test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

City of Titans is (AKA project Phoenix) is on kickstarter. what do you think?

sigmaseven0sigmaseven0 Posts: 714 Arc User
edited October 2013 in Off Topic
I'm intrigued by the idea and impressed that the ex COX fans have made it this far but making a MMO is a "massive" undertaking.

I'm not sure what to think about this.

Thoughts?

PVP is starving without rewards

1. Please give us Daily PVP missions that reward Questionite.
2. Please give us an exchange rate between Acclaim and Recognition so that PVP has access to all "On Alert" PVE rewards.
Post edited by sigmaseven0 on

Comments

• kenpojujitsu3kenpojujitsu3 Posts: 1,320 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I think I was moderately interested until I saw that it planned to use a subscription model with no LTS type tier available at all for backers. That's just not for me so, lost interest. Also, the planned 2015 launch is rather soon-ish.
    Freeform Builds Directory (Last updated: 04/23/2016)
    Serving since September, 2009 / 65 Characters, 63 Level 40's
  • canadascottcanadascott Posts: 1,257 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    My memories of CoX are more mixed than many people here, and I'm really not interested in going back, however more choice and more options is always good. This crew seems to have the passion to pull it off, but whether they have the talent... well, I'm not convinced yet. When I look at the team they've put forward, I don't see the experience levels necessary to pull off a project of this scope, either from a programming, production, or art standpoint. If you're trying to sell me on a project, and your sales pitch includes "we have the leader of the Camerilla aboard", forgive me, but that does seem like slim pickings. I'm not convinced it's a transferable skillset for the job.

Their writing team does look solid though. Perhaps the updates will melt some of my skepticism.

Talented amateurs and fans have done some amazing things in this industry, and I wish them luck; it would be wonderful for this project to succeed. But I really wish they showed enough gameplay to put forward their case more effectively. "Hi, we're really passionate CoX fans, give us money" isn't enough for me.
    /CanadaBanner4.jpg
  • jennymachxjennymachx Posts: 3,000 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    If you think making a MMO is a "massive" undertaking, how about the upkeep to make sure that the servers stay up? Can they ensure that they will get enough constant revenue for that? Mind you, this isn't a server rental with a 5-20 max player limit that is very affordable, this supposedly is a MMO so I would expect the cost of keeping such a heavy duty server up to be a lot more expensive.

That's why I'm skeptical about the project being successful. It's one thing to use kickstarter to successfully fund a single-player game like the recent Shadowrun one, it's something else entirely when it comes to a MMO type game.
  • rianfrostrianfrost Posts: 578 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I am keeping my expectations low, its a big undertaking, but ill donate out of community solidarity. Really wish this were an offline game with paid dlc packs and optional online play, like fable. so long as its an mmo, the server goes down, you dont have a game anymore. dont like that.
  • kenpojujitsu3kenpojujitsu3 Posts: 1,320 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    jennymachx wrote: »
    It's one thing to use kickstarter to successfully fund a single-player game like the recent Shadowrun one...

...which I've enjoyed immensely. Back to topic, Thundrax and Jenny have fleshed out some of my other concerns were I to get beyond the whole subscription problem.
    Freeform Builds Directory (Last updated: 04/23/2016)
    Serving since September, 2009 / 65 Characters, 63 Level 40's
  • kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I wish them luck, but as Jenny's stated, the odds of staying up and running are stacked against them--that is, if their Kickstarter even succeeds at all.
  • zazelbyzazelby Posts: 48 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    rianfrost wrote: »
    I am keeping my expectations low, its a big undertaking, but ill donate out of community solidarity. Really wish this were an offline game with paid dlc packs and optional online play, like fable. so long as its an mmo, the server goes down, you dont have a game anymore. dont like that.

They have said in the past that making sure the game can still run as a single-player adventure should the servers ever go down is one of their design goals. (And, as I read it, the money they're asking for is almost entirely for software tools. Nobody's getting paid for this at this stage of the game)

I actually kinda like the way they're going to handle subscriptions, assuming I'm reading it right. You have to pay to download/install the client, and then the subscription will basically just pay for a stipend to the cash shop (where you get more cash shop points per month for subscribing than you would have for giving the money directly to the cash shop), and little else. If/when your subscription runs out, you lose the stipend. That's it. You don't otherwise lose access to anything you had while you were subscribed. It's basically a F2P game where you can choose to make the cash shop cheaper.

It's really, really ambitious, and I hope it works out. I like Champions well enough, but it doesn't scratch all the CoH itches, particularly the Villain itch. Or, for that matter, the Use Electricity For Darmn Near Anything, Not Just Shooting Stuff itch. And definitely not the Runs At Full Speed On A Mac Laptop itch. (Right now i have the graphics settings turned down so low that CO looks like a SNES game, and the framerate is still painful when things get hectic)

In fact, that's my biggest qualm, the fact that it looks like there won't be a trial mode, so I won't be able to make sure I have enough HD space to install it or enough memory to run it before I buy it.

Still, even if all goes according to plan, there's years to go before even the beta is released, so there's time to sit back and see how it'll all work out. Maybe I'll even have a new computer by then.

"It is unthinkable. But such is the nature of villainy, don't you think? To do the unthinkable, to challenge the impossible, to conquer all before you and make destiny your own." - Ghost Widow

And that's why I like villains.
  • gfnotaku1gfnotaku1 Posts: 172 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    What about Shroud of the Avatar? IIRC, they've already hit their 2.5 million dollar mark and it was a kickstarter for a successor to the Ultima games. Never doubt the dedication of fans, man. And from the explanations I'm seeing.. it's basically the Superhero version of Shroud. Offline and Online mode with a "membership" for arbitrary bonuses.

Also, this might seem a bit optimistic but how do you guys know they don't have some secret weapon? I remember a few people talking about directly ripping the coding and resources from the game a while back. The CoT guys might be tweaking it for bugs, updating polygons and models... what we see might be a game that looks, feels, and acts like a MUCH improved CoH but isn't CoH because of IP issues.
    This post is brought to you by:
    Villain-Mart, the only shopping franchise that caters to that diabolic need. This week at Villain-Mart, save 2 dollars on smoke machines when you shop with your CrimeCard and get buy-one-get-one-free on henchmen and scientists. Villain-Mart! You might be criminal, but our prices aren't!
    edited October 2013
    Problem with that is, the coding was the property of Cryptic. It was the first iteration of the Cryptic engine. To legally use that, they'd need to pay a license.
  • cptmillenniumcptmillennium Posts: 449 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I enjoyed CoH, but after the Freeform system here I'm not interested in going back to it.
    I think Kickstarter or no, I would give huge odds against this thing ever seeing the light of day. The MMO industry is in a period of consolidation, the barriers to entry are larger than ever. Marc Jacobs, the founder of Mythic Entertainment, with a proven track record of MMO development required $2M in Kickstarter funding for his next MMO project. You really think some hobbyist CoH fans, who've supposedly been working on this for a year (but having nothing significant to show), are going to deliver anything worthwhile for $300K?
    LTS since 2009. Author of ACT parser module for CO. Founder of Rampagers. Resident curmudgeon.

"Without data, you're just another person with an opinion." -- W. Edwards Deming
  • supersharkssupersharks Posts: 103 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Honestly I think they're asking for too little money for an MMO type game.

I donated out of loyalty to my old beloved game but we'll see how it goes.
  • thatcursedwolfthatcursedwolf Posts: 484 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Backing CoT is cheaper than booking a flight to South Korea to hand deliver a mask, cut out of their mission statement of bringing fun to the world, to their HQ.
    This is my Risian Corvette. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
  • biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Honestly I think they're asking for too little money for an MMO type game.

I donated out of loyalty to my old beloved game but we'll see how it goes.

They're going to have to go way above and beyond what they're asking for. If they simply meet their goal, they have enough money to buy all the software and cover all their setup costs, but then they have no money to pay any of their staff.

