test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Why disallow large guilds?

Comments

• ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    The more people you have working the more communication becomes an issue. And that's in house communication I am referring to.

Every supervisors meeting I attend at my job has a key theme of communication being the thing most needed to improve. I mean months ago I got told to do something by one of my bosses and followed the steps I was taught to do in the situation I was handed only to find out from my direct boss the policies had changed after I had been working on it for five hours. My boss' boss was furious and wanted me written up for wasting time and money until my boss calmed him down and explained that changes were not communicated to me and that I followed the procedures exactly as she would have expected me to a month earlier than the incident.

Teamwork is one thing but the telephone effect is a major issue. The more people there are the more is lost in translation and transmission. It's far easier to keep everybody on the same page and in the same loop when there are only 10 people compared to at my job where just my department alone has over one hundred.

When put into perspective it is easy to understand why something which has to go through so many people within two companies can be overlooked, forgotten or just be incomplete.
  • aimeesellersaimeesellers Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 342 Arc User
    "And the trees are all kept equal... by hatchet... axe... and saw."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnC88xBPkkc
    A'Mie Stormshield (GF) / A'Mie Stormshard (CW)
    Play Legit or Quit
    PandorasMisfits_Logo_175_zpskpytcqxc.png
    Pandora's Misfits Guild Leader
  • kolatmasterkolatmaster Member Posts: 3,111 Arc User
    An actual time frame to adjust things would have been nice... I also, as yet, don't honestly see a reason this had to be 'immediate'. Either way, we will adapt, though this is pretty annoying.
    va8Ru.gif
  • championshewolfchampionshewolf Member Posts: 601 Arc User
    An actual time frame to adjust things would have been nice... I also, as yet, don't honestly see a reason this had to be 'immediate'. Either way, we will adapt, though this is pretty annoying.

Probably because the underlying changes have to be already there for it to work when its launched. But then again, I also don't understand why people keep people on a roster that don't play anymore either. But that's me. Stronghold's seems to be close to launching.
  • kvetkvet Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,700 Arc User
    Probably because the underlying changes have to be already there for it to work when its launched. But then again, I also don't understand why people keep people on a roster that don't play anymore either. But that's me. Stronghold's seems to be close to launching.

I give it a AT LEAST a month, maybe two. And even if what you said is true - fine - but the could have still given us some notice. Just tell us about it now, and say it will go into effect a two weeks before m7 launches, but we're not yet announcing a release date at this time. We might grouse an moan about it, but we wouldn't have been slapped in the face with frozen guilds.

By the way - again - most big guilds DO NOT keep people around on their rosters who don't play anymore. My guild hit the 500 limit, for example, weekly before module 6 - we had between 475 and 500 ACTIVE players in the guild. Active. Anyone who had not logged into the game in the last 6 weeks or 42 days is considered inactive and I removed that character from the guild. I keep a list of all characters and their ranks at the time kicked and they were allowed back into the guild if they returned no questions asked.
  • championshewolfchampionshewolf Member Posts: 601 Arc User
    And there is no problem. Your guild is not forced offline or anything you don't lose membership. And there is nothing wrong, if you were already at the cap, then this change really had no effect on you because you couldn't invite more anyways. You are not exempt from any of the stronghold stuff or PvP stuff.

Again what is the real issue? No feature was turned off, other than your ability to invite now, which, by your statement, was inactive anyways since you were at cap. So again, where does the actual problem lie, not the fundamental one where you feel slighted.
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited June 2015
    I feel that some just didn't realize there was already a cap in place and decided to use that article mention to fuel some forum rage. The only change is the cap to the number of different accounts. The 500 character cap has been in place since guilds were enabled back in testing, two years ago. I really do not think this account cap will impact the majority of players.
  • yokki1yokki1 Member Posts: 451 Arc User
    karakla1 wrote: »
    That doesn't mean they do it on purpose. I saw such things quite often in different companies i worked in and it is simply incompetence or misscommunication not like "we are evil, only want your money AND WANT YOU SEE TO SUFFER *evil laugh*"

It is still a company like any other. And now think on your workplace how many people do their work properly, how many coworker are there that do the job halfassed or are simply dumb (underqualified for the job). I don't want to offend, but <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> happens. It can happens repeatly and i don't say i like, but to say: They do it on purpose to annoy us, is the same to say: They wanna stop us to play their game.

they have proven that do stuff on purpose and dont communicate them on purpose time and again. if you want a big example: Dragon. Hoard. Enchantments.
    And there is no problem. Your guild is not forced offline or anything you don't lose membership. And there is nothing wrong, if you were already at the cap, then this change really had no effect on you because you couldn't invite more anyways. You are not exempt from any of the stronghold stuff or PvP stuff.

Again what is the real issue? No feature was turned off, other than your ability to invite now, which, by your statement, was inactive anyways since you were at cap. So again, where does the actual problem lie, not the fundamental one where you feel slighted.

You've failed to read the whole post. As I've said, Greycloaks traditionally was close to character cap, but after module 6 has declined a great deal. We still have hundreds of members across all 5 guilds, but Greycloaks itself had declined enough to where we could have combined most, if not all, members into it and still be under the 500 limit with the exception of our alt guild (that is, under the 1 character per account rule we have long had in Greycloaks). We are far from the 500 character limit now, but still well over the 150 account limit.

And regardless, you're logic is flawed. 500 characters is different than accounts. We had typically 400 to 450 active PLAYERS (not everyone followed the 1-character rule, and it wasn't that easy to police anyway). 400 is (follow me here... math is hard...) "greater than" 150. So, I would say even when we were at our peek membership, this limit would still have had a massive effect. Now, instead of 400 players we can only have 150.

And Zeb -- you're saying the many thousands of us (I don't use that number lightly -- many thousands of players is an accurate word use here, just as it's accurate to use the term ban with regards to guilds larger than 150 members is) are irrelevant? Keep in mind the largest guilds also include the most active players... who you just marginalized as irrelevant. I see. So, you're saying that Cryptic did the right thing in marginalizing thousands of players by driving a wedge down the middle of their communities and forcing them to splinter? You're saying it was appropriate for Cryptic do this without warning or notice? I don't mean to say it's outside their authority - it's their game, they can do whatever they want, when they want, without notice. I mean to say, you, Zeb, by your statement, are saying you think what they have done here is appropriate and there wasn't any better or more customer-friendly way of handling it? Have I about summed up your stance here?
  • ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User

Here's my guess. Based on what they've said about other stuff, there's certain aspects of the game that have to be consistent on the test shard AND live shard. I'm going to guess that the guild size limit is one of those aspects.

So in order to start testing the Stronghold content, they needed to make the change. And it's very possible they didn't realize that until they tried to make the change, hence the "surprise" hotfix on Live.

Anyway, it'd be nice to see an official comment one way or another on this subject...or maybe they're just waiting until the first Stronghold update is on preview to take comments.

Either way, there's not much left to discuss until we get more direction from Cryptic. Or don't. Either way is essentially an answer, right?
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
    Based on previous situations, they are pulling the "If we ignore the customer, maybe they'll go away" trick. That is, let us fume and rant over their mistreatment of us without comment until we get tired of ranting over it and either quit or just accept it and move on.

Now... that's a little unfair admittedly since most of the previous situations had different management and a different CM, both of which were traditionally much less communicative than the current folks are.

I'm curious if the "new guard' will end up handling tough situations like this in a new (and more constructive) way or if they'll fall back to the status quo of just ignoring upset customers. What's really upsetting to me, perhaps what's most frustrating of all in fact, is that at the end of the day the only choice I have here is to bend over and take it or walk away, and I've already said I enjoy Neverwinter as a game and don't want to simply quit. So... by not quitting I'm tacitly giving approval to their mistreatment and they don't have to do anything, don't have to make amends, don't have to offer any form of real explanation. Its sort of depressing, actually, since we really are absolutely powerless in this.
  • j0shi82j0shi82 Member Posts: 622 Arc User
    I agree the change shouldn't have caught many by surprise and a proper warning in advance would have been nice. Not really surprising however because that's how they roll. In this game you have to monitor the preview patch notes at all times as well to get the latest information, because they normally don't announce big changes or at least not until they are live.

I guess there are good reasons to limit guild sizes. Maybe Stronghold PVE takes place just in one instance for each guild and trust me that you don't want the lagfest that comes with it. Or they think progress would simply be too fast with too many members.

What I would do in a large guild is split up and distribute members/ALTs between multiple Strongholds wherever needed. This way you could also form kind of an "A"-Team for guild fights. Just cap your guild(s) at 120 members / 450 characters so you can move players at will. Or max out one Stronghold (if possible) first and take this one for fights while building up other ones. I know it's a bit of a hassle and needs organization, but how cool would it be not to have one, but two or three Strongholds?

All guild leaders need is one mule per guild on their account with admin rights to quickly response to requests. That way you can also move your own characters effectively. This can be done with multiple accounts as well, but don't forget multi-accounting is something PWE has always been vague about and logging in and out can be a pain.
  • drkbodhidrkbodhi Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,378 Arc User
    The More things change, the more they stay the same.

Ok... Now I am confused. Is this a sarcastic comment? It is written in the sarcasm font and in the sarcasm color... lol.
    ez0sf4K.png
    Atwil "At" - Tiefling TR / Saardush - Black Dragonborn GWF / White - Tiefling OP
    Leadership Council of Civil Anarchy
    SYNERGY Alliance
  • azlanfoxazlanfox Member Posts: 436 Arc User
    magenubbie wrote: »

Old guard.. new guard.. still the same poor management. Nothing really changes. Cryptic does as it pleases and the only 2 options we have is to either hold on tight for the next bump in the track or get off before you're thrown off because you weren't holding tightly enough at the next bump.

The new boss, same as the old boss.

I'm only 3rd rank in my guild, but I'm the only one that bothers with the forums these days. Our guild leader tries to be very positive, and reasonably supportive of Cryptic. We are only around 430 at the moment, but are considering having to form sub-guilds with alts to get out of our freeze. Do they really think this is such a good idea? I would like to hear their thought process on this in a more detailed fashion.
    The fox said, "lock and load"

glassdoor.com - Cryptic Studios Review
    edited June 2015
    kvet wrote: »
    Yeah...... we need an ironic font color.

We have decided... between revjim and I... that this will be the font and color for sarcasm.

[ font="Trebuchet MS"][ color=#FF61F4]

Irony will have to be something different.
    ez0sf4K.png
    Atwil "At" - Tiefling TR / Saardush - Black Dragonborn GWF / White - Tiefling OP
    SYNERGY Alliance
  • silverkeltsilverkelt Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,235 Arc User
    I think I should join a guild soon.. my old defunct ones dont need me.

On a serious note, you will have to start paring down on your guild.

In other games Ive had there was some simple rules.

Rule 1, you had to play every day or give a message to a leader if you cannot (IE vacation or something). If you look through your rosters, how many @ handles are active on a day to day basis?

Thats your first solution, people who are not playing every day in strongholds , probably will not be of much help next mod.

edited June 2015
    azlanfox wrote: »
    Do they really think this is such a good idea? I would like to hear their thought process on this in a more detailed fashion.

So would all of us. I think, like certain apologists that have commented in this thread already, Cryptic's of the impression that because a majority of accounts weren't in guilds larger than 150 accounts (not sure what the average guild size is... I'd guess it's somewhere around 50) that this change was reasonable. What this line of reasoning fails to account for is that while a majority if guilds may be small, larger guilds attract active players and tend to have the players most excited for Strongholds, most attached to their guilds, and most satisfied with their in-game community. I am generalizing a little bit, clearly there are a lot of players in small guilds who are very active and satisfied, but the fact remains that there are many thousands of players, most of whom would constitute the most active players, effected by this arbitrary, sudden and unannounced ban on the existence of large guilds within the game, and it makes it even worse that the explanation given is really no explanation at all, but rather spin designed to give certain apologists something to point to and say, "what? it was explained! See <here>."

