test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

More competitiveness in PvE

1235»

Comments

• thefiresidecatthefiresidecat Member Posts: 4,486 Arc User
    what they really need to do is shelf this game and introduce neverwinter 2. let people bring some things to the new game with them but redo it all. nuke and rebuild for hte most part.
  • armadeonxarmadeonx Member Posts: 4,952 Arc User

what they really need to do is shelf this game and introduce neverwinter 2. let people bring some things to the new game with them but redo it all. nuke and rebuild for hte most part.

I completely agree with that, I've thought it for a while!
    Please Do Not Feed The Trolls

Xael De Armadeon: DC
    Xane De Armadeon: CW
    Zen De Armadeon: OP
    Zohar De Armadeon: TR
    Chrion De Armadeon: SW
    Gosti Big Belly: GWF
    Barney McRustbucket: GF
    Lt. Thackeray: HR
    Lucius De Armadeon: BD

Member of Casual Dailies - XBox
  • l0th4ri0l0th4ri0 Member Posts: 589 Arc User
    edited January 2017

l0th4ri0 said:

On a side note with lifesteal:

I'm cruising right along with my lifesteal-less CW. Got rid of all LS at lev 40-ish last week when we started talking about it and I got curious to see how necessary it really is. Currently halfway through Elemental Evil, lev 66, and no deaths aside from a couple of missteps dealing with crabs at Drowned Shore and a couple of crucially bad timed lag spikes which cant really be blamed on anything.

More importantly, the game is still fun and playable... not really any harder or easier at all. Which maybe could change later on in other campaigns. We'll see.

if so why would you argue to get rid of it still?
    If I can play a suboptimal squishy build into endgame without lifesteal, then lifesteal is not needed in the game.

At least, that's how it started out in my mind. But it doesn't really prove anything when (not if) I make it TBH. I'm really just doing it now as a curiosity thing. My CW is a sideshow build, almost "gimmicky" by not having lifesteal, due to the fact that it is generally accepted practice for everyone to have lots and lots of it. I had a tricky time figuring out artifacts due to how many of them have LS on them. Can't get the valindra set which could have been interesting for a gimmick oppressor build -- the belt shard(?) has LS on it. I'm even running with Shield in my 4th encounter slot like a hamstering noob. Just really bizarrely different from my usual. But it's fun! For example, if you've never played extensively with EF on tab, you should try it once to see what it's like. It crams all the mobs from a pretty good-sized area into this tight little clump, and if they are already frozen (hint) then they stay put so you or, say, a cleric with daunting light, or somesuch with a tight small AoE can nuke them easily and get all of them.

Mostly through Fiery Pit now since last night... got creamed at Emberclaw when I tried to solo it. Was that a bad idea? :wink:
  • micky1p00micky1p00 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,594 Arc User
    l0th4ri0 said:

l0th4ri0 said:

On a side note with lifesteal:

I'm cruising right along with my lifesteal-less CW. Got rid of all LS at lev 40-ish last week when we started talking about it and I got curious to see how necessary it really is. Currently halfway through Elemental Evil, lev 66, and no deaths aside from a couple of missteps dealing with crabs at Drowned Shore and a couple of crucially bad timed lag spikes which cant really be blamed on anything.

More importantly, the game is still fun and playable... not really any harder or easier at all. Which maybe could change later on in other campaigns. We'll see.

if so why would you argue to get rid of it still?
    If I can play a suboptimal squishy build into endgame without lifesteal, then lifesteal is not needed in the game.

At least, that's how it started out in my mind. But it doesn't really prove anything when (not if) I make it TBH. I'm really just doing it now as a curiosity thing. My CW is a sideshow build, almost "gimmicky" by not having lifesteal, due to the fact that it is generally accepted practice for everyone to have lots and lots of it. I had a tricky time figuring out artifacts due to how many of them have LS on them. Can't get the valindra set which could have been interesting for a gimmick oppressor build -- the belt shard(?) has LS on it. I'm even running with Shield in my 4th encounter slot like a hamstering noob. Just really bizarrely different from my usual. But it's fun! For example, if you've never played extensively with EF on tab, you should try it once to see what it's like. It crams all the mobs from a pretty good-sized area into this tight little clump, and if they are already frozen (hint) then they stay put so you or, say, a cleric with daunting light, or somesuch with a tight small AoE can nuke them easily and get all of them.

Mostly through Fiery Pit now since last night... got creamed at Emberclaw when I tried to solo it. Was that a bad idea? :wink:
    Sorry if I missed something, but end-game is not EE. it's MSVA / FBI with their zones.
  • majorcharvenakmajorcharvenak Member Posts: 783 Arc User
    Why can't they just keep the percentage but cap the severity at 60? Then to compensate, rework the leader/healing companions by boosting their heals by 40%. That way you don't get rid of it but you don't let the presence of it make some classes completely irrelevant at endgame.
    ~Shia~

House Miliskeera in exile (NW)
    Sereska Miliskeera, Lvl 70 OP - Devotion (Just.)/Protection (Just.)
    Shizlee Miliskeera, Lvl 70 DC - Divine Oracle (Right.)/Anoited Champion (Faith.)
    Finithey Miliskeera, Lvl 70 HR - Stormwarden (Combat)/Pathfinder (Trapper)
    Maya Sik-Miliskeera, Lvl 70 CW - Spellstorm
    Irae Sik-Miliskeera, Lvl 70 TR - Master Inflitrator

Member - Houseclan t'Charvon (STO)
    Shiarrael e'Tal'Aura t'Charvon, LvL 60, Rom Sci
    S'aana ir'Virinat t'Charvon, Lvl 60, Rom Eng
    T'Lyra, LvL 60, Fed, Vul Sci
    Ta'el, Lvl 60, Rom Tac
  • greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,145 Arc User
    micky1p00 said:

Sorry if I missed something, but end-game is not EE. it's MSVA / FBI with their zones.

Endgame starts with Sharandar.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
    edited January 2017
    Yeah LOL I am NOT close to endgame yet. Just updating on my progress getting there which is gonna be a while still. I am gonna run all campaign content without lifesteal.
  • micky1p00micky1p00 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,594 Arc User
    edited January 2017
    greywynd said:

micky1p00 said:

I guess it depends on the definition but in all places I saw, and googled, it refers to the hardest / latest content available from which there is no further progress.
    It's an indicator of the lack of possible progression after that. After Sharandar there is still a long long way where to go.

Not a good source, but just as an example: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Endgame

But in any case, it's probably not relevant, didn't mean to derail.

Why can't they just keep the percentage but cap the severity at 60? Then to compensate, rework the leader/healing companions by boosting their heals by 40%. That way you don't get rid of it but you don't let the presence of it make some classes completely irrelevant at endgame.

This is another math-based solution that could work. Maybe not a hard cap due to the fact that LS severity is featured on gear/boons/feats, but maybe default it down to 60% instead of it starting out at 100 already. Nice idea.
    edited January 2017
    micky1p00 said:

[SNIP].... it refers to the hardest / latest content available from which there is no further progress...

I also consider this "endgame", just as a clarification. I'm trying to make it through the campaigns to Mod 10 stuff, wherein Mod 10 is "endgame".

Post edited by l0th4ri0 on
  • ragequittingdc#8599 ragequittingdc Member Posts: 229 Arc User
    edited January 2017
    If you really want it to be more competitive in dungeons, make the utility abilities necessary.

Make TR's ability to break traps a huge plus in dungeons, make a CW MoF more than just an AOE spec, SS as well for that matter. Introduce elements(no pun) that require them to diffuse or, go figure, control. Give both paths another spell mastery perk for their encounter powers that are designed for the preposed dungeon revamp.

Make GWF who are tanky more preferable in some groups by adding more CN orcus power well type of scenarios. In any case, I see more leaderboards as just a way for the top 10% of players to compete, but for everyone else, not so much.
    im actually the gwf carry
  • thefiresidecatthefiresidecat Member Posts: 4,486 Arc User
    micky1p00 said:

greywynd said:

micky1p00 said:

I guess it depends on the definition but in all places I saw, and googled, it refers to the hardest / latest content available from which there is no further progress.
    It's an indicator of the lack of possible progression after that. After Sharandar there is still a long long way where to go.

Not a good source, but just as an example: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Endgame

But in any case, it's probably not relevant, didn't mean to derail.
    sharandar is DEFINITELY NOT endgame. EE isn't endgame. not by a long shot. it was once upon a time.. but that was like a year ago.

they nerfed sharandar to level 64. to be endgame I'd argue the dudes you're seeing must be level 73.
  • hustin1hustin1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,462 Arc User
    I definitely would not like to see PvE made more competitive. In three years I've run afoul of far too many callous PvP-specced players who wouldn't hesitate a nanosecond before stealing my quest objectives. Thanks, but no thanks. If anything, I'd like to see PvE somehow give bonus rewards for cooperative play. I still think that cutting the leveling dungeons down to three-persons was a terrible mistake as they don't require any cooperation at all. Finding a party that works together in those is like finding a two-horned, three-eyed unicorn. If I were king for a day, I'd revert the dungeons back to their 5-man versions, open up the side areas, and introduce side bonuses for parties willing to work together to solve problems. Ideally, the rewards (and associated problems) would be randomized from a large pool.
    Harper Chronicles: Cap Snatchers (RELEASED) - NW-DPUTABC6X
    Blood Magic (RELEASED) - NW-DUU2P7HCO
    Children of the Fey (RELEASED) - NW-DKSSAPFPF
    Buried Under Blacklake (WIP) - NW-DEDV2PAEP
    The Redcap Rebels (WIP) - NW-DO23AFHFH
    My Foundry playthrough channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Ruskaga/featured