test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

CW feat bug fixes

gankdalf#8991 gankdalf Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 930 Arc User
First of all, this thread is not about BALANCE. This thread is highlighting broken class powers/feats that should be fixed. Maybe you could take a look and fix these things for mod10? :)

Oppressor:
GLACIAL MOVEMENT: Only the first rank works for the Orb of Imposition. We only get 4% not 20%.
Another report of this is problem says that it gives the 20% but only for the first rank of Orb of Imposition instead of 20% per rank.

Side note: Oppressor should have "piercing control" or something like that because so many mobs have immunity and that makes the whole oppressor build useless in many situations.

-------------------

Thaumaturge:
ELEMENTAL REINFORCEMENT: Fanning the Flame does not procc the 5% damage buff.

Sidenote: I think all powers should procc this feat. Magic missiles should procc the arcane buff for example (with a small cooldown ofc on the buff).

SPELL TWISTING: Does not apply the cooldown reduction on Icy Rays, Shield and Ray of Enfeeblement on TABB.

-------------------

Renegade:
Chaos Magic: Chaotic Nexus does not give 30% additional Armor Penetration.

-------------------

ICY TERRAIN: Deals 0 damage to frozen targets

-------------------

Elven Battle:
Chill stacks: The overlooked mistake here is that chill stacks, has two purposes. Control and Damage for a Control Wizard. And I think the devs did not think of that when they made the Elven Battle. Without this information, the Elven Battle may work as intendent. But when you have the facts Im sure its NOT WAI.

Elven battle is suppose to reduce control effects. With this "new" information, that it does not only reduce control but also damage for some classes like CWs, the WAI status has to change and it needs to be fixed so that Elven Battle does not interfere with a CWs damage.

Chill stacks affects feats like chilling presence, class mechanism like smolder and encounters like CoI.
CoI:
Turn target enemy into a conduit for an icy storm, dealing damage to them and enemies around them for a short period.
Damage is increased by 5% for every stack of Chill, and those effects are constantly refreshed.

Spell Mastery: Now adds a Chill effect to targets hit by Conduit of Ice, and increases the size of the area effect.

Smolder
Many of the Master of Flame Paragon powers add Smolder to your target which deals damage over time. If the target is affected by Chill, it gains a Rimefire aspect, allowing its duration to be refreshed by Chill effects.

Chilling presence
Increases the damage you deal by 2% for each stack of Chill on your target. This damage bonus is doubled on Frozen targets.
Another argument is that we have many encounters that adds chill stacks. You need to reach 6 stacks to freeze a target. The problem here is that because Elven Battle removes the actual chill stacks really fast, you cant FREEZE anyone because you have a really hard time to reach those 6 stacks. So Elven battle does NOT reduce the effect of freeze, its making the targets immun to that control power.

And if we cant freeze targets, that will effect even more feats that we have. Like:
Frigid Winds
Foes who have been Frozen take 2/4/6/8/10% more Damage from all sources.

Shatter Strike
When you freeze a target they are afflicted by Shattered for 10 seconds. Shattered foes have a chance when taking damage to be stunned for 5 seconds (1 second on players) and take up to 5% of their Max HP in damage (max 300% weapon damage). This effect consumes Shatter. Additionally, your control powers deal 100% of your weapon damage against control immune targets. Additionally, Chill lasts 2.5 seconds longer.
-------------------

Feel free to comment any other IMPORTANT fixes for the Control Wizard. This thread is not about balance.

▁ ▂ ▄ ▅ ▆ ▇ █ Gankdalf The Icehole █ ▇ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▂ ▁

Post edited by gankdalf#8991 on

Comments

• Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    Problems with Icy Rays and Spell Twisting appear to originate from Icy Rays being labelled an at-will power and not properly an encounter.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • Options

Problems with Icy Rays and Spell Twisting appear to originate from Icy Rays being labelled an at-will power and not properly an encounter.

I dont think thats the case with spell twisting I never saw RoE classes as an at-will and that encounter has the same problem. Its probably something that has to do with the 2 charge thing.

