test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Lore Questions for Steve

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Posts: 1,156,071 Arc User
    edited April 2012
    I am deeply excited about the upcoming Book of the Empress, and hope to purchase it when I have the chance. For those that I believe already have it (because of Kickstarter contribution and the like) I would like to add a couple of questions (if such can be done and if answers can, in fact, be provided):

1st- Not really a "lore" question, but exactly how much information is provided about the Multifarian in BoTE? It is significant? I'd like to create a possible backstory for a Multifarian character, and although I don't have anything defined I was worried that it may contradict new info provided in the book.

There is new information on the Multifarian; not a large amount, but significant. Mostly about the unique conditions in the Multifarian and how they would affect visitors to the dimension; differences among the analogues to characters from Champions Earth, both historical personages and known superheroes and villains; and the current political situation -- let's just say that Shadow Destroyer isn't the only "name" supervillain who's carved out a kingdom for himself on Multifarian Earth.
    2nd-Is there any "highly resilent" (eg: questionite, just not usually found on Earth) that the Empress' legions use or that is at least mentioned?

Thanks.:)

I haven't found any mention of a "V'hanium" or suchlike that's unique to the Empress's domain or forces. However, she's conquered multiple dimensions that are alternates of the Champions Universe in most respects, so it's safe to assume she has access to any of the super-materials that exist there. Probably much more of them than can be found on Champions Earth.
    edited April 2012
    i have another question, has Millenium city ever been hit by a solar storm?

Unless such has happened in Champions Online, no. But see LordofTheAbyss's timely response above. ;)
    edited April 2012
    Can't find any official phenomenon like that, at least in MC. However, a number of heroes/villains have access to superpowers due to freak solar flares or similar events, if it is of any use to you, you can ask about suggestions regarding them, their powers and possible origins for similar heroes. On a side note, some of these events happened outside the Earth and directly into space. (Examples include the supervillains Photon and Sunspot and the heroine Victory)
    oh okay understood so sorta like what happened to fantastic four okay. and would there be any space for a new mineral called Hadronite :P
    edited April 2012
    ... and would there be any space for a new mineral called Hadronite :P

Depends. What does it do? Maybe there's already something comparable. :)
    edited April 2012
    Depends. What does it do? Maybe there's already something comparable. :)

Well it is a metal that promotes propulsion reaching to the speed of sound and if enough is combined, it can even reach near Light speed it is also moderately durable and has slight energy retention properties(can be good or bad for the user for example radiation or heat)
    at least that's what i have so far(what i just made up) sounds okay?
    edited April 2012
    Well, that is new.
    edited April 2012
    Well, that is new.
    does it sound overpowered?
    edited April 2012
    Can't find any official phenomenon like that, at least in MC. However, a number of heroes/villains have access to superpowers due to freak solar flares or similar events, if it is of any use to you, you can ask about suggestions regarding them, their powers and possible origins for similar heroes. On a side note, some of these events happened outside the Earth and directly into space. (Examples include the supervillains Photon and Sunspot and the heroine Victory)

As Champions Beyond reveals, several such supers-creating events have had a common source, perhaps not what you'd expect. Some occurred in space (Sunspot, Stareye, Victory), while others happened on or near the surface of the Earth (Photon, Vector).
    edited April 2012
    As Champions Beyond reveals, several such supers-creating events have had a common source, perhaps not what you'd expect. Some occurred in space (Sunspot, Stareye, Victory), while others happened on or near the surface of the Earth (Photon, Vector).
    Thanks for answering my previous question.

Yea, I checked it. Not something one would expect but interesting nevertheless. Has a number of possible uses both to link the affected characters and also, to introduce the "guilty party”, so to say, and link behind the event in an Earth focused campaign. Champions Beyond is a great book and I kind of feel bad my first read through it was actually just the Elder Worm chapter. Also, for those who don't know (yet) the Star Guard (mentioned in the WO finale) is detailed in the book.

Also, another question(s), if one would not mind: How advanced is the super technology available to Istvatha V'han's legions when compared to humanity's own? Although, she can't bring the full extent of her forces to Earth's dimension she surely has an advantage in the scientific field, no? Are there any remains of her forces' technology in Earth? Left-overs from her past invasions (1998 and 2007 if I can recall correctly)?
    edited April 2012
    Thanks for answering my previous question.

