test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Server Instability, morning 12/31

Comments

• bellerauxbelleraux Posts: 94 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    CO was never meant to be PVP oriented. Rather, it was meant to be PVE oriented and with the RP ability, meaning that you could do the missions while RPing. This is why there is so much space for people to work on their toons bio, story and make theme builds and so little dedication to pvp.

Originally CO was released to be a rival to CoX - When Grond says "You are as boring as rival MMO" he refers to CoX - but also a parallel to it. PVP lovers went to CoX, PVE and RP lovers came to CO.

Call Maverick if you need a DPS help, or Combat Medic if you need a healer.

I am known for having extremely good or extremely bad luck with drops.
  • itsakurataigiereitsakurataigiere Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    We are starving for content and cant get bugs fixed which have been here since launch or beta. it doesn't take a genius to see that has nothing to do with strict role enforcement from outdated MMOs of yore.

We are starving for content because the game is terrible.

1) There's no community.

2) The instances that we do have are terrible.

3) The end game content that we have isn't compelling (trying to get the Stolen Kiss Perk will teach you that).

4) Yes, the game is buggy, but it's "casual friendly".

Basically, everything that you need to have a successful franchise is absent in CO.

We have missions in West Side that lead from level 6 to 12, to 14, and then to a level 10 mission... and have you bouncing around West Side in an incoherent and pointless series of missions that tell you to "go here and kill X", with very little meaningful story.

There's no team related content. And, no, Alerts don't count. A team only exists if they are forced to actually communicate. If CO is filled with the people who couldn't cut it in WoW (or any other game that actually required people to be good at a skill set or role), then that's probably what the problem is.

That's not how game theory works. If you want to strip away all challenge from the game, and make it so that the only prerequisite for COMPLETING the content is being conscious, then why on earth are you asking for content at all?

Why bother developing content if the bar for completing the content is so low that literally anyone can do it? How is that possibly fun?
  • zer0x0nezer0x0ne Posts: 113 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    This amount of down time is sad, even for Cryptic. It's sad even for Cryptic on a holiday.

"I would be curious of your circles because I know I've never heard of you.​​" - championshewolf
  • trailturtletrailturtle Posts: 5,496 Perfect World Employee
    edited December 2014
    The chat and charging Zen issues may take a while, but we're hoping to get CO up and running in the short term. No ETA yet, will keep you updated. Sorry about this NYE disruption, folks, and thanks for your patience.
    edited December 2014
    gradii wrote: »
    Still down. WTF.

Oh geez. This maintenance is a very big one. The servers are off ever since last year.

• glortorglortor Posts: 329 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    What patience? It's 4am I'm about to pass out and I have to be up in 3 hours to work.
    WITHOUT having been able to play, I must add.
  • modru35modru35 Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Starting to wonder if these IT guys are right out of college.
  • ealford1985ealford1985 Posts: 3,582 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    We are starving for content because the game is terrible.

1) There's no community.

2) The instances that we do have are terrible.

3) The end game content that we have isn't compelling (trying to get the Stolen Kiss Perk will teach you that).

4) Yes, the game is buggy, but it's "casual friendly".

Basically, everything that you need to have a successful franchise is absent in CO.

We have missions in West Side that lead from level 6 to 12, to 14, and then to a level 10 mission... and have you bouncing around West Side in an incoherent and pointless series of missions that tell you to "go here and kill X", with very little meaningful story.

There's no team related content. And, no, Alerts don't count. A team only exists if they are forced to actually communicate. If CO is filled with the people who couldn't cut it in WoW (or any other game that actually required people to be good at a skill set or role), then that's probably what the problem is.

That's not how game theory works. If you want to strip away all challenge from the game, and make it so that the only prerequisite for COMPLETING the content is being conscious, then why on earth are you asking for content at all?

Why bother developing content if the bar for completing the content is so low that literally anyone can do it? How is that possibly fun?

Dr. Destroyer? Is that you?

