test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Name was found to be a TOS Violation...now what

demonoid74demonoid74 Posts: 6 Arc User
edited February 2014 in Champions Online Discussion
Ok first off , I have 43 characters , have been a lifetime member since beta . I have NEVER had one single issue with the game , GM's , or violations...

Today I log in with my character , formerly known as Major Cleavage to find out her name has been changed to TOS Violation and I have to rename it...

This character was created years ago literally as a joke late night when we were all talking in ren center . It was never intended to be a "sexy" character , just a funny character with a non offensive name . But it would appear someone , found some obscure person in real life that has chosen Major Cleavage as her persona and they then petitioned my character for whatever reason , more then likely just being a piece of **** .

Now , I would like to continue with this character and the same joke theme since they are just about 40th level now...But I was trying to come up with suggestions with others in zone chat and GM Navi sets to inform me that I could try to change my name to things like Major Melons , but next time I wouldn't just get slapped with a minor name change violation???

What in the hell is wrong with Major Melons? is it some obscure copy written character somewhere? I did state the fact I thought Major Mammaries was a lot dirtier then Cleavage and would not use that...I do not want to get hit with some complete and total ban , considering my long time with this account and all the other money I spend on it when I do play it on and off again...

I would like to have some suggestions , especially from a GM or someone else who can respond and actually let me know what would be ok...
Post edited by demonoid74 on

Comments

• Options
    biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    demonoid74 wrote: »
    Now , I would like to continue with this character and the same joke theme since they are just about 40th level now...But I was trying to come up with suggestions with others in zone chat and GM Navi sets to inform me that I could try to change my name to things like Major Melons , but next time I wouldn't just get slapped with a minor name change violation???

What in the hell is wrong with Major Melons? is it some obscure copy written character somewhere? I did state the fact I thought Major Mammaries was a lot dirtier then Cleavage and would not use that...I do not want to get hit with some complete and total ban , considering my long time with this account and all the other money I spend on it when I do play it on and off again...

I would like to have some suggestions , especially from a GM or someone else who can respond and actually let me know what would be ok...

Huh... that's odd that he would suggest that when you're in the same ballpark of the original name. And I find the original one to be the most "tame" of the other suggestions. Weird. Maybe he was just joking, I dunno.

I really doubt you'll get a permanent ban for something like that, even repeated offenses.

One thing that you might try is reporting your own character, just to get an "okay" from a GM about it, if you think you might be toeing the line. I doubt that would get you an infraction, but don't take my word for it, maybe something to ask Customer Service.
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Captain Gaz Zonga?
    Major Mam Marie?
    Major Houlihan?
    Sargent Chesticle?
    Major Clea V?ge?
    Sargent Teats?
    Major Beewb?
    Since we got wild GM running in CO. Maybe i should start the clone hunting again...
    moustache.gif
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    quasimojo1quasimojo1 Posts: 642 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    "Cleavage" is a problem word? Did Cryptic outsource customer service to the Taliban?
    LTS since 2009. Author of ACT parser module for CO. Founder of Rampagers. Resident curmudgeon.

"Without data, you're just another person with an opinion." -- W. Edwards Deming
  • Options
    nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Chest A'plenty they cant ban hammer because a chest is a box :D
    quasimojo1 wrote: »
    "Cleavage" is a problem word? Did Cryptic outsource customer service to the Taliban?

Legendary.

I mean really how can someone take offense to the slight mention of monkey udders, its how women feed babies /o/

I wonder if I'd get banned for calling a toon Baby Food.
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • Options
    narf#9213 narf Posts: 108 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    The boob slider is set to maximum by default in this game, but they're being prudes about a joke name that's pretty tame. How odd.

Good luck finding a new name. Please keep us abreast of the situation. :biggrin:
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Well, it wasn't a copy of an existing trademarked character - a name search on Google turns up only this thread, and some references to this or that starlet "flashing major cleavage" on one or another talk show or red carpet or whatever.

