test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

New to Neverwinter

tenbuxtenbux Member Posts: 3 Arc User
How does Neverwinter compare to PWI? PWI is basically whoever cashes wins the game.. I dont want a game like that.. If anyone can give me advice on this game that would be awesome

Comments

• asterfarwell#5559 asterfarwell Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    If you choose to play this game, don't spend ANY money. If at any point you feel like spending money...don't.
  • tenbuxtenbux Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    So you have to spend money to win at this game too?
  • micky1p00micky1p00 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,594 Arc User
    tenbux said:

So you have to spend money to win at this game too?

win what exactly ?
  • tenbuxtenbux Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    Well like in PVP and PVE you had to spend a ton on money to be good in the game.. So basically if you paid real money to play the game you "won"
  • micky1p00micky1p00 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,594 Arc User
    tenbux said:

Well like in PVP and PVE you had to spend a ton on money to be good in the game.. So basically if you paid real money to play the game you "won"

No you don't have to, you can farm anything and everything. But feel free to support the game devs and the server hamster, they too want to eat sometime.
  • samaka#2511 samaka Member Posts: 568 Arc User
    Everything in this game can be paid for with time instead of money. Zen, the currency bought with real-life money, can be directly converted to and from Astral Diamonds, the in-game currency.

You really only need to spend money if you want to get Astral Diamonds and/or Zen faster, and therefore packs or other in-game items faster than earning the AD in-game and converting into Zen to buy things.

Even VIP can be purchased by converting Astral Diamonds into Zen. Twice a year Cryptic usually has massive 40-50% off sales on the Zen market, so many people save up over 6 months for these specific sales; the Protector's Jubilee in the summer, and Black Friday and Cyber Monday in the fall.

So, no, you do not need to purchase Zen in order to play Neverwinter, you can earn everything in-game, however, this will take time. Those who do not wish to spend time instead spend money! :)
    @samaka#2511
  • mentinmindmakermentinmindmaker Member Posts: 1,492 Arc User
    NW basically is pay-to-accelerate.

With a few exceptions you get all you need from play or from the AH. The few things you need to buy with Zen(character slots, account wide mount) you fund through the Zen-to-AD Exchange(ZAX).

So it is very doable to play NW without spending any money on it.

The only thing I find hard with playing NW F2P is to be at the very front gear-wise. Each time something changes so the BiS setup changes, I need to save up AD to buy the usually expensive new stuff. So I'll usually get the hottest stuff a bit later than the wallet warriors. I usually don't keep funds in reserve for that ;)
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited July 2017
    I've played PWI and FW, quite extensively. Cryptic's Games (NW, STO, and CO) are nothing like other PWE Games. You may experience the entire storyline without spending any real money. Zen is the "cash" currency. You can earn Free Zen just by using the ARC App (those daily quest things) to earn ARC points then cash those in for Zen in Neverwinter. You can earn Astral Diamonds in the game through normal gameplay or by selling things on the Auction House, which you can then in turn trade with players through the Astral Diamond Exchange for Zen.

You can then spend that free earned Zen on whatever you like in the game. Even then, you don't need to buy anything in the game at all with Zen to be able to experience the PvE / Storyline of the game. The same could arguably be said for PvP but with PvP comes a competition mindset, one where some players tend to feel that they have to be the best and to prove it, they spend a ton of real money to be the best.

I've dropped quite a bit into the game ever since it went live but I also have went many months without spending a single dime. I don't buy things to make me better though, I usually only buy fluff things, like cosmetics, account perks, mounts, companions, and so on. Lately, I earn all my Zen through the ARC Point system and the Astral Diamond Exchange.

The choice is yours on how you want to play. Spend as much or as little as you like. It's free to download and play, so the best thing to do is try it out and decide for oneself. Indeed.
    Post edited by zebular on
  • zomak#4611 zomak Member Posts: 223 Arc User
    edited July 2017
    I've played for almost a year and haven't spent a dime of real money yet. My character has reached a point where I feel like I at least contribute and carry my own weight in any PVE content. For most content I can even carry and make up the deficiencies of newer/weaker characters. I'm still a ways from being the best with best in slot gear however I will get there eventually even if I continue to play without spending money.

That said I've often times put more time into this game than I should and am admittedly not a casual player. Basically it's set up so you have 2 ways to progress your character either spend a lot of time playing or spend money and still spend a lot of time playing but much less than if you didn't spend money to reach the same point.

Once I land myself one of those engineering internships I probably will drop some real money. But I'll be doing it to support the game, the devs, and the servers more than to progress my character(though that will be a nice bonus)
  • muminekm#3459 muminekm Member Posts: 248 Arc User
    edited July 2017
    I also played PWI before (quite a lot). It doesn't even compare. PWI left me exhausted (105 lvl..x3..primordial..much stuff going) and NW was fresh experience for me. To get best armor in PWI you had to either spend 4k $ or spend months upon months on farming. Here you can get close to BiS armor in weeks or less (same with weapon). You don't have to spend money at all and farm everything in reasonable rate. There is a lot of stuff which is best and you cannot buy it using money too (but you need a lot of luck..or runs.. like legendary rings etc).
  • arcanjo86arcanjo86 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,093 Arc User
    also make sure you havelots of toons, on single toon to begin with u cant get much, dc gf an dop class are the most needed in game, because majority is dps player, and with these classses u get more oportunities for dungeon/salvage farms