test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

CoH/V vs CO and Why I chose the way I did

Comments

• arimikamiarimikami Posts: 475 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Had a stalker in CoH. Did nothing for me. I just don't have that "feels so good to be so bad" desire. The way you feel about that is how I feel about being good. So, yeah. Still don't get it.

I like both. Sometimes it's awesome to be the good guy, save the day, and ride off into the sunset or what have you but, other times it's amazing to be evil.

Look at my forum avatar. Not only was he evil, he was without a doubt the worst dad of all time.

He drugged his daughter, blew up her homeworld, killed both his boss and his former mentor, threatened his son, and chopped off his hand.

He's such a bad dad that he should get an award for that.

Oh. He also tried to encase his son in carbonite. How's that for a time out? Beats the hell out of making them sit in the corner and think about what they did.
    edited December 2012
    nepht wrote: »
    Tell me about it the Baroness seemed to know all about my toons on the CoX channel today. I thought I kept a low profile on CoX..but no she sees all. She gave me THE FEAR @__@"

You were on Virtue? =O
  • kodachikunokodachikuno Posts: 1,863 Arc User1
    edited December 2012
    Did the OP really fault Cryptic for their game that was released in 2009 not running
    on his POS machine from 2000? Are you freakin' kidding me?
    The mininum system spec chip was released in 2007.
    I think he's more complaining about them not publishing updated spec requirements (not that I have any idea if they did or not or where one might find them...I just assumed if I could run CoX, I could run CO).
    Pretty much what this poster said, according to the download page of the official site, my system can run CO. I dig into the forums and there is quite a bit there that says, no way in hell will a system like that run CO. If that is true why the hell wasn't the official site updated with the official system requirements?!

Focusing on a tangential thought/rant outta a full page much? :D
    tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo1_400.gif
    edited December 2012
    Theme park games can't do villainy right by their very nature. Including CoX.
    In such games when you are playing as a villain you are always more or less glorified minion. The only time when I had any kind of really villainous experience in the video games was when I was playing sandbox games, most often when playing strategy games. Using any kind of underhanded strategies to meet my own ends.
    Villains aren't reactive.
    They don't follow others plans and agendas, they are making their own.
    And even when reacting for others, as they aren't bound by any rules of engagement, they're mostly making their own plots.

Playing someone like Dr Doom or Megatron would require a gameplay more akin to the strategy rather than mmo game.

I do not consider simply assaulting citizens, making a mere bank robbery, or occasional slaughter as being a real villain. It's a thug gameplay, not a villain gameplay.

Ive been thinking about how this could get implemented w/o radically altering the core parts of the existing game code. While something more sandboxy might be better, I think there is a way to do this in a less radical fashion. I also still dont get this locked in opinion that you were always a minion in CoV. Yes there was a bit of that it wasn't the sum total of villain mission arcs. I do agree tho, to do a villain justice they need to be able to launch missions/arcs which forces heroes to react. Heroes spend very little time going on the offense and trying to proactively remove Villains, where villains are locked in eternal power struggles with each other, governments/law enforcement, and their heroic counterparts. There is plenty of room for reaction among them.

now I was just brainstorming in general so Im not sure how much technical difficulty this would run into with CO but here goes.

Villainous plots pretty much fall into a small handfull of broad catagories:
    • Steal XXX
    • Destroy XXX
    • Kidnap YYY
    • Murder YYY
    • Thwart YYY
    • Set Trap for YYY
    • Gather Info
    • Assault/Distraction(aka Mayhem)
    There might be more, but MOST villain plots can be distilled from these. So what if a villain's "base" whatever the name in CO, had an item that allowed the villain to launch operations? This could be done via a series of dropdown menu choices. As a villain working up to build your own base you are stuck with smaller mission arcs and minion activity, once that base is built you will have some limited information, mostly well known/public targets for your mission launch options.(these also work regardless of if you are solo or in a party because if you set it up while in a party then the mission is meant for a party) Without much alteration this could also work for villainous super groups. 1 or 2 launch a Mayhem mission while at the same time 2 try to kidnap someone and another 3 set out to thwart the efforts of another super group.

(Ill be borrowing from other sources than CO since I know very little CO lore)
    So say Ive got my base up, and now I want more cash. I wander to my mission console, select STEAL, the new drop down menu offers me 3 options DATA, OBJECT, MONEY. We choose MONEY, this gives us a third menu with locations of publicly known banks we can choose to rob. Simple so far? Not much longer.

The last option once we've chosen our location is PvP or PVE. If we choose PvE we launch a simple solo/party PvE instanced mission and our opponents are NPC heroes/law enforcement. The reward will be semi-random and not a major haul(partially because we didnt GATHER INFO on the bank to find out when it would be loaded, partially because PvE is low risk).

