test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Mod 14 predictions.

adinosiiadinosii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,294 Arc User
edited April 2018 in General Discussion (PC)
OK, Mod 14 has not been announced yet, but we know it will be coming later this year - so, I thought It would be fun to try to make some predictions/guesses what it will be like - and then, once it is announced, see who got closest to the truth:

I'll start:

Theme/Story: Dark, horror-themed, Ravenloft-inspired. Travel to the Demiplane of Dread or Shadowfell. Who knows, maybe Valindra will make a comeback with new allies - she is still out there, maybe plotting a revenge. Her story was left unfinished, after all.

When: Preview server around May 5th. Release (on PC) anround July 1st.

Other:
  1. We will not get a new class.
  2. We will get a fashion outfit that looks like a cross between a Bavarian Octoberfest outfit and a Transylvanian folk dance costume.
  3. We will get some unexpected QoL change that evryone will love, and a "balancing" change that players of at least one class will absolutely hate.
So, make your guesses...

Hoping for improvements...

Comments

• Options
    pteriaspterias Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 661 Arc User
    Disclaimer: These are just my predictions, not my request list.

Theme: Some sort of Planar conflict/disturbance spilling over into the Realms. Possibilities include the Blood War, Giths vs. Mindflayers, a Great Modron March, etc. We would need to put out some fires locally, but would ultimately need to go track down the source and try to shut the whole thing down from there.

When: End of June / beginning of July, between Jubilee and Summerfest.

Features:
    - A Modron companion.
    - Some kind of funky, aberration-based mount.
    - Alchemist/Engineer/Clockwork looking fashion and gear.
    - An Underdark-style smattering of new HEs in older zones that tie into the new campaign.
    - They try to nerf one of the overpowered classes by making it stronger, buff an underperforming class by making it weaker, and straight-up crazy-buffing another class making it the new hotness.

---

For bonus points, I predict a level cap increase and Bard class for Mod 15. :wink:
  • Options
    wylonuswylonus Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,376 Arc User
    list nearly endless.

1. Calimshan
    2. Waterdeep (Halister's Maze)
    3. Sigil, City of the Doors
    4. Pirates of Sword Coast
    5. Scrolls of Netherese
    6. Baba Yuga's Dancing Hut.
  • Options
    therealprotextherealprotex Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 526 Arc User
    My guess is that the Chult map is too large with too many unexplored white spots left to be dropped already.
  • Options
    c3rb3r3c3rb3r3 Member Posts: 277 Arc User
    edited April 2018
    Content : dark theme, mantol derith continuation, Valindra comeback

Other :

- Dungeon revamp (possibly raid) gated behind lags
    - Another TR/DC rework
    - 10 power bugfixes among hundreds
    - Mythic belt/cloak
    - Armor enchantment buffs
    - Rank 14 mythic weapon/armor enchantment (unparralled of different types fusion) (that's my dream)
    - GWF still untouched
    - Disappointement
    Post edited by c3rb3r3 on
  • Options
    rikitakirikitaki Member Posts: 926 Arc User
    Well, at the moment it is Dungeons and Dragons and Demons and Dinosaurs... so, may be Doves are on the horizon?
  • Options
    nitocris83nitocris83 Member, Cryptic Developer, Administrator Posts: 4,498 Cryptic Developer
    rikitaki said:

Well, at the moment it is Dungeons and Dragons and Demons and Dinosaurs... so, may be Doves are on the horizon?

Dingos, Dolphins, Ducks!

Thanks to this post, today I learned about the Dugong, a marine animal closely related to the manatee.
  • Options
    greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,095 Arc User
    Temporary Paralysis will be escalated to Permanent Paralysis, taking effect as soon as the character zones into the new dungeon/skirmish. Upon death characters will be removed from the instance without reward.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • Options
    athena#9205 athena Member Posts: 575 Arc User
    the messup with enchant procing only one target will get fixed (my biggest hope)
    the monk bard and druid class will be included
    quest item bag
    convert profession resources possible
    a sea based theme maps on the moonshae islands
    -- sailing, pirating, hunting pirates
    random ques get fixed properly do DCd gets kicked
    launched sometime early summer

and for bonus points, armor enchant looks get optioned for removal :)
  • Options
    mentinmindmakermentinmindmaker Member Posts: 1,490 Arc User
    edited April 2018
    Game is a bit on the wrong track with buffs/debuffs being so dominant for dps:
    * The 2 DC meta is still dominant, which is bad since game otherwise assumes healers as 1 of 5
    * People have more fun playing pure dps than a boring buff/debuff (this really is VERY important to retain customers)
    * The buff/debuff situation needs to be resolved before any other significant class balancing is done

So my guess is we get a new system with diminishing returns also applied to +dps and +power buffs, just as we got to +dps debuffs a bit back. Cryptic did mention they wanted to do this before mod 13, so I think it is time it happens.

