test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Are people moving away from big MMOs?

2»

Comments

• silverkeltsilverkelt Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,235 Arc User
    Even though elements of modern mmos are much better then some of the older ones, not everything is.

I COULD swim in everquest.. underwater, and it had a breath meter. Trivial? sort of, though they had some underwater enemies in it.

In lotro, they had stunning day/night cycles, a vast VAST wardrobe, you could save hundreds of outfits, once you bought a special thing or item, you could keep it forever if you wanted to.

Frankly, I came to neverwinter, because it was the best casual mmo I could find, I was burnt out on overgrind , the whole raid concept and the dozens of hours a week prepping your classes for them and well after 3-4 or 5 years in those type of games, it was time to move on.

I really loved neverwinter for a long time and TRUST me Ive looked around at other current ones, as much as I HATE some of the stuff neverwinter has done, some of these other games are cheesy grind walls /pay walls as well (Im willing to spend as much as I would on cable on a game, BUT not anymore then that..

The latest scifi one I just played, had neat concepts, but the combat sucked.. SUCKED.
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    drkbodhi wrote: »
    Honestly, out of all the MMOs I have ever played... which the count is close to 20... the player-base in NW is probably the most intelligent, imaginative and curious of all. Kudos to so many well thought out and expressed ideas.

I think that you can probably thank the combination of Foundry and the D&D IP for drawing in players who wouldn't have normally looked at an MMO. Different demographics.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    drkbodhi wrote: »
    Honestly, out of all the MMOs I have ever played... which the count is close to 20... the player-base in NW is probably the most intelligent, imaginative and curious of all. Kudos to so many well thought out and expressed ideas.

I think that you can probably thank the combination of Foundry and the D&D IP for drawing in players who wouldn't have normally looked at an MMO. Different demographics.
    I think this is very true. Sadly a lot of mmo's have switched to war against other players rather than war against the enemies. If you look at some games it's a never ending war between casuals, raiders, pvpers etc. There is actually less of that here surprisingly.
  • eldartheldarth Member Posts: 4,494 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    Well some of what I read here makes since. Others do not. The first game to be called an MMORPG did not have any group rewards. The rewards for being in a group was having fun with your friends. You had ZERO benefits. Hell there was not even any holly trinity back then. There was damage and that was it. MAYBE you and another friend can chain bandage each other. As you had an decrease of heal time when bandaging someone else but anyone who was properly trained in bandages could use them.

Umm? I'm not sure what "first" MMO you are describing (UO perhaps? c.1997), but Meridian59 (THE first MMO c.1996) did indeed have 3 different factions, and guilds as well - of which you could even design your guild logo, and did not have any crafting at all.

• MiseryMisery Member Posts: 146 Arc User
    starbigamo wrote: »
    Misery wrote: »
    My experience is, I am not much of a gamer, NW is actually my first MMO buuuuuuuuuuut I've noticed a very funny trend in modern games. There are so many pre-purchases/early accesses/beta or even alpha versions of any kind of games which often don't even make it too far in development progress and often infested with bugs affecting players' experience greatly. People must be simply getting dissapointed with video games as it is.
    As for my experience in NW, well...I just moved back to browser MMO I played before NW (NW is my very first "big" mmo experience) which is not as stressful and time consuming. Not leaving NW completely and still doing my leadership tasks on 52 characters for AD I "might" need in next modules.

Time consuming? you have 52 chars cause you wanted it, By no means i would EVER do that. I play just my main, make my dailies and i am here since open beta. :)

Not stressful at all.

The worst part of the game imo is just the TENACITY <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> that splited the game in 2 and the broken servers, other than that i still enjoy the game a lot, sometimes i take a break but i ALWAYS come back.