So, someone was prudish enough to be offended by the word "cleavage"?? Does that mean that anyone with the word "Legs" in their name should be required to change that to the less shocking "Limbs"? Will all female toons be required to wear decent floor-length skirts, rather than shamelessly flaunting their ankles and leg- er, limbs at us? And what of these males walking about without shirts? Why, someone might get the vapors!
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Forsaken-World-Cleavage1.jpg

Think about it PWE sells its fantasy MMO's via the medium of CLEAVAGE! Every bit of art is of some elf or vamp girl with massive boobies.

1565e0f90bd8fc05b3296845ef9194f51390451492.jpg

Major Cleavage's name did not break TOS as Champions Online itself uses the words BREASTS in the sliders and breasts can be seen as a more "overly sexual" word than cleavage.
    Any player be they moderators or not that find the word cleavage naughty must have the mentality of an 11 year old and has no place playing a TEEN RATED game.

*btw I don't have my slider all the way up that was for show and tell :P*
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
  • Options
    jerax1011jerax1011 Posts: 966 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    That is pretty silly of the forced name change, when there have been (and I'm sure are still) many more worse and actually offensive names. Not to mention when the default slider for breasts (that Nepht helpfully pointed out are actually referred to as such in game) are set to max.... maybe Cryptic should reassess the situation.
    EU5doX8.jpg
    @Aleatha1011 in CO | Keeper of the Cheesecake since Nov. 2011| Bunni BOT is on PRIMUS! | Come check out my deviantart page!
  • Options
    spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    jonsills wrote: »
    Well, it wasn't a copy of an existing trademarked character - a name search on Google turns up only this thread, and some references to this or that starlet "flashing major cleavage" on one or another talk show or red carpet or whatever.

So, someone was prudish enough to be offended by the word "cleavage"?? Does that mean that anyone with the word "Legs" in their name should be required to change that to the less shocking "Limbs"? Will all female toons be required to wear decent floor-length skirts, rather than shamelessly flaunting their ankles and leg- er, limbs at us? And what of these males walking about without shirts? Why, someone might get the vapors!

I think my character "Thunder Gams" might be in trouble.... check out those gams! :D NO, checking out gams is illegal >:(

Hey, since breasts is actually used by the game interface, then the OP could just call their character "Major Breasts" :D
  • Options
    skcarkskcark Posts: 715 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Huh... that's odd that he would suggest that when you're in the same ballpark of the original name. And I find the original one to be the most "tame" of the other suggestions. Weird. Maybe he was just joking, I dunno.

I really doubt you'll get a permanent ban for something like that, even repeated offenses.

One thing that you might try is reporting your own character, just to get an "okay" from a GM about it, if you think you might be toeing the line. I doubt that would get you an infraction, but don't take my word for it, maybe something to ask Customer Service.

Aye.. to me, Cleavage isn't a bad word.. besides.. if someone had infact found some obscure person with a persona name of that... what the hell are they even looking at that stuff if they're immature enough to get offended as soon as they see it elsewhere?

when i first saw the name from the OP, Major Cleavage, my first reaction was some Military character with Cleavers o.O there's nothing wrong with the name.. just peoples minds =\
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    skcark wrote: »
    Aye.. to me, Cleavage isn't a bad word.. besides.. if someone had infact found some obscure person with a persona name of that... what the hell are they even looking at that stuff if they're immature enough to get offended as soon as they see it elsewhere?

when i first saw the name from the OP, Major Cleavage, my first reaction was some Military character with Cleavers o.O there's nothing wrong with the name.. just peoples minds =\

The thing is, the person that changed the OP's name to TOS Violation could have changed the name to Major Cleavers, but they had to be a git about it. I'm pretty sure and action like that is in-itself is a TOS Violation.

Its making the player look like they have done something wrong when we can all see they didnt do anything.

And know this, changing the name to TOS Violation was a BEEP move because the same person changed Messiah's name to Holy. He didnt rename Messiah as TOS Violation.
  • Options
    stergasterga Posts: 2,353 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Major Knockers. Claim she's the regional leader and number one sales woman in door accessories.

I have no idea what is wrong with the original character's name. Especially in a T rated game where cleavage is everywhere on major characters.
    YouTube - Steam - Twitter
    [at]riviania Member since Aug 2009
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Hmm. How about Major Violation?
  • Options
    waynegraysonwaynegrayson Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    nepht wrote: »
    The thing is, the person that changed the OP's name to TOS Violation could have changed the name to Major Cleavers, but they had to be a git about it. I'm pretty sure and action like that is in-itself is a TOS Violation.

Its making the player look like they have done something wrong when we can all see they didnt do anything.

And know this, changing the name to TOS Violation was a BEEP move because the same person changed Messiah's name to Holy. He didnt rename Messiah as TOS Violation.

I'm surprised such a benign name has a problem.
    Personally, I'd wait before changing the name.
    See how long they'll let you run around as TOS Violation...
    Seems like a unique name to me!
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Isn't naming character to TOS Violation a violation against TOS?
    moustache.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    flyingfinn wrote: »
    Isn't naming character to TOS Violation a violation against TOS?
    moustache.gif

Ziggy is 99% certain thats gonna cause a time paradox.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Wait the character's name was actually changed to TOS Violation? When it happened to me I got turned to BadName921839139 but I had a free name change to go with it... Did this guy not get the free name change?
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Wait the character's name was actually changed to TOS Violation? When it happened to me I got turned to BadName921839139 but I had a free name change to go with it... Did this guy not get the free name change?

OP didnt mention but reading their post it does look like he or she can change it. That doesn't seem to be the issue here though. Look at the pic I posted the BREAST sliders one, consider how PWE normally draws females then consider the name Major Cleavage. Its either double standards or Hey Listen doesn't know about the breast sliders ( this would inform you how much they know about the game).

Its about a player thats used a name for YEARS whos never rocked the boat in any way getting treated badly for no justifiable reason by an employee of Cryptic/PWE , thats not good PR for Champions anyway you look at it.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    I saw the convo in game where the GM chimed in. The character's name was indeed TOS Violation.

I have no idea how it got to be TOS Violation, though.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Yeah my characters name was actually TOS Violation , I was thinking about keeping it actually lol...

But now that I had logged her out , its Badname 8911765 or something to that extent and cant log her back in till I rename her .

Like I and others have stated , I thought Cleavage was the cleanest and totally non offensive I could have made the character...

And if someone supposedly did find it offensive , or some obscure wrestling female took that name in the 80's and looks nothing like my character , I just can not see how it was a TOS Violation in any form at all...

I am still hoping some form of actual game employee would check this out and give me the reasoning behind this and if nothing can be done about it , if other suggestions would work , or cause me further problems down the road...
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Yeah my characters name was actually TOS Violation , I was thinking about keeping it actually lol...

But now that I had logged her out , its Badname 8911765 or something to that extent and cant log her back in till I rename her .

Like I and others have stated , I thought Cleavage was the cleanest and totally non offensive I could have made the character...

And if someone supposedly did find it offensive , or some obscure wrestling female took that name in the 80's and looks nothing like my character , I just can not see how it was a TOS Violation in any form at all...

I am still hoping some form of actual game employee would check this out and give me the reasoning behind this and if nothing can be done about it , if other suggestions would work , or cause me further problems down the road...

Well good to hear you have the free rename. However, you likely won't get an official response on the forums. Hit up the Customer Service, submit a ticket, and provide some arguments against the action. It's seriously so mild in nature that it's ridiculous that you'd get badnamed.
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    draogndraogn Posts: 1,269 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    The rules are the rules. The naming policy is fairly straightforward. If they were to let your name slide because it was the 'cleanest' then everyone would try to use that as their argument.

Also
    Posting Private Correspondence
    You may not post messages that have been sent or received in private. This includes, but is not limited to:
    PMs received from other users and PWE Staff.
    Correspondence from our Customer Service Department or moderators.
    Discussing disciplinary actions taken against any forum, or game account.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    belwen wrote: »
    Hmm. How about Major Violation?

Major Violator ;) turn it from a female toon (if it is already) to a male. so how cryptic feel about the new form of jokes..
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    draogn wrote: »
    The rules are the rules. The naming policy is fairly straightforward. If they were to let your name slide because it was the 'cleanest' then everyone would try to use that as their argument.

Also

The double standards are the double standards. Saying CRYPTIC and PWE sells ALL THEIR GAMES on female cleavage and Champions has a BREAST slider I reckon its against the rules for female toons NOT to mention their cleavage.

