test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

FC.31.20161117.0318.2 - Frost Speed/Power Armor/Laser Sword Changes

kaiserin#0958 kaiserin Posts: 3,095 Cryptic Developer
edited November 2016 in PTS - The Archive
PTS Store
  • Added Mistletoe and Bells aura to the Winter store.
  • Added Steam, In Need of Repair, Ooze and Sparking aura to the Lockbox store.
  • Sparking, Ooze and Steam auras interact with movement.
  • Added Frost Speed to the Lockbox store.

Archetypes
The Invincible
  • Now chooses between Concussor Beam or Dual Barrage at level 1.

Power Changes
Note: We are still working on Power Armor and Laser Swords. However, this will likely be the final roster of new powers. LS may see a passive if we have time to make one.

New Power: Frost Speed
A chilling version of super speed. This unlock can be found in the PTS lockbox store.

Combos
Made some adjustments to combo powers.
Combo powers gain additional damage as you progress in the combo, and some combos had their base values set a little too high taking this into consideration. Laser Sword was brought down to these values last patch, and we're going to be bringing other combos down to match.

The following powers have had their base damage reduced slightly: Vipers Fangs, Scything Blade, Slash, Shred, Frenzy, Cleave.

Made some corrections to the cost of combo powers. Cost of combos should go down slightly as you progress. This affects the following powers: Vipers Fangs, Scything Blade, Shred, Frenzy, Cleave, Lash, Barbed Chain, Iron Chain, Laser Sword.

Power Armor
Power Armor abilities that are not toggles can no longer be used alongside Power Armor toggle abilities.
Most PA powers have had their toggle duration normalized to 5 seconds.

Concussor Beam
  • Damage lowered. This is being done to spread out the damage a bit more evenly throughout the PA set. Other powers may see small damage increases to compensate for the loss.
  • Cost recalculated for new effects.
  • Moved to T0.
  • Increased range to 100ft.

Eye Beams
  • Damage slightly increased.
  • Removed piercing effect.
  • Now a cylinder attack.
  • Cost recalculated for new effects.
  • 20/20 Fission: Now applies Burn Through if halfway maintained.

Micro Munitions
  • Damage slightly increased.
  • Fixed a bug where its initial cost was not accurate.

Hand Cannon
  • Should no longer cost energy while toggled on.
  • Now has its power values.

Minigun
  • Damage reduced slightly.
  • Cost reduced slightly.

Dual Barrage
  • Fixed a bug where Barrage's fx would emit from the foot if used with other PA powers.
  • Now has a chance to repel targets.

Chest Laser
  • Increased range to 100ft.
  • Fixed rank damage.

Tactical Missiles
  • Damage lowered slightly.
  • Now has a chance to knockdown targets.

Power Gauntlet
  • Damage increased slightly.

Energy Wave
  • New Advantage: Recharge. Applies Restoration to you.

Overdrive
  • Now scales off of End and Rec. Note: May be changed to Int instead of End, we are still evaluating this power.
  • Adjusted scaling. Initial amount is lower, but can scale higher.
  • Lowered duration to 9 seconds.

Laser Swords

Particle Smash
  • Now ruptures Plasma Burn for additional damage.
  • New Advantage: Light Everlasting. Rupturing Plasma Burn now also applies Light Everlasting to nearby allies.

Cybernetic Tether
  • New Advantage: Recharge. Applies Restoration to you.

Lightwave Slash
  • New Advantage: Sweep. Knocks targets down. Can only occur every 4 seconds.
  • New Advantage: Burn Bright. Refreshes a portion of Plasma Burn.

Laser Sword
  • Renamed to Lightspeed Strike
  • New Advantage: Legacy Code. Knocks down on last hit.
  • Fixed rank animations.

Luminescent Slash
  • Can now snare targets for a short duration.

New Power: Glance
  • Stuns target.

New Power: Particle Wave
  • Knocks targets towards you.
  • Advantage: Illuminate. Applies Illuminated to targets.
  • Advantage: Bad Footing. Disorients targets.
​​

Comments

• Options
    magpieuk2014magpieuk2014 Posts: 1,268 Arc User
    As I mentioned before, Overdrive is not a pure PA EU - if that set needs one, put a new one in. Changing the stats on Overdrive will muck up so many maintained builds without a replacement....
  • Options
    pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    edited November 2016
    Suggestion: rather than a damage increase, give power gauntlet 100% interrupt chance. Interrupts don't have a lot of purpose in CO, but in the situations where you want to use them (which is, currently, pulling dogs at Kigatilik), you need them to work every time.
  • Options
    roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    kaizerin said:

Lightwave Slash

• New Advantage: Sweep. Knocks targets down. Can only occur every 4 seconds.
    • New Advantage: Burn Bright. Refreshes a portion of Plasma Burn.

Laser Sword
    • Fixed rank animations.

Luminescent Slash
    • Can now snare targets for a short duration.

New Power: Glance
    • Stuns target.

​​
    This allows folks to easily make a Str-based Laser Knight using Enrage as a toggle. Jolly good show!

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • Options
    aiqaaiqa Posts: 2,620 Arc User
    edited November 2016
    I disagree with the nerf to combo attacks. It's completely unneeded and shows a weird sense of priorities, I have never seen anything that even hints slightly at combo attacks other than lasersword overperforming. Some people might like to actually use combo attacks for damage, and while that was already way lower dps than using high tier attacks it wasn't completely unviable.

• Options
    notyuunotyuu Posts: 1,121 Arc User
    edited November 2016
    Ok, so comments and feedback

1: Combo attack rebalance,a little heavy handed, half of the combo powers already felt weak while the other half felt about right, consider giving the powers utility advantages.. and don't even get me started on the advantage on beatdown not working.

2: Concussor beam, overall rather nice, however it does raise a light worry that the new 100ft range combined with the frenetic blast advantage might be too potent

3: Eyebeam, over all nice, but there is still that one issue where the tool tip and advanced discription fails to convey the "tick rate" [as is the case with the new PA toggles too]

4: Micro munitions, the damage decrease was the exact opposite of what I was hoping for [which was a attack rate increase to every 0.5] but overall the power is still usable

5: Hand cannon, Feels a little slow for the damage it delivers, consder increasing the damage or making it launch faster

6: Dual Barrage, all in all is rather nice, but the "chance to repel targets" should just be "repels targets" in the same vein as concussor beam

7: Chest laser, the power functionally is rather nice, visually on the other hand it looks less like a laser and more like a amped up soul beam... might want to consider making the laser look more like a.. you know..laser

8: Tactical Missiles, the changes are perfect.. simple as.

9: Power Gauntlet, well would you look at that... now it might actually see some use.

10: Overdrive, honestly having it scale with end/rec is nice.. if people want an int EU there's MSA..

11: Particle Smash, putting in rupture functionality is nice, however I'm going to point out that the "light everlasting" advantage from a thematic standpoint makes no seance... why would magic into tech swords?

12: Cybernetic tether, still think the CD is a tad too long for what it does.

13: Lightwave slash, the burn bright advntage.. all I have to say is this.. FINALLY... thanks.

14: Laser sword, the rename is...odd, the advantage lends it to enraged builds adding more versatility.. which is nice..however the fact that it costs 2 advantage points, REALLY works against it.

15: Luminescent slash, can now snare, nice but I think a root would be more suitable.. as would delaing bonus damage [or have bonus crit chance] against targets effected by plasma burn

16: Glance, another one of those stun + truma adv melee power, no complaints here

17: Particle wave, I love it.. although I did notice that it operates like a PBAoE and while this is neat.. it would be more useful as just a normal cone AoE.. so it tracks targets

18: Frost speed, concept is nice.. just one.. massive...complain, it uses that stupid "arms behind back running like a bloody naruto" animation instead of say.. the animation that's on mach speed [which looks about 600% less tupid]

19: Particle Accelerator, it still scales off con instead of end.....80% of the people that commented on this power in the last thread said "make it scale off end" and here I am saying it again.. if we wanted a dex form for laser sword we could grab Form of the tempest and have 0 issues.

20: Just restating that having a few laser sword skins, such as a katana, axe and longsword would be nice.
    Post edited by notyuu on
    In all things, a calm heart must prevail.

Member of Paragon Dawn: Because some people like friendly helpful communities.

eOGi6Cv.png9rfvawn.pngr3iD4nS.png

Yeah some things are broken... no I don't use/abuse them.. where would be the fun in that?
  • Options
    aiqa said:

I disagree with the nerf to combo attacks.

I'm of mixed feelings. On the one hand, I don't think combo attacks are overperforming. On the other hand, combo attacks are a vile abomination and anything that gets them used less is a positive.
  • Options
    stergasterga Posts: 2,353 Arc User
    kaizerin wrote: »
    New Power: Frost Speed
    A chilling version of super speed. This unlock can be found in the PTS lockbox store.

Don't we have enough super speed skins? Poor Athletics...
    Particle Smash
    • Now ruptures Plasma Burn for additional damage.
    • New Advantage: Light Everlasting. Rupturing Plasma Burn now also applies Light Everlasting to nearby allies.

Isn't that a HoT? I don't see how that fits in with laser swords or tech death discs.
    Laser Sword
    • Fixed rank animations.

Nerfed tier, nerfed combos, and genericized. Poor Laser Sword.​​
    YouTube - Steam - Twitter
    [at]riviania Member since Aug 2009
  • Options
    xrazamaxxrazamax Posts: 979 Arc User
    edited November 2016
    In terms of Rec, Int, and End as the 3 energy based SS, Rec is already utilized the most often because it is usually the best of the 3 choices. I think overdrive needs to be End and Int scaled because there needs to be a bone thrown to those who use End or Int as a SS. Everything should be scaling off Rec.

I love the Spark, in need of repair, and Steam Auras! Ooze aura though... is this working right? It seems... odd. :p
    EDIT: In gif form it doesn't look so bad because of the low frame rate, however in game it looks like you a spawning a ton of splotches on the ground instead of creating a trail.

Bug: Mini-gun base stats
    The numbers for Mini-gun are:
    Live
    64 Crushing Damage every .25 sec
    11 Energy Cost
    7.8 energy cost per tick

PTS
    64 Crushing Damage every .25 Sec
    12 Energy Cost
    8.5 Energy Cost per tick

The notes say the power had its cost and damage slightly reduced. According to the in game tool tips, the damage was not reduced and the cost was increased.

Testing was done with no gear, no SuperStats, 5 stars (didn't want to go kill myself 5 times sorry :p), no specializations, 0 off and 0 def.

• Options
    andondarkmoreandondarkmore Posts: 671 Arc User
    Base Damage of Combos are being reduced across the board. Does this mean the damage increase per hit will be increased?

• Options
    dakrushmordakrushmor Posts: 592 Arc User
    edited November 2016
    kaizerin said:

Overdrive

• Now scales off of End and Rec. Note: May be changed to Int instead of End, we are still evaluating this power.