Then I hope they follow up with rebalancing of the CW, which is the class that is lagging most behind now. Dps CWs need buffing to at least reach GWF/HRs in dps to have a role in game. At least because there need to be some compensation for being glass cannons.
  • Options
    muminekm#3459 muminekm Member Posts: 248 Arc User
    Offtopic (response to offtopic.. it shouldn't be in this thread, let's keep it closer to subject and move those two posts or delete them :) )

Game is a bit on the wrong track with buffs/debuffs being so dominant for dps:
    * The 2 DC meta is still dominant, which is bad since game otherwise assumes healers as 1 of 5
    * People have more fun playing pure dps than a boring buff/debuff (this really is VERY important to retain customers)
    * The buff/debuff situation needs to be resolved before any other significant class balancing is done

So my guess is we get a new system with diminishing returns also applied to +dps and +power buffs, just as we got to +dps debuffs a bit back. Cryptic did mention they wanted to do this before mod 13, so I think it is time it happens.

Then I hope they follow up with rebalancing of the CW, which is the class that is lagging most behind now. Dps CWs need buffing to at least reach GWF/HRs in dps to have a role in game. At least because there need to be some compensation for being glass cannons.

Let's not assume things :) I love buffind/debuffing and NW is very good place for people like me. I really appreciate "dynamic" buff/debuff system compared to other MMOs. Casting 1-2h long buffs before every fight is standard for most. I'm not saying people shouldn't be able to do "pure dps" like you said. But don't assume people play buff/debuff class only because they're forced to. And remember that "pure dps" is even more boring. No interaction between classes and skills? I could just play with bots then who would press 1 attack button that would slowly remove boss HP.

And honestly I don't see why CW need to reach GWF/HR level in terms of pure dps. If every class would have same damage I would just roll the dice instead of chosing class to play. You need changes in other areas - like bring back CC-able mobs etc, better utility, better aoe in exchange for single dps..etc.
  • Options

Let's not assume things :) I love buffind/debuffing and NW is very good place for people like me. I really appreciate "dynamic" buff/debuff system compared to other MMOs. Casting 1-2h long buffs before every fight is standard for most. I'm not saying people shouldn't be able to do "pure dps" like you said. But don't assume people play buff/debuff class only because they're forced to. And remember that "pure dps" is even more boring. No interaction between classes and skills? I could just play with bots then who would press 1 attack button that would slowly remove boss HP.

And honestly I don't see why CW need to reach GWF/HR level in terms of pure dps. If every class would have same damage I would just roll the dice instead of chosing class to play. You need changes in other areas - like bring back CC-able mobs etc, better utility, better aoe in exchange for single dps..etc.

While I share the same feeling as you that finishing challenging content by class interaction is much more fun than just by "pure" dps'ing, there are a few things I have to contradict.

First, whether people like the buff/debuff style of play or not, they ARE forced to play it this way, because only this way end-game content is doable at all. (I am not questioning this, if it was doable w/o buff/debuff, it would be boring.)

Secondly, the CW does not need to be on the same DPS level as GWF/HR per se. However, people spent a lot of time (and money) into the CW-DPS build that was not even close to GWF and maybe could compare with the HR. But that build was nerfed to the ground. Without need. Without reason. Without explanation. The SS-Thauma-CW was one of the best builds to kill mobs quickly, the combination of the Spell Storm feature, the Lightning enchantment and the AoEs was lethal. And quoting the begin of one famous build in the internet: "death is the best crowd control", it is clear that this build was the build that came closest to live up to the class' original name - CONTROL wizard.

Now the SS-Thauma-CW is hardly needed anymore, worse, noone WANTS him in endgame content and I am glad that I am in a great guild that takes me along anyway. But random? No chance. So the point is, no player of a CW demands that the CW is on par with GWF/HR in terms of pure dps output. But we are still in rage about the double nerf that was uncalled for. I am sure that nearly 100% of the CWs were content if that double nerf was reversed again even though CWs are still far from GWF/HR then.
  • Options
    mentinmindmakermentinmindmaker Member Posts: 1,490 Arc User

Secondly, the CW does not need to be on the same DPS level as GWF/HR per se.

