test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Power recolouring for Silver accounts

xenonomadxenonomad Posts: 15 Arc User
edited July 2016 in Suggestions Box
In the months I've been on CO. I have witnessed the number of perks and services that are by-and-large denied Silver characters. or only available in a fairly limited function and at steep price. Now for the most part this doesn't upset me. People have bills to pay. I don't personally agree with CO's business model but that is theirs to decide. not mine.

However one of the most irritating and frankly counter-productive features that are denied silver players is recolouring powers.
firstly on a practical sense.. you can recolour every other aspect of your characters. and having power colours that clash horrifically with one's outfit is demotivating to players. secondly silver player already have to either pay steeply or grind events that offer AT's in order to gain access to more then a third of the power trees in game. so not only are silver players ristricted in what powers they can use. but on top of that doubly restricted in colour.

Also as a side note the locked colours of powers extends to travel powers. which causes more then a little frustration for people, as often, the travel powers dont even match the power colours and of course, seldom match the characters look.

and the fact is recolouring powers is a very tiny feature. its barely even mentioned as a gold account perk. especially put alongside costume slots. new character slots at 40. being able to retrain AT characters into freeforms universal. AT access.. (which I admit i haven't done the full math on but for silvers to get full AT access that is alone. a very steep bill in zen prices) and access to unique monthly subscriber rewards and several other assorted perks.

so weighed against all of that power recolouring isn't really a "motivator" to go gold. however it does frustrate and irritate silvers who are denied it. and thus making them less willing to spend money.

So I suggest that power recolouring is made universal. the studio really isn't losing anything by doing it and it will go a long way to foster goodwill for your playerbase. and it can be proven that a little goodwill can make players much more willing to spend
Post edited by xenonomad on
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    skydawolf#1467 skydawolf Posts: 1 New User
    Seconded
  • Options
    angeldeathskarangeldeathskar Posts: 1 New User
    I completely agree with you
  • Options
    themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    Aren't petitions against forum rules?

I seem to recall something like that. To be on the safe side I suggest you take the word "petition" from your title (it's editable).
    zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
  • Options
    avatara#2923 avatara Posts: 1 Arc User
    I agree with OP. This would make silver player much more likely to upgrade as they will feel much better about their characters
  • Options
    jofidufasjofidufas Posts: 1 Arc User
    YESSSS!!!! Please do...
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    hmm...... all the other posters are first time posters and it appears that the second and third posters just created their arc accounts within two minutes of each other and posted on here immediately after.

Wierd.
    zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
  • Options
    nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    A token to unlock color tinting for a silver AT is a more likely idea to get picked up.
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • Options
    dakrushmordakrushmor Posts: 592 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    I totally agree with that too, and I made a post about that a while ago. But the post was deleted, because it contained explaination of internal command, that can be used to recolor your items. It doesn't work on powers though. Also "normal" way to color items is extremely uncomfortable and can be used by Golds only, it ruins all their settings and requires "dancing with tambourine", that involves bank.
    Currently are three commands, that are locked behind paywall - these are /powerhue, /poweremit, /powerentcreatecostume. These commands are used to adjust power color, emanation point and appearance of entities, such as pets, that power creates. All these features together I call Power Customization. Currently Power Customization feature is locked behind paywall.
    Most point I completely disagree - is locking behind paywall last one feature - pet costumes. These were cases, when default costumes of pets got ruined, because of new costumes were added. These were fixed, but not completely, so Command Animals now summons Black-Black-Black wolves at R1-R2-R3, while formerly Black-Brown-Gray. Support Drones R3 summons another bot by default (gray one, instead of white one). There aren't ANY free issue AT, those use pets. You already pay for pets, when you buy your AT or FF slot. So, I think it would be safe to enable Pet customization for everyone, and it also means less work for devs fixing stuff, after adding new Pet costumes.
    About Coloring and Emanation points - these are pretty big features, so I believe they could adjusted several ways: to require purchase of certain Tinting token on Z (Q/drift/etc)-store, or make it to deplete certain G from character account for single tint. Locking coloring behind paywall on one hand may do few players to sub, but otoh it makes another part of players to quit a game, and/or not pay to it. l think CO currently has pretty low playerbase, so it isn't too wise to cripple them and turn away from game. Also it creates certain uncomfortability in terms, that some players may not retcon, because it will defaultize their color settings. And at top of all - Gold players have watch to Silver characters as well. I think watching beautiful, color-adjusted ones, that clumsy default palettes would enjoy them more. "Brand" effect of colors that divides community on plebs and elites is very bad effect too lMO.

