test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

What is with leveling dungeons?

Hey everyone. I haven't been playing long, and I'm just leveling my first character now. Overall I'm having a fun experience playing the game, and would like to continue checking it out, but dungeons have been a real turn off. I'm playing a healer, which I usually have great times with as supporting a party is very rewarding, yet every dungeon I unlock is as unchallenging and fun as running through a barren map. Instead of dynamic team combat, I'm met with more level 70's than anyone remotely within myself or the dungeon's level which only serves to test me on how fast I can run through the instance. I'd really love to appreciate these encounters instead of rushing through them so fast that I'm left barely remembering what went on or where I was.

I'm not trying to denounce the game as terrible, because as I said I'm mostly enjoying it. Why not let 70's join lower level dungeons by themselves and leave them out of the queues of folks who would actually like to experience the game? It just seems like a really bad way to introduce someone to a game, and hopefully it's not telling of things to come for me in later levels. Anyway, thanks for listening, and if someone could offer me an explanation as to why it's set up this way, I'd appreciate it. Bonus points if it's actually someone from the company.

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    quickbeam#6209 quickbeam Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    Thanks. I didn't realize it was such a recent change.
  • Options
    callumf#9018 callumf Member Posts: 1,710 Arc User
    Heh - what @Wintersmoke said other than I think "mixed results" is way too optimistic. The whole thing has been unpleasant for most players either high level moaning about low levels who cant compete, and low levels moaning about having to speed run through new dungeons ruining the experience.

Everyone said it would be a HAMSTER experience and mostly it is
  • Options
    chidionchidion Member Posts: 446 Arc User

Hey everyone. I haven't been playing long, and I'm just leveling my first character now. Overall I'm having a fun experience playing the game, and would like to continue checking it out, but dungeons have been a real turn off. I'm playing a healer, which I usually have great times with as supporting a party is very rewarding, yet every dungeon I unlock is as unchallenging and fun as running through a barren map. Instead of dynamic team combat, I'm met with more level 70's than anyone remotely within myself or the dungeon's level which only serves to test me on how fast I can run through the instance. I'd really love to appreciate these encounters instead of rushing through them so fast that I'm left barely remembering what went on or where I was.

I'm not trying to denounce the game as terrible, because as I said I'm mostly enjoying it. Why not let 70's join lower level dungeons by themselves and leave them out of the queues of folks who would actually like to experience the game? It just seems like a really bad way to introduce someone to a game, and hopefully it's not telling of things to come for me in later levels. Anyway, thanks for listening, and if someone could offer me an explanation as to why it's set up this way, I'd appreciate it. Bonus points if it's actually someone from the company.

I personally don't believe the random dungeons are responsible for player behavior. Just because a player is at a much higher level than the dungeon they find themselves in, that doesn't mean they should run off and leave other members of the party to fend for themselves - just because they can - whether or not they deal with the content's mobs in their passing.

All players have the opportunity to join "queue groups" if they want to play with others at a specific character level or play style - but of course that does take a little more time and effort than just clicking on "join random queue" and for many players they are not willing to invest that extra time and effort.

I believe one of the stated purposes for going to random queue dungeons was to: "Incentivize helping players who are new to a queue to foster a positive environment", of course this tends not to happen when one or more party members abandon other party members...

My advice, run the dungeon in a manner you choose - one that you enjoy and you don't believe inconveniences other players too greatly but if someone takes off and leaves you behind it seems they aren't too concerned about you - so perhaps you shouldn't be too concerned about them when it comes to "inconveniencing" them.

If a player runs ahead and kills everything in their path feel free to enjoy the scenery and hopefully you will be able to run the next dungeon as a "party" and engage in more of the dungeon content on a subsequent run.

If a player runs ahead and doesn’t kill everything in their path you can either choose to engage them, or if you have the ability just try to out run them until you catch up with the other party member(s) (the bad guys usually follow) – then you will have your dynamic team combat, whether the other players want it or not, since the final gate usually cannot be opened until all players are assembled and are out of combat mode.

• Options
    winddancer42winddancer42 Member Posts: 33 Arc User
    Hi there quickbeam, i have a couple of lower level lvl characters and i am having the same same issue as you. I would be happy to run some dungeons with you, due to work and family i don't get as lot of time, but would be happy to run with you
  • Options
    plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,220 Arc User
    This is not a new problem but it is magnified by RQ. Before mod 12b, most people will run tier 1 dungeon for AD. They did not need to go to level dungeon to mess up lower level player. They might use less capable character to go to level dungeon back then. Hence, the same situation did happen.

However, since mod 12b, most people do not want to touch Epic dungeon RQ (they don't want FBI, MSP). They just send the character to level dungeon for the quick AD. If they want to earn AD from dungeon, the game more or less force them to do that.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • Options
    snottysnotty Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 476 Arc User
    this is what happens why you try to force people to play together. Before the recent change and the addition of the random queue system we could just pick any dungeon we wanted to run and run it to earn some AD. You could even use private queue and run the low level and epic dungeons alone to earn AD. This was really good since it stopped me and others from having to help bots earn AD in said low level dungeons or being an inconvenience to low level players since we just want to fly through the dungeons to get our rewards fast so we can go do other stuff.

But the powers that be decided that forcing players to play together and not allowing them to pick which dungeons they want to run to earn AD would be a good thing and everyone would merrily get along.. must be wonderful to live in such a dream world.

Instead the random queue has become a source of dread for most players.
    Will I get a dungeon I absolutely hate running.. again?
    Will I get IG and be held hostage while the rest of the team decides to go for gold.. again?
    Will my requirement meeting but obviously under geared character get FBI with other requirement meeting but obviously under geared players... again?
    Will I have to waste my time either repeatedly failing a dungeon because the team refuses to give up or waste my time by abandoning it and getting a leaver penalty.. again?

So you see, the random queue system is an inconvenience to us all regardless of level.
  • Options
    wintersmokewintersmoke Member Posts: 1,641 Arc User

Why not let 70's join lower level dungeons by themselves and leave them out of the queues of folks who would actually like to experience the game?

I would love this as I never want to see another low level ever again...
    chidion said:

I believe one of the stated purposes for going to random queue dungeons was to: "Incentivize helping players who are new to a queue to foster a positive environment", of course this tends not to happen when one or more party members abandon other party members...

On this point of "incentives", the paltry AD award for the massive inconvenience was never going to play out well. A bribe that low to babysit new and/or terrible players is just an insult.
    chidion said:

My advice, run the dungeon in a manner you choose - one that you enjoy and you don't believe inconveniences other players too greatly but if someone takes off and leaves you behind it seems they aren't too concerned about you - so perhaps you shouldn't be too concerned about them when it comes to "inconveniencing" them.

And for other players reading this, remember that players "inconveniencing" you is a great time to for you to use the kick system.
    If you don't think newbie-sitting is worth the AD, you could always run campaign weeklies instead.

• Options
    greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,093 Arc User

If you don't think newbie-sitting is worth the AD, you could always run campaign weeklies instead.

Because weeklies are weekly and random runs are daily.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • Options
    Only way it was effective is if you soloed your AD runs.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • Options

Weeklies are poor for AD/hour.

Most of my alts are just under 8k item level and are well above the average item level for normal dungeons but not fast enough to make doing dailies for the AD cost effective.

It has not really been mentioned but the old system acted as a natural filter for scummy players. They needed to be high enough level to get into spider and you kick the obvious bots and low item level's, and other freeloaders, with relative ease.

Old system was effective vs scummy characters.

Weeklies are not poor for AD/hour. It is great for AD/hour.
    Of course, it depends on which weeklies.
    I only run 4 AD weeklies for my characters these days.

Dread Ring weeky: 3 minutes
    Sharanader: 5 minutes
    Portal: 5 minutes
    Baphomet: 5 minutes

Each give 6750 AD (4500 + 50% AD bonus).
    Solo: no need to wait for queue. No need to wait for people to go to the circle. No need to use the best gear.

*** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • Options
    jumpingmorksjumpingmorks Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 876 Arc User
    Weeklies are nice for AD and campaign currency, which you can turn in for Guild Marks, but running daily Dread Ring Lairs and making vouchers with the Dread Ring Campaign page seems to be the best way to make Guild Marks for me. The return from Campaign Currency is a bit naff, even if you are running weeklies on 10 characters and cashing in every 2xGM weekends.

I stopped running Levelling dungeons, I don't care how good the AD is, I've been called an HAMSTER for killing everything and an HAMSTER for running with pugs and letting them use their powers.

Even when I killed everything, I always stopped at each door and let them activate it, if there was another high level 70 in the group that was pointless so I would just keep an eye on the pug lagging behind just in case they needed help, but mini boss seals took priority, those I used to buy R5's, once I had those seals I could be more protective.

But pugs HAMSTER any way you play and I'm not a bloody mind reader, so HAMSTER them and HAMSTER the stupid system that gave me grief, I don't boot this game up just to get griefed.
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Good choice, if you don't like random dungeons, if you don't think you are being treated fairly in random dungeons it probably will be less aggravating for you to just not queue for random dungeons...

It sure beats queuing for a random dungeon, then complaining about it, then going back to queue for another random dungeon only to repeat the process as far as I'm concerned, very commendable.

• Options
    Why should the leveling dungeons be solely for the level 70 characters?
  • Options
    Get rid of RQ. Go back to what it was. All the problems solve.
  • Options
    jumpingmorksjumpingmorks Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 876 Arc User
    If you remove the under 70's from RND's you need to remove the AD reward for level 70 players, if you remove the AD reward, no level 70 will run them, conclusion, noone will choose/be able to run levelling dungeons.

I quite like RQ Skirmishes but it still needs tweaking, the ugly band aid you have currently of removing Chult Skirmish just seems amateurish, am not saying that is the only tweak that queue needs but it is most definitely the one I think of most, unfortunately, it will also be the hardest, so am not expecting any fix until the Skirmsih environment itself changes to the extent where that fix is needed becomes considerably easier.

I think I made my opinion clear on Random Levelling Dungeons, I don't need to repeat myself.

RED should never have MSP and FBI in it, I know they've been power creeped to pre-nerf CN levels but if someone thinks a PUG eToS ready group or even a post-nerf CN PUG group can queue for either of those and complete them, let alone complete them in a reasonable time, reasonable being 1 hour in my opinion then they are smoking something.

Lastly, if you have ever complained about how bad PUGs can be whether it's on this forum or complained about in your guild/alliance/private channels even if it was just to give the impression you can play better than you are able I hope you will spare me your stories of that one time you PUGged FBI and did it in 20 minutes.

And by stories and not story I mean that "one time story" themes and variations of such stories AND you have complained about the uselesness of PUGs in general in whatever capacity.

If you are a PUG lover, pls feel free to spread the PUG love / PUG life.

Video just for PUG lovers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSuHrTfcikU
  • Options
    edited January 2018

greywynd said:

Answer: it would remove a lot of the existing problems with scummy players as an exceptionally large percentage of characters under level 70 are problem players.

Those dungeon are designed for the players who are lower than 70 in terms of difficulty and minimum requirement. Hence, the solution should be: no level 70 should be allowed to go to those dungeon to earn AD and it should open up "new" dungeon that can only enter as level 70 to earn AD. Level 70 players have no business in those low level dungeons except helping low level players willingly. AD should be earned in the proper level of difficulties in level 70 dungeons only.
  • Options
    lordnagy#1603 lordnagy Member Posts: 177 Arc User
    > @spunkmeier said:
    > Why should the leveling dungeons be solely for the level 70 characters?
    >
    > Just to clear something up for you, there is no such thing as "levelling dungeons". The correct term in game is "random dungeon" and this often has normal placed before or in the middle it to differentiate it fully from "random epic dungeon".

Don’t you HAVE to complete Cloak Tower to get to another level of the game? Same holds true for most of those T1 dungeons, hence they are called leveling dungeons.
  • Options
    In addition, the term "leveling" is used by the Dev.

e.g. from Dev's statement regarding RQ.

Random Queues for Leveling Up
    On to the last question! ‘How are leveling queues affected?’ Both Random: Skirmish and Random: Dungeon will be available for players below level 70. There are currently some rather poorly messaged experience bonuses at the end of leveling dungeons. Those XP bonuses have been moved into the random queue system.

Now, when a player completes a random skirmish or dungeon below level 70, instead of seals they will receive a large amount of XP. The XP will be clearly displayed in the random queue window. Overall the amount of experience points earned from dungeons and skirmishes has significantly risen as a result of these changes, especially for those players in the level 60-69 range.

I mentioned earlier that a player must be eligible for all of the queues in a random queue, however, there is in fact one exception: level. If a player is ineligible to queue for a certain queue in the random queue because they are too low level, they will still be able to queue. Basically, this means that even if you are level 30 and only have access to a limited subset of the dungeons in Random: Dungeon you will still be able to queue for a random dungeon.
  • Options
    edited January 2018

chidion said:

Good choice, if you don't like random dungeons, if you don't think you are being treated fairly in random dungeons it probably will be less aggravating for you to just not queue for random dungeons...

