test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

"punish without warning first"

arider999arider999 Posts: 14 Arc User
edited December 2014 in Champions Online Discussion
I am posting this, cause i am really dissapointed from GM's behavor...feels like they dont care for CO players, they dont care if u are a golden=paying customer, they dont care if u are paying for more than 4 years subscription and purchasing zen... i suspect Navi is the one to blame for my issue of "punish without warning first".....-
I must make it clear, than i dont have a problem to correct a toons name or appearance, if it violates CO's terms, my problem is that i should have been warned first, given the chance to correct the issue before being punished. In my 4years+ in CO, only ONCE again i had being reported for a similar issue, i did get an email warning, the problem was fixed by my own actions. Bellow, i post the ticket as i submited it to CO, and getting for answer CRAP.

Ok, i am VERY pissed, i have a toon named Forge Rider, its a homage toon, and WITHOUT any warning, ANY email first to inform me that i violate CO's terms and i must change either the name of the appearance of my toon, i got genericed, lost all my 3 costumes. I am a gold player, more than 4 years, and i DEMAND respect, not treated like a silver player who's playing the game like 2-3 months. I believe, that someone of your GM's is not doing his work as he suppose, and that includes the WARNING to the player BEFORE he is convicted to become generic. Seriously, if u dont want subscribers, this is a good way to get ridd of them, I am VERY dissapointed.
Post edited by arider999 on

Comments

• chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    1. your subscription does not bestow special favour in obeying rules or receiving punishment.
    2. check your ingame mail. MY name change message came by ingame mail.

3. The report would have been handled by someone in Customer support, who would have looked at your costume and compared it to whoever the reporter said it looked like.

4. Posting your complaint about Customer service on the forums is a breach of the Terms of service for the forums.

5. IF that was your response to Customer service, I can expect you to get absolutely nowhere.
    and I'm now in breach of forum rules for replying to you, rather than just reporting it. My bad.
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • arider999arider999 Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    1. my subcription bestow the right to be WARNED before being punishment, not that silvers dont have the same rights, but even more, since i have spend buckets of money on this game
    2. no email, checked many times
    3. even if that was the issue, which allready i said i whould corrected if so, NEVER WARNED FIRST
    4. dont care
    5. maybe so, but i still need players to know that behavior from GM's
    u can report anything u like, some people just live to point fingers and not check their mirror image.
  • themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    arider999 wrote: »
    i DEMAND respect....

.............:eek:
    zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
  • eiledoneiledon Posts: 1,287 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    1. my subcription bestow the right to be WARNED before being punishment, not that silvers dont have the same rights, but even more, since i have spend buckets of money on this game
    2. no email, checked many times
    3. even if that was the issue, which allready i said i whould corrected if so, NEVER WARNED FIRST
    4. dont care
    5. maybe so, but i still need players to know that behavior from GM's
    u can report anything u like, some people just live to point fingers and not check their mirror image.

you agree to the TOS when you start the game. You break the TOS why should they warn you again for something you 'already read' and apparently ignored.
    edited December 2014
    and of course, acting like bulliies, they search my toons roster, and decided to generic 3 more, without being reported....great work, u DID make me regret that i have renew my subscription until june 2015...
  • jennymachxjennymachx Posts: 3,000 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Did you create your toon's appearance with the obvious intention of it being as identical as possible to the copyrighted source of the homage?

If the answer is yes, then that's asking to be made generic.
    edited December 2014
    I didn't say email, I said ingame mail. the stuff you get from the Mailbox in Ren center.
    Also as far as I know. For about the last 2 years, you get genericed straight off.
    http://www.arcgames.com/en/about/terms

15.3We may take any actions and impose any penalties we deem necessary to discourage and punish any violation of these terms or any other illegal or inappropriate conduct, all without prior notice or warning. The determination as to whether a violation has occurred and who is responsible for such act is solely within our discretion, and is based on what we deem best for the community and the Service. By using the Service, you agree you will be bound by our determination as to whether a violation has occurred and any penalty we choose to implement.

