test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Official Feedback Thread: Weapon Enhancement Changes

Comments

• ghoulz66ghoulz66 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,748 Arc User
    tyrtallow said:

There seems to have been a recent change. BoVA only procs WEs once on activation, but the blade fling curse synergy proc on cursed targets now procs WE. This seems like a decent compromise.

Dreadtheft still only procs WEs once, on power activation.

This is a stupid compromise. We have to always have that encounter slotted just to use lightning or bilethorn!? That's not enough justice to warrant using one of those. These WEs are pointless for a SW now.

Dreadtheft should multiproc them again, and make harrowstorm multiproc it as well, because NO ONE uses that garbage useless power!

If you're not fury, guess what, you DON'T get huge damage buffs like a GWF, so these WEs are hitting for base value, they're not doubled or anything. It's not optimal for fury either anyway. If you're SB, you want that vorpal/dread to buff your soul scorch.

• tyrtallowtyrtallow Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 747 Arc User
    edited February 2017
    It's decent enough for that specific encounter, though ideally the blades from the power itself should also proc weapon enchants more than once. A warlock does need to be dangerously close to enemies to use it and the whole point of using the power is to discourage enemies from getting to near/dealing too much damage on the warlock.
    Harrowstorm (along with powers like Wraith Shadow) are mechanically broken powers that should simply be redesigned. What originally made Harrowstorm unique was the sheer utility associated with the power (great AP gain, it had its own Curse Consume effect, multi-proc AoE power). With most status effects broken by deflect (which no longer has a soft cap), the new exaggeratedly long un-cancellable casting time and the removal of its multi-proc effect Harrowstorm is now basically just an AP generation power which is barely even worth slotting because of its tiny AoE.

In general casters (the exception are specific builds) don't get a lot of +% damage buffs. These buffs usually go to warriors (hence their their more conservative encounters... PvE-wise, anyway) with the most notable exception being the ranger. Rangers instead get a LOT more extra encounters (only the archer path gets a staggering amount of mechanicalyl problematic +%damage mods). The trapper, in particular, is mechanically more like a caster than a warrior class.
    Instead of straight up +% damage buffs, casters usually instead get debuffs and feat/mechanic/class feature procs like Assailant, Storm Spell, Smolder, and Creeping Death.
    And of course, really nasty nuke encounters (Disintegrate, Soul Sorch - basically the Vorpal/Dread encounters), and their counterparts, the multi-proc encounter powers.

As someone who plays an alternative non-Vorpal/Dread caster build myself, I also find it very hard to not question just how stupid it is that the Weapon Enchants which were supposed to support my build/playstyle are now going to be underperforming.
    This change, at least, means that they're working on and re-evaluating things.
    You there. New to the game? Feeling overwhelmed? Maybe you think getting to end-game is impossible for a casual player like yourself, or maybe you just need to be around a community that helps each other stay sane and competitive with the latest news, current trends, random chitchat and most of all LEGIT (that is, we try to keep things fair) gameplay. If you don't mind being around quirky people and the rare occasional drama (one of our prominent TR members is apparently a mafia godfather) join nw_legit_community at http://www.nwlegitcommunity.shivtr.com/forum_threads/2330542.
    edited February 2017
    We should be able to have an option with what powers we can mix around on our bars, not be forced into specific powers each time because they underperform considerably less than others.

Do you want to utilize burst powers and want em to hit as hard as possible, or you want to use sustained damage? If you focus towards one, you sacrifice overall damage of the other. It's called build diversity for @#$s sake.

Same idea for TRs. You want that nuke single target lashing/dazing, or want to use weaker multi hits? I really hope they make smoke bomb multi proc again and do the same for PotB. Sucks that you practically gimp yourself because you want to try another WE.

GWF swordmaster is lucky with these changes since their at-wills are their bread and butter.

That's what bothers me most about all of this. A DEV stating that some powers not procing WEs is *not right*. Procing once on long powers is literally the same as not procing at all. Sure, trigger a debuff like frosts, but lose a crapton of DPS just to do that? That is not fair.
  • schietindebuxschietindebux Member Posts: 4,292 Arc User
    edited February 2017
    Bilethorn and Lightning is no option for warlocks atm, like 4% dps on a singel target :) lel
    Dreadthedt is a timeconsuming encounter, nothing you can do in between (=negativ dps). If the WE doesn´t work with it on top it´s a dead encounter, you can stay with Dread/Vorp 4ever.
    If those WE doesn´t proc from aoe or encounter like DT/BoVA they are pointless for this class.
    A melee class like GWF applies WE with At Wills easily in one second.
    Before the rework my GWF was a better debuffer using Plaguefire than my DC or my warlock (both can´t apply 3 stacks)
    Dear devs, this rework is pointless if my powers don´t work with it.

Make WEs not proc on GWF at-wills, that will make all the SWs happy. :p

I play a GWF too... Already have my trans flaming slapped on her for the hell of it on live....

ghoulz66 said:

I play a GWF too... Already have my trans flaming slapped on her for the hell of it on live....

But you do not understand that we use at-wills because all but one of our encounters are weak. Even then we have to buff the at-wills with DS/BF and HD to do good damage. You seem to want them to nerf our at-wills so we can't do damage at all?
    I think you have gone insane(though you might have been already)... I never said or implied nerf GWF.

Only thing I ever stated was that this WE changes work very well for GWFs and that they @#$% over other classes.

edited February 2017

ghoulz66 said:

ghoulz66 said:

But you do not understand that we use at-wills because all but one of our encounters are weak. Even then we have to buff the at-wills with DS/BF and HD to do good damage. You seem to want them to nerf our at-wills so we can't do damage at all?
    I think you have gone insane(though you might have been already)... I never said or implied nerf GWF.

Only thing I ever stated was that this WE changes work very well for GWFs and that they @#$% over other classes.

Besides slowing GWF at-wills down to the speed of SW encounters, I do not see anything that would make you happy. Making some special cases for WEs only for some classes will likely lead to more problems.
    Are you that ignorant!? I never said nerf GWFs. I been talking about the BS SWs are left with this whole time! If you don't play a SW then don't run your mouth about them being a problem with WEs as they never were.

I can see why people are dragged into wars with you!
    edited February 2017
    He doesn't seem to be getting the idea.

Warrior and sub-warrior classes tend to have some of the best at-wills in the game (from TR Sly Flourish/Duelist's Flurry to non-trapper HR Aimed Shot/Aimed Strike to GWF Sure Strike/Weapon Master's Strike to GF tab at-wills to OP Cure Wounds/Oath Strike) because this reflects how warrior and sub-warrior classes mostly just hit things with their weapons in actual combat. For all the reliable and impressive damage it does there's really nothing special about hitting things with your weapon, and that's why a lot of warrior and sub-warrior encounters/dailies focus on utility.
    To make up for this, these classes usually have massive +%damage effects.

Caster and sub-caster classes usually have more powerful encounters/dailies because this reflects their ability to cast powerful spells, which is kind of the whole point of why they're casters. When things get serious, that's when casters WOW everyone by casting game-changing encounters/dailies, from commanding the elements to affect the landscape/battlefield to summoning otherworldly beings and effects. For the most part, caster at-wills tend to be just functional.
    To make up for this casters tend to be squishier, their +%damage effects tend to be gimmicky and there's usually some sort of condition associated with their powers (chill/arcane mastery, curse consume/synergy, divinity/divine power, roots and stance changing for the trapper which mechanically plays like a caster class, etc).

Is it really not that obvious?
    You're nuts if you think caster classes should have the mechanical equivalent of warrior at-wills (speaking as an SW I would gladly trade any or all my at-wills for something like Weapon Master's Strike) or that warriors should have the mechanical equivalent of caster encounter/dailies (GWFs with Tyrannical Curse and TRs running around with Steal Time... what an interesting alternate version of Neverwinter that would make).
    If you can't appreciate just how powerful and useful your at-wills actually are, you've probably never played other classes.

