test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Who would be interested in an Art Dev stream?

strumslingerstrumslinger Member, NW_CrypticDev, Cryptic Developer Posts: 1,724 Cryptic Developer
Hey guys,

I've been seeing a lot of positive comments on the art dev blogs and I was wondering if there was any interest in having an art dev stream?

I'm not sure of the details, but maybe have a few of them talk about their processes and show the backend of creating things. Might also be good for those who are trying to become an artist in the game industry. Any ideas for this are welcome.

Let me know!

Call me Andy (or Strum, or Spider-Man)!
Follow Neverwinter on Twitter: NeverwinterGame 
Like Neverwinter on Facebook: Neverwinter

Follow me on Twitter: StrumSlinger

Comments

• kreatyvekreatyve Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 10,545 Community Moderator
    I'd love this, but I have a feeling they wouldn't be able to show everything that I would want to see.
    My opinions are my own. I do not work for PWE or Cryptic. - Forum Rules - Protector's Enclave Discord - I play on Xbox
    Any of my comments not posted in orange are based on my own personal opinion and not official.
    Any messages written in orange are official moderation messages. Signature images are now fixed!
    kuI2v8l.png
  • wildfiredewildfirede Member Posts: 886 Arc User
    edited March 2016
    +1, Would love to see how a day of the live of the art guys looks like - impressed with levels/art in the game, maybe some concept art, some muse talk and so on...

Edit: Or make a "In the studio" video, with a short walkthru the offices, workplaces and some Q&A with the guys, you know like the Witcher team and so on, imo that would be even more content rich, and we can see the places the magic is happening. (Stream would be full of questions not designed for the Artists anyway)
    Post edited by wildfirede on
    Please fix Zhentarim Warlock companion's skill "Arcane Warping" to the originally intended "Arcane Boost"
    zhentarim-warlock-companion

Pure -> Transcendent Plague Fire weapon enchantment giving 80damge/20 seconds for 500k+ AD is a joke.
    plague-fire-weapon-enchant-r11-vs-r12
  • micky1p00micky1p00 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,594 Arc User
    I would like to see one, I think some of the animations are well done, like the snail and tenser shaders and it will be nice to see.
  • thefabricantthefabricant Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 5,248 Arc User
  • duurduur Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 112 Arc User
    I think I would enjoy this.... quite a lot
    Play for fun, Work to get rich, These two are not compatible!
  • putzboy78putzboy78 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,950 Arc User
    I would enjoy it if it releases some positive news about bringing back some old gear transmutes, maybe some fashion updates, and the research that goes into making fashion that is consistent with the franchise. If we are just going to talk about mood lighting in dungeons, I'll pass. Neverwinter is already a good looking game, I'd much rather see additions to the game not reworks.
  • zach#3177 zach Member Posts: 35 Arc User
    I like this idea. I really enjoyed the posts on creating Demogorgon, Baphomet, and Orcus.
  • ilmenirailmenira Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 269 Arc User
    me, please! :)
  • ryoshinetteryoshinette Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 488 Arc User
    I would excited about devs vs players pvp stream. That would be something great.
    Ryoshin GF (4.2k)
    .Suicide Squad.

• duryntedurynte Member Posts: 132 Arc User
    I find the frequency and content of announcements, letters, dev blogs and in general outgoing communication quite good as is right now. If anything, instead of responding to "we want more communication!, you're doing it all wrong!, we want fixes!!, ASAP!!!, yesterday!!11" I wish for having those assigend to work on it, just work on it as undisturbed as possible.

If am not mistaken, the improvement on outgoing communication is also due to you, strumslinger. Albeit that change on tradebars with minimum time window announcement wasn't ermm perfect to say the least, but that might have been not in your departement. So anyways, here is my pseudonymaly personal little Thank You, to you strumslinger, for your efforts put into all of this.

Oh, I sometimes forget to answer the question on topic in a straight manner: Not any time soon again. When something new is coming up, yes, appreciated.

Sincerely
  • tassedethe13tassedethe13 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 806 Arc User
    edited March 2016
    No thanks, we are still waiting for another Q&A on the live.

And btw, http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/neverwinter#/discussion/1212639/we-want-double-ad, please consider this for the community objective for mod 9, thanks.
  • blinxonblinxon Member Posts: 567 Arc User
    Atm i dont want to see a vid with you strumslinger. Sry for that, but your last stream in CN made me so angry and mad at you, that i need a break from watching streams hear/see you.
    But i will share this thread with my guildmates. Maybe some one will response here. Good luck anyway.
  • strumslingerstrumslinger Member, NW_CrypticDev, Cryptic Developer Posts: 1,724 Cryptic Developer
    blinxon said:

Atm i dont want to see a vid with you strumslinger. Sry for that, but your last stream in CN made me so angry and mad at you, that i need a break from watching streams hear/see you.
    But i will share this thread with my guildmates. Maybe some one will response here. Good luck anyway.

Kinda rude, but I can see why you'd be mad. I was also mad after that stream. You can ask the mods.

Even so, these streams aren't about me, especially this prospective one.

• strumslingerstrumslinger Member, NW_CrypticDev, Cryptic Developer Posts: 1,724 Cryptic Developer

No thanks, we are still waiting for another Q&A on the live.

And btw, http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/neverwinter#/discussion/1212639/we-want-double-ad, please consider this for the community objective for mod 9, thanks.

Yup, working on it!

• beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    Yeah, I actually would be interested in seeing some of the process. I can kind of understand from the description and images in the blogs, but I'd be really curious to actually see one of the artists in the process of sculpting their model and suchlike.

Good luck getting the viewers to stay on topic and not just endlessly whine about "fix my issue, me me ME" and "when are you doing the giveaway?' though.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • wildfiredewildfirede Member Posts: 886 Arc User
    a little oot but from my post that was locked some cm decided that its a personal flame at you - you are a pr working for the company noone can blame you for trying to run the stream as it goes on. My problem was a with the developers or QA for not having a working first boss 2 weeks before release. Maybe you had no other option but to run a unfamiliar char maybe you stopped playing and so on ( with the lack of content noone can blame you on that). But you saved the show as you could. But i think that a video of the studio with your comments and questions to the artists would be more insightfull than a livestream infront of some posters and spam in the chat about wards.
    Please fix Zhentarim Warlock companion's skill "Arcane Warping" to the originally intended "Arcane Boost"
    zhentarim-warlock-companion

Pure -> Transcendent Plague Fire weapon enchantment giving 80damge/20 seconds for 500k+ AD is a joke.
    plague-fire-weapon-enchant-r11-vs-r12
  • regenerderegenerde Member Posts: 3,046 Arc User
    edited March 2016
    No, thank you.
    Post edited by regenerde on
    I do believe in killing the messenger...
    Want to know why?
    Because it sends a message!
  • iandarkswordiandarksword Member Posts: 978 Arc User
    Variety is good. I'm sure as long as a giveaway is mentioned on social media, people will show. Some will be interested in the stream material, others in the giveaway, but that seems the case with most streams these days. Nothing wrong with showing a different facet of the process the game goes through.
    "I don't know, I'm making it up as I go..."
    Featured Foundry Quest: Whispers of an Ancient Evil [v3] - NW-DQ4WKW6ZG
    Foundry Quest: Harper Chronicles: Blacklake - NW-DCPA4W2Q5
    I'd like to clarify that artists are separate from a lot of the stream suggestions you guys want. They cannot answer questions about major problems in the game, bugs or anything of the matter. We use "dev" as an umbrella term, but at the end of the day, they all specialize in something. Are we going to ask a character animator to fix the GWF bug? No.

This is merely a topic on interest for ART only; not what you'd rather see instead.

• ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator

blinxon said:

Kinda rude, but I can see why you'd be mad. I was also mad after that stream. You can ask the mods.

I am pretty sure it took all the effort you and the Dev could muster to keep calm during the stream itself.

I guess you both did a better job hiding the frustrations than I had thought.

Mistakes were made. Murphy wreaked havoc. Lessons were learned.