@silverkelt - I absolutely will not require daily activity. 42 days inactive is plenty short, and I allow no exceptions for any reason. If you're gone for 6 weeks, there's no way to "keep your spot." I feel this is as strict as I can be and still consider the Cloaks a casual guild.
    Irony needs to be a nice Off blue color maybe in a Times New Roman Font, WE should test it....
    Test Irony Font and Color
    Maybe this instead
    More blue?

Maybe a lime green or lemon yellow color... since Irony can be bitter... lol.
    ez0sf4K.png
    SYNERGY Alliance
    Irony more like a bitter lime color then

That works...

Everyone save this combo somewhere and please use it when you are writing about something Ironic.
    ez0sf4K.png
    SYNERGY Alliance
    No community wants to remove inactive players from their roster. You want people to know if they decide to come back to the game in a year they still have a home and not show up to find a "you have been thrown out on your rear end" message.

Guilds are not just hard core, make the game your job, show up or be fired PvP guilds. Most guilds are communities. Friends. It is the vocal minority which talk about removing old friends from the roster like yesterday's news.

Dang, somehow I missed this post ambi - spot on. It was always a necessary evil, and now will will be even more necessary. I can't tell you how hard it is to see good friends show up on the Greycloaks click list, but because of the limit, I had no choice - it's even worse now, I'm forced to be even more draconian than I ever was. I hate having to kick friends for no reason other than that they had something else going on in their life and Neverwinter was a priority over the winter (or whatever).
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    That may explain why you got so defensive because, yes I did make that post and had already sent a message to Andy regarding the frustrations of maintaining the old limit let alone the new limit.

My gripe has been with the use of the word ban and the fact so many focus on the "lack of notice" and playing that out to be pertinent at all. No notice, a day, a week, a month or even three months notice would not change the fact the old limit was too intrusive as it was and players wanted an increase rather than a decrease.

Do I like the fact it was just tossed in? Not particularly but I don't really see it as a huge issue.

However by focusing on the notice it implies "if we were given warning it wouldn't have been so bad," which is absolutely not true. This is a bad change for many older guilds which have an ever growing inactives list and it is bad for the company as people who come back are more likely to stay if they see they have a home.

No matter how long of a notice guilds were given this change would be just as bad for them so don't even risk letting the developers thing the complaints are just because it caused a few hours of re-organisation when the real problem is the requirement to reorganise to begin with.
  • suicidalgodotsuicidalgodot Member Posts: 2,465 Arc User
    Actually, one has to concede that this also illustrates the new "communication" philosophy: At least we were told that it has happened and didn't have to find out on our own... :^/
  • twilightwatchmantwilightwatchman Member Posts: 2,007 Arc User
    drkbodhi wrote: »

That works...

Everyone save this combo somewhere and please use it when you are writing about something Ironic.
    What about if you're writing something ironic in a sarcastic manner? Or being ironic about sarcasm?
    Jenna Sunsoul - Justice Tankadin
    Aelar Hawkwind - Archer
    Karrin Feywinter - Mistress of Flame
    Errin Duskwalker - Executioner
    Darquess - Soulbinder

That works...

What about if you're writing something ironic in a sarcastic manner? Or being ironic about sarcasm?

Ahhh Fek.

Mix the 2.
    ez0sf4K.png
    SYNERGY Alliance
  • suicidalgodotsuicidalgodot Member Posts: 2,465 Arc User

That works...

OK, Irony a bitter lime.

A shocking pink for sarcasm?

As to why: Those colours clash nicely. So: When you're ironic about saracasm, you're ironoclastic. >:)

And for simple simultaneous use of both, you can simply add the two colour figures in hexadecimal, and use the rightmost six digits for your text colour...

• kyafoxkyafox Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    Large guilds have worked very hard to become so. It's really disappointing to have over 280 active accounts, and we can't recruit/help new players the way we'd like to until we dump 130 people. Great job Neverwinter. We have a few dungeons now that can be completed by average players (we need elites to even think about completing Temple and Grey Wolf) Tiamat is finally doable again, again by high IL players. Refinement is ridiculous. Soooo you can't refine. You can't run dungeon (how I miss CN) you can't compete now (unless you've been here forever, which we have, but whats the fun if no one else can achieve that anymore) The last thing I loved in this game was the people, and now we can't do that. Seriously NW...this guy is right..pull your heads out.
  • valwrynvalwryn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,620 Arc User
    One thing that our guild has started and will probably be the wave of tomorrow.....create sister guilds and ONE CHAT To RULE THEM ALL. This way we can still recruit and help out the new peasants while lessoning our guild to that magic 150 account number!!! :(
  • aandrethegiantaandrethegiant Member Posts: 3,369 Arc User
    This is a prime example of a company who does not understand who their playerbase is.

In their hunger to make Neverwinter a PvP centric game, they have now gone certified bat <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> crazy and DO NOT have a clue what they are doing with guilds -- and they never did.

What this will accomplish is people will be FORCED to guild, and will ONLY be in a guild so they can play the game. This will be a nightmare for guild leaders who also wont have a clue that more than many of their guildies are there solely because they "need" to be in a guild, ANY guild.

Tyrs Paladium is Exhibit A proof that the decision to cap guilds in the fashion announced is so poorly planned... And to think we are just a medium sized guild by pretty much ANY game's standard.

The account limit of 150 is an artificial governor to attempt to balance PvP, PvE be damned. Medium and Large sized guilds be damned. That's TEN$ of THOUSAND$ of people, many of them among the longest playing and paying members of the Neverwinter community.

I still can't believe they did this. We do have a very good system figured out, however that 150 cap is going to force our hand again to re-tweek our strategy for the long term.

Naturally PW/Cryptic does this smack dab in the middle of a gigantic forum migration, so we can't even voice our opinion on this. They have the unmitigated GAUL to market it as a FEATURE, when it is clearly SOLELY a PvP balancing gimmick.

TYRS PALADIUM - A Premier Neverwinter Online Guild
    No Drama. Camaraderie. TEAM Focus. That's the TYRS way. If that's your style, come join us!
    Research our Guild here: Read our official Recruitment thread | Sign up here: Tyrs Guild Website! | NEVERWINTER GUILD LEADERS: Join the Fellowship!
  • aandrethegiantaandrethegiant Member Posts: 3,369 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Anything forcing PvP onto a guild that is a PvE guild is wrong. There should be an opt out to PvP completely for those guilds that DO NOT want to play Guild Wars. We are here to play D&D amongst friends, guildies and our greater Neverwinter family .

Our guild will not participate in PvP. In addition, we should not have to deal with the 150 account PvP balancing gimic. NO PvE guild should! It is game braking for many guilds, and a hassle for well organized guilds like ours. Not just for the leaders, but guildies that are confused and uninformed simply because the community as a whole was NOT informed properly. (A very small number of even dedicated Neverwinter players use arc for Neverwinter news)

** Again, Strongholds should be a possibility WITHOUT ANY NEED TO PvP AT ALL for PvE centric guilds. Also any artificial limits of 150 (that number is way too low for guilds that choose to PvP) needs to be eliminated for those guilds that do not wish to participate in PVP. There must be OPT OUTS for these two issues or else it will be perceived as FORCED PvP and Neverwinter dedicated (paying) people will leave the game or plan on leaving (they already are).

TYRS PALADIUM - A Premier Neverwinter Online Guild
    No Drama. Camaraderie. TEAM Focus. That's the TYRS way. If that's your style, come join us!
    Research our Guild here: Read our official Recruitment thread | Sign up here: Tyrs Guild Website! | NEVERWINTER GUILD LEADERS: Join the Fellowship!
This discussion has been closed.