test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

New championBuilder

123457»

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Posts: 1,156,071 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    Sleestack has been working diligently on this. There's a lot of reattaching code to the new stuff and making sure it works. It sucks to have to do that this late in the game but we didn't want to release something y'all wouldn't like.
    edited June 2012
    I know I've been rather silent on this. I'm sorry for that. There's been some massive improvements to the program...hopefully we will be able to release this for testing soon. I have the house all to myself this week some I'm hoping I'll have a lot of spare time to update the xml files / wiki with the latest in game info.

Here's the latest screenshot to hold you over:

Attachment not found.
    edited June 2012
    We believe in you Roxstar, you an do eet! ;)
    edited June 2012
    Looks awesome, man! I can't wait to try this out and run it through it's paces. :cool:
    edited June 2012
    New championBuilder huzzah! \('-' )/
    edited June 2012
    Any update for the new builder... erm Planner?

Thanks to everyone involved in developing it! I bet that with the new freeform slots available to Silvers there will be a spke in interest for this.
    edited June 2012
    Alfgorn wrote:
    Thanks to everyone involved in developing it! I bet that with the new freeform slots available to Silvers there will be a spke in interest for this.

Even when I only played ATs, I played around with Champion Builder/Planner. Its a good way to get to know how the different powers mix and what makes a complete build.
    edited June 2012
    Hey guys. I do want to apologize for the lack of updates. Before I say anything else I need to get this out...

Basically, I just don't have the time to keep this updated anymore. I really haven't "played" Champions in 6 months and before that I spent more time updating the championBuilder than anything else. It's more work than fun now and with all the changes that's been made it's simply a nightmare to update. I will gladly keep hosting the new builder (once Sleetsack is done) but I will not be updating the xml files anymore. Honestly, I probably won't be logging on much at all anymore. Maybe occasionally to distribute mini-Roxes or make a costume or two but that's probably it. I mean that's basically what I've been doing for the last year.

That said. If one of you wants to take on updating the power info (xml) files, be my guest. I'll post the updates to my site when they're made. More will be known soon once Sleestack is completed with the new program. I really haven't coded much on it in a while but he's been sending me updates. There's only a few things left to be done. It looks really good guys.

Anyway, if you need me I'll probably be playing Minecraft.

-Rox

P.S. One of the reasons I don't have much time to update this is because my cousin and I are in the beginning stages of making our own RPG / RTS game. It's actually going to include a lot of my superhero creations...and don't worry, I don't think there'll be any legal implications with Roxstar because this'll be a free game "if" we ever release it. It's mostly for fun and will probably take several years to implement. If there is an issue then, well, I'll delete my characters here and call up Cryptic about what to do with the Earth Roxstar archetype. But I seriously doubt it'll be an issue at this point.

P.S.S. OH! And keep a lookout for new Purple Psychic Journals...if you haven't already!
    edited June 2012
    Sorry we're loosing you Rox :(
    GL on the new enterprise!

And thanks for at least hosting the program when it's done ;)
    Will the program be up to date with the PA/Spec changes? :confused:

'Caine
    edited June 2012
    o7 Godspeed good sir. It is regrettable to see you leaving the project (and I wish the best of luck to those picking up the torch, as well), but it's good to hear you're doing it for productive reasons.

As a fine worker of 'because my brain told me to/it sounded like a good idea at the time/it's fun' projects myself, I support the achievement of goals in this area and hope it ends up (at the least!) meeting your personal expectations for it.

...All of that reads weird. :( Blargh!
    edited June 2012
    Will the program be up to date with the PA/Spec changes? :confused:

'Caine

Depends on if someone wants to take the reigns and update the files. I just can't bring myself to do it anymore. I hate to say it but I just can't. Keeping all of these changes Champions has been going through is taxing and just not fun anymore.

edited June 2012
    Aw shoot. Another one bites the dust.

Can't say I blame you though; I've been amazed at the way you've kept at it the last six months or so, adapting to all the changes and still making progress. Let's hope sleestack manages to finish the thing; it'll be good for you to see it release, even if you've given up on it yourself. Not to mention there's a few of us patiently waiting for it :)

Anyway, best of luck with the new project, hope to play it some day! And hopefully I'll see you in CO one of these days so I can badger you for a mini-Rox ;)

Don't forget, in life as in CO: Block early, block often. Safe journeys, friend.
    edited June 2012
    Gee, thanks, Cryptic. You lost us another good one.

Sad to see you going Rox... very sad. But, I wish you the best on your new project.
    edited June 2012
    NOOOOOO.... :( Damn you PWE overlords :mad:
    Thank you for all your hard work with championPlanner and earth power set. Good luck with new project.
    edited June 2012
    Oh well, can't say I didn't see it coming...
    Nor do I blame the rock for it.
    Too bad to see you "go", but hey!
    Be sure to keep us up to date with that game of yours, you got me teased.
    Bad Roxy bad!
    edited June 2012
    Thats sad news .. (the thing about the Builder ):(

However .. best wishes for your new projects Rox :)
    edited June 2012
    TBH Rox I was surprised (and glad) that you considered carrying on after On Alert so not surprised but definitely sorry to see you go.
    :(
    edited June 2012
    Best of luck in greener pastures. Community's worse off without you.

Now I'll probly never get a Roxstar AF :(
    edited June 2012
    Hey everybody,

I too am saddened by Roxstar's leaving. While I've been the de-facto primary programmer on the new Planner for the past few months, I never would have gotten involved if it weren't for Rox starting this whole thing going in the first place. Roxstar's departure is a great loss for the CO community.

When I first offered to help, I was only supposed to update the XML files, and I wrote the code for the new Planner to access the files. When Rox announced a few months ago that the program was very slow, I emailed him with an offer to take a look at the code to see if I could help make it quicker in displaying powers and such. Well, that turned into me re-writing large sections of the program, because one change led to another led to another led to another...it just snowballed. I didn't intend to "take over" the programming, and I intended to hand it back to Rox for maintenance and future expansion, so I hope nobody sees me as a usurper or something :)

Just over a week ago I sent Rox what I thought was a good candidate for an Alpha test, which we could give to a few of you forumites to help with bug/number tests and such. I figured Rox would do a pass through the code to hook up the color schemes, check that my code hadn't broken anything in his code, look for bugs, etc. Yesterday I got the same email you guys got as a forum post. I guess it's all up to me now. Good thing I like to pretend I'm a superhero. :)

Like Rox, I've hardly been playing the game for the last few months, because most of my free time has been taken up with programming the Planner. About the only time I ever went in game was to check the Planner's power progressions against the game's, or something similar. I don't mind; I'm one of those geeks that actually enjoys the puzzle of writing a new program, and will write programs in my spare time just for fun. But, I don't have a huge amount of free time, so that's why it's been a while on the Planner. That and I basically wrote the core of the program twice, getting it to perform the way I want. It's still not 100% where I want it (about 94-98%), but getting that last bit is a matter of tweaking at this point, not rewriting.

I'm on vacation right now, so I'm not at my programming PC. I can try to get something ready for testing this weekend, but I sincerely doubt I'll have the time. I will try to get a test-ready version of the Planner in the next couple of weeks. PM me if you would like to help test. I'd like to have about 5-10 people.

Anyway, thanks for everyone's patience. I'll try to get this done as quickly as I can.

-Sleestack
    edited June 2012
    Bah, we coo', Sleestack. And your hard work and effort is much appreciated. o7
    edited June 2012
    Great news on the planner, sad news on Roxstar leaving. :(

I'm looking forward to check it out, but I'm so new in the CO department that I have still no clue on Cryptic math and damage progressions.... so I would not be a good candidate for testing unfortunately.

Keep up the good work,
    edited June 2012
    sleestack wrote:
    I don't mind; I'm one of those geeks that actually enjoys the puzzle of writing a new program, and will write programs in my spare time just for fun. But, I don't have a huge amount of free time, so that's why it's been a while on the Planner.

