test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

We have a responsibility to our brothers and sisters.

cybersoldier1981cybersoldier1981 Posts: 2,501 Arc User
edited September 2012 in Champions Online Discussion
First and foremost, we all know by now that the CoX community is probably livid right now. As for my experience with the game, I tinkered around a bit and I didn't find it to my liking. But I know poeple who play, and I know that there is a good gamer community there, and a good RP community to boot.

We've made our voice heard to Cryptic/PWE about the developers for CoX coming over. But what about the players? This is where the deciding factor will be. People coming in with, as much as it sounds callous- money. If the people come, and they got the moneys- there's a reason for Cryptic/PWE to bring in those Developers and their ideas.

Even more so, it's on us. The players.

Everyone should get to be a hero if they want. I firmly believe this.

Your friends who play CoX? Invite them over. Urge them to come and play. If you can get them here, help them out as much as you can. Hook 'em up with some spare mods, gear, costume pieces, and other goodies if you can. Show them the hospitality of Champions.

You know some roleplayers? Encourage- and welcome- their heroes over here. I know we can't do villain -content- but CO has more than its fair share of people who roleplay all of the villain spectrum.

We're going to get n00bs. It's gonna happen. I remember when I was a n00b, and there was some persons who were more than willing to help me, teach me how to effectively use my archetype, and show me the awesomeness of freeform. The RP community was quite helpful, and lore-junkies were always willing to share what they knew.

It doesn't matter how awesome Champions Online is. What matters are the Champions who are Online when these guys show up at the RenCen looking for a home.

Show off your awesome costumes. Your jets. Your ridiculous damage. It doesn't matter how good a game is, the people can make or break it.

It's crossover time, heroes.
Post edited by cybersoldier1981 on

Comments

• Options
    bioshrikebioshrike Posts: 5,491 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    This is *THE* time for the devs to take care of QoL things like the misuse of the report spam feature, the auto-silencing caused by multiple people ignoring somebody, and the nearly non-existent GMs...
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • Options
    itsbrou#5396 itsbrou Posts: 1,778 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Folks, for many of the people I spoke with on CoH, that's it for them. No more MMOs.

It put such a sour taste in their mouths that they don't want to be hurt again by this genre.
    Brou in Cryptic games.
  • Options
    ragnasalragnasal Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Have no fear. Many of us on Virtue have been in the 'Great Debate', ala what the next MMO should be for our community.

It's a fight between DCUO and CO, but the majority of us are leaning to CO in order to retain our Role Playing community.

Prepare your servers, for you have a new wave of migrants. (This time without any pesky Nobles)
  • Options
    battybattybatsbattybattybats Posts: 777 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Act as a player as heroic as the hero you play. Do right. Help the weak to become strong. Assist the ignorant with words of gentle wisdom. Show compassion and mercy. Help raise those below you up to your level and never sink down to the level of those below you.

Truth
    Justice
    Kindness
    Fairness

This is the Champions way.
    Let us teach it, embody it, enrich oursleves and each other with it.
    the Volterrific Dr Cerebellum?
  • Options
    ashensnowashensnow Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    /signed for the OP's suggestion.

The sentiment is admirable and the methods seem sound.

Although I find myself unable to follow the suggestion (I have recommended that my friends who play(ed) COH avoid CO), I admire the OP's idea, and encourage those who feel likewise to support it.

'Caine, miss you bud. Fly high.
  • Options
    championshewolfchampionshewolf Posts: 4,375 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I will state it now;

For any City of Heroes players that need help getting started, don't hesitate to ask me. I will help you, with globals, time, or just someone to team with.
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    trailturtletrailturtle Posts: 5,496 Perfect World Employee
    edited September 2012
    While I wouldn't be so arrogant as to claim that I have an ordained mission to help CoX expatriates, I know that it sucks to have something you care about be shut down. I'll be in-game occasionally over the weekend, and I'll try to extend a welcoming hand to any new players, both City and rookies to the genre. I want them to feel comfortable both here on the boards and in-game.
  • Options
    roundhousekittyroundhousekitty Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Well, condolences to the CoX'ers who lost their games (and the Paragon Studios people who lost their jobs. :C). I wasn't even aware until i saw this thread. Bummer.

Here's hoping CO will survive longer.
    edited September 2012
    It kind of goes to show just how sudden this really was seeing how they just released a new power set to the store on the 28th as well as still have a posting on the home page for jobs. It's sad to see it go in such a manor, but to be honest, I would hope that Cryptic could see about getting a few things from their old stomping grounds. The plant powers seemed fun and we could always use another healing class. Maybe the costume change animations. I doubt it would ever happen, but it would be nice to see the old game incorporated to live on in it's spiritual successor.
  • Options
    bioshrikebioshrike Posts: 5,491 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Who knows... NCSoft may be shutting down CoX to make way for their own (from the ground-up) superhero MMO. Still, it seems odd that they would go that route w/o announcing anything before closing their existing one.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • Options
    citizenstrangercitizenstranger Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    ragnasal wrote: »
    Have no fear. Many of us on Virtue have been in the 'Great Debate', ala what the next MMO should be for our community.

It's a fight between DCUO and CO, but the majority of us are leaning to CO in order to retain our Role Playing community.

Prepare your servers, for you have a new wave of migrants. (This time without any pesky Nobles)

DCUO is only good if you want an online console superhero game. If you want any semblance of that CoH feel, do Champions.
  • Options
    riouhotaruriouhotaru Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    As one of those now stranded CoX players, it makes me feel nice to know the CO community is being so welcoming of us. It's a little funny, but CoX (for me) had a community that was second-to-none among all the online games I'd ever participated in. And there were people who came from other games to CoX as refugees from far less pleasant communities.

And now we're the ones who are the refugees. Sort of a bizarre turnabout, if ironic too. Anyway, I'm quite glad to be joining you folks.
  • Options
    theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,066 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    If any CoX, fans who like force fields see CO's forcefield powerset (like I did) and the mechanics of how they work..they will be instantly drawn here..I have recently invited several of my friends to CO from CoX and they are loving it :biggrin:

I cant believe that after recently introducing water powerset and updates it shut down...but then everything did change rather drastically since I left back in 2009ish...
  • Options
    vorshothvorshoth Posts: 596 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Remember people, these refugees need to be taken care of. We need as many people as possible in the fight against evil! Also, keeping our game running.

I am tempted to make up a character called the "MMO Refugee Meet & Greeter", dressed loosely like a character from another MMO without directly being a clone... Hang around the back of Defender's computer station thing, and guide people who want a tour or guidance on what this game is like. It might help with the occasional clones of certain concepts (purple elves with giant ears who can turn completely invisible. Even if ported into a superhero universe... What.) from other games and getting them to acclimatise and rework their characters to fit this setting's lore a bit better so they don't get ban-hammered by the clone hunters.

Incidentally, is CoX free to play at all? Might not be a bad idea to send some emissaries from our lands to theirs to tell them where to go for superheroic action, especially in the newbie zones, where people might not yet know their game is closing.

After all, if there's any community in DCUO, you can bet that they're doing the same thing as us towards the CoXers!
    [SIGNATURE REDACTED]
  • Options
    nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    ragnasal wrote: »

Ya was talking to mah buddies in CoX also they be heading CO way to ^__^
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • Options
    arblaquearblaque Posts: 158 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I was on in CoX for the majority of it's life with the last year plus being the exception. I mainly played as NewAgeKnight and various others on the Justice server. I am sad to see Paragon shuttered but all good things must end unfortunately. I say welcome to you all and enjoy the fun.
    Formerly known as NewAgeKnight in the Forums of old.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    vorshoth wrote: »
    Remember people, these refugees need to be taken care of. We need as many people as possible in the fight against evil! !

Hold up thar V'shoth :O

A third of the population of CoX IS evil we gotta make them feel welcome to :D

*Nepht Shamelessly points to her sig and then points out she runs CO's biggest and best group of SUPER EVIL >:D *

Any City of Villains players are more than welcome to PM meh for an invite \o/
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
  • Options
    transiberiantransiberian Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    It is nice to see a thread like this from another CoX player. A lot of us are in total shock, because there was the talk of the next issue, a new costume set which was coming out next week I believe, and several powersets as well. So NC Soft's decision to shut down CoX so quickly is just strange to many of us.

I am going to be one of those noobs since I haven't played since beta. I enjoyed the game but really only had time for 1 game and CoX was the one I was enjoying at the time.

CoX did have a free to play version, but not sure if you can get on since they have already shut down all store options.
  • Options
    gammabreakergammabreaker Posts: 230 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    CoX wasn't my cup of tea, but I really feel bad for 'em. NCSoft cutting off a healthy limb just to make their books look better. It's underhanded.

To any CoX players coming over, welcome aboard. We're in a bit of a rocky patch right now, with some chunks of the game's content having been broken by our last couple patches. It'll get straightened out, though.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    CoX wasn't my cup of tea, but I really feel bad for 'em. NCSoft cutting off a healthy limb just to make their books look better. It's underhanded.

To any CoX players coming over, welcome aboard. We're in a bit of a rocky patch right now, with some chunks of the game's content having been broken by our last couple patches. It'll get straightened out, though.

This isn't the first double dealing NCsoft has done.
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • Options
    megaskullmonmegaskullmon Posts: 313 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    *Coughs coughs* Tabula Rasa
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    *Coughs coughs* Tabula Rasa

That wasn't the first double dealing either. :mad:
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • Options
    commanderkassycommanderkassy Posts: 791 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    NC has ruthlessly culled no less than 7 games with almost no warning. This is what we call a pattern. I'm never playing another of their games again. Even aside from the fact i simply don't want to give them my money, what's to keep them from shutting down another good game that I enjoy without any real attempt to save it? I see other MMO companies save games that are doing a hell of a lot worse than CoH.
    [center][i]♪ I'm going around not in circles but in spirographs.
    It's pretty much this hard to keep just one timeline intact. ♪[/i][/center]
  • Options
    oyo32oyo32 Posts: 141 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Well, there is a petition going around to keep NCSoft from shutting CoH down.

http://www.change.org/petitions/ncsoft-keep-ncsoft-from-shutting-down-city-of-heroes#intro

It's at the 6,000+ mark (at the time of this post) and still going strong from the looks of it.
    AOyJ2f6.png
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Yeah my experence with ncsoft when they make out their mind nothign stops them
  • Options
    mrvyngaardmrvyngaard Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I'll add my voice to welcoming those City of Heroes vets who are coming to our game here.

You've been an asset and a blessing to Paragon City for so long - why not give Milennium City a shot at a better future?
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    I will also give my welcome. To them as well hope you all have fun with us if you wish to come here.
  • Options
    quasimojo1quasimojo1 Posts: 642 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    After checking out the City of Heroes page on Facebook, it's interesting how passionate and loyal their player community is. Even though Champions is, IMHO, the better and likely more successful game, I don't think our community is currently as evolved and supportive. I wonder what we can do to improve that.
    LTS since 2009. Author of ACT parser module for CO. Founder of Rampagers. Resident curmudgeon.

"Without data, you're just another person with an opinion." -- W. Edwards Deming
  • Options
    gonzolo4584gonzolo4584 Posts: 121 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    quasimojo1 wrote: »
    After checking out the City of Heroes page on Facebook, it's interesting how passionate and loyal their player community is. Even though Champions is, IMHO, the better and likely more successful game, I don't think our community is currently as evolved and supportive. I wonder what we can do to improve that.

IMO, time. That community has been in existence for a long time. Then there is the fact that the game encourages teaming a lot more than this one does, therefor you meet people a lot easier.
  • Options
    meurikmeurik Posts: 859 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    While it's always sad to see an MMO being shut down, especially one you've been a passionate fan of for many years, the truth of the matter is that NCSoft's loss, will end up being Cryptic's gain.

Until CoX is shut down, there are currently 3 major Comic Book/Superhero MMOs:
    - City of Heroes/Villains
    - Champions Online
    - DC Universe Online

Champions is more similar to CoX than it is to DCUO. I firmly believe that if there are any CoX players planning to migrate to one of the 2 remaining superhero MMOs, it's far more likely to be Champions Online. Which is a good thing for many reasons;

- More players = More revenue
    - More revenue = Better updates

PWE/Cryptic need to capitalize on the shutdown of City of Heroes, by doing their utmost to recruit "refugees" of CoX into CO. Once a player has decided on a game to call "home", it's very hard to change that players mind.
    HvGQ9pH.png
  • Options
    helbjornhelbjorn Posts: 678 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I doubt Korean capitalism has any more soul than American capitalism does. No amount of petitioning or pleading is going to change NCSoft's mind in this. Only the almighty won (Korean currency) will prevail.
  • Options
    quasimojo1quasimojo1 Posts: 642 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Yeah, the petition is certainly an exercise in futility. But it probably makes them feel a little better to make the effort.

On a more positive note, those of us who are interested and passionate about the future of Champions Online should try to do what we can to spread the word and welcome new players. There's a lot of stuff we would like the dev team to do, certainly, but that's pretty much out of our control.
    LTS since 2009. Author of ACT parser module for CO. Founder of Rampagers. Resident curmudgeon.

"Without data, you're just another person with an opinion." -- W. Edwards Deming
  • Options
    thecosmic1thecosmic1 Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    helbjorn wrote: »
    I doubt Korean capitalism has any more soul than American capitalism does. No amount of petitioning or pleading is going to change NCSoft's mind in this. Only the almighty won (Korean currency) will prevail.
    As it should. CoH's sales were only 2% of the company's Gross Sales - and we have no idea how that breaks down into Net Income. There's a certain point where the ROI - assuming there even was profits - just becomes too low for the amount of investment.

Why invest X millions of dollars to get a 1% ROI if the same dollars can be invested to get 5%? Why not change your investment to quintuple your return?

That's just the way businesses work; and how the Shareholders want them to work. I know the money I invest in stocks is done so to make me more money. I'm sure people put money into their 401k for the exact same reason.:)
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    sethpcsethpc Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    As one of those CoH players considering a migration to CO (not my first time to the dance though, as I was a CO beta tester and played for a little while post-launch), I think the big issue for us is in how this went down.

As far as everyone knew, things were good. A new update was in beta, big things were still being published for the store, and there was already talk of what was coming in the future. Heck, the studio had even been working on a new MMO for about a year! CoH would eventually go away like all MMOs do, but there was absolutely nothing to indicate that it would be happening anytime in the immediate future. Then *BOOM* -- production is to cease immediately, the studio is shuttered, and 80 ex-employees are told to vacate the premises.

Even the team for Tabula Rasa, a game that would have had to do substantially better out of the gate than it did in order to recoup all the development money that went into it, got to hang in there until the end. Yet our dvelopers and community reps all got unceremoniously kicked to the curb, leaving CoH essentially a rudderless ship until the plug is pulled on November 30th. Sure, this isn't an unheard of maneuver in business, let alone the gaming industry; doesn't make it sting any less.

In any event, it's great to see the CO community welcoming CoH refugees into the fold. I know that our two communities haven't always seen eye-to-eye, but at the ed of the day, I guess all any of us want to do is put on capes and save the world. :smile:

SethPC/Smashmouth/Goliath Bird Eater
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    megatenistmegatenist Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    As another one of the CoH "refuges", I appreciate the effort the CO community is extending to our fallen brethren, and thank you all for the support.

Now, I guess the process of starting from scratch in an unfamiliar environment begins. *bids farewell to his beloved staff/ice stalker :frown:*

Looks like I have some reading and wiki-hunting to do...
    "All the things I really like to do are either illegal, immoral, or fattening." - Alexander Woollcott
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    sethpc wrote: »
    As far as everyone knew, things were good. A new update was in beta, big things were still being published for the store, and there was already talk of what was coming in the future. Heck, the studio had even been working on a new MMO for about a year! CoH would eventually go away like all MMOs do, but there was absolutely nothing to indicate that it would be happening anytime in the immediate future. Then *BOOM* -- production is to cease immediately, the studio is shuttered, and 80 ex-employees are told to vacate the premises.
    I think a lot of us felt the same way over on STO a year or so ago when Atari still owned Cryptic. We kept being told everything was fine, that they were working on new content, etc, and then it leaked out that STO was going FTP. Then, later, we learned that Atari had cut the STO staff to 20 people and that they didn't even have styrofoam cups for coffee in the break room because they didn't have the budget for them - even though we were told everything was fine all that time. Thank goodness PW purchased Cryptic! :)

The truth is unless you're on the inside you never really know what's going on - and any business with Shareholders is not going to let-on as to what problems might be happening in a single division. They just try to cover it all up under the total corporate financials.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    megatenist wrote: »
    As another one of the CoH "refuges", I appreciate the effort the CO community is extending to our fallen brethren, and thank you all for the support.

Now, I guess the process of starting from scratch in an unfamiliar environment begins. *bids farewell to his beloved staff/ice stalker :frown:*

Looks like I have some reading and wiki-hunting to do...
    If you have any questions just pop them out! When we're not arguing about who's right about something we can be quite helpful. :smile:
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    A
    Even the team for Tabula Rasa, a game that would have had to do substantially better out of the gate than it did in order to recoup all the development money that went into it, got to hang in there until the end. Yet our dvelopers and community reps all got unceremoniously kicked to the curb, leaving CoH essentially a rudderless ship until the plug is pulled on November 30th. Sure, this isn't an unheard of maneuver in business, let alone the gaming industry; doesn't make it sting any less.:

SethPC/Smashmouth/Goliath Bird Eater

I loved Tabula it never got a chance to shine :/

I would call my self a CoV refugee came here last April after seeing the way NCSOFT was starting to act up , funneh thing was I hooked up with some old buddies from CoV from the start ^__^

I say CoV because once the villain faction came out it was all I would play :D
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    If you have any questions just pop them out! When we're not arguing about who's right about something we can be quite helpful. :smile:

Thank you.

At the moment, I'm just looking over the powersets and archetypes to see their pros and cons. I kinda like weapon-based sets, so The Unleashed or The Blade seem like a good start.

I'm also looking at Youtube and checking out some Let's Plays for some ideas,too.
    "All the things I really like to do are either illegal, immoral, or fattening." - Alexander Woollcott
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    thecosmic1 wrote: »

There is no argument I am always right except when I am wrong but then I will still say I am right till I am blue in the face :D

My Top Tip for new players : Drop $10 bucks in buy the Invincible thats a rather fun AT ^__^

Also I find CO is best played with an Xbox 360 wired pad .
  • Options
    ussnighthawkussnighthawk Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    nepht wrote: »
    Also I find CO is best played with an Xbox 360 wired pad .

That single item made this game 10x more fun to me, actually.

And I echo what my CoX brethren have said, thank you. The warm welcome feels really good after the past 24 hours.

No relation to "the" Nighthawk.

Refugee from Paragon City. :(

[SIGPIC]http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z297/MetalRacer78/FacesOfNighthawk-ForumSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    sethpcsethpc Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    nepht wrote: »
    I loved Tabula it never got a chance to shine :/

I would call my self a CoV refugee came here last April after seeing the way NCSOFT was starting to act up , funneh thing was I hooked up with some old buddies from CoV from the start ^__^

I say CoV because once the villain faction came out it was all I would play :D

My main character ever since they became available to play has been a Crab Spider, so I can also kinda claim "CoV refugee" status.

And that just reminded me that I'll really never be able to approximate that character in any way in another game. Does CO have quadruple, back-mounted, laser cannons, by any chance?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    molemaidenmolemaiden Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Thank you all for the warm welcome! Or, in my case, the warm welcome back. I played in the CO Beta and for six months after launch. I enjoyed the game, but decided CoX was more my cuppa (I played that one from launch...it was familiar and comfortable). I was "Festival" on the forums back then, but I couldn't get that name on my newly-made Perfect World account, so I went with the name of one of my favorite CO characters from back then: Mole Maiden.

I'm patching as I type this and looking forward to seeing what's changed. It'll have to be the free version at first: money's tight. But I'm looking forward to upgrading ASAP and seeing if my old characters are still there.

See you in Millennium City!
  • Options
    towershield#4714 towershield Posts: 1,208 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    My main character ever since they became available to play has been a Crab Spider, so I can also kinda claim "CoV refugee" status.

And that just reminded me that I'll really never be able to approximate that character in any way in another game. Does CO have quadruple, back-mounted, laser cannons, by any chance?

Unfortunately we don't have anything that comes close to the Crab Spider's backpack in looks or functionality.
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    How is the devastator? Is it like Titan Weapons? I'm gonna have find a substitute for staff fighting now, so I figured it was similar.....kinda.......sorta.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    megatenist wrote: »
    How is the devastator? Is it like Titan Weapons? I'm gonna have find a substitute for staff fighting now, so I figured it was similar.....kinda.......sorta.
    Not familiar with Titan Weapons, but the Devastator specializes in swinging great huge two-handed weapons (cartoonishly-massive swords, double-bladed axes, and like that). Is that what you're looking for?
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    jonsills wrote: »
    Not familiar with Titan Weapons, but the Devastator specializes in swinging great huge two-handed weapons (cartoonishly-massive swords, double-bladed axes, and like that). Is that what you're looking for?

That pretty much sums up what TW was in CoH. Huge damage with slow. powerful swings.

Just found a demo video for The Devastator on Youtube. And I am really starting to like what I see. Heh things are starting to look up :biggrin:

Are there other types of weapon "skins" besides big swords and axes? Like clubs or exotic weapons?

EDIT: Nice! I found out there's a scythe weapon for it.
  • Options
    molemaidenmolemaiden Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    There are better threads in which to ask this, I suspect (apologies in advance...), but since this discussion is hopping, I thought I'd ask here:

I'm going to have to play at the free level for at least a couple-three weeks (money's real tight...), so I'll need to convert one or more of my previous characters from Gold to Silver. The tooltip says "use your free re-spec/retain..." That is, singular. Can I only convert one character to Silver (at least without buying re-specs...and I'd rather just scrounge up money to subscribe!).

EDIT: Okay, I think I got the info I need in the FAQ. =P Rather than convert any of my "goldies," I think I'll roll up a Silver to get back into the swing of the game until I can buy a sub.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    molemaiden wrote: »
    There are better threads in which to ask this, I suspect (apologies in advance...), but since this discussion is hopping, I thought I'd ask here:

I'm going to have to play at the free level for at least a couple-three weeks (money's real tight...), so I'll need to convert one or more of my previous characters from Gold to Silver. The tooltip says "use your free re-spec/retain..." That is, singular. Can I only convert one character to Silver (at least without buying re-specs...and I'd rather just scrounge up money to subscribe!).
    You can convert each character once. If they're ATs that you own, and you keep the same AT, you can convert between Gold and Silver freely; otherwise, it's only free once. (For instance, Happifun was a Gold Freeform, because there wasn't a Power Armor AT back when I was Gold; after the Invincible came out, I converted Happifun from Gold FF to Silver Invincible. That was free, because I had never converted it before. When I go Gold again, I can turn Happifun into a Gold Invincible for free, but it would cost me to turn it back into a Freeform.)

You can, technically, convert all your characters into Silvers - the extras will occupy what you might think of as "virtual" character slots. Just keep in mind that you only have two "real" Silver slots, so if you convert more than two Golds to Silver and want to delete one sometime, you'd have to delete until you only have one Silver left. I accidentally lost two characters that way - fortunately, they weren't characters I was particularly attached to...
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
  • Options
    steelrat70steelrat70 Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Im also another CoH refugee looking for a home in Millenium City. I played CO during the beta and for a few months into launch and got a couple of characters in to the late 30s. Disillusioned with the then lack of content I cancelled my subs and gave it another shot around the time the Earth Brick powers were introduced.

There are lots of things that CO does better than CoH, but for some reason I was never really able to get in to it in the same way that I did CoH. I found the gameplay a little repetitive and dull and the difficulty of some of the mobs was either painfully easy and only slightly challenging when certain mobs used cheap, irritating tactics rather than being particularly tricky (I realise that's a subjective point of view, but it did somewhat sour my experience).

I really want to enjoy CO and I'm encouraged by some of the changes I've been reading about, so is there anything any of you feel has been done differently or changed for the better that might make my stay more enjoyable and therefore more permanent?