It smells to me like a project that'll start off very ambitiously, and lose steam along the way, ending up with a product that's held together with tape and bubble gum, with only a fraction of the features they wanted.

If there's no incentive to keep workers working, other than "we'll have our own home now," I expect real life to get in the way, a lot.

Sounds like a big ol' pipe dream. Hope they do well, but damn. I don't see it happening.
    biffsig.jpg
  • championshewolfchampionshewolf Posts: 4,375 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Both Golden Girl (of Heroes and Villains) and Titan Network have been operating on delusional dream that this is some how going to be an easy undertaking and they will "avenge" (seriously guys, get over it) CoH closure as if a MMO closing isn't inevitable.

The fact they have no engine, I see a lack of talent, and so far hope and whispers, and set a low goal of a budget, they must be aiming at the very bottom of the barrel as far as development goals go, which most likely means, if the game even launches, by all standards will probably look worse than City of Heroes.

What's bloody hilarious, these people don't even realize why they miss City of Heroes. It wasn't the game, because anyone in their right mind would have realized City of Heroes was average at best, compared to other MMOs. It was the community, which for its genre was actually pretty decent, well it was until the end, then they became the same self serving hooting ****holes the rest of the internet filled with self entitled delusions that their game was some how the best thing on the market and was immune to the decisions of corporate management.

I put it another way, I miss what city of Heroes was, I never missed what it became, and everyone of my friends I knew had long since traveled away from that game. I suspect many friends did given that CoH was below 50k active subscriptions at the end (hell the petition to stop the closure wasn't even half that 50k).

I do not have a lot of faith in them since all they are showing is concept art (some of which looks strangely familiar), and the people that actually put money on this Kickstarter are going to get a dose of reality or a huge bite in the **** over it, because even if the product gets out, it won't be the same. No matter how many times you try to go back, it never is. The magic of the game wasn't the game itself, any game can serve as that, it was the community, and even if you get a small fraction of them to go along, it still won't be the same.

This post has been edited to remove content which violates the PWE Community Rules and Policies -Smackwell
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • bwdaresbwdares Posts: 1,517 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I tired to go back to CoH. I will always love the zones there. They are WAAAAAY better than what we have here, but I love my freeform and my SG here too much to leave forever, or even an extended amount of time.

I always say I wish we could have the co game and system in the CoH world(zones.)

IF only CO would have a kickstarter to get funds for new zones, I would donate $ for that in a heart beat.
    #Mechanon!(completed) #New Zones! #Foundry!
  • gfnotaku1gfnotaku1 Posts: 172 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    What's bloody hilarious, these people don't even realize why they miss City of Heroes. It wasn't the game, because anyone in their right mind would have realized City of Heroes was average at best, compared to other MMOs.

It must be good to be insane then!

But seriously, this entire statement pisses me off. You can criticize it all you want, but the fact is that the game itself was beautiful. It was grand.

Yes, the textures weren't as well developed and often looked cheesy. YES the graphics engine was outdated. YES they didn't have as much sliders as CO. Yes, the idea of hotbar mechanics with cooldowns, slow combat and such is SOOOOO oldschool.. but really. I still love it. Not for the nostalgic charm or the endless possibilities in the CC. The maps were grand, the music was grand, and even the missions were grand. It felt like you had impact in what went on than other MMOs and like you really could be a hero/villain. Choices during missions like whether to save someone or not really did impact how NPCs viewed you and how players could interact. As you gained in level, you fought more threatening enemies that were actually unique unlike fighting the supposedly "ultra trained evil terrorists that few heroes can ever tackle alone" (AKA: VIPER) from as low as level 10. The events.. oh god were they great. From the periodic Rikti invasion that caused many to scatter, to the rampages of villains (NPC or Player!) throughout the streets.

Yes, the community helped the game feel more alive. But it was only thanks to the tools provided BY the game. It will ALWAYS be my favorite MMO (though Shroud might take that soon.. we'll see) and I'll miss it.

But I'm not in my right mind apparently. *shrug* Oh well! Rather be insane in CoH than sane in mainstream MMOs like WoW or TERA..
    This post is brought to you by:
    Villain-Mart, the only shopping franchise that caters to that diabolic need. This week at Villain-Mart, save 2 dollars on smoke machines when you shop with your CrimeCard and get buy-one-get-one-free on henchmen and scientists. Villain-Mart! You might be criminal, but our prices aren't!
    edited October 2013
    gfnotaku1 wrote: »
    But seriously, this entire statement pisses me off. You can criticize it all you want, but the fact is that the game itself was beautiful. It was grand

Everyone's entitled to their opinions. I personally didn't find anything "grand" or "beautiful" in City in the year and a half I was subscribed to it.
    biffsig.jpg
  • championshewolfchampionshewolf Posts: 4,375 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    gfnotaku1 wrote: »
    It must be good to be insane then!

But seriously, this entire statement pisses me off. You can criticize it all you want, but the fact is that the game itself was beautiful. It was grand.

Yes, the textures weren't as well developed and often looked cheesy. YES the graphics engine was outdated. YES they didn't have as much sliders as CO. Yes, the idea of hotbar mechanics with cooldowns, slow combat and such is SOOOOO oldschool.. but really. I still love it. Not for the nostalgic charm or the endless possibilities in the CC. The maps were grand, the music was grand, and even the missions were grand. It felt like you had impact in what went on than other MMOs and like you really could be a hero/villain. Choices during missions like whether to save someone or not really did impact how NPCs viewed you and how players could interact. As you gained in level, you fought more threatening enemies that were actually unique unlike fighting the supposedly "ultra trained evil terrorists that few heroes can ever tackle alone" (AKA: VIPER) from as low as level 10. The events.. oh god were they great. From the periodic Rikti invasion that caused many to scatter, to the rampages of villains (NPC or Player!) throughout the streets.

Yes, the community helped the game feel more alive. But it was only thanks to the tools provided BY the game. It will ALWAYS be my favorite MMO (though Shroud might take that soon.. we'll see) and I'll miss it.

But I'm not in my right mind apparently. *shrug* Oh well! Rather be insane in CoH than sane in mainstream MMOs like WoW or TERA..

It can piss you off all you want, but the truth is the truth. People didn't stick with CoH because of the game, they stuck with it because of the community. You can deny that facet all you want, because I've known many games just as beautiful or even better, but I don't have an ounce of wanting to go to them, because their community, or lack there of, wasn't there. People always claim there is a mystery or magic about the game that kept them there and they didn't understand it, well actually it was easy to identify; it was the community. I almost never even gave CoH much of a chance until after I got involved with the community.

Truth is truth, harsh or not, accepting the facts of what makes these MMOs stand out is part of understanding why they are enduring. You can make the best game engine, prettiest graphics and most balanced mechanics in the world, but they don't amount to much when the community isn't there. We have plenty of MMO titles to prove that.
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
    edited October 2013
    Everyone's entitled to their opinions. I personally didn't find anything "grand" or "beautiful" in City in the year and a half I was subscribed to it.

Personally I loved the way it felt like you were in a city, or a forest or a cave. I don't get that in CO.

Where CO has spoiled us with the tailor and Freeform, COH spoiled us with great locations. There is not a single zone here that I would pick over ANY of the COH ones. I dont remember all the names anymore, which saddens me, but the alternate dimension where you can be shot from floating island to island was fun as heck.

Of course I love the Roman/Greek location as well, I would use the heck out of that zone here. (My @handle is bwdares so duh :D)

I even miss the mobs now a days. Yes...even the Circle of Thorns.
  • vitalityprimevitalityprime Posts: 478 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    It can piss you off all you want, but the truth is the truth. People didn't stick with CoH because of the game, they stuck with it because of the community. You can deny that facet all you want, because I've known many games just as beautiful or even better, but I don't have an ounce of wanting to go to them, because their community, or lack there of, wasn't there. People always claim there is a mystery or magic about the game that kept them there and they didn't understand it, well actually it was easy to identify; it was the community. I almost never even gave CoH much of a chance until after I got involved with the community.

Truth is truth, harsh or not, accepting the facts of what makes these MMOs stand out is part of understanding why they are enduring. You can make the best game engine, prettiest graphics and most balanced mechanics in the world, but they don't amount to much when the community isn't there. We have plenty of MMO titles to prove that.

I most definitely played CoH because of the game...not the community.

The only reason I'm here is because that game shut down.

I didn't follow the community to another game...I simply went to the next best superhero MMO (Champions Online)...in my opinion.

Your "truth"...is only opinion. Please treat it as such.

Anyways, as for City of Titans...I can't back it right now because I never pay for future content. I only ever pay for what's here now...when it comes to games.
    _________
    VARIANT

"Nearly all men can withstand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."

-Abraham Lincoln-
    edited October 2013

There is a big different between truth and opinion. You speak opinion. You cannot talk for what others feel. There is no way for you to say what others miss about another game.

Such as me. I miss the game MUCH more than the community. I did not spend alot of my time with the community. I enjoyed the game and its features MUCH more than anything.
    edited October 2013
    I most definitely played CoH because of the game...not the community.

The only reason I'm here is because that game shut down.

I didn't follow the community to another game...I simply went to the next best superhero MMO (Champions Online)...in my opinion.

Your "truth"...is only opinion. Please treat it as such.

Anyways, as for City of Titans...I can't back it right now because I never pay for future content. I only ever pay for what's here now...when it comes to games.
    bwdares wrote: »
    There is a big different between truth and opinion. You speak opinion. You cannot talk for what others feel. There is no way for you to say what others miss about another game.

Such as me. I miss the game MUCH more than the community. I did not spend alot of my time with the community. I enjoyed the game and its features MUCH more than anything.

This. I was barely even involved in CoH's community, as I've always been more of a loner. I stuck with the game until its shutdown because I loved the game. I came to Champions after CoH's shutdown because it was the only one other than it that was worth a damn.

But I guess we're all "crazy." Oh well, better to be crazy than passionless.
  • lovehammer1lovehammer1 Posts: 416 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    The Master mind reader is at it again.
    NO ONE PERSON can speak for everybody else! This is a fact! Opinion is just that an Opinion. Nothing more. With that said, people play games/mmo's for their own reasons. Another fact.

Telling people what they like and why they like something is utterly insane in itself!
    Stop it.

Coh was great for the 5 years I played it. Both the community and sights, sounds, missions were fun for me. Just about everything, until the foundry hit. That did it for me, the abuse of the system which kind of meant the end of open team missions.

In any case. I thought the Zones were cool. City's were huge! Power sets and updates were not a rare occurrence etc etc... It was a very good ride for me.

Then came CO and freeform. The rest is history along with COH.
    But, I will always think fondly of that game. And not just for it's community.

This post has been edited to remove content which violates the PWE Community Rules and Policies -Smackwell
  • chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    1. money for server.
    2. money for maintenance
    3. money for devs.
    4. money for upgrades.(because people will ask)
    5. If they are using any CoH code, money for IP.
    6. money for rent for building to hold people and office space.(becasue once its running people will want a professional game)
    7. money for customer service people
    8. money for accountants for tax purposes, you are getting money in, you will be paying company tax, anyone gettingpaid, payroll tax,
    9. legal fees for your TOS & EULA and enforcing it, or for people who fall foul.
    10. electricity, computers, training upgrades, leave, all the other BUSINESS costs. becasue despite the fact that it is being run by COH fans, it will be a business.

advertising,
    keeping peoples interest in playing the game,
    keeping people working on the game - full time

and now for the big one,
    Why are you posting this notice here?
    Hoping to get more people to see it and donate?
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

• zahinderzahinder Posts: 2,382 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I would love them to succeed.

I don't think they have a ghost of a chance.
    Campaign: The Fenwick Cycle NWS-DKR9GB7KH

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    If it's going to be more or less like CoH, then I hope they succeed. The CoH players should get their game back, since there was no reason for it to disappear to begin with.

It won't hurt CO either. CO was pretty much in the same state before CoH closed down as it was afterwards, so it wouldn't make any difference if all the former CoH players went and played CoT (since, as I understand it, most of the former CoH players aren't actually playing CO anyway).

Also, quite frankly, the Super Hero MMO market just needs more games in it to get it a bigger presence in the MMO market, and the general video game market.

So ya, wish them the best of luck. I think they're gonna need it.
  • kelplanktonkelplankton Posts: 128 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Yo guys, I'm an animator working on City of Titans and I'd be happy to answer whatever questions I can if you want to know more about anything.

I won't be able to answer everything, because some of it isn't finalized and some of it I might just not know. But I can try my best.

Most people seem concerned about money. The Kickstarter is specifically just to fund the costs for licencing the Unreal 3 engine and cover the programs we need to develop game content like 3DS Max and Maya. I can't talk just yet about other funding sources or how servers and stuff are going to be paid for, but we're not just clueless here. Stuff will be taken care of.
    I think I was moderately interested until I saw that it planned to use a subscription model with no LTS type tier available at all for backers. That's just not for me so, lost interest. Also, the planned 2015 launch is rather soon-ish.

This, though, specifically, is Kickstarter's rule. They don't allow lifetime subscriptions as backer rewards. We had one planned and had to remove it.

Art, Animation, and Stuff:
    DA Tumblr Vimeo Youtube
  • sigmaseven0sigmaseven0 Posts: 714 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    zahinder wrote: »
    I would love them to succeed.

I don't think they have a ghost of a chance.

I hate to admit it but that's basically how i see it. I would probably feel differently if this had an all star cast of devs that know how to make that kind of game like Mighty No9 did.
    The fact they have no engine,
    To be fair, they have unreal engine. to put things in perspective, DCUO also runs on unreal and cost around 60 million to launch.
    the planned 2015 launch is rather soon-ish.
    There is no way they can launch a MMO in that time frame even if they were pros. The KS web sight isnt clear, but the stretch goals are an android and ios version of the avatar builder. What launches in 2015 may just be a standalone costume creator.

2. Please give us an exchange rate between Acclaim and Recognition so that PVP has access to all "On Alert" PVE rewards.
    edited October 2013
    When you guys gonna make your own forums? Seeing you basically advertise your game on another game's forum is kinda... ya, not trying to be rude, it just seems awkward and questionable.
    edited October 2013
    Yo guys, I'm an animator working on City of Titans and I'd be happy to answer whatever questions I can if you want to know more about anything.

Ok, what specifically is launching in 2015, the game or an avatar creator?
    spinnytop wrote: »
    When you guys gonna make your own forums? Seeing you basically advertise your game on another game's forum is kinda... ya, not trying to be rude, it just seems awkward and questionable.
    I started this thread and am in no way affiliated with this project. There isn't even a link to the KS here.

• riltmosriltmos Posts: 204 Arc User
    edited October 2013

I won't be able to answer everything, because some of it isn't finalized and some of it I might just not know. But I can try my best.

Most people seem concerned about money. The Kickstarter is specifically just to fund the costs for licencing the Unreal 3 engine and cover the programs we need to develop game content like 3DS Max and Maya. I can't talk just yet about other funding sources or how servers and stuff are going to be paid for, but we're not just clueless here. Stuff will be taken care of.

This, though, specifically, is Kickstarter's rule. They don't allow lifetime subscriptions as backer rewards. We had one planned and had to remove it.

I have two kind of important questions. Would the game be harsh on the slightly older computers, and will there be an option to make less human-like characters? I love making aliens and birds in hero games, but other than CO, there are very little options for making non-humanish looking characters.
  • angelphoenix12angelphoenix12 Posts: 313 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    a few things they do have a engine its called unreal im sure you have heard about it. also they are not using cryptics code I have no idead were someone put that in. one more thing golden girl has nothing to to do with city of titans.
    to a few people try and read up on this game before jumping to conclusions.
  • angelphoenix12angelphoenix12 Posts: 313 Arc User
    edited October 2013

they have their own forums ill link it. http://cityoftitans.com/
    edited October 2013
    @spinnytop, we have our own forums at www.cityoftitans.com, though the site is going to get a redesign pretty soon now that our game's been properly revealed. And yeah this thread wasn't posted by any of the volunteers working on the project, or team leads, or anything.

