test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Maintenance shouldnt be for us?

honestresearcherhonestresearcher Posts: 657 Arc User
Why do you take CO down almost every 2 days? Surely its not that unstable...its because of NW isnt it...
Post edited by honestresearcher on

Comments

• Options
    mushermusher Posts: 166 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Well no, it's just that freeforms grew so powerful it tore a hole between our dimension and the digital world, damaging the servers, and they need to patch both the server and the space-time continuum.
    edited May 2013
    Isn't everything?

You're a lunatic with a mad man's dream of a milk proof robot!

Server hamster is not a D&D fan and so is making everyone pay..

..but I think it is down to how to how the network infrastructure is set up - shared equipment across games i think - hence we can chat across STO, CO and NWO.
  • Options
    kinster2kinster2 Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    the 3 games use the same engine. so it's reasonable that all the games are taken down because of that......so while this game is down the devs should really take the time to maybe throw in the much need bug fixes.... theyve had enough time to throw in multiple bug patches since NW went live beta....
  • Options
    vitalityprimevitalityprime Posts: 478 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    kinster2 wrote: »
    the 3 games use the same engine. so it's reasonable that all the games are taken down because of that......so while this game is down the devs should really take the time to maybe throw in the much need bug fixes.... theyve had enough time to throw in multiple bug patches since NW went live beta....

Tell that to the "Bullet Bound for Bizelle" mission.
    _________
    VARIANT

"Nearly all men can withstand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."

-Abraham Lincoln-
  • Options
    zahinderzahinder Posts: 2,382 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I imagine the convenience and cost-saving of running everything on one architecture is wearing thin nowadays.
    Campaign: The Fenwick Cycle NWS-DKR9GB7KH

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
  • Options
    trailturtletrailturtle Posts: 5,496 Perfect World Employee
    edited May 2013
    Why do you take CO down almost every 2 days? Surely its not that unstable...its because of NW isnt it...

CO has recently gone through instability, as have the other two Cryptic games. This is not about CO in particular, but the network. This is -- as I understand it -- unrelated to Neverwinter, surprising as that is. This maintenance should fix the issue, and in fact the fix has just finished being applied.
  • Options
    flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Because of the Cluster.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    eiledoneiledon Posts: 1,287 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    CO has recently gone through instability, as have the other two Cryptic games. This is not about CO in particular, but the network. This is -- as I understand it -- unrelated to Neverwinter, surprising as that is. This maintenance should fix the issue, and in fact the fix has just finished being applied.

The fix has just finished being applied ..

WeEeEeEeEe!

..caffeine for the server hamster
  • Options
    towershield#4714 towershield Posts: 1,208 Arc User
    edited May 2013

As was stated by someone else in another thread, I find it highly unlikely that these bouts of instability and and the increased traffic from Neverwinter allegedly aren't related to each other. Especially when nearly the same thing happened when STO took off.
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________
  • Options
    wethree1wethree1 Posts: 149 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'd say Champions needs emergency development at least as badly as it needs emergency maintenance.
  • Options
    kylexiii#1660 kylexiii Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    As was stated by someone else in another thread, I find it highly unlikely that these bouts of instability and and the increased traffic from Neverwinter allegedly aren't related to each other. Especially when nearly the same thing happened when STO took off.

I honestly don't know how they can hand-wave it as something that's not related to NWO at all. NWO is put up, then these sudden problems. If it's not because of NWO then it is horribly coincidental.
  • Options
    x0y1x0y1 Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Well for more information: http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/devtracker.php
    This was an emergency one we decided to perform because new network hardware came in and we decided to install them to ensure an even smoother performance for Open Beta. This update should resolve many of the issues we've seen since April 30, 2013. Thanks for your patience.

I hope the fix the problem, however I think I should send cryptic a postcard with the major holidays outside USA. First problems on International Workers' Day and now Ascension Day. Good timing. :tongue:
  • Options
    sistersiliconsistersilicon Posts: 1,687 Arc User
    edited May 2013

An old network switch, on its last legs to begin with, getting knocked out sooner by Neverwinter traffic? That makes sense to me. It could have failed when Legacy of Romulus launched, or maybe because the switch could never get the hang of Thursdays. Who knows? Neverwinter certainly didn't help, but I think it's fair to say it wasn't directly responsible.
    Choose your enemies carefully, because they will define you / Make them interesting, because in some ways they will mind you
    They're not there in the beginning, but when your story ends / Gonna last with you longer than your friends
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Nice of em to leave all that info on NW.
  • Options
    edited May 2013

It's possible that I've misread the information I've gotten, or misunderstood the causes of the issue -- it could be that the strain of NW caused this. I freely admit that I don't completely understand the explanation I've gotten.

Either way, the server should be up shortly -- we're whitegloving it right now.

EDIT: The server is back up, thanks everyone for your patience.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    It's possible that I've misread the information I've gotten, or misunderstood the causes of the issue -- it could be that the strain of NW caused this. I freely admit that I don't completely understand the explanation I've gotten.

Either way, the server should be up shortly -- we're whitegloving it right now.

EDIT: The server is back up, thanks everyone for your patience.

Classic.

This is why you're awesome.
    _________
    VARIANT

"Nearly all men can withstand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."

-Abraham Lincoln-
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    TT's awesome because although his job is hard and things are never given to him clearly and he probably isnt given enough to work with, he comes out and says what he knows.

According to the book of past reps, TT's #1 by far. Thank you for putting up with us, while we put up with what we have to deal with on CO. <3
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    TT's awesome because although his job is hard and things are never given to him clearly and he probably isnt given enough to work with, he comes out and says what he knows.

According to the book of past reps, TT's #1 by far. Thank you for putting up with us, while we put up with what we have to deal with on CO. <3

My point exactly...along with his humor still intact.
    _________
    VARIANT

-Abraham Lincoln-
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Correlation is not causation. Until someone up and tells us just what the frak broke, all we're left with is the assurance that they don't believe the two are related.

There is, at present, insufficient data to reach a meaningful conclusion either way.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
  • Options
    towershield#4714 towershield Posts: 1,208 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    jonsills wrote: »
    Correlation is not causation. Until someone up and tells us just what the frak broke, all we're left with is the assurance that they don't believe the two are related.

There is, at present, insufficient data to reach a meaningful conclusion either way.

We've already been given a link to the NW Dev tracker and from there it was easy to find the thread where a dev posted about replacing a piece of network hardware. There's a direct correlation between a sharp increase in network traffic causing network instability and the fact that said network traffic increase was due to a new game coming online.

TT already said he may have been reading the report wrong when he told us that these issues and their subsequent downtimes weren't related to Neverwinter and that's perfectly understandable. Especially if the report came from the engineers that were fixing the issue; communication isn't a network engineer's forte.
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________
  • Options
    atringatring Posts: 233 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Post hoc, ergo propter hoc?

I don't think a sudden burst in network traffic is an unheard of reason for an aging piece of gear to fail. Or a not-so-aging one, for that matter.

Part of the problem since December, 2012.
  • Options
    smoochansmoochan Posts: 2,564 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    x0y1 wrote: »

Click link, first post is complaining about bugged powers and contains the phrase "not sure how these bugs made it out of closed beta".

I'm lovin' it. M.

Champions Online: Be the hero you wish you could be in a better game.
  • Options
    jennymachxjennymachx Posts: 3,000 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    smoochan wrote: »

Click link, first post is complaining about bugged powers and contains the phrase "not sure how these bugs made it out of closed beta".

I'm lovin' it. M.

Dgt01.gif
  • Options
    gaelyn1gaelyn1 Posts: 193 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It's natural to do a maintenance with all the upgrades, bug fixes and the big load of new playable content we have each month on CO.
    Thanks to Cryptic. It's good to see their support for CO.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    gaelyn1 wrote: »
    It's natural to do a maintenance with all the upgrades, bug fixes and the big load of new playable content we have each month on CO.
    Thanks to Cryptic. It's good to see their support for CO.

What?

/10chars
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    jennymachx wrote: »
    What?

/10chars
    It seems to have been a clumsy attempt at sarcasm. Apparently, maintenance is unimportant if there hasn't been any content added.

Because if you've been neglecting that stuck window in the kitchen and haven't repainted or replaced broken furniture in a while, of course you shouldn't be paying attention to that leaky gas line in the basement...
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

• Options
    edited May 2013
    It seems to have been a clumsy attempt at sarcasm. Apparently, maintenance is unimportant if there hasn't been any content added.

Because if you've been neglecting that stuck window in the kitchen and haven't repainted or replaced broken furniture in a while, of course you shouldn't be paying attention to that leaky gas line in the basement...

I guess the sarcasm flew over my head, and I agree that it's silly to think that maintenance is relevant only when there's new content added.
  • Options
    gaelyn1gaelyn1 Posts: 193 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    yes, it's idiot to think a mmo need upgrades, bug fixes or new playable content every each month.

Strange, you have only read what's you wanted to read... Oh, jon sills. Ok, it's not a mistake.

I see only 2 MC channels, 87 players in mc#1, 79 in mc#2. It seems that a lot of players don't think is irrelevant to have devs 's working on a mmo because there is not a lot on this game anymore. Right ?

I hope you will have fun with this game, until it shutdown, very soon if they don't do anything else than some empty maintenances.

If you are happy with these patchnotes, it's cool for you: http://co.perfectworld.com/news/?tag=co-patch-notes
    2 months for the first (little) page. You can see all the hard work cryptic has made since 6 months on this game. lol.

Personnally, i see patchnotes of some others games and i can see a big difference.
    Swtor : http://www.swtor.com/patchnotes (every 15 days)
    Even Dcuo i don't like it but it have a lot more than co: (without saying they have now a better housing than us on co, less expensive than our hideouts.
    https://www.dcuniverseonline.com/gameupdates/?locale=fr_FR

Have a lot of fun with your empty maintenances, your character editor and the creation of your "puppets".
    I have a new map and a new 8 players 's lair to do (with some challenge, not designed for level 6 characters there) since a few days in a galaxy far far away.
    bye bye.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    NW has foundry. I may have mentioned that a few times.

I just played through 'Keep on the Borderlands' last night. It was very very fun. And went to a forgotten temple with secret doors and rooms. And fought drow on a skyship. And...

Yeah.

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
  • Options
    atringatring Posts: 233 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    <leafs thru copy of said module> Drow?

Part of the problem since December, 2012.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Maintenance keeps the servers running smoothly.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    No, it's idiotic to think an MMO doesn't need any maintenance just because nothing huge has been added lately. Do you think that "no regular updates" means the laws of entropy no longer apply to the servers?

Have fun in your galaxy far, far away, with its minimal customization and crappy graphics. (Oh, and monetization that makes Cryptic look like a charitable organization. Seriously, you have to pay to use the in-game mail system?)

• Options
    edited May 2013
    Has this thread really boiled down to a "my game is better than yours" fight?
    _________
    VARIANT

-Abraham Lincoln-
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    atring wrote: »
    <leafs thru copy of said module> Drow?

Er, sorry, those were three different missions.

And NW isn't 'my' game. But it's a shame playing with wonderful toys knowing IF ONLY I could be playing with them in CO. :/

• Options
    crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Cryptic's engine deteriorates over time. Its why some bugs appear out of nowhere and old bugs get even worse. Updates need to happen.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Or we could go back to launch-data when we all had the most fun.
  • Options
    zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Posts: 3,797 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    eiledon wrote: »
    Server hamster is not a D&D fan and so is making everyone pay..

..but I think it is down to how to how the network infrastructure is set up - shared equipment across games i think - hence we can chat across STO, CO and NWO.
    I know one hamster that's a D&D fan. Maybe CO should hire him to power the server.
    ZedBlock-200.jpg
  • Options
    danielpenfolddanielpenfold Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You do no it could be there side.
    I'm so happy :D
  • Options
    beldinbeldin Posts: 1,708 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    kinster2 wrote: »
    the 3 games use the same engine. so it's reasonable that all the games are taken down because of that.....

Ah .. now i finally know why i can't play Crisis when the A.ION Servers are down, because they use the same Engine .. this makes so much sense :biggrin:
    R607qMf.jpg