test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

FAQ for Playing Champions Online with the XBOX360 Controller

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Posts: 1,156,071 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    I'm using Windows XP SP3. I've downloaded the software. When I hook up the controller nada happens. Windows recognizes the controller, but I can't control anything. The connection window with the XBox controller SW does not recognize that I have it connected. I'm using a wireless controller with a wire to the PC so I'm not sure if that would be my problem. Everything loads, even using MS's worthless troubleshooter has yielded no solutions (Big surprise!).

The controller is lit up as if charging and the wire is lit up as well. Any ideas?
    edited September 2009
    Aeolwind wrote:
    I'm using Windows XP SP3. I've downloaded the software. When I hook up the controller nada happens. Windows recognizes the controller, but I can't control anything. The connection window with the XBox controller SW does not recognize that I have it connected. I'm using a wireless controller with a wire to the PC so I'm not sure if that would be my problem. Everything loads, even using MS's worthless troubleshooter has yielded no solutions (Big surprise!).

The controller is lit up as if charging and the wire is lit up as well. Any ideas?

Unfortunately the USB cable is just for charging and does not sync the controller with your PC .. you need a wired controller or a wireless receiver for the PC….check out some of the posts here, some real useful stuff once you have sorted out that issue.
    edited September 2009
    I am trying to map this to the left dpad

/bind Dpad_Left camoffset 1 and its not working.

I have successfullly remapped RB to nearest target and right stick button to next target but I cannot get Left Dpad to map to anything.

Are we sure the designations is Dpad_Left?
    edited September 2009

I have successfullly remapped RB to nearest target and right stick button to next target but I cannot get Left Dpad to map to anything.

edited September 2009
    Someone else found these settings :

/cam_pitch_speed #
    /cam_yaw_speed #

change the "#" and you can move your camera around faster. He is using 5, which is very fast, I have tried some other speeds, and it is a nice adjustment when using the 360 controller. I am probably going to use 2 or 3 myself for now.

http://forums.champions-online.com/showthread.php?p=997381#post997381
    edited September 2009

edited September 2009
    bsmith239 wrote:

I’m not to sure but I believe there may be an issue assigning to the d-pad atm (EDIT: nope it has been done, i just haven't tried it yet..maybe we can hear from someone who has) ….I am going to put forth a query regarding bind commands in this up and coming “Devchat” (sept. 10th 4:30 pm PDT) here is the link where we can list our queries in advanced. (on second thought I will try and nut this one out myself, I will get back to you asap)

Devchat forum thread

Sorry I couldn’t help on this one!
    edited September 2009
    Yup, tried this one out myself and I can't figure out what the game calls are for DPad_Left. Matter of fact, I can't figure out what the game calls are for any of the DPad directionals. I tried looking at the bind_save_file but it only list the commands that you have changed. If there wasn't a change to a button that has been assigned by default, bind_save_file will not list that button or command in the saved config file. If the devs can help identify what the buttons and controls are called in the config file, we can change the commands given to them by default. This would help out alot in customizing the controls for the game pad.
    edited September 2009
    Ruzul wrote:
    Unfortunately the USB cable is just for charging and does not sync the controller with your PC .. you need a wired controller or a wireless receiver for the PC….check out some of the posts here, some real useful stuff once you have sorted out that issue.

Perfect! I'd narrowed my issue down to that....just gonna get a wired controller! =D

Thanks very much.
    edited September 2009
    I submitted a bug report on the quest rewards not appearing after testing it and having it occur again on another character. I did it on a different quest in the tutorial on a different character. Afterwards i submitted a bug report. I titled the issue "Quest Rewards not received when using Xbox360 controller." and put it under other. If anyone else wants to test it basically all you have to get to is just do the mission in the tutorial where they just give you the primary defense.
    edited September 2009
    Added a couple of updates on the main thread about todays patch changes that affects the controller and also added a great thread from HoboAnarki. It has great info on how to remap the controls and axis on the controller with bind commands.

HoboAnarki's 360 controller thread
    edited September 2009
    bsmith239 wrote:

Dpad_Left is Joypad_Left - Up and Down - Confirmed
    360 controller with FPS style targeting
    edited September 2009
    Does HoboAnarki's solution alleviate the problem of having to remove your right thumb from the analog stick? In the default controller, it's really tough to both look/move and time moves properly with having to keep moving my right thumb from the stick to the face buttons. My natural tendency is to use the trigger for the primary action, but the reality is that there are simply too many moves and key strokes for triggers NOT to be some kind of shift.