• riveroceanriverocean Posts: 1,690 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    and of course, acting like bulliies, they search my toons roster, and decided to generic 3 more, without being reported....great work, u DID make me regret that i have renew my subscription until june 2015...

So you broke the TOS multiple times (by your own admission) - and are shocked you were genericed? I don't think you're going to find much sympathy here.
    Questions About AT Play? Visit Silverwolfx11's Updated AT Guides!
    edited December 2014
    http://support.arcgames.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3964/p/101
    Costume Policies

Champions Online offers an incredibly customizable character/costume creator. We understand that you may want to emulate a favorite costume that you know from another source; we ask you be aware of the following guidelines when creating your champion.

You may not create costumes or costume/name combinations that are recognizable as the registered property of any company. (This includes things such as: comics, anime, movies, or video games.)
    When creating costume combinations, you may not create the illusion or appearance that you are indecent, obscene, or nude.

Policy Violations

If characters are found in violation of this policy, it may lead to disciplinary actions against the offending account. This could include suspension from the game or possibly account termination. Any character name or name/costume combinations which are against Cryptic’s Policy will be changed by Cryptic/PWE Support Staff.

• pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    and of course, acting like bulliies, they search my toons roster, and decided to generic 3 more, without being reported....great work...
    Agreed, it is great work, or at least good work, taking the extra effort of being proactive about checking for violations. PWE is in no way obligated to wait for a report before taking action against a TOS violation, it's just that they don't have the staff to personally vet everyone's costume so they rely on reports for where to check first.
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Putting a 'Rider' to the end of the charactername doesn't protect you from getting genericed....
    And ofcourse, knowing difference between a homage and a clone.
    Did the other 3 get genericed without a reason no whatsoever? Or?
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    edited December 2014
    flyingfinn wrote: »
    Putting a 'Rider' to the end of the charactername doesn't protect you from getting genericed....
    And ofcourse, knowing difference between a homage and a clone.
    Did the other 3 get genericed without a reason no whatsoever? Or?

the other 3, had ONE costume, that was homage, nothing more, so was the first that they gnericed, we talking about toons with 10+ costumes each.
  • eiledoneiledon Posts: 1,287 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    flyingfinn wrote: »

ahh. just made the connection. explains a lot.

As far as I can tell from personal experience (by my own fault when I first started I fell foul of the TOS because I didnt read it), their system doesn't permit individual costumes to be cleared - its all or nothing.

The only other thing they can do is physically delete individual costume slots ( I know this because someone asked for it to be done because they had got to the point that their tailor was hanging when they were viewing costumes so they gave up some slots)
  • chalupaoffurychalupaoffury Posts: 2,553 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    One man's homage is another man's clone.

It costs like 20g to redo a costume, and I'm 99% sure when they generic the first change is free. Take it as a lesson learned. They coulda banned you.
    In game, I am @EvilTaco. Happily killing purple gang members since May 2008.
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine
    edited December 2014
    One man's homage is another man's clone.

It costs like 20g to redo a costume, and I'm 99% sure when they generic the first change is free. Take it as a lesson learned. They coulda banned you.

Sadly, my costumes are a piece of me, i spend a lot of time designing them, i love each and everyone of them. Its not a G issue, in games terms, i am fiflthy rich, but they take parts of my love for CO away....maybe they banned me after all..i dont feel like logging....not sure if again.
  • nextnametakennextnametaken Posts: 2,212 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Characters who are in violation should be 'renewed' like in Logan's Run.
    Their characters should be swept into a vortex above RenCen, then exploded.

Maybe every character can get a little copyright crystal in the palm of their hand, that glows white when they are clear of copyright claims, but then throbs blood red when they are no longer inline with the TOS.

Maybe a copyright lawyer will stand up to the system and free all the people.
    Yeah, Lawyer's Run!
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,318 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I've managed to make somewhere in the neighborhood of 30 toons or so overall, with multiple costumes on some. I even have a handful of homage toons (Ferrous Gentleman, Spider-Bat, the Duck Knight...). And somehow, I've never once recreated an existing character's exact look, nor even gotten close enough for the question to be asked.