Go play in traffic, join date Dec 2014.
  • zombie2brokezombie2broke Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Thats another thing. i guarantee half of these "heroes" people have created were made with villains in mind. lets make factions...
  • alricnarccus720alricnarccus720 Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Thats another thing. i guarantee half of these "heroes" people have created were made with villains in mind. lets make factions...

I'm like 80% sure they've said in the past they're not going to do that, which is a shame...I'd love to rob a bank or punt an old lady once in awhile~
    edited December 2014
    I'm like 80% sure they've said in the past they're not going to do that, which is a shame...I'd love to rob a bank or punt an old lady once in awhile~

Well, there is a way to kill some friendly NPCs.

Not Defender tho.

edited December 2014

Go play in traffic, join date Dec 2014.

*sigh* Really? Good for you... you figured out I made this account today, because I messed up my user name on perfectworld when I ported over from an old account (that was created in 2010 thank you very much). #golfclap #fanboydefense #itsadhominemtime #strawmanout #scrubgetsnolovefromme

PS - fanboy, CO is still down on New Years Eve after over 12 hours. And you are still fanboying. Do you get paid per fanboy post, or is it a salary thing?
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited December 2014

Will you start?
    Whats your faction is called?
    I'll choose 'Injustice League Of Unjustice And Doom'.
    We choose not to help citizens in need of help.
    Do everything that Alert Villians allways win.
    Fail and not finish every mission so the villians win.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • alricnarccus720alricnarccus720 Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    belleraux wrote: »
    Well, there is a way to kill some friendly NPCs.

Not Defender tho.

I REAAALLY wanna kill him..
  • prettyceltprettycelt Posts: 120 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    modru35 wrote: »
    Starting to wonder if these IT guys are right out of college.

I've often wondered that same thing myself. Even looking at Neverwinter, some of the older costumes, mounts, etc. look better than what they put out now. It makes me think the older, more experienced devs migrated away to bigger companies and left rookies behind who can't keep up. Or fix a problem in a timely manner.
    Sigblock_zpsj1x4gbuk.jpg

edited December 2014
    prettycelt wrote: »
    I've often wondered that same thing myself. Even looking at Neverwinter, some of the older costumes, mounts, etc. look better than what they put out now. It makes me think the older, more experienced devs migrated away to bigger companies and left rookies behind who can't keep up. Or fix a problem in a timely manner.

It's a shoestring budget. When they are supporting a game that has at most 500-700 players on at a time... there's probably 1 person in charge of support.
    edited December 2014
    I REAAALLY wanna kill him..

You and the entirety of the servers.

But while you can't, get Illumination + Celestial conduit. Find a destructible object close to an NPC. Use Illumination on the object then destroy it with Celestial conduit. Watch the friendly NPC being damaged along with the object.

Now rinse and repeat.

You can kill all friendlies in RenCen with this, save little exceptions, which is too bad, imagine if someone killed the tailors...

edited December 2014
    It's a shoestring budget. When they are supporting a game that has at most 500-700 players on at a time... there's probably 1 person in charge of support.

Ok I understand then.
    Plus it is a Holiday.
  • kellvenkellven Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    CO won't be shut down unless it starts to actually cause problems that take actual money to fix. Like what's going on right now.

It was made by the clowns of the industry in the least time possible for the smallest budget possible (That was Cryptic's whole strategy), is now "maintained" by bean counters who have absolutely no interest in it, and has suffered through several layers of development hell without any comprehensive attempt at actual game design whatsoever. Oh, and the code base is so arcane and haphazard it would absolutely cost more to fix what's there than just start over borrowing the engine from another PW title.

The reason it won't close unless it becomes an actual toxic asset (due to technical or legal drama) is that it cost virtually nothing to keep it online. It's the other games PW has that actually keep the data center open and "content artist" stable employed. CO just runs in a tiny sliver of processing and network that nobody ever really notices, with at most a day every couple of months for someone who likes that stuff to make a couple of low-poly superhero models and dish out lockbox #994321X.
    One of the key features of Cryptic games was that they had virtually no actual dynamic content, everything was instanced static content run on the client; resulting in virtually no load beyond the per-player, which takes care of itself as more players=more $.

