test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

when are we getting new open worlds?

sugarsweet122sugarsweet122 Posts: 1 Arc User
edited August 2013 in Champions Online Discussion
well with fatal error live it could have been a cool open world would have been awsome but instead a quests..... where the moon zone? they said that cool new update would happend last year 2012. if they come out this year im so excited who other then me want the new update plz chat about it on the forums thanks :biggrin:
ah kingdom hearts a tale of love death and adventure :cool:
Post edited by sugarsweet122 on

Comments

• itsbrou#5396 itsbrou Posts: 1,777 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Moon zone is a concept I know they at least toyed with for a while. The implementation of the Forum Malvanum may have sealed its fate, though.
    Brou in Cryptic games.
  • crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,585 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I don't see how or why Forum Malvanum would seal its fate. The Moon is big enough to have plenty of places to hide the event.
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Never.

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • smoochansmoochan Posts: 2,564 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    We're not.

Hey I'm grump!
    I'm also grump!
    And we're CO Grumps!

Champions Online: Be the hero you wish you could be in a better game.
  • klittyklitty Posts: 1,545 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    The amount of grumps in this thread is too darn high!!!

Also, who knows? We got emotes out of the blue in the ZStore!!

=^ _ ^= Kitty Lives!
    edited July 2013
    klitty wrote: »
    The amount of grumps in this thread is too darn high!!!

Also, who knows? We got emotes out of the blue in the ZStore!!

A new open world zone made entirely out of emotes. Just imagine it...

• nextnametakennextnametaken Posts: 2,212 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    When are people going to utilize Vibora Bay?
    Things are looking up since new content came out, there's been all of 17 people there.
  • akirasanbeerakirasanbeer Posts: 215 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Hell, I'll take a re-skinned, post-resistance, Multifaria at this point.
  • chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    so what would you like in the Moon lockboxes?
    what new vehicle would you sell with the moon area?

what 3 short term missions would you do with the moon area?
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

edited July 2013
    smoochan wrote: »

A new open world zone made entirely out of emotes. Just imagine it...

One made out of broken hopes and dreams, the tears of the pvpers, the rpers and the casuals. So vast, so endless... :B

=^ _ ^= Kitty Lives!
  • kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    klitty wrote: »
    One made out of broken hopes and dreams, the tears of the pvpers, the rpers and the casuals. So vast, so endless... :B

Don't forget the souls and blood of children.
  • xen0biaxen0bia Posts: 140 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    This has been my greatest complain with the new PWE Cryptic so far. All the new 'content' is temporary events to basically justify new lockboxes, nothing lasting that would make leveling new characters interesting... Seeing as this game has very few zones to begin with compared to other games, you would think this would be a priority, but no.... And they seem to be pretty contempt in continuying this trend so yeah....
  • scorpagorscorpagor Posts: 607 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    xen0bia wrote: »
    This has been my greatest complain with the new PWE Cryptic so far. All the new 'content' is temporary events to basically justify new lockboxes, nothing lasting that would make leveling new characters interesting... Seeing as this game has very few zones to begin with compared to other games, you would think this would be a priority, but no.... And they seem to be pretty contempt in continuying this trend so yeah....

To be fair towards Cryptic, CO has been given very few developer resources by the higher ups (namely PWE).
    Making a new zone with the current amount of developers would be a humongous task.
  • monaahirumonaahiru Posts: 3,073 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    We will get Neo-Tokyo zone for new cybernetics & some moemoe-kyun. :3
    MoeMoeKyun.jpeg
  • chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited July 2013

Neverwinter has ONE mission line for levelling. Otherwise its Pvp or foundry spamming.
    One and you can't even go exploring
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

• wethree1wethree1 Posts: 149 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    chaelk wrote: »
    so what would you like in the Moon lockboxes?
    what new vehicle would you sell with the moon area?

what 3 short term missions would you do with the moon area?

This.

Edit: Retracted what I originally wrote after this. I'm weary of my own negativity. It's not accomplishing any more than my original excitement and positiveness did. I guess I'm finally at the acceptance stage of the grief cycle :P.
    edited July 2013
    monaahiru wrote: »
    We will get Neo-Tokyo zone for new cybernetics & some moemoe-kyun. :3
    MoeMoeKyun.jpeg

And evil sided japan zone!!

tumblr_lo1x96w8EM1qgkky5o1_500.jpg

=^ _ ^= Kitty Lives!
  • supersharkssupersharks Posts: 103 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    When are people going to utilize Vibora Bay?
    Things are looking up since new content came out, there's been all of 17 people there.

