test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Oathbound Paladin & Devoted Cleric changes

amenaramenar Member, NW_CrypticDev Posts: 90 Arc User
If you haven't read the Upcoming powers/balance changes please go here to take a look: arcgames.com/en/forums/neverwinter#/discussion/1214505/upcoming-powers-balance-changes

Here are the related patch notes:

Oathbound Paladin
  • Divine Protector: Duration reduced to 3 seconds plus 1 second per additional rank (6 second max, down from 20 second max).
  • Divine Protector: Now reduces all damage you take while active by 50%, down from 80%.
  • Heroism: Duration reduced to 4 seconds plus 2 seconds per additional rank (10 second max, down from 20 second max).
  • Shield of Faith: Duration reduced to 6 seconds plus 2 seconds per additional rank (12 second max, down from 24 second max).
  • Shield of Faith: Now decreases incoming damage by 30% (down from 50%) and increases healing taken by 30% (up from 20%).
  • Aura of Vengeance: The damage proc from this Class Feature no longer counts as At-Will damage.
  • Binding Oath: Modified tooltip wording slightly to be more succinct and understandable.
  • Binding Oath: The damage dealt to other targets at the end of the duration can no longer exceed the Max HP of the Paladin.
  • Feats: Echoes of Light: This effect can now only occur once every 15 seconds. The proc chance no longer secretly increases if you are hitting multiple targets. The proc chance has been increased from 1/2/3/4/5% to 2/4/6/8/10%.
  • Oathbound Paladins will no longer receive a 20% damage buff for 1 second every 20 seconds.
Devoted Cleric
  • Feats: Gift of Haste: Now grants AP over 5 seconds, instead of instantly. If you are already affected by Gift of Haste, having it applied to you again will refresh the duration.
  • Feats: Gift of Haste: Now places a buff icon on the recipient, instead of popping up combat floating text with every application.
  • Feats: Gift of Haste: When casting Healing Word, Gift of Haste no longers fail to apply to the caster in certain circumstances.
  • Healing Word: The targeting of this power is now more reliable on angled terrain.
  • Healing Word: Buff tooltip now accurately reflects what the power does when applied in Divinity mode.
  • Divine Glow: Modified tooltip wording slightly to be more succinct. Also added tooltip text to the buffs and debuffs.
  • Divine Glow: No longer incorrectly states that the effect stacks 3 times when cast in Divinity mode.

Comments

• drakenmonkdrakenmonk Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    Ok, I admit that palidans needed a nerf, but as always now you took it too far. How can you ever think to have a balanced game if you always over due stuff one way or another. You need to cut the nerfs in half. Instead of having 20s time, a 10 second time is what is needed, the 50% is fine. But something that last only 6s in a game that is riddled with lag is useless.
  • mrvincent1959mrvincent1959 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 740 Arc User
    Well, for my AP DC, its not as bad as I thought it was going to be. Need to test it out.
    twitch.tv/kaligold
  • urabaskurabask Member Posts: 2,923 Arc User
    Welp time to spec into full righteous.
    I8r4ux9.jpg
  • ghoulz66ghoulz66 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,748 Arc User

Ok, I admit that palidans needed a nerf, but as always now you took it too far. How can you ever think to have a balanced game if you always over due stuff one way or another. You need to cut the nerfs in half. Instead of having 20s time, a 10 second time is what is needed, the 50% is fine. But something that last only 6s in a game that is riddled with lag is useless.

The double nerf is a bit excessive. Should have been one or the other.
  • mrvincent1959mrvincent1959 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 740 Arc User
    The nerf to the Pally bubble was huge. From 20 seconds down to 6. WOW
    twitch.tv/kaligold
  • losttraverserlosttraverser Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 26 Arc User
    have guys lost your minds making the guardian fighters power recharge even quicker you have just made the pvp guardian fighters that are using the stealth rings that much more impossible to beat rethink this or get rid of the stealth rings

The nerf to the Pally bubble was huge. From 20 seconds down to 6. WOW

Yep, count on cryptic to go over board with something that needs to be balanced. And people wonder why the game numbers are dropping month after month.
  • two30two30 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,168 Arc User
    amenar said:

• Feats: Echoes of Light: This effect can now only occur once every 15 seconds. The proc chance no longer secretly increases if you are hitting multiple targets. The proc chance has been increased from 1/2/3/4/5% to 2/4/6/8/10%.
    I often solo campaign dailies with an Oathbound Paladin. Killing enemies is already quite tedious. Reducing Echoes of Light procs is going to make it so much worse. I understand the intent of making encounter cooldowns relevant, but Echoes of Light is one of the few ways for little Oathbound Paladins to increase their DPS, particularly because of Purifying Fire's stack cap.
    Neverwinter Tools for evaluating boons, mounts, dyes, etc.
  • ghoulz66ghoulz66 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,748 Arc User
    Besides, that's real fair. The DC's AS is 40% DR and the DC provides more damage buffs than the heal OP.
  • kalina311kalina311 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,082 Arc User
    edited April 2016
    perhaps there are other tweaks to guardians we dont know about yet to complete the picture like a reduction of into the fray effectiveness
  • strumslingerstrumslinger Member, NW_CrypticDev, Cryptic Developer Posts: 1,724 Cryptic Developer
    Please remember this is just for Preview, which is a test server. As always, nothing is set in stone and may change when it hits live.

Call me Andy (or Strum, or Spider-Man)!
    Follow Neverwinter on Twitter: NeverwinterGame 
    Like Neverwinter on Facebook: Neverwinter

Follow me on Twitter: StrumSlinger

kalina311 said:

perhaps there are other tweaks to guardians we dont know about yet to complete the picture like a reduction of into the fray effectiveness

What they should do is reduce into the frame and similar gwf power, and remove the multiplier from anvil of doom and indomitable strike, its ridiculous people are doing 17 million in one hit.
  • aimeesellersaimeesellers Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 342 Arc User
    *dances with joy*
    A'Mie Stormshield (GF) / A'Mie Stormshard (CW)
    Play Legit or Quit
    PandorasMisfits_Logo_175_zpskpytcqxc.png
    Pandora's Misfits Guild Leader
  • cromejohnsencromejohnsen Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 207 Arc User
    edited April 2016
    amenar said:

If you haven't read the Upcoming powers/balance changes please go here to take a look: arcgames.com/en/forums/neverwinter#/discussion/1214505/upcoming-powers-balance-changes

Divine Glow: Modified tooltip wording slightly to be more succinct. Also added tooltip text to the buffs and debuffs.
    Divine Glow: No longer incorrectly states that the effect stacks 3 times when cast in Divinity mode.
    So does that mean, that Divine glow gives me the full buff in divinity mode with just one cast from it. Is that how it works on live right now as well? I dont need to cast it 3 times to receive 37,5 % more dmg when cast in divine mode ?

EDIT:
    Tested it on live server and yes it is just one cast that u need to place under your allies to receive the full benefit of the stated 3 stacks.
  • scathiasscathias Member Posts: 1,174 Arc User

Please remember this is just for Preview, which is a test server. As always, nothing is set in stone and may change when it hits live.

When is this hitting live btw? next thursday? i hope you give us more time on preview than 1 week...
    Guild - The Imaginary Friends
    We are searching for slave labor, will pay with food from our farm!
    scathias said:

When is this hitting live btw? next thursday? i hope you give us more time on preview than 1 week...
    :|

This better not be hitting til the next mod at least.
    I8r4ux9.jpg
  • klangeddinklangeddin Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 882 Arc User
    edited April 2016

*dances with joy*

Now, now, let's be classy here.
    I'm sure that our paladin colleagues will still display all their heroism in full force, while acting as divine protectors for their comrades. o:)
  • scathiasscathias Member Posts: 1,174 Arc User

amenar said:

Divine Glow: Modified tooltip wording slightly to be more succinct. Also added tooltip text to the buffs and debuffs.
    Divine Glow: No longer incorrectly states that the effect stacks 3 times when cast in Divinity mode.
    So does that mean, that Divine glow gives me the full buff in divinity mode with just one cast from it. Is that how it works on live right now as well? I dont need to cast it 3 times to receive 37,5 % more dmg when cast in divine mode ?
    right now on live you get a 5% debuff or something a divine divine glow whether you cast it once or three times. this change makes it so that it is clear you will only get the debuff once until it wears off
    Guild - The Imaginary Friends
    We are searching for slave labor, will pay with food from our farm!
  • jkr1269jkr1269 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 22 Arc User
    Thank you for ruining yet another class. All the hard work and effort we put into building up our toons and you decide to destroy them in one swift blow. My OP pally will become basically useless. You really need to look at making 2 separate skill trees. 1 for PVE and 1 for PVP so you can quit destroying classes by trying to balance PVP. D&D is not a PVP game.
  • thestiathestia Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 296 Arc User
    scathias said:

amenar said:

right now on live you get a 5% debuff or something a divine divine glow whether you cast it once or three times. this change makes it so that it is clear you will only get the debuff once until it wears off
    Devs have known for a while that divine Divine Glow didn't stack. Nothing will change in practice, but honestly, saying that it wasn't ever supposed to stack is a bit silly. I'm pretty sure this stems from the desire to cut back on buffs, rather than a "tooltip fix".

I'm just waiting for the ITF nerf that will bring it's buff down to the 80% DR cap instead of exceeding it by however far you can push it, which seems reasonable. I will miss the big numbers though.
  • klangeddinklangeddin Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 882 Arc User
    edited April 2016
    thestia said:

scathias said:

amenar said:

Devs have known for a while that divine Divine Glow didn't stack. Nothing will change in practice, but honestly, saying that it wasn't ever supposed to stack is a bit silly. I'm pretty sure this stems from the desire to cut back on buffs, rather than a "tooltip fix".

I'm just waiting for the ITF nerf that will bring it's buff down to the 80% DR cap instead of exceeding it by however far you can push it, which seems reasonable. I will miss the big numbers though.
    If I have to take a guess, it's going to be revised and be much lower than that possible 80% damage increase. They'll probably switch it to a defense to power (point per point) switch instead. So you get more damage yeah but you also lose DR in the process...
  • eliybeatseliybeats Member Posts: 186 Arc User
    edited April 2016
    I hope that this is true. While I love playing my DC I just dislike the fact that Everyone wants a Haste DC. It gets boring to grant haste and spam Sunburst. It gets boring to Debuff. I feel like while it will help the DC become a healer again in this game, I feel like the demand for a Haste DC could be slightly greater in certain situations. While the Faithful is already a great clutch healer, an healing op could still be in greater demand than it. Maybe I'm wrong. Is the a way to slightly buff the Faithful tree of the devoted cleric? Or maybe some of it's passive abilities? Maybe that is a bit too much to ask. Just wanted to know

thestia said:

scathias said:

amenar said:

If I have to take a guess, it's going to be revised and be much lower than that possible 80% damage increase. They'll probably switch it to a defense to power (point per point) switch instead. So you get more damage yeah but you also lose DR in the process...
    They aren't switching it to a defensive power because the whole rational behind ITF was to give GFs a buff to make grinding dailies easier.
    I8r4ux9.jpg
  • shadowslave604shadowslave604 Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    OK Happy Dance time my OP didnt get hit with the nerf hammer to hard.
    Dont get me wrong SoF is gonna suck at 12 seconds but i can live with that.

My DevoOP Power/Crit/AP gain build is mostly ok and untouched as of yet.
    Running Greater Lathander Set so no worries about ELol set either.

I feel ya BubbleOP's...Sorry if this makes it to live as is

Shadowslave604

RELAPSEGuild

Darsyus Dawnblade - Human Female - Paladin - Main 22k ilvl
    Grunnarch the Red - DragonBorn Male - Barbarian
    Shazglar Swifthunter - Half Orc Female - Ranger
    Shynt'Drin Do'Urden - Drow Male - Rogue
    Fari - Human Female - Wizard
    Tisha SwornHeart - Tiefling Female - Warlock
    Brom Bloodeye - Dwarf Male - Fighter
    Luna Starshine - Halfling Female - Cleric
  • aaramis75aaramis75 Member Posts: 348 Arc User
    2 questions:

1 - as the survivability of the Paladin has been diminished, are there any plans for the dps to be improved? Previously, it was clear that Guardian had the better dps, but Paladin had the invincibility. Now, Guardian may have both.

2 - with such sweeping changes to classes, and as many have put a lot of time and effort into a class that ... may suddenly not be fun anymore, are there any plans to allow for a 1-time class change?
    aaramis75 said:

2 questions:

1 - as the survivability of the Paladin has been diminished, are there any plans for the dps to be improved? Previously, it was clear that Guardian had the better dps, but Paladin had the invincibility. Now, Guardian may have both.

2 - with such sweeping changes to classes, and as many have put a lot of time and effort into a class that ... may suddenly not be fun anymore, are there any plans to allow for a 1-time class change?

PWE never compensates players in any way for nerfs aside from a free respec.
    I8r4ux9.jpg
  • adinosiiadinosii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,294 Arc User
    edited April 2016
    I am happy with those changes...good riddance to permabubble paladins. Now many people will actually have to think in dungeons and avoid red areas on the ground instead of happily ignoring them, confident that their "bubbladin" will keep them alive.

Combined with the Lostmauth set change the PvE content will be less trivial than it is now....and that is a good thing. People need a challenge.

Anyhow...two out of three ain't bad...only the bugged bonding runestones now remain of my top-3 issues.

Those changes are good and needed.
    Post edited by adinosii on
    Hoping for improvements...
  • micky1p00micky1p00 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,594 Arc User
    Good change, the perma bubble had to go.