@sigmaseven0, I'll have to ask about that. I'll get back to you with more info. I know in other places we've said that the development cycle is going to be a 5 year process for the game itself.

@ritmos, We have some really cool plans for characters outside of the realm that you can do in other superhero MMOs, but I can't give any specifics yet. I'll just say you're going to be able to make characters you've never been able to make elsewhere. As for performance on older computers, that's not finalized yet. We're not going to work on everything, though. This is a modern game, and we want it to look good, but it's not going to be something that melts everyone's PCs.

DA Tumblr Vimeo Youtube
    edited October 2013
    The Kickstarter is specifically just to fund the costs for licencing the Unreal 3 engine and cover the programs we need to develop game content like 3DS Max and Maya. I can't talk just yet about other funding sources or how servers and stuff are going to be paid for, but we're not just clueless here. Stuff will be taken care of.

I think that should be made more clear in the Kickstarter. I certainly got the wrong impression of it.

I'd like to know about the art direction. Is it going to be stylized at all, or is it going to have a generic rendering feel to it?
    biffsig.jpg
  • atringatring Posts: 233 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Considering what has been accomplished without "professional" software, I'm pretty impressed. These are actual professionals who do this sort of thing for a living, so it's not like a ragtag bunch of amateurs. It's worth pointing out, at least to most of you, that most of the money concerns that have been raised have also been raised within the MWM staff and discussed with the greater community that has been following the project from the beginning.

Kelpy, you have my respect just for stepping in front of the firing squad, as it were.

Part of the problem since December, 2012.
    edited October 2013
    I think that should be made more clear in the Kickstarter. I certainly got the wrong impression of it.

I'd like to know about the art direction. Is it going to be stylized at all, or is it going to have a generic rendering feel to it?

I agree about the kickstarter. I think you'll see a more detailed breakdown of fund usage in an update soon.

As for the art direction, we're going for some light stylization. The look and feel of things is inspired mostly by the recent Marvel movies. What we're aiming for is mostly the same sort of 'style' as City of Heroes, but something more modern and a little more detailed. However, it's not going to be full on realistic. Comic book realism.

DA Tumblr Vimeo Youtube
    edited October 2013
    So, Kubert-ish, hopefully?
    edited October 2013

I started this thread and am in no way affiliated with this project. There isn't even a link to the KS here.

I know... so why did you think my post was aimed at you? o.o

they have their own forums ill link it. http://cityoftitans.com/

Fantastic, and people can help out City of Titans by going and discussing all this stuff on their forum. Nothing attracts a crowd like activity you know, and attracting a crowd will no doubt help their chances at success :3
    edited October 2013
    so why did you think my post was aimed at you? o.o
    I didn't.
    But you seemed to think this thread was some kind of advertisement so as the OP i took it upon my self to make it clear that that is not the case.

You seem pretty adverse to kelplankton posting here and I don't really understand why especially because every thing he said is on topic for the thread.

• flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    When and IF this games comes out 2015, i may check it out. If it doesn't have Mitten Hands.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
  • sistersiliconsistersilicon Posts: 1,687 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I didn't.
    But you seemed to think this thread was some kind of advertisement so as the OP i took it upon my self to make it clear that that is not the case.

You seem pretty adverse to kelplankton posting here and I don't really understand why especially because every thing he said is on topic for the thread.

That's mostly because we had a thread last month about possible astroturfers for one of the Plan Zs (I'm guessing Golden Girl's, not City of Titans) doing nothing but blasting Champions and Cryptic in MC Zone Chat. Oh, and Jaybezz being Jaybezz.
    Choose your enemies carefully, because they will define you / Make them interesting, because in some ways they will mind you
    They're not there in the beginning, but when your story ends / Gonna last with you longer than your friends
  • joybuzzerxjoybuzzerx Posts: 882 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Opinion still mixed on it.

Will my comic book hero look like something Gary Frank (lets try to be real! ick!) or Tony Daniel (<3) art?

Will they be freeform like CO? Which is the best aspect of CO. OR will they be limiting like CoH? In CoH I couldn't make a dual pistol using martial artist with fast reflexes and regeneration?

It might take a little work to do in CO (I use Parry and Righteous Fists for the Martial Arts feel), but I can get it! CoH had no way of really getting that comic book character feel, as you were limited.

CoH was better at missions. CO feels like a dungeon CRAWL. I want CoH's lots of enemies around to take out as I work my way to the boss. Not a few enemies scattered about in a huge map. :/

CoH realized we wanted to be A-list heroes, not C or B list heroes. You level up, you build for it, hell yeah, see if you can solo those AVs!

CO thinks, oh, hey, you're taking on a Legendary after building it (with real money)...ummm...no.

Now I LOVED CoH, but I always thought it could use some improvements. My fear is this game will try to be to much like CoH instead of going "You know what? We could totally improve upon the superhero mmo, by taking examples from the predecessors."
    edited October 2013
    That's mostly because we had a thread last month about possible astroturfers for one of the Plan Zs (I'm guessing Golden Girl's, not City of Titans) doing nothing but blasting Champions and Cryptic in MC Zone Chat. Oh, and Jaybezz being Jaybezz.

The odds were 99% that that was Team Golden *****.
    edited October 2013
    joybuzzerx wrote: »
    Opinion still mixed on it.

Will my comic book hero look like something Gary Frank (lets try to be real!) or Tony Daniel (<3)?

Will they be freeform like CO? Which is the best aspect of CO. OR will they be limiting like CoH? In CoH I couldn't make a dual pistol using martial artist with fast reflexes and regeneration?

It might take a little work to do in CO (I use Parry and Righteous Fists for the Martial Arts feel), but I can get it! CoH had no way of really getting that comic book character feel, as you were limited.

CoH was better at missions. CO feels like a dungeon CRAWL. I want CoH's lots of enemies around to take out as I work my way to the boss. Not a few enemies scattered about in a huge map. :/

CoH realized we wanted to be A-list heroes, not C or B list heroes. You level up, you build for it, hell yeah, see if you can solo those AVs!

CO thinks, oh, hey, you're taking on a Legendary after building it (with real money)...ummm...no.

Now I LOVED CoH, but I always thought it could use some improvements. My fear is this game will try to be to much like CoH instead of going "You know what? We could totally improve upon the superhero mmo, by taking examples from the predecessors."

As for the 'freeform vs archetype' argument, I can't talk about it yet but I think you'll find our solution to be fresh and interesting.

Stuff like not feeling outclassed by NPCs, feeling like you're fighting your way through a villain's lair or a warehouse or whatever and not a WoW style dungeon, that kind of stuff? We all want that too. We're doing our best to make it happen.

We liked CoH. A lot. But this isn't a CoH remake. This is a new game. It's building on a lot of lessons learned from CoH, but also from CO, DCUO, and the dozens of other MMOs out there on the market both now and previously.

We're not aiming to make a carbon copy or CoH with the names filed off. We're making something new, something modern, and something that CoH could never have done due to it's old, limited engine.

DA Tumblr Vimeo Youtube
  • ashensnowashensnow Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    joybuzzerx wrote: »

For what its worth, soloing Legendaries is quite possible if you choose to build for it.

'Caine, miss you bud. Fly high.
  • joybuzzerxjoybuzzerx Posts: 882 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    ashensnow wrote: »
    For what its worth, soloing Legendaries is quite possible if you choose to build for it.

I know. I've done it. I just get the feeling they're not for it with coming changes.
  • nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    What do I think. Hmmm heres a hint on how many %$?s I give.

Zero-BC-pic-4.jpg
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
This discussion has been closed.