test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[PC] Updated System Requirements Implementation

nitocris83nitocris83 Member, Cryptic Developer, Administrator Posts: 4,495 Cryptic Developer
edited March 2017 in News & Announcements
Adventurers,

As we announced in December, starting Thursday, March 2nd, 2017 (after maintenance) Neverwinter will no longer be supporting Windows XP and Direct3D9, or Video Cards with a Direct3D Hardware Feature Level less than 10.0. Since the announcement, we have been following up on player’s concerns and feedback and we feel the impact on the playerbase should be minimal.

If your system meets the requirements but you are still experiencing issues when using D3D11, please contact support -referencing this post- and provide the following information:

• System Info (OS, D3D Version, graphic card)
• Gameprefs.Pref file (Can be found in Neverwinter\localdata on your computer)
• Dxdiag (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/instantanswers/b319762b-f281-41b4-b746-d14de804b246/open-and-run-dxdiag-exe)
• Description of what you are experiencing

Please note that submitting this information to CS will allow us to best gather the necessary data regarding any new issues and is not meant to be for direct troubleshooting support.

As a reminder, Neverwinter has never officially supported Mac or Wine. While some players have found ways to use these OS and applications for Neverwinter, after Thursday’s update this will no longer be possible.
Post edited by nitocris83 on

Comments

• kalina311kalina311 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,082 Arc User
    edited March 2017
    good move so you guys no longer have to drain resources to support peoples stone age video cards
    even a cheap 40$ card will run this game which is good... now maybe there will be less false lag complaints as well due to peoples poor video cards
  • hmdq#4491 hmdq Member Posts: 508 Arc User
    This game drains much more CPU than GPU, improve the engine before punishing more users. Or soon the game no longer support i5 or i7 and with much lag! Rofl
  • karakla1karakla1 Member Posts: 1,355 Arc User
    edited March 2017
    We are talking about an OS that is not support from Microsoft since 2014 and Graphic Cards that are far older than 5 years.
    plat.png
    Platypus wielding a giant hammer, your argument is invalild!
    edited March 2017
    hquadros said:

This game drains much more CPU than GPU, improve the engine before punishing more users. Or soon the game no longer support i5 or i7 and with much lag! Rofl

The drain I am referring to is on the game and cryptics tech support staff for old direct x 9 issues and old Oses
    and on having to program deploy staff and resources and test every mod for those old video settings
    just like foundry,gateway and PVP boom get rid of them sweep problem under rug staff resources saved ..

and you are wrong the game DOES drains your Gpu too / overheats it at full max settings
    video code is not even optimised in direct X 11 still
    Post edited by kalina311 on
  • unthoughtknownunthoughtknown Member Posts: 130 Arc User
    running Directx12 but still says Direct3D9 on radeon 480 video card - wtf!
  • urabaskurabask Member Posts: 2,923 Arc User
    edited March 2017

Because they don't have DX12 implemented.
    kalina311 said:

hquadros said:

The drain I am referring to is on the game and cryptics tech support staff for old direct x 9 issues and old Oses
    and on having to program deploy staff and resources and test every mod for those old video settings
    just like foundry,gateway and PVP boom get rid of them sweep problem under rug staff resources saved ..

and you are wrong the game DOES drains your Gpu too / overheats it at full max settings
    If your GPU is overheating with this game you've got problems with your PC. He isn't really wrong either, Neverwinter (and any MMO in general) is CPU bound. Although most of the improvements they should make have more to do with having large numbers of users in a single instance.
    Post edited by urabask on
    I8r4ux9.jpg
  • lordseth1985lordseth1985 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 319 Arc User
    Man, that's just HAMSTER. I play new gen games like the witcher 3, the division, for honor and others on my "stone age pc" and never got lag issues. This is the only game I have lag issues, and the devs just want to increase it's requirements? well, time to play it on medium or minimum settings then.
    Avestruz.Q.T.Seduz - Rogue, natural born assassin.

Man, that's just HAMSTER. I play new gen games like the witcher 3, the division, for honor and others on my "stone age pc" and never got lag issues. This is the only game I have lag issues, and the devs just want to increase it's requirements? well, time to play it on medium or minimum settings then.

