test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Mounts

prettyceltprettycelt Posts: 120 Arc User
I don't know if this has already been suggested, but having played both Champions and Neverwinter Online, would it be too difficult to import mounts over to CO? Or for that matter, have ground vehicles? This would open the door for motorcycles, choppers, muscle cars, 4-wheelers, horses, tigers, bulls...the list goes on and on. It would be a cash crop IMO, and wildly popular. It would also allow for those 'historical' or ancient-themed characters to find rides that fit their concept, and certainly wouldn't seem any more inconvenient than getting around with, say, Acrobatics as a travel power....
Sigblock_zpsj1x4gbuk.jpg

Comments

• roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    The game engine does not support ground-based vehicles/characters/etc that have more than one contact point. Once a four-legged or otherwise wide/low moving object reaches a certain size, it's ground movement becomes floaty and it clips with slopes or semi-hovers.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • prettyceltprettycelt Posts: 120 Arc User

The game engine does not support ground-based vehicles/characters/etc that have more than one contact point. Once a four-legged or otherwise wide/low moving object reaches a certain size, it's ground movement becomes floaty and it clips with slopes or semi-hovers.

This isn't the same game engine as they use in Neverwinter? It's all Cryptic........
    Sigblock_zpsj1x4gbuk.jpg

It is not the same game engine, no.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • soulforgersoulforger Posts: 1,649 Arc User

It is not the same game engine, no.

Actually, it is the same engine, just that the version is different. CO, STO, and NW use the same engines at different versions. CO's engine version is basically the beta version. They could update the engine to make things work, but, that would take more work than anything they have ever worked on before, but, that will not happen for that would take to many resources they don't have.
  • championshewolfchampionshewolf Posts: 4,375 Arc User
    soulforger wrote: »
    Actually, it is the same engine, just that the version is different. CO, STO, and NW use the same engines at different versions. CO's engine version is basically the beta version. They could update the engine to make things work, but, that would take more work than anything they have ever worked on before, but, that will not happen for that would take to many resources they don't have.

It's more of an investment issue than a time issue. Neverwinter also uses some additional plug ins as well that don't exist in the base Cryptic engine. Needless to say, I think a code merge and update to Champions would be an incredible thing at this point, but convincing the bean counters it would be worth the investment is the hard part. Champion is now, I believe 6 years out of date compared to STO or NW as far as code work goes.​​
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!

It's more of an investment issue than a time issue. Neverwinter also uses some additional plug ins as well that don't exist in the base Cryptic engine. Needless to say, I think a code merge and update to Champions would be an incredible thing at this point, but convincing the bean counters it would be worth the investment is the hard part. Champion is now, I believe 6 years out of date compared to STO or NW as far as code work goes.​​

Yeah, that is true.
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    CO had one time it was upgraded to main branch code; it was called the 'kitchen sink patch' and broke stuff for months. IIRC that was in 2010, so only a year out of date and already a lot of problems. Trying to upgrade CO to the main branch now would be a nightmare.
    CO had one time it was upgraded to main branch code; it was called the 'kitchen sink patch' and broke stuff for months. IIRC that was in 2010, so only a year out of date and already a lot of problems. Trying to upgrade CO to the main branch now would be a nightmare.

Two times. There was the kitchen sink patch but they routinely were going to update it more often. They updated it again around the F2P update, but once On Alert hit, well, what I was told is that On alert basically f---ed everything up making a smooth code merge impossible.

Again, a code merge is desperately needed, the problem is convincing the bean counters it would be worth the investment (which I think many of us would say yes it would).​​
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS

Two times. There was the kitchen sink patch but they routinely were going to update it more often. They updated it again around the F2P update, but once On Alert hit, well, what I was told is that On alert basically f---ed everything up making a smooth code merge impossible.

Again, a code merge is desperately needed, the problem is convincing the bean counters it would be worth the investment (which I think many of us would say yes it would).​​

Aye, its player base would say it is, but, I doubt the bean counters would listen to us.
    So not a different engine, but such and older version that might as well be.
    :D

• squirrelloidsquirrelloid Posts: 869 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    Just because land-based mounts wouldn't work doesn't mean we couldn't have flying mounts.

I'm holding out hope for a unicorn death pony who rides through the skies on a cloud of rainbows and sunshine. With Kaiserin, it may even happen!

(At the very least, could we have some 'vehicles' that weren't machines? Magical constructs? Flying animal mounts? Bound qlippothic tentacle barges? something?)

So not a different engine, but such and older version that might as well be.
    :D

True, it might as well be.

Just because land-based mounts wouldn't work doesn't mean we couldn't have flying mounts.

I'm holding out hope for a unicorn death pony who rides through the skies on a cloud of rainbows and sunshine. With Kaiserin, it may even happen!

(At the very least, could we have some 'vehicles' that weren't machines? Magical constructs? Flying animal mounts? Bound qlippothic tentacle barges? something?)

Good point, flying mounts might be doable.
  • eiledoneiledon Posts: 1,287 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    Neverwinter uses a later branch of the game engine and a lot of improvements are not backwards compatible, on top of this the code to get ground mounts working was specially written for that branch.

The only ground mounts we could really get that wouldn't look strange would perhaps be Big Wheel type vehicles (like Grievous cycle when fleeing from Obi Wan in prequels) which have a single point/small area of ground contact

As for animated flying mounts - the issue here i believe is getting animator time which is very limited commodity in Cryptic.​​
    eiledon said:

Neverwinter uses a later branch of the game engine and a lot of improvements are not backwards compatible, on top of this the code to get ground mounts working was specially written for that branch.

The only ground mounts we could really get that wouldn't look strange would perhaps be Big Wheel type vehicles (like Grievous cycle when fleeing from Obi Wan in prequels) which have a single point/small area of ground contact

As for animated flying mounts - the issue here i believe is getting animator time which is very limited commodity in Cryptic.​​

The skeleton animation should be portable between versions. At least NWO uses emotes that were part of CO. So it should take only limited work to port the horse skeleton movements from NWO to CO, i would think. At which point, once it doesn't have to be on the ground (because its flying), that should be mostly sufficient.
    The skeleton animation should be portable between versions. At least NWO uses emotes that were part of CO. So it should take only limited work to port the horse skeleton movements from NWO to CO, i would think. At which point, once it doesn't have to be on the ground (because its flying), that should be mostly sufficient.

Neverwinter uses a completely different skeletal animation system which has more bones in it to, from my understanding, so not exactly portable.​​
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
    edited June 2016

Neverwinter uses a completely different skeletal animation system which has more bones in it to, from my understanding, so not exactly portable.​​

That's strange, since they use some of the same emotes we have.

But regardless, CO doesn't even have a horse animation, so there's no quantity to be greater than in CO. Just use whatever skeletal animation for horses they have.
    That's strange, since they use some of the same emotes we have.

But regardless, CO doesn't even have a horse animation, so there's no quantity to be greater than in CO. Just use whatever skeletal animation for horses they have.

As I said, Champions engine needs an update and desperately. Not just on simple animations and such, but on the sheer number of systems that the other two games have that work so much better. But again, we have to convince the bean counters it would e worth such an update in man hours to convert the code over.​​
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • flechusflechus Posts: 113 Arc User
    Hold on
    The game engine does not support ground-based vehicles/characters/etc that have more than one contact point.
    then, how about mono-bikes?

I support "Sell Z-store items individually" & Japan Zone
  • chalupaoffurychalupaoffury Posts: 2,553 Arc User
    FYI, if you wanna see *why* this won't work, go over to the institute just to the west of ren center, and stand at the top of the ramps that come up from west side. Watch the cars as they get to the top of the ramp, and you'll see why we'll never get ground vehicles.

I think this and wall crawling/running are historically the 2 most common requests, so of course they're also the hardest to do.
    In game, I am @EvilTaco. Happily killing purple gang members since May 2008.
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine