What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

FC.31.20130824.12 PTS Update

Comments

• Options
    mensarmensar Posts: 294 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Can a dev please confirm whether those numbers are intentional? I don't have Rank 9s to check the numbers myself, but I'll take Bacon's word for it.

Compared to Rank 7 mods, Rank 9 mods on Live give only +4 stats... which has always been disappointingly low. But I was expecting something like a +10 difference, more in line with the rest of the mods' (admittedly uneven) rank progression. An overall stat difference of 60 for a full set seems like a reasonable gap.

A difference of +37 per mod sounds absurdly high, creating an overall gap of 222 stat points between Rank 7 in Heroic/Legion and Rank 9 in Justice. In terms of in-game currency, that's going to drive a much larger performance wedge between middle-class players and super-wealthy players.

If part of the purpose behind the legacy device and dodge nerfs is to limit the power of players who can afford the shiniest shinies, these new stat mod numbers seem counterintuitive.

Fluidity currently does not provide any damage resistance when blocking, removing even the base 200% resistance from a regular block. Is that intentional?

Oddly, getting the shiniest of shinies is kind of the point. Therefore there SHOULD be a large boost for getting the best of the best. Especially considering the amount of time and effort it takes to create a single R9, much less a full set.

This message brought to you by the superhero:
    Bacon Overlord

All available action figures, check.
    Hit the global cap, check.
    All lore and event perks done, check.
    All 1K mob perks done, check.
    All nemesis mob perks done, check.
    Break 20,000 perk points, check.
    Complete all 5K perk points, stay tuned!

Come see me on steam (be friends, drink fine wines, clink glasses and KILL STUFF ONLINE!)
  • Options
    mensarmensar Posts: 294 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Well, bottom line here since we have the naysayers on one side and the fanboys on the other side (I'm not saying which is which.. I'm not judging)...

If we don't slow Cryptic's roll on these nerfs, they will run rampant. So, even if you believe a change is good, I'd recommend doing a little gut check when you want to troll the folks that believe that it's bad and listen to what they have to say.

You never know which of YOUR powers will be next on the chopping block.

And, for those that can't see the obvious: This is just the beginning.

This message brought to you by the superhero:
    Bacon Overlord

All available action figures, check.
    Hit the global cap, check.
    All lore and event perks done, check.
    All 1K mob perks done, check.
    All nemesis mob perks done, check.
    Break 20,000 perk points, check.
    Complete all 5K perk points, stay tuned!

Come see me on steam (be friends, drink fine wines, clink glasses and KILL STUFF ONLINE!)
  • Options
    carrionbaggagecarrionbaggage Posts: 721 Community Moderator
    edited October 2013
    mensar wrote: »
    Oddly, getting the shiniest of shinies is kind of the point. Therefore there SHOULD be a large boost for getting the best of the best. Especially considering the amount of time and effort it takes to create a single R9, much less a full set.

I definitely respect the effort it takes to get the best of the best, and I do agree that there should be a noticeable benefit for doing so. I guess it's a matter of degrees: How much better should someone with an infinite bank account be compared to a casual player?

In my opinion, the way Legion gear (expensive) outperformed Heroic gear (affordable) was a reasonable difference. The way that modded Justice gear (new expensive) outperforms Heroic gear (affordable) seems like too significant of a gap with the new PTS mechanics. Though the price-to-performance ratio would depend on how the devs plan to implement Justice gear, and how a new gear set would impact the price and availability of Legion gear.

I think my original post focused too much on mod ranks, and not enough on the Justice gear mod-boost. Sorry if that was confusing.
  • Options
    tditstdits Posts: 666 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    joybuzzerx wrote: »
    There's an energy unlock for when you attempt to repel. So why have the repel?

Because not all of the Force attacks knock, probably.

WARNING: Not An Actual Internet Reviewer

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    joybuzzerxjoybuzzerx Posts: 882 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I definitely respect the effort it takes to get the best of the best, and I do agree that there should be a noticeable benefit for doing so. I guess it's a matter of degrees: How much better should someone with an infinite bank account be compared to a casual player?

In my opinion, the way Legion gear (expensive) outperformed Heroic gear (affordable) was a reasonable difference. The way that modded Justice gear (new expensive) outperforms Heroic gear (affordable) seems like too significant of a gap with the new PTS mechanics. Though the price-to-performance ratio would depend on how the devs plan to implement Justice gear, and how a new gear set would impact the price and availability of Legion gear.

I think my original post focused too much on mod ranks, and not enough on the Justice gear mod-boost. Sorry if that was confusing.

If the Justice Gear is Questionite bought, I think the difference won't be that bad. We can then decide to work towards it or buy it outright. For those with free zen stipends, they can also convert to Questionite to speed it up.

Lockboxes...:/

Not sure I think R9 mods should do better in Justice Gear than any other gear, but a more noticable difference between R7 and R9 I do agree with. But I was only thinking R7 equals 62...R8 = 64...R9 = 66...which is terrible. I was thinking more R8 = 67/R9 = 72.

Plus 5 over plus 2.
  • Options
    monsterdaddymonsterdaddy Posts: 774 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Hey guys, before anyone else gets jealous of R9 mods adding +99 stats, note that all ranks were buffed. An R7 gives 92 in Justice Gear. And cores are buffed up similarly.

What does this mean? Legion Gear is worthless. I've sold all my extras I had planned for new toons.

And don't fool yourselves, Justice Gear will be in lockboxes. Bait and switch online style so welcome to CO = Cows Online for the milking.
  • Options
    monaahirumonaahiru Posts: 3,073 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Hey guys, before anyone else gets jealous of R9 mods adding +99 stats, note that all ranks were buffed. An R7 gives 92 in Justice Gear. And cores are buffed up similarly.

What does this mean? Legion Gear is worthless. I've sold all my extras I had planned for new toons.

And don't fool yourselves, Justice Gear will be in lockboxes. Bait and switch online style so welcome to CO = Cows Online for the milking.

Feel so bad for someone who got Legion Gears from [Champions Online 4th Anniversary Lockbox]. :frown:
  • Options
    selpheaselphea Posts: 1,229 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    On the bright side Legion gear might make it into the Q store as a Q sink, like R2 vehicle weps...
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    monaahiru wrote: »
    Feel so bad for someone who got Legion Gears from [Champions Online 4th Anniversary Lockbox]. :frown:

I feel bad for anyone with Legion Gear period.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    So on test...went EGO/DEX/CON with LR.

39.something% Crit Chance

+124 to DEX (with mods) added just under 4% Crit Chance.

Yes, this is with Crit Belt and Legion Crit Gloves with 2 LGs.

Also, 2 points in the Ego Tree's Secondary SS increase crit chance spec.
  • Options
    secksegaisecksegai Posts: 1,354 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I feel bad for anyone with Legion Gear period.

The irony is, that's almost all (if not all) of us, yet there are folks who have no issue.

As a min maxer that still manages to spend just about as much time on ATs, some of the logic here seems... "lacking".

Freedom - undesired stat because it hasn't appeared to have worked since alert went live.
    Growth - undesired stat because it offers no mitigation and not much over 44 con worth of hp,
    Defense - undesired stat because of its lack of impact, a little extra defense barely adds any mitigation

Elusive-Agility - most desired because its impact is so much more blatant. Something that's been the case since On-Alert was released.

Offense - additive damage, usually well into DR having minimal impact

Precision - On-Alert allowed decent crit chance for everyone thanks to these. Not every setup can invest into dex heavily, particularly ATs whose supers are predefined. While that itself doesn't prevent the adding of dex, when you have multiple stats to balance aside from your superstats, critical strike became a welcome addition. Another factor has been that critical chance is a multiplicative boost, whereas anything else short of role (afaik) is additive.

Piercing - crit sev. Spec tree choices dictate crit sev, and its no surprise that str, dex and ego are more popular than any other trees for that reason. For those who can't or choose not to utilize those trees (like ATs) this is often your only source of boosting sev.

Growth - a minor stat boost can't compete with the potential of crit strike or bonus healing.

Healing - bonus healing is great, but freeforms in general are very likely to be self-sufficient. I wouldn't bother with these outside of a legion since the crit chance simply goes farther in both damage and critical heals, something I came to realize in running both a mind and rad to 40.

Efficiency - more of a niche item, to help compensate for expensive maintains/toggles. Otherwise, it only makes sense to invest in cd redux more.

Utility - a nice blend of the two extremes, I have several of these in legion form because they were at least half the cost of speed. Convenient and slightly more versatile than efficiency or speed.

Speed - the most popular utility. Before on-alert, we needed to stat heavy int to get any cost/cd redux. Speed not only supplements int setups, but allows those that cannot (ie most ATs) a huge bonus to cd redux. Sometimes I think people forget that active defenses once could take as long as a minute and a half to recharge.

Now, perhaps I'm biased, but it's pretty clear why certain stats are in more demand than others. If we're looking to diversify equipment - you'd need to address their weaknesses far more than the few that stand out.

If you nerf dodge/avoid to near uselessness as gear goes, the players that stay will simply gravitate towards defense since mitigation goes farther than a minor health increase, and CC protection will continue to hold no value until people actually can see it working.

If you nerf crit chance/sev, its the ATs who get punished most severely as their options are already limited and rely on equipment bonuses to help fill in gaps as needed. It also won't suddenly make any of the current options any more appealing short of making critical strike useless. Making something useless doesn't diversify, it simply forces players to choose the best of what's left.
  • Options
    quasimojo1quasimojo1 Posts: 642 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Quick question about Lightning Reflexes: Do Superstats no longer have any influence on effectiveness? Thanks, I skimmed the thread but did not see this mentioned.
    LTS since 2009. Author of ACT parser module for CO. Founder of Rampagers. Resident curmudgeon.

"Without data, you're just another person with an opinion." -- W. Edwards Deming
  • Options
    flamingbunnymanflamingbunnyman Posts: 2,035 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I haven't got the latest patch on test yet, but I'm guessing that the Dodge now functions like the Avoid always has; a fixed base amount, plus a rating that scales with superstats.
    edited October 2013
    quasimojo1 wrote: »
    Quick question about Lightning Reflexes: Do Superstats no longer have any influence on effectiveness? Thanks, I skimmed the thread but did not see this mentioned.

The Avoidance Rating bonus and DoT resistance still scale with superstats. But the Dodge bonus is now a flat bonus, unaffected by superstats.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    When I first heard the devs were tweaking crit chance, I expected them to hamstring Nimble Mind's scaling to stop it being "the new Imbue". That seems much more abusable than the diminishing returns curve.

On a related note, the amped-up stat bonuses from Justice gear make it much easier to reach 100% crit chance with Nimble Mind.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    When I first heard the devs were tweaking crit chance, I expected them to hamstring Nimble Mind's scaling to stop it being "the new Imbue". That seems much more abusable than the diminishing returns curve.

On a related note, the amped-up stat bonuses from Justice gear make it much easier to reach 100% crit chance with Nimble Mind.

Well that would be limited to how much cooldown reduction you can get.

As for crit chance, with 35% Crit chance, things that trigger off crit still seem to do okay. Stacking forms and Killer Instinct aren't that ruined. Damage you will notice the hit too as you see less crits pop up.
  • Options
    theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,066 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    This time I'd like to suggest fixing a power that's broken by its COMPLETE INEFFECTIVENESS! That power being...

EGO PLACATE(Showing NEW changes only, rest of the power works the same)

-Recharge: 15secs up from No Recharge
    -100% Threat Wipe to Target

Advantage: Slight Of Mind(even the name of this Adv fits this power better)

-50% Change to wipe all threat from yourself
    -Places you in Stealth for 3 seconds.

*Notes: These changes are added on to what is already in the power now. You will now have 3 Ranks and 2 Advantages to this power all of which cost 2pts. The recharge was added to this power so that the stealth doesn't become overly abusive in PvP. Gave it the same recharge time that EM allows this Advantage to be used at now.

This one really is a no brainer, this change should have been made LONG ago. Ego Placate currently has NO effective use whatsoever, this simple change would make it MORE useful in PvE AND give it an actual use in PvP as well.

Right lets look at a few things:

Ego Placate is a CROWD CONTROL POWER at it's core level.

Ego Placate is a "Placate" which works on the following: Henchmen, Villains, Enforcers and Master Villains.

Ego Placate has an advantage "SVENGALI'S GUILE" which removes 10% of target's defenses, so your attacks (and everyone else's) deals a real 10% more damage.

Svengali's Guile works on EVERYTHING, including players and Cosmics, so when you apply Ego Placate with Svengali's Guile to a target what happens?

Gravitar + Ego Placate (+SG advantage) = 10% damage reduction (from CC effects not working on Anything over Super Villain) 10% defense penetration (from Svengali's Guile)

Adding a % chance to place in stealth is a flat out bad idea for this power. Why? Because it works fine as it is.

Crowd Control in CO is VERY limited in terms of what it can affect. Ego Placate is an example of this.

It has plenty of use in PvP/E if you use it correctly.

For example: Go and run PSS INT with Detect Vulnerability and Concentration or Manipulator form and grab something fairly damaging which deals crushing damage and then go and grab Demolish + Advantage Below The Belt. Apply Ego Placate + SG Advantage + Demolish + 8 stacks of your chosen form and hit target with a crushing damage (purely crushing damage because of Demolish, you can exclude demolish and still get good results) and see if Ego Placate's affect is not "effective".

In it's current form it is a spammable debuff which allows you to consistently increase the DPS of your team on a target (like a boss) without slowing your DPS too much, the advantage can always be re-applied instantly.

Such a proposed change would only serve to make this power useless. Anyway, a change to a CROWD CONTROL power would cause me to ask for a CROWD CONTROL review, which we all know would be a messy area to delve into.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    gradii wrote: »
    yes, but the 35% you are getting is with 2 gambler gems in legion gear.... NOT EVERYONE HAS THAT.

I know that! Why do you keep bringing that up? The point of the game is still to build up your character. Is some player limited in building up their characters?

But because you keep saying that...with newly transfered to PST EGO/CON/INT spec, 2 Gamblers...39% Crit Chance. I took one out...35.8% Crit Chance. And Heroic Gear, last I knew, could take 1 Gambler.
  • Options
    bwdaresbwdares Posts: 1,517 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    the point was, until you build to that point, before you have heroic/legion gear, you may as well be screwed for crit chance.

So? Of course you are screwed, if you have lower gear you should not be as effective. It is like that in every game.

I am in support of all these changes now. I have spent hundreds of dollars on keys to get lock boxes so i could get Legion gear and mods for my toons and I have no problem anymore with what they want. The new Justice gears seems really good to me and I welcome them.
    #Mechanon!(completed) #New Zones! #Foundry!
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    the point was, until you build to that point, before you have heroic/legion gear, you may as well be screwed for crit chance.

So, you mean like I already was as I leveled up before any PTS change? Also, you can grab a 1 slot gear, put a LG in it, and remove it as you get better gear.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    what's an LG? :rolleyes:

Gambler's Lucky Gem. :p
  • Options
    bwdaresbwdares Posts: 1,517 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    this game never should have had gear in the first place. .

Now your just getting ridiculous.
    #Mechanon!(completed) #New Zones! #Foundry!
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Well that would be limited to how much cooldown reduction you can get.

That's a good point. I realize that balance decisions are probably made around the general population, rather than a niche group of power-builders. I guess I was hoping that the new changes would tone down some of the super-powerful synergies, rather than exacerbate them. For example:

x52Xl0U.jpg

The above numbers are achieved without any glitches or exploits; just the working-as-intended scaling for Nimble Mind and recharge reduction, and Justice gear's mod boosts. It can be achieved with multiple superstat combinations, and any passive.

Even if only a handful of players build for it, 100% crit half the time seems worthy of re-balancing... not unlike a certain cologne.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    soooo... nemesis gear becomes useless even more?

Not at all. I leveled up without a single Gambler's slotted in gear and no crit gear, just fine (I use the Heirloom +XP Gear I have and whatever random Secondary gear that drops).

Leveled just fine on all of my characters. I don't even worry about what my crit rate is until I'm level 40, then I work on the gear (most of the time just sticking with heroic...so far only my main...though I do have another I want to get it on...has Legion Gear).
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    no. it makes more thematic sense to go gearless. we should have had a spec tree for stats from the start, where choices you make can buff your stats. not every superhero is batman.

Actually, in this case, I think it's your own imagination not willing to suspend one thing...the gear...is just a stat. It's not really on your character. It's a way to give players a crafting skill and bump up stats.

It's basically what you just asked for, only instead of a spec tree, it's called gear.

They could've just as easily, said "Collect these power points...they come in ranks of 1-9, and you place them in these various Power Themes you pick up through the game."

Seriously, who really considers any of the gear an IC thing from any sort of RP standpoint?
  • Options
    cptmillenniumcptmillennium Posts: 449 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    yes, but the 35% you are getting is with 2 gambler gems in legion gear.... NOT EVERYONE HAS THAT.

Right now on test you can still get about 28% with 1 gambler's gem in a Heroic Precision and no significant DEX. The second Gambler's only bumps you to around 33%, so I'm not sure it's even worth it.
    edited October 2013
    Just a R7. I'd have to double check the numbers but it's right around there I think.
    edited October 2013
    Feedback...

Lightning Reflexes says my Dodge/Avoidance scales with Super Stats. But it doesn't. It's a static 30/40/50%.

My guess is this is the same with all Dodge Passives. Do we really want to go that route? "Oh hey! Every passive except Passive's with Dodge, goes up in effectiveness as you raise your stats...but yeah...not those ones."
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    I guess you don't use form of the tempest often.

I have! Still didn't worry. I was in leveling up mode. Seriously, haven't found this game so hard that I had to worry about it, not to mention, when I use FotT, I tended to Superstat DEX. Because, you know, it scales with DEX.
  • Options
    ayonachanayonachan Posts: 557 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Critical Strike

Live Critical Strike:
    "Base" critical chance is 0 BUT because you MUST have 10 dex it turns into 0.13%
    47 Critical Strike grants 3.9%
    95 Critical Strike grants 11.2%
    103 Critical Strike grants 12.7%
    198 Critical Strike grants 27%
    245 Critical Strike grants 32.2%

PTS Critical Strike1:
    "Base" critical chance is 0 BUT because you MUST have 10 dex it turns into 3.8%
    47 Critical Strike grants 13.4%
    95 Critical Strike grants 19%
    103 Critical Strike grants 19.9%
    198 Critical Strike grants 26.4%
    302 Critical Strike grants 30.8%

Dexterity

Live|Dexterity|PTS1
    0.13% 5 2.2%
    4.6% 63 14.1%
    13.8% 120 20.5%
    24.8% 191 25.5%
    31.6% 249 28.4%
    38% 329 31.4%
    43.8% 461 34.9%

Dexterity+Critical Strike Scaling
    Live|Dexterity+CritStrike|PTS1
    34% 72+204 29.5%
    38.5% 134+204 31.7%
    43.5% 249+204 34.7%
    46.2% 461+103 36.8%
    47.7% 461+204 38.2%
  • Options
    kaiserin#0958 kaiserin Posts: 3,094 Cryptic Developer
    edited October 2013
    I have no issue with the new gear as it's to be expected in MMO's to always have a steady pace of new gear. It has been about a year since Legion was introduced, so I would say it's about time.

Furthermore, Legion will not become useless any more than Heroic gear is useless now. Your success in the game is not completely hinged on the acquisition of the newest gear. It exists as a carrot for players wanting that extra bit of potency.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    LR -> STR/EGO/CON -> Guardian/Vindicator/Vindicator Mastery (more damage than going with Strength Mastery) seemed to do pretty good damage wise...hadn't checked out the survival but I was at 68% Dodge w/ 32% Crit (not including spec tree specific attack crits), with Defense giving me 71% Damage Resist.

Had about 100/101 Crit Severity. Modded in all CON mods and 1 EGO.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    kaizerin wrote: »
    I have no issue with the new gear as it's to be expected in MMO's to always have a steady pace of new gear. It has been about a year since Legion was introduced, so I would say it's about time.

Furthermore, Legion will not become useless any more than Heroic gear is useless now. Your success in the game is not completely hinged on the acquisition of the newest gear. It exists as a carrot for players wanting that extra bit of potency.

I agree. The problem is, one tends to earn gear in game, not random (extremely low chance at that) pay money to open boxes. And yes, I get it, in other MMOs, the chance to drop may be random as well, but you can run it multiple times in a day if you want with better odds, than the length of time it takes to acquire enough questionite to convert and then purchase a key.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    kaizerin wrote: »

Heroic gear is still useful because, even though Legion gear is superior, the difference is relatively minor. An extra 5-10% crit rate or 15% dodge is a nice bonus, but it's not miles above Heroic's baseline.

Justice gear's difference versus Legion gear is substantial. With Rank 7 mods in full sets of both, Justice gear gives you an extra 255 stats and 147 Offense (which is useful with the new Offense calculation). Justice gear's lower base bonuses are easily offset by its buff to core mod values. Its set bonuses also widen the performance gap between someone who bought the full set, versus someone who can only afford one piece.

I agree that gear creep is standard-issue in mmo's. But Justice gear, in its current state, would create too large of a gap (in my opinion) between those who have it and those who don't. And that's going to make future content (and future gear creep) more difficult to balance for the population as a whole.

I wouldn't mind a step up. This is a whole staircase.
  • Options
    tditstdits Posts: 666 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    They should probably remove the mod boost to justice gear, buff mods in general, and then (maybe) boost the base stats on the justice gear depending on how good the set bonus is.

WARNING: Not An Actual Internet Reviewer

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    kaiserin#0958 kaiserin Posts: 3,094 Cryptic Developer
    edited October 2013
    I agree. The problem is, one tends to earn gear in game, not random (extremely low chance at that) pay money to open boxes. And yes, I get it, in other MMOs, the chance to drop may be random as well, but you can run it multiple times in a day if you want with better odds, than the length of time it takes to acquire enough questionite to convert and then purchase a key.

One of the other Superhero MMO's has a lockout system. You can only run a dungeon that drops top end gear once a week for a chance at gear drops/tokens to buy gear. However, for a fee you can purchase reset tokens to run the dungeon again.

Also, I sincerely doubt justice gear's extra stats are working as intended.