test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Introducing our newest Community Moderator, tripsofthrymr!

2»

Comments

• Options
    kuero21kuero21 Member Posts: 454 Arc User
    edited October 2016
    Just out of curiousness, are you forum moderators forced to make use of certain words when speaking/ writing? I haven't seen any forum user ever using greetings like "well met!", except for game developers.
  • Options
    tripsofthrymrtripsofthrymr Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,624 Community Moderator
    kuero21 said:

Just out of curiousness, are you forum moderators forced to make use of certain words when speaking/ writing? I haven't seen any forum user ever using greetings like "well met!", except for game developers.

Not at all.

We do have templates for common situations that happen to use that language. They are a time-saver and help ensure a complete and consistent response.

"Well met!" feels consistent with the theme of the game (for non-native English speakers... well-met is an archaic adjective that originated around the end of the 16th century and is used as a form of greeting).

The templates were created by the moderators. I use them where appropriate, often as a starting point that I modify to meet the specific situation. So far there have been few occasions to need them, so thank you all for keeping it respectful on the forums.
    Caritas Guild Founder (Greycloak Alliance)

Sci-fi author: The Gods We Make, The Gods We Seek, and Ji-min
  • Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    To be perfectly honest, I find the "Well met" greeting comes across as a little offputting when it prefaces a warning.

I guess it's a matter of me feeling that precisely because the phrase is archaic, anyone using it is playing (roleplaying, or just plain having fun with language), and therefore inappropriate when the message is serious.

It's like if you got called into your boss's office and your boss said "WASSUP!" before telling you that you're on probation.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • Options
    kreatyvekreatyve Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 10,545 Community Moderator
    I personally don't use the "Well met". I generally go with "Greetings", but that's just my personal preference.
    My opinions are my own. I do not work for PWE or Cryptic. - Forum Rules - Protector's Enclave Discord - I play on Xbox
    Any of my comments not posted in orange are based on my own personal opinion and not official.
    Any messages written in orange are official moderation messages. Signature images are now fixed!
    kuI2v8l.png
  • Options
    "Greetings" is neutral and businesslike.

Neverwinter Census 2017

• Options
    kvetkvet Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,700 Arc User
    Better than what you probably want to say to the person for real anyway :)
  • Options
    g0rd0nbennetg0rd0nbennet Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    Gratz Trips.

As a Guild Leader you have been a star. Those of us you have recruited over the years expect no less of you here. Seriously sounds like they got the right person for the job.
  • Options
    tripsofthrymrtripsofthrymr Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,624 Community Moderator

To be perfectly honest, I find the "Well met" greeting comes across as a little offputting when it prefaces a warning.

I guess it's a matter of me feeling that precisely because the phrase is archaic, anyone using it is playing (roleplaying, or just plain having fun with language), and therefore inappropriate when the message is serious.

I received a few of those messages well before I became a moderator and took that language to be just in keeping with the flavor of the game but I can absolutely see your point of view.
    kreatyve said:

I personally don't use the "Well met". I generally go with "Greetings", but that's just my personal preference.

I'll go with that, too.

I appreciate the feedback. The role of moderators is to keep things respectful and I wouldn't want to use language that might accidentally offend.

• Options

As a Guild Leader you have been a star. Those of us you have recruited over the years expect no less of you here. Seriously sounds like they got the right person for the job.

Thank you, I appreciate your kind words.

• Options

I received a few of those messages well before I became a moderator and took that language to be just in keeping with the flavor of the game but I can absolutely see your point of view.
    kreatyve said:

I'll go with that, too.

I appreciate the feedback. The role of moderators is to keep things respectful and I wouldn't want to use language that might accidentally offend.
    I appreciate your receptivity.

As far as keeping with the flavor of the game goes, there are many times when this is great. I didn't realize until the NW Twitter account retweeted a blog about opening a prize parcel that when Andy makes tea-stained paper (as seen on his personal account), that he does it for work and not just as a hobby. He writes letters on that paper to send to NW players who've won prizes. This is charming and delightful beyond belief. It's FUN.

But when you have to be the heavy, trying to gussy it up doesn't help.

Neverwinter Census 2017

• Options

I didn't realize until the NW Twitter account retweeted a blog about opening a prize parcel that when Andy makes tea-stained paper (as seen on his personal account), that he does it for work and not just as a hobby. He writes letters on that paper to send to NW players who've won prizes. This is charming and delightful beyond belief. It's FUN.

That makes me want to try and win a prize. Very cool, didn't realize he does that.

• Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited October 2016

It's like if you got called into your boss's office and your boss said "WASSUP!" before telling you that you're on probation.

I guess this is directed at me as it is what I use to greet people in game, on the forums, as a moderator, and even in real life -- regardless of context, and you've brought it up before... As I said in the past and I shall reiterate further, "Well met" is a formal Thorass (the common tongue of the Realms) greeting in the Realms, made popular by the Old Sage, Elminster Aumar. It means to convey a sense of wellness and not the act of meeting on a positive or negative attitude. As in saying that the meeting taking place shall go well and there shall be no hostility. Not that the meeting is all faeries and unicorns.

As I have been a DM of the Realms since 1993, for over two decades, it has become commonplace for me to use both in the gaming scene and in real world usage. I often greet people that way as well face to face and even on the telephone. I am sorry that you purvey it any other way than it's meaning, but really that is no one's fault but one's own for taking offense to a common greeting in the campaign world of a game in which you play.
  • Options
    Nah, Zeb. I really only brought it up in the context of it being part of a mod message template.

I don't find it at all objectionable when you're just being yourself.

Neverwinter Census 2017

• Options
    crizpynutzcrizpynutz Member Posts: 349 Arc User
    Congrats @tripsofthrymr on your CM status. What's your THAC0?
  • Options

What's your THAC0?

Doesn't really matter because my 2d4 +1 damage won't even break a nail on a boss with millions of hit points :smile:

• Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited October 2016

Nah, Zeb. I really only brought it up in the context of it being part of a mod message template.

I don't find it at all objectionable when you're just being yourself.

If it helps, I wrote those templates. :D The mods are encouraged to personalize them, yet most of the time we have a lot to do or are sending out multiple warnings, so it's easy to forget to change things around. Only a handful of violations actually have templates, just the ones we have to warn the most over.