What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

The Foundry: THIS JUST IN!

Comments

• Options
    tacofoodsololtacofoodsolol Posts: 88 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    There's no need to be so negative. As promised, Jack Emmert is in the pondering phase.
  • Options
    kenpojujitsu3kenpojujitsu3 Posts: 1,320 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    foxyperson wrote: »
    UPDATE FROM JACK

"We're considering a number of different options. I can tell you that we've seen the interest in getting Foundry to Champions."

Have hope. These things take time, but we are being listened to. :)

In my Unicron voice: Your posting posture is....highly dubious!

No link, Update from Jack (Jack who? I'm not assuming which Jack...might be Handsome Jack), and it's the same thing we saw many many months ago.

Please.
    Freeform Builds Directory (Last updated: 04/23/2016)
    Serving since September, 2009 / 65 Characters, 63 Level 40's
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    ...Update from Jack (Jack who? I'm not assuming which Jack...might be Handsome Jack)...
    No, after the accident he changed his name to Gamma Jack. Didn't you read the files in the DVD Extras?

:smile:
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    kenpojujitsu3kenpojujitsu3 Posts: 1,320 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    jonsills wrote: »
    No, after the accident he changed his name to Gamma Jack. Didn't you read the files in the DVD Extras?

:smile:

Well nuts. I thought it was Inglewood jack :tongue:
    Freeform Builds Directory (Last updated: 04/23/2016)
    Serving since September, 2009 / 65 Characters, 63 Level 40's
  • Options
    somebobsomebob Posts: 980 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    UPDATE FROM JACK

"We're considering a number of different options. I can tell you that we've seen the interest in getting Foundry to Champions."

Have hope. These things take time, but we are being listened to. :)

Current link or I don't believe it. At all.

This sounds familiar though, from a few months back or something.
    Owner and Lead Moderator for the Primus Database. Post your Hero today!
    Razira's Primus Database Page
  • Options
    visionstorm01visionstorm01 Posts: 564 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    pion01 wrote: »

I call bull**** (not on you, on Jack).

They've "seen interest in getting the Foundry to Champions" for years now.

Note, there is no mention of "working on," "looking at," or whatever. They're considering... something, tho (shutting us down?).

A link for context would be nice.

Hugs.

Pretty much,

Even if they provide a link at this point I'll believe it when the foundry is finally in on Live (not even the PTS--I think we've seen enough stuff on PTS indefinitely not make it on Live for that not to mean much).
    somebob wrote: »
    Current link or I don't believe it. At all.

This sounds familiar though, from a few months back or something.

Nah, that's such a vague and as politically corporate answer that I could well believe Jack (or most computer game company spokespeople) would say it. Since that answer could mean everything from "we're considering shutting it down" to "we're considering restaffing it" or "we're considering a sequel" to "we're considering letting it languish as long as it doesn't lose us money".
    /CanadaBanner4.jpg
  • Options
    clcmercyclcmercy Posts: 308 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Well nuts. I thought it was Inglewood jack :tongue:

Actually, given that he plays STO quite a bit, he's Captain Jack. >_>

Occam's Razor makes the cutting clean.
  • Options
    zahinderzahinder Posts: 2,382 Arc User
    edited January 2013

'so STOP REQUESTING IT.'

is how I read it -- he's not telling us it's happening.
    Campaign: The Fenwick Cycle NWS-DKR9GB7KH

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
  • Options
    shreddoggshreddogg Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Combine sto rand co allowing for an alien vs champions experience. Requests for a villain side have been posted, why not villains from space. Would be a unique experience. Use your imagination consider the possibilities. We're they both written same engine? CO is a great game. Cryptic is the best m
  • Options
    afalconerafalconer Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I currently create Foundry missions for STO and would enjoy creating Champions missions as well.

Armand Falconer
  • Options
    foxypersonfoxyperson Posts: 251 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Earlier in the thread I had already posted a screenshot from facebook regarding Jack's first reply, and Trailturtle asked me to refrain from showing private correspondence.

Those who didn't believe the first screenshot wouldn't believe a second anyway, nor would they believe Jack himself posting, so I won't bother with naysayers or trolls.

As for the rest, I'll keep you posted on further developments. As you know, these things take time, but as soon as more things come up, I'll let you know. :)
  • Options
    deathsentry2012deathsentry2012 Posts: 149 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    This is excellent news, thank you!!
  • Options
    rokurocarisrokurocaris Posts: 1,074 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Yes, please! With a whole cherry tree on top! :biggrin:
  • Options
    johnnyquantumjohnnyquantum Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Yes, + one for Foundry in CO.

City of heroes had it, STO has it, and NW will have it.
  • Options
    sevenbitbrian7sevenbitbrian7 Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    YES, PLEASE!

I would spend so much money on Foundry slots. Already have an entire campaign of missions planned out, epic story I want to make.
  • Options
    deathsentry2012deathsentry2012 Posts: 149 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Same here, when I was in CoH I kept buying extra story slots, but with the mechanics and layouts here, I would definitely go broke at some point I'd be buying so many slots :-) :biggrin:

YES, PLEASE!

I would spend so much money on Foundry slots. Already have an entire campaign of missions planned out, epic story I want to make.
  • Options
    ozoaozoa Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Yes, Please.
  • Options
    flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    This thread needs to be closed.
    They actually start thinking we really want something.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
  • Options
    bwdaresbwdares Posts: 1,517 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    flyingfinn wrote: »
    This thread needs to be closed.
    They actually start thinking we really want something.

Agreed. It's obvious we want the Foundry, and I think it's even more obvious that we won't be getring it.
    #Mechanon!(completed) #New Zones! #Foundry!
  • Options
    towershield#4714 towershield Posts: 1,208 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    bwdares wrote: »
    Agreed. It's obvious we want the Foundry, and I think it's even more obvious that we won't be getring it.

You're missing the point. Finn is playing the reverse psychology card.
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________
  • Options
    darkspellbladedarkspellblade Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Yes, Please!
  • Options
    neguvielneguviel Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    please please please give us foundry
    I can haz catnip?
    I haz Pimus page!
  • Options
    variatasvariatas Posts: 141 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Yes, Please.
  • Options
    elasmiaelasmia Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    YES PLEASE!!!!!

i would make some pro arguments but common. everything has already been said to death
  • Options
    monaahirumonaahiru Posts: 3,073 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Yes Plz!!!!! :3
  • Options
    mechafrog438mechafrog438 Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Yes please!
  • Options
    mlmiimlmii Posts: 111 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Yes please.

--Doubt it will happen, but here's hoping...
  • Options
    kraylokchkraylokch Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Yes Please

My supergroup and I loved the architect in COH, and I've seen some great missions in STO.

We don't care about leveling or loot, we can get that from the standard content, we want lots more content to play!
  • Options
    harryhausenharryhausen Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    If they put Foundry for CO on Kickstart, I'd pitch in.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    chibiskunkchibiskunk Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I've got $500. I was considering a LTS to STO and CO. But I only have $500. I'll forego the LTS if I can spend the $500 and get foundry and then pay the monthly subscription to CO.

In other words...

YES OH MY GOD YES PLEASE!
  • Options
    therealtedtherealted Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    People say "Kickstarter" a lot. I don't think it means what they think it means.

The key to getting the Foundry in CO is getting developers to work on it, and I just don't see Cryptic/PWE hiring or even contracting new devs on a project-by-project basis. Seems like too much overhead for the final result (though I'd be happy to be convinced otherwise).

A couple of people mentioned a "donate button," and that would probably be a better way to signal enough demand to justify re-prioritizing developer time. However, I can see how that could also be a PR landmine - unless it worked on a "pledge" system, which could be a financial landmine instead...
  • Options
    ferrolhoferrolho Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Even though it would a great plus for this game, i believe unfortunately i just won't believe it will happen, given the most recent developments (or lack of them), specially because there was a time when someone from the Cryptic Dev. team said something like:

"...it is much harder for us now to introduce the foundry to the game because we would have to built it around the game, rather than STO for example who was made with the foundry in mind...it isn't impossible but it would require a massive undertaking of work on the game and a big enough team to pull that of."