Choose PvP and then we launch an instanced PvP mission where our opponents are other heroes. Thats where this gets a little sticky...Do we hit launch and wait around for some bored blue(s) to decide to thwart us? Do we have to set this up in chat with blue(s) before hand?(generally a good idea imo but requiring it seems wrong). My thought was Setup the PvP mission, hit launch, global chat gets a broadcast (XX Villain(s) are trying to YY!! lvZZ-ZZZ) XX would be the number of villains, YY would be the mission and ZZ-ZZZ would be +/- 2 levels(or whatever is appropriate) of the avg villain level. Theres then a 1 or 2 minute wait before the op launches so blue(s) can jump in(numbers of heroes cannot be higher than villain numbers) If noone joins up, wow lucky break, you have a largely opponentless heist!(some random mobs but no heroes). Payout would be MUCH higher since PvP is scads harder. (again semi-random here tho since we still didnt GATHER INFO on our target.)

so to un-muddle the example... My lv20 Villain wants to go STEAL MONEY from a Wells Fargo bank. Selects PvP cause he wants a bigger payout. Global Broadcast that (1 Villain is trying to ROB A BANK! Lv18-22) goes out. I think park it and wait up to 2 minutes for a Hero to choose to try and stop me(Which is where it pays to arrange in chat before hand). Once in I fight the Blue while trying to get to the bank, bust it open and grab the money. Assuming I win I just got a nice payday. If no blue showed I just got a nice FREE payday.

For prestige and bragging rights we could also have a second global broadcast naming the Hero and Villain PC and which one won. so like (BLARK the Villain ROBBED A BANK despite the best efforts of DERP the Hero).

Now if we wanted to have a little more fun, the THWART mission can be expanded so that when that first message goes out announcing that XX is trying to YY another Villain PC can launch a thwart mission against that op. SO once that the blue(s) and red(s) in that mission get a nasty surprise! :D While fun in a perfect world I see the potential for abuse with it so I dont suggest allowing that. (I launch a mission but my villain buddy is ready to launch a thwart and back me up in the PvP versus the hero kind of abuse.)

I could expand farther to give a cleaner image of how the various mission roots would expand and affect things but this is already a wall o text :/

TL:DR
    ideas for how to make villains work w/o requiring massive overhaul to existing game structure.
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,318 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I just found it interesting that of all those pictures posted to tell us how great it's supposed to be to be eee-vill, every last one of those losers was either dead or (in one case) fleeing the authorities by the end. None of them ever won.

Tell me again what's so spectacular about that?
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • decorumfriendsdecorumfriends Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    That's always another problem with creating super-villain based stuff. There's no precedent for them winning. Even when they have their own comics (Super-Villain Team-Up, the Joker, et al) they still end up on the short end of the stick.
    'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
  • immolatasiaimmolatasia Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    There's a certain romanticism and charm to playing characters with dark histories, tragic pasts, or skewed views on morality. I prefer to play heroes, but villains can be very enjoyable. Playing a Lex Luthor sort, a person whose views on uplifting humanity are diluted by his need to destroy the 'threat' of Superman. Or even good men who fell like Two-Face.

"The road to hell is paved with good intentions," is very true and makes for some of the most compelling literary characters and I could relate to and understand some of the fun in playing a villain for that reason. This is why *I* personally enjoyed playing villains and love seeing people play them.

The world's Doctor Dooms, Moriartys, Jokers, Lex Luthors, or just plain destructive bullies like Juggernaut are just as valid as any desire to stand up as a truth and justice hero.

In summary, I think people like villains for the same reason we find catharsis or fascination in tragedy. Or that's just one aspect of why people might like villains.

Then again, I redeemed my one villain I played. And the other was an anti-hero. :P
  • haleakalahaleakala Posts: 449 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I understand the appeal of playing evil to some people, but it's not me. Even when I was beta testing Sith in TOR, I went light side. Honestly, with the state of development in CO, I'd expect there would need to be a nearly ubiquitous desire to get any kind of content vetted by management, be it evil or good. Ubiquitous, as in nearly universal amongst the player-base. While it doesn't hurt to ask, good luck generating that kind of agreement on most anything.

I been a long time leaving but I'm going to be a long time gone.

Willie Nelson

T.U.F.K.A.S. (the user formerly known as Scarlyng)
    Wrong on the CO forums since November, 2008
  • vitalityprimevitalityprime Posts: 478 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Everyone's got their opinions. For me, coming from World of ********, CoH looked ugly as sin. I'm not talking polygon count, but rather style. I thought CoH should have tried to look like a comic book, but it had generic styling. I played a few months and got bored.

When I first laid eyes on Champs, I fell in love with the stylized graphics. Realistic and generic graphics don't do it for me anymore. Granted, Champs doesn't exactly have a comic book style, but it's more to my liking. Though I wish they would do more texture work instead of lighting work on costumes, but I digress.