People will use vibora bay when they remove the crisis requirement from it.
  • jerax1011jerax1011 Posts: 966 Arc User
    edited July 2013

I wish I could repeat that crisis, it was the best out of the bunch imo.
    EU5doX8.jpg
    @Aleatha1011 in CO | Keeper of the Cheesecake since Nov. 2011| Bunni BOT is on PRIMUS! | Come check out my deviantart page!
  • ariesmajorariesmajor Posts: 394 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Honestly, I don't see the point in them making more open worlds until they get rid of exp alerts reward being able to trump actively questing.

As it stands now, you have no reason to even leave millinium city, and can go from 1-40 without even touching another zone. Because of this, the zones we do have open are empty.

So why the hell would they add another zone when nobody is even using the ones we already have?

So until they nerf Alert exp and give us open world missions worth doing, it'd be a waste of resources to even consider adding another one.
  • kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I guess I'm nobody then.
    edited July 2013
    Lot of people want more worlds for the sake of 'ish to do/storied content, than as a means of leveling. The game has never been hard on the level grind anyways; if some want to be bored to tears with alerts, let em'. Besides a good deal of the vets run smashes now, because they've done so much of what little content there is.
    edited July 2013
    chaelk wrote: »
    Neverwinter has ONE mission line for levelling. Otherwise its Pvp or foundry spamming.
    One and you can't even go exploring

Well good, that further proves my point. They don't care to give diversity to their game, so will CO get a new zone anytime soon? No. Never in fact.
    edited July 2013

...What?! VB Crisis is probably the most engaging of them all and the closest thing you get to actually feel like being a superhero in a comic book fighting a big nasty villain... It's the freakin' END OF THE WORLD, you can't get any better than that...

The problem with Vibora Bay is, it has way too many indoor missions and they usually are way too long. If you look at possibly the 2 best leveling zones of the game, Canada and Monster Island, nearly all the missions are done outdoor and you can do multiple missions in the same small area meaning you're accomplishing more work for your time. In VB, you're pretty much forced to do one mission at a time because you're constantly being shoved inside instances and therefore cut off from completing other mission objectives, so it quickly becomes a chore to do them. It doesn't feel like a very effective use of your time. That's VB's biggest failing IMO, but otherwise the feel and look of the zone is fantastic and the story is great!
    edited July 2013
    Well good, that further proves my point. They don't care to give diversity to their game, so will CO get a new zone anytime soon? No. Never in fact.

Not necessarily never.

Players might reverse-engineer the game years from now, and will never rely on Cryptic again.
    Brou in Cryptic games.
    edited July 2013
    Not necessarily never.

Players might reverse-engineer the game years from now, and will never rely on Cryptic again.

We can only hope for such a miracle...
    edited July 2013
    If we're lucky, they'll shift around westside/desert/canada again...and if we're really lucky they won't remove a bunch of missions in the process!

• gtw891gtw891 Posts: 115 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Actually I prefer they just open up Vibora Bay to 20's lvl toons. It's an underused area already in the game that has a lot of untapped potential.
  • nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    flyingfinn wrote: »
    Never.

Your being way too optimistic here.
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
    edited July 2013
    nepht wrote: »
    Your being way too optimistic here.

It's true. A realistic answer would be "Never, and they'll probably be removing some of what we have now in the near future".

• cellarrat33cellarrat33 Posts: 399 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Not necessarily never.

meh.ro7142-455x371.jpg

If only!!!

CellarRat33 :: formerly Bsquared

"The great thing about glory unending is that it's dirt cheap!" - Tateklys
    From the Adventures of Thundrax (canadascott)
  • bwdaresbwdares Posts: 1,517 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Never

#Mechanon!(completed) #New Zones! #Foundry!
  • locsmith12locsmith12 Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited July 2013

Very much this.

I?ve been saying for a while the game needs a proper expansion with new power sets, new zones and new content. Having to repeat the same story lines for every new character is boring. I?ve done all the story lines and comic books and they were really cool? the first time. They were still entertaining the second time. Now, not as much.

It?s been stated here a couple of times, but the alerts are not that entertaining after the fourth run through. And as long as they exist there is no good reason to go exploring and reading the story lines.

I?m hoping that with the creation of Cryptic North we will get some improvements. I like that we have a new story line, a new set of emotes and a new mini power set. That?s a step in the right direction.
  • bwdaresbwdares Posts: 1,517 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I would love a proper expansion as well.

I just do not believe that CO will ever get the resources for such a thing.

We know it will no happen this year at least, we have been told such already.

This game has no leadership and until it does I would not expect much from it besides a couple of fun missions every couple of months and reused holiday events.