Yea, I checked it. Not something one would expect but interesting nevertheless. Has a number of possible uses both to link the affected characters and also, to introduce the "guilty party”, so to say, and link behind the event in an Earth focused campaign. Champions Beyond is a great book and I kind of feel bad my first read through it was actually just the Elder Worm chapter. Also, for those who don't know (yet) the Star Guard (mentioned in the WO finale) is detailed in the book.

Also, another question(s), if one would not mind: How advanced is the super technology available to Istvatha V'han's legions when compared to humanity's own? Although, she can't bring the full extent of her forces to Earth's dimension she surely has an advantage in the scientific field, no? Are there any remains of her forces' technology in Earth? Left-overs from her past invasions (1998 and 2007 if I can recall correctly)?

I believe Steve has mentioned V'Han's tech as being on par or just below Malvan and Ostrugarian technology.
    edited April 2012
    Thundrax wrote:
    I believe Steve has mentioned V'Han's tech as being on par or just below Malvan and Ostrugarian technology.
    Thanks for the quick response, Thundrax.:)While I am aware that Malvans are the galatic civilization with "the most advanced technology in the galaxy" or something of the sort, I am not familiar with the Ostrugarians. Are they an alien civilization, as well?
    edited April 2012
    Thundrax wrote:
    I believe Steve has mentioned V'Han's tech as being on par or just below Malvan and Odrugaran technology.

I think the relevant response by Steve was to a question I posed here a while back:
    Where does the technology possessed by the Empyreans rank compared to the tech used by major Earthly scientist heroes and villains, and by advanced alien races such as the Malvans, Odrugarans, or Mandaarians? I know the Empyreans were taught the sciences by the incredibly advanced Progenitors, but the Empyreans' history in Hidden Lands seems to imply the Progenitors didn't teach them everything.
    HeroSteve wrote:
    We've never addressed that point in print, but off the cuff my feeling is that whatever science the Empyreans do have is roughly on par with that of the top half of Human heroes/villains. That would also make it roughly equivalent to that of many alien civilizations. OTOH, some civilizations -- the Malvans, the Odrugarans, and Istvatha V'han, among others -- definitely have more advanced technology. So, of course, do the Progenitors, who definitely didn't give the Empyreans all their Cool Secret Stuff. ;)

Istvatha V'han's time-travel abilities have helped give her a technological edge over most of her contemporary rivals. Book Of The Empress mentions more than one occasion in which the Empress traveled to the future to steal advanced technology to give her legions a tactical advantage.

I can't recall anyone on Earth salvaging any technology left over from one of V'han's invasions. However, the Empress doesn't share her most advanced technology with the general populace of her empire, and military examples of it are closely guarded, both the knowledge of it and any items used.
    edited April 2012
    Thanks for the quick response, Thundrax.:)While I am aware that Malvans are the galatic civilization with "the most advanced technology in the galaxy" or something of the sort, I am not familiar with the Ostrugarians. Are they an alien civilization, as well?

The Odrugarans, inhabitants of the planet Odrugar, are the patrons of the Star*Guard, as described in Champions Beyond. Gloran, founder of the Star*Guard, is reputedly the most brilliant Odrugaran who ever lived. The Odrugarans are the oldest known living civilization in the galaxy, even older than the Malvans, although Malvan technology is superior (having had an eons-long war with the Elder Worm to spur their development).
    edited April 2012
    I think the relevant response by Steve was to a question I posed here a while back:

Istvatha V'han's time-travel abilities have helped give her a technological edge over most of her contemporary rivals. Book Of The Empress mentions more than one occasion in which the Empress traveled to the future to steal advanced technology to give her legions a tactical advantage.

I can't recall anyone on Earth salvaging any technology left over from one of V'han's invasions. However, the Empress doesn't share her most advanced technology with the general populace of her empire, and military examples of it are closely guarded, both the knowledge of it and any items used.
    The Odrugarans, inhabitants of the planet Odrugar, are the patrons of the Star*Guard, as described in Champions Beyond. Gloran, founder of the Star*Guard, is reputedtly the most brilliant Odrugaran who ever lived. The Odrugarans are the oldest known living civilization in the galaxy, even older than the Malvans, although Malvan technology is superior (having had an eons-long war with the Elder Worm to spur their development).