All told, I would be extremely surprised if CO had a total budget over 150 a month, at the absolute maximum, not at all surprised if it was more like 50, given they have in house hosting and content teams.

The real problem is if the game starts having these issues which require money to be spent specifically on CO by itself to fix. Like what we're having now.

Just my 2 Locals.
    edited December 2014
    *sigh* Really? Good for you... you figured out I made this account today, because I messed up my user name on perfectworld when I ported over from an old account (that was created in 2010 thank you very much). #golfclap #fanboydefense #itsadhominemtime #strawmanout #scrubgetsnolovefromme

PS - fanboy, CO is still down on New Years Eve after over 12 hours. And you are still fanboying. Do you get paid per fanboy post, or is it a salary thing?

Yet, here you are.

Rather be a fanboy than someone who clearly hates a game but just can't seem to leave it. Pound signs...reminds me of a certain banned person.
    edited December 2014
    The chat and charging Zen issues may take a while, but we're hoping to get CO up and running in the short term. No ETA yet, will keep you updated. Sorry about this NYE disruption, folks, and thanks for your patience.
    Yeah... no one really cares any more. They've all moved on to *****ing about why no one plays the game.

"I would be curious of your circles because I know I've never heard of you.​​" - championshewolf
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited December 2014

1418652961_1418106230_0_11dd42.jpg
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
  • deadman20deadman20 Posts: 1,529 Arc User
    edited December 2014

Dr. Destroyer can't even be bothered to do anything more threatening than send down some dinky robots and pay someone to commandeer floating billboards and repeat the same message every hour on the hour for a couple of weeks. If anything, he's a wannabe Foxbat. Mechanon's the real threat here, it's likely his doing that our servers our down, stopping our heroic duties. :rolleyes:

ALBERT ZERSTOITEN! FACE ME!
    Steam Guide to Modifications and Equipment (Champions Online) - DZPlayer's Builds (Last updated: 3/26/2018)
    And I will always be @DZPlayer122.

• daekyndaekyn Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Seriously? All the tech support go out for NYE and just leave us hanging? WTH is the issue with getting the Servers online?

Since this IS a Forum, couldn't say, maybe someone from the actual game give an update? maybe? Please?

Cookies...
    edited December 2014
    daekyn wrote: »
    Seriously? All the tech support go out for NYE and just leave us hanging? WTH is the issue with getting the Servers online?

Since this IS a Forum, couldn't say, maybe someone from the actual game give an update? maybe? Please?

Cookies...

Cookie.gif

edited December 2014

Cookies...
    Nothing gets fixed at Cryptic on holidays, or weekends. They just put Trail Turtle on loop and fix it when it's time to punch back in.

edited December 2014
    False.
    True. See what I did there?

Alerts are dead silent. You might get the occassional "grats" when someone levels, but... you probably don't understand what I mean. Okay. Let me try it this way. In WoW (I played for 5 years from Vanilla through the start of WotLK), I once leveled a Warrior from ~20 to 70 almost 90% by running dungeons.

I made SO SO SO many friends during that time. Why? Because 1) people love tanks. Period. 2) people talked. And in talking, they got to know each other a little. We laughed. We cried. We complained. We had... *gasp* fun. And we had fun in a way that was totally unrelated to anything else going on in the game.

That's community. I kept many of those friends until the day I quit WoW for good. I even cried while making my good byes. So did they.

That's more or less absent in CO. That's CO's problem.
    Not really. They're incomplete because they lack good AI and interesting mechanics.

I can't disagree here. You and I just disagree on what "interesting mechanics" are. How interesting can you make the mechanics when the only requirement for successfully completing content is consciousness again?
    I got that perk twice and plan on doing it for another couple characters next year.

Wonderful. So you have only 2 40s? (No, I know you have a lot more than that). Why do you have that perk on only 2 of your 40s, if that content is so much fun? How do you only have it on 2 of your 40s and yet you are begging for more content? What? You haven't even fully utilized the (crappy) content that's available.