Good to hear that you will continue the work. You will be our all new Hero now :)
    edited June 2012
    May i suggest ALL threads for "build planners" go in the "Builds & Roles" section (when the forums reboots) so they're easier to find? ;)
  • elkstromelkstrom Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    :smile: Just curious, but is this still in development?

Assumption is the mother of all mistakes!!!
  • angelofcaineangelofcaine Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    elkstrom wrote: »
    Just curious, but is this still in development?
    "Developlement" no :frown:
    Updating to current spec's, i believe so :redface:

@sleetstack was supposed to be compiling what @Roxstar had done up to the point he stopped maintaining the program, we'll know if he's done when he posts i guess :tongue:

Until then, there's a link in my sig (" | | ", the LEFT one) that has links to all 3 KNOWN build planners :wink:

GL,
    'Caine
    __________________________________________________O.P.T.I.O.N.S.
    | ME | A "Guide" Book" | | I, have a "DREAM! | ( Member since Feb 2008 ) ... ?
    [SIGPIC]http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b132/AngelOfCaine/STILLS/Misc/CO-Sig_01e.png[/SIGPIC]
    Were there any specific reason for that personal attack other than that your opinion differs from mine?
  • ramthananaxramthananax Posts: 128 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    The annoying thing is that the character builder is something that Cryptic should make and maintain- they know the system better than anyone, and it's the sort of thing that would encourage silver players to go gold so they can have access to all of the powers.
  • beldinbeldin Posts: 1,708 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    they know the system better than anyone

People often think so .. but reality has often showed that players mostly know much more
    about the games than the devs do :wink:
    R607qMf.jpg
  • chalupaoffurychalupaoffury Posts: 2,553 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    lol we actually play it.

What? You know it's true.
    In game, I am @EvilTaco. Happily killing purple gang members since May 2008.
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine
    edited July 2012
    Quote:

Originally Posted by angelofCaine

"Until then, there's a link in my sig (" | | ", the LEFT one) that has links to all 3 KNOWN build planners

GL,
    'Caine"

Many tnx!

edited July 2012
    Quote:

Originally Posted by angelofCaine

"Until then, there's a link in my sig (" | | ", the LEFT one) that has links to all 3 KNOWN build planners

GL,
    'Caine"

Many tnx!
    Yeah, i'm quoting this because you forgot a "[]" in my quote :redface:
    Yeah that's the reason... :rolleyes:
    ...*bump*
    [SIGPIC]http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b132/AngelOfCaine/STILLS/Misc/CO-Sig_01e.png[/SIGPIC]
    Were there any specific reason for that personal attack other than that your opinion differs from mine?
    edited August 2012
    seems your signature has disappeared from the above post . . . ?!

• dirtydwarf68dirtydwarf68 Posts: 45 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Can't find the links to the build planners Angel :( I must be missing something simple...
  • dirtydwarf68dirtydwarf68 Posts: 45 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Thank you smackwell ;)
    edited August 2012
    Can't find the links to the build planners Angel :( I must be missing something simple...
    Sorry, i've only got so much space in my sig left :redface:
    I had to get creative in placing them :wink:
    edited September 2012
    Curious again . . . This is still being worked on, right?

P.S. not rushing anyone, just wanna know.

• beldinbeldin Posts: 1,708 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Curious again . . . This is still being worked on, right?

P.S. not rushing anyone, just wanna know.

I wouldn't hope on that. Rox has stopped, and i haven't seen any posts from Sleetstack
    since a long time.
    R607qMf.jpg
    edited September 2012
    beldin wrote: »
    I wouldn't hope on that. Rox has stopped, and i haven't seen any posts from Sleetstack
    since a long time.

'Un-bookmarking' this thread then :frown::frown::frown:

• bellesorcierebellesorciere Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Would be nice if it were updated, but it does seem to be abandoned.
  • chalupaoffurychalupaoffury Posts: 2,553 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Shame, the powerhouse website doesn't give numbers. I miss championbuilder.
    In game, I am @EvilTaco. Happily killing purple gang members since May 2008.
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine