test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Outdated Campaign Awards

smalltownhicksmalltownhick Member Posts: 12 Arc User
I just wanted to say how weak some of the campaign awards are. This is throughout the game but especially with pre-mod 6 modules. For example a Tyranny of Dragons campaign award is the Mantle of the Zhentarim which is nowhere near as good as the Cloak of the Emissary of Neverwinter
which you get for free at level 70. I'm sure there are other examples.

Comments

• Options
    zibadawazibadawa Member Posts: 1,266 Arc User
    Yeah, they're kind of bad at updating things. Consider them as skinning fodder.
  • Options
    rickcase276rickcase276 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,404 Arc User
    And those from the Tyranny of Dragons are basically just transmutes anyway.
  • Options
    arabaturarabatur Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 778 Arc User
    I would posit that the Dev's are to busy doing new stuff and that the old is forgotten. This is unlikely to change.
    Definitely not an Arc User.
  • Options
    scathiasscathias Member Posts: 1,174 Arc User

I just wanted to say how weak some of the campaign awards are. This is throughout the game but especially with pre-mod 6 modules. For example a Tyranny of Dragons campaign award is the Mantle of the Zhentarim which is nowhere near as good as the Cloak of the Emissary of Neverwinter
    which you get for free at level 70. I'm sure there are other examples.

the Emissary cloak is actually a lv 70 reward. the ToD cloaks are able to be gotten starting at lv 26 and so they have stats to match. Overall, like others have said, they were intended mainly as unique transmutes
    Guild - The Imaginary Friends
    We are searching for slave labor, will pay with food from our farm!
  • Options
    darkstarcrashdarkstarcrash Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,382 Arc User
    Yes, ignore the stats on the cloaks, they are primarily for transmute purposes.
  • Options
    kemnimtarkaskemnimtarkas Member Posts: 838 Arc User
    I think the devs think of this as pre-level 70 gear. If you start ToD quests as soon as you can (level 30) you are most likely going to reach the artifact stage before you reach level 70. At level 70, those cloaks are purely for looks - or you can just discard them. But pre-level 70, they are not too bad, at a given level.

That said, to your larger point I completely agree. The rewards for Dread Ring and Sharandar in particular are pretty lame now, and you have to struggle through glitch fests to earn them much of the time. Were it not for the boons on offer (ie., Endless Consumption from Sharandar, etc) no one would do those anymore.

And who knows? They may nerf the affect of EoC with Mod 9 (as was hinted in the last Dev Note), in which case Sharandar may become grist only for the obsessive - compulsive types who are compelled to have to finish every quest line.
  • Options
    Agreed, the Mantle of the Zhentarim for example is a level 59 item (basically worthless), and I just used it for a transmute. I would guess that not many players at that level can handle Well of Dragons unless they are paying for their gear. When mod 6 came out my TR was already partway through the Dragons campaign. At level 60 my TR was getting killed nearly every time I ventured out for a quest in WoD. I finally gave up and waited until I got to 70.

This is a bit off topic but I would also love to see some new pre-epic content. I might be willing to start a new character if I didn't have to do the same old content over again.
  • Options
    kreatyvekreatyve Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 10,545 Community Moderator
    Several of these are being updated with Maze Engine. Have you read the patch notes? :D
    My opinions are my own. I do not work for PWE or Cryptic. - Forum Rules - Protector's Enclave Discord - I play on Xbox
    Any of my comments not posted in orange are based on my own personal opinion and not official.
    Any messages written in orange are official moderation messages. Signature images are now fixed!
    kuI2v8l.png
  • Options
    zibadawazibadawa Member Posts: 1,266 Arc User

I think the devs think of this as pre-level 70 gear. If you start ToD quests as soon as you can (level 30) you are most likely going to reach the artifact stage before you reach level 70. At level 70, those cloaks are purely for looks - or you can just discard them. But pre-level 70, they are not too bad, at a given level.

That said, to your larger point I completely agree. The rewards for Dread Ring and Sharandar in particular are pretty lame now, and you have to struggle through glitch fests to earn them much of the time. Were it not for the boons on offer (ie., Endless Consumption from Sharandar, etc) no one would do those anymore.

And who knows? They may nerf the affect of EoC with Mod 9 (as was hinted in the last Dev Note), in which case Sharandar may become grist only for the obsessive - compulsive types who are compelled to have to finish every quest line.

Why do people keep thinking Endless Consumption is from Sharandar?

People who have no clue about even the most basic things about the boon (or anything else) should not be opining about it.
  • Options
    @kreatyve I had not read through the patch notes for Maze Engine. They are very extensive but it does look like they have done a few things to address out of date area campaign rewards, i.e. lowering Iliyanbruen items required levels from 70 to 61, etc. but I still contend that going into Sharandar or Dread Ring at level 61 most players would get pwned so making them available to lower level players seems pointless.

Nothing in the patch notes leads me to believe that I would see new or improved content when starting as a new level 1 character.
  • Options
    kreatyvekreatyve Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 10,545 Community Moderator
    edited March 2016

@kreatyve I had not read through the patch notes for Maze Engine. They are very extensive but it does look like they have done a few things to address out of date area campaign rewards, i.e. lowering Iliyanbruen items required levels from 70 to 61, etc. but I still contend that going into Sharandar or Dread Ring at level 61 most players would get pwned so making them available to lower level players seems pointless.

Nothing in the patch notes leads me to believe that I would see new or improved content when starting as a new level 1 character.

You can no longer go into any of the 4 campaign zones until level 70 unless you have already been there previously, so you don't really have the problem of being pwned at level 61. This was changed a long time ago.
    Post edited by kreatyve on
    My opinions are my own. I do not work for PWE or Cryptic. - Forum Rules - Protector's Enclave Discord - I play on Xbox
    Any of my comments not posted in orange are based on my own personal opinion and not official.
    Any messages written in orange are official moderation messages. Signature images are now fixed!
    kuI2v8l.png
  • Options
    darkstarcrashdarkstarcrash Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,382 Arc User
    I think the point of lowering the required character level on campaign gear is for gearing alts during their journey from 60 - 70 (I assume the gear is BoA).

But it doesn't help totally new players, or people who only play one character.
  • Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User

I think the point of lowering the required character level on campaign gear is for gearing alts during their journey from 60 - 70 (I assume the gear is BoA).

Yes, it is. All these items are being made scaling and bound to account and having AD costs stripped, as part of the efforts to make the game more alt-friendly.

If you only play one character, then you'll be earning Alliance/Drowcraft gear before you likely had sufficient campaign currency to look at any of the campaign armors anyway. I don't think that's really a problem.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • Options
    urlord283urlord283 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,084 Arc User
    edited March 2016
    I like the newly announced end game stuff