And that's why it's important that SW encounters should scale better with the new WEs. GWFs and -very- different from SWs, and you need to get that into your head since you're trying to compare the two. We don't expect GWFs to give up their at-wills, but you seem to have issues with the fact that caster classes have better encounters/dailies than you.
    Post edited by tyrtallow on
    You there. New to the game? Feeling overwhelmed? Maybe you think getting to end-game is impossible for a casual player like yourself, or maybe you just need to be around a community that helps each other stay sane and competitive with the latest news, current trends, random chitchat and most of all LEGIT (that is, we try to keep things fair) gameplay. If you don't mind being around quirky people and the rare occasional drama (one of our prominent TR members is apparently a mafia godfather) join nw_legit_community at http://www.nwlegitcommunity.shivtr.com/forum_threads/2330542.
    edited February 2017
    You still don't seem to get it.

And you must be playing a different game then, because GWFs had always had strong at-wills. Why do think Unstoppable only boosts them by default? In fact, encounters only started to become more relevant to GWFs with the Destroyer major rework, which only happened sometime during mods 2-3. Suddenly IBS was a lot more powerful because of its high base damage and the fact that it was affected by a lot more feats.
    Before that, GWFs used a combination of at-wills, class features like Steel Blitz/Destroyer, Unstoppable and Slam to tackle mobs. It was not CW-level damage, but nothing was in those times.
    Even after the rework, GWF at-wills still played a critical role thanks of all the +%damage buffs they got.

It's definitely a one-way street. It could be argued that several GWF encounters need to be updated or redesigned, but you want stronger encounters? Give us access to the same +%damage from your feats and we'll call it even.
    You don't seem to appreciate just how massive GWF +%damage buffs are and the effect these have on WE procs, so we'll be more than happy to take these off your hands.
    In fact, I'm pretty sure a lot of us non-GWFs would be more than happy to trade ALL our multi-proc encounters for these +%damage feats.
    Seriously.
    We have T5 +%damage boost feats that are equivalent to mere T1-T2 GWF +%damage feats. We'd be more than happy to swap.
  • niadanniadan Member Posts: 1,635 Arc User
    edited February 2017
    And drinking scotch
    Post edited by niadan on
  • hoperubyhoperuby Member Posts: 41 Arc User
    edited February 2017
    Just saying. Did you know that the "no multi-proc" got fixed yesterday. I tested it yesterday and it worked. I also tested it the day it was implemented (and it wasn't working).

I'm on the side of @ghoulz66 , not allowing multi-proc nerfs the SWs... It also nerfs CWs... Fortunately, this got fixed, and there's no longer a need to argue.

ghoulz66 said:

You don't get it.

No, you don't get it. You are in a dream land.

Go test this @#$% yourself. GWF is performing just fine with these WEs, pretty much any of em. A lot of people who been testing them concluded that WEs like bilethorn are very similar to the vorpal they have always been using.

Now, go test them on a SW. Seriously, go @#$%ing test them! Enough of your BS and start testing this @#$% out!

The whole point of preview is for players to do much of the testing for the DEVs. When they make BAD decisions, we call them out of it.

You like weeping like a crybaby over the firesoul weapon set, but decide the DEVs are right for making a decision to screw over the SW.

You are weeping through this whole thread. About GWF, WEs, you deserved to be trolled.
    You are the cry baby asking for buffs to GWF when it's already fine. SW isn't fine. Go test it or stfu.

edited February 2017
    To work arround these enchants, wich means I rework my hole setup, I need those WE work solid as a striker.
    I don´t want a broken setup and I don´t want an underwhelming one.

