Options

Server Instability, morning 12/31

12346»

Comments

• Options
    itsakurataigiereitsakurataigiere Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    saroven wrote: »
    Can we skip the game bashing for a bit for some actual updates?

*shrugs* I want the game to come up as much as you do... but the only update I am interested in is "okay, it's up, log in now, sorry! Here's 100 Zen for your troubles".
  • Options
    modru35modru35 Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    No ETA was the last update
  • Options
    daekyndaekyn Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Yes..updates to the fixing would be nice, if you hate the game, go bash it someplace else, if you love it, then stand in solidarity with those wanting to know WHEN ARE THE SERVERS COMING UP?
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    What update matters? Given that absolutely NOBODY but the 1 or 2 people working this late in the server room on NYE knows how the game is actually put together on the server and what the servers are... what good is telling anyone anything going to do.

Let them work.
  • Options
    notyuunotyuu Posts: 1,121 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    the game has issues, both player and dev/budget wise, we get that, now can we stop having people bash on about it and maybe have some kind of an update on what's going down with the everything....like srsly....it's been roughly 8 hours since we heard anything.
    In all things, a calm heart must prevail.

Member of Paragon Dawn: Because some people like friendly helpful communities.

eOGi6Cv.png9rfvawn.pngr3iD4nS.png

Yeah some things are broken... no I don't use/abuse them.. where would be the fun in that?
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    gradii wrote: »
    I don't know what hours you play, but that sounds like a time zone issue, not a CO issue.

CENTRAL USA.

When is the last time you actually looked at how many people are on?
    and WoW examples are the worst possible thing to try and "improve" CO with.

Yes, because why would we want to compare a game to the industry leader. We should be comparing ourselves to ... what? other PWE games? Is that what you're happy with? PWE game "quality"?
    Any jack fool alert requires you to pay attention.

LOL Amazing. ONE boss fight. Next?
    Gravitar requires at least some competence, fire and ice too

Thank you for proving my point...
    33 40's and counting, I've played for longer than 90% of the game, and done almost every piece of content in it. I know what I'm talking about thank you very much.

Wonderful, so you are an expert casual gamer. You have played an extremely casual game, that fails to keep players when they *literally* give the game away for free, or do you not understand what F2P means?
    This has been previously explained by me already. We have content which requires competence. we just need more.

No, we don't need more. We need less. Apparently, we just need Alerts. Alerts boxes that we jump into, kill mobs, then leave, without ever saying a word.

Seriously, fine. Why you are unhappy with the game at all is beyond me. Personally, I think most players are only vaguely aware of their keyboards. Not sure if they could handle serious content.
  • Options
    bellerauxbelleraux Posts: 94 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Alright, let me see if I can help you two in understanding each other:
    True. See what I did there?

Alerts are dead silent. You might get the occassional "grats" when someone levels, but... you probably don't understand what I mean. Okay. Let me try it this way. In WoW (I played for 5 years from Vanilla through the start of WotLK), I once leveled a Warrior from ~20 to 70 almost 90% by running dungeons.

I made SO SO SO many friends during that time. Why? Because 1) people love tanks. Period. 2) people talked. And in talking, they got to know each other a little. We laughed. We cried. We complained. We had... *gasp* fun. And we had fun in a way that was totally unrelated to anything else going on in the game.

That's community. I kept many of those friends until the day I quit WoW for good. I even cried while making my good byes. So did they.

That's more or less absent in CO. That's CO's problem.

What Sakura is trying to say is that people simply play the alert, they don't talk to each other, it's almost as if you are playing an alert with bots or NPCS.

Honestly, that doesn't bother me at all, because I used to play 56k games like Doom and Quake, and we never had this idea. We simply got together and shot whatever threatened our teammates in the team deathmatches. This later extended to some TF2 servers.

But still, I see what Sakura is saying here and I understand her (or his?) point.

However:
    We have content which requires competence. we just need more.

What Gradii means here is not that the Cryptic needs competence and the players don't. What she (or he?) is saying is that Cryptic needs to be competent so they insert actually challenging content to the players - as well as fixing what's broken - so the players feel the NEED to be competent and have the space to make builds reflecting their competence, raising the overall level of the game.

Personally, I see one problem here: How many people whined about the Mechanon event rather than trying to think and find a good solution.

However, I also think we need more events like Mechanon invasion. That was an event I was always edgy and felt like I had to do the best I could to increase our chances as much as possible. Clarence was just attack, wait, block his AoE, rinse and repeat. There was no coordination, no teamwork rather than gathering a bunch of raw dmg dealers and beat the bear.