• Adjusted scaling. Initial amount is lower, but can scale higher.
    • Lowered duration to 9 seconds.
    ​​
    For what purpose even mess with already existing and fine working stuff? Losing INT will screw up to hell deeps hellish lot of builds, including all of my DPS build, losing END will screw up many builds as well. Then probably wisest choice is to make two EU's out of Overdrive, one will work with END, another one - with INT.
    kaizerin said:

​​
    l hope this power is Maintained. Because if someone wants bloody charge up - there's already Energy Wave.
    notyuu said:

10: Overdrive, honestly having it scale with end/rec is nice.. if people want an int EU there's MSA..

Oh noes, forcing to wait 20 seconds until first power goes off CD is an epic meh. If MSA was activating on sending power to CD (not receiving from it), it might be better. Also it contradicts theme of my Main.

Also l'm not completely understanding, what magic themed lllumination buff deals here in technology. It would be more of logic, to add some other healing/boosting technology-themed effect, like nano-reinforcement, but not "Light Everlasting" or lllumination.
    Post edited by dakrushmor on
  • Options
    pwestolemynamepwestolemyname Posts: 978 Arc User
    kaizerin said:

Fixed a bug where Barrage's fx would emit from the foot if used with other PA powers.
    ​​

NUUUUUUUUUUUUUU don't change that! That is awesome! I want a FOOTPOWER!
    - - - - -
    SIGNATURE:
    Used to be coach on the forums. Still @coach in game.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User

Base Damage of Combos are being reduced across the board. Does this mean the damage increase per hit will be increased?

IIRC Kais said the cost will go down instead.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • Options
    Suggestion:
    So here is an idea for Laser Sword passive: Make it sorta like a Spa(aaaaaa)ce Paladin motif where the idea is to have decent Defense, moderate-low improvement to damage, but focuses on passively supporting the group. It is the old Paladin build of being a minor support while tanking - something not often seen in CO because people usually either go pure support OR pure tank.

Interestingly, these powers have been given some advs that heal. Maybe take adv of this?
  • Options
    i am a lifetime member since 2010 and since then i played a with power armor ... i witness a lot of changes in theese years...
    i agree that power armor should be nerfed for cosmics...
    but TURN Chest beam in a single power ... i cant use chest beam with any other powerer armor in PTS now ....
    concursor + charge your chest beam wile using shoulder launcher was the only way to make a spike damage in PvP duel... withouth this is impossible to win a duel... PA is the hardest set of the game, a player can cancel your powers just geting around your back.. and you cant use chest anymore?? this is too much...
    I am quiting and will not spend a nickel anymore in this game cause of this abusive nerf.... hope to see this fixed some day so i can play again...
  • Options
    aiqa said:

I disagree with the nerf to combo attacks. It's completely unneeded and shows a weird sense of priorities, I have never seen anything that even hints slightly at combo attacks other than lasersword overperforming. Some people might like to actually use combo attacks for damage, and while that was already way lower dps than using high tier attacks it wasn't completely unviable.

I disagree too with the debuff on combo attacks, I don't get the point of this while other powers are dealing much more damage and combos are useful for tanking. Just no.
  • Options
    Is there a technical reason why chest beam doesn't work as a toggle but Hand Cannon does? It seems like Hand Cannon works just like chest beam did... it just comes out of your hand now :\
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    I was managing more than gradii by quite a bit (around 4k with a simple rotation), but still quite a lot less than single blade (same character does 5.5k). Energy management is a bit of an issue, best theoretical dps is luminescent slash but it's too expensive to spam and there's nothing equivalent to Rush in the set.
    Oh, BUG: Particle accelerator self-stacks Turn it on, it goes up to 8 stacks all itself and stays there.
  • Options
    nbkxsnbkxs Posts: 768 Arc User
    Testing this stuff, overdrive is barely working for my chars now, even switching over from end to rec, it doesn't work well enough to run any of my maintains anymore, this is going to effectively ruin my best characters, and I wasn't able to come up with another way around it. Please fix this.​​
    [NbK]XStorm
  • Options
    we have too agree that overdrive and chest beam changes are insane.... just a waste of time
  • Options
    aesicaaesica Posts: 2,537 Arc User
    edited November 2016
    Unified Theory - It's unfortunate that it's using the apply/consume/refresh model rather than the proximity model for energy returns. This, combined with its abysmally low energy returns (I'm getting a lousy 12 energy on a character with 168 end...) will guaranteed that people will try to use other energy unlocks instead of this one.

Particle Accelerator - Why Dex? Serious question. You realize that laser sword users who want to focus on Dex can (and already do) take Form of the Tempest for the exact same effect, right? I highly suggest this be changed to Int instead. Also, there seems to be a bug which causes this power to continue stacking indefinitely after you initially apply Plasma Burn.

Luminescent Slash - I recall this power knocking down before. Now it only snares for 3 seconds. In light of this, what exactly is the point of this power? If we're really copying single weapon MA and making Plasma Cutter this set's Reaper's Embrace for heavy hits, this power really has no place at the moment. I suggest adding a fair amount of cross-power synergy to this to make it worthwhile. Advantages for clinging flames, negative ion apply + interaction, etc.

Cybernetic Tether vs Particle Wave - Aside from the advantages, what's the point of taking Cybernetic Tether over Particle Wave? PW is 50 yards, AoE cone, and instant use compared to CT's charge time, 25 yard range, and slightly higher energy cost. Strictly in terms of primary function (pulling targets to you) PW outperforms CT in every way.

Lightwave Slash - I'm not sure I get the point of this power in the new design, either. Applying only a single stack of something that's meant to stack up to 5, and only if no stacks are yet present, is a pretty underwhelming mechanic and, in its current state, I would not take this power. The advantage to refresh stacks could be nice, but if energy weapons is destined to become yet another build-stacks-and-rupture framework, there's little point in refreshing stacks. You're just going to blow them away, after all. I'd suggest removing the current application mechanic (it sucks) and instead, give it a 50-100% chance to apply a stack of plasma burn, based on charge. Currently I can apply 5 stacks via the Lightspeed Strike combo nearly as quickly as I can fully charge 5 Lightwave Slashes.

Laser Deflection - There is a bug where currently, I can't access this power's advantages even though I have it. It also has Rank 3 Energy Shield values right out of the box.

Overdrive - Why is this power's duration being reduced? It's currently higher because otherwise, it's far too easy for stacks to fall off. It's not even remotely overpowered in its current form. Also, there's no real reason to remove Int (or End, if it comes to it) as one of the stats it uses. It's a very different type of energy unlock that fills in the gaps for theme builds that can't properly utilize one of the better ones, but more specialized ones. If you want people to use the other energy unlocks, make them more cross-framework flexible. I'd love to use something else on my main, but right now, the restrictive way most of the other energy unlocks function really limits her options.

- - -

In closing, a few things in general:

1) I'm a bit disappointed that this is turning out to be a near carbon-copy of Single Weapon MA. There's a lot of potential to create a new, diverse framework rather than more of what we already have.

2) This particular framework is rather sparse compared to the others. It has its basic damage-dealing kit, but that's really all. I'll post a batch of "utility" powers it could be filled out with in the suggestions forum so not to go off topic here.

Edit: Here are some optional "filler" powers that could help flesh out the set
    Post edited by aesica on
    (Hopefully) Useful CO Resources: HeroCreator (character planner), Cosmic Timers/Alert Checklist, Blood Moon Map, Anniversary Cat Map, and more (eventually, anyway).
  • Options
    xrazamax wrote: »
    Is there a technical reason why chest beam doesn't work as a toggle but Hand Cannon does? It seems like Hand Cannon works just like chest beam did... it just comes out of your hand now :\

Toggles and charge powers are radically different under the hood and require completely different fx settings. It is not trivial to convert a charge power into a toggled ability like shoulder launcher.
    Chest laser was introduced to fill the gap of chest beam, and hand cannon was introduced to fill in the lost charge power gaps. We're holding off allowing a toggle charge in the chest slot as being able to use all 3 at once for a massive ranged burst is something we're going to be cautious about permitting.

Re: Overdrive
    Duration was reduced for balance reasons and to favor this EU being used with power armor.
    As stated, we are moving away from generic energy unlocks/forms and so on. This energy unlock can still be used with all maintains, but won't nearly be as effective as it would be to use a specific energy return.

If the new energy unlock is underperforming, that can be looked into.
    Particle Accelerator and Plasma Cutter are still in placeholder mode.
    Several advantages have yet to be added.

The laser Sword subset has always been closely tied to Single Blade as most of its attacks were clones. The 'new' powers that were introduced a couple years back actually did bring something new and different to the table, and it was not well received. It can be argued that the new powers weren't very fun to use, but the bigger reasons were there wasn't any incentive to bother with them as they required quite a few powers for very little gain over just spamming Laser Sword.

Another reason was it was very limited with its usage. Champions isn't a game where every player is locked into classes and power creation needs to reflect that. While I'm sure players are tired of bleeds, having them placed in a handful of powers allows players some flexibility when it comes to creating a build that works around them.

Sticking with Plasma Burn will allow players to toss in some out of set abilities, and allow us to splash those abilities in future powers. Overall the set is going to offer some different utility from single blade and interact with its dot mechanic a little differently.

Once again, these changes will be sitting on pts for a while and we're still making changes.​​
  • Options
    superalfgornsuperalfgorn Posts: 558 Arc User
    edited November 2016
    Kaizerin, you have doing a fantastic work in the past few months with more rebalancing, new powers and more stuff than in the past three years combined. Anyone who denies it either has no memory or is lying. ...however you seem to be a bit silent on the philosophy of the changes even though you do state sometimes the aim of the changes. A clearer introduction would quell some of the points of the discussion before they are raised fruitlessly!

edit... see you cleared up a lot of points... would you be able to do it earlier? :smile:
    aiqa said:

Indeed. Why nerf combo attacks? I still do not see the philosophy behind this. They are being changed to lighter attacks both in terms of damage and energy, but on Live even with all specs do not seem to be the "go to" powers for high dps.

Power Armor seems overall a nice rework, making it less confusing and more streamlined. Click and charge toggles are something that still confused me after... three years (?) as a lifetimer.

Additionally, as multiple ppl already stated, we already have Single Blades. Why not make Laser Swords more unique? There have plenty of suggestions... In particular to leave it as a high energy/high damage combo...

• Options
    aesicaaesica Posts: 2,537 Arc User
    kaizerin said:

Duration was reduced for balance reasons and to favor this EU being used with power armor.
    As stated, we are moving away from generic energy unlocks/forms and so on. This energy unlock can still be used with all maintains, but won't nearly be as effective as it would be to use a specific energy return.

I get where you're coming from, but in fairness, the specialized energy unlocks already outperform Overdrive on live. Right now, people only take Overdrive when nothing else will actually work with their build. I could literally double my energy gains on live by throwing away Overdrive in favor of say, Spirit Reverb. Unfortunately, that means I can't use Pulse Beam Rifle anymore, which is kind of central to my character's theme.
    kaizerin said:

The laser Sword subset has always been closely tied to Single Blade as most of its attacks were clones. The 'new' powers that were introduced a couple years back actually did bring something new and different to the table, and it was not well received. It can be argued that the new powers weren't very fun to use, but the bigger reasons were there wasn't any incentive to bother with them as they required quite a few powers for very little gain over just spamming Laser Sword.

Another reason was it was very limited with its usage. Champions isn't a game where every player is locked into classes and power creation needs to reflect that. While I'm sure players are tired of bleeds, having them placed in a handful of powers allows players some flexibility when it comes to creating a build that works around them.

Oh don't get me wrong, I really do like that bleed apply advantages show up on other random powers. Or things like random enchantments/curses showing up on the new PA stuff. That stuff is great for cross-framework theme builds. What isn't great is the same mechanic being all over the place rather than just confined to 2 sets, and in a way where they aren't compatible with one another--you can't consume the "Bleeding" effect with Particle Smash or the "Plasma Burn" effect with Reaper's Embrace.

It also means players who want a sleek single weapon theme can't escape the bleed/rupture playstyle whether their sword is glowing or made out of metal.
    kaizerin said:

Sticking with Plasma Burn will allow players to toss in some out of set abilities, and allow us to splash those abilities in future powers. Overall the set is going to offer some different utility from single blade and interact with its dot mechanic a little differently.

Not to drop a HUUUUGE recommendation here (but I'm going to drop a huge recommendation here) but making Plasma Cutter a short (somewhere between 5 and 10 sec) cooldown-based power that deals increased damage based on Plasma Burn stacks in a non-consuming way would be a similar, yet pleasantly different approach. It also adds a ton of value to the advantages that refresh all existing Plasma Burn stacks. Same goes for Particle Smash.
    (Hopefully) Useful CO Resources: HeroCreator (character planner), Cosmic Timers/Alert Checklist, Blood Moon Map, Anniversary Cat Map, and more (eventually, anyway).
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    aesica said:

I get where you're coming from, but in fairness, the specialized energy unlocks already outperform Overdrive on live. Right now, people only take Overdrive when nothing else will actually work with their build. I could literally double my energy gains on live by throwing away Overdrive in favor of say, Spirit Reverb. Unfortunately, that means I can't use Pulse Beam Rifle anymore, which is kind of central to my character's theme.

That's true, nothing works with Pulse Beam Rifle anymore, so you should leave OD as it is, until all of the powersets get their respective EU and self-sufficent attack layouts. Gadgeteering didn't receive revamp yet, its on-next-hit (which is central in that theme) still have CD balanced around pre-OV reduction values (when AD/AO were reduceable to 30 seconds). 20 seconds is too long, and it won't be able to trigger MSA properly, it WAY better works with Ball Lightning, than with gadget stuff, while @kaizerin talks...

Also l retconned mah wizard from Soul Beam back to Telekine. Assault (its visual is still #BUKT , but no selfroot), while leaving magic AoE, as there's no psychic AoE. So neither TK reverb nor Conjuring won't work. Also TK reverb or Killer Instinct're EGO based, and player may wish to go different stat layout (inflating INT instead) for other reasons, like cycling 2 Necru Elixirs w'out a gap. lMO have cookie-cutting isn't best route for the game, based on Customization.
  • Options
    This is a cosmetic issue, and long standing, but why on earth do laser swords make a 'Ching ching ching' noise when you hit people with them? They're not made of metal. Your typical expectation is that they produce a humming or crackling noise.
  • Options
    avianosavianos Posts: 6,028 Arc User
    edited November 2016
    Concussor Beam
    Damage lowered. This is being done to spread out the damage a bit more evenly throughout the PA set. Other powers may see small damage increases to compensate for the loss.
    Not Awesome
    Concussor Beam
    Increased range to 100ft.
    AWESOME
    Eye Beams
    Damage slightly increased.
    Removed piercing effect.
    Now a cylinder attack.
    Cost recalculated for new effects.
    20/20 Fission: Now applies Burn Through if halfway maintained.
    Awesome [x3]
    Minigun
    Damage reduced slightly.
    Not Awesome
    Micro Munitions
    Damage slightly increased.
    Fixed a bug where its initial cost was not accurate.
    FREAKING AWESOME
    Tactical Missiles
    Damage lowered slightly.
    Now has a chance to knockdown targets.

NOT AWESOME. oh wait why do I care? I will swap it with Dual Barrage anyway~
    Overdrive
    Now scales off of End and Rec. Note: May be changed to Int instead of End, we are still evaluating this power.
    Adjusted scaling. Initial amount is lower, but can scale higher.
    Lowered duration to 9 seconds.
    ? ? ? CONFUSION
    NO PLEASE KEEP THE END AND REC if people want INT use FREAKING MSA
    Also Overdrive feedsbacks in this threads are worrying me
    Energy Wave
    New Advantage: Recharge. Applies Restoration to you.
    Worth it!
    Laser Sword
    Renamed to Lightspeed Strike
    New Advantage: Legacy Code. Knocks down on last hit.
    Fixed rank animations.
    OH MY GOD! Enraged synergy GET! HAHA I won't even have to change much in my STR-Enraged laser sword build~​​
    Post edited by avianos on
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    avianos said:

NO PLEASE KEEP THE END AND REC

There's already every single tank with END, and more than half of EUs proc of END, while INT was severely nerfed with CD reduction. Some powers (gadget ones) weren't recalculated to that yet, so they don't properly trigger MSA. Also LS getting END EU, while PA theme is high technology still...