For Bilethorn and Lightning there are powers:
    Overperforming with these enchants (Hadar grasp, Hand of Blight )
    Working (Firy blast, CurseBite, BoVA, Arms of Hadar, Accoursed Souls Flames of Phlegethos, Hellish rebuke)
    Underperforming (Harrow Storm, Dreadtheft -lol-, PoP, Warlocks Bargain,Brood of Hadar)
    Not working (Wraith shadow, Gates of Hell)

Following this logic, I gonna spam Hadar grasp and HoB all through the next modules having this enchant.
    That´s no diversity, that´s just working arround bugs and misconcepts.

Same for the GWF:
    At Will are working fine, the rest (encounter) are doing near nothing.
    So no work arround Mighty leap, Flourish (I pretty much hoped on multiprocs...) and Roar :)
    No I gonna buff my At Wills and that´s it

My DC will not profit in any way from those ones...
    Post edited by schietindebux on
  • armadeonxarmadeonx Member Posts: 4,952 Arc User
    I do agree with the point that a WE should be tested on a class before you say whether it's good or bad for that class.

There's a lot of childish name calling going on as well as 'vested interests' in where a particular class stands in relation to other classes but facts & figures speak a lot louder than "I need a buff! / no! I need a buff!".

If you cannot produce evidence then your point is moot.
    Please Do Not Feed The Trolls

Xael De Armadeon: DC
    Xane De Armadeon: CW
    Zen De Armadeon: OP
    Zohar De Armadeon: TR
    Chrion De Armadeon: SW
    Gosti Big Belly: GWF
    Barney McRustbucket: GF
    Lt. Thackeray: HR
    Lucius De Armadeon: BD

Member of Casual Dailies - XBox
  • chemodan007chemodan007 Member Posts: 64 Arc User
    edited February 2017
    @rgutscheradev, @asterdahl and other developers, thank you for working with weapon enhancements!

If a weapon with a fixed damage will not go on live server, please add it to drop from bosses in the most difficult dungeons. GWF has such weapons now - Drake's Greatsword drops in Castle Never. Other classes also want such weapons.
    Drider
  • thefabricantthefabricant Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 5,248 Arc User
    edited February 2017
    Icy Terrain, Conduit of Ice and Oppressive Force still proc weapon enchants 11, 7 and 6 times respectively.

Chill Strike, Ice Storm and Icy Rays still proc enchants twice.

Sudden Storm and Imprisonment now proc enchants once.

Steal Time now procs enchants twice.

Shard of Endless Avalanche, Maelstrom of Chaos, Furious Immolation and Arcane Singularity still do not proc weapon enchantments at all. However, shard does proc feytouched (idk why.) @rgutscheradev could we see these skills fixed?

Fanning the flame procs all enchants except feytouched once, feytouched is procced on every hit.

Ice Knife procs enchants 4 times, with the exception of holy avenger, which is procced twice.

All other abilities proc enchantments exactly once.

Anyone who says CW can no longer multiproc enchantments hasn't tested any of them.

On a non CW note, on tr smoke bomb and path of the blade do not proc enchantments and on OP burning light does not proc enchantments. Smite procs enchantments 6 times.
    Post edited by thefabricant on
    edited February 2017
    armadeonx said:

I do agree with the point that a WE should be tested on a class before you say whether it's good or bad for that class.

There's a lot of childish name calling going on as well as 'vested interests' in where a particular class stands in relation to other classes but facts & figures speak a lot louder than "I need a buff! / no! I need a buff!".

If you cannot produce evidence then your point is moot.

Evidence, testruns in new dungeons and detailed logs?
    I can give you one graph to show what is broken or not, no need to run a hole dungeon. A dummy, using singel or multitarget is more than sufficient to get a hint about the performance.
    In case you want hours of testings with a fix, equal setup, dungeonsruns comparing each class vs. the other, switching through every power and enchant, showing graphs ..... I got a job and this game is not worth it to get that much attention :)
    Valid or not I do not need 20 years of testing to understand what is broken or simply not working.
    edited February 2017
    Lightning procs 14 times from HG and arc visually jumps over on harmless chicken and habitants of Caer-Konig (do I need a pic to prove it?)
    To some degree caster needs multiprocs on some encounter, otherwise those weaponsenchant won´t be from any interest imo.

Fried Chicken

Bilethorn+HoB

• thefabricantthefabricant Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 5,248 Arc User

Lightning procs 14 times from HG and arc visually jumps over on harmless chicken and habitants of Caer-Konig (do I need a pic to prove it?)
    To some degree caster needs multiprocs on some encounter, otherwise those weaponsenchant won´t be from any interest imo.

Fried Chicken

Bilethorn+HoB

@schietindebux that picture is definitely amusing. I would notice similar issues on CW, where lightning was hitting my wizard for 0 damage. It isn't really much of an inconvenience except for the screen spam though so I didn't bother to report it. It doesn't pop CW shield so if for some reason you using shield, you won't have to worry about that.
    edited February 2017

Fried Chicken

Bilethorn+HoB

@schietindebux that picture is definitely amusing. I would notice similar issues on CW, where lightning was hitting my wizard for 0 damage. It isn't really much of an inconvenience except for the screen spam though so I didn't bother to report it. It doesn't pop CW shield so if for some reason you using shield, you won't have to worry about that.
    It´s a sidenote, sure..and I proved it.
    About multiprocs it will be the same experience as we have made several times before.
    A rework is done, 2 weeks later a new meta is born, using broken aspects from all this.
    For warlock it´s predictable, combined with powersharing (if scales) + multiprocs there are some nice broken builds coming up, till they get fixed.
    The "Toxlock" and the " Flashlock" ...ok those names are pretty cheap
    The moment they get fixed those enchants will be from no interest any more and be sold for a cake again. Maybe time to sell them now...
    edited February 2017
    You think Hadar's Grasp is overperforming... why? You do know we're talking about a power with 50% more cooldown time than Killing Flames even with 30%+ RSI?
    If anything, the power was severely underperforming and the new WEs actually make it viable again. You also forgot to mention that only the Curse Consume effect multiprocs it 14 times.

Only the melee aspect of Hand of Blight multiprocs. It's also a single target power and only does 2 more procs than the CW Ray of Frost, a ranged at-will. Overperforming? Hardly.

BTW, I've already posted a ballpark version of this information several pages ago.

Powers like Dreadtheft and Blades of Vanquished Armies badly need multiproc because multiproc IS an important aspect of these powers. Also, they are channeling powers (SW has to channel them before they even go on cooldown).

Warlock's Bargain and Brood of Hadar do not need multiprocs, the former has a damage reduction/damage reflect/healing effect while the latter stuns and deals the highest single target damage of SW dailies. It's also actually a summoning daily, the spawned horrors are independent entities which will follow you around if they run out of enemies to attack. It would be more interesting to see them benefit from other effects, like the Soul Puppet hopefully will be to in the future.
    Pillar of Power does not need multi-procs. It already has a ton of utility to go with it, and if properly fixed will be one of the few +%damage SW effects that ignore the +%damage debuff cap (because of the buff aspect). Also works on other people as long as they stand in the circle, even if you skip the Damnation feat.

Wraith's Shadow is a bugged power (cannot be cast on allies but will actually allow you to target allies, thus requiring a clear line of sight between you and your target - obviously this makes it almost unusable in chaotic fights) and along with the current un-cancellable, exaggeratedly long casting-time Harrowstorm and the why-do-these-powers-even-exist Vampiric Embrace/Gates of Hell are the powers that need a significant redesign/fix/buff. Most other powers only need fine-tuning.
    It would be better to simply skip these powers for now unless mod11 has a SW rebalance component that I wasn't aware of.

You seem to be under the impression that people like me are only randomly coming up with SW WE proc builds like some opportunistic people posting here. I suppose someone who thinks that way can only expect the same from other people.
    On the contrary quite a few of the SW supporters posting here actually play non-Vorpal/Dread SWs on live, but with the changes we are now basically being forced to switch to Vorpal/Dread.
    Our outrage is VERY real.
    Post edited by tyrtallow on