Call Maverick if you need a DPS help, or Combat Medic if you need a healer.

I am known for having extremely good or extremely bad luck with drops.
  • Options
    mettrekmettrek Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I watch the poor, unhappy fools who think CO will never get updated and is inches away from shutting down.

And I laugh.

Well, everyone is entitled to their opinions. Compared to several MMOs which have shut down CO is arguably doing considerably worse than they were at the time they were canceled. It's not always black and white and there are a lot of factors to be considered.

I personally don't see the game shutting down any time soon but anyone who has worked in the industry wouldn't be surprised if it did. So, I'm content to pay monthly but not so confident that I'd invest in a lifetime subscription (especially given how little return on investment a LTS provides).

I expect to see new costumes, the occasional new aura and updates to existing assets. I believe it is extremely unrealistic to expect to see new zones, radically new power sets or ATs (ones that don't use a majority of existing assets) or significant changes to existing content.

I haven't seen a single compelling reason to justify the cost expenditure that such work would entail. That being said, I would love to proven wrong with a new zone, new adventure packs, etc. Hell, I'd even volunteer my services as a concept and texture artist to help get it done.

For now I'll continue to subscribe and enjoy what the game has and what I put into it.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    belleraux wrote: »
    Alright, let me see if I can help you two in understanding each other:

What Sakura is trying to say is that people simply play the alert, they don't talk to each other, it's almost as if you are playing an alert with bots or NPCS.

Honestly, that doesn't bother me at all, because I used to play 56k games like Doom and Quake, and we never had this idea. We simply got together and shot whatever threatened our teammates in the team deathmatches. This later extended to some TF2 servers.

But still, I see what Sakura is saying here and I understand her (or his?) point.

However:

What Gradii means here is not that the Cryptic needs competence and the players don't. What she (or he?) is saying is that Cryptic needs to be competent so they insert actually challenging content to the players - as well as fixing what's broken - so the players feel the NEED to be competent and have the space to make builds reflecting their competence, raising the overall level of the game.

Personally, I see one problem here: How many people whined about the Mechanon event rather than trying to think and find a good solution.

However, I also think we need more events like Mechanon invasion. That was an event I was always edgy and felt like I had to do the best I could to increase our chances as much as possible. Clarence was just attack, wait, block his AoE, rinse and repeat. There was no coordination, no teamwork rather than gathering a bunch of raw dmg dealers and beat the bear.

THIS. So this.

Competence requires that you actually learn the game and how different powers work. Too many people (casuals) seem to think that the game should still, however, requires so little skill that literally ANYONE can complete content without any real thought, knowledge, or even attention.

Gradii even goes so far as to list Fire and Ice as examples of content that is "good"... but then knocks it, just because it actually requires a competent player for a tank and a competent healer to keep the tank alive. Oh noes! Actually asking people to think about the metagame 25% as much as they worry about which costume piece in a costume set they want?

PERISH THE THOUGHT!

If you people ever wondered why Cryptic focuses so much on new costume sets instead of new content?

"Actually asking people to think about the metagame 25% as much as they worry about which costume piece in a costume set they want?"

THIS is why.
  • Options
    xparibaxxparibax Posts: 149 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Chat is up across the games now. Progress is being made!
    Thank you fixit guys! :D

• Options
    ealford1985ealford1985 Posts: 3,582 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    xparibax wrote: »
    Chat is up across the games now. Progress is being made!
    Thank you fixit guys! :D

Get them clones to work!
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    I will thank them when I am IN the game.
  • Options
    zer0x0nezer0x0ne Posts: 113 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    daekyn wrote: »
    I will thank them when I am IN the game.
    I won't.

"I would be curious of your circles because I know I've never heard of you.​​" - championshewolf
  • Options
    ealford1985ealford1985 Posts: 3,582 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    i'm in game
  • Options
    vindricusvindricus Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Alerts are dead silent. You might get the occassional "grats" when someone levels, but... you probably don't understand what I mean. Okay. Let me try it this way. In WoW (I played it.), I once classname instance.

I made (...) friends during that time. Why? Because 1) people love tanks. Period. 2) people talked.

That's community.

I don't understand what you mean either. I don't really want to have to talk in alerts. Should there be forced socializing in alerts?

Also, I think if my "friendships" were predicated upon pure utilitarianism (people love tanks) I'd probably keep that to myself, or else someone would find out I didn't know what "friend" meant. "Community" is a subjective idea, but if we were to find that "I made friends in dungeons" didn't make people think of the word "community", we would have an objective finding on the matter.
    That's more or less absent in CO. That's CO's problem.

Call for forced socialization is forcey.
    You and I just disagree on what "interesting mechanics" are. How interesting can you make the mechanics when the only requirement for successfully completing content is consciousness again?

Hyperbole is hyperbolic. Also, we can assume that someone in the world can't complete the content. This is where you tell me how easy it is. This is where I agree that it is easy. This is where subjective.
    How do you only have it on 2 of your 40s and yet you are begging for more content? What? You haven't even fully utilized the (crappy) content that's available.

Wait, are you saying that they have to get a particular perk on ALL of their forties? Or..half of them? Eighty percent? How many characters need to have that perk before they're sent the proper documentation giving them license to desire new content? Because I haven't even completed all of the end game content, and if someone asked me, "Hey, would you like them to add more content?" I would say "Yes." I just don't want to get arrested here.
    Hello? Get what I'm saying?

No, but that's okay. I can't play yet.
  • Options
    jennymachxjennymachx Posts: 3,000 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    It's a shoestring budget. When they are supporting a game that has at most 500-700 players on at a time... there's probably 1 person in charge of support.

Oh look, someone using snapshot data. Again. You do realize zone instance numbers aren't true indicators of overall population?

There's no way to track players moving in and out of instances. There's no way to account for active playtimes for players from different timezones, or when they're temporarily away from the game due to RL. There is no way to determine the actual active population as of current.

Yes the game has it's issues. It's not expected that the player population is anywhere near those of triple-A MMOs out there. That doesn't mean we should resort to using faulty data for doom and gloom.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    YAY! Me too
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    vindricus wrote: »
    Call for forced socialization is forcey.
    Why do you even play MMOs...?
  • Options
    vindricusvindricus Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I'm in too! Bye, thread! Byyyeee!
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    jennymachx wrote: »
    Oh look, someone using snapshot data. Again. You do realize zone instance numbers aren't true indicators of overall population?

Which is why I always estimate the top number, instead of actuals... Thanks...

And, fine. Let's assume something incredibly stupid. Let's assume that literally for every person in an instance, there is another person moving into another instance and not counted. Let's see... 700 during peak hours... x2... is 1,400 players.

WOW! 1,400 people...

That's... underwhelming in every possible way.
  • Options
    hellsmostwantedhellsmostwanted Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I'm going to go watch a movie, play another game, or maybe sit back relax and read some comics. All of this debating about how the game can be improved is pointless. Why can't we all see that we all enjoy the game to an extent and ALL want it to IMPROVE. No one would be here if they truly hated the game.

Everyone is entitled to what they believe is bad about a game and what they believe needs to be improved. Arguing about these opinions is as bad as arguing about chocolate being better than vanilla. You can list every example in the world but you must know that it is very difficult to change someone else outlook on certain subjects.

Now I know my post wont change anything and you guys will continue to debate about this. But Eh I tried. I'll be waiting patiently for when the game returns and check later. I need to catch up on my New 52 series anyway
  • Options
    kallethenkallethen Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    If I had a dollar for every post I've read professing the death of CO...

I'd have been able to purchase the Lifetime sub without discount.
    100% of the world is crazy, 95% are in denial.

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    If you people ever wondered why Cryptic focuses so much on new costume sets instead of new content?

"Actually asking people to think about the metagame 25% as much as they worry about which costume piece in a costume set they want?"

THIS is why.

I agree wholeheartedly. I don't want to play the "oldbie nostalgic guy" here, but those games I've mentioned were way better in that regard. First off, we didn't whine about having 120 ping as "a brutal lag that makes the game unplayable, wah wah". We actually said things like "Whoa, my ping is at 450, lightspeed connection!". We actually celebrated having 250 ping, which is why I can play this game even if my ping averages 220, because I learned how to get over meaningless things.

Not only that, but back then the mindsets of the players were way simpler. If we couldn't beat something, we tried harder. If we couldn't try even harder, we got help. Either someone to train us to improve or someone to team up with and beat the challenges. The rule of thumb in Quake community was "If this doesn't work, try something different. If someone did that, then everyone else can do it".

What I see in CO players in general is the opposite: If this doesn't work, blame it. If someone did that, blame THEM and raise the "nerf this" sign all around.

I'm deeply surprised nobody wanted Cryptic to "nerf Therakiel's Temple" yet. It's beautifully made, requires a full team that works together, it's an actual challenge and have worthy rewards. Meanwhile we have teams everywhere else comprised of tankers who are afraid of aggroing because they cant tank, healers that think having only Rebuke is being a healer, DPS's that deal 80 damage per second to the mobs, and melee fighters who think that melee combat is to use Mighty Leap. Not to mention people who are so dense they might have a seizure if you told them that there is a block function.

• Options
    edited December 2014
    I agree wholeheartedly.
    But they look good in their costume! That's all that matters, right! They look good, so the content should just let them through based on how good they look...
    What I see in CO players in general is the opposite: If this doesn't work, blame it. If someone did that, blame THEM and raise the "nerf this" sign all around.
    This is so true. Now, I will say this. There are certain "fights" in CO that are just ridiculous. They depend on bouncing the players around like pinballs and knocking them into lava in order to be "challenging". Or you have to stand at the Telieosaur's butt or else you will die.

Boring.

It doesn't have to be like this. It doesn't have to be "ubertanks" world, either... The trinity, however, creates better content, not because what players bring, but because once you have an expectation of what's going to be in the instance higher than "being vaguely aware of the keyboard", you can actually create challenges where DPSers have to do something more intelligent than mashing their keyboard, absolutely destroying their 2 button.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    All of this debating about how the game can be improved is pointless.

I don't know how Gradii and Sakura are seeing this entire debate, but for me it's a fantastic way to pass time while the server is down.

I'm really sorry if my posts about this theme bother anyone reading this thread, that's not what I'm here for, but I think bouncing those ideas and debate on them is WAY better than posting stuff like "What's your favourite costume piece?".

• Options
    edited December 2014
    Which is why I always estimate the top number, instead of actuals... Thanks...

And, fine. Let's assume something incredibly stupid. Let's assume that literally for every person in an instance, there is another person moving into another instance and not counted. Let's see... 700 during peak hours... x2... is 1,400 players.

WOW! 1,400 people...

That's... underwhelming in every possible way.

That isn't a "top" number at all. Read the rest of my post, since it's clear you just didn't get it.

Do the 1400 people also account for people already in other instances at the time? Once again do they account for players in their RL downtime?

No? Then all you have is faulty data and assumptions. Not something I'd use to make any sort of objective argument.
  • Options
    teencatmteencatm Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Oh finally I'm in <3
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    jennymachx wrote: »
    That isn't a "top" number at all. Read the rest of my post, since it's clear you just didn't get it.

Do the 1400 people also account for people already in other instances at the time? Once again do they account for players in their RL downtime?

No? Then all you have is faulty data and assumptions. Not something I'd use to make any sort of objective argument.

Yes. Did you not read the post where I detail how I gathered my data by searching every single instance... and then I estimated the MAXIMUM number of players that instance can hold... and I'm still only getting 700 people... then I go ahead and give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that there's twice as many people on as the data shows... and... that's still not good for you?

#fanboyism
  • Options
    zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Posts: 3,797 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    That does it. Time to trash the CO boards.

http://kickassapp.com/
    ZedBlock-200.jpg
  • Options
    trailturtletrailturtle Posts: 5,496 Perfect World Employee
    edited December 2014
    Oh thank God it's fixed.

Chat, billing, and the Champs server should all be up and running. Let me know if anyone has any issues.

Thanks everyone for your patience, and have a happy and safe New Year's.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Yes. Did you not read the post where I detail how I gathered my data by searching every single instance... and then I estimated the MAXIMUM number of players that instance can hold... and I'm still only getting 700 people... then I go ahead and give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that there's twice as many people on as the data shows... and... that's still not good for you?

#fanboyism

Nope not #fanboyism, just calling out BS data when I see it.

Actively track every single player activity during online and offline times. That's proper data-mining, not this eyeballing that you're doing.

Last post from me in this thread. Thanks TT.
  • Options
    dr490nbr347hidr490nbr347hi Posts: 260 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Back in business.

@dr490nbr347hi / Playing since January 25, '11
    Display normal Internet behavior. Come and make fun (yes, make fun) of my PRIMUS page.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Just noting that the way game population is measured is the max amount of players online at the same time each day per total unique amount of players to connect to the game per day, which excludes alt accounts and discards different toons.

This means that if CO has a max amount of 400 players among 1,000 total unique users connecting to their servers in a day, nobody cares if there are 9827318092731089370189 registered users, the server will be considered bad. It's even worse if there's only 400 max users online and about 10,000 unique connections in a day, because it will pass the idea that the server sucks on keeping their players in it.

From a commercial point of view, a server is only worth investing if the difference 'Total unique accesses per day' minus 'max amount of player online at a time' is minimal, because it will indicate a very little amount of casual players and/or a very high satisfaction from the players with the game server itself.

No company wants to invest in expanding a game if the players won't spend time in it, therefore not worrying about additional content, which explain the neverending shower of lockboxes.

I should note that casual players have a VERY low criteria about game quality. They won't even begin to notice many flaws and issues more devoted players will. For a CO casual player, as long as the game provides some alerts to play, he goes to them, completes them and then leaves for the day, then nothing else is needed, and I'm sure many of those people you never see outside alerts think in such way.

It's also very important to note that if a lot of casual gamers pay anything, even if just once, the game is considered stable and shutting down is not an option. While this also dooms any possibility of introducing new stuff, it also serves to let most uninformed people know that the game is far from being closed

• Options
    notyuunotyuu Posts: 1,121 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Oh thank God it's fixed.

Chat, billing, and the Champs server should all be up and running. Let me know if anyone has any issues.

I for one can't log in, still getting the "Can not connect to account server" when I try...

never mind, managed to get in [after 4 attempts]
    In all things, a calm heart must prevail.

Member of Paragon Dawn: Because some people like friendly helpful communities.

eOGi6Cv.png9rfvawn.pngr3iD4nS.png

Yeah some things are broken... no I don't use/abuse them.. where would be the fun in that?
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Way to go CDHAL! :smile:

I should have never doubted your skill as you are a made up entity I only just stated to believe in today. :biggrin:

I'll never ever doubt you again until the next time something goes wrong.

btw - Zed B is in.
    ZedBlock-200.jpg
  • Options
    deadman20deadman20 Posts: 1,529 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Oh thank God it's fixed.

M-bison-yes-o.gif

Yes! Yes!
    Steam Guide to Modifications and Equipment (Champions Online) - DZPlayer's Builds (Last updated: 3/26/2018)
    And I will always be @DZPlayer122.

• Options
    sarovensaroven Posts: 43 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Glad the game is back up. Happy new year all!
  • Options
    novarockznovarockz Posts: 236 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    All is good and retired again. HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYBODY!
  • Options
    chalupaoffurychalupaoffury Posts: 2,553 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    AMVVuaF.gif

... I can't be alone here in having another game to play. Just got handed Saints Row 4, and honestly? Didn't notice. Seriously, y'all. Prozac is cool. Outages happen. I don't think I have to remind anyone of earlier kitchen sink patches that killed chat for a week. We've seen much worse, for being new years eve? They fixed this hella quick and it mighta been a hard fight to do.

Glad we're back. :)
    In game, I am @EvilTaco. Happily killing purple gang members since May 2008.
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine
  • Options
    chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    the only other games I have loaded are NW(the less said the better) & STO- big patch to do on that.

I went to sleep and did other things.
    so now that the server hamsters have had their once a year fling.
    Remember to post pictures of the babies, when they are born.
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

• Options
    punctuatedcolonpunctuatedcolon Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    MASSIVE thanks to turtle for coming and fixing our addictions when he should have been out partying.

youre doing god's work tt, ignore the haters, we love you man
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    MASSIVE thanks to turtle for coming and fixing our addictions when he should have been out partying.

youre doing god's work tt, ignore the haters, we love you man

ditto the above.

Happy New Year, too.
    ZedBlock-200.jpg
  • Options
    andyuk1980andyuk1980 Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Hello, i just want to add that i am still getting frequent disconnects after seeing the server not responding message, i got disconnected 3 times in a row yesterday and now twice in a row this morning.
    It seems there is still some problems somewhere on Perfect World's end as everything else on my end is fine and working ok.
  • Options
    atlassarnosianatlassarnosian Posts: 169 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Every since the reconnection to these servers, I keep getting "SERVER NOT RESPONDING"s from time to time
    @atlassarnosian
    Banner.png
    Playing CO since August 25, 2012
    Lifetime sub since July 6, 2017

YouTube|Steam|DeviantArt|FurAffinity
    "Don't call me lizard!"
  • Options
    aiqaaiqa Posts: 2,620 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Same here, since the downtime I've been getting lots of disconnects and load times have been much higher.
    Using "/netgraph 1" in-game show pings fluctuating between 200 and 1500ms, doing a manual ping to the ip adressses netstat says CO is connecting to, I get 100ms.

/edit
    After 3 days of connection problems I decide to send a ticket to CS.
    And like always when finally deciding to complain, the problems magically disappear.
    I am glad things work well again.