Not meaning to be rude or discouraging, just repeating what someone said some time ago. I know i can't back it up but i remember i read it. I'll answer with a yes because i would also like to see it in the game.
  • Options
    asteroidusasteroidus Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Yes!

I've found the right thread for a first post, and my answer is emphatically YES!!!!

I'd throw a fair amount of coinage at this game (not that I haven't already) if a Foundry was implemented.
  • Options
    tacofoodsololtacofoodsolol Posts: 88 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    2013 is going to be the year of the Foundry!!!
  • Options
    riltmosriltmos Posts: 204 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I want a foundry so very badly! Make it so, CO!

EDIT: Aaaaand I just realized how old this thread was.
  • Options
    helbjornhelbjorn Posts: 678 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Some of the early Foundry material coming out for NWO on the closed beta is pretty impressive so far. It's a lot like PnP gaming again.
  • Options
    tigerofcachticetigerofcachtice Posts: 551 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Yes Please
    Banner%20Try%20Again.jpg
    More action at Champions Online Comics @ http://co-comics.webs.com
  • Options
    crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,595 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    This thing is coming close to 50 pages. So much support, which isn't surprising as this is the most demanded feature since the game came out.
  • Options
    ninten92ninten92 Posts: 71 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Yes. Yes! Definite yes.

Imagine the possibilities! You can make your own special city turfs for your heroes to prowl around in, or sleek, mazelike military bases, or even custom Nemesis-style missions that don't involve your magic-centered nemesis using science and deathrays. D: Heck, with STO's system, you could make your own NPCs and ship designs to interact and talk to, and it'd be really fantastic to see what the CO-mmunity could come up with if given the opportunity to have a Foundry.

Though, I'm none too supportive of the near-endless line of perk grinders or mob farmers with STO's foundry, but I'm hoping that our yet-to-be-made one won't have too much of that.
    Just another average RPer, costume part collector, and tabletop gamer.

Looking for a lore-based Superhero RPSG? Why not http://earth-guard.shivtr.com/
    ?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    bwdaresbwdares Posts: 1,517 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    It's not going to happen.
    #Mechanon!(completed) #New Zones! #Foundry!
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Such a lot of negativity, in this thread and others (a lot of others), when nothing has changed for the worse for some time. Who's been pissing in y'all's Cheerios lately?
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Possibly stirred up by imminent release of Neverwinter and big STO content announcements.

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
  • Options
    bioshrikebioshrike Posts: 5,491 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    So let's say they added the Foundry, but to prevent what happened with the Architect in CoX, they made the rewards almost non-existent. Would this still satiate all your wants for "new content"? There'd be no rewards, no gear, and the likelihood of anyone interested in such things would only come from your and your close friends, who want to play one of these custom adventures.

I'm not sure if this is the panacea everyone thinks it is. It certainly wouldn't provide a meaningful way to level up a character, and it wouldn't meet most people's demands for end game content.

I'm not against the addition of the Foundry, but I'm concerned that the rewards associated with them will either be too high, (leading to player-made farms), or too low, (leading to it being a ghost town). In the former, the farm-missions would overtake genuinely good content, and in the latter, it won't matter because almost nobody would be playing them.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    bioshrike wrote: »
    So let's say they added the Foundry, but to prevent what happened with the Architect in CoX, they made the rewards almost non-existent. Would this still satiate all your wants for "new content"? There'd be no rewards, no gear, and the likelihood of anyone interested in such things would only come from your and your close friends, who want to play one of these custom adventures.

I'm not sure if this is the panacea everyone thinks it is. It certainly wouldn't provide a meaningful way to level up a character, and it wouldn't meet most people's demands for end game content.

I'm not against the addition of the Foundry, but I'm concerned that the rewards associated with them will either be too high, (leading to player-made farms), or too low, (leading to it being a ghost town). In the former, the farm-missions would overtake genuinely good content, and in the latter, it won't matter because almost nobody would be playing them.

