What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Silver Rec, Heroics, Prices.

Comments

• Options
    spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    jonsills said:

Okay, yeah. Now we're running up against the boredom problem. I'm supposed to run the same Alert all day, in order to get enough SCR to buy one or two of the pieces?

As I said before, if I wanted to just grind Alerts, I'd be leveling by grinding Alerts. That's not what I dropped $300 to play.

http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/championsonline#/discussion/1204353/things-you-wish-gave-silver-recognition

^ come and post what it is you dropped $300 to play, maybe the devs will add SCR rewards to it
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    spinnytop said:

jonsills said:

Okay, yeah. Now we're running up against the boredom problem. I'm supposed to run the same Alert all day, in order to get enough SCR to buy one or two of the pieces?

As I said before, if I wanted to just grind Alerts, I'd be leveling by grinding Alerts. That's not what I dropped $300 to play.

http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/championsonline#/discussion/1204353/things-you-wish-gave-silver-recognition

^ come and post what it is you dropped $300 to play, maybe the devs will add SCR rewards to it
    Someone already listed mine - let it drop randomly from level 38+ mobs. By that point, UNITY should be scrutinizing you as a candidate...
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    jonsills said:

spinnytop said:

jonsills said:

Someone already listed mine - let it drop randomly from level 38+ mobs. By that point, UNITY should be scrutinizing you as a candidate...
    All righty, as long as it's on there :smile:
  • Options
    hasukurobihasukurobi Posts: 405 Arc User
    jonsills said:

So TA gives out "tons" of SCR. The very SCR you need to purchase the gear the devs intended you to have before even attempting TA, which awards the SCR.

Are you beginning to see the issue here?

This, oddly, tends to be a common model in many MMO's and Cryptic is no stranger to this. I have honestly never understood it. "You need this awesome gear in order to play this end game content." "Cool so how do I get it?" "Play this end game content!" "But... You just said..."
  • Options
    edited February 2016

jonsills said:

So TA gives out "tons" of SCR. The very SCR you need to purchase the gear the devs intended you to have before even attempting TA, which awards the SCR.

This, oddly, tends to be a common model in many MMO's and Cryptic is no stranger to this. I have honestly never understood it. "You need this awesome gear in order to play this end game content." "Cool so how do I get it?" "Play this end game content!" "But... You just said..."
    You can get SCR outside of TA. Lots more, and much easier and faster, than the amount you can get in TA. So, to be honest, no I'm not seeing the issue here. Why would you go to TA to get geared up for TA? You don't have to, and you'd accomplish that goal much, much faster by getting SCR from sources outside of TA.

You can also buy more than just Heroic gear with SCR, that's why TA drops it ( and a bunch of the stuff you can get with GCR also costs SCR ).
  • Options
    spinnytop said:

jonsills said:

You can get SCR outside of TA. Lots more, and much easier and faster, than the amount you can get in TA. So, to be honest, no I'm not seeing the issue here. Why would you go to TA to get geared up for TA? You don't have to, and you'd accomplish that goal much, much faster by getting SCR from sources outside of TA.

You can also buy more than just Heroic gear with SCR, that's why TA drops it ( and a bunch of the stuff you can get with GCR also costs SCR ).
    It is not just SCR's or this particular event this is a normal standard sort of way of doing things. Also I am only really aware of one way to get SCR's and that is like 10 a day... It would be nice if they had a proper in-game listing somewhere of where to get a lot of these things or find these missions you need as prereq for the higher end devices and such.
  • Options

It is not just SCR's or this particular event this is a normal standard sort of way of doing things. Also I am only really aware of one way to get SCR's and that is like 10 a day... It would be nice if they had a proper in-game listing somewhere of where to get a lot of these things or find these missions you need as prereq for the higher end devices and such.

This might be an incomplete list:
    - Alert Daily
    - Custom Alert Daily
    - Mechanon Quest Chain
    - Rampages
    - Serpent Lantern, Resistance, Demon Flame, Aftershock, Whiteout
    - Unity dailies( npcs in unity instance also have % chance to drop scr )

Feel like I'm forgetting something...
  • Options
    chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    hasukurobi wrote: »

my favourite is on a first run in WOW.
    "everyone know what to do?"
    " no first time."
    " what? Why don't you know what to do , you're supposed to know all the fights beforehand."
    at that point the tank left in disgust.(with a rude comment about that dps person)
    new tank comes in. opening line
    "It's my first time , can someone give me some pointers."
    Dps " oh ****, you're useless.I'll tank."
    another dps leaves in disgust.
    alert daily at 40(5 per)
    custom alert daily- at 40(5 per)
    mechanon quest chain- haven't checked on an under 40(varies by mission)
    rampages(3 per)- from 35 on, as many times a day as you can stand and get into.
    adventure packs- at 40(10 at end)
    UNITY at 40(varies between unity 1 &2)​​
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

• Options
    chaelk said:

" no first time."

" what? Why don't you know what to do , you're supposed to know all the fights beforehand."

at that point the tank left in disgust.(with a rude comment about that dps person)

That reminds me of two people in CO. Obviously I won't mention their names, but you probably have them on ignore.
  • Options
    holloweaverholloweaver Posts: 582 Arc User
    spinnytop said:

Nope, not faster but way slower than before.
    They shift from everyone can get his heroic set, to only dedicated farmers can get his heroic set.
    If you can't see the difference between everyone and dedicated farmers, that's not my problem.
  • Options
    jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,465 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    I'm wondering when we will see the first 2x SCR/GCR weekend?

I wonder if we'll ever see purchasable boosts for SCR/GCR in the z-store? You know: +x% SCR/GCR over y amount of time.

I wonder if we'll ever see a currency converter item in the z-store. E.g. something that will allow you to convert a lesser currency up to a higher one. E.g. 10 Untils get you 1 SCR or 10 SCR get you 1 GCR? Could be a money maker for them.

Another option would be to let us fuse currencies. 625 MCPD > 125 Primus > 25 Until > 5 SCR > 1 GCR with GCR maybe the equivalent of a R7 mod; i.e. treat MCPD as R3? Might encourage people to spend money on catalyst safeguards and the like.​​
    Post edited by jaazaniah1 on
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
  • Options
    xcelsior41xcelsior41 Posts: 1,056 Arc User

I'm wondering when we will see the first 2x SCR/GCR weekend?

I wonder if we'll ever see purchasable boosts for SCR/GCR in the z-store? You know: +x% SCR/GCR over y amount of time.

I wonder if we'll ever see a currency converter item in the z-store. E.g. something that will allow you to convert a lesser currency up to a higher one. E.g. 10 Untils get you 1 SCR or 10 SCR get you 1 GCR? Could be a money maker for them.

Another option would be to let us fuse currencies. 625 MCPD > 125 Primus > 25 Until > 5 SCR > 1 GCR with GCR maybe the equivalent of a R7 mod; i.e. treat MCPD as R3? Might encourage people to spend money on catalyst safeguards and the like.​​

A 1:1 conversion should not be sold, it should be a custom. It only makes sense, you can take 1 SCR and make it into 1 MCR, why can't it be vice versa for SCR to GCR?
    Buffing everything to stupid high levels and nerfing everything to piss poor levels yields the same results, but not the same community reactions.

42 40s, LTSer.
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    chaelk said:

" no first time."

​​

That sort of thing was my final straw in that game - other things had been piling up and annoying me, but there comes a point in level progression when, in order to get any farther, you need to run some content that is explicitly group - that is to say, if you're not in a group, you can't even get in. And that attitude is (or at least was) dismayingly prevalent in that game.

And I've been seeing hints of it in discussions of this content, too. "All you need is a group where everyone is properly geared and knows what they're doing..." Sounds a lot like "You have to know the fights" to me, coupled with overtones of "Gear check!"
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

• Options
    I'm trying to think of a way to get rid of all that useless Until currency that I have that might make it palatable to the company. Only way I can see to do that is making it something that they can make some money on.
    xcelsior41 wrote: »
    A 1:1 conversion should not be sold, it should be a custom. It only makes sense, you can take 1 SCR and make it into 1 MCR, why can't it be vice versa for SCR to GCR?
    ​​
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
  • Options

I'm trying to think of a way to get rid of all that useless Until currency that I have that might make it palatable to the company. Only way I can see to do that is making it something that they can make some money on.

​​

I know, I'm just saying, you can downgrade already in game..I don't see how or really why they'd want to make upgrading cost..I mean, if anything add a chance to get SCR/GCR through lockboxes, it'll promote more keys to be sold/boxes opened, which will look good to bean counters.
    Buffing everything to stupid high levels and nerfing everything to piss poor levels yields the same results, but not the same community reactions.

42 40s, LTSer.
  • Options

I know, I'm just saying, you can downgrade already in game..I don't see how or really why they'd want to make upgrading cost..I mean, if anything add a chance to get SCR/GCR through lockboxes, it'll promote more keys to be sold/boxes opened, which will look good to bean counters.

It's funny how people alternate between "How dare they do a cash grab!!!!!" and "hey put stuff in lockboxes".
  • Options
    spinnytop said:

It's funny how people alternate between "How dare they do a cash grab!!!!!" and "hey put stuff in lockboxes".
    Hey, he suggested they want to make money, I'm just playing along with his theories. Personally, I'm for keeping it free(If you read my previous post).

42 40s, LTSer.
  • Options
    That might come off as too much "pay to win"? I'd just like a way to get some use out of the hundreds and hundreds of Until tokens I have. I've bought everything I need from the store and the stuff just keeps piling up. Paying to have a chance to convert them to SCR or GCR would help with that, and give them some money.
    ​​
    JwLmWoa.png
  • Options

That might come off as too much "pay to win"? I'd just like a way to get some use out of the hundreds and hundreds of Until tokens I have. I've bought everything I need from the store and the stuff just keeps piling up. Paying to have a chance to convert them to SCR or GCR would help with that, and give them some money.

​​

That's just going off of what you said about potential routes to money, not something I actually vouched for, as it would be most definitely pay to win :/. like I said originally before the whole how to make money thing spruced up, I want a free way to convert up, since we can already convert down.

42 40s, LTSer.
  • Options
    nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User

I want a free way to convert up, since we can already convert down.

This need to happen pronto.

nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • Options
    nepht said:

Okay, 50 SCR -> 1 GCR
  • Options
    bazodeebazodee Posts: 151 Arc User
    nepht said:

I'll co-sign. I've got a bunch of Unity (capped on two toons) with nothing to spend it on - cause I've bought all the unity stuff already.

I wont mind giving some (if not all) away on GCR conversion
    I don't like Sigs, but I'll leave this here anyway. At least I'm not to trying to hypnotise you with moving things!
  • Options
    spinnytop said:

nepht said:

Okay, 50 SCR -> 1 GCR
    I'd hate to say, but look at NW. It's the thing now with Cryptic. Bat s**t crazy price conversion :).

42 40s, LTSer.
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    ok character levelled to 40 using missions plus daily alert missions and Harmon labs.(after the changes to 10 packs.
    minus 20 of the 2 lowest recognitions for heal items.
    ok in Aurum gear, so it can go slower. (22hrs)
    Taking only XP and Recognition rewards.
    I'm finishing Andrithal ,then going to do the Qulaar area I outlevelled. So I'll get some more there.
    This is a good reason for have your recognition in an account store.
    level%2040%20recog_zpswess1bs9.png
    @crypticarkayne​​

• Options
    draogndraogn Posts: 1,269 Arc User
    And now we can add the mechassassin costume pieces to the growing list of overpriced items in the recog vendors. (975 tokens each)
  • Options
    gogoginga1gogoginga1 Posts: 107 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    so , now rec comes in boxes as rewards ,how long before it turns up in lockboxes or is purchasable in the Q store or with zen

apologies if this has been noted before

and would this be a good idea or not ,

I certainly have very little chance of running TA and getting gold rec
  • Options
    draogndraogn Posts: 1,269 Arc User

so , now rec comes in boxes as rewards ,how long before it turns up in lockboxes or is purchasable in the Q store or with zen

That would likely be a bad idea.
  • Options
    nbkxs said:

No, it's not rampagers; it was a private channel created for people that had a passion for going to TA, was made private to keep the trolls out.​​

There is the problem eh? You cannot tout Channels making it easier when most people will not know about them and thus cannot use them. Same goes for some of these other methods of getting SCR. Nowhere in-game does it explain the ways to get them. You are told they are rewards for high-end content and pointed to a very small number of possible places to get them and that is it.

Most folks do not know anything about Unity 2 (assuming they really understand or ran Unity 1 which is a big assumption) and because a lot of the big boys show up so rarely and die so fast a lot of folks are not really that familiar with them either.

I can say that I have no idea who Vikiron(sp?) is or what that is about for instance and have only fought a small few of the Cosmics due to them usually being dead before I could even get a chance and that requires knowing where they are to begin with which is not something most do.
  • Options

Me and my mate already figured that was coming. It will either be in the boxes themselves or will be a Drifter Store item more likely.
  • Options
    draogn said:

That would likely be a bad idea.
    But a lot of devs love bad ideas. ;)

There's also a lot of differences between promises and facts, released contents and players' expectations.
    I'm not complaining here but does it always have to be incompatible? I don't think so either.
    So between promises that later there'll be other ways to get SCR... and facts? Lockbox might also be one of these other ways to get SCR.
  • Options

I'm not complaining

Now I'm questioning if you know what the word "complaining" means.

So between promises that later there'll be other ways to get SCR... and facts?

Do you have any facts?
  • Options
    spinnytop said:

Do you have any facts?
    Oh look, isn't it a question mark in my sentence?
  • Options

spinnytop said:

Do you have any facts?
    So then no.
  • Options
    spinnytop said:

spinnytop said:

Do you have any facts?
    So then no.
    Definitely not, nor am I stating any forthcoming fact either. I'm just wondering around what can be the different options. And I'm just not sure that the revamp on UNITY missions will really be 'that' incentive.
  • Options
    wraithshadow13wraithshadow13 Posts: 531 Arc User
    a big question is what affect will this have on alting? I already hardly play due to the numerous issues in this game, I really don't feel like grinding for gear in a game that clearly limps along at best, so having them unrealistically up the price for gear doesn't make sense. Yes, there are more places to get SCR, but considering that there are now better pieces of gear to have those prices shouldn't have had such a drastic jump, because now my main suffers, but the alts exponentially more so. If I have to grind for a few hours on a single character, i'm not going to grind on the others. If I have to grind, just to prepare for a different grindier grind, then my alts might as well not be there. This isn't a AAA game, regardless of what they're charging for things. When the game makes gear harder to get without making it worth the price, people find different games to play. If they're adding ridiculous rewards to missions no one wants to play, people will find a different game. It's bad enough going for one hero's set and mods, but given how many alts most people have, how realistic is it that they're going to want to spend so much time going for so little?

I know the hardcore yesmen will always agree with cryptic and the poor decisions they constantly and consistently make, but given that most players don't spend hours a day grinding away on this game, I really don't get why they're making gear that much more expensive with no boost to the gear. More so, if they're just going to wait a few months and add a different set of gear for the same overpriced grind and rinse and repeat, without actually adding substance to the game, as they do with all of their games.

I would much rather they spend the time and effort on things that improve the game, rather than little one off additions that either do nothing for the game, or just add bugs and grinds. This game just really isn't worth it, especially in it's current state.
  • Options
    nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    Problem is putting FTP grinding in a game that wasn't FTP to begin with makes the whole game feel a bit naff >_>"
    A lot of us here on the forum have the retail disc and we will never like grind. The harder it is to get good gear the more likely people are to spend money in store. That wouldn't be a bad thing if you could just buy legion gear straight from the in game shop.

I get that keeping servers open costs money but Cryptic just make it easier for us to buy the stuff we want if you dont want us using heroic gear. Be upfront about it don't be Capcom levels of d***head.
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • Options
    nepht said:

Problem is putting FTP grinding in a game that wasn't FTP to begin with makes the whole game feel a bit naff >_>"
    A lot of us here on the forum have the retail disc and we will never like grind. The harder it is to get good gear the more likely people are to spend money in store. That wouldn't be a bad thing if you could just buy legion gear straight from the in game shop.

I get that keeping servers open costs money but Cryptic just make it easier for us to buy the stuff we want if you dont want us using heroic gear. Be upfront about it don't be Capcom levels of d***head.

The game has been FTP for years... in fact, has it been FTP longer than PTP yet?

Anyways, here's how it works: It's not a grind if you're having fun doing the things to get the rewards. If you're not having fun doing the things to get the rewards, then why are you doing them? You only have yourself to blame if you're suffering through a grind.

Now, I was going to use my dog to explain the SCR costs via a video, but it's cold outside and I can't hold my tablet still while throwing a ball so just picture this:

I hold up the ball, and there's an arrow pointing to it saying Rewards. Then an arrow points to the dog saying Playerbase. Then an arrow points to my lawn saying Content. Then I throw the ball five feet, the dog walks over and grabs it, and then stares at the camera; I put a word bubble next to the dog's face that says "Im bored now." Then I throw the ball super far ( I have one of those ball thrower thingies ) and we watch as the dog runs a lot longer.

So, what have we learned:
    - High time to completion lengthens the lifetime of content ( we've been saying this for years )
    - Stop doing grinds that aren't fun, you don't need any of that stuff what you need is to be having fun while playing video games
    - The majority of gamers are basically as conscious of what they're doing while playing video games as a dog is while its chasing a ball
    - Your memories of "before FTP" are becoming less relevant every year.
    - Nepht hates Capcom but buys and plays their games religiously.
  • Options
    thatcursedwolfthatcursedwolf Posts: 484 Arc User
    spinnytop said:

nepht said:

The game has been FTP for years... in fact, has it been FTP longer than PTP yet?

Anyways, here's how it works: It's not a grind if you're having fun doing the things to get the rewards. If you're not having fun doing the things to get the rewards, then why are you doing them? You only have yourself to blame if you're suffering through a grind.

Now, I was going to use my dog to explain the SCR costs via a video, but it's cold outside and I can't hold my tablet still while throwing a ball so just picture this:

I hold up the ball, and there's an arrow pointing to it saying Rewards. Then an arrow points to the dog saying Playerbase. Then an arrow points to my lawn saying Content. Then I throw the ball five feet, the dog walks over and grabs it, and then stares at the camera; I put a word bubble next to the dog's face that says "Im bored now." Then I throw the ball super far ( I have one of those ball thrower thingies ) and we watch as the dog runs a lot longer.

So, what have we learned:
    - High time to completion lengthens the lifetime of content ( we've been saying this for years )
    - Stop doing grinds that aren't fun, you don't need any of that stuff what you need is to be having fun while playing video games
    - The majority of gamers are basically as conscious of what they're doing while playing video games as a dog is while its chasing a ball
    - Your memories of "before FTP" are becoming less relevant every year.
    - Nepht hates Capcom but buys and plays their games religiously.
    Then you load the ball into a potato gun with UNITY on the side, fire the ball 6 blocks away, the dog looks at you and wonders why you don't want to play fetch.
    This is my Risian Corvette. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
  • Options
    roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    Let's just hope there isn't another SCR store bug, and then you get no refund after the bug is acknowledged and fixed.

I lost 45 SCR on one toon and 30 on another. Cutserv says, "we can't help".

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • Options
    spinnytop said:

Then you slap the dog, take the ball away and hide it, and refuse to throw it again until 24 hours later. After a couple of days, you wonder why your dog doesn't like to play fetch any more.

• Options
    edited February 2016
    jonsills said:

Then you slap the dog, take the ball away and hide it, and refuse to throw it again until 24 hours later. After a couple of days, you wonder why your dog doesn't like to play fetch any more.

If you had hair it would be dyed black and covering half your face.
    Post edited by spinnytop on
  • Options
    biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    spinnytop said:

jonsills said:

If you had hair it would be bleached black and covering half your face.
    Bleaching makes things lighter. You can't bleach hair black. That's like pooping the toilet white.
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options

spinnytop said:

jonsills said:

If you had hair it would be bleached black and covering half your face.
    Bleaching makes things lighter. You can't bleach hair black. That's like pooping the toilet white.
    Fixed it, thanks for the heads up.
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Let's just hope there isn't another SCR store bug, and then you get no refund after the bug is acknowledged and fixed.

I lost 45 SCR on one toon and 30 on another. Cutserv says, "we can't help".

I lost 30 SCR on the secondaries.
    I have seen several people asking about buying the devices for 350 SCR. I quietly exlained to them,t hey had F.. All chance due to there being very few people who will have 350 SCR and even less who will waste it , on buying someone else a device.
    The first one decided to give up ,t he second took a list of farming SCR things.
    actually the first thing I did was ask if they had the prereq mission or perk for the item?What, you have to do something before you can use them.​​

• Options
    mijjesticmijjestic Posts: 481 Arc User

Then you load the ball into a potato gun with UNITY on the side, fire the ball 6 blocks away, the dog looks at you and wonders why you don't want to play fetch.

Pretty much - there is a 'sweet spot' to effort vs. reward. This isn't fetch, it's a long-term hunt, if that. Probably more like 'find a ball occasionally while hunting other stuff'.
  • Options
    gemini2099gemini2099 Posts: 118 Arc User
    I don't see the point in continuing.

The heroic gear allowed me to be competitive with those with better gear. Now my low grade gear has turned into:

1. Vastly inferior
    2. Massive grind to obtain

If this is to force me to do the new content for better gear, then no thanks. Goodbye all.

I will be back when this game undergoes radical changes for the better. Time for Valiance Online testing!
    Gemini - Lvl 4x - Soldier
    Omicron - Lvl 4x - Mind
    Emerald Myst - Lvl 2x - Claws/Fighting Hybrid
    Epsilon - Lvl 2x - Blade
    Asterius - Lvl 1x - Electric/Void Hybrid

• Options
    Think Imma just do mercs and buy other gear.

42 40s, LTSer.
  • Options

make everybody work like dog

lol!

I will be back when this game undergoes radical changes for the better.

lol!
  • Options
    mijjestic said:

Pretty much - there is a 'sweet spot' to effort vs. reward. This isn't fetch, it's a long-term hunt, if that. Probably more like 'find a ball occasionally while hunting other stuff'.
    The other day, just to see if the +healing bonus would benefit the character, I bought a +healing primary offense Heroic item off the vendor. The bonus did not benefit the character so I vendor'd it. Not a single tear was shed.
This discussion has been closed.