test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Scam Robots in Tutorial

vixentalkervixentalker Posts: 9 Arc User
edited February 2015 in Champions Online Discussion
I been noticing a growing amount of robot players advertising an obvious scam/hack site in the tutorial area. Anyone in the admins please do something before they prey on gullible new players.
Post edited by vixentalker on

Comments

• Options
    chimerafreekchimerafreek Posts: 383 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I been noticing a growing amount of robot players advertising an obvious scam/hack site in the tutorial area. Anyone in the admins please do something before they prey on gullible new players.

Now when you say "Robot Players" ... :v

*knows what you mean*

Anyway yeah, I too have noticed a sudden spamming of "Cheap sell 200 global only $3.Buy Cosmic Key Of Power only $0.6.Go to website [Probably harmful website redacted]" (exact copy from zone) From many different incomprehensible named toons. I hope they fix this, I can't "report spam" fast enough. D:
    edited February 2015
    Now when you say "Robot Players" ... :v

*knows what you mean*

Anyway yeah, I too have noticed a sudden spamming of "Cheap sell 200 global only $3.Buy Cosmic Key Of Power only $0.6.Go to website [Probably harmful website redacted]" (exact copy from zone) From many different incomprehensible named toons. I hope they fix this, I can't "report spam" fast enough. D:

sounds like someone building/testing a script or adapting one from STO where this sort of thing is a pain in the posterior especially on Qonos First City and in Earth system space. If they don't nip this in the bud it won't be long till we have to put up with it in MC Zone.

I am glad the other zones are pretty much level locked, at least there will be areas you can go to avoid them.
  • Options
    nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Seen a lot of them in zone last Sunday.
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • Options
    roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Ton of them there right now.

Confirmed.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • Options
    deadman20deadman20 Posts: 1,529 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I'm honestly surprised we have gotten the attention of these "Gold-Spammers". In any case, as a general warning to everyone: Do NOT go to any websites advertising a way to buy in-game currencies with your hard earned real-life money. Right click on the name of anyone advertising such sites and immediately hit Report Spam. It is likely they want your account information so they may steal everything from you.

Stay safe!

Cryptic North, I believe this would be an opportune time to adjust Loading Screens to give information on how to report actions like these and how to stay safe online. While I'm certain this misfit community can take care of itself, new players may need more guidance. Add things like:

"If anyone asks for your account information or is selling in-game services or currencies for real money, report them!"
    "Websites offering in-game currencies and/or services (and the people advertising them) should be ignored, as they are likely attempting to steal your account and money!"
    "You can quickly report scammers and spammers by right-clicking their name in chat and hitting the Report Spam option."
    "You can report players for harassment and other infractions by hitting Escape, selecting Help, and selecting the Report Player option. You can provide details on what the player has done from there."
    "The most dangerous villains are those who disguise themselves as heroes. Be sure to keep an eye out for them!"
    Steam Guide to Modifications and Equipment (Champions Online) - DZPlayer's Builds (Last updated: 3/26/2018)
    And I will always be @DZPlayer122.

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    tfavsb10tfavsb10 Posts: 309 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    gradii wrote: »
    I view it as a negative side effect of a positive thing.

think about it, if we're important enough for spambot writers to bother with...

We get similar bots in swtor, but at least there its easy "take the 1 free credit they gave you in the mail" and "report Spam"
  • Options
    dr490nbr347hidr490nbr347hi Posts: 260 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    deadman20 wrote: »
    I'm honestly surprised we have gotten the attention of these "Gold-Spammers". In any case, as a general warning to everyone: Do NOT go to any websites advertising a way to buy in-game currencies with your hard earned real-life money. Right click on the name of anyone advertising such sites and immediately hit Report Spam. It is likely they want your account information so they may steal everything from you.

Stay safe!

Cryptic North, I believe this would be an opportune time to adjust Loading Screens to give information on how to report actions like these and how to stay safe online. While I'm certain this misfit community can take care of itself, new players may need more guidance. Add things like:

"If anyone asks for your account information or is selling in-game services or currencies for real money, report them!"
    "Websites offering in-game currencies and/or services (and the people advertising them) should be ignored, as they are likely attempting to steal your account and money!"
    "You can quickly report scammers and spammers by right-clicking their name in chat and hitting the Report Spam option."
    "You can report players for harassment and other infractions by hitting Escape, selecting Help, and selecting the Report Player option. You can provide details on what the player has done from there."
    "The most dangerous villains are those who disguise themselves as heroes. Be sure to keep an eye out for them!"

I don't think that anyone who needs to be told this should be on the internet.

That being said, updating tips is a good idea.

@dr490nbr347hi / Playing since January 25, '11
    Display normal Internet behavior. Come and make fun (yes, make fun) of my PRIMUS page.
  • Options
    chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    yes some of them didn't stay in the tutorial but thats what water bombs boxes are for. he eventually noticed constantly getting knocked by the, tried fighting back, ran into PH and got teleport. Found out autotargeting on waterballoons still hits you and logged off.

I veiw gold sellers as report and free targets to harrass.
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

• Options
    decorumfriendsdecorumfriends Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Ha! So that's why I kept noticing balloon boxes all over. Good show! :biggrin:
    'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
  • Options
    avianosavianos Posts: 6,028 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Well this is frustating, I was keep getting PMs and Mails all day yesterday by Scumbots

It seems that the Rerource Cap Increase QoL attracted them

If you search for their location, theya are usually lvl 1 in Tutorial Zone, leaving the character there to bypass the 24 Hours chat restriction

where is our so called "Ingame GM" when you need him?

Cryptic please do something about that before it gets WORSE
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
  • Options
    stergiosmanstergiosman Posts: 717 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Best case scenario: Cryptic will region ban them (and the whole continent they're on).
  • Options
    flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    'Can talk in Zone or Send mail IF has spend $10 in C-store'.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
  • Options
    roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    avianos wrote: »

If you search for their location, theya are usually lvl 1 in Tutorial Zone, leaving the character there to bypass the 24 Hours chat restriction

Yes, this is definitely the case. In the tutorial zone, about a dozen or two just sit at entrance doing nothing.

Trailturtle, do you know of this? Have you seen this thread?

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • Options
    novaninja555novaninja555 Posts: 836 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Best case scenario: Cryptic will region ban them (and the whole continent they're on).

If they ban my region, imma kill someone from CO with a water gun

"Good can be found in heights, even in the deepest pits of evil" but "The valleys of evil always exist in the mountains of good."

~me
  • Options
    novaninja555novaninja555 Posts: 836 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    chaelk wrote: »
    yes some of them didn't stay in the tutorial but thats what water bombs boxes are for. he eventually noticed constantly getting knocked by the, tried fighting back, ran into PH and got teleport. Found out autotargeting on waterballoons still hits you and logged off.

I veiw gold sellers as report and free targets to harrass.

I just found a new pastime in CO :D

Time to finally put my balloons into use!

"Good can be found in heights, even in the deepest pits of evil" but "The valleys of evil always exist in the mountains of good."

~me
  • Options
    flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Who even plays Tutorial anymore?....
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
  • Options
    wingedkagoutiwingedkagouti Posts: 565 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    flyingfinn wrote: »
    Anyone with an entirely new account :wink:
  • Options
    chimerafreekchimerafreek Posts: 383 Arc User
    edited February 2015

I'm almost tempted to make a toon named "these guys are spambots ignore them" and just sit there hoping to deter newbs who might potentially click on their link.
    edited February 2015
  • Options
    vixentalkervixentalker Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    By chance do you guys been getting server crashes. Now this might be unrelated, it might not but if the servers are filled with robot scammers in the tutorial that send random scam post to everyone outside the tutorial...yeah could be a problem for gamers AND developers, either way they must go.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Well this is frustating, I was keep getting PMs and Mails all day yesterday by Scumbots

It seems that the Rerource Cap Increase QoL attracted them

where is our so called "Ingame GM" when you need him?

Cryptic please do something about that before it gets WORSE

turn your low level characters to /anon. They seem to be targeting the low levels. Which means they are using find person.
    also hit report spam on them and they need a new person because that one is one ignore.

• Options
    edited February 2015

Call me crazy but I still do
    turn your low level characters to /anon. They seem to be targeting the low levels. Which means they are using find person.
    also hit report spam on them and they need a new person because that one is one ignore.

Except all my characters who received Scam PM/Mail where lvl 40 and they were in Millenium City

Also, I just Log in and I had 3 scambot mails! They can sent you mails EVEN if you are OFFLINE?
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    flyingfinn should know there's always a loony in the crowd:

Every...single...time. :biggrin:
    'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Also, I just Log in and I had 3 scambot mails! They can sent you mails EVEN if you are OFFLINE?
    Of course they can send you mail when you're offline. That's kind of the point of having a mail system, after all - or one of the points, anyway.

Makes a nice e-paper trail for when you Report Spam on the mail, too. :smile:
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
  • Options
    guyhumualguyhumual Posts: 2,391 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    First time I noticed was in Caprice, I got a private tell from a scamer, I've since gotten two in game emails from two different accounts.
  • Options
    arimikamiarimikami Posts: 475 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I've gotten tells and mail from them. I've always been online when I got mail from them though. I just click the report spam button and go about my day when it happens.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    well monday I got
    3 at 2.39pm and 1 at 2.48pm. I had been at work the entire time.

sorry Avianos,they were all addressed to the character I was on, on the weekend when they turned up.
    I'm going to adjust a few settings and see what happens today.
    see suggestions section for ideas on how to deal with them.
    already got 2 good answers back from Sterga and Eidolon.

• Options
    spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    On the other hand, it is kind of neat to finally have a reason to push the Report Spam button on my mail-box... on someone other than Socrates.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    jonsills wrote: »
    Of course they can send you mail when you're offline. That's kind of the point of having a mail system, after all - or one of the points, anyway.

Makes a nice e-paper trail for when you Report Spam on the mail, too. :smile:

No that's not what I mean :B

It seems like the scambots are using some kind of script that automatically search and send to all people in the Search feature the same PM/Mail

Apparently they must keep the @handles of people who they spam to be able to send mails to them even offline because I was offline for 9 Hours and got 3 Mails
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    No that's not what I mean :B

It seems like the scambots are using some kind of script that automatically search and send to all people in the Search feature the same PM/Mail

Apparently they must keep the @handles of people who they spam to be able to send mails to them even offline because I was offline for 9 Hours and got 3 Mails

Might not even be that sophisticated. Might literally be a person doing it, writing down names on a piece of paper with a good old fashioned pencil. Never underestimate a gold spammer slave worker.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    It won't let me report Socrates, i've tried

• Options
    edited February 2015
    Ok yesterday I logged in and I had 10 Freaking Scambot Mails, all the same from 3 different accounts. Today I only had 3

How Obnoxious

Also, I see a lot of LVL 6 Default ATs Costumes toons standing in Auction House for hours!
    I suspect they are Scambots waiting to happen/Bypass the 24 Hour limit
    Suspicious names like Dasfafas, 54u7ytrujtduers, ertsrdhgh, e4yuhtjygh and whatever name that came from hitting your head on the Keyboard SHOW that's it's obvious Scambot

If you Report or Ingore @Socrates @Handle you basically put on Ignore a poor player whose @Haldes is Socrates :P

If that person ever comes back in CO he will be so confused that he gets ignored by the majority of the game
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    no I just hit report spam on his mail, and it refuses to take.

screenshotting tutorial name list with all the random names highlighted and passing it on.

one in AH is waterbomb practice

• Options
    edited February 2015

Really? I used to do it all the time... maybe they "fixed" that.
  • Options
    damevalentynadamevalentyna Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    deadman20 wrote: »
    I'm honestly surprised we have gotten the attention of these "Gold-Spammers"...

I was just thinking that! I mean these sites are a huge pain. But.... this is actually kind of encouraging. I came back to this game recently and as muhc as I LOVE the RP, I had kindof assumed it was pretty much in maintenence mode at this point. If it's actually attracting the attention of gold farming websites (Scam or otherwise) that's kindof a good sign!
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    I was just thinking that! I mean these sites are a huge pain. But.... this is actually kind of encouraging. I came back to this game recently and as muhc as I LOVE the RP, I had kindof assumed it was pretty much in maintenence mode at this point. If it's actually attracting the attention of gold farming websites (Scam or otherwise) that's kindof a good sign!

It was just the resource limit increase. It gave those big dumb idiots the idea that acquiring large amounts of resources has a point here.
  • Options
    xydaxydaxydaxyda Posts: 817 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I have gotten some spambot emails in game...reported everyone of them. It really isn't so bad...I get a chuckle every time actually... it is like 10x less bad as many other games I have played...!!!
  • Options
    zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Posts: 3,797 Arc User
    edited February 2015

Shh... It's were I go to be alone with my thoughts.
    ZedBlock-200.jpg
  • Options
    zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Posts: 3,797 Arc User
    edited February 2015

You and everybody how's gone to Canada for more than ten minutes. :rolleyes:

Yup, Soc is the worst spammer in CO.
    ZedBlock-200.jpg
  • Options
    codewar65codewar65 Posts: 134 Arc User
    edited February 2015

If you get mail from them while offline, they have your account handle. This tells me that they are data mining in the game. Gathering @handles to send spam to. That bothers me most.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    I didn't start getting them until I was yelling at them in the tutorial that no one wanted their stinky gold. :tongue:
    'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Shh... It's were I go to be alone with my thoughts.
    I used to go there to be alone with my thoughts. Then my thoughts got that restraining order - now I can only be with them under court supervision.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"