I mean we get super excited over one mission (which I love, it is really fun) but really, it in ONE mission, that is it. Not a fully story, or comic series or adventure pack. A single mission. . .and your wanting a full zone and powers and updates?

It iis not in the cards.
    #Mechanon!(completed) #New Zones! #Foundry!
    edited July 2013
    Noon Server time.

78 players in Nemesis alert.

7 player in every zone of Vibora bay outside the Smash.
    19 players in City Center
    7 players in Downtown
    13 people in all zones of the Desert.
    21 players in all zones of Canada.
    4 players in Lemuria.
    9 players in Monster Island
    16 players in fatal error.

You don't even need Cryptic's spreadsheets to see that 'new zone' will not get enough traffic to justify the cost.
    edited July 2013
    Noon Server time.

7 players in Downtown
    4 players in Lemuria.

You don't even need Cryptic's spreadsheets to see that 'new zone' will not get enough traffic to justify the cost.

Well of course, you took your numbers in the middle of they day, on a Monday, and while a Nemesis alert was up to boot... Not exactly reliable data! xD
    edited July 2013
    Noon Server time.

7 players in Downtown
    4 players in Lemuria.

Take away nems dropping questionite and numbers would probably drop. Again if there were a crapton of regular content, alerts wouldn't be as packed. XP isn't everything in this game.
    edited July 2013
    Not necessarily never.

Well, if that does happen, then when everyone argues constantly with each other about what direction the game should go in, there might actually be a point to it!

I can just see it now... developers in charge of the game who would completely ignore any opposing opinions and just do whatever they wanted, not caring if it causes the population to drop, with those people who disagree with the changes complaining and slowly leaving, and those who agree with the changes defending the new devs to the death, until a decision they don't agree with happens and they switch sides...

hey wait a second...
    Take away nems dropping questionite and numbers would probably drop. Again if there were a crapton of regular content, alerts wouldn't be as packed. XP isn't everything in this game.

I dunno, according to all the people who think alerts ruined this game, all it takes is a higher XP reward to draw everyone away from content that is supposedly better... so maybe XP is everything?

edited July 2013
    Well of course, you took your numbers in the middle of they day, on a Monday, and while a Nemesis alert was up to boot... Not exactly reliable data! xD

Provide better data. When's the better time?
    An hour later all the numbers are worse.
    I didn't count MC zones and bodies, so those numbers may or mat not have improved.

Take those 78 people out of the Nemesis alerts and divide them into the 8 open maps I listed.
    That's still less than 10 people added to each zone.
    Add another open map and the division deepens and those zones never get to feel occupied.

There is a ton of content to do in this game. I've only done maybe 10% in two years.
    Players weren't doing the tons of content for a long time, that's why we have alerts.
    edited July 2013
    Provide better data.

Every zone was highly populated when they were new. A new zone would similarly be highly populated at first.

Taking data from zones that we've had for like 4 years and saying that data has anything to do with the numbers a new zone would see doesn't really add up.

It really depends on the zone itself, and whether it's just another skin-job like everything else we've been getting lately. Oh goody, a new virtual area with bags of hit points arranged into groups for me to farm for xp, with different colors than the other one! :D

• ariesmajorariesmajor Posts: 394 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    There is a ton of content to do in this game, people just aren't doing it.

Blame EXP alerts for that.

Aside from doing silver dailys and occasionally farming craft points, most people don't enter those zones because they save so much time just spamming xp alerts.
  • stergasterga Posts: 2,353 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Why would I run around in Canada, the Desert, MI, or VB on my 20th+ toon when I can sucker someone from my guild to carry me through the alerts? There are only so many times I can go through the same missions, killing the same minion, before getting bored. Besides, I like the opportunity to bash my nem in the face during alerts... Not that they ever show up since those damn Gener-o-Nems are always about.

MI is actually my favorite zone. I pretty much skip most instanced content when I do decide to level a character through missions. If there should ever be a new zone, I really, really, really hope it's more open world.
    YouTube - Steam - Twitter
    [at]riviania Member since Aug 2009
  • zahinderzahinder Posts: 2,382 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    As someone who played CO a bunch after On Alert dropped, I think it would be a mistake to assume that if Alerts were no longer rewarding compared to mission play, people would go off and play missions.

In my case, I just... was sick of the core content. It wasn't interesting any more.

Alert drew me back because while it was still kind of boring, it wasn't as painfully tedious to get through.

On Alert didn't kill the game, the game's been dying since day 1. On Alert was a dose of adrenalin that the devs then utterly failed to capitalize on.
    Campaign: The Fenwick Cycle NWS-DKR9GB7KH

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
  • towershield#4714 towershield Posts: 1,208 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Provide better data.

Take 78 people out of the alerts and divide them into the 8 open maps I listed.
    That's still less than 10 people added to each zone.

You're making the same mistake that every other poster that has provided the same sort of anecdotal evidence has made in thinking that these narrowly aimed zone population snapshot results are somehow conclusive proof of...well, anything. At noon on a Monday, there were few people logged into the game. Okay, what exactly does that tell us about the overall size of the player population? If you guys want to insist on taking these little population snapshots then how about taking one every hour over the course of a week, compiling the results and presenting those numbers?

I can't speak for anyone else but I'd be more receptive to data that was compiled from a series of serious tests over these one-off inconclusive tidbits that keep getting presented.
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________
    edited July 2013
    You're making the same mistake that every other poster that has provided the same sort of anecdotal evidence has made in thinking that these narrowly aimed zone population snapshot results are somehow conclusive proof of...well, anything. At noon on a Monday, there were few people logged into the game. Okay, what exactly does that tell us about the overall size of the player population? If you guys want to insist on taking these little population snapshots then how about taking one every hour over the course of a week, compiling the results and presenting those numbers?

I can't speak for anyone else but I'd be more receptive to data that was compiled from a series of serious tests over these one-off inconclusive tidbits that keep getting presented.

Even then it wouldn't be accurate. You have to factor in all the people who would start playing again for the new content... and how do we even measure that accurately? Further, how do we measure how many of those people would stay a long time after having run it once? How many players who would have stopped otherwise would be retained? How many players who would have kept playing would be disappointed enough with the new zone to stop playing because of it?

Even accurately measuring the comings and goings of every player over the course of a month doesn't tell us what would happen if a new zone were unveiled.

• towershield#4714 towershield Posts: 1,208 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    True, but the results of many tests over a period of time would paint a much better picture than the "nobody was online when I decided to conduct a census so the game must be dead or dying" posts, which is what I was referring to. And like you said, a new zone would really complicate things.
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________
    edited July 2013
    A better census is running a /who <zone> #x where the zone is the one you are scanning and x the instance number. Yesterday I saw approx. 3700 users total after scanning all zones.
    Brou in Cryptic games.
    edited July 2013
    smoochan wrote: »
    Every zone was highly populated when they were new. A new zone would similarly be highly populated at first.

Taking data from zones that we've had for like 4 years and saying that data has anything to do with the numbers a new zone would see doesn't really add up.

Taking population data from the game as it exists right this minute is more valid
    than your pipe dreams of a new zone utopia.

Those zones are all new to the 4200 new accounts every week since January 2012 and they were new to the 2.5 million people before that.

The people sticking around begging for new zones don't even number in the thousands.

If thousands of players a week quit before they reach City Center, why would you think they are going to fill up some other zone?

Level 20 Queen City has been desolate since it was introduced. I've leveled probably
    twenty characters through that place and never saw more than twelve people
    in the whole zone. Peopel can share the mission and RP there, but nope, zones still empty and RP people still ask for more dev time wasted on their RP spaces.

As long as their spreadsheets show low populations in all the other zones, they are
    never going to get the go ahead to invest in more empty space.
    edited July 2013
    Y At noon on a Monday, there were few people logged into the game. Okay, what exactly does that tell us about the overall size of the player population? If you guys want to insist on taking these little population snapshots then how about taking one every hour over the course of a week, compiling the results and presenting those numbers?

I do take snapshots every hour or so. I just don't write it all down.

At 4:30PM server time on a Monday, CO has lost an entire zone of MC since noon and none of the four zones is full.

Total population of all those area's I listed earlier is 52 or just over 6 players per area.
    edited July 2013
    Taking population data from the game as it exists right this minute is more valid
    than your pipe dreams of a new zone utopia.

Those zones are all new to the 4200 new accounts every week since January 2012 and they were new to the 2.5 million people before that.

The people sticking around begging for new zones don't even number in the thousands.

If thousands of players a week quit before they reach City Center, why would you think they are going to fill up some other zone?

Level 20 Queen City has been desolate since it was introduced. I've leveled probably
    twenty characters through that place and never saw more than twelve people
    in the whole zone. Peopel can share the mission and RP there, but nope, zones still empty and RP people still ask for more dev time wasted on their RP spaces.

As long as their spreadsheets show low populations in all the other zones, they are
    never going to get the go ahead to invest in more empty space.

Can you link to the information where you got that CO is getting 4200 new accounts every week. I think we would all love some official information like that, and would especially like to see what else is listed in there.