test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

New Robot Samurai Costume Set (+Katana!)

trailturtletrailturtle Posts: 5,496 Perfect World Employee
edited November 2013 in Super News Network
Hey all,

Thanks everyone for your patience while we debug the VetRewards issue. We don't like making you wait, so we're pulling back the curtain on a new costume set you can get after maintenance: the Robot Samurai.

This costume set was available earlier only as a transformation in the Anniversary Lockbox, but now you can mix 'n' match it with your other costumes! This set includes a number of costume pieces, like a straw hat, one-sleeve gi, and a high-tech robot body.

Plus, the katana that the Robot Samurai wields isn't just a back piece -- it can be used with your Heavy Weapons, Single Blade, and Dual Blade powers. (The version used with Blade powers is a little smaller, as befits the style.)

Read the blog for more info. Hope you like this sneak-peek at this costume set, folks, we'll have the servers back as soon as we can!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,618 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    And there it is!

Though does the weapon if used on your back disappear when using your powers?

Edit:

Apparently it does judging how its worded in the blog.
  • nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Oh gad a giant katana blade. Think of all the 'Roth clones that will appear ._.

Still more costumes yay \o/ Ima mix and match this with the cardboard box to make my Paper Craft ninja :D
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • bellatorrexbellatorrex Posts: 169 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    *Throws roses at the costume pack* Be with me my love!
    Not to burst the bubble Gradii, but I don't think the piece is removed when in-use.

It doesn't say anywhere that it does or doesn't, so I'm gonna wait and see. Would be cool if it did, but don't get your hopes up.

Also, sweet set.
    @HangingDeath

Deliciously nutritious!
  • trailturtletrailturtle Posts: 5,496 Perfect World Employee
    edited November 2013
    And there it is!

Edit:

Hrm. My apologies, folks, I must have had the wrong wording in there. Unfortunately, it does not disappear from your back when in use; that worked on the be-critter, but we had to make special exceptions/coding to make that happen, it couldn't be done for a general costume piece. Sorry about that!
  • eiledoneiledon Posts: 1,287 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    isnt there a way to purloin the code that was added to STO to have weapons visible when holstered?
  • avianosavianos Posts: 6,116 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    A new Costume Pack so soon? :DDDD OH MY GOSH! we are getting back at it!

By the way is the, is the Partial Martial Gi the Become Robot Samurai is wearing available in teh back as well...?

I see the Robot Samurai in article picture is topless... I really want the Martial Gi :frown:
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
    edited November 2013
    I don't think that is possible considering Champs uses a older engine than STO. Though, lets look on the bright side, new costume pieces means new ideas and new ideas means new good and bad costumes (hopefully good) and that means... Cyborg Samurai SG! Okay kidding on that last part.
    avianos wrote: »
    By the way is the, is the Partial Martial Gi the Become Robot Samurai is wearing available in teh back as well...?

I see the Robot Samurai in article picture is topless... I really want the Martial Gi :frown:

Yep! It's marked as One-Sleeved Gi, I believe.

gradii wrote: »
    I certainly hope the augmented skin isnt male only. I have so many combos planned with that piece.

Female as well. If you look at it in the web C-Store, you can see a female version in the banners -- you can't see a lot of the augmented skin, but it's there.
    edited November 2013
    I doubt it's male only, I mean, do you expect everyone to roll a female toon all the time? I mean if it was a female cyborg samurai up in that blog someone would say "I hope it isn't female only." And, if it is in the male only section, then that is a bug that needs fixing... like halloween masks being labeled headwear instead of eye accessory, but I digress.
    It's both female and male. :smile:
  • mensarmensar Posts: 294 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    true. I only roll all female toons because I have a hard time getting male ones to look just right. the male faces tend to come out wrong.

Most of us don't spend a lot of time staring at the faces of our characters... which brings us to the SECOND reason some men decide to make female characters.

The staring at a butt, might as well make it female - thing.

Personally.. I just use capes.

This message brought to you by the superhero:
    Bacon Overlord

All available action figures, check.
    Hit the global cap, check.
    All lore and event perks done, check.
    All 1K mob perks done, check.
    All nemesis mob perks done, check.
    Break 20,000 perk points, check.
    Complete all 5K perk points, stay tuned!

Come see me on steam (be friends, drink fine wines, clink glasses and KILL STUFF ONLINE!)
  • lukas0611lukas0611 Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    The Server will be back sooon ?!
    edited November 2013
    lukas0611 wrote: »
    The Server will be back sooon ?!

We don't have an updated timeline just yet, I'm afraid. Stay tuned!
    edited November 2013
    mensar wrote: »
    The staring at a butt, might as well make it female - thing.

Speak for your Self HAHAHA! XD
    I do Enjoy my Male Characters' Booty
    stupidsexysnake_2.gif
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
    edited November 2013
    with me, the face is important, helps develop more of a connection with your toon. I use capes as well, although not on all my toons.

I'm the same way. One of Iris' defining features, for me, is her smirk.
  • thelastsonofzodthelastsonofzod Posts: 658 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    So here's the real question...

Can the Raiden hat be worn on a bear head?

Cause I totally need that piece for my asian polar bear ice mage.

His name is Kohka Kohla :)
    edited November 2013
    So here's the real question...

Can the Raiden hat be worn on a bear head?

Cause I totally need that piece for my asian polar bear ice mage.

His name is Kohka Kohla :)

... huh. Not sure! I'll be interested to hear the answer, that sounds like a cool concept.
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Thanks!
    moustache.gif
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • thelastsonofzodthelastsonofzod Posts: 658 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    flyingfinn wrote: »
    Thanks!
    moustache.gif

That...rather adequately describes my feelings towards not being able to play right now :P
  • gaarafrednorrispgaarafrednorrisp Posts: 504 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    true. I only roll all female toons because I have a hard time getting male ones to look just right. the male faces tend to come out wrong.

Really? I get my male faces to look just as I want them... unless there's specific traits needed. The problem is with the changes on most of the cheek and jaw sliders not being too noticeable until they're combined with other changes. That and the looks can change drastically with different accessories. Same with women.

HOWEVER, I rarely touch the face if it's not important. Most of my heroes wear masks or glasses or such.. so the eye and cheek looks don't matter as much to me on them.

Same goes for body sliders.
    AWWWW CHAMPIONS UNIVERSE! DON'T YOU DARE. BE SOUR. CLAP FOR YOUR NIGHTMARE AND FEEEEEEEEEEEL THE POWAAAAAAH!
    edited November 2013
    I generally try and make my toons more realistically proportioned, so the chest isn't as wide as it is in default, and I generally slim up the jaw and chin by a good bit. I also shorten the waist up sometimes and maybe the legs or arms, depends. But, I have a habit of always stopping and looking at my costumes so I can see if I really like it, if it pops, it if fits, and if it doesn't... to the drawing board!
    The Samurai hat works with all the beast heads! Some minor clipping...but hey, their ears need space, right? :)
    edited November 2013
    The Samurai hat works with all the beast heads! Some minor clipping...but hey, their ears need space, right? :)

HECK YEAH!!! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
    6A3B84A9730C3DE33CBDA853A55DE25BF1211461
    I tested it on my KungFu WereBear as well
  • cybersoldier1981cybersoldier1981 Posts: 2,501 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    BUYS INSTANTLY F THE POLICE.

Thanks!

THIS IS AWESOME!!!!
    edited November 2013
    May wanna look into adjusting the sword on the back. Change the position or angle. Cuts my booty (Serious clipping).
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Would look better on waist.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • shadowzero66shadowzero66 Posts: 331 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Really? I get my male faces to look just as I want them... unless there's specific traits needed. The problem is with the changes on most of the cheek and jaw sliders not being too noticeable until they're combined with other changes. That and the looks can change drastically with different accessories. Same with women.

HOWEVER, I rarely touch the face if it's not important. Most of my heroes wear masks or glasses or such.. so the eye and cheek looks don't matter as much to me on them.

Same goes for body sliders.
    well I generally prefer a different less decidedly chiseled or macho look, and I find that hard to do with the male faces. and I wont try and make a "male" toon with the female body base.

"so and so saved the day when SHE put a stop to the qularr"

so and so: I always get that. :frown:

It is significantly more difficult to do characters that don't have more exaggerated tertiary sexual characteristics (I think that's the correct terminology), male or female. Want a lean androgynous guy? Or a flat-chested willowy gal? Prepare to spend a lot of time getting something somewhat resembling that. The faces themselves are even more difficult. I've noticed there's a strong Eastern-Western divide on this thing. Eastern games tend to tone down the tertiary sexual characteristics whereas Western games play it up.

I still try to make such characters despite the pain. Even when I'm not, I do play around with the faces a bit so that all of my characters don't have the exact same face. But sometimes I just want to play my new character, so I'll finish the body (or most of it) first and work on the face in the tailor when I have the time.

Still better than trying to make female non-mammalian characters...

There seems to be a trend for new costume pieces to be usable across most categories. I'd definitely like to see it continue with new pieces and even get a similar "costume pass" for older pieces.
    Grind for the Grind God! Tokens for the Token Throne!
  • menotrpamenotrpa Posts: 165 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    those boots.....:D

i look forward to upgrading spectre's armour

• flamingbunnymanflamingbunnyman Posts: 2,035 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    avianos wrote: »
    HECK YEAH!!! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
    6A3B84A9730C3DE33CBDA853A55DE25BF1211461
    I tested it on my KungFu WereBear as well

Not sure if you just made Sekimen the happiest bear ever (because he finally has a hat) or the saddest (because that isn't a Real Soviet Hat).
    Glad to see a lot more costumes coming in lately. I might just get back into the game if it doesn't lagg as much for me. I wish I didn't live so far away from the server. :(

But still.. loving these new updates. heh
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Handle:@XG3NX

Champions Online.. where we sell lockboxes by the dozen.
    edited November 2013
    Notes, comments, suggestions.

For the guys who made this costume happen, I'm very pleased with it. I'm a big fan of tech-ish costumes, and this one offered a lot of options for a few different costumes I'm using. A new weapon is a welcome addition.

But, I have to point out these minor concerns-

1- There are some clipping issues with the tights for the legs, they seem to clip through any kind of skirt you wear, this making it impossible for me to be a kilt-wearing killing machine.

2- While I am quite fine with the one split in my buttocks area, the Robot Samurai sword worn on the back seems to be determined to create another. This is quite uncomfortable. This could be fixed probably by changing the placement point and angle of the weapon.

3- I have been know to develop an ego, however the size of the Robot Samurai head seems to be a little off- while I can adjust the sliders, it seems to make it impossible to add most of the other face, eye, and mouth accessories due to this scaling issue. It seems abnormally large.

Those are the only woes I've found at this point.

Questions:

1- When will we see changes in the Laser Sword set to offer some diversity? If not a change in the shape of the blade, perhaps adding more 'tech' swords from the existing models to that power set would make it more diverse and interesting.

2- Will we see the Cyber Ninja katana any time soon? I was almost surprised it wasn't included in this pack to match with the theme.
    edited November 2013
    I agree with Cybersoldier on the Samurai's head, it is rather big. Though it does have slightly fun uses in the insect catagory.
    Hopefully, this isn't a repeat report:

Bug: The chest piece is missing the Cloth material.

The legs piece has Cloth, Leather and Metal options, but the chest only has Leather and Metal.
    Either for the website or in-game, there should probably be a pic of the sword in its weapon forms instead of just the back piece.
    "Interesting builds are born from limitations not by letting players put everything into one build."

-Sterga
  • somenoobssomenoobs Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I'm not sure if anyone has reported this before but the female robot samurai leg accessories doesn't show up tailor options I'm aware of (all skirts, tights, and hip wear). However, it is selectable from the costume piece search. After applying it, the leg accessory looks like someone forgot to apply materials onto it. It's one single flat texture that looks nothing like the one shown in z-store.
    edited November 2013
    somenoobs wrote: »
    I'm not sure if anyone has reported this before but the female robot samurai leg accessories doesn't show up tailor options I'm aware of (all skirts, tights, and hip wear). However, it is selectable from the costume piece search. After applying it, the leg accessory looks like someone forgot to apply materials onto it. It's one single flat texture that looks nothing like the one shown in z-store.

There's an option for 'riveted' on the male versions.
  • tfavsb10tfavsb10 Posts: 309 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    And there it is!

Edit:

Tested it sadly no!
  • bioshrikebioshrike Posts: 5,491 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I haven't visited these boards in a while. Glad to see we're finally getting some C-Store sets. I don't have access to the game ATM - anybody have pics of the full set? The C-Store screenshots seem to be of just the upper body. I'm interested if the set includes more than juts the hat, shoulder pads, bracers, and sword...

Thanks all!
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
    edited November 2013
    bioshrike wrote: »
    I haven't visited these boards in a while. Glad to see we're finally getting some C-Store sets. I don't have access to the game ATM - anybody have pics of the full set? The C-Store screenshots seem to be of just the upper body. I'm interested if the set includes more than juts the hat, shoulder pads, bracers, and sword...

Thanks all!

-It's got 'tights' for the chest and legs, available in all materials except cloth on one.

-A one-sleeve samurai shirt thing

-Bracers and boots

-A single blade/dual blade sword and a big heavy weapon sword

-Heavy weapon sword for wear on the back

-A head model that's a bit oversized, males and females have vastly different heads

-Shoulder pads

-leg pads

-A bow that goes above your butt

-A crotch cloth thing made of samurai armor stuff

-a sweaty high-five

I forget anything?
  • bioshrikebioshrike Posts: 5,491 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    -It's got 'tights' for the chest and legs, available in all materials except cloth on one.

-A one-sleeve samurai shirt thing

-Bracers and boots

-A single blade/dual blade sword and a big heavy weapon sword

-Heavy weapon sword for wear on the back

-A head model that's a bit oversized, males and females have vastly different heads

-Shoulder pads

-leg pads

-A bow that goes above your butt

-A crotch cloth thing made of samurai armor stuff

-a sweaty high-five

I forget anything?

Ah! TYVM for the exhaustive list. I'll probably pick this up when I get the chance.

UPDATE: So I picked up the Robot Samurai and Bone Armor sets w/ stipends I had saved up. There are some really nice pieces between these two sets. My only disappointment was in finding that the single-shoulder gi top isn't available in both left and right variants for both sexes, (at least not when I was checking). I'd also have liked another pattern or 2 for the hat - the rivets don't seem to be able to take a different color, and you're always stuck w/ the gradient pattern. Either way, some pieces I can definitely use!
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums