test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Official Feedback Thread: Bonding Runestone Changes

Comments

• tripsofthrymrtripsofthrymr Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,624 Community Moderator
    edited August 2017

If your mobs are getting killed too fast, there's a simple solution: Boost the mobs.

If your Bonding stones are outperforming your Eldritch runestones, and you don't like that, for some reason (despite it opening far more pets than having everyone rely on Augments does), then boost the Eldritch stones. No need to nerf the Bonding Stones.

Bondings far outperform everything else (I have them, I know first-hand). The design choices are to adjust bondings or to adjust everything else in the game.

Power is relative. Increasing mob defense and eldritch performance is the same thing as decreasing bonding performance.

Bringing bonding into the same general realm as other options increases player choice and can only benefit the game.

it's like a young DM playing D&D for the first time, who magics away the Paladin's +5 Holy Avenger out of jealously, because he thinks its his job to "beat" the player, rather than make sure everyone has a good time.

A good DM doesn't hand out a +5 Holy Avenger in the first place if the rest of the party has +1 Daggers, yet that's what happened when bondings went from being a trade-off to being the best choice under all circumstances. In a pen & paper game, it's easy enough for a DM to recover by letting the other party members find nice weapons of their own and toughening up the opposition. In a MMO, it's far more work and risk to rebalance everything around that one +5 Holy Avenger.

Caritas Guild Founder (Greycloak Alliance)

Sci-fi author: The Gods We Make, The Gods We Seek, and Ji-min
  • meiramimeirami Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 423 Arc User
    @noworries

If you go through with this, there is only one companion that is Best-in-Slot and it's the Bulette Pup because all other augments have at least one offensive slot. To get the maximum stats, a player needs the 100% from an augment plus the combined 76.5% from three Eldritch Runestones... which is more than the average stat boost of 97.5% from the bonding runestones because of the halved duration. Please, consider this through. Do we really have to go back to a system where only one choice is the best one?
  • senseiwasdsenseiwasd Member Posts: 60 Arc User
    edited August 2017

Power is relative. Increasing mob defense and eldritch performance is the same thing as decreasing bonding performance.

No, it's not - the key difference being that an NPC doesn't care when you buff or nerf it.

Players might gripe a bit about stronger monsters, but they will gripe a whole lot more about a strategy they've spent hundreds of dollars on and have been using for years is eliminated. Among human beings, if not Mobs, there is a world of difference between opening a new opportunity, and taking away something they already have.

...I mean, unless you're going to give everyone with Rank 12 Bonding Stones and Legendary pets, a free Legendary Bullet Cub and three Rank 14 Eldritch runestones...

And there's no need for this - it's not like there's a whole lotta Augment pets on the market that are being ignored (there's, what, 12 of em, vs. the hundreds of other Companions?), or as if people are just cruising through Temple of the Nine Gods like it was nothing.

...and even if that was the case - who does it harm? This angers everyone, and helps no one.
  • delux247#3274 delux247 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    If you think your customer like to pay money to have gaming company to slap them in the face and HAMSTER them over. You couldn't be more wrong. Those are NOT your player base. The above mentioned people only play Ubisoft games and the 2 dozens of them are still playing the Division.
  • meiramimeirami Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 423 Arc User
    With these changes, Bonding Runestones won't even be good for a stat boost compared to other runestones of the same level and an augment provides overall more stats than three bondings since at least those stats are up 100% of the time. I don't know if I should laugh or cry.
  • frozenfirevrfrozenfirevr Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,475 Community Moderator
    Don't forget that you'd be using Eldritch stones with augments... So that's another 25% each...

Ain't even funny...
    FrozenFire
  • mentinmindmakermentinmindmaker Member Posts: 1,490 Arc User
    I think it worth considering the total game player combat power situation.

They are giving us a fair bit of more combat power from the r14's. So even if the bondings are nerfed the total change in player combat power might not be negative but could even be positive.

Of course we will have to work to grow into that combat power, but that is the nature of mmorpg's.

It is unlikely they would have given us the r14's without the bondings nerf, that would make the players way too powerful versus the content.

With this change we'll have to chose between bursty boost from bondings, and somewhat lower but reliable boost from augments, with both more or less at same total value.

• tristanusstristanuss Member Posts: 73 Arc User
    Thnx god i keeped the legendary owlbear i got from a lockbox.