Completely forgot about the Star Guard and their bosses...thanks for the answers. How clever of the Empress, her powers certaintly have more uses than one would expect, going beyond the typical all-out offensive abilities that most superhumans possess. Again, hope I manage to get my hands on BoTE as fast as possible, the Empress is looking more and more like a really cool character. The brief mentions of her that appear on CO don't do her much justice for an inter-dimensional master villain.
    edited April 2012
    Completely forgot about the Star Guard and their bosses...thanks for the answers. How clever of the Empress, her powers certaintly have more uses than one would expect, going beyond the typical all-out offensive abilities that most superhumans possess. Again, hope I manage to get my hands on BoTE as fast as possible, the Empress is looking more and more like a really cool character. The brief mentions of her that appear on CO don't do her much justice for an inter-dimensional master villain.

"Of all the fiendish and deadly master villains heroes have to face in the Champions Universe, the most dangerous isn’t Dr. Destroyer, Mechanon, King Cobra, Menton, or even the Aztec god Tezcatlipoca — it’s Istvatha V’han, the self-styled “Empress of a Billion Dimensions.” After all, most master villains aspire to conquer and rule Earth, but with the exception of Dr. Destroyer for three months in 1984, none of them have ever succeeded. Istvatha V’han, on the other hand, rules not just a single planet but hundreds of millions of entire dimensions. Her resources dwarf those of any other master villain (except perhaps for rival dimension lords like Skarn the Shaper and Tyrannon), and her personal powers of dimension and time travel make it virtually impossible to truly defeat her." (Book Of The Empress p. 5)
    edited April 2012
    What sort of tech did the Selenites have?

On any unrelated note, what happened to Dr. D's mind control satelites after they were deactivated?
    edited April 2012
    Koios wrote:
    What sort of tech did the Selenites have?

Before they were enslaved by the Earth supervillain Revenger, very little. They tended the advanced machines left behind by their creators in the city of Selenus, as they had been "programmed" to do, but after millions of years most of those had ceased functioning. Since then a few Selenites have learned how to operate some of the technology Revenger abandoned, including a few formidable weapons.
    Koios wrote:
    On any unrelated note, what happened to Dr. D's mind control satelites after they were deactivated?

According to Book Of The Destroyer, after the failure of DD's original mind-control plot in 1984, his satellites remained, cloaked against detection. In 1988 the Doctor adapted his satellite network to broadcast a signal which would kill 90% of the world's population, which scheme was also foiled. The satellites themselves aren't mentioned as having been deactivated, though.

The details in BOTD diverge from post-Cryptic continuity with the arrival of Shadow Destroyer on Champions Earth in 2002. The most recent edition of Champions Universe says that Shadow D attempted a global mind-control plan of his own in 2006. He may have intended to use the true Destroyer's satellite network, but CU doesn't specify.
    edited April 2012
    Spirge wrote:
    Here's a question about the magical realms in CO:

I realise that there are realms that are related to Earth - such as Elysium, the Netherworld, Faerie, etcetera, and that these realms were created via beliefs of humans, or something similar.

I also heard that, as a result, every different planet will have their own versions of Elysium, The Netherworld, etcetera, although some may be missing them, or even have extra realms depending on the beliefs of their inhabitants.

What I'd mostly like to do is confirm this for a backstory, and also: If an alien were to come to Earth, would he/she still be able to draw power from their Elysium/Faerie/Netherworld/Etcetera? I understand that their presence wouldn't alter the current world's realms, but I'd just like some feedback on this.

I wanted to revisit this question, because new official information has become available. The following is from Book Of The Empress p. 99:

"Furthermore, other species, both within Earth’s dimension and from other dimensions that are home to sentient life, have their own Parterres based on their cultures, their perspectives on Reality, and so forth. Typically dimensional travelers (of any sort) are only aware of the Imaginal Realms pertaining to their own species; they can’t perceive (much less travel to) other species’s Parterres. That’s why Humans don’t find Perseids, Mon’dabi, V’hanians, or Ka-ree in Faerie or Babylon, and why those realms don’t reflect other species’s thoughts and beliefs. However, some powerful mystics (including the likes of Skarn and Tyrannon) can visit any Parterre they know of."

How this might affect the magic of alien sorcerors or supernatural creatures on Earth who call upon the powers of "their" Inner Planes is unclear. If you'd like an opinion, I don't think it needs to limit a character's abilities unless you want it to. The Astral Plane, which connects the various dimensions of the Multiverse, doesn't manifest distance the way the physical world does. Astral locations are "near" to each other based on their similarity, not their geographic relationship; and experienced and skilled astral travelers can instantly move from any place on the Astral Plane to any other.
    edited April 2012
    First, let me say thanks to LotA and L_L... Thanks guys! I haven't had a chance to post on the forums for a while, but I wanted to say thanks for the info on VIPER's Supreme Serpent.:o

One last thing though... The events from "Reality Storm"... are they considered "canon" for the Champions Universe? Normally I would think so, but since it's a crossover I'm not sure.

If you could shed any light on this, I'd appreciate it. And, to avoid the issue of another late reply, let me say "thanks" in advance this time. ;)
    edited April 2012
    The Reality Storm event is mentioned twice in Champions Universe for Sixth Edition (the most recent one), although few details are given. It's part of the official PnP setting history.
    edited April 2012
    Regarding Terror.Inc, I've seen info on Scorpia and Feur/Feurmarcher on Conquerours,Killers and Crooks, where can additional info be found?

When I answered this question previously, I overlooked a passage from Champions Universe 6E p. 76:

"For many years the most powerful superhumans in the region [Latin America] were a supervillain group, Terror Inc., which maintained a well-defended headquarters on an island off the coast of Peru. But in 1998, the group self-destructed when two of its members, Scorpia and Feuermacher, murdered its leader, Professor Muerte, and defected to Eurostar (taking much of the group’s technological and data resources with them). Terror, Inc.’s agents abandoned the island (whose facilities were later destroyed in bombing raids conducted by the US Air Force) to join existing criminal groups or form gangs of their own.

The group’s one remaining member, a superstrong brute named Giganto, retreated into the isolation of the Amazon jungle and wasn’t seen for a long time. Eventually, with much of his intelligence restored due to treatments funded by the hero El Dorado... he re-appeared as a member of La Brigada de Victoria (“The Victory Brigade”), a superhero team based in Rio de Janeiro but active all over the South American continent, and sometimes in the Caribbean."
    edited April 2012
    When I answered this question previously, I overlooked a passage from Champions Universe 6E p. 76:

"For many years the most powerful superhumans in the region [Latin America] were a supervillain group, Terror Inc., which maintained a well-defended headquarters on an island off the coast of Peru. But in 1998, the group self-destructed when two of its members, Scorpia and Feuermacher, murdered its leader, Professor Muerte, and defected to Eurostar (taking much of the group’s technological and data resources with them). Terror, Inc.’s agents abandoned the island (whose facilities were later destroyed in bombing raids conducted by the US Air Force) to join existing criminal groups or form gangs of their own.

The group’s one remaining member, a superstrong brute named Giganto, retreated into the isolation of the Amazon jungle and wasn’t seen for a long time. Eventually, with much of his intelligence restored due to treatments funded by the hero El Dorado... he re-appeared as a member of La Brigada de Victoria (“The Victory Brigade”), a superhero team based in Rio de Janeiro but active all over the South American continent, and sometimes in the Caribbean."

Thanks for adding that, while I was more or less up to date with the first part the Giganto's redemption was not something I had in mind or was aware of. As I am posting I'd wish to drop some few more questions, in case such can be done:

1st Returning to a previous question regarding the "embodiments" and the like, would it be viable to create a character that can act as something like a "darkness is evil" personification, since darkness is usually associated with villainous characters and forces in human understanding? Is there any world (besides the Shining Darkness) on official lore that stands as a void, so to speak, of darkness?

2nd Multifarian technology is expected to be wildly different from the typical CU's due to the merging of several time periods and ages, has there ever been any comparison? And if not (or yes), can we assume it is at least as potent as the common super technology employed by typical super heroes and villains?
    edited April 2012
    Thanks for adding that.....

:D .
    edited April 2012
    1st Returning to a previous question regarding the "embodiments" and the like, would it be viable to create a character that can act as something like a "darkness is evil" personification, since darkness is usually associated with villainous characters and forces in human understanding? Is there any world (besides the Shining Darkness) on official lore that stands as a void, so to speak, of darkness?

There's certainly precedent for such a character. While I can't think of any other "dark dimensions" as such besides the Shining Darkness, the supervillain Eclipsar "is an immensely powerful quasi-mystic being who wields a power known as the Darklight. The ultimate embodiment of shadow, darkness, and evil, the Darklight allows her to blast her enemies, confine them in bindings or spheres of pure force, protect herself, and travel instantaneously across planetary distances. It also infuses her body, making her very difficult to harm or affect in any way." (Champions Villains Vol. 3, p. 92)

There's also the martial-arts villain Shadowdragon, who wields a mysterious force of darkness, like "dark ch'i." Shadowdragon believes that as a child he was contacted by a sentient entity of darkness who taught him how to use this power in exchange for performing acts of evil. Whether this is true or a delusion is unclear; in any case Shadowdragon is now utterly evil himself. He's fully described in CV 3 pp. 250-52.

OTOH darkness isn't automatically associated with evil in the CU. The leader of the superhero team the Sentinels, Black Rose, draws on "dark mystical energies" which pervade the dimension of Lythrum, which its inhabitants use for many effects; but the energies have no inherent moral component. (Black Rose is fully written up in Champions Universe: News Of The World.)

EDIT: I have to amend my last point above, based on further description of the dimension of Lythrum in Book Of The Empress p. 141. Apparently "the nature of this mystic shadowstuff tends to be a corrosive force that corrupts the soul if one lacks the willpower to control it instead of being controlled by it. Many a Lythruman sorcerer (or scientist) has turned to evil as a result of this effect, forcing the better-natured Lythruman mystics to spend a great deal of time and effort combating them."
    2nd Multifarian technology is expected to be wildly different from the typical CU's due to the merging of several time periods and ages, has there ever been any comparison? And if not (or yes), can we assume it is at least as potent as the common super technology employed by typical super heroes and villains?

Technology in the Multifarian is briefly discussed in Book Of The Empress, and it's a very curious situation. Since both the "past" and the "future," from our perspective, co-exist there, technologies both more and less advanced than present-day Earth are in use. However, the unique natural laws of the Multifarian "also 'balance the scales' so that most forms of technology remain equally effective despite advances that rendered them obsolete on CU Earth. For example, in CU Earth, an air battle that pits jetfighters against zeppelins means the zeppelins don’t stand a chance. But in the Multifarian the natural laws somehow 'tilt the balance' so that early twentieth century airships are just as tactically viable and effective as advanced warplanes — it all boils down to the skill of the user and the tactical situation more than the technological 'imbalance.'" (BOTE p. 136)
    edited April 2012
    Okay, so... the 900 day vet reward title is "Vanguard of Thaar."

Is "Thaar" anywhere in the CU mythos? What is it, exactly?
    edited April 2012
    chazio wrote:
    Okay, so... the 900 day vet reward title is "Vanguard of Thaar."

Is "Thaar" anywhere in the CU mythos? What is it, exactly?

Thaar is a city of bird-people, ruled by King Gudra, hidden on a mist-covered island in the Southern Indian ocean. The people of Thaar bear no relation to the manimals, having existed for at least 12,000 years. Thaar first contacted modern civilization in 1965, but have chosen to hide their presence from mans world.

Robobo made a post that hinted Thaar would be relocated up north. so we'll have to wait and see how much Cryptic changes.
    edited April 2012
    Thundrax wrote:
    Thaar is a city of bird-people, ruled by King Gudra, hidden on a mist-covered island in the Southern Indian ocean. The people of Thaar bear no relation to the manimals, having existed for at least 12,000 years. Thaar first contacted modern civilization in 1965, but have chosen to hide their presence from mans world.

Robobo made a post that hinted Thaar would be relocated up north. so we'll have to wait and see how much Cryptic changes.

Would Thaar's inhabitants be something that Dr. Moreau would be interested in?
    edited April 2012
    Like Thundrax mentioned the bird-people of Thaar have no relation with the Manimals. Still, Moreau, and perhaps any other similar villain, could have some interest in them. On a side note, the bird-people are the result of genetic manipulation by unknown alien figures which could also serve as the basis for a character. Thaar is mostly isolated from the regular world, but its existence is known to public, making a villain learning of its existence a simple process.
    edited April 2012
    Well, with this info and the bird-people costume set that was also given with the 900-day vet reward, I'm thinking of making a Thaar character.

Are they technologically advanced? Would they use guns or swords? Do they use magic?
    edited April 2012
    I could not find any info pertaining to Thaar's overall "stand" on themes such as science and magic. However it is mentioned in Champions: News of the World that the Bird People are trained since their youth with pole arms and halberds. Also: Bird People are taller than most human beings going between 7 to 9 feet, if you decide to truly make one.
    edited May 2012
    Is there any species similar to Cybertronians in CU?

They don't have to be huge transforming robots, but it would be nice if they meet at least some of these criteria:

1 - entirely mechanical race with very advanced technology.
    2 - divided into warring factions (one is good, another one is evil).
    edited May 2012
    Is there any species similar to Cybertronians in CU?

They don't have to be huge transforming robots, but it would be nice if they meet at least some of these criteria:

1 - entirely mechanical race with very advanced technology.
    2 - divided into warring factions (one is good, another one is evil).

All I could find (in Champions Beyond) was the so-called X’endron Network, an entire species made with robotic beings, who possess a connection to the humanoid race known as the Ixendar. The X'endron are not particularly divided into factions, most of them believe organics to be weak and fragile and seek to enslave them, but it may be possible for one to develop too much sentience and/or actual affection or emotion. The X'endron sent an agent known as Unit ΣZ1-G, to scout Earth but it was damaged and instead became a super villain, with no recollection regarding his background. This drone, renamed Syzygy, could be a part of your possible character backstory. Following this there isn't much info to give; you could easily either use the X'endron Network as a beginning template for a new mechanical civilization or further expand the Network until it suits your needs. If nothing else works you can make your own species, the Milky Way (and beyond) have enough space for a new robotic species. Hope I helped.:)
    edited June 2012
    Well, since this topic is not stickied thread I'd figure we should keep posting to prevent it's "Necroing". So ,my question would be: "Does UNTIL have a special project dedicated to Istvatha V’han, akin to Project Shiva for Destroyer, or instead an official division dedicated towards the containment of inter-dimensional threats? If not, does Project Stargazer fill in that role, even if only passively?"
    edited June 2012
    Well, since this topic is not stickied thread I'd figure we should keep posting to prevent it's "Necroing". So ,my question would be: "Does UNTIL have a special project dedicated to Istvatha V’han, akin to Project Shiva for Destroyer, or instead an official division dedicated towards the containment of inter-dimensional threats? If not, does Project Stargazer fill in that role, even if only passively?"

According to the Book of the Empress, in 2004 UNTIL established Project Citadel in response to the threat posed by the Empress and other dimensional conquerors. Their duties include coordinating with heroes from around the globe, as well as the Star*Guard to quickly mobilize in the event of an invasion, studying V'han's dimensional technology, and gathering as much information as they can on the Empire's military capabilities. It's currently being led by Major Alexander Shumeykin of Russia.
    edited June 2012
    According to the Book of the Empress, in 2004 UNTIL established Project Citadel in response to the threat posed by the Empress and other dimensional conquerors. Their duties include coordinating with heroes from around the globe, as well as the Star*Guard to quickly mobilize in the event of an invasion, studying V'han's dimensional technology, and gathering as much information as they can on the Empire's military capabilities. It's currently being led by Major Alexander Shumeykin of Russia.
    Thank you for the reply, I have yet to get BoTE but I did suspect that it would mention something along the lines of "Project Citadel" as for UNTIL's methods agaisnt the Empress and similar threats.
    edited June 2012
    I'd highly recommend BoTE. It's a great read, and has pretty much everything you could want to know about V'han herself, her Empire, her plans, and those that oppose her rule. It even has a large section about other dimensions, and examples of several alternate earths.
    edited June 2012
    I searched the forums and the internet in general for this, and I'm thoroughly confused. So can the humanoid (non-reptilian) Lemurians breathe on the surface without assistance? I thought that the reptilian throwback form that Lemurians took were to make them amphibious so they can survive on land, but the Lemurians in the first Nemesis mission are seen without any kind of breathing apparati, and the same with the War on Peace mission if memory serves. Do the humanoid Lemurians on the docks on Monster Island have scuba gear on? I can't recall. Am I confused, or is Cryptic being screwy?

PS-This thread should be stickied.
    edited June 2012
    I searched the forums and the internet in general for this, and I'm thoroughly confused. So can the humanoid (non-reptilian) Lemurians breathe on the surface without assistance? I thought that the reptilian throwback form that Lemurians took were to make them amphibious so they can survive on land, but the Lemurians in the first Nemesis mission are seen without any kind of breathing apparati, and the same with the War on Peace mission if memory serves. Do the humanoid Lemurians on the docks on Monster Island have scuba gear on? I can't recall. Am I confused, or is Cryptic being screwy?

PS-This thread should be stickied.

Cryptic isn't being screwy. A Lemurian in transformed (human) state can breathe just fine on land. What they can't do is breathe underwater, which is why they wear diving helmets. A decursed Lemurian (reptilian form) is amphibious and can breathe both underwater and on land.
    edited June 2012
    Cryptic isn't being screwy. A Lemurian in transformed (human) state can breathe just fine on land. What they can't do is breathe underwater, which is why they wear diving helmets. A decursed Lemurian (reptilian form) is amphibious and can breathe both underwater and on land.

Thanks for the reply. And I was confused. I did more thorough research after getting some sleep (turns out looking for RPG MMO and PnP lore isn't the best thing for me to do at 1AM) I believe I was getting the Lemurians confused with the Atlanteans. I haven't been to Lemuria in quite some time, as I have no toon that is level appropriate, and accessible (my 40 is a FF Gold slot, and I am now a Silver member), but I remembered Stingray, and figured she was Lemurian. I think I will make my new aquatic-type villain Atlantean rather than being from Lemuria then, because I really like his mask with the breathing apparatus. :D
    edited June 2012
    I have a question. I had an idea to make a character a somewhat galaxy themed planet-sized robot sorta like Unicron are there any of those in Champions lore?
    edited June 2012
    I think Mechanon had something Moon-sized, not too sure.
    edited June 2012
    I have a question. I had an idea to make a character a somewhat galaxy themed planet-sized robot sorta like Unicron are there any of those in Champions lore?
    I think Mechanon had something Moon-sized, not too sure.
    I can only directly recall Mechanon's so-called Cislunar Mechanon experimental form, at first glance its an orbital base but he can download itself to it, I believe it is fully detailed in Book of The Machine but that's about as far as I can recall. The cosmic villain Astron embodies an entire "planet", more properly a living asteroid field, but he is no robot. I do not remember/know a character that can fit into such parameters, but I believe you could go ahead with your char. It is an interesting concept and I am reminded of Ego the Living Planet.
    edited June 2012
    There aren't any villains that precisely resemble Unicron, at least in the current Champions timeline. However there is a setting that takes place in the year 3000 called Galactic Champions, after magic has returned to the CU after almost a thousand years. In that timeline Mechanon is, due to time travel, very much active and has even succeeded in conquering an alien planet and scouring it of life. He has built Mechanon 3000 there, a new moon-sized body for himself that resembles a giant version of his head. From there he plots to rid the Earth of organic life once and for all, and then the rest of the galaxy.
    edited June 2012
    NikeOnline wrote:
    Hey Steve :),

In the PnP setting, are there any traffic laws for flying people? Some sort of 'always pass on the right', or guidelines prefered altitudes of operation. As a winged flier, I know I'm fairly vissible at rooftop hight, but when I fly down as street level I'm always concerned I'm gonna get hit by a bus while zipping across an intersection or startle some poor motorist into swerving off of the roadway. At higher altitudes I'd like to take precautions against becoming the 'mother of all birdstrikes' when a jet comes blasting through at 500+ mph.
    HeroSteve wrote:
    I've never written anything about that specifically -- even in Millennium City, where superheroes are fairly thick on the ground, the number of people flying around is veeeeery low.