To have a role as dps we do. There would be no reason to ask for/bring a CW as dps unless it can perform at the same level as the alternatives. And since the CW has lower defense and thus can expect to spend more time as dead, the CW dps should actually be higher than GWF/HR to provide same overall benefit in heavy endgame situations.

• Options
    edited April 2018
    Please folks, try to stick on topic and make predictions on what we will see - and once it is properly announced we'll see who is closest to the truth.

For that matter, Ravenloft seems more and more likely, from various hints and bits of information being dropped here and there.....
  • Options
    C'mon folks, this is a Mod prediction thread! I could lay down some hot fire on the balance / CW thing too, but not here.

Back ON-TOPIC, I was thinking the next Mod would be based on the upcoming D&D adventure, but it would actually be way too early. Last year, Neverwinter launched Chult before the adventure even came out, which I thought was odd. This would be even earlier than that! I'm now thinking that this time, Neverwinter will be a couple months behind the matching hardback release. If so, then I shift all of my predictions to Mod 15.
    adinosii said:

Please folks, try to stick on topic and make predictions on what we will see - and once it is properly announced we'll see who is closest to the truth.

For that matter, Ravenloft seems more and more likely, from various hints and bits of information being dropped here and there.....

I think you might be right.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    Maybe M14 picks up some loose strings:

For the greater good Makos already has done some questionable things. Why not push it further? In order to defeat the alliance between Vizeran deVir - motivated by a burning hate towards Makos for crossing his plans withe the Maze Engine - and the Elemental Eye, he joins up forces with another well known lich: Valindra Shadowmantle

Betrayal, deceit or the greater good, since Neverwinter is threatened to be crushed between these two forces, the city needs the help of the Adventurers more than ever. And only when the war hits it peak, Makos shows his true intentions...
    Post edited by therealprotex on
  • Options
    thevampinatorthevampinator Member Posts: 307 Arc User
    edited April 2018
    It is possible the prediction the author of this thread said might be the correct one. I hope its ravenloft. Would be interesting to see how they do it.
  • Options
    muminekm#3459 muminekm Member Posts: 248 Arc User
    edited April 2018
    > @thevampinator said:
    > It is possible the prediction the author of this thread said might be the correct one. I hope its ravenloft. Would be interesting to see how they do it.

Your account name show you're already excited about ravenloft xD But same here.

Im interested if hunting will be present in some form in m14 (I dislike its rng but I like hunting in general. But I don't want do to only hunting for whole module >.>). Also what new gameplay mechanics they will introduce-each new world introduced some different system like hunting/treasure maps etc.
    Post edited by muminekm#3459 on
  • Options
    I'm not super-duper in love with Ravenloft, but Curse of Strahd is the only hardback adventure I've run for 5E, so I'd be rather interested in a related Mod. Shifting my own theorycrafting in that direction, there's a couple different approaches I could see. They could go back and try to do a quick and dirty Curse of Strahd, they could keep it more focused like the original Ravenloft adventure from the 80's (the Village of Barovia and Castle Ravenloft only), they could try to do a spin-off or sequel to one of them, or they could go off in a different more original direction just based on the Ravenloft setting. Storywise, I imagine all this mess with the Soulmonger and the energy from flushing the Atropal could draw the baleful eyes of the Dark Powers.

