meehh (at least for me) and grinding again up all to max? Hell no...

It’s just not fair to your TR players that you „balance“ it that extreme... to extreme and don’t hit every class the same way no, just the TR... again...

Not fair...
    Extremely not fair...

LOL Thanks for not listening to the community and killing the game for me xD xD
  • Options
    doublerainbow#8002 doublerainbow Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    Meh, looks like this is what we are getting. It's dissapointing when you're dreading an upcoming mod rather than being excited for it.

After the whole Barovia hunt thing it's already slim pickings for support if you're friends aren't online. I'll reluctantly give mod 15 a chance on my TR, but that's about it. I probably will not put any new gear on it. I'll get the new goodies on my acdc and that's it.

I will enjoy other titles and wait to see if the team will make the TR right in mod 16 or bring the other dps classes down to it's level. I doubt they will do that after the negative feedback that's been received in this thread. Can you imagine if they did the GWF and HR (both classes do just as much dps, if not more than the TR if there is no AoC in the group) like they did the TR? It would be very similar to this one only on a much larger scale due to the popularity of both classes.
  • Options
    I dunno when Mod 15 will be released but i don't think most xboxone/ps4 players ( tr and non tr players ) will be playing neverwinter next month. Im not allowed to discuss it cuz its against forum rules/tos.

Warlock- Lv80. || Rogue - Lv80. || Wizard - Lv80. || Paladin - Lv80. || Cleric - Lv80. || Ranger - Lv70. || Barbarian - Lv70. || Fighter - Lv70.

• Options
    sociald#9983 sociald Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    I let my vip expire and Ive already quit playing about a week or more ago. Check these forums periodically to see if there are any changes but so far it seems like its going to be as is in which case I wont be coming back. getting into groups for content was already hard for a TR its going to be fruitless so no point. if its as is.
  • Options
    Still two days VIP left, wont renew untill this issue has final decision. TR has always been my main, DC and OP supporters. On mod13 I got excatly ZERO runs on To9G, with my DC around 100. On mod14, I have been able to run To9G with my TR, also CoR. IF this class change goes as planned, on mod 15 I won't run even Tiamat with my TR ! Thus this game was here, thank you all the fishes and good bye.
  • Options
    I was there to whitness last moments of Nokia Mobile Phones, this looks pretty much same ...
  • Options
    Can any cryptic dev tell us -
    Why our class feature is broken?
    We lose stealth when using bloodbath daily
    Invisible infiltrator refills stealth on any daily except bloodbath
    Our damage is HAMSTER

Mod 15 isn't been released on Xbox One yet lmao.

• Options
    ** I know this post going to be deleted **

Black Desert Online coming to console November 8th.
    Bye bye Neverwinter.

• Options
    theothergaliusz#7671 theothergaliusz Member Posts: 56 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    DPS must make their own groups or they will be rarely picked in channels for endGame dungeons runs.
    This should be clear for people who had a hard time getting into tong in mod12-13.

When new mod is released it will be like erupting volcano. I am sure that half population is not aware of the changes, because why bother checking the forum about something that is not present in the live server. There will be more negative comments. I think there are people positive reciving the changes, but they never set a foot on preview server.

What will happend in MOD16 can change anytime. but mod15 will still happend.

When i see the change to TR and MOD16 i think about YAGNI( You aren't gonna need it)
    is a principle of extreme programming (XP) that states a programmer should not add functionality until deemed necessary.[4] XP co-founder Ron Jeffries has written: "Always implement things when you actually need them, never when you just foresee that you need them."[5]

I think that TR in mod 16 will still stay behing other dps. Any big changes to other classes will never be comparable to removing core engine mechanic from TR class and buffing other trees is something that should be done long time ago or only change for MOD15 for TR.

Mod 16 there will still be a gap with DPS classes and this will correct it in MOD17 and MOD18.
    The clients (players) are not satisfy with the product anymore. The sad comments should be well recived by now.

Its not a developer problem that a lot of people experience butthurt as they only resolve bugs and finish task with estimated time.
    Post edited by theothergaliusz#7671 on
  • Options

What will happend in MOD16 can change anytime. but mod15 will still happend.

Yeah, this probably the number one problem. Even if Mod16 actually balances things, we still have to suffer through Mod15. Or play another class in Mod15.

The funny thing is that there'll be a lot less TRs running around, which means a lot less metrics and data for Cryptic to use. Maybe the lack of class population will be enough of a wake up call.
  • Options
    giobbogiobbo Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    i didn't read other classes fixes but those of tr seems more a nerf then a balance
    if the problem is to balance classes between pvp and pve the answer is simple:
    look around, if you see something working well, get it and use it.

In some mmorpgs where you can play pvp and pve there is a massive difference between the related equipment, if you want to be competitive in one of them you have to play them to get related gear and it makes sense.

In neverwinter we have useless pvp sets and jewels because pve gear is the best and to be honest this is unthinkable.

instead of changing the classes powers, trees and whatever every 4/6 mounths you should focus on improve pvp mechanics.

Rework a nice pvp campaign (the one we have right now is datated to be gentle)
    with a nice and large choice between boons (the best would be to have a pvp campaign for each existing module).

Work on pvp items and equipment (artifacts)... where are pvp weapons?? unbelievable! , why not to create new armor and weapon enchantment dedicated to pvp only?

Create a new panel as the same that we have in left top window to change character spec dedicated to pvp only, maybe with different/nerfed/fixed skills and trees so when the player is flagged as pvp the spec and equipment will automatically changes into the one he chosed.

Create a new inventory space for pvp items only.

I think you have deposit a lot of content in pve leaving behind the pvp and thats the result,and it will not change in the future if you will not take care of pvp, if you dont, in 6/12 mounths you will find yourself having to "balance" classes again as you are doing from years.

Thats is my point of view.
  • Options
    furycury82furycury82 Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    Been keeping up with the nerfs and keeping my mouth shut until it was final. I guess it's about final. I main a TR and have invested a bit of $$ into the game. With that said I have expectations from the devs to produce or at least attempt to produce a balanced and/or competitive game. I no longer feel I'm getting either.

As for me, I won't be spending anymore $$ on the game. Most likely will only log in to check things out periodically. As old as this game is, there will never be a major new influx of players, so I don't understand why they would want to get rid of the veteran players who have been here for years and helped finance the game.

This was my holiday spending last year, at this rate, it will never happen again.

• Options
    intothegrooveintothegroove Member Posts: 39 Arc User
    I main a TR and am really regretting extending my vip, but i play for fun and will try out the new mod just to see if its gonna be as bad as everybody says. i know that balancing needs to occur but i've been playing MMO's for nearly 15 years and i've never seen a class balance that has been so cack handed. a proper hatchet job. mod 15's supposed balance is actually an assassination of the TR, ironic really considering the class.