Im using it till i droped and didnt brought any bonding... i was thinking about changing it.. no more :D
  • demonmongerdemonmonger Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,350 Arc User
    > @caspur33 said:
    > Wow. what a horrible idea.
    >
    > So your taking us to half the duration AND reduced stats AND harder content. I really don't mind the reduced stats but to give us reduced stats and only 50% up-time is just really a slap in the face. We spent a ton of AD on something that noone's going to want to use anymore. Also we have to spend a ton of more AD to get them to 14 and they're going to be worse than they are now? Or switch to something different that completely needs upgraded? It really and truly does look like Cryptic is doing nothing more than trying to get more money. Not to mention that dungeons are going to take longer and drops are still basically in the toilet. So now it's going to take longer to run FBI and all we're going to get is a peridot?
    >
    > The hatred for this is radiating from here and Reddit. At least 90% of all posts are about how angry the player base is with this change. I wonder if all of the players actually hating this idea will have any effect on whether it happens or not. I doubt if from the past experience with the Coal wards on Xbox.

This is how I felt after investing in 3 regeneration artifacts mythic just for regeneration tof not work in combat anymore.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I hate paying taxes! Why must I pay thousands of dollars in taxes when everything I buy is taxed anyways!
  • demonmongerdemonmonger Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,350 Arc User
    > @meirami said:
    > With these changes, Bonding Runestones won't even be good for a stat boost compared to other runestones of the same level and an augment provides overall more stats than three bondings since at least those stats are up 100% of the time. I don't know if I should laugh or cry.

I hate to say.. I told you so....

Wait until you see the other changes coming.. I would say but euls prevents it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I hate paying taxes! Why must I pay thousands of dollars in taxes when everything I buy is taxed anyways!
  • pteriaspterias Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 661 Arc User
    edited August 2017
    Come on guys, seriously, this bonding nerf is WAY overboard. You've nerfed r12s by 3/4ths and ranking them up to r14 would just put us back up to 1/3rd of where we are now.

Do you want another keygate? Cause this is how you get another keygate.
  • malignantmind#3340 malignantmind Member Posts: 73 Arc User
    So are you guys gonna also give me back the 1.2 million ad I just spent to get bondings on two of my characters right before this was announced? I literally spent weeks of farming to get the ad for that, and now they're gonna be useless.
  • mentinmindmakermentinmindmaker Member Posts: 1,490 Arc User
    galopikus said:

Does the change to bondings mean you’re going to rebalance the Tier 3 and Tier 4 dungeons? Because as it stands the level of difficulty of the dungeons are balanced with the stat boost of the bondings. If the bondings stat boost was to be brought down to 195% instead of 285% it would still be functional, but by cutting the bonding’s uptime in half it means the whole difficulty of the new dungeons need to be readjusted down to a Tier 2 level.

Se my comment earlier in the thread. We are getting a nice power boost from the r14's, so in the end the change in player combat power might even be positive.

We'll have to put in a lot of work/money to grow into that power though.
  • wintersmokewintersmoke Member Posts: 1,641 Arc User
    drisszt said:

This change will crush the average players ability to run end game dungeons quite drastically. I see another Colgate exodus in the making.

I joined the game shortly before that event... I have played all this time & the only bonding stone I have is the one that dropped during the temporary chest buff. I'm not going anywhere.
  • peregr1nusperegr1nus Member Posts: 160 Arc User
    So Ive been away from the game for 2 days and all I return to is that i just lost few milions AD because bonding will be made obsolete?!
    I really dont get the logic here... everytime something si nerfed or buffed its either made obsolete or overpowered, there is no reasonable balance in anything!
  • strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 1,798 Arc User
    meirami said:

@noworries

If you go through with this, there is only one companion that is Best-in-Slot and it's the Bulette Pup because all other augments have at least one offensive slot. To get the maximum stats, a player needs the 100% from an augment plus the combined 76.5% from three Eldritch Runestones... which is more than the average stat boost of 97.5% from the bonding runestones because of the halved duration. Please, consider this through. Do we really have to go back to a system where only one choice is the best one?

A Rank 12 Eldritch currently only provides a 12% Augmentation Boost if loaded in Defense slot. You also don't get a +840 buff and only a +700 if loaded in Offence but then you loose the Augmentation.
  • wickedduck22#9795 wickedduck22 Member Posts: 100 Arc User
    Or you can just save time make 2 different tiers of each dungeon one for players near the limit and a different tier for BiS/near BiS players.