test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The Reawakened Gladiator (Spear/Staff Archetype)

darkness1234587darkness1234587 Posts: 19 Arc User
edited April 2015 in Suggestions Box
The Reawakened Gladiator
(Spear/Staff Archetype)

I've got a great idea, A staff or spear idea, Think about it for a minute. A archetype that uses a staff or spear weapons they have to come up with. Just think about that for a minute don't you think that would be a great archetype for people who want their characters to use a staff or a spear.

Now of course we get down to the character's stats

Primary - Strength

Secondary (1) - Dexterity

Secondary (2) - Recovery

The spear and staff powers would matter based on which one you choose, There would be a spear choice or a staff choice where the spear does more slashing and a little bit of blunt damage while the staff does full blunt damage for a much harder knock or hit, While the spear is for piercing enemy's defenses and taking them out quickly before they take down you.

This archetype when leveled to 40 would be a great way for people to create characters who use the staff or spear while they could make a fat monk or something with the staff, while the spear would be used for some kind of lancer or martial arts master of the spear. It would also give access to new enemys like some kind of lancer enemies from another realm or something else they can come up with!

The form for the staff or spear user would be called the form of eternal balance which would give stacks of balance, The more balance you have, The higher your next charge attack will be, Such as if you were using other powers than your charge, which the staff or spear user would use less of when they do their next powerful charge attack it will give them a damage multiplier to the power.

So like if you had 5 stacks the powers damage would be times by two, While 10 stacks would make it by four. But the staff and spear attacks would be hard to dodge while the charges can be interrupted more easily due to the fact they have a large weapon.

The archetype should have it's own ultimate power where the user floats into the air balancing on the staff or spear then spins around and then slams it down creating an eruption of whatever you wish, You could make it look like vines! Which would be pretty cool!

Give me some suggestions for it and see if you can start boiling up some more interesting ideas, You decide!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• tfavsb10tfavsb10 Posts: 309 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    its intresting, but awakened archetypes where a bad idea, no freeform in thier right mind will level a half **** made archetype up like that i just respeced a freeform, and respeced back after i got the unlcoks
  • darkness1234587darkness1234587 Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    tfavsb10 wrote: »
    its intresting, but awakened archetypes where a bad idea, no freeform in thier right mind will level a half **** made archetype up like that i just respeced a freeform, and respeced back after i got the unlcoks

Well this one won't be half assed, This would have new powers and new strengths instead of just some dumbass few new powers an entire new archetype
  • megaskullmonmegaskullmon Posts: 313 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    The idea of spears and staff make it cool so yeah..Like
  • slinkiisuslinkiisu Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    STAFFS. I don't care about the rest but god damn it give us staffs! +9001 to this idea! Needs a better name, though.
  • slinkiisuslinkiisu Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I want an AT that uses a proper stave. Utilising both ends of it as a weapon, where block would be deflecting your attacker with the stave itself. Not like the heavy weapons AT, which is bull for staves anyway, they're not heavy. It'd make more sense for a staff or spear class to have a lot of deflective ability. Of course, if you want to see staffs in action go check them out on DCUO or the saberstaffs on SWTOR. Honestly, the only reason I like DCUO better than CO for combat is because they have a staff AT. I'd never even look at that game again if I could get a staff AT on Champions.
  • jessypranksterjessyprankster Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    This idea isn't half bad. I like it. We have everything BUT spear/staff powers. I mean, think about it. We've got heavy weapons, elemental powers, supernatural powers, and set of martial arts, but none of this! +1
    "When in doubt, spam Ebon Ruin! It works! 90% of the time!
  • krysherkrysher Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I love the idea. Staffs/spears is definetly a missing set of powers that i want to see ingame.
  • lovehammer1lovehammer1 Posts: 416 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    STAFF SET! NOW! :biggrin:
    edited April 2015
    300-fight-o.gif

This is how boss you will feel
  • sigouinsigouin Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    i like that idea of spears and staves but would also like an Archatype that uses full sythe powers but not like the devistator archatype ^.^
    edited April 2015
    If you guys want me to come up with another archetype idea, Hit me up, I'll gladly make new ideas and try to make them well known
  • crosnightcrosnight Posts: 58 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    defently would like to see this AT as well as staff/spear powers
  • megaskullmonmegaskullmon Posts: 313 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Bump bump need staff powers.
  • jennabeezyjennabeezy Posts: 42 Arc User
    After binge-watching Hercules / Xena for the past couple of weeks, I did a lot of research into the mythological history of such figures as Athena, and many others. Yes, Spears, polearms, halberds, poleaxes, quarterstaves, (I mean, just think of how much a$$ Gabrielle kicked, and she didn't even have super powers. She was a writer. Because she didn't wan to marry that lame guy.She fought gods and monsters. With a Stick.)

So, yes, we need a Halberdier AT, and for those who are worried it would be a half-a$$ AT etc etc.... they could make the powers available to FF's as well. Many Amazons fought with staves. Now, imagine that it is something more than just a stick, like Stargirls' Cosmic Staff, and you may be on to something. I don't see it being as fast as dual wielded weapons, nor have the knockback of Heavy Weapons, but instead, slows the enemy and knock them down by tripping them all the time. And it should also have an Impale move that can stop a fight cold. Of course, as soon as you release the Impale move, the enemy gets back up. It would just be Skewer, but the enemy is paralyzed, asleep, for as long as you maintain it.

This was a Ranger ability on a popular MUD I used to play back in the day. If your party was getting their butts handed, and you have a Ranger along, and he's wielding a lance or polearm, he could use the Impale move. This would give the party a chance to heal up, recharge spells, etc. while the enemy regens slowly. (Very slowly)

After watching Xena and Hercules, I think it would be cool to have an Athena themed character, and of course, everyone knows that Athena emerged from the mind of Zeus in full battle armor, with spear and shield, helmet, aegis armor, etc, uttering war cries, ready for battle. This is why she became Zeus's favorite child.

Aside from the Mediterranean region, polearms and quarterstaffs have been popular since people first took up weapons. In fact it is likely that the first melee weapon was a stick. And then you have the ever-present Wizards Staff, like Gandalf and other wizards.

Many superheroes and mythical figures used staves / polearms / sticks; Daredevil, Mockingbird, Huntress, Gambit, Jack Knight, Starman, Moses, I could go on and on, but let's not forget the 300 Spartans who repelled the whole Persian army. Of course they also had swords and shields, but they knew when to switch up. And let's not forget that scene in Braveheart, where the Scots suddenly created a wall of sharp pointy staves to...well, er... stave off the charging enemy cavalry.

Yes, I think it's a glaring absence for such a comprehensive game. So, my vote is Yes for adding a polearm powerset. Most of the animations are already there in Devastator, Blade, Unleashed and Disciple, just to name a few.

Oh, and for the unique bonus, like how Earth gets Stagger and the Void uses fear, Polearms could use knockdowns and blocking, like a shield, especially if there's a spin block enhance combo, like ho, ha, guard, turn, parry, dodge, spin, ha, thrust

*splash* Yes, that would leave your enemies in a state of hilarity, making them temporarily vulnerable to more effective attacks like a bludgeon to the back of the neck, rendering them unconscious, so you could Impale them, and regen up while they lie comatose. And it would open the opportunity to create new item sets geared toward Ranger / Bard type characaters.

Anyway. just though I would throw in my 2 pence worth.

• championshewolfchampionshewolf Posts: 4,375 Arc User
    I am all for new power sets. But until there are animators as well as other things that will be devoted to Champs, it's slim. fox-9.gif​​
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • eiledoneiledon Posts: 1,287 Arc User
    As i understand it there are some staff animations still in the files from the good/bad old days when CO was going to be Marvel Online. Not sure if there is enough to make a full staff set but could be enough to form a mini power set. Would probably still need animator time to tidy those up though. If memory serves they were reminiscent of Gambit moves.​​
  • meedacthunistmeedacthunist Posts: 2,961 Arc User1
    edited October 2015
    Just add new powers in any way different than the Reawakened ATs. To the hell with having to play a fixed build to unlock powers for FFs.​​
  • zamuelpwezamuelpwe Posts: 668 Arc User
    I don't consider Reawakened Archetypes automatically bad for unlocks, especially when compared to something random like a lockbox. Rather, the issue I see is that it's the only option for those particular powers. Arguably that's the problem with several of the unlocked powers in that it's only one way to get them.
    "Interesting builds are born from limitations not by letting players put everything into one build."

-Sterga
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    This archetype should instead be called "The Pole Dancer".
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    When Skynet awakens, the world will have two kinds of people. Living people, and people who let software force them to do things.

PS - it is implied that the second group of people will be killed by robots.