Bluhman's made more toons over the years than there are typically people hanging around RenCen on any given day, and he's a veritable font of originality.

I'm afraid you won't find much sympathy for your trademark violations around here...
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
  • xydaxydaxydaxyda Posts: 817 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Always save your costume files folks.

...especially if one of them is in a violation of TOS.
    edited December 2014
    jonsills wrote: »
    I'm afraid you won't find much sympathy for your trademark violations around here...

yes, obviously, my post acts as a beecon for the homage haters and all around reporters. At least, PWE/CRYPTIC's attitude has made some people happy.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    yes, obviously, my post acts as a beecon for the homage haters and all around reporters. At least, PWE/CRYPTIC's attitude has made some people happy.
    Here's my thought.... Why? what purpose does making a copy of a comic book character serve?
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • warcanchwarcanch Posts: 1,104 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I have sympathy for your lost, un-saved costumes.

Beyond that, LEARN FROM THE EXPERIENCE. Not telling you to NOT rant and rave. But, many of us have "been there, done that" and learned the hard way, as well.

So, piss and moan, rant and rave, then, when you've run out of steam, you'll see this as a valuable LIFE lesson. And then, hopefully, you'll try to NOT repeat the same. Doesn't always happen. We still have to learn some things the hard way.

-=-=-=-=-=-(CO in-game handle: @WarCan )-=-=-=-=-=-
    "Okay, you're DEAD, what do you do NEXT?"
  • warcanchwarcanch Posts: 1,104 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Here's my thought.... Why? what purpose does making a copy of a comic book character serve?

Because we ENJOY them enough in their original format and would LIKE to PLAY as that character. It's one of the things that draws us to what we like. IE I like cooking shows and like to cook.

The unfortunate thing is, here, you violate the rules if you create an EXACT clone of the character. Easy enough to toss a few minor alterations to allow you to play AS the character you like. Then, of course, you can be totally original, too.

-=-=-=-=-=-(CO in-game handle: @WarCan )-=-=-=-=-=-
    "Okay, you're DEAD, what do you do NEXT?"
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,318 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Okay, time for some examples:

Spider-Bat.
    Spider-Bat.png
    Clearly inspired by both Spider-Man and Batman - yet clearly not going to be confused for either one. Parody rules can be fun!

Spider-Bat's former sidekick, Blackwing.
    NewBlackwing_zps7fa94c75.png
    The homage to Nightwing is, I think, pretty clear - but again, the design still manages to be original.

The Ferrous Gentleman.
    FerrousGentleman_zps309515f6.png
    Steampunk Iron Man, using Victorian-era design cues. I also crafted his backstory to fit a steampunk style; the suit was originally designed by Charles Babbage, but like his Analytical Engine, it simply couldn't be built using the era's materials and manufacturing techniques. His descendant James Babbage found the designs in an old chest, and built it using modern technologies, with a few improvements...

So as I said, you can make an excellent homage without having to clone anybody.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
  • drgmstrdrgmstr Posts: 886 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I think we should make jonsills our 'Is it homage or clone?' officer. :biggrin:

Handle: @drgmstr

"Embrace your dreams"

Come Check Out My PRIMUS Database Page!
    edited December 2014

Ok, maybe i was not clear enough from he start. i DONT make copy heroes, aka clones, i make original ones, but my sin is, that they have one or 2 costumes that they are homages. Based on that, they deleted 10+ costumes in each toon they decided that it violates the terms with the one or 2 costumes. If u all think this is fair, i muist see things from a very different prespective. They had a problem with on or 2 costumes? send a email warning to change those, as they used to do, and if not, generic THOSE costumes, not all the others.
  • mrhinkypunkmrhinkypunk Posts: 1,569 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Tell me about it...

Also there is punish without doing anything which is a good one. Especially when it is a perma ban on an account with two exclusive pre-order aura's and over £500 put into it over time. :)

Shhh though, we aren't supposed to talk about bans.
  • oddbirdyoddbirdy Posts: 176 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    You had my sympathy at "my homage got reset for cloning without warning"

...and then you repeatedly pulled out this "I should get special privileges for being Gold" card and lost it.