And finally Cryptic did something right with the VIP format! :)
    Well, we all choose to gimp ourselves in our own ways, some fall for grind and they find it stressful, some do not and just chill in the game. I lvl'd those leadership chars just to keep up with the rest and somewha sustain BiS status for my char. And believe me, in browser mmo I played before I didn't have to bother as much as I did here :P
    3.8k PvP SW.
  • bagoatbagoat Member Posts: 171 Arc User
    IMO the biggest detriment to any MMO, over time, is its forums.
    Trying to get new players, when new players inevitably visit the games forums, after said game has been out for a while is very hard. The reason being is that, over time, all MMO forums get congested with 'complaint threads'. While the complaints may be well founded, they may or may not affect everyone. Many, many times I have read threads where people are very upset about a certain thing. This thing, however, never affected me in the least. Does that mean their complaint is unfounded? No. BUT, it never affects me so to ME and my gaming experience, it's irrelevant.
    So, over time, you have a forum full of people complaining about things that may NEVER affect the new player reading the thread.
    Now, one might say "If so many people are complaining about a thing, doesn't that mean their is a serious problem?" Maybe. BUT, what percent of the games population does their forum represent? If a game has a million players, I think one would find that the number of unique players that post on forums is very, very small.

TL;DR Anytime I recommend an MMO to a friend I warn them to only ever visit the forums if they absolutely must and then take everything with a grain of salt.
  • aasaomega#7792 aasaomega Member Posts: 2 New User
    edited September 2015
    Back in the day you'd buy a game and it was yours it never had to be tied to the internet, now games are forcing people like me who enjoy playing solo to basically play online. I'm getting used to it, I still prefer to play solo whilst technically being forced to be online with others.

Look at Diablo III it forced you to be online to play, when it first came out I paid like $65 thinking it was like Diablo II that I could just play, lo and behold the game isn't really mine... If they'd ever tire of it they could just shut it down and I'd lose all my hard work. I think Diablo II had it right sort of anyway, you bought it and it was yours you weren't really forced to be online unless you chose to be.

Look at WoW the game is so old, I think people continue for mainly nostalgia they've gotten so high and put in so much they feel trapped. WoW isn't a bad game for its age but I swear it seems like every year there's a new EP to buy, I don't mind buying but I want to feel like its truly mine, with a $15 a month sub I don't have that feeling of owning ya know? Also I never understood the point of WoW even being sold in stores yes its pretty and all for those avid collectors but one day Blizz will pull the plug and the box will just be like a statue to collect some dust.

EA is another cash cow I'm a big fan of The Sims and I could clearly see overtime how the games were becoming barebones, these companies take out vital parts that were in previously or should be in with the intent to turn around and make a buck off of it, its sickening.

I think people hate feeling constantly marketed to.

I would like to see a game that doesn't punish solo players, for instance most games make it easier to level if you're in a party honestly again I prefer solo. As for cash shops I don't mind cash shops as long as its not a pay to win sort of thing then again I miss the days before all this cash shop junk. I'd like to see more mmos selling the full game and maybe a few EPs at full price and not this subscription or pay to win cash shop junk.

The games of today have become less of a personal possession of the players to find fulfillment, now they're not being sold complete you never truly own the games the companies can pull the plug at any time and you'll lose it all.

I wish gaming wasn't solely based on marketing and money making for the company, money isn't a bad thing its needed, but back then companies seemed to actually put their players wants and needs first... Now it's just money...

I remember playing a game called Pristontale, me and my brother would literally stay up all night and take turns with each other each playing an hour to see if we could get our character to level 60. Yes the game wasn't ours but back during this period it was free and fun, I don't even think they had a cash shop I think it was just a thing where you could donate. Anyway we worked for so long well over a year to get to the level cap at the time which was level 60, and we absolutely loved the game then all of a sudden Pristontale became pay to play... Me and my brother were utterly heart broken, I wouldn't mind donating if I could or whatever but knowing the game would be subbed was too much. Basically we had a little thing where we said goodbye to our first and only high level capped character because back then if you wanted to level it was a grind it wasn't easy like it is today. We left Pristontale and oddly they switched to free to play we played some more, then I think they did p2p again, then its cash shop... Again I don't like being tricked or marketed to.

It's 5am so I hope this post doesn't seem too long or like I'm rambling on...

Tldr, - I miss the days when I could actually own the game, players weren't forced to be tied to the web. I miss the days before all this cash shop pay to win junk. I miss the days before games forcing a subscription, pay once to buy the game in full and be done.
This discussion has been closed.