Hello? Get what I'm saying?
    Those 2 things have nothing to do with each other.

Yeah, it has everything to do with each other. Again, the only requirement for content is that you be conscious. Not conscious and competent. If competence doesn't matter, then why do bugs matter? Why does Cryptic have to be competent, but the players don't?
  • sarovensaroven Posts: 43 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Can we skip the game bashing for a bit for some actual updates?
  • jennymachxjennymachx Posts: 3,000 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    saroven wrote: »

Nope, continue with:

tumblr_inline_n6wr5jzuqb1s9nclc.gif
    edited December 2014
    saroven wrote: »

*shrugs* I want the game to come up as much as you do... but the only update I am interested in is "okay, it's up, log in now, sorry! Here's 100 Zen for your troubles".
    edited December 2014
    No ETA was the last update
    edited December 2014
    Yes..updates to the fixing would be nice, if you hate the game, go bash it someplace else, if you love it, then stand in solidarity with those wanting to know WHEN ARE THE SERVERS COMING UP?
    edited December 2014
    What update matters? Given that absolutely NOBODY but the 1 or 2 people working this late in the server room on NYE knows how the game is actually put together on the server and what the servers are... what good is telling anyone anything going to do.

Let them work.
  • notyuunotyuu Posts: 1,121 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    the game has issues, both player and dev/budget wise, we get that, now can we stop having people bash on about it and maybe have some kind of an update on what's going down with the everything....like srsly....it's been roughly 8 hours since we heard anything.
    In all things, a calm heart must prevail.

Member of Paragon Dawn: Because some people like friendly helpful communities.

eOGi6Cv.png9rfvawn.pngr3iD4nS.png

Yeah some things are broken... no I don't use/abuse them.. where would be the fun in that?
    edited December 2014
    I don't know what hours you play, but that sounds like a time zone issue, not a CO issue.

CENTRAL USA.

When is the last time you actually looked at how many people are on?
    and WoW examples are the worst possible thing to try and "improve" CO with.

Yes, because why would we want to compare a game to the industry leader. We should be comparing ourselves to ... what? other PWE games? Is that what you're happy with? PWE game "quality"?
    Any jack fool alert requires you to pay attention.

LOL Amazing. ONE boss fight. Next?
    Gravitar requires at least some competence, fire and ice too

Thank you for proving my point...
    33 40's and counting, I've played for longer than 90% of the game, and done almost every piece of content in it. I know what I'm talking about thank you very much.

Wonderful, so you are an expert casual gamer. You have played an extremely casual game, that fails to keep players when they *literally* give the game away for free, or do you not understand what F2P means?
    This has been previously explained by me already. We have content which requires competence. we just need more.

No, we don't need more. We need less. Apparently, we just need Alerts. Alerts boxes that we jump into, kill mobs, then leave, without ever saying a word.

Seriously, fine. Why you are unhappy with the game at all is beyond me. Personally, I think most players are only vaguely aware of their keyboards. Not sure if they could handle serious content.
    edited December 2014
    Alright, let me see if I can help you two in understanding each other:
    True. See what I did there?

Alerts are dead silent. You might get the occassional "grats" when someone levels, but... you probably don't understand what I mean. Okay. Let me try it this way. In WoW (I played for 5 years from Vanilla through the start of WotLK), I once leveled a Warrior from ~20 to 70 almost 90% by running dungeons.

I made SO SO SO many friends during that time. Why? Because 1) people love tanks. Period. 2) people talked. And in talking, they got to know each other a little. We laughed. We cried. We complained. We had... *gasp* fun. And we had fun in a way that was totally unrelated to anything else going on in the game.

That's community. I kept many of those friends until the day I quit WoW for good. I even cried while making my good byes. So did they.

What Sakura is trying to say is that people simply play the alert, they don't talk to each other, it's almost as if you are playing an alert with bots or NPCS.