This isnt international law its guidelines for their games. Guidelines they break themselves on an hourly basis. If something is flawed with even the TOS we should help out the devs by pointing the flaws out, thats why the forums are a thing.

They want boobless games they should lead by example then.
  • Options
    edited January 2014

The thing is that the rules are interpreted by humans, and humans can make mistakes or bad judgment calls. I know on the forums that there are sometimes tough calls, even though the rules are clear. Sending an appeal is not unheard of.

I know I don't always make the best decisions, which is why, whenever someone has a problem with something I've done, I urge them to take it up with the guy in charge to review the action. I know I can be wrong, so I'd rather let someone else handle the situation because I don't like to play the "no, I'm right and you're wrong and that's it" card. This is why I asked the guy to send a ticket - the action may have been a bit ham-fisted. The majority here think so, so it's worth exploring.
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2014

Also

Quote:
    Posting Private Correspondence
    You may not post messages that have been sent or received in private. This includes, but is not limited to:
    PMs received from other users and PWE Staff.
    Correspondence from our Customer Service Department or moderators.
    Discussing disciplinary actions taken against any forum, or game account.

And yet again , the name in no way , shape , or form violates any policies they have posted . It is neither vulgar or dirty...Breasts which the game itself plainly uses , and cleavage , are both words in everyday conversations that are not found offensive in most , if not all parts of the world in polite civilized societies .

Further , I am not here to actually talk about the actual disciplinary action...There was no private conversation from or contact by anyone on this subject , nor has any real conversation of said issue been restated here at all . I simply received a mail in game . But enough of that...

This post was simply started to try and figure out what I should do next in renaming the character to something similar , retain the joke name status of the characters entire theme , without stepping on some toes...when there are FAR worse names out there and copied characters for them to be worried about...

I mean I could make it a generic I am a badass and shoot stuff name...but it is so much more fun...to have a funny named character that goes in and just destroys stuff and makes the previously mentioned generic badass heroes look pitiful in comparison! :tongue:

I will definitely have to try and contact costumer service and see what , if any , explanation they offer me...I am not really upset by this , its just like...what the hell? I would like to know why and whats going on...

Just sent in a ticket , so will have to wait and see...
  • Options
    draogndraogn Posts: 1,269 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    The TOS and Eula is an agreement between us and Cryptic laying out what Cryptic feels is appropriate for their games, this ToS and Eula is for the most part the same regardless of which game you go to.

The terms by which they use for marketing is dictated by a different group. While there are certainly double standards, that's how a lot of things are in life.

@demoniod74 It doesn't have to be dirty or vulgar to break the rules.

https://support.perfectworld.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3964/kw/Naming%20policy
  • Options
    jennymachxjennymachx Posts: 3,000 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    The name doesn't violate the naming policy IMO. Sexualized? Yes. Female superheroes are often sexualized anyway so I don't see the problem. Vulgar and obscene according to the policy? Nope. Seems to me that the GM was being uptight and perhaps allowed his conservative views to get in the way doing his job properly. I would at least open a ticket to contest this wrongful name change.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    jennymachx wrote: »
    The name doesn't violate the naming policy IMO. Sexualized? Yes. Female superheroes are often sexualized anyway so I don't see the problem. Vulgar and obscene according to the policy? Nope. Seems to me that the GM was being uptight and perhaps allowed his conservative views to get in the way doing his job properly. I would at least open a ticket to contest this wrongful name change.

I think... there's a term for this.... Wonder Woman syndrome. The Man is trying to hold 'er down.

it seems relevant... <.<
  • Options
    kittykaboomboomkittykaboomboom Posts: 104 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Ok first off , I have 43 characters , have been a lifetime member since beta . I have NEVER had one single issue with the game , GM's , or violations...

Considering the amount I've seen around called Naked......, and who have been half naked (and thats being generous)
    I don't see a problme with Major Cleavage unless she also had no costume. If it was a rock character, it would mean something else.

I have Major Nuisance(force/might), who was going to be called Major Knockers, now I'm glad I didn't.

I made Captain Chat Ban and reported him myself to check.
    Also Private criptic, again reported myself to check.
    I have Cheap Trick, who has a high/low costume and the comment "IF they are staring at my t*ts, they aren't watching my guns." NO problem, she is using a cheap trock to win.
    Smackwell. GM Navi- wasn't joking about the other name, they were warning that he would get a much WORSE punishment if they tried renaming it like that.
    Yes I know, I'm logged in on the wrong acct.
    @cloudsatdawn
    3f929831-d0e0-4b9d-aa2b-28877c351112_zpsgsnq9bpu.jpg
    [font="title-I'm as sane as any.."][/font]Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    How about naming her "Spathic"?

It's a geology term - it means "having good cleavage".
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    The TOS and Eula is an agreement between us and Cryptic laying out what Cryptic feels is appropriate for their games, this ToS and Eula is for the most part the same regardless of which game you go to.

The terms by which they use for marketing is dictated by a different group. While there are certainly double standards, that's how a lot of things are in life.

@demoniod74 It doesn't have to be dirty or vulgar to break the rules.

https://support.perfectworld.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3964/kw/Naming%20policy

Question, just a harmless theoretical one. Are you offended by the name Major Cleavage? Are you offended by the nickname Messiah? Would you change these names?

It feels to me that the game has a rather shall we say conservative new employee and thats never a good idea in a super mmo as we know supers all run about almost bust* naked and think they are gods :D

Power_Girl_0077.jpg

*Pun intended.
  • Options
    lafury001200lafury001200 Posts: 567 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Rumors of the alcalde's death while incarcerated were orchestrated. He escaped justice, and is now the overseer of TOS violations for Cryptic. Do not worry, he's dealt with this type of situation before.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dFuYWIw5A4

Ok I was bored.

*dammit ninjad by Nepht
  • Options
    towershield#4714 towershield Posts: 1,208 Arc User
    edited January 2014

Also

There used to be a few characters named Major Cleavage running around in the game's first year, one of which belonged to me. I had even submitted a ticket to make sure the name was OK to use and got the green light. The only reason I don't have a character by that name anymore is because I deleted her at some point, not because of some prudish swing of the bad name bat.

Take some time to familiarize yourself with the rules you're blindly defending. Unless cleavage became "vulgar, obscene or defamatory" or somehow became "derogatory towards...gender..." overnight, this is quite clearly a case of a misinterpretation of those rules.
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________
  • Options
    ashensnowashensnow Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    This is quite clearly a case of a misinterpretation of the rules.

Agreed.

umm more characters.

'Caine, miss you bud. Fly high.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    My character is in no way naked! lol

She is in full camo pants , combat boots , and is wearing the Golden Age Top , coloured green , which yes it does show some cleavage...and I made her perfectly normal , except for a rather large chest to go with the name etc.

All my other characters are either monsters , or female , and all of them have an average-smaller chest size , aka the breast slider is at around half or less on all of them .

It was just odd to me to get hit with a TOS Violation on it considering I made and leveled her to 35 like 2 years ago...just started using her again this week during the double Q even to do gravi and alerts .
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    My character is in no way naked! lol

She is in full camo pants , combat boots , and is wearing the Golden Age Top , coloured green , which yes it does show some cleavage...and I made her perfectly normal , except for a rather large chest to go with the name etc.

All my other characters are either monsters , or female , and all of them have an average-smaller chest size , aka the breast slider is at around half or less on all of them .

It was just odd to me to get hit with a TOS Violation on it considering I made and leveled her to 35 like 2 years ago...just started using her again this week during the double Q even to do gravi and alerts .

Was the character's name changed or was the costume made the default generic or both?

Cleavage on character costumes isn't supposed to be a deal breaker, quite a few female costume options incorporate cleavage by design.
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________
  • Options
    guyhumualguyhumual Posts: 2,394 Arc User
    edited January 2014

Agreed, I don't think anything more needs to be said on this topic. Perhaps the GM should be reported for abusing or not understanding the rule?
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    To be consistent in this newfound extreme puritanism, I think all of the dozens of cleavage-enhancing costumes that the Tailor allows for should be replaced with variations of the burka.

Also, does the GM understand that the word cleavage has other definitions? What if the toon was the wielder of a large sword?
    LTS since 2009. Author of ACT parser module for CO. Founder of Rampagers. Resident curmudgeon.

"Without data, you're just another person with an opinion." -- W. Edwards Deming
  • Options
    klittyklitty Posts: 1,545 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    HA HA! This is rich.

GMs are busy chasing beewbs in names while people still get chat-banned. Resources well spent, my friends, resources well spent 9__9

(Because people are still getting chat banned, right? I need to get back into the game after my head feels better).

=^ _ ^= Kitty Lives!
  • Options
    warcanchwarcanch Posts: 1,081 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I have a parody character based on an old Nick Fury associate, Countess Valentina Allegra de la Fontaine. I swapped the various portions of her name for various male erectile dysfunction drugs.

Up until now, she has survived intact. But, I think I'll need to log in and check if she got "violated". :frown:

-=-=-=-=-=-(CO in-game handle: @WarCan )-=-=-=-=-=-
    "Okay, you're DEAD, what do you do NEXT?"
  • Options
    skylygerskylyger Posts: 227 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    It matters not how long it flew under the radar OP, and despite the largely puncentric nature of the COverse, the fact is its very clear in the TOS that any name which may be construed as vulgar or sexual in nature is against the rules.

Thus any name along the idea your considering will almost certainly always be vulnerable because any one who complains about it will have a legitimate complaint.

While it may seem simply amusing to you, to some out there a name like the one you mention can be just as offensive as a name involving **** or child molestation.
  • Options
    edited January 2014

Also, does the GM understand that the word cleavage has other definitions? What if the toon was the wielder of a large sword?

Then you have sworded cleavage? :p
  • Options
    skylygerskylyger Posts: 227 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    To give an example I myself had occur once over the years. I made a character once called the Drapist. It was a dark dark on CoX. The bio, the concept all made it clear to any who bothered to look into it that the name was to play off the idea of covering the enemies like pulling curtains of darkness over them.

The character existed for more then a year and then one day genericed and givena tos warning point.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    skylyger wrote: »
    It matters not how long it flew under the radar OP, and despite the largely puncentric nature of the COverse, the fact is its very clear in the TOS that any name which may be construed as vulgar or sexual in nature is against the rules.

Thus any name along the idea your considering will almost certainly always be vulnerable because any one who complains about it will have a legitimate complaint.

While it may seem simply amusing to you, to some out there a name like the one you mention can be just as offensive as a name involving **** or child molestation.

You didn't really just try to associate the word "cleavage" with child molestation? Total credibility fail.

1.) There's nothing inherently vulgar or sexual in the word "cleavage". You know there's a power called Cleave. Do you know what the act of Cleaving could be called? "Cleavage".

2.) Do we really need to point out the utter hypocrisy of banning a word like "cleavage" in a game which utilizes and promotes the concept of female's cleavage (yes, I'm referring to breasts this time) so blatantly? Is it possible to walk around Millenium City and not see cleavage, let alone PWE's marketing materials?

3.) The ESRB rating for Champions Online is "T", and it is expected to include "Blood, Fantasy Violence, Suggestive Themes". How can any reasonable person think use of the word Cleavage in a character name violates this standard?

The defense rests.

• Options
    edited January 2014

And people like those, shouldn't be playing video games. They should be out in the field, building barns.
    Ladies! Hide your ankles!. (hmmm, i bet those people find Avenging Ankle very offensive...)
    moustache.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2014

You'd be absolutely right if every single "Major Cleavage" character was found to be in violation of the rules. At least one that I'm aware of was found to not be a violation by a GM after having reviewed a ticket asking if it was indeed a violation. What happened between then (roughly four years ago) and now that caused the name "Major Cleavage" to start getting classified as a violation? There is a discrepancy and the OP has every right to ask questions about the renaming of his character, especially given how said character was renamed once to "TOS Violation" and then again to the "Badname" format.

Additionally, it's just straight up ridiculous to alow characters to have cleavage, even official characters like Sapphire, but get jumpy when it shows up as part of their name. Slippery slope time: how about we just remove any and all visual options that involve cleavage and nip the entire problem in the bud. That way the only way we can use the word will really only be in regards to cleaving. Sound good, Cryptic? That'll give the GMs less to worry about, eh?
  • Options
    jennymachxjennymachx Posts: 3,000 Arc User
    edited January 2014

We have a name for those people out there. They're called morons.
This discussion has been closed.