Ideal variant would be keeping higher of END/INT though.

Or higher END or REC, but not sum up them, but this way income from higher one should be old REC + doubled.
  • Options
    The change to Overdrive is stark raving mad. Will make people walk away from the game bad. We understand that you don't like people using one EU but understand that:

1) MSA doesn't work with characters with mostly maintained attacks or similar powers
    2) There still aren't enough power set Energy unlocks in the game, let alone removing generic ones
    3) Many of the set EUs that you have put in only work in specific ways which add a tedious level of faff to gameplay, or don't work very well at all
    4) Many people use cross-set power choices which don't work well with specific power tree EUs

Seriously, now. Give PA its own EU, base it on End/Rec. Leave Overdrive where it is, or there will be more complaints than you have ever seen (trust me on this one)....
  • Options
    pwcross2pwcross2 Posts: 35 Arc User
    kaizerin said:

I'm having trouble understanding how you can say the above, and then moments later, in the same post, say this:
    kaizerin said:

Champions isn't a game where every player is locked into classes and power creation needs to reflect that.

It seems to me that "moving away from generic energy unlocks/forms and so on" is directly contrary to your second statement.

Power creation needs to support the diversity of the game, rather than enslave it to the class system. I'm of the opinion that the game actually needs more generic options for things like energy unlocks, forms and passives, not less. The direction that the game is heading feels more like it is meant to restrict creativity in building a character the way the player wants, and enforce building a character the way the developers want, which in turn makes me, the player, feel like I'm being punished for being a subscriber. If I wanted to be locked into classes/archetypes I would be a free player.

It would make more sense, for me, to have attack, defense, support and utility powers specific to the frameworks... but the powers that tie them all together, the energy unlocks, forms and possibly even passives be less constricted and allowed to work with a wider range of builds, not fewer.

Obviously it's too late in the game to change these things, and it would be foolish to believe that you even would based on my opinions on the matter, but perhaps you can take it into consideration for the future :)

• Options

The stacking mechanic already made Overdrive heavily favor PA. You do know Overdrive stacks right? And that it's a billion times easier to stack with PA than notPA, right? I'm sure all the people who suddenly have an unplayable trash build with no free respec will appreciate how you decided to fix a PA exploit.
    The laser Sword subset has always been closely tied to Single Blade as most of its attacks were clones.

Oh? Which MA blades move was a high damage, high energy combo? It would have been nice if Laser Sword was made a high tier combo and mostly left alone. You could have simply removed the energy hog advantage. But you choose to straight up remove the one thing that made the sets different. Laser Swords is becoming a cheap Single Blades knock-off. Inferior in every way.

If you are still "working on the set", how about giving us the old Laser Sword back as a tier 3 combo without the adv? It basically had the energy cost of other t3 moves even without the adv tacking on an ****-load more cost.

People didn't use the old laser sword rotation because it was a colossal pain in the **** to use. Being different would have gone over better if wasn't such a janky pile to play. Laser Sword spam was much easier to do... After you figure out how to deal with the energy cost anyway. Many people didn't play laser swords before because of jankiness and high energy cost. At this rate, laser swords won't get played due to being the expensive, lower damage version of single blades.

Something you didn't seem to notice: People prefer easier ways to play their builds, not ones that require a bunch of support BS rotation juggling. Otherwise, everyone would have used the old laser sword power combo due to it's high dps.​​
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    xe1i_Sj.gif

EDIT: In gif form it doesn't look so bad because of the low frame rate, however in game it looks like you a spawning a ton of splotches on the ground instead of creating a trail.

Splatoon 2 looks Great
    notyuu wrote: »
    18: Frost speed, concept is nice.. just one.. massive...complain, it uses that stupid "arms behind back running like a bloody naruto" animation instead of say.. the animation that's on mach speed [which looks about 600% less tupid]

THIS

Keep this feedback, don't make the same mistake with Blazing speed
    Super Speed powers need to be available in Both Animations
    Not all people want to run like a Naruto anime boy

also can someone provide Screenshot of Frost Speed please?​​
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Re: Frost Speed animation
    We tried both animations, and it looks a lot better with the arms back run. With the other run the tracer effects move all over the place, where with the arms backs they remain in a straight line.

We can consider making two versions.

Re: Why are there sorcery advantages?
    Laser Sword has a light theme to it. While these effects are considered enchantments and whatnot, the idea of creating illuminating effects works with the set.

pwcross2 wrote: »
    It seems to me that "moving away from generic energy unlocks/forms and so on" is directly contrary to your second statement.

Some diversity is good, however creating generic powers like Overdrive and having them perform nearly/just as well as specific energy unlocks creates a situation where players will mostly use the generic one as it's the easiest thing to build around.

Overdrive can still be used outside of PA, it's just not going to be as potent. Keep in mind energy unlocks aren't the only form of energy return, forms provide quite a lot as well and should be considered.

Most sets have their own dedicated energy unlock now, and we're open to new ideas for ones to fill niches.​​
    Post edited by kaiserin#0958 on
  • Options
    kaizerin said:

Most sets have their own dedicated energy unlock now, and we're open to new ideas for ones to fill niches.​​

There's nothing in the Might tree, which is one of the more glaring exceptions (not that Overdrive is useful there), and Overdrive is one of very few EUs that work with Gauntlet Chainsaw.
  • Options
    revanantmoriturirevanantmorituri Posts: 391 Arc User
    pwcross2 wrote: »

Some diversity is good, however creating generic powers like Overdrive and having them perform nearly/just as well as specific energy unlocks creates a situation where players will mostly use the generic one as it's the easiest thing to build around.

Overdrive can still be used outside of PA, it's just not going to be as potent. Keep in mind energy unlocks aren't the only form of energy return, forms provide quite a lot as well and should be considered.

Most sets have their own dedicated energy unlock now, and we're open to new ideas for ones to fill niches.

All right, aside from Overdrive, what would you recommend for a Sonic build? It uses powers from Gadgeteering, Might, and Heavy Weapons. I am in agreement with the earlier posters: we would be better off with a larger selection of more generic Energy Unlocks than focusing on more SFX focused ones. The path you're taking frankly leads away from the spirit of the original Pen and Paper gaming system even further than we are today.​​
    -
    Formerly @Seschat pre PWEmerger. @Seschat on the Titan boards.

Supporter of the Titan Project.
  • Options
    zamuelpwezamuelpwe Posts: 668 Arc User
    kaizerin said:

An EU that works with combo enders would actually fill a much needed gap, both for the Brick framework and for combo powers as a whole.
    "Interesting builds are born from limitations not by letting players put everything into one build."

-Sterga
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Let's try again
    We tried both animations, and it looks a lot better with the arms back run. With the other run the tracer effects move all over the place, where with the arms backs they remain in a straight line.

Please do, a lot of us are getting turned of by the anime animation, and the list thing I want is to see my 250cm tall Gorilla ICE Shaman running like Naruto

Point case: Blazing and Light Speed
    The following powers have had their base damage reduced slightly: Vipers Fangs, Scything Blade, Slash, Shred, Frenzy, Cleave.

Made some corrections to the cost of combo powers. Cost of combos should go down slightly as you progress. This affects the following powers: Vipers Fangs, Scything Blade, Shred, Frenzy, Cleave, Lash, Barbed Chain, Iron Chain, Laser Sword.

1.Scything Blade is NOT a combo, it's Single Blade's charged Cone AoE power
    2.Why nerfing Frenzy when it was 100% AoE from the start and not being in the same tier with Shred?

I disagree, and Overdrive was barely a game breaker, for me the True OP EU is still MSA, which even with the new EUs people are still sticking with it, stunborn I tell you

But let's not forget that this game is still a "BE THE HERO YOU WANT" game and there are people out there with theme builds who have no EU in common (like my Sonic DPS robot)
    Most sets have their own dedicated energy unlock now, and we're open to new ideas for ones to fill niches.
    That's would be lovely , but my suggestions would go against the thread which is currently focusing on PA stuff
    Point Case: Sonic Damage
    There is no sonic powerframe ingame, and as you mention before, Sonic damage is the least used damage in the frameworks
    No Might or Gadgeteer EU to fit the build (MSA and Fire Reverbation are NOT welcomed in the build)

My Character Crescendo build got destroyed with the Global CD NERF, but then Power Chord and Hyper Voice (which power still use the place holder icon and has typo in description)
    The damage is Mediocre and with the future overdrive change he will suffer from energy issues as well
    There are no active plans for Sonic powerframe and Until then I will suffer with a Broken character
    All right, aside from Overdrive, what would you recommend for a Sonic build? It uses powers from Gadgeteering, Might, and Heavy Weapons. I am in agreement with the earlier posters: we would be better off with a larger selection of more generic Energy Unlocks than focusing on more SFX focused ones. The path you're taking frankly leads away from the spirit of the original Pen and Paper gaming system even further than we are today.

Why thank you for remembering my Crescendo Build comment

I'm sad to say, the only Energy Unlock which may provide possible synergy is Wind Reverbation which may get triggered by Hyper Voice's repel!
    BUT this EU kinda sucks and i need to replace all my REC mods with END
    Added Steam, In Need of Repair, Ooze and Sparking aura to the Lockbox store.

I really hope this is the Reconstruction Circuits aura onion-5.gif​​
  • Options
    So, currently the energy unlock requires you to spam lightspeed strike, as luminescent slash doesn't interact with plasma burn and you can only rupture stacks once. This makes it a hassle to work with; changing it to a proximity effect like thermal reverb would allow a lot more variation in the actions you take.

In terms of play style, I have to wonder if there are play styles that are practical to implement that aren't either build/rupture or debuff/spam. The classic laser sword setup did have a bit more complexity, but it was also largely unusable. I'm somewhat dubious about plasma burn in general, the usual pattern for laser sword type attacks is that they either just do straight up damage, or you hold them on target and after a moment they either burn through or make the target explode (light coming out of eyes and mouth, etc, type of stuff). Mechanically speaking that sounds like a maintain, though I'm not sure it's practical to animate.
  • Options
    edited November 2016

Please do, a lot of us are getting turned off by the anime animation, and the last thing I want is to see my 250cm tall Gorilla ICE Shaman runlisning like Naruto

Point case: Blazing and Light Speed

1.Scything Blade is NOT a combo, it's Single Blade's charged Cone AoE power
    2.Why nerfing Frenzy when it was 100% AoE from the start and not being in the same tier with Shred?
    Added Steam, In Need of Repair, Ooze and Sparking aura to the Lockbox store.

I really hope this is the Reconstruction Circuits aura onion-5.gif

I disagree, and Overdrive was barely a game breaker, for me the True OP EU is still MSA, which even with the new EUs people are still sticking with it, stunborn I tell you

But let's not forget that this game is still a "BE THE HERO YOU WANT" game and there are people out there with theme builds who have no EU in common (Sonic Damage build which contain Gadgeteer, Might and Heavy weapon)
    That's would be lovely , but my suggestions would go against the thread which is currently focusing on PA stuff
    Point Case: Sonic Damage
    There is no sonic powerframe ingame, and as you mention before, Sonic damage is the least used damage in the frameworks

My Character Crescendo build got destroyed with the Global CD NERF, but then Power Chord and Hyper Voice happened and ressurected him (which power still use the place holder icon and has typo in description)
    There are no active plans for Sonic powerframe and Until then I will suffer with a Broken character with mediocre damage and energy managment​​
    Post edited by avianos on
  • Options
    kaizerin said:

Toggles and charge powers are radically different under the hood and require completely different fx settings. It is not trivial to convert a charge power into a toggled ability like shoulder launcher.

Chest laser was introduced to fill the gap of chest beam, and hand cannon was introduced to fill in the lost charge power gaps. We're holding off allowing a toggle charge in the chest slot as being able to use all 3 at once for a massive ranged burst is something we're going to be cautious about permitting.

​​

It is impossiible to make a good THEMED power armor PvP duel char withouth charge your chest beam wile using a toogle in hand and a toogle in shoulder... after a long wait (4-5 years) i was happy with the game... i could help people in cosmics (PvE) or go to powerhouse change 2 powers and become a good PvPlayer (duel).... with all these nerfs PA will be one of the worst sets on PvP (any player can get around you and cancel all your toogles) and a average set in PvE... cosmics will be VERY hard withouth Power armors DPSing (dino and eidelon - plasma beam on orbs). Please KEEP chest beam as it is... you can use a toogle in hand , a toogle in shoulder and charge your chest beam. I am a huge power armor fan, i am sad to say that i will not play or spend money in this game if i cant use chest beam with 2 other powers... It will destroy my theme and my fun... PA is the hardest set to use in game.. with all these we will not see PA players in the game anymore....
  • Options
    Who gives a crap if energy unlocks are more generic? Picking one is the most boring part of making a build and should be the easiest to do. Trying to find an EU to even use in a damn build should not be hard or have much thought needed. There are other aspects to energy management.

Now, trying to figure out synergies to make cool builds between different sets is far more interesting. You know, the powers that you'll actually use instead of select and never see again.​​
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    gradii wrote: »
    Hey Kaiserin, if the intention is to put laser sword on par with single blade could we PLEASE make Plasma Cutter not root the player while charging? Reapers Embrace is fully mobile.

Unless CO gets a full time Animator, I doubt it
    Plasma Cutter use the exact same animation with HW Skewer which also roots​​
  • Options

They do, but there are very few with cross-set use potential, and most of them hang on finicky "apply this" mechanisms which don't synergise well with many builds and often even with default-spec attacks in their own set (looking at you, Magic).

There hasn't been much comment on this because people have either a) already got their energy management sorted by other means (OD, MSA), b) bought in to the new concept and maximised the EU capablities (the new Magic EU) or c) have the happy accident of being in those sets (fire, telekinesis, ice) where the EU generating potential is so large you don't have to think about it. And that, incidentally, is all that anyone ever wants from an EU....

Overdrive isn't just a PA power. It's the go-to EU when you don't have a build plan and just want something that works with maintains, from wherever. If the PA set's ability to generate stacks quickly is a balance issue then the lowest impact solution is:

1) Remove the ability of PA toggle powers to proc stacks of Overdrive
    2) Make a new power - Energized - which only works with PA toggles or specific PA powers
    3) Make Energized require either the maintenance of a higher number of stacks than OD, or lower the return of each stack, to suit

I get that might require some work on power categorisation which you might not want to do... but it's the fairest solution and it won't penalise people for being around an issue, rather than involved in it.

Forms, btw, aren't much use as an EU; during the first maintain of Gatling Gun, or similar, with Concentration, you'll get the bonus for adding eight stacks, and then never get anything else until they drop away and you add new ones (a process which which most people actively try and avoid during a fight, due to the accompanying drop in damage).
  • Options
    PS - I really wouldn't like to see this approach applied to, say, ADs and self-heals, and I suspect it's heading that way: "No more Conviction, we've added something which will heal you every second Tuesday if you've selected the right Advantage (10% chance to apply per tick of one particular power) rather than pressing a button"....
  • Options
    morigosamorigosa Posts: 710 Arc User

Forms, btw, aren't much use as an EU; during the first maintain of Gatling Gun, or similar, with Concentration, you'll get the bonus for adding eight stacks, and then never get anything else until they drop away and you add new ones (a process which which most people actively try and avoid during a fight, due to the accompanying drop in damage).

Unless there's some specific bug with Concentration and certain maintains, this isn't true; a form refresh will also generate energy. They're just not much use as energy unlocks due to the relatively small energy returns combined with the long internal cooldown on stack gains/refreshes; it's _possible_ to make a character that relies solely on their form for energy, but it typically requires very heavily statting into the form's stat (so as to gain a large chunk of energy on every refresh) and - especially for those forms that are less reliable in how they proc* - investing in End as well to give yourself enough max energy to smooth out the gains.

* Which is most of them. Consider, for example, Aspect of the Infernal; procs every time a poison is applied. Reliable? Well... no; it's only as reliable as the chance of applying a poison after the internal cooldown has fallen off. There's a reason my Infernal Supernatural character ditched Aspect of the Infernal in favor of the more-reliable Concentration.
This discussion has been closed.