But yeah guys, I promise Andy was very disappointed with that stream. The only reason it might not have been apparent to viewers is because Andy took the cards he was dealt and made the best out of a really bad situation. I don't think anybody is quite as upset with the results as Andy was so telling him you were upset with the stream is truly preaching to the choir. ;)
  • hustin1hustin1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,462 Arc User
    I'd be interested in watching it; it's a side of game development that we rarely see.
    Harper Chronicles: Cap Snatchers (RELEASED) - NW-DPUTABC6X
    Blood Magic (RELEASED) - NW-DUU2P7HCO
    Children of the Fey (RELEASED) - NW-DKSSAPFPF
    Buried Under Blacklake (WIP) - NW-DEDV2PAEP
    The Redcap Rebels (WIP) - NW-DO23AFHFH
    My Foundry playthrough channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Ruskaga/featured
  • twoedge1twoedge1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 79 Arc User
    It sounds like a good idea. It would be interesting hearing about the tools used and the process in general.
  • blinxonblinxon Member Posts: 567 Arc User

Sry if i was rude. I believe you where mad too after the run. But i expected a bit more. For example: We tried Orcur a lot of times and in every try ( all in our grp are almost BIS from 3,5k to 4,1k) he one shots our tank. Doest matter if it was a OP with bubble or a GF with steeldefense. Orcus just one shotted them. I was hoping when you see the same in your vid you will give this information to a dev. But i dont find any response if the devs know this thing. If they know it and i missed this, than plz take my apologize. I was so excited to see CN from your perspektive and i was so excited what you will do against this one shot from Orcus. And all i saw was your oneshot makro and god mode....i dont think regular grps got theese skills, strum. Sry.
    But ur right. My post was really kinda rude. Sry for that.
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    I personally love one shot mechanics if the option to avoid them are there.

In a situation where it was pretty obvious the group was not performing well it's hard to give a perspective on the content. The first boss was bugged. The group comp was horrible. Andy was on a completely unfamiliar and sub-par build. And the group just wasn't doing enough damage.

The only thing that could be figured out from that run was to discard it as a fluke and see how the other groups performed. Seriously the live streams have to be the last place the developers look to see how content is performing. The preview forums and the internal tests are the place the developers look but they also will not respond right away as they do have to track data as people learn tactics.

There has never been a module released that somebody doesn't say it is impossibly hard except, possibly, Module 1. ;)

In any case that topic is all fine and dandy but the real discussion here is supposed to be regarding whether or not we want a stream done with the art devs and if so what would you like them to talk about?
  • silverkeltsilverkelt Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,235 Arc User
    a double AD would gaurantee the zax hits 500 and stays there for weeks at least.

your all way too shortsighted, thinking double AD helps anyone at this time.. sure they dont really care about us (hence removal of wards, even though our economy was fine) so they might grant it to you if you scream loud enough.. but you dont really want it.. not with mounts coming out.. its better if we can keep it in the 400's at least.

• tassedethe13tassedethe13 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 806 Arc User
    it will rise to 500 with or without double AD, ALL the players will need mounts/insignas etc...
  • thefabricantthefabricant Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 5,248 Arc User
    The question is would you or would you not appreciate an art dev stream, not would you like some other dev stream or an art dev stream. Whilst I would like one of those other dev streams, we are being offered an art dev stream and I am going to take what is available instead of complaining about what isn't here. We never see art dev streams, so this will be unique and interesting I feel :)
  • schietindebuxschietindebux Member Posts: 4,292 Arc User
    edited March 2016

I'd like to clarify that artists are separate from a lot of the stream suggestions you guys want. They cannot answer questions about major problems in the game, bugs or anything of the matter. We use "dev" as an umbrella term, but at the end of the day, they all specialize in something. Are we going to ask a character animator to fix the GWF bug? No.

This is merely a topic on interest for ART only; not what you'd rather see instead.

hm, the last problem I have in this game is arts and visuals , since I am not the "visual one" that runs arround in pretty coats, or is waiting for new dyes to mix them with each other
    we can ask the character animator to punish the GF for being so rude in PVP...give him a big butt, make him look ugly
    wisely chosen topic :)
    I play this game for it´s combat system most time, it´s fun
  • rollingonitrollingonit Member Posts: 1,322 Arc User
    I think itd be cool for D&D and art fans. Not for me, but Ill vote yes for them.

Are there any other options to choose from or is this a yes or no question.
    We can pretend.
    Fox Stevenson - Sandblast
    Oh Wonder - Without You

Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
    - Dylan Thomas
    I'm just gauging interest first. Nothing set at all. I figure it'd just be something different that some may enjoy.