For specifics:
    - Ravenloft is supposed to be a prison plane of sorts and normally travel (namely, leaving) can be very difficult. However, for the sake of how this game works, I could imagine a handy Vistani wagon always being around to take us back and forth. I don't imagine it would be very well received if a character had to finish the mod before they could play anywhere else in the game again!
    - Our main contact would probably either be Van Ritchen or Esmeralda. If Esmerelda, she may also provide the wagon from above.
    - I'm not sure how well various Ravenloft-y things would translate here like the hopelessness and moral quandaries. For example, when I ran the adventure, the party was so beat down mentally, they managed to strike a deal with Strahd to just let them go instead of fighting. Said party included a Paladin. O_o (Part of me was sad and disappointed, but another part of me was like "Now you know what it means to Ravenloft.")
    - If Castle Ravenloft is used directly, I'm not sure if it would be a Dungeon like Tong, or if it would be a more standard adventuring site. Both? It is ENORMOUS and expeditions into it can have different goals beyond the obvious. It's pretty normal to go in hunting for some item or person then try to escape. Then again, it's also pretty normal to get invited for dinner... MUAHAHAHAHA!!!!
    - It could be something they worked on back a couple years ago when CoS came out, but it never made it to release. If so, they could have a lot of assets and mechanics already laying around for it. For reference, it would have been between Mods 9 and 10. It could give them the extra headroom now to make it a more elaborate setting than normal.
    - My favorite part from the hardback was the Amber Temple, but I'm not sure how that could really be implemented here without losing what was interesting about it.
  • Options
    grogthemagnifgrogthemagnif Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,651 Arc User
    For the 10th Anniversary of his death, i would expect an expedition to Greyhawk and next year, on the 10th Anniversary of his death, I would expect an expedition to Blackmoor. Just sayin'.
  • Options
    nwwizardnwwizard Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3 Arc User
    Theme/Story: I would enjoy a mod in Ravenloft, especially if we get to go to Castle Ravenloft. I think Chris Perkins worked on the last iteration of Ravenloft and since he has also worked with Cryptic/Perfect World in the past, I hope that they collaborate again on Ravenloft because I enjoy the results of such collaborations.

Other: I would love to see the mount system applied to companions. Specifically, separate the active bonuses from the actual summoned companion so that we can have any companion in play with us. Instead of a "stable" inactive companions could be in the "tavern". If the gear system was left intact, separate the gear selection profile (i.e. three rings, two rings and a neck, etc.) from the actual summoned companion.
  • Options
    trgluestickztrgluestickz Member Posts: 1,144 Arc User
    edited April 2018
    adinosii said:

OK, Mod 14 has not been announced yet, but we know it will be coming later this year - so, I thought It would be fun to try to make some predictions/guesses what it will be like - and then, once it is announced, see who got closest to the truth:

I'll start:

Theme/Story: Dark, horror-themed, Ravenloft-inspired. Travel to the Demiplane of Dread or Shadowfell. Who knows, maybe Valindra will make a comeback with new allies - she is still out there, maybe plotting a revenge. Her story was left unfinished, after all.

When: Preview server around May 5th. Release (on PC) anround July 1st.

Other:

1. We will not get a new class.
    2. We will get a fashion outfit that looks like a cross between a Bavarian Octoberfest outfit and a Transylvanian folk dance costume.
    3. We will get some unexpected QoL change that evryone will love, and a "balancing" change that players of at least one class will absolutely hate.
    So, make your guesses...

If I had a legendary mount to bet on you being right about the Ravenloft theme, I would do so confidently at this point. I have done some digging around and there is significant evidence to back your prediction up. Here is a little bit of that evidence:

Most of this game's campaign themes came from the same list. There is only one campaign left on that list that isn't already in the game and it is Ravenloft/Curse of Strahd.

I play d&d at a local board game store once a week and I noticed last week that several Curse of Strahd/Ravenloft campaign books had been added to the shelves. These weren't there 2 weeks ago. When new campiagn books appear on the shelves, they usually match whatever campaign storyline is about to get announced for Neverwinter.

I will attempt to make a few more predictions, most of these are pure guesswork and have less evidence than the module theme itself:

The next lockbox mount will be one of the following:
    A shambling mound
    A catoblepas
    Another wolf type mount of some kind
    Another dark themed horse mount of some kind (less likely)
    Some kind of dark carnival monstrosity

There will be more class balance adjustments in module 14 than the ones that have already been mentioned in stray dev comments.

There will be new artifact gear sets. At least one of which will replace the orcus set as the new dps meta set.

We will have a longer wait for module 14 than we are used to going between module releases. This is because of the devs's decision not to make a module 13B. We will be going straight from module 13 to module 14. This means that module 14 could be less rushed than usual and may include better quality updates or simply more content than we are used to getting.

There will be some more PVP updates. I will also float a much bolder prediction of mine; it relates to an events change that could happen alongside module 14. If NCL ever gets brought back in any form, my prediction is that it will happen this year. The devs mentioned via livestream earlier this year that they planned to make this "a year of events" and said they planed to update the Neverwinter events and add new ones. The veteran PVP community's beloved NCL event originally ran in June when it was a thing. Nitocris also implyed at one point that this year's protector's jubilee would be a bigger deal than normal, the Jubilee also happens to be in June. There have also been numerous posts by PVP players lately on the forums that have requested competition and rewards updates, many of which mentioned the NCL event.

There will be a new high end dungeon and the rewards chest will include ultimate enchanting stones as a possible reward.

There will be a new enchantment rank introduced for weapon/armor enchantments only

There will be a new shadow themed double or triple stat enchantment introduced. Possibly critical strike and recovery
    Post edited by trgluestickz on
    --
    PVP Rogue,
    --[----- "Your friendly neighborhood spawn of Satan." -----]--
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    Main Character: Hurricane Marigolds (Rogue WK & Assassin)
    Ingame Handle: trgluestickz
    Discord Name: Hurricane🌀Marigolds#2563
    Guilds: She Looked LVL 18 & Essence of Aggression
    Alliances: Imperium & Order of the Silent Shroud
    Platform: PC
  • Options
    Is it just me, or is this thread permanently stuck at Apr 16th on the thread list?

Anyway, Ravenloft companion ideas:
    - Werewolf
    - Wereraven
    - Vampire Spawn
    - Pidlwick II (an evil, animated jester doll :smiley: )
    - Vistani something-or-other
    - Mongrelfolk
    - Revenant
    - Flesh Golem

For Mod 15, another bit of circumstantial evidence the next adventure season will be plane-based is that there has been a game running on the official D&D Twitch page for the last couple months called "Trapped in the Birdcage", which takes place in Sigil, the crossroads of the multiverse. It seems a bit off the beaten path for an officially supported game unless there were some related plans in the not-too-distant future.
  • Options
    trgluestickztrgluestickz Member Posts: 1,144 Arc User
    pterias said:

Is it just me, or is this thread permanently stuck at Apr 16th on the thread list

I noticed this too, it isn't just you.
    --
    PVP Rogue,
    --[----- "Your friendly neighborhood spawn of Satan." -----]--
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    Main Character: Hurricane Marigolds (Rogue WK & Assassin)
    Ingame Handle: trgluestickz
    Discord Name: Hurricane🌀Marigolds#2563
    Guilds: She Looked LVL 18 & Essence of Aggression
    Alliances: Imperium & Order of the Silent Shroud
    Platform: PC
  • Options
    neopreenneopreen Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 66 Arc User
    Finally the Devs respect their own and former Devs hardwork and love for the game and implement a
    Dynamic Scaling of all End-Game-Sets.

I´m pretty sad about all the hardwork former Devs and older players already put into the game and that this seems to mean nothing to the progress the game is taking. Why should anyone farm any of the older gear, why should anyone farm in a e.g. MOD 8 region (if its not for boons)?Everyone is looking for BiS gear and it can b found in AH or the latest end-game content. Why not at other places anymore? Well... cuz the sets dont scale.

I loved my Burning Weapons-Set or my Twisted Weapons-Set or other sets (which are already removed).

I cant understand why things are removed from the game cuz every region every former end-game-content had his own end-game-gear with a special bonus and can bring a nice diversity to the actual end-game.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    neopreen said:

I cant understand why things are removed from the game cuz every region every former end-game-content had his own end-game-gear with a special bonus and can bring a nice diversity to the actual end-game.

A brand-new level 70 can now skip lower-ranking gear, like Twisted or the elemental sets, and go straight for the Chultan set or the Pioneer set - even the Primal set in the case of alts of a high-end level 70 player.

There is, as you noted, zero motivation to get lower-ranked gear. Now, have no insider information, but by far the most likely reason for this has to do with alts. The devs wanted to make it easier for people to get multiple characters to "end-game" status.

Why?

Well, that's where the money is. You can easily and cheaply get a character to, say IL 10K or so, but from there the pressure to spend money increases - you want R12+ enchants, purple mounts, a good set of companions and a full set of epic/legendary/mythic gear. Sure, you *can* get that all as a free player, but if you have already done it once, you may not feel that motivated to go through the whole process for the second/third/whatever time.

That's why we have the campaign buyouts and easily accessible gear like the Chultan weapons....it encourages people to play their alts and (indirectly) to spend money on gearing them up.

Anyhow...this is off-topic.
    Post edited by adinosii on
  • Options
    rafaeldarafaelda Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 666 Arc User
    Still think next mod will be linked with Waterdeep,
    (the party in kabal lairs was certain about chult, so i think they will be right about waterdeep)
    Volo will be there (hate him but it cant be avoided)

Mod 14 will be really short and will have a link to planes that will be mod 15 with a level increase to 80 or more...

No new class, that will come only come in mod15...

what i do hope is some new events, or at least revamp on events...