test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Cannot claim promo character slot

seeker1235seeker1235 Posts: 64 Arc User
When attempting to claim the promo character slot, instead of having a "claim" button, I have the text "cannot purchase". I assume this is because I'm already well past the point of having so many character slots that the game no longer allows me to purchase new character slots (though I can get more by hitting 40 - by the way, I think the decision to put such a limit in was a poor one; character information hardly takes up any server space, especially relative to the profit from folks buying slots).

Anyway, it's a really nasty surprise to discover that most folks are getting a free character slot, but you're not, and I'm not the only one who's encountered this problem.

Comments

• Options
    iamynaughtiamynaught Posts: 41 Arc User
    I'm in a similar boat as I can't seem to get the free character slot, though for likely different reasons. I'm a former gold player who is now silver with 12 characters. I actually "purchased" the free character slot but for whatever reason, I don't have an open character slot. It shows in the Zen store that I did indeed get it, but no slot. I've been in touch with support and they are looking into it but it's been 4 days since I last heard anything.

I was wanting to get back into CO as I've been away for close to 6 months and was wanting to try the new tutorial, but without an open slot, I can't do that unless I delete one of my other characters, and that's not happening.

So I'm just waiting for support to solve the issue at this point before I give CO another go. If it doesn't pan out, maybe it's just time I uninstall CO for good.
    Losing faith in humanity, one person at a time.
  • Options
    eiledoneiledon Posts: 1,287 Arc User
    This Account (@Liath) Lifetime Subscriber for a couple of years, but prior to that as a silver I did buy some character slots (no FF slot though). Have been unable to claim promo character slot.

Additionally like iamynaught, on my alt silver account (which I had a 1 month subscription from a retail code, now lapsed) I still have characters within slots that were provided as part of the subscription (over and above the free silver slots, and level 40 'earned' slots), when I claimed the promo slot on this account it did not give me an empty slot, but instead allocated the promo slot to replace one of the existing ex-subscription slots - at least this is consistent with what happens when you buy a character slot directly in this same situation.

• Options
    maleb666maleb666 Posts: 364 Arc User
    Well, on my main account, still nothing... My wife has a silver account and was able to get the slot without problems.

Friends with all kind of accounts (silver, gold and LTS), with or without bought slots also were able to get the slot, so I don't think it's a matter of "if you bought a slot or not"... Also, Gold friends that went Silver, then back to Gold or straight to LTS were able to get the slot as well, so the problem is not there. Slot Cap is also not a problem, cuz friends with over 60/80/100 slots were able to get the free one anyway.

No idea what it could be, but some of us still having the issue.
    eupmtpu59ppn.jpg
  • Options
    gillfignofignogillfignofigno Posts: 64 Arc User
    I can't claim the slot either. I submitted a bug about it in-game, and was pretty much told that they are aware of the situation and are trying to resolve it. I'm confident that I won't be getting my character slot, though.

I haven't been able to purchase character slots for going on four years now. I think once I hit ~30 characters I couldn't purchase any more. I think I only purchased two character slots and that was way back near when the game launched. I can still unlock character slots by leveling to 40, but I just feel it's incredibly unfair that users who don't even pay for the game get the free slot, but some paying customers don't.

I've been playing since the beginning, but purposely never purchased a Lifetime Subscription because I wanted to help fund the game by always paying monthly, yet I can't get a free character? Please fix it before the promo is over.
  • Options
    gillfignofignogillfignofigno Posts: 64 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I did a little poking around in the store and noticed that this may actually just be a simple store UI bug. If you notice, when logging in, you're prompted with a splash 'welcome' screen featuring the current sales. Out of curiosity, I pretended to purchase one the character slots.

screenshot_2015-06-25-04-24-13.jpg

To my surprise, it allowed me to get to the point of making the purchase (I didn't go through with it all the way though because I didn't have enough Zen.) I am unable to purchase a character slot in the normal store, however (as shown below), but it worked when I used the splash screen.

screenshot_2015-06-25-04-25-16.jpg

It seems to me that If the free character slot was in the featured sale slot, and not just in the store, we might all be able to "purchase" it. Maybe if the issue is not fully resolved, this could be a quick fix for the situation. I can't say this is the problem for sure, but this might be of some help.

Never mind, went through with the purchase and it said "This character is unable to purchase this item" or something similar. Still no luck, and it cost me 10 bucks.
  • Options
    guyhumualguyhumual Posts: 2,395 Arc User
    I've bought a lot of character slots back when I was silver, I also have a few open slots that I haven't used at the moment, and seeing as I'm also experiencing this bug I'd just offer those two bits of information to see if that maybe a common element.
  • Options
    I can't claim the slot either. I submitted a bug about it in-game, and was pretty much told that they are aware of the situation and are trying to resolve it. I'm confident that I won't be getting my character slot, though.

I haven't been able to purchase character slots for going on four years now. I think once I hit ~30 characters I couldn't purchase any more. I think I only purchased two character slots and that was way back near when the game launched. I can still unlock character slots by leveling to 40, but I just feel it's incredibly unfair that users who don't even pay for the game get the free slot, but some paying customers don't.