Farm missions as in XP farming? We already have those in the form of Smash Alerts and they aren't a major problem (unless you're one of them super serious elitist types that can't deal with lowbies all up in your alerts). This sort of thing isn't a major deal in STO so I don't see how they'd magically become one here.
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________
  • Options
    thatcursedwolfthatcursedwolf Posts: 484 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    As long as it had somewhat comparable XP to missions I wouldn't care about a lack of loot drops. I'd kill for a new Talos Vice or Learning the Ropes.

For the record I usually run the 11k Q secondaries and nemesis primaries (switching to SCR primaries at 40) and just vendor anything that doesn't look like it wouldn't be worth my time to drop on the exchange for some arbitrary amount since there's no history function.
    This is my Risian Corvette. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
  • Options
    bioshrikebioshrike Posts: 5,491 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Farm missions as in XP farming? We already have those in the form of Smash Alerts and they aren't a major problem (unless you're one of them super serious elitist types that can't deal with lowbies all up in your alerts). This sort of thing isn't a major deal in STO so I don't see how they'd magically become one here.

Put in a bunch of high-xp enemies with no ranged attacks, or get an xp reward attached to completing the mission that doesn't require killing all enemies, and said enemies are placed in such a way that you can just walk/run/fly/tp passed them to click the glowie that ends the misison and rewards the XP. Believe me, if there's one thing you can count in from gamers, it's that they'll find a way to get the most out while putting the least in.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • Options
    ashensnowashensnow Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    jonsills wrote: »
    Such a lot of negativity, in this thread and others (a lot of others), when nothing has changed for the worse for some time. Who's been pissing in y'all's Cheerios lately?

Keep in mind that the game has less playable content now than it did, "some time," ago.

If time passes without growth, a sense of stagnation is not unlikely. The ratio of content delivered per dollar spent also goes down over time in such situations.

New content is not my primary concern (it does make my top 10 though), but I can see how it would be for others.

'Caine, miss you bud. Fly high.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    bioshrike wrote: »
    Put in a bunch of high-xp enemies with no ranged attacks, or get an xp reward attached to completing the mission that doesn't require killing all enemies, and said enemies are placed in such a way that you can just walk/run/fly/tp passed them to click the glowie that ends the misison and rewards the XP. Believe me, if there's one thing you can count in from gamers, it's that they'll find a way to get the most out while putting the least in.

There's a video link floating around these forums with a Cryptic head honcho talking about user generated content. Everything from implementation to handling rewards to whether or not to monetize the feature. It also covers the very idea you're addressing right now.

EDIT: Here's what I'm talking about
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    In STO they handle that, in part, by basing rewards on average time of completion.

That's a pretty decent way to ballpark rewards that are meaningful compared to other activities (assuming they have good metrics on missions and alerts), and frees up Foundry authors from creating whatever the heck they feel like.

The bigger problem, frankly, is how to rate missions.

On STO, it's simple: play mission, give it 1-5 stars and a review if you feel like it. Pretty much the same system as apps and Amazon and so on.

The problem is the reviews and scaling can be utterly stupid. Like:
    'Negotiating Peace is a mission with little combat, but lots of discussion and text.'
    "1 star: wherz fkn combat lol stupid azs."

'Primarily ship combat. The battlefield group at the end IS OPTIONAL.'
    "1 star: couldn't beat battleships, couldn't finish mission!
    1 star: way too easy I slept through battleships.
    1 star: where's the ground combat?"

'Bridge officers sometimes bug out on third map. This is a Cryptic bug and out of my hands,'
    "1 star: my bridge officers keep vanishing! You suck!"

"1 star: you killed me in PvP, f you!"

And so on.

There have been massive vendetta strikes between different groups, forcing some people to have to republish missions (wiping review slate clean.)

Why is this a problem? Because of visibility -- if your mission isn't rated well, it won't be seen in various searches, and you get no plays.

Anyway, some potential issues. I, for one, think it's totally worth it, but there are a lot of problems that come with it. Think of chat ban-dits attacking foundry missions.