In any way I think it's double-edged sword, to continue to lock or stop this part of Customization behind paywall. It all depends what Devs want to - develop community intensively, by having possible more income (maybe) from each separate player, but with less # of players (although LTS is pretty out of this formula). In this case locking behind paywall will remain. Or develop extensively - be more friendly to mere players, and increase their numbers, but with theoretical loss of income from single player (although that value is within statistical error lMO). In this case is wise to break this paywall.

As for me - l'm totally for it. Currently I have 3 excess Freeform slots, but I can't imagine character concepts, because all my fantasies must have certain colors attached to them. So I don't fill them, but if I was able to change colors, perhaps I'll be short on those slots.
    Post edited by dakrushmor on
  • Options
    stergasterga Posts: 2,353 Arc User
    Yes, power tinting should be available for silver players in some form. At the very least, FF slots and purchased travel powers should have power tinting available. Kinda blows to buy a travel power and not even be able to color it. FF slots aren't cheap either.

Some of the monitization in CO doesn't make sense. Wouldn't you want silver players to be able to buy a bunch of stuff piecemeal that subs get in a bundle? You know, to make more money? The whole point of going f2p in the first place.
    YouTube - Steam - Twitter
    [at]riviania Member since Aug 2009
  • Options
    avianosavianos Posts: 6,058 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    Good Luck with that, I used to be #1 supporter of this but with time passing by and nothing happening, I got dissapointed and decided to give up hopes

If they somehow manage to make Power Colouring for Silvers available, it will be a pleasant surprise but i'm not going to get my hopes up

I even removed my own Silver Colouring suggestion thread from my signature to stop reminding me​​
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
  • Options
    reiwulfreiwulf Posts: 442 Arc User
    just a question, of I'm silver and I go gold and change the color of my powers and then go silver again next month,do I keep my new colors? or do they change back to their original one?
    natesig.jpg

• Options
    spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    You get to participate in all content in the game for free.

Stop acting like you don't get enough privileges.
  • Options
    stergasterga Posts: 2,353 Arc User
    "You get to participate in all content in the game for free.

Stop acting like you don't get enough privileges."

OP didn't say anything one way or another about how color tinting should be added for silvers and made some criticisms about things being overpriced or too grindy. There are also fair points on how it's stupid that silvers can engage in all other manners of color customization but not with powers. None of those things have anything to do with privileges.
    YouTube - Steam - Twitter
    [at]riviania Member since Aug 2009
  • Options
    alt0angel0skalt0angel0sk Posts: 138 Arc User
    from what i heard devs havent planned to have silvers be able to change color on powers <.<
  • Options

from what i heard devs havent planned to have silvers be able to change color on powers

One player told me from their conversation with devs, that they generally admit possibility to allow FF slots to customize their powers, but that action potentially can produce unintended side effects (like giving away 500 Z Silvers each month and stuff like that), so they refrain from doing that by now. Although I think if alter handlers of commands "/powerhue", "/poweremit", "/powerentcreatecostume", rather than altering silver/gold permission list is very unlikely will lead to effect like that.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    _ oops remove duplicate msg please, forum got bugged
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    _ oops remove duplicate msg please, forum got bugged
  • Options

hmm...... all the other posters are first time posters and it appears that the second and third posters just created their arc accounts within two minutes of each other and posted on here immediately after.

Wierd.

Yes, that is very interesting. Shenanigans.
  • Options
    sterga said:

OP didn't say anything one way or another about how color tinting should be added for silvers

or did they?
    xenonomad said:

So I suggest that power recolouring is made universal.

