test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

NPC Idol: Round 22 (Jarlaxle vs. Lord Neverember)

strumslingerstrumslinger Member, NW_CrypticDev, Cryptic Developer Posts: 1,724 Cryptic Developer
edited February 2016 in General Discussion (PC)
Two characters straight from the Forgotten Realms! Who will take it?

Call me Andy (or Strum, or Spider-Man)!
Follow Neverwinter on Twitter: NeverwinterGame 
Like Neverwinter on Facebook: Neverwinter

Follow me on Twitter: StrumSlinger

NPC Idol: Round 22 (Jarlaxle vs. Lord Neverember) 66 votes

Jarlaxle
34%
kacezetzebularluccamexfreddokreatyveambisinisterrkolatmasterhyakusekaimute209two30timepalacewylonusclonkyo1joenettlesaettthornmardok2award9dumdragonadinosiiulviel 23 votes
Lord Neverember
65%
sockmunkeyblazious11sorce#8115urabaskdefiantone99tvcityessentibeckylunaticdrkbodhichartos#6469putzboy78rickcase276umschecallofkutuluduurdarkstarcrashvjarlverdonix1consustesmiserinha 43 votes

Comments

• beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    Lord Neverember
    Jarlaxle is strictly a name-drop who fills no role in Neverwinter that could not be handled by any generic NPC, and I don't care how fancy his hat is.

**spelling
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • two30two30 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,168 Arc User
    Jarlaxle
    Notwithstanding the lovely work done producing the Jubilee speech, Lord Neverember is a bog-standard Middle-Aged Slimy Politician Man and the creep keeps sending me mail. So I'm voting for the mannequin in a fancy hat.
    Neverwinter Tools for evaluating boons, mounts, dyes, etc.
  • ulvielulviel Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 741 Arc User
    Jarlaxle
    That was tough one. But Neverember is a politician, and Jarlaxle is at least honest about being a bas.... I mean caring more about profit than moral values.
  • plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,338 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    Lord Neverember
    Lord gave me gifts to vote for him.
    Jarlaxle only gives me work to do without good pay.
    Post edited by plasticbat on
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • zach#3177 zach Member Posts: 35 Arc User
    Lord Neverember
    I like R.A. Salvatore's character Jarlaxle, but Lord Neverember is a bigger part of Neverwinter Online.
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    Jarlaxle
    But Lord Neverember is incorrectly characterized. He's supposed to be a villain.

I don't care how they wrote him in the game. I still await the day they correct their wrongs and let us kill the arrogant self centered fool. Let us join the Nashers and kill the ruthless dictator.
  • sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    Lord Neverember
    Like most villains, he wont get far.

Knox is gonna clean his clock next round.
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    Lord Neverember

But Lord Neverember is incorrectly characterized. He's supposed to be a villain.

I don't care how they wrote him in the game. I still await the day they correct their wrongs and let us kill the arrogant self centered fool. Let us join the Nashers and kill the ruthless dictator.

I vehemently disagree that Neverember is mischaracterized. We just mostly get to see his "hail and well met!" public persona, and only get hints around the edges that he's not the person he wants people to see. Wilfred practically tells us as much with his dying breath when he sends us to Knox... "One of the good ones." Our journal entries hint at stuff being up, and just how astray much of the current rule of Neverwinter has gone. Neverember is a pompous blowhard when he speaks for any length of time. I think it's *really* well done.

And the Nashers are a bunch of violent hooligans taking their agenda out on the common folk. Supporting them is supporting murder and theft.

Edit: Keep in mind that we're no under instructions to vote for who we think is the best person, but who we think is the best character. And I think that the writing of Neverember as a scheming self-interested man in a position of power has been handled well. Jarlaxle is a hatstand.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited February 2016
    Jarlaxle
    What do you call someone who takes over a city for his own profit? Who floods the streets with mercenaries and fills the coffers of the crooked? Who lies about his claim to the throne? Who crushes protest, and who sends the sick off to die? You'd never call that man Lord of your city! Neverember is no Lord of Neverwinter! Fight the occupation! Death to the Pretender!

Lore Spoiler:
    In actual D&D Source Material, Lord Neverember is indeed an antagonist and there's even "what happens if the players kill Lord Neverember" scenarios. Lord Neverember is indeed a villain, and a pretender. He is not the true heir to the Neverwinter throne. The Nashers, as they are now, are n majority no better. They have long since been corrupted. Only a small amount remain true to the original cause and want to actually see a rightful heir sit on the throne again.
This discussion has been closed.