Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Posts: 1,156,071 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    Double post. :o
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Did Dr. Moreau create any female Manimals?
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Yes. Hidden Lands names a few, including Sister Mole and Sister Nutria, who live at Beast Mountain in the Ukraine, and Lynx, who's become a singing star in Japan. ;)

Most of the manimals are inter-fertile, but pregnancies are rare and difficult, so the Beast Mountain community is slowly dying out.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    I seem to recall Steve posting something about 9-11 specifically somewhere, but I couldn't find it and don't want to risk misquoting him; so I'll shut up and let him answer that if he chooses.

What I've said in the past (and will continue to say going forward) is this: I don't have anything to say about it. Somehow that just seems... wrong. It seems like it would cheapen the whole event to fictionalize it. So I'd rather just say "it happened in the CU" and let individual GMs deal with it in whatever way they're the most comfortable.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    So I'm trying to put a concept for a new character together and I have several questions about my ideas:

1. Is the name 'Wormwood' already taken by a canon character?

2. Can a common Brother of Initiate defect from DEMON or is there some kind of magical failsafe which kills or maybe mind-wipes them?

3. Would it be possible for a DEMON Brother or Initiate to somehow discover some of DEMON's more nasty secrets? *Spoiler* The fact that they worship Qliphoth instead of Hell, Luther Black's existance and real goal, the masterplan to sacrifice the whole cult for example *Spoiler*

4. Are there persons or organizations which specialize in the retrieval, hunting and trading of mystical relics and artifacts in the CU?

Thanks in advance!
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    So I'm trying to put a concept for a new character together and I have several questions about my ideas:

Most of the following info comes from DEMON: Servants Of Darkness.
    1. Is the name 'Wormwood' already taken by a canon character?

My researches make me pretty confident that it isn't. Note that "Wormwood" is the name of the meteorite that poisons the Earth in the biblical Apocalypse, and which Luther Black has identified with the Hellstone, the terrible conjured weapon with which the Circle of the Scarlet Moon killed the last Archmage in 1908. For these reasons Black searches for it.
    2. Can a common Brother of Initiate defect from DEMON or is there some kind of magical failsafe which kills or maybe mind-wipes them?

No magical failsafe, although tests and screenings for corruptibility and obedience are pretty rigorous. The induction of a new Brother does include an (apparent) human sacrifice, implicating said Brother in a capital crime, as an additional hold over him.
    (It's actually an illusion, though -- DEMON can't afford the attention drawn by murdering someone every time it inducts a Brother.)

However, one of the Inner Circle members, Demoiselle Nocturne, controls monstrous dream-creatures called Night Terrors, which search the dreams of DEMON's members for signs of betrayal or the influence of other supernatural entities.
    3. Would it be possible for a DEMON Brother or Initiate to somehow discover some of DEMON's more nasty secrets? *Spoiler* The fact that they worship Qliphoth instead of Hell, Luther Black's existance and real goal, the masterplan to sacrifice the whole cult for example *Spoiler*

The circumstances would have to be truly extraordinary.
    Luther Black has been very careful to insulate the lower ranks of DEMON from knowledge of the real purpose of the organization, feeding them false doctrine, as well as isolating them from more knowledgeable occultists. Even the Morbanes aren't told the true nature of the five gods to whom DEMON is dedicated. The Inner Circle has some knowledge of the Qliphoth and the Kings of Edom, but no clue as to Luther Black's ultimate plan. The lower ranks have heard only of the Inner Circle as the leaders of DEMON. The Morbanes know rumors about an ultimate leader, but no specifics. The Inner Circle have never met Luther Black, and know him only by the name "the Edomite." In fact in the PnP game background, no one has even uttered the name "Luther Black" in public in decades.

In the Mystic World subculture the word is out that DEMON serves something worse than demons from the Netherworld, but few occult scholars have connected them to you-know-who, and no one outside of Black's Inverted Trinity has a clue about his grand plan.

Mind you, all of this info predates the second Demonflame as presented in Champions Online. Those events may have spread more information.

May I suggest a possible triggering event for your character? For an earlier incarnation of DEMON, preceding current official continuity, a member of DEMON fled the organization after experiencing a precognitive vision (from an unexplained cause) of its members being consumed in a terrible conflagration.
    4. Are there persons or organizations which specialize in the retrieval, hunting and trading of mystical relics and artifacts in the CU?

Certainly there are many mystics who seek relics and artifacts to enhance their own power, although I've yet to see a reference to someone trading any of these acquisitions. However,
    one of the Inner Circle members leads a special branch of DEMON (outside of the Brother/ Initiate/ Morbane hierarchy) called "the Wandering Magi," who are tasked with locating occult artifacts, and researching the backgrounds and properties of relics and magic power sites, which DEMON can acquire or put to use.
    Thanks in advance!

I hope that was of some help.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Speaking of Moreau, I have a character that is a ma'amphibian (a clever pun, IMO XD) Have there been many reptilian or amphibian experiments?
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Speaking of Moreau, I have a character that is a ma'amphibian (a clever pun, IMO XD) Have there been many reptilian or amphibian experiments?

Can't speak to how many, but there have certainly been some. Hidden Lands mentions a beast-man called Snake who left Beast Mountain to become a supervillain based in Los Angeles. Specific to your concept, the Monster Island sourcebook includes a template for Moreau's "Frog-Man": "Only about two-thirds average human height and covered by warty, greenish skin, the Frog-Man has bulbous, frog-like eyes and short webbing between its fingers and its toes. Moreau uses them mainly as couriers, spies, and house-servants." (MI p. 79)
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Something that has always made me feel a bit off when using it in RP has to be the fact that I have no idea what Zombie Apocalypse would be In Character wise, a simulation of sorts? I have been reluctant to use it but I would like to.

So what is it?
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Thank you, LL.

Careful, spoilers below.

My thoughts were about this: My character was a Brother, let's say Initiate in Demonhame somewhere in Europe. He wasn't a too powerful mage, so advancing further in the organization was out of the question for him. He was excellent with enchanting and handling the Profane Regalia though, so he was kept in charge of the artifact and relic storage of his Demonhame.

Now the Morbane of his Demonhame was one of the few DEMON members who witnessed and survived Luther Black's ritual with the Basilisk Orb in 1968. He saw the power of the orb and wanted to craft such an item for himself. Of course he didn't suceed and his version was just a shallow imitation of the true orb. Embarassed and wary of his ultimate master's suspicions he hid his orb deep in his Demonhame.

That's where my character stumbled upon it one day during a regular stock-taking. He tries to determine it's purpose and it floods him with a vision of the coming future concerning Luther Black and his plan. Since he has been lied to (and he does not want to be sacrificed), he leaves DEMON while taking as many relics and artifacts with him as he can. His Morbane finds out about the revelation his 'Basilisk Orb' gave to my character, but wants it kept hidden, so the upper echelons of DEMON dont find out about his attempt to copy Luther.

He manages to curse my character with a curse of silence though. So now my character knows about DEMON's true nature but cant tell anyone more about it than something along the lines of "DEMON is really much more than it appears to be" or "DEMON has a terrible plan for the future". So he set himself out to battle DEMON himself with his knowledge of artifacts and relics and gave himself the name Wormwood to mock Black's plan. He also became a relic hunter and -merchant to finance his own personal crusade. In battle he still uses the Profane Regalia he handcrafted mostly, but also some other artifacts from his travels he has kept for himself.

Spoilers end here.

Is this viable or is there some error in my logic here? Thanks in advance!
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Pyrolun wrote:
    Something that has always made me feel a bit off when using it in RP has to be the fact that I have no idea what Zombie Apocalypse would be In Character wise, a simulation of sorts? I have been reluctant to use it but I would like to.

So what is it?

The so-called "Zombie Apocalypse" was
    the fallout from the attempt by the undead scientist villain Necrull to use the spiritual energies of the ancient Indian burial ground known today as Burial Butte to perfect his Necrullitic Elixir, essentially a "cure for death."

I'm not sure what you're asking for in relation to this, though. Did you want to use it as a character origin? An experience your PC went through that you'd like to recount for RP purposes?
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Is this viable or is there some error in my logic here? Thanks in advance!
    Well, if the Morbane who created the faux-Orb hasn't thought about it in recent decades, it's possible that knowledge of it could have escaped the Edomite's attention. After the events surrounding Wormwood's defection, though, between the Soul Gem and the Night Terrors it's very likely that Black would discover the situation eventually, kill the Morbane, and hunt Wormwood to eliminate him.

Again, though, it's unclear what the recent Demonflame adventure in CO has changed in the hierarchy and operations of DEMON. If the organization is in turmoil Wormwood may have become a low priority.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Yeah, I should have properly clarified what I had meant.

The PvP Zombie Apocalypse game/mini-game, say your character was famous for his participation in the hero games but mainly for his participation in the Zombie Apocalypse hero game.

What would the Zombie Apocalypse hero game be in lore?

This might be what you were referring to in your post, but I am a bit of an idiot so it may be dragged on by my lack of communication skills through text. :P
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Ah, I see. I'm afraid I can't help you with that one. The Hero Games are purely a meta-game construct by Cryptic Studios to allow PvP contests. In the lore of the PnP Champions Universe there is no structured hero-versus-hero competition, and even if the setting allowed for such things the Zombie Apocalypse would be an extremely inappropriate venue for one.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Thanks! I had thought so.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Ah, yes. Thank you very much LL.

Concerning Zombie Apocalypse, I always tend to pretend that it's a highly advanced simulation just to get the viewers. Kinda like the 'brutal' wrestling of Hero Games. :D
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Ah, yes. Thank you very much LL.

Concerning Zombie Apocalypse, I always tend to pretend that it's a highly advanced simulation just to get the viewers. Kinda like the 'brutal' wrestling of Hero Games. :D

IMHO there are some things about Champions Online, and other electronic RPGs, that you just have to accept as part and parcel of a game, because from the perspective of a living world their logic doesn't withstand close scrutiny. ;)

And you're welcome. :)
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Are the manimals capable of having superpowers or using magic, such as shamanism?
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Hey, Quick question.

I wonder in the sixth edition is Motor City Defenders still active? They were some pretty cool kids. I understand Nova is still active and Arcane was clear (Good for him!). What happen to Homeroom Alpha as well?
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Loganius wrote:
    Are the manimals capable of having superpowers or using magic, such as shamanism?
    I have not checked any source (tried Hidden Lands and the 6th Champs Universe) but found no mention to shamanism or superpowers(altho manimals are at least stronger than the average human), I'll just say that since they're living beings (if they even need to be) they can practice sorcery and the like, Moreau's experiments may also have created "improved" manimals who possess some uncanny ability even for them (Doctor SIlverback is at least very intelligent).
    Hey, Quick question.

I wonder in the sixth edition is Motor City Defenders still active? They were some pretty cool kids. I understand Nova is still active and Arcane was clear (Good for him!). What happen to Homeroom Alpha as well?

I have not found any mention on Champs Universe regarding the former team, but Ravenswood still exists in the 6th edition so Homeroom Alpha probably still exists lore wise.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Loganius wrote:

Many manimals are by default "superhuman" -- stronger, faster, tougher than human, with natural weaponry or other abilities appropriate to their root species. Dr. Moreau's monstrous hybrid creation, the Hyena-Swine, is much more powerful than any other manimal except Qwyjibo; and the accidental creation of the latter suggests that manimals can be subject to further mutation.

There's no tradition of magic use among the manimals, however, so no precedent as to whether any of them could have innate talent for it.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Hey, Quick question.

I I have not found any mention on Champs Universe regarding the former team, but Ravenswood still exists in the 6th edition so Homeroom Alpha probably still exists lore wise.

Neither could I find a reference to the MCD beyond Teen Champions. Ravenswood Academy is still active, so it's probably safe to assume that Homerooms Alpha through Gamma still exist as institutions. But as the academy's original description in TC was published in 2005, and Homeroom Gamma were scheduled to graduate in 2009, Ravenswood would have an entirely different body of super-students today.

No mention as to the fates of Homeroom Alpha Class of 2006, either.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    ...Hmm, I wonder if I can simply update them and bring them toward 2012.

Also, Does Witchcraft still have familer, from the Everyman book
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    ...Hmm, I wonder if I can simply update them and bring them toward 2012.

If it's for use in your own PnP campaign, I don't see why not. :)
    Also, Does Witchcraft still have familer, from the Everyman book

Sunshine the cat is no longer listed as a DNPC on Witchcraft's 6E character sheet, but 6E characters generally have fewer Disadvantages/Complications than in earlier editions of the game. OTOH Sunshine is still mentioned in the background text for the Champions headquarters, Homestead, in the 6E Champions genre book. So I'm inclined to say, "Yes."
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Thinking of the MCD, were at Luther Black again: *Spoiler* Did Barnstormer stop Wormwood (The comet, not my relic hunting ex-DEMON member) from crashing into Earth or not? *Spoiler*
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Thinking of the MCD, were at Luther Black again: *Spoiler* Did Barnstormer stop Wormwood (The comet, not my relic hunting ex-DEMON member) from crashing into Earth or not? *Spoiler*

No PnP book has come out dealing with any of those foretold 2012 events. But again, the Demonflame event in Champions Online pre-empted how Black's scheme was supposed to go down, so only the CO devs could say what the situation is now.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    All right, I got another one:

Why do everyone believe that Shadow Destroyer was the Real Dr. D? I thought it was established that Dr. Destroyer hates Magic (because the jerk couldn't understand it).
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    aside from mechanon what other robotic threats are there. I've ran out of idea's for nemesis's for my super soldier and i want to stay away from magic. my PNP game is suffering as we have ran out of idea and we want to get away from magic and mutants. I did purchase the newest lore books but they don't fit the time era.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    How about the Warlord?

He have a small army and even a team of super villians.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    All right, I got another one:

Why do everyone believe that Shadow Destroyer was the Real Dr. D? I thought it was established that Dr. Destroyer hates Magic (because the jerk couldn't understand it).

Not so much that he couldn't understand it (although that might be a factor, but he'd never admit it), but because he considers it too unreliable compared to the creations of science.

When Shadow Destroyer proclaimed his presence to Champions Earth in 2002, he claimed to be Dr. Destroyer returned, probably hoping to take advantage of DD's reputation. From the start many authorities on Destroyer doubted that Shadow D was really him, mainly for the reason you cite.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    aside from mechanon what other robotic threats are there. I've ran out of idea's for nemesis's for my super soldier and i want to stay away from magic. my PNP game is suffering as we have ran out of idea and we want to get away from magic and mutants. I did purchase the newest lore books but they don't fit the time era.

Well, for an independent, purely robotic villain, there's Syzygy (Champions Villains Vol. 3), a powerful and sophisticated sapient robot (although not in Mechanon's weight class) which is programmed to subjugate the human race. However, the rest of Syzygy's programming was damaged by some accident. It doesn't remember where it comes from or what created it, and seeks to learn the truth.
    Syzygy is actually an advance scout for the X'endron Network (described in Champions Beyond), an alien "civilization" of artificial intelligences which seeks to conquer and rule all "inferior" organic beings.

If you tell us more about what you want in a nemesis, and the "time era" you're referring to, we might be able to offer other suggestions. There are several possibilities, particularly if cyborgs would work for you as well as robots.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    How about the Warlord?

He have a small army and even a team of super villains.

Probably the next major tech-using master villain after Destroyer and Mechanon. Since his forces are run like a military operation, there might be a potential tie-in to Kennysimmons' "super soldier."
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Probably the next major tech-using master villain after Destroyer and Mechanon. Since his forces are run like a military operation, there might be a potential tie-in to Kennysimmons' "super soldier."

Right, he can get warmonger and wardog to be the next villians!

Okay, there is no Wardog, but trust me: If there were one, he would be a Cydog with a laser cannon on it's back.

Get that dog a laser cannon, dog loves laser cannons.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Quick question(s) about the Roin'esh in CO, as I'm making one and wondering if there's anything I need to follow:

Is there a Roin'esh language?
    In Whiteout 5 you can hear the Roin'esh talking English to each other, as well as to your character. I was wondering if that meant there was no unique language, or whether they just didn't use it.

How are they named?
    A friend of mine who was in the Roin'esh Resistance SG for some time told me that they were named using a similar system to how the Quarians are named in the Mass Effect universe (given name, family name, ship name). However, RR was a player-maintained SG, so I'm not exactly trusting it for canonical accuracy here.

That's all for now. Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Rhundas wrote:
    Is there a Roin'esh language?
    Checked both Champions Beyond and Galactic Champions (which I believe is 5th edition?), both have details on the Roin'Esh but mention no language of their own. The Gadroon in-game do speak English, however. The Qullar speak in that coded language, but in the default NPC chat you can see what they are saying. It could be simply for the heroes/players to understand them or the like. If they are to speak in some language the most likely candidate is Malvan.
    Rhundas wrote:
    How are they named?
    Did not find any info on this subject, found two Roin'Esh named Kovarl and another character known as Halberdier, but this last one is a codename. Such system could be used but since there is no official mention on the subject that gives some creative freedom.

Hope I helped.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Exactly what I needed to know. Thanks so much.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    All right, I got a new one.

Does anyone got more info on Testuronin and CharmGirl? They're both are Japanese superheroes and Iwant to portray them right. Anything like Looks, or quotes to get a feel on their personaity?
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    All right, I got a new one.

Does anyone got more info on Testuronin and CharmGirl? They're both are Japanese superheroes and I want to portray them right. Anything like Looks, or quotes to get a feel on their personaity?

Both can be found on Champions Worldwide.

Charm Girl is a little like Saphire, her personality fits the hero-in-making kind of character, she's commited to good and justice but remains a celebrity. She seems to be a light-hearted honest purely good person, even if she is still trying to adjust to the whole super business. She also dedicates her time to discovering her real parents who have an unusual twist in them.

Tetsuronin is one of the world's greatest heroes, using a powered armor considered to be one of the most advanced in the planet. He is Japan's foremost superhuman defender and acts like a "normal" hero does, putting the lives of others above his own and doing everything he can to help the world. His scientific knowledge is up top with the likes of Defender and Doctor Silverback.

Tetsuronin uses a samurai-like suit of armor, it has a large chest plate with a dragon in it, a costume-creator version of him appeared recently in this thread . Charm Girl is a "typical" girl, and one does not easily identify her super human talents since she's "average"

Not very complete but not sure of what do add without purely copying the book.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Charm Girl, I mostly got right (Teen, poppular strong as Golden age Superman) Looks like I'm writing a new story.

Also, I actually DO have champions worldwide.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Are there many heroes based out of the southern states?
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Guess it depends on what you mean by "many." ;)

Besides the heroes of Vibora Bay, there are superhero teams in Houston (The Hero Corps, five members), and Miami (The Watch, five members), plus solo heroes in Houston, Atlanta, and New Orleans. These are only the heroes mentioned by name in Champions Universe Sixth Edition; there may very well be more. And of course there are plenty more named in other parts of the US.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Whatever happened to Nighthawk?

I know why and how he left the champions, it's just where he head off to?
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Nighthawk founded his own covert superteam, dubbed Project Mongoose, specifically to hunt and harass VIPER. Most of its members are heroes or "grey" villains who have particular enmity against VIPER, like Nighthawk himself.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    If we're getting a grittier section of MC coming soon, I would not be surprised to see Nighthawk appear in game. ;) Keep your eyes peeled and watch the shadows.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    how about any kind of paranormal investigating superteams or the likes?
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Superteam specializing in the paranormal? Hmm... closest thing to that would probably be The Night watch, an informal group of four mystic heroes from Britain who band together to fight supernatural evil. If you're not talking superhuman-level power, the Trismegistus Council is a worldwide association of benevolent occult scholars who study and watch for supernatural threats, and often act as a resource for magic-based heroes.

Many superteams have a mystic member or two, and some organizations have specialized branches for dealing with the paranormal, e.g. UNTIL's Project Hermes task force.

EDIT: I had to separate "Nigh****ch" into two words due to the profanity filter. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    I'd bet that the IHA also would go after paranormal targets if it benefits them and they have any chance of success.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    The Institute for Human Advancement's primary target is superhuman genetic mutants, and secondarily any other superhumans that support them. So yes, if one of the latter happened to be magical the IHA would at the very least feel justified in going through him or her to get to a mutant target. But what's been revealed about the IHA so far makes it seem they're not really trained or equipped to hunt magic-using opponents.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Is Tappan Arkwright III canonically still alive, assuming he exists in the PnP game and was not just created for the purposes of the CO lore?
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Tappan is from the PnP game, years before Champions Online. But the last time he was referred to in a published Champions book was in 2004, so what his status might be today, that side of the IP is currently silent on.