Did you have fun?
  • Options
    spinnytop said:

We don't even have enough endgame content to hide it behind paywall. Previously, adventure packs weren't available for silvers though (or purchaseble for Zen). But at that time these packs were pretty useful in terms of reward.
  • Options
    ganomeganome Posts: 6 Arc User
    I think that they could release a "color all powers" aura in the Z store.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    ganome said:

I think that they could release a "color all powers" aura in the Z store.

That could fit some of my character concepts, others, however - wouldn't. And I also want to be able to choose Pet Skins, I already put my opinions about it here.
  • Options
    ealford1985ealford1985 Posts: 3,582 Arc User
    I'd only be down for a power changing token in z-store and it also should be included with the Freeform.

Other than that no. It's an incentive to sub reward.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User
    It looks like the problem with the idea is that way power hue is coded. They'd have to change the way it's handled on a fundamental level... which might break vet rewards.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • Options
    mrbison75mrbison75 Posts: 3 Arc User
    agree
  • Options
    spinnytop said:

Just because a player is silver doesn't mean they play for free. I am silver but Cryptic still get $15 a month from me but on my own terms. I'll sub proper when they ditch that gold to silver conversion bollocks on ATs.

A Color re-tinting token for a single toon should be an item in the store. That way Silvers get to change the colors of powers and it still remains a bonus for subbing.
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
  • Options
    glortorglortor Posts: 324 Arc User
    This game is not developed on player-friendly terms.
  • Options
    roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    reiwulf said:

just a question, of I'm silver and I go gold and change the color of my powers and then go silver again next month,do I keep my new colors? or do they change back to their original one?

Yes, the colors remain.
    When you hit the "Color All" button, colors of device powers/effects (and vehicle attacks and effects) change, too.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • Options
    ninten92ninten92 Posts: 71 Arc User
    I agree with Nepht, with something to add: With moderately-priced "Power Recolor" tokens on the Z-Store, there should be a more expensive (At least 800 Zen) unlock for it to be account-wide.

Pay once to unlock it as a silver, or subscribe to get it account-wide along with the older (And still very good) costume packs.
    ALSO! Silvers should be able to change the emanation points of their powers! (Hands/wrists/head/chest)
    Just another average RPer, costume part collector, and tabletop gamer.

Looking for a lore-based Superhero RPSG? Why not http://earth-guard.shivtr.com/
    ?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    I'm all for enabling color change for silvers in any way. at least for now what we silvers can do is sub for a month and change all power colors and then go back to silver. at least until they invent some other way...
    natesig.jpg

• Options
    riveroceanriverocean Posts: 1,690 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    Not allowing a way to for players to buy color tinting, is leaving money on the table IMHO. And silver players do purchase thing, I was gold for a few years, then opted for silver. I've purchased Hideouts, AT"s, Free Form Slots, and costumes.

The attitude that silver players don't contribute financially to the game is odd. The whole point of the Freemium business model is to offer micro-transactions. I.E offer up purchasable services and items piecemeal. So rather than sub a player can choose which parts of the game they want to pay for.

I think a "power hue" aura token would be an interesting move. It might stimulate the purchase of aura slots as well. Something like that exists in DCUO I believe. You buy a token that colors your powers in a designated hue.
    Questions About AT Play? Visit Silverwolfx11's Updated AT Guides!
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    nepht said:

spinnytop said:

Just because a player is silver doesn't mean they play for free. I am silver but Cryptic still get $15 a month from me but on my own terms. I'll sub proper when they ditch that gold to silver conversion bollocks on ATs.

A Color re-tinting token for a single toon should be an item in the store. That way Silvers get to change the colors of powers and it still remains a bonus for subbing.
    Actually Silvers do play for free. You're giving them that 15$ by choice - if you suddenly decided you didn't want to do that one month, they wouldn't stop you from playing.

If I fly over to edinburg once a month and hand you fifteen dollars is that the same as you standing at the border of your country and preventing me from entering your country until I give you fifteen dollars? Also does that mean I get to complain that you won't paint my toenails? The answer is no in case you were wondering u3u

There is actually currently an item that you can buy to enable power coloring. It costs about 15 dollars and will unlock power coloring for a whole month on all your characters! Yeah yeah I know, just having a laugh with ya there, get that sourpuss off your face. It's still true though. Considering the actual item is likely to be almost as expensive as a FF slot when it does get released you can't even get mad.
  • Options
    chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    There is a difference between games designed as Free to pay and ones which start as Subscription only and add a Free to Pay option. (no there are no typos in that sentence)
    NW, designed as a Free to Pay has added a subs option, called the VIP program.

Now all they need to do is FIND the part in files,
    amend it and decide on a suitably high price. Which of course, everyone will complain is too high.​​
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    xacchaeusxacchaeus Posts: 308 Arc User
    what do you have against silvers paying for more options spinny?
  • Options
    aesicaaesica Posts: 2,537 Arc User
    Power and aura tinting shouldn't even be something players have to pay for. Everyone should get it, gold and silver alike, because it conveys no gameplay advantages whatsoever. What it does do is help showcase another faucet of this game's unique level of character customization.
    (Hopefully) Useful CO Resources: HeroCreator (character planner), Cosmic Timers/Alert Checklist, Blood Moon Map, Anniversary Cat Map, and more (eventually, anyway).
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    That could be said about almost anything in the game.

Fact is, it's not free and just like Gold Costumes, you should be able to sub and get them or pay to get them.

Either way, they should not be free.
  • Options
    xacchaeus said:

what do you have against silvers paying for more options spinny?

Nothing at all, I've frequently supported the idea.
  • Options
    aesicaaesica Posts: 2,537 Arc User

That could be said about almost anything in the game.

Fact is, it's not free and just like Gold Costumes, you should be able to sub and get them or pay to get them.

The problem is that, currently, CO tries too hard to make subscriptions too valuable, and given the current population situation, that leaves it in something of a trap: People are less likely to sub for a lower population game when the lack of population hinders their ability to play it properly. Fewer people playing (both subbed and free) means fewer people spending (or potentially willing to spend) zen on the game, period.

For the sake of the game's health, silver players sampling the game really should get more "nice things" to make them want to stick around. Since power/aura tinting gives literally zero gameplay advantages, but is still a very cool feature which adds even more depth to this game's character customization, there's absolutely zero reason to not make it free for everyone, everywhere.
    (Hopefully) Useful CO Resources: HeroCreator (character planner), Cosmic Timers/Alert Checklist, Blood Moon Map, Anniversary Cat Map, and more (eventually, anyway).
  • Options
    chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    How many new players even think about colouring their powers?
    It's usually the ones who have been playing a while who ask about it.
    Now I'll repeat my previous post.
    First they have to FIND THE FILES, with the power colouring in. Then work out how to attach them to separate silver characters without getting the whole acct. Mind you, one for trials and one for whole account would be sensible..... a word not to be used with Cryptic.
    Next , i've been getting messages from the person who posted how to change colours for silvers.
    He thinks, we're getting colour tinting because HIS POSTS ALL GOT WIPED, along with eveyone else's on how to change colours.
    I have been trying to explain to him, that this is not a good thing.
    SO far I've managed to keep it polite and not call him a F..ing idiot for posting how to do it, in detail,as the OP of a thread.
    I've just sent him a message, telling him, If he's doing something.. dubious, to keep his mouth shut and only tell people in private chat. I'm against exploits but I'm more against that level of stupidity.

There is no facepalm big enough for this guy's action.
    anyway, I'll sign the petition.
    As long as my powers aren't yellow(too bright for me) I'm not worried, I 'm more worried about their effectiveness.​​
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    chaelk said:

SNIP

This works only for items. There's no way to color powers themselves for silvers. And I don't think it should get removed somehow - this feature is useful for both golds and silvers. Can you find a rule, where's mentioned, that silvers shouldn't color their items? Auras are items, and silvers can tint them. Maybe they need to remove that as well? Silvers can tint devices by handing them over gold friends, but forcing them to do that is a perversion.

l posted that, because l wanted to see a bit less improperly tinted players amongst mah teammates. And it hung on forum for almost a year.
  • Options
    avianosavianos Posts: 6,058 Arc User
    edited July 2016

By all means, I agree, it shouldn't be something given for free
    I would be happy with an Account Wide Z-Store item that unlocks this Feature for 1500 Zen (INCLUDING Emanations points and pet skins)
    or like someone else mentioned, with a character bound token for 300 Zen each, I don't mind, i may have a lot of characters but NOT all of them need to be able to change colours

Getting Silvers having to pay for features Subscriber get for Free is actually a really good marketing strategy, it means more Microtransactions​​
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
  • Options
    aesica said:

... another faucet of this game's unique level of character customization.

Can I customise this faucet?

photo wall-mounted-lowes-kitchen-faucets-in-brushed-nickel-finish-for-kitchen-decoration-ideas-kitchen-faucet-low-water-pressure-delta-faucets-lowes-kitchen-sink-faucets-moen-shower-faucet-m.jpg
    zrdRBy8.png
  • Options
    spinnytop said:

nepht said:

spinnytop said:

Actually Silvers do play for free. You're giving them that 15$ by choice - if you suddenly decided you didn't want to do that one month, they wouldn't stop you from playing.

If I fly over to edinburg once a month and hand you fifteen dollars is that the same as you standing at the border of your country and preventing me from entering your country until I give you fifteen dollars? Also does that mean I get to complain that you won't paint my toenails? The answer is no in case you were wondering u3u

There is actually currently an item that you can buy to enable power coloring. It costs about 15 dollars and will unlock power coloring for a whole month on all your characters! Yeah yeah I know, just having a laugh with ya there, get that sourpuss off your face. It's still true though. Considering the actual item is likely to be almost as expensive as a FF slot when it does get released you can't even get mad.
    Do you even know what the term DOESN'T MEAN actually mean? A silver can play for free but many don't.

*I don't pull mah punches not even for guildies :P

• Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User

aesica said:

photo wall-mounted-lowes-kitchen-faucets-in-brushed-nickel-finish-for-kitchen-decoration-ideas-kitchen-faucet-low-water-pressure-delta-faucets-lowes-kitchen-sink-faucets-moen-shower-faucet-m.jpg
    I would start by changing the blue disk for a different color. There's a variety of possible forms of water beyond hot and cold. You have fresh(non-chlorinated), salt, grey, a variety of options for watering plants that contain dissolved fertilizers.
    avianos said:

Getting Silvers having to pay for features Subscriber get for Free is actually a really good marketing strategy, it means more Microtransactions​​

I first heard about power colors while playing STO. As a silver player I would never have noticed except when seeing a non-silver use recolored powers.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • Options

aesica said:

I would start by changing the blue disk for a different color. There's a variety of possible forms of water beyond hot and cold. You have fresh(non-chlorinated), salt, grey, a variety of options for watering plants that contain dissolved fertilizers.
    But can I do it for free?

zrdRBy8.png
  • Options
    I support this idea, of giving Silvers *some* method for being able to do this.
  • Options
    @themightyzenith

*slow clap*

Not for free.
  • Options
    nepht said:

Do you even know what the term DOESN'T MEAN actually mean? A silver can play for free but many don't.

All silvers play for free. Do you know what play means? u3u

It's like the mall. They let you in there for free. If you end up buying something, it doesn't mean you didn't get in the mall for free.

Some people play for free and then buy stuff to use while playing for free.

I guess I gotta post a gif now or something...
  • Options
    but wasn't your point that silver players get enough for free and should not ask for more? Using the same mall analogy, even though going to the mall is free, people who buy stuff in it get free parking. so people who have bought things in CO, have all the right to ask for stuff being given to them since they are actually spending money on the CO "mall".
    It doesn't matter if you're subbed or not. the moment you spend money on something you have more ground to ask for a certain service.
    natesig.jpg

• Options
    edited July 2016
    spinnytop said:

Some people play for free and then buy stuff to use while playing for free.

I guess I gotta post a gif now or something...

That isnt free then U__u

By ur logic that means LTS are playing for free.

This discussion has been closed.