Erm The Division only has DX11 and DX12 as options so this really shouldn't be a problem even.
    I8r4ux9.jpg
  • demonmongerdemonmonger Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,350 Arc User
    I'm using an experimental graphine processor computer... the cpu never heats up more than 72 degrees.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I hate paying taxes! Why must I pay thousands of dollars in taxes when everything I buy is taxed anyways!
  • wickedduck22#9795 wickedduck22 Member Posts: 100 Arc User
    Great I have a gtx 760 and it still pops up the message that it requires a gpu that can run dx10 or higher.
    edited March 2017
    urabask said:

kalina311 said:

hquadros said:

If your GPU is overheating with this game you've got problems with your PC. He isn't really wrong either, Neverwinter (and any MMO in general) is CPU bound. Although most of the improvements they should make have more to do with having large numbers of users in a single instance.
    I did not say I was over heating ....i said causes it The GPU to create more heat due to poor coding and in the case of people that have temperatures issue /fan issues makes the game more likely to crash or forces them to lower settings for stability

In a full raid with 10 people and max settings on and max res dont tell me the game does not tax the video card
    there is even a setting in the menu to slowdown the video card on purpose for overheating or to limit frames
    edited March 2017
    urabask said:

kalina311 said:

hquadros said:

I did not say i am over heating ...
    there is a setting in the game to slowdown the video card or limit frame rates on purpose
    dont tell me a full raid with 10 people and max video settings does not tax the GPU
    people with poor fans and air flow are more likely to crash playing optimised video code that is overheating the card
    (making it run more then it should)

point im saying is the video code needs to be optimised better

i will bet a greater % of you graphic process is used playing this game then your cpu providing you are on full detail
    if not this is a moot discussion

P.S you were the guy that tried to tell me that tenacity was not working for me lol
  • hmdq#4491 hmdq Member Posts: 508 Arc User
    @kalina311 with a gtx 1070 and DX11 all max game engine the GPU never reach 35%-40% with a optimistic view and a lot very lot of lag with btw 70%-80% of CPU use...my point is...before "hurt" players why not improve the core engine (update) or implement better servers?
    ya 30-40% on one of the best video cards there is on an average one it will be way higher ....
    also if physics debit particles are set way high it will suck up cpu as well
    they are improving the core engine by no longer programming for low end systems lol
    edited March 2017
    you can just pick safe mode in the launcher options and then pick what you want when you log in
  • hoperubyhoperuby Member Posts: 41 Arc User
    and here i am, unable to play, with windows 7 and direct x 11, because of that update. Anyone knows how to disable the /d3d9ex command and enable the /d3d11 command lines from outside the game?

I have an AMD graphic card, so to play optimally i had to activate the /d3d9ex command line. now, due to it being active as soon as i start the game, i cant even open the game from the launcher. i can open the game from the files with the .exe file (running as admin) yet cant log unto any account
  • micky1p00micky1p00 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,594 Arc User
    hoperuby said:

and here i am, unable to play, with windows 7 and direct x 11, because of that update. Anyone knows how to disable the /d3d9ex command and enable the /d3d11 command lines from outside the game?

I have an AMD graphic card, so to play optimally i had to activate the /d3d9ex command line. now, due to it being active as soon as i start the game, i cant even open the game from the launcher. i can open the game from the files with the .exe file (running as admin) yet cant log unto any account

You must have added it to the command line options at the launcher, if it's the original one non arc, go to options, at the bottom there is "Command Line", clear it out.
    You can also reset the ingame options by renaming or deleting the "gameprefs.pref" file from
    "NeverWinter\Neverwinter\Live\localdata" dir.
    Make sure to remove the correct live one.
  • hoperubyhoperuby Member Posts: 41 Arc User
    Doesnt work Janne. guess I'll have to reinstall, if i manage to uninstall neverwinter, cant find it in my programs
  • badman244badman244 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    Since the directx 11 change i am freezing every 15 mins or so this keeps happening sometimes in a dungeon it will crash and i can not get the chest all my settings are set on low
  • sekatooorsekatooor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7 Arc User
    Guys i read alot - dx9 is old - it is good to not support it any more, but tbh i use linux and i dont stop using it because of one game. Sadly linux cant run windows applications with newer directX then 9, and i dont have very old video card, i just dont use windows any more, and there is many such players as me. More and More people stop using shitwindows because it is not usable anymore, just write in google never winter linux wine and see yourself how many people play like me...
  • claruilclaruil Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited March 2017
    I always played smoothly with an i5, 8M ram, Windows7 ... GeForce9800GT...
    After the update, my maps have no more sea, does not show the brilliant way of the quests, nor the glitters to interact with items.

I can't play now!!! aaaaargh!!!! ¬¬

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/282334508127092736/287082688018644992/unknown.png

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Anenfel Clarhuil - TR - Guardiões do Véu Guild
  • ghoulz66ghoulz66 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,748 Arc User
    What's this change supposed to do? Make the naughty lag go away?
  • jumpingmorksjumpingmorks Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 876 Arc User
    edited March 2017
    Specs.
    8GB Ram.
    2GB dedicated Gram.
    710m GeForce (almost the lowest card bar one in the series).
    i7 Dual Core with Ivybridge (no idea what that is but some folks seem to think it's important).

My Hard Drive has been crashing over the last few weeks and last week it crashed a final time. I managed to scrounge up an old 90gb SSD I had lying around and installed the latest Ubuntu 16.04.

It took me several days but I finally managed to get Playonlinux working with Neverwinter. However though my original setup could run Neverwinter fine, it struggles even at minimum settings when running Neverwinter right now but to be honest, considering the extra work it has to do I guess I should have expected that.

For anyone running Wine here are a couple of useful pages I found I found while trying to get my nVidia card to work.

A basic guide:
    http://www.binarytides.com/install-nvidia-drivers-ubuntu-14-04/

My system would not install the *needed* nvidia drivers without corrupting both them and my desktop in the process.I found this next post very helpful however:

https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2342538

Even then I still had problems. In the end I had to boot outside Ubuntu Desktop by holding the SHIFT key and booting to command prompt with network support and installing them manually. After that everything worked fine.

For me it was absolutely crucial I had a working Nvidia -Settings program to override the games settings. I needed to reduce the quality and focus on enhancing the performance.

Playonlinux:
    You don't have to go to extreme lengths to install IE8 downloading Neverwinter and then installing from Playonlinux. Playonlinux has a setup you can search for Neverwinter, just search for Neverwinter and install.

Do NOT launch Neverwinter immediately, close it's launcher and allow Playonlinux to finish. Once it is done launch Neverwinter and it will probably automatically ask to install what the game needs to continue. The reason you do not patch and launch Neverwinter during the install is because you will spend hours patching, then playing presumably, then when you are done and close, Playonlinux will finish the install and you'll be forced to patch again once you restart.

Next I found this post very useful:
    http://www.gamersonlinux.com/forum/threads/neverwinter-free-mmo-guide.170/

Wine version 1.7.40 will no longer be an option however you can download and use later versions which, for me was Wine 2.1.Staging (neither 2.0 or 2.1 Stable was enough).

Also, in Wine Config, don't forget to change the OS from Default/XP to Windows 7.

Am sorry this mini guide covers only nvidia but it does prove that even a minimal level PC can still run the game. However in my case, whereas running Neverwinter, albeit at reduced graphics on PC, ran fine, the struggle at running it through an emulator on Linux makes running dungeons very difficult.

Good luck to Wine users still running Neverwinter.

sekatooor said:

Guys i read alot - dx9 is old - it is good to not support it any more, but tbh i use linux and i dont stop using it because of one game. Sadly linux cant run windows applications with newer directX then 9, and i dont have very old video card, i just dont use windows any more, and there is many such players as me. More and More people stop using shitwindows because it is not usable anymore, just write in google never winter linux wine and see yourself how many people play like me...

Wine 1.7.40 will no longer work but Neverwinter will work for later versions, for me that version was 2.1.staging. If you are using Playonlinux, it's easy to change.

• cjeitor#2182 cjeitor Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    My computer supports the new specs but now my character dies easier because lag is permanent even in low resolution. Now i'm thinking in find new hobbies, like painting or sculpting :-( ... or buy a new super laptop to get opt requeriments
    hoperuby said:

Doesnt work Janne. guess I'll have to reinstall, if i manage to uninstall neverwinter, cant find it in my programs

You can't find it because most likely you installed with Arc and Arc doesn;t give you the option to uninstall anything. If worst comes to worst, uninstall everything.

However, it is there in the Launcher, the bit you click Play button as Janne said. Resist the urge to click Play top right you'll see a link to options, click it, erase everything in Command Line lower down and check the Start in Safe Mode checkbox, it'll be fine.

hoperuby said:

You can't find it because most likely you installed with Arc and Arc doesn;t give you the option to uninstall anything. If worst comes to worst, uninstall everything.

However, it is there in the Launcher, the bit you click Play button as Janne said. Resist the urge to click Play top right you'll see a link to options, click it, erase everything in Command Line lower down and check the Start in Safe Mode checkbox, it'll be fine.
    Erm yes it does. You just click on the icon that gets you to your list of games, right clicking on any game you have installed will bring up a dropdown menu with the option to uninstall.
    I8r4ux9.jpg