I'm Lifetime, still spending money on the game, and I fully expect the same treatment as a Silver player because I expect userbase-wide treatment to be the same regarding rules. Nobody pays to get to break the rules or to get leeway on them. You don't get to pay for the right to break a rule, intentionally or otherwise, ever.
  • stergasterga Posts: 2,353 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    You have more money than sense. Grats. Now, get over yourself.
    YouTube - Steam - Twitter
    [at]riviania Member since Aug 2009
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Are spike head and evil-pony having a picnic together somewhere? u3u
  • stergiosmanstergiosman Posts: 717 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    ... Its not a G issue, in games terms, i am fiflthy rich...i dont feel like logging....

Can I haz ur stuff?
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    gradii wrote: »
    I suddenly have a terrible urge to make a toon called Spike Head with a nemesis Evil-Pony.

Spike Head never wanted to be a hero. Spike Head wanted to be a hiker. a PROFESSIONAL hiker.

But just when he was sooo close to achieving his dream, his partner Evil-Pony betrayed him at a picnic.

From then on, the old Spike Head was no more, he was now a HERO FOR JUSTICE and would bring
    Evil-Pony and all the rest of the evil-doers in.

the end???.... :tongue:

And then they became moderators on a forum together... collusion! o3o
  • mrhinkypunkmrhinkypunk Posts: 1,569 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    spinnytop wrote: »
    And then they became moderators on a forum together... collusion! o3o

And then they banned people for talking about banned people.

And then they planted a banner to make sure people understand that if you wanna ban for talking about banning and the banned people then you too will be banned because the banner said so.

And then I went off topic and used and at the start of every sentence.
  • ealford1985ealford1985 Posts: 3,582 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I am posting this, cause i am really dissapointed from GM's behavor...feels like they dont care for CO players, they dont care if u are a golden=paying customer, they dont care if u are paying for more than 4 years subscription and purchasing zen... i suspect Navi is the one to blame for my issue of "punish without warning first".....-
    I must make it clear, than i dont have a problem to correct a toons name or appearance, if it violates CO's terms, my problem is that i should have been warned first, given the chance to correct the issue before being punished. In my 4years+ in CO, only ONCE again i had being reported for a similar issue, i did get an email warning, the problem was fixed by my own actions. Bellow, i post the ticket as i submited it to CO, and getting for answer CRAP.

Ok, i am VERY pissed, i have a toon named Forge Rider, its a homage toon, and WITHOUT any warning, ANY email first to inform me that i violate CO's terms and i must change either the name of the appearance of my toon, i got genericed, lost all my 3 costumes. I am a gold player, more than 4 years, and i DEMAND respect, not treated like a silver player who's playing the game like 2-3 months. I believe, that someone of your GM's is not doing his work as he suppose, and that includes the WARNING to the player BEFORE he is convicted to become generic. Seriously, if u dont want subscribers, this is a good way to get ridd of them, I am VERY dissapointed.

Perhaps learn how to make a proper homage. You were warned before...you only have yourself to blame this time.
  • pallihwtfpallihwtf Posts: 677 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    YOU ARE ALL BANNED AND YOU CAN JUST

13610882.gif?aae25b7086acdd7f4028faeb7cc3323e1f3669a266aba8b22e1e715d45ca922fb77765fd60d9d01e2605d67dc69dd0db

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    @Pallih in game
  • kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    gradii wrote: »
    THIS is the worst abuse you can think of for THIS GM? :eek:

Seriously, I've heard of Navi being responsible for much, much worse. For once he was actually doing what he was supposed to be doing. Clones are against the TOS. If you can't deal with that? The door's over there....
  • biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Going to lock this thread.

Some advice, you should post your costume on the forums and get some advice from people to see if the name and costume are too close to the real deal. For instance, if your character's name is Forge Rider and his costume is like a spot-on Forge, you'll get nailed for that, for sure. I'm sure people will be happy to help you out.
    biffsig.jpg
This discussion has been closed.