It sure beats queuing for a random dungeon, then complaining about it, then going back to queue for another random dungeon only to repeat the process as far as I'm concerned, very commendable.

Easier just to remove all the players below level 70 from dungeons completely. This would also make a lot more players happy.

edit: And it is really sad that you think this guys bad experience with low level players is something he should just accept, and that he should leave dungeons completely instead of wanting his experience made better.
    Remove players who are actually leveling from "leveling dungeons" and allow players who are no longer leveling to run leveling dungeons... really?

This says so much more about the thought processes for some higher level players than anything I could have posted – as does this comment…

greywynd said:

Answer: it would remove a lot of the existing problems with scummy players as an exceptionally large percentage of characters under level 70 are problem players.

Problem for whom exactly… higher level and level 70 players who are only in the those leveling dungeons for quick and easy astral diamonds instead of to actually run, enjoy and experience the content?

As for there being "no such thing as leveling dungeons" that doesn't appear to be a factual statement.

A lot of dungeons are required for level players to complete their quests trees... The Cloak Tower for instance is mandatory for completing the quest path Tower District Deed which awards the player one Symbol of Savaras and a Beginner’s Craftsman set. The Gray Wolf Den is required to complete the Vellosk Deed quest path which rewards the player with a Flawless Sapphire and two Symbols of Savaras. The Pirate King’s Retreat is mandatory to complete the Pirate’s of Skyhold Deed which rewards the player with another two Symbols of Savaras and a Lesser Power Armor kit…. And there are many more examples available in the quest log.

And not to put too fine a point on it but “Official Neverwinter Wiki” it lists: The Cloak Tower, Cragmire Crypts, the Gray Wolf Den, the Pirate King’s Retreat, the Frozen Heart. Spellplague Caverns, The Temple of the Spider, and the Caverns of Karrundax all as “leveling dungeons”…

“To enter a dungeon you must use the queue system. Leveling dungeons require 3 players and Epic dungeons require 5 players. All dungeons have a minimum level required, and epic dungeons have an item level requirement. Epic dungeons require 1 Tank, 1 Healer, and 3 DPS characters to queue if you join a public queue, private queues bypass this restriction.”
    https://neverwinter.gamepedia.com/Dungeon

Face facts, random dungeons are “leveling dungeons”, just because the developers decided to put a random feature on them instead of allowing people to pick and choose which dungeons they want to run does not change their designations.

Yes all of that content and those quest trees can be ignored and a player will still level up, but each one of those quests are required for any player attempting to play the content in the manner it was designed and complete their lists of quests on the quest trees, instead of just running content primarily for astral diamonds.

Post edited by chidion on
  • Options
    dafrca#4810 dafrca Member Posts: 469 Arc User

Just to clear something up for you, there is no such thing as "levelling dungeons". The correct term in game is "random dungeon" and this often has normal placed before or in the middle it to differentiate it fully from "random epic dungeon".

As others have already corrected you on the leveling being the term even the developers use I will move to the other item. Random Queue is how you select a dungeon that will give you AD. It is not the dungeons themselves. Thus there are two Random Queues. Leveling Dungeons and Epic Dungeons.

Hence, the solution should be: no level 70 should be allowed to go to those dungeon to earn AD and it should open up "new" dungeon that can only enter as level 70 to earn AD. Level 70 players have no business in those low level dungeons except helping low level players willingly. AD should be earned in the proper level of difficulties in level 70 dungeons only.

They already have dungeons that are for 70+ only, they are called epic dungeons. But because of how Cryptic has elected to do the epic dungeon queue you have folks who are 70th level that can't queue for the epic dungeons and if you block them from the leveling dungeons then they will not be able to queue at all.

That is why the one solution suggested over and over is to split the epic dungeons queue into one for the T1-2 and one for the T3 epic dungeons. This would at least allow more 70+ characters to use the epic queues.

• Options

Don’t you HAVE to complete Cloak Tower to get to another level of the game? Same holds true for most of those T1 dungeons, hence they are called leveling dungeons.

No. None of the dungeons are mandatory for progress.
  • Options
    1) Primary purpose was so that the queues pop in a timely manner. ALL queues.

2) Higher level characters should assist (slow the HAMSTER down) to help the levelers. Not bulldoze through the content and have the levelers pick up the drops.

3) Don't be a HAMSTER.