Assuming you wanted to establish something for your campaign, or that your campaign setting featured enormous numbers of superheroes (as in Top Ten), I'd imagine that laws regulating flying would derive partly from traffic laws (which we're all familiar with), and partly from air traffic control laws (which we're not). It's probably safe enough to "wing it' (ha, ha) by requiring commuting flyers to maintain a certain minimum altitude, to stick to established flight lanes, and to use traffic regs for things like passing.

Wanted to comment on this first- I have always been prone to believe that a Cosmic Powered being- Someone with a Cosmic Power Pool, was the reason that Superheroes never had or created accidents. That or it's a collective of CosPP beings. They could phase out the Heroes or influence them to turn a certain way without them ever realizing the effect was happening.

My question is;
    Is there ever going to be a time when we could see a True easy conversion between Online and PnP, so that even if we are not at our computers the game can continue in a PnP format and vice-verse?
    edited June 2012
    My question is;
    Is there ever going to be a time when we could see a True easy conversion between Online and PnP, so that even if we are not at our computers the game can continue in a PnP format and vice-verse?

CptPatriot has been working on a conversion system, though I tend to just eyeball the character and convert from there.
    edited June 2012
    Thundrax wrote:
    CptPatriot has been working on a conversion system, though I tend to just eyeball the character and convert from there.

That's what I would do, too. Stats wouldn't even convert over at all, since they mean completely different things in many cases between the two games.
    edited June 2012
    Thundrax wrote:
    Rune wrote:
    That's what I would do, too. Stats wouldn't even convert over at all, since they mean completely different things in many cases between the two games.

Generally speaking, my conversion system was only involving converting powers, but as I progressed, I decided that there wasn't enough interest in straight conversions though I could help with any conversion needs you have. My way of giving back to the community I've been blessed with being a part of these last twenty years.
    edited June 2012
    Are you interested in PnP conversions of CO Powers?
    edited June 2012
    A little question from me concerning the Outer Space Treaty's involvement in the Champions Universe.

No doubt this comes into play when you consider the amount of space stuff going on in Champions, what with Revenger having weaponized the moon, Destroyer exploring space without the intent on benefitting mankind, aliens of all sorts and UNTIL having a giant satellite and moonbase. But are there EXCEPTIONS to these international laws?

Can a hero get REGISTERED to have any form of weaponized moonbases? Do satellite lasers count as "conventional weapons"? Does UNTIL have special permissions to use weapons in space and on the moon?
    edited June 2012
    Sprawler wrote:
    A little question from me concerning the Outer Space Treaty's involvement in the Champions Universe.

No doubt this comes into play when you consider the amount of space stuff going on in Champions, what with Revenger having weaponized the moon, Destroyer exploring space without the intent on benefitting mankind, aliens of all sorts and UNTIL having a giant satellite and moonbase. But are there EXCEPTIONS to these international laws?

Can a hero get REGISTERED to have any form of weaponized moonbases? Do satellite lasers count as "conventional weapons"? Does UNTIL have special permissions to use weapons in space and on the moon?
    That is a really good question. I have never seen the Outer Space Treaty mentioned in the Champions line, with added focus for Champions Beyond which deals with space-related phenomenon, which would lead me to believe that this an angle of a set campaign best suited for the GM to decide and elaborate upon.

I'd believe that UNTIL has been authorized by the UN to freely act in space, which could possibly expand for them dealing with all sort of happenings around Earth and the Solar System. UNTIL, specifically Project Stargazer, is probably instructed with handling the presence of superhumans/aliens/whatever you could think of in such an area.

If some authority would possess some degree of influence and power to truly make an individual be forced to register such kind of bases, my bet would be on UNTIL (although the hero could be working with some major government which may allow for specific cases, but since I am not aware of the extent of such laws, fictional or not, there is little I can directly point to, although most nations are on good terms with UNTIL).

I doubt satellite lasers (especially when under the control of a villain) would be considered "conventional weapons" but the definition can change when the superhuman element of the CU comes into play, the fact that countries such as the US possess technological resources beyond those of smaller, less-developed, countries could also give birth to some controversy over what counts as a "conventional weapon" for each country, given their resources and military power.

Unfortunately, that's how much I can get, if it's of any use. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong and/or give further instruction on the theme. Hope I helped.