What are some of the solutions out there?
    edited September 2009
    Does HoboAnarki's solution alleviate the problem of having to remove your right thumb from the analog stick? In the default controller, it's really tough to both look/move and time moves properly with having to keep moving my right thumb from the stick to the face buttons. My natural tendency is to use the trigger for the primary action, but the reality is that there are simply too many moves and key strokes for triggers NOT to be some kind of shift.

What are some of the solutions out there?

you could have the right trigger setup to fire an alias and have various ways (have the buttons redefine that alias or swap them with bind_local ).
    edited September 2009
    Link in my signature can also be used to remap XBox 360 controls to anything you want instead of being stuck with Cryptic's control scheme
    edited September 2009
    Link in my signature can also be used to remap XBox 360 controls to anything you want instead of being stuck with Cryptic's control scheme

The .INI file output from the installation of your config is what we needed to find out all the game calls from the controller to CO. Thanks for this input ShadowDrakken!.

Now the question is, if you change the control scheme inthe .INI does the change reflect with the GUI in game?

In other words, if I change the "X" button to the "A" button to execute PowerTray_1 will it show up in the UI as having the "A" button next to PowerTray_1?
    edited September 2009
    Neeyon wrote:
    The .INI file output from the installation of your config is what we needed to find out all the game calls from the controller to CO. Thanks for this input ShadowDrakken!.

Now the question is, if you change the control scheme inthe .INI does the change reflect with the GUI in game?

In other words, if I change the "X" button to the "A" button to execute PowerTray_1 will it show up in the UI as having the "A" button next to PowerTray_1?

No, the UI will still show it as (X), it's just that the controller will send (X) when you press (A) instead of when you press (X)
    edited September 2009
    No, the UI will still show it as (X), it's just that the controller will send (X) when you press (A) instead of when you press (X)

Got it. Basically a complete remapping can be accomplished by renaming the game functions through the XBOXce.ini but the in game GUI will not reflect this remapping. Easy enough....now just have to get used to some new control schemes.

If you guys manage to come up with a better control scheme, go ahead and post it here and we'll see what we can come up with. :D

Important note: Just make sure to make a copy of your original XBOXce.ini before you go tweaking around in it just in case you "break" something.
    edited September 2009
    hey guys...im a mmo/most pc games noob...and was just wondering.. is it possible to play without using the mouse an keyboard at ALL..???? only xbox controller..??
    edited September 2009
    I tried the link to Microsoft's drivers for wireless xbox 360 controller, but a download link doesn't seem to be displayed.

Can anyone confirm this link works? If so, any ideas why I wouldn't see it? I've tried accessing it with both Firefox and IE.

=============
    Corollary:

I never did find the drivers to download, but I did get a successful update of the device drivers using the Control Panel:
    System - Device Manager - Microsoft Common Controller for Windows Class - Update Driver Software - Automatic Install

One of the first times I've ever had that function work for me... go figure.
    edited September 2009
    OK, small issue. The controller works fine...except for using powers. My tray shows X, Y, and B, but pressing those buttons does absolutely nothing. I can target fine, move around, activate my travel power, but my fighting power buttons won't do a dang thing. Any idea on what I need to do?
    edited September 2009
    Sorry for double post. Ok, figured something out...It works whenever I put em in anything but the first 3 slots. Tried switching em out and putting em back in the first 3 slots and still nothing. I don't get it... Did anyone have these problems?
    edited September 2009
    Sorry for double post. Ok, figured something out...It works whenever I put em in anything but the first 3 slots. Tried switching em out and putting em back in the first 3 slots and still nothing. I don't get it... Did anyone have these problems?

Very odd..just out of curiosity have you changed the key bindings via the options menu, if so this is most likely the problem as controller users are unable to use this feature at this stage. Try resetting your key bindings to default.

If this is not the case (i.e. haven’t changed bindings), sorry I’m not sure what the issue is.

P.s. You are able to set limited bindings via the /bind command look for the link at the bottom of the OP
    edited September 2009
    hey guys...im a mmo/most pc games noob...and was just wondering.. is it possible to play without using the mouse an keyboard at ALL..???? only xbox controller..??

At this stage no (for me anyway), I currently am still using the keyboard and mouse for chatting and quest reward selections...hopefully thought through patches the need for them will diminish
    edited September 2009
    Haven't read the rest of the forums to see if it was on here, but does the 360 control still not work in PvP. Every time I tried to play in a PvP match, the control stops responding or at