• Options
    thefabricantthefabricant Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 5,248 Arc User
    edited July 2016

@beckylunatic

Spell Twisting: This is the feat that replaces recovery for you as a CW. What it does is after you use an encounter power, you gain a stack of spell twisting, which stacks up to 3 times. When you use an at will, it then consumes all your stacks of spell twisting and reduces your cooldowns by 0.1*number of stacks. This means that if we compare this to recovery we find the following:
    Recharge speed increase works as follows: CD/(1+recharge speed increase)
    Spell twisting works as follows: 0.7*CD
    To correlate the 2, spell twisting is worth [1+(recharge speed)]/0.7-(1+recharge speed)
    Which means assuming you got 0 recharge speed increase, at absolute worst, spell twisting is worth 42% recharge speed increase, or 8400 recovery. If you have any more recharge speed increase then 0, it is worth a whole lot more. Also, note that spell twisting does not reduce the cooldowns of shield, icy rays on tab, shard of endless avalanche and ray of enfeeblement on tab. However, if you place any of the bugged encounters on a normal slot first then move them to mastery, they will have their CD reduced.

Its got nothing to do with icy rays being labelled as an at will, its a tooltip error, nothing more. My theory is it has to do with abilities that can be cast multiple times, as all of the abilities that are bugged with spell twisting, can all be used more than once. (shield can be popped, icy rays can be used on 2 targets, RoE can be used twice, shard can be pushed)

Otherwise, I 100% agree with the OP, these are bugged (read as not working the way they are specified to work) mechanics and as of such they should be fixed. This is not a "Class Balance" request, its a request to fix mechanics.

Other things that need fixing is Icy terrain dealing 0 damage to frozen targets.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    @thefabricant Thanks. I'm way more familiar with TRs and there were huge problems from the (still horribly buggy) encounter Vengeance's Pursuit being mis-tagged as an at-will (including having no cooldown at all).

I don't think recovery/cooldown reduction affects any power with charges, but CWs are the only class with an option to move an encounter somewhere that changes that.

Neverwinter Census 2017

• Options
    scathiasscathias Member Posts: 1,174 Arc User

I don't think recovery/cooldown reduction affects any power with charges, but CWs are the only class with an option to move an encounter somewhere that changes that.

Recovery does decrease cooldowns on charged abilities (i have tested this with threatening rush and hidden daggers on GWF), but it seems like feats that grant forms of CDR (trapper feats, spell twisting) do not. I have no idea if TRs using the feat Knife's Edge or Shady Preparations would have an effect on their Impact Shot encounter
    Guild - The Imaginary Friends
    We are searching for slave labor, will pay with food from our farm!
  • Options
    Pls take a look at these feats @amenar @commanderander @panderus @ontheriver @asterdahl @rgutscheradev

I mean we have the control feat broken in the control tree. We have a damage feat broken in the damage tree and we have a buff feat (capstone) broken in the buff tree. :disappointed:

• Options
    Yeah Ive seen it, I just wanted to ask for fixes for the most important problems this time around. Didnt want to overwhelm them with problems.

• Options
    metalldjt said:

i thin the Control Wizard should not have the penalty on players on the Thamaturg capstone : Assailant , makin tt half effective on players @amenar

Yeah I can agree on that. Need more DPS classes in PVP because with all the healing nothing ever dies.

• Options
    thefabricantthefabricant Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 5,248 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    desisti said:

Its got nothing to do with icy rays being labelled as an at will, its a tooltip error, nothing more.

On topic of Icy Rays, I think that this was already mentioned before... It is at-will slotted in encounter (according to NW wiki - http://neverwinter.gamepedia.com/Icy_Rays - so its not error, for some dumb reason they made it like that). And there is a workaround how to benefit from spell twist and still have it on tab (I believe that CWs knows about it, also was mentioned before).

But yes, it is a problem. It should interact with spell twist like any other encounter, i really don't want to plan ahead and calculate when I will need it on tab.
    That wiki page was written by a particular player (@beatannier) who believed this way, I happen to disagree with them. It was not written by a dev. It procs companions labelled, "on encounter use" but not ones labelled, "on at will use" and with the exception of spell twisting, it behaves like an encounter power. It is a tooltip error and nothing more.
  • Options
    Like I said, WK TRs previously had an encounter mislabelled as an at-will, which coincided with the power behaving like an at-will in some ways (no cooldown). The tooltip fix and power fix turned out to be independent of each other, but the initial functionality looked like it was related.

I also don't believe it's intended, but don't think it's entirely far-fetched for a power to not be coded to behave as an encounter should because the person doing it was looking at incorrect tooltip text at the time.

Neverwinter Census 2017

• Options
    torontodavetorontodave Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 992 Arc User
    NW-DSQ39N5SJ - 'To Infinity, and BEYOND!' - Spelljammer Quest. Skyships, Indiana Jones moments
    NW-DC9R4J5EH - 'The Black Pearl' - Spelljammer! Phlo Riders and Space Orcs
    Thanks for all the fish.