I've been playing since the beginning, but purposely never purchased a Lifetime Subscription because I wanted to help fund the game by always paying monthly, yet I can't get a free character? Please fix it before the promo is over.

Sounds to me like you hit the limit they put on getting new character slots by purchasing them once you hit a certain number of character slots (I believe it's in the 30's - I was well past it when they quietly implemented it a few years ago). It doesn't matter how many slots you've purchased or whether or how you're subscribed or not; it's purely based on the number of character slots you have.
  • Options
    maleb666maleb666 Posts: 364 Arc User
    Seeker, I have friends with over 80 slots, and they where able to get the slot anyway...
    eupmtpu59ppn.jpg
  • Options
    Then I dunno what's causing me to be able to get the slot. Still "cannot purchase" displayed instead of a claim button.
  • Options
    Quoted from crypticbuxom on a now closed thread concerning this subject (directed at a dev):

ABOUT THE PROMO CHARACTER SLOT BUG
    Make the C Store available on the PTS, purchase dozens of character slots until you cannot anymore. If you cannot do this than go on live and make the purchases there. It will stop you from making further character slot purchases. This is a limitation that was set on accounts for all character slot type purchases. It effects all free slots.
  • Options
    draogndraogn Posts: 1,269 Arc User
    I am having this problem as well.
    maleb666 wrote: »
    Seeker, I have friends with over 80 slots, and they where able to get the slot anyway...

The problem doesn't seem to be about the total number of slots owned, but the number of purchased slots someone has. Since you can get a new character as gold for leveling to 40, I'm not sure why they put this limit in place.
  • Options
    hatstorehatstore Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Same problem here.
    I have 13 character slots full for years, I'm pretty sure I bought slots at some point, because I have no level 40s, maybe I got a free slot once a long time ago during a promotion to test out the ATs.
  • Options
    eiledoneiledon Posts: 1,287 Arc User
    I have a sneaking feeling this won't be fixed before the offer expires.

But I would love to be proved wrong.

Call me an pessimistic optimist..
  • Options
    eiledon wrote: »
    I have a sneaking feeling this won't be fixed before the offer expires.

But I would love to be proved wrong.

Call me an pessimistic optimist..

Yeah, I've just kind of resigned myself to the fact that Cryptic's just going to let the issue slide and I'm not going to get any help, resolution, an apology, or even acknowledgement. It's pretty much Cryptic's customer service MO with this kind of thing.
  • Options
    seeker1235 wrote: »
    Yeah, I've just kind of resigned myself to the fact that Cryptic's just going to let the issue slide and I'm not going to get any help, resolution, an apology, or even acknowledgement. It's pretty much Cryptic's customer service MO with this kind of thing.

You sound like I feel. CS closed my ticket with no warning and without the issue being fixed, obviously. I'm going to give them until the end of the month to get it straightened out and if it isn't, I do believe I'll simply walk away from Champions for good this time.

The game has been going for nearly 6 years now and I'm (personally) still waiting for it to get out of beta. I WANT to like the game but it's not just the lack of development and real content*, it's the customer service that is driving me away.

If by some miracle this gets worked out, then I suppose Champions may see more of my time. If it doesn't, my harddrive will have a little extra space for a different game.

* For me, content is missions. Not alerts, which I don't run, MISSIONS. Lockboxes and costume sets mean nothing if there is nothing new to run around and do. I understand that if Cryptic/PW are making money with this current setup, there is no reason to invest more resources to adding content.

Unfortunately, while I am apparently in the minority, they won't get any more money out of me until they actually start creating more missions for me to do. The current 'missions only' leveling path doesn't really hold many options. You pretty much go through the same missions on every character with no variation. And as an altaholic, like I am, it gets old real fast.
  • Options
    draogndraogn Posts: 1,269 Arc User
    The end of the month is coming up, with it the end of this promotion. An update from Cryptic on the status of this issue would be nice.
  • Options
    draogn wrote: »
    The end of the month is coming up, with it the end of this promotion. An update from Cryptic on the status of this issue would be nice.

I wouldn't hold my breath. I doubt they have any intention of fixing it or compensating those who could not benefit from it.
  • Options
    draogn wrote: »

Since the problem hasn't been addressed yet, as far as I'm aware, I doubt they'll even bother at this point. The folks who didn't get the free slot likely make up such a small percentage of the player base that it would probably be a waste of what little resources they have to find the problem let alone get a solution out before the promotion ends.

They seemingly can't say something as simple as "yes, we know there is a problem." Even admitting there *IS* an issue would be a start.

Ah well.

I'll check back from time to time but I'm kinda tired of waiting. If they can't be bothered to fix something as "simple" as awarding a free character slot, an actual empty slot that would allow the creation of a new character, why should I bother caring anymore?
  • Options
    guyhumualguyhumual Posts: 2,395 Arc User
    If we're such a small group couldn't they just manually add a slot onto our accounts?