test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

When you use a RETCON, it means, to start over a rebuild

I did my first non-free form toon recently. After a few days I was up on L39 and was very unhappy with the power form. I died too much and wanted to use REGEN or something else. However after I wiped my toon I found I'm forced to pick the same damn powers again. It doesn't make sense. I don't want these exact same powers again. I want to change the character. My suggestion is to change this so that when you do a RETCON you do a complete wipe of the character and not be forced to use the same powers again.

Comments

• eiledoneiledon Posts: 1,287 Arc User
    Freeforms have access to all powers (which you have unlocked) so using a retcon on one of those allows you to pick any of those powers.

Archetypes have a fixed list of powers to choose from. If you wish to change from one archetype to another (thus choose from a different set of powers which is what you are suggesting) then you purchase the already existing RETRAIN token from the cstore. The text within the item descriptions in the store does make it clear a retcon does not change character type.​​
  • digitalbeachbumdigitalbeachbum Posts: 75 Arc User
    I didn't purchase the RETCON. I'm a lifer. I had seven RETCON saved and since I haven't used the Cstore until recently to purchase the box keys, I didn't know there was a "retrain". All kind of stupid really. I got to pick two different powers and every thing else was locked. There is no advantage to using a Archetype in fact it turns out to be a disadvantage and I'll never use it again.
    And on a side note. Any form with out a blocking upgrade/specific block is just plain silly - and the form I'm locked in to has no blocking power.
  • eiledoneiledon Posts: 1,287 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    As a lifer you get a free retrain on each character on your account, so you can retrain a AT to FF or FF to AT should you wish. You can use that to choose something else for this character if you havent used it already.

This is why most subs/lts use FF you can build as you like. As I said Archetypes are fixed power lists. You have option not to use those as a sub/lifer but you chose to. This is not a deficiency of the game - it is an option you chose to use. Archetypes were introduced to simplify the game for the percieved Free To Play market which was used to playing specific 'classes' in their mmos as such is the default for Silver accounts.

How good or bad Archetypes is, is a conversation for another thread not suggestions however.​​
    I did not see a RETRAIN, but will look again.

I have all other characters as FF but I was using the last slot and I said "I wonder what this will bring me..." so I tried it but I didn't know you couldn't break out of the preform because I never used them previously.

Thanks for the info
  • iamruneiamrune Posts: 965 Arc User
    Retrains are used on the Character select screen, not in game like retcon tokens. good news is, once you use one on a character, it's powers are automatically wiped as if you get another free retcon so you didn't waste it completely.
    Thanks. I finally got around to retaining my first one.