For me...it was the exact opposite.

While I love CO's animations, mechanics, and combat...I loved the look and feel of CoH.

It was the single reason why I played that game over CO.
    _________
    VARIANT

"Nearly all men can withstand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."

-Abraham Lincoln-
  • itsbrou#5396 itsbrou Posts: 1,778 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I'd certainly back a type of reputation dynamic for each organization.

Something where you can still be considered a hero while doing missions for Viper in secret, but if someone in UNTIL sees you, they can phone up the rest of the organization and you become a target for them.

Villainy can be an additional layer to the game instead of choosing a faction and being segregated. It does not have to be red versus blue. If the game de-emphasizes heroics, puts you in as just a bold or superpowered being with the option to help the good guys, and offers opportunities to make a choice that isn't the heroic kind in content moving forward, Cryptic can simply insert villainy into existing gameplay.
    Brou in Cryptic games.
    edited December 2012
    That's always another problem with creating super-villain based stuff. There's no precedent for them winning. Even when they have their own comics (Super-Villain Team-Up, the Joker, et al) they still end up on the short end of the stick.

There's plenty of precedent for Villains winning... its called Real Life :P

More seriously that isnt really a problem... when Villains dont win, they keep trying... if we won we wouldnt have any rivals or competition, thus no reason to keep goin ;) That the villains never maintain a 'win' isnt really an issue imo. And there ARE precedents for villains winning, it just usually ends up with someone time travelling back and giving the heroes a 'do over' ;)
    edited December 2012
    I'd certainly back a type of reputation dynamic for each organization.

Something where you can still be considered a hero while doing missions for Viper in secret, but if someone in UNTIL sees you, they can phone up the rest of the organization and you become a target for them.

Villainy can be an additional layer to the game instead of choosing a faction and being segregated. It does not have to be red versus blue. If the game de-emphasizes heroics, puts you in as just a bold or superpowered being with the option to help the good guys, and offers opportunities to make a choice that isn't the heroic kind in content moving forward, Cryptic can simply insert villainy into existing gameplay.

oh that would be awesome as all hell :D Alignment based play is the best, and gives more proper RP to cRPGs imo
  • biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    edited December 2012

Necessary?
    biffsig.jpg
  • pion01pion01 Posts: 758 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Being a villain isnt all about doing evil stuff its about giving the hero someone to fight.

And with that.....

comeatmebrou_zps81481440.jpg

Its a cat vs dog thing.

This is quite possibly the most brilliant post I've ever read....

Anyway, as to the romanticism of villainy, I think a big part of the appeal is that honestly, they're more relatable, as long as, as smackers said, they're written well.

It's hard to relate to a flawless super man, but a conflicted and beat down villain is much easier, provides the potential for tragic backstory, deeper motivations than "do right!" and includes the fantasy of finally just getting angry and saying "**** it, Ima do me!" and giving in to our basic desires. It's not necessarily about committing crimes, but rather just finally doing whatever you want to do regardless of the consequences.

Villains are the desire to punch your boss in the face maximized.
  • kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    jonsills wrote: »
    I just found it interesting that of all those pictures posted to tell us how great it's supposed to be to be eee-vill, every last one of those losers was either dead or (in one case) fleeing the authorities by the end. None of them ever won.

Not exactly. While most didn't score the ultimate victory, they did have plenty of other victories before the end. Also, if you read the novel Hannibal, you'd realize that he very much indeed did win. As Pion put it, it's the thrill of giving into the most basic desires after getting screwed too many times. It is very much the desire to punch your boss in the face.

Also, there's this trope too.
  • nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    jonsills wrote: »

Does myself ganking inferno ATs count as evil wining?
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • bioshrikebioshrike Posts: 5,491 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I'm not against villain-based content in principle, but I don't think CO could really stand to have its population divided. I also don't think CO has the dev resources necessary to pull off a villain side in a meaningful way.

A game built from the ground-up with the idea of players being the villains, could be amazing. The key would be to provide multiple avenues for carrying out your villainy. Some people want to be the roaring engine of destruction themselves, and do all the smashing and robbing first-hand. At the same time, a system would need to be put in place to allow the more scheming evildoers to recruit hordes of minions, and from them groom lieutenants, who will eventually carry out and enforce their will. Still other systems would have to be available if your villain is the type to summon, build, or grow their army.

I don't want to be a "punch-clock villain" who simply takes missions from contacts and turns them in for XP. What if my motivations are for power and control, instead of money and jewels? OTOH, what if I'm after some talisman or artifact of great power? And when I attain one of my goals, I should grow in power, (again, more than just seeing my XP bar get fuller).

It just isn't something that can be properly executed if tacked-on to CO...
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
    edited December 2012
    bioshrike wrote: »
    I'm not against villain-based content in principle, but I don't think CO could really stand to have its population divided. I also don't think CO has the dev resources necessary to pull off a villain side in a meaningful way.

A game built from the ground-up with the idea of players being the villains, could be amazing. The key would be to provide multiple avenues for carrying out your villainy. Some people want to be the roaring engine of destruction themselves, and do all the smashing and robbing first-hand. At the same time, a system would need to be put in place to allow the more scheming evildoers to recruit hordes of minions, and from them groom lieutenants, who will eventually carry out and enforce their will. Still other systems would have to be available if your villain is the type to summon, build, or grow their army.

I don't want to be a "punch-clock villain" who simply takes missions from contacts and turns them in for XP. What if my motivations are for power and control, instead of money and jewels? OTOH, what if I'm after some talisman or artifact of great power? And when I attain one of my goals, I should grow in power, (again, more than just seeing my XP bar get fuller).

It just isn't something that can be properly executed if tacked-on to CO...

Sure you can. You just have to shake a proud city to its foundations and sow doubt.
    Brou in Cryptic games.
  • bioshrikebioshrike Posts: 5,491 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Sure you can. You just have to shake a proud city to its foundations and sow doubt.

[Dr. Destroyer] Brou! Face me! [/Dr. Destroyer]

Is that a good start? :tongue:
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
    edited December 2012
    *Adam west surf contest.*

But seriously. Everything is cheery, and one thing is missing. True loss that makes heroes feel uncomfortable about their decisuon to be a hero. Something to sow doubt.
    Brou in Cryptic games.
    edited December 2012
    biffsmackwell wonders:

Necessary?

It wasn't meant to be insulting. You SAID you didn't get it.

My apologies if it came off so, though.
    'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
    edited December 2012
    Gotcha. No worries!
    biffsig.jpg
  • secksegaisecksegai Posts: 1,354 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I was a subbing member for around 2 years at CoH - I've pretty much left CO in a year. CoH had quality - both in content and service. CO has a more fluid combat system. If CO could have only matched the quality, it would be far more successful than it is today.
    edited December 2012
    I do know of one villain that won in the end.

han-solo_zpsd09db932.jpg

I know some people are going, "Wha...?" but, think about it.

When you get right down to it, Han was not a good guy.

He was a criminal and a murderer. He didn't join up with the rebellion because it was the right thing to do. He was in it for the money and when he got that money, he got the hell out. Sure, he came back at the end to help out but, he wasn't doing that because it was right either. He was bailing out a friend that would have been screwed if he hadn't. Yes, villains can have friends. There's nothing that says you have to be socially inept if you're evil.

So there you go.

Criminal. Killer. Mercenary.

Got paid. Got friends. Got the princess.

I'd call that a win.:biggrin:
    edited December 2012
    Apparently, however, he gave all that up upon meeting Leia - there's mention of his duties to the Rebellion keeping him from paying his debt to Jabba to the point of Jabba sending bounty hunters to distant worlds looking for him ("that bounty hunter on Ord Mantell changed my mind"). And even then, as soon as Jabba was off his back (thanks to the fact that his girlfriend was even more murderous than he was - Han never had himself chained to a victim so that he could use the chain to throttle the victim when he least expected it), Han was back to being the hero, leading a probable suicide mission to shut down the force-field generator on Endor.

(Incidentally, how did the second Death Star have enough resources available to power that superlaser, but not enough to generate its own force field?)
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

• pikabko1000pikabko1000 Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Champions online and DC Universe Online Both games I think had game play problems
    both Champions online and DC Universe dose not fit the bill. however one dose not have any clue what so ever. simply China knock off. Doing what can be done to copy City of Heroes.
    to a cheap knock off. Champions on line suffers graphic. it looks lame. How the game play was done was very poor. when I am running around do not know what the heck I am doing.
    I should not be on it. what to do how to do it. where to go who to see. how to get the mission done. getting stuck on training for a week. I never had this kind of problems on City of Heroes. less then an hour I was done. Champions online over a week and still stuck.
    then after leaving Champions online training. more after training to do. then I get stuck on every little thing. reading details. this is what I am need to do for this mission. where to do?
    who to see? where to go? what to do? how to do it? I did not have this much confusion on COH exept learning PVP City of Heroes suffered one thing. I could not learn PVP right.
    in time I might be able to learn. however that time ran out. hell of a lot faster then any one can think.
    COH well its was much better. who to talk to was easy. click on your contact then it shows you what zone and it will point to the location and a red mark pointing the way. simple
    I know where to go who to see. then when I the mission. it was crystal clear. some was a bit
    rough. that got me confused. however I did not let that worry me. I know it will be solved as I go. it was easy. the hard part was not getting killed along the way. however can be worked out. if not I can use a end or skip mission token. however that had a draw back once used have to wait 3 to 4 days for the next token to come out. Champions online
    get stuck on a mission you want to get rid of. cannot. stuck with it. the only way out is to remove the toon and start all over or leave Champions online. if done a new toon the same stupid mission will will come up. at least on City of Heroes I had a list of contacts.
    so if I get stuck on one. I can work on two other contacts to keep moving. and it worked.\
    one thing that COH did have was the AE building. when I run out of contacts thats the place to be. Not any more I am a player. Now I get to be a programmer creating new missions and publish it on the web. I design the enemy? what they look like? what kind of powers they got. what level they are. I can create Elete Bosses. the 9 yards. what maps to use. what objectives that I like to use. what dose enemy have to say. how dose the player respond to that. I wish I had the time to do more of this. however I am busy going to work and on my off time trying to catch up level up. however no MMORPG had this function only City of Heroes.
    again even out of the AE building I can still be a computer designer. well Build a Super Group Base. create and design a SG base. I do not hear about this on Champions online and DC Universe. well how big to I want my SG base to be. well cost is a factor. so start small and years work it up. what type of rooms do I need. power room for a Generter,
    three versions are noted. however I have to earn special SG Badges for that.
    like for example completing 200 COT ( Circle of Thourns) missions or doing X number of healing points to heal others in SG mode. the mark gets filled in. get the badge. then something gets unlocked. then get the salvage and build the item in question.
    a power Generator or Teleport pad. Controller so on.the list is long.
    any way I want my old game back.I am sick and tired of going from one mmo to one other. to another to anther to another. I am running out of Choices.
    what I like to note City of heroes had been the best I ever had. No way I can play the Super Villain or the Super Hero or the nutural side of things.
    then do all this game development at the AE buidling and my SG base
    Nothing cannot compair Nothing comes close. Only thing I can do iss get the word out to get a off line mod. able to burn/rip all my COH/COV Files on to a DVD-R/+R and make a disc to install from with all the files and all the updates and all the patches
    installing from my CD or DVDs do not work. The facts are updates and patches are no longer on line. then I want to play off line. Then I want to isntall Elete bosses to PVP zones
    so I can do those PVP kills. Elete Bosses are like PVP hard to kill. needs lots of skill and power. not easy then a mater of killing Giant monsters off line in solo mode.
    huge problem there. level 50 Solo dose not cut it. Level 550 and 553 level enhancements will do the job fine.
    I am willing to pay for that.
    Nothing is better then City of Heroes/villains and so on. its all down hill from this on,.
    I hate this. so So I have to try out some thing different. 180 degree the new direction
    Mechwarrior online. my special joystick is broken and cannot be replaced and fixed
    the special body twist is the key of mechwarrior

NCsoft is the bad guys in the world now. NCSOFT is nothing more then a South Korea black market. Killing American Rights to play city of heroes. I pay for the time. I got the right to play. its that simple. NC soft flat out who the hell this guy is saying things like that?
    then I go like who the hell your people are doing at NC Soft? who give you the right at NC soft to do this? Iam paying for time along with every one else with out asking questions.
    I pay the rent along with every one else. that give me the right to play City of Heroes.
    if I want to play off line its my right to do so. after all I paid for it. that is my game. my disc. I have to do something
    I had been trying to get in touch with NCsoft rude as bloody hell.
    then I have no contact information to Paragon Studios UI wanted to call them up
    then cryptic Studios do not answer there phone and NCSoft answering robot bumps people off the phone. have the robot go hello then hang up.
    email NC soft. NC soft close the email or partion and respond to lazy robot emails that say nothing butt excuses. a Generic message that all it dose is gets me ticked off
    COH theall time best game I had ever had being owned by the worst ediots
    edited December 2012
    *Adam west surf contest.*

But seriously. Everything is cheery, and one thing is missing. True loss that makes heroes feel uncomfortable about their decisuon to be a hero. Something to sow doubt.

Did he wear Bat Speedo's ?
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
  • canadascottcanadascott Posts: 1,257 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Did he wear Bat Speedo's ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlusgU-MUZ4
    /CanadaBanner4.jpg
  • clcmercyclcmercy Posts: 308 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Champions online and DC Universe Online Both games I think had game play problems
    both Champions online and DC Universe dose not fit the bill. however one dose not have any clue what so ever. simply China knock off. Doing what can be done to copy City of Heroes.
    to a cheap knock off. Champions on line suffers graphic. it looks lame. How the game play was done was very poor. when I am running around do not know what the heck I am doing.
    I should not be on it. what to do how to do it. where to go who to see. how to get the mission done. getting stuck on training for a week. I never had this kind of problems on City of Heroes. less then an hour I was done. Champions online over a week and still stuck.
    then after leaving Champions online training. more after training to do. then I get stuck on every little thing. reading details. this is what I am need to do for this mission. where to do?
    who to see? where to go? what to do? how to do it? I did not have this much confusion on COH exept learning PVP City of Heroes suffered one thing. I could not learn PVP right.
    in time I might be able to learn. however that time ran out. hell of a lot faster then any one can think.
    COH well its was much better. who to talk to was easy. click on your contact then it shows you what zone and it will point to the location and a red mark pointing the way. simple
    I know where to go who to see. then when I the mission. it was crystal clear. some was a bit
    rough. that got me confused. however I did not let that worry me. I know it will be solved as I go. it was easy. the hard part was not getting killed along the way. however can be worked out. if not I can use a end or skip mission token. however that had a draw back once used have to wait 3 to 4 days for the next token to come out. Champions online
    get stuck on a mission you want to get rid of. cannot. stuck with it. the only way out is to remove the toon and start all over or leave Champions online. if done a new toon the same stupid mission will will come up. at least on City of Heroes I had a list of contacts.
    so if I get stuck on one. I can work on two other contacts to keep moving. and it worked.\
    one thing that COH did have was the AE building. when I run out of contacts thats the place to be. Not any more I am a player. Now I get to be a programmer creating new missions and publish it on the web. I design the enemy? what they look like? what kind of powers they got. what level they are. I can create Elete Bosses. the 9 yards. what maps to use. what objectives that I like to use. what dose enemy have to say. how dose the player respond to that. I wish I had the time to do more of this. however I am busy going to work and on my off time trying to catch up level up. however no MMORPG had this function only City of Heroes.
    again even out of the AE building I can still be a computer designer. well Build a Super Group Base. create and design a SG base. I do not hear about this on Champions online and DC Universe. well how big to I want my SG base to be. well cost is a factor. so start small and years work it up. what type of rooms do I need. power room for a Generter,
    like for example completing 200 COT ( Circle of Thourns) missions or doing X number of healing points to heal others in SG mode. the mark gets filled in. get the badge. then something gets unlocked. then get the salvage and build the item in question.
    any way I want my old game back.I am sick and tired of going from one mmo to one other. to another to anther to another. I am running out of Choices.
    what I like to note City of heroes had been the best I ever had. No way I can play the Super Villain or the Super Hero or the nutural side of things.
    Nothing cannot compair Nothing comes close. Only thing I can do iss get the word out to get a off line mod. able to burn/rip all my COH/COV Files on to a DVD-R/+R and make a disc to install from with all the files and all the updates and all the patches
    installing from my CD or DVDs do not work. The facts are updates and patches are no longer on line. then I want to play off line. Then I want to isntall Elete bosses to PVP zones
    so I can do those PVP kills. Elete Bosses are like PVP hard to kill. needs lots of skill and power. not easy then a mater of killing Giant monsters off line in solo mode.
    huge problem there. level 50 Solo dose not cut it. Level 550 and 553 level enhancements will do the job fine.
    Nothing is better then City of Heroes/villains and so on. its all down hill from this on,.
    I hate this. so So I have to try out some thing different. 180 degree the new direction
    Mechwarrior online. my special joystick is broken and cannot be replaced and fixed

NCsoft is the bad guys in the world now. NCSOFT is nothing more then a South Korea black market. Killing American Rights to play city of heroes. I pay for the time. I got the right to play. its that simple. NC soft flat out who the hell this guy is saying things like that?
    then I go like who the hell your people are doing at NC Soft? who give you the right at NC soft to do this? Iam paying for time along with every one else with out asking questions.
    I pay the rent along with every one else. that give me the right to play City of Heroes.
    if I want to play off line its my right to do so. after all I paid for it. that is my game. my disc. I have to do something
    then cryptic Studios do not answer there phone and NCSoft answering robot bumps people off the phone. have the robot go hello then hang up.
    email NC soft. NC soft close the email or partion and respond to lazy robot emails that say nothing butt excuses. a Generic message that all it dose is gets me ticked off

...............wha? *glances around* ....anyone speak gibberish? ..............anyone? No? *sigh*

Please tell me this isn't a breeder.

Occam's Razor makes the cutting clean.
  • meedacthunistmeedacthunist Posts: 2,961 Arc User1
    edited December 2012
    Call Shev. She's the only other person known for understanding this language.
    edited December 2012
    Gone to the Americans? :biggrin:

Sorry, old CoX injoke.
    'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
    edited December 2012
    Mechwarrior online. my special joystick is broken (THAT one there thats my fave XD ) and cannot be replaced and fixed

Hmmmmm *strokes chin* a very interesting take on the social economic meta mechanics of the online gaming industry. But May I add this one small point.....

dafuqwutehyewmad_zpsd6b09b78.jpg

Also your an idiot. Calling Champions Online a cheep knock off of City of Heroes is just demented , do you even know that Cryptic made both games ?

You know what forget I asked that. I reckon you don't even know what the BEEP your talking about.

I just HAD to highlight my favorite parts of that trainwreck. Its like one of these magical find the words puzzles XD

*EDIT* GUYS GUYS! I have found the hidden message it all makes sense now Daleks are now in charge of NCsoft. BEHOLD \o/

I should not be on it stuck on training for a week, got me confused. My special joystick is broken. Robot bumps people off.

I should have taken the blue pill I dont like this reality :O
    edited December 2012
    **always snorts and giggles when people complain about gibberish while making a ton of grammatical and spelling errors** :tongue:
    'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
    edited December 2012
    **always snorts and giggles when people complain about gibberish while making a ton of grammatical and spelling errors** :tongue:

I noes its faking shoking stat of eclairs \o/
    edited December 2012

I'm worried. I almost understood that! :eek:
    'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
  • twg042370twg042370 Posts: 592 Arc User
    edited December 2012

You really typed the hell out of your keyboard there.
    And this my friends is why I choose Champions Online over City of Heroes.

Take Excel Saga, God Hand, Asura's Wrath and The Tick combined and still you will have only 10% of the crazy mental that CO has.

The thing is though the crazy mental comes from the players XD
    edited December 2012
    **always Snorts And Giggles When People Complain About Gibberish While Making A Ton Of Grammatical And Spelling Errors** :tongue:

i No Lotz Uv Peepole Tat Kant Speel!

I Laff Beecuz Thair Stewpud!
    edited December 2012

wow... umm Im not sure if I should be scared or not that Ive read enough things with worse english than this that I understood it....

Well in between the zomg bad english and spelling, there are some good points he brings up on specific elements CoH/V had that would be good to see elsewhere... I can also see and agree with(sorta) his desire to get an offline SP port of CoH/V since most of your quests can be done and are fun solo.

Still cant get CO to load so cannot comment on his complaints about CO's mechanics...

Pikabko, I do gotta say a couple things to you directly tho... 1)Lay off the mindless fanboy aspect.. WOW Loosing a video game isn't a RL armageddon. Its also no guarantee that noone will ever make a game similar, as good, or better. Especially when you look at the fact that there are TWO games in development right now by former CoH/V players, odds are pretty good the best bits of ALL 4 supers MMO's will get looked into.
    2)
    American Rights to play city of heroes. I pay for the time. I got the right to play. its that simple.
    Wow dude... really??! you new to gaming??? You have 0 'right' to anything, you are buying a product and service. Companies have the right to alter, or cancel that service. Read that ToS sometime.

p.s.
    Thanks for bringing the thread BACK ON TOPIC a bit and getting discussion going again :D
    edited December 2012
    Thought Id toss this out there... its from the SaveCOH facebook group. Offers a good opinion and advice for other CoH/V players regarding the GFX, hopefully Ill get to check this part out
    I am on my 3rd day of CO. With the right tweaking some of my grahics are better than CoH. I LOVE CoH, and will forever. I NEED my Hero/Villain alter egos. I will be in CO for some time it looks like. It is different, and 5 years of high end treasure is gone, but I can enjoy a supergame. My global is ***removed***. I have no idea how to communicate in game, so if you send me a msg and i do not respond it's my incompetence, not my rudeness.

and this is a more general suggestion for MMOs of all branches
    That is the main thing I do not like about most other MMOS, Their chat systems. They need to incorporate a COH type "global" system into them. It is a pain in the butt to try to find my buddy in SWTOR because we have to text each other what server and toon name we are playing before the game even starts unless there is a way that we do not know about.
    edited December 2012
    We only have the one server. Multiple instances are spawned as needed, because each instance can only hold 100 players; in order to see what instance someone is in, look for the number after their name in Chat.

There is no "global" in CO. There's a global chat in Cryptic, so if your friend logs into STO while you're playing CO, you'll see it, and the two of you can exchange private messages. Other than that, around here "Global" refers to the in-game currency - Globals, Nationals, and Locals. (Yes, we trade on our reputation in this game. Literally.)

edited December 2012
    I put that up more to add to the discussion but Ill pass that back to the original authors there thanks :)
  • daveleperdaveleper Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    To each there own, but I haven't been able to deal with CO's "comic book" graphics for more than about 20 minutes at a time. To even do that I have to think of CO as Super Heroes in the Futurama universe. There's a difference between "comic book" and "cartoony" and in my book CO falls on the side of "cartoony."

Yes, I know, I can tweak the graphics, and I can get my own characters to look reasonably the way I'd want them, but it does nothing to change the look of the NPCs, does it?

And before anyone goes saying that my opinion is slanted due to being used to playing COH, I had only been playing COH for just under 2 years when it was shutdown... AND I had tried COH first.

Another problem I have is that in COH I could play with the graphics settings cranked to near the top level. With CO I have to set them so low it isn't funny. If I don't, my graphics card keeps having to recover, over and over again. So, if I go into darkened areas I can't see anything. Yeah, that's how I want to play... NOT!

All that said, this is probably the last you'll hear from me in the forums.

In game? Meh... probably here and there, but not much.
  • hyperstrikecohhyperstrikecoh Posts: 472 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Jonsils is using slightly different terminology that most CoH'ers are used to.

Say your logon username in the game is "BobsYerUncle"

Now say you have a toon "HeyPresto".

With the proper chat options turned on, you'll see your full name is HeyPresto@BobsYerUncle.

From a CoH point of view, the @BobsYerUncle is your "Global Name".

Honestly, while I mildly dislike seeing A@B (spoiled by unique naming in CoH), the chat system back end is more functional here. If it's a tradeoff between seeing Hyperstrike or seeing Hyperstrike@Hyperstrike and being able to access via Jabber/XMPP? I'll settle for the latter without a gripe.
    edited December 2012
    I kinda agree... its an interesting functionality to be able to talk across several mmo
    edited December 2012
    arimikami wrote: »
    I do know of one villain that won in the end.

han-solo_zpsd09db932.jpg

I know some people are going, "Wha...?" but, think about it.

When you get right down to it, Han was not a good guy.

He was a criminal and a murderer. He didn't join up with the rebellion because it was the right thing to do. He was in it for the money and when he got that money, he got the hell out. Sure, he came back at the end to help out but, he wasn't doing that because it was right either. He was bailing out a friend that would have been screwed if he hadn't. Yes, villains can have friends. There's nothing that says you have to be socially inept if you're evil.

So there you go.

Criminal. Killer. Mercenary.

Got paid. Got friends. Got the princess.

I'd call that a win.:biggrin:

Being selfish doesn't make you either a villain or evil.

Han never "murdered" anyone, only killed in self defense or in defense of another (like when he freed Chewie and got kicked out of the Imperial academy).

Han shot first, Han shot second, it doesn't matter. Bounty Hunters put themselves outside the law (in the Star Wars universe), and if authorities find a dead body and find bounty hunter credentials on it, they normally don't bother looking for who did it. "They knew the risk when they took the job," and all that.

Han was a smuggler, yes, and thus a criminal, but never a villain. He smuggled spice to get by, out of necessity. Han never schemed for personal gain, and put others in harm's way in order to get what he needed. That's what villains and sociopaths do. Han was neither.

So criminal? Yes. Killer? As much as Leia and Luke were. Mercenary? Sure, but that doesn't make you evil in any way.

So, sorry, Han was no villain.
    biffsig.jpg
  • clcmercyclcmercy Posts: 308 Arc User
    edited December 2012

With the proper chat options turned on, you'll see your full name is HeyPresto@BobsYerUncle.

Honestly, while I mildly dislike seeing A@B (spoiled by unique naming in CoH), the chat system back end is more functional here. If it's a tradeoff between seeing Hyperstrike or seeing Hyperstrike@Hyperstrike and being able to access via Jabber/XMPP? I'll settle for the latter without a gripe.

Actually, I wish they'd change that. It bugs me to see that in chat, and I turn it off so that only the character names are shown. Thankfully, I do have a friends list that I can look at and go, "is that...it IS!!" ^_^

Occam's Razor makes the cutting clean.
    edited December 2012

Ah, I see. Yes, you can look for your friends by their login names (their "globals", I suppose you'd say); for instance, my roommate's login is "@zreokell&quot;, so if I want to see if he's on, I can just use the Social tool to look for him. As an added bonus, if he's on STO, I'll see that too. (Presumably, the same will apply when NWO comes online...)

• ashensnowashensnow Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Killer? As much as Leia and Luke were.

Less of a killer than Luke. The crew complement on a Deathstar must have been measured in the many thousands.

Luke, you villainous bastich. Most of those crewmen weren't evil. Probably didn't even have much of a choice. Innocent they were, innocent !

'Caine, miss you bud. Fly high.
    edited December 2012
    ashensnow wrote: »
    Less of a killer than Luke. The crew complement on a Deathstar must have been measured in the many thousands.

Luke, you villainous bastich. Most of those crewmen weren't evil. Probably didn't even have much of a choice. Innocent they were, innocent !

Well, only technically. Han was aiding and abetting Luke. If he hadn't made Vader's TIE Advanced go all spinny-spinny, Luke wouldn't have been able to sink that shot, so all those lives lost are on Han's conscience, too. :P
    biffsig.jpg