Honestly, that doesn't bother me at all, because I used to play 56k games like Doom and Quake, and we never had this idea. We simply got together and shot whatever threatened our teammates in the team deathmatches. This later extended to some TF2 servers.

But still, I see what Sakura is saying here and I understand her (or his?) point.

However:
    We have content which requires competence. we just need more.

What Gradii means here is not that the Cryptic needs competence and the players don't. What she (or he?) is saying is that Cryptic needs to be competent so they insert actually challenging content to the players - as well as fixing what's broken - so the players feel the NEED to be competent and have the space to make builds reflecting their competence, raising the overall level of the game.

Personally, I see one problem here: How many people whined about the Mechanon event rather than trying to think and find a good solution.

However, I also think we need more events like Mechanon invasion. That was an event I was always edgy and felt like I had to do the best I could to increase our chances as much as possible. Clarence was just attack, wait, block his AoE, rinse and repeat. There was no coordination, no teamwork rather than gathering a bunch of raw dmg dealers and beat the bear.

• mettrekmettrek Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I watch the poor, unhappy fools who think CO will never get updated and is inches away from shutting down.

And I laugh.

Well, everyone is entitled to their opinions. Compared to several MMOs which have shut down CO is arguably doing considerably worse than they were at the time they were canceled. It's not always black and white and there are a lot of factors to be considered.

I personally don't see the game shutting down any time soon but anyone who has worked in the industry wouldn't be surprised if it did. So, I'm content to pay monthly but not so confident that I'd invest in a lifetime subscription (especially given how little return on investment a LTS provides).

I expect to see new costumes, the occasional new aura and updates to existing assets. I believe it is extremely unrealistic to expect to see new zones, radically new power sets or ATs (ones that don't use a majority of existing assets) or significant changes to existing content.

I haven't seen a single compelling reason to justify the cost expenditure that such work would entail. That being said, I would love to proven wrong with a new zone, new adventure packs, etc. Hell, I'd even volunteer my services as a concept and texture artist to help get it done.

For now I'll continue to subscribe and enjoy what the game has and what I put into it.
    edited December 2014
    belleraux wrote: »
    Alright, let me see if I can help you two in understanding each other:

What Sakura is trying to say is that people simply play the alert, they don't talk to each other, it's almost as if you are playing an alert with bots or NPCS.

Honestly, that doesn't bother me at all, because I used to play 56k games like Doom and Quake, and we never had this idea. We simply got together and shot whatever threatened our teammates in the team deathmatches. This later extended to some TF2 servers.

But still, I see what Sakura is saying here and I understand her (or his?) point.

However:

What Gradii means here is not that the Cryptic needs competence and the players don't. What she (or he?) is saying is that Cryptic needs to be competent so they insert actually challenging content to the players - as well as fixing what's broken - so the players feel the NEED to be competent and have the space to make builds reflecting their competence, raising the overall level of the game.

Personally, I see one problem here: How many people whined about the Mechanon event rather than trying to think and find a good solution.

However, I also think we need more events like Mechanon invasion. That was an event I was always edgy and felt like I had to do the best I could to increase our chances as much as possible. Clarence was just attack, wait, block his AoE, rinse and repeat. There was no coordination, no teamwork rather than gathering a bunch of raw dmg dealers and beat the bear.

THIS. So this.

Competence requires that you actually learn the game and how different powers work. Too many people (casuals) seem to think that the game should still, however, requires so little skill that literally ANYONE can complete content without any real thought, knowledge, or even attention.

Gradii even goes so far as to list Fire and Ice as examples of content that is "good"... but then knocks it, just because it actually requires a competent player for a tank and a competent healer to keep the tank alive. Oh noes! Actually asking people to think about the metagame 25% as much as they worry about which costume piece in a costume set they want?

PERISH THE THOUGHT!

If you people ever wondered why Cryptic focuses so much on new costume sets instead of new content?

"Actually asking people to think about the metagame 25% as much as they worry about which costume piece in a costume set they want?"

THIS is why.
  • xparibaxxparibax Posts: 149 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Chat is up across the games now. Progress is being made!
    Thank you fixit guys! :D

edited December 2014
    xparibax wrote: »
    Chat is up across the games now. Progress is being made!
    Thank you fixit guys! :D

Get them clones to work!
    edited December 2014
    I will thank them when I am IN the game.
    edited December 2014
    I will thank them when I am IN the game.
    I won't.

edited December 2014
    i'm in game
  • vindricusvindricus Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Alerts are dead silent. You might get the occassional "grats" when someone levels, but... you probably don't understand what I mean. Okay. Let me try it this way. In WoW (I played it.), I once classname instance.

I made (...) friends during that time. Why? Because 1) people love tanks. Period. 2) people talked.

That's community.

I don't understand what you mean either. I don't really want to have to talk in alerts. Should there be forced socializing in alerts?

Also, I think if my "friendships" were predicated upon pure utilitarianism (people love tanks) I'd probably keep that to myself, or else someone would find out I didn't know what "friend" meant. "Community" is a subjective idea, but if we were to find that "I made friends in dungeons" didn't make people think of the word "community", we would have an objective finding on the matter.

Call for forced socialization is forcey.
    You and I just disagree on what "interesting mechanics" are. How interesting can you make the mechanics when the only requirement for successfully completing content is consciousness again?

Hyperbole is hyperbolic. Also, we can assume that someone in the world can't complete the content. This is where you tell me how easy it is. This is where I agree that it is easy. This is where subjective.
    How do you only have it on 2 of your 40s and yet you are begging for more content? What? You haven't even fully utilized the (crappy) content that's available.

Wait, are you saying that they have to get a particular perk on ALL of their forties? Or..half of them? Eighty percent? How many characters need to have that perk before they're sent the proper documentation giving them license to desire new content? Because I haven't even completed all of the end game content, and if someone asked me, "Hey, would you like them to add more content?" I would say "Yes." I just don't want to get arrested here.
    Hello? Get what I'm saying?

No, but that's okay. I can't play yet.
  • jennymachxjennymachx Posts: 3,000 Arc User
    edited December 2014

Oh look, someone using snapshot data. Again. You do realize zone instance numbers aren't true indicators of overall population?

There's no way to track players moving in and out of instances. There's no way to account for active playtimes for players from different timezones, or when they're temporarily away from the game due to RL. There is no way to determine the actual active population as of current.

Yes the game has it's issues. It's not expected that the player population is anywhere near those of triple-A MMOs out there. That doesn't mean we should resort to using faulty data for doom and gloom.
    edited December 2014
    YAY! Me too
    edited December 2014
    vindricus wrote: »
    Call for forced socialization is forcey.
    Why do you even play MMOs...?
  • vindricusvindricus Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I'm in too! Bye, thread! Byyyeee!
    edited December 2014
    jennymachx wrote: »
    Oh look, someone using snapshot data. Again. You do realize zone instance numbers aren't true indicators of overall population?

Which is why I always estimate the top number, instead of actuals... Thanks...

And, fine. Let's assume something incredibly stupid. Let's assume that literally for every person in an instance, there is another person moving into another instance and not counted. Let's see... 700 during peak hours... x2... is 1,400 players.

WOW! 1,400 people...

That's... underwhelming in every possible way.
  • hellsmostwantedhellsmostwanted Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I'm going to go watch a movie, play another game, or maybe sit back relax and read some comics. All of this debating about how the game can be improved is pointless. Why can't we all see that we all enjoy the game to an extent and ALL want it to IMPROVE. No one would be here if they truly hated the game.

Everyone is entitled to what they believe is bad about a game and what they believe needs to be improved. Arguing about these opinions is as bad as arguing about chocolate being better than vanilla. You can list every example in the world but you must know that it is very difficult to change someone else outlook on certain subjects.

Now I know my post wont change anything and you guys will continue to debate about this. But Eh I tried. I'll be waiting patiently for when the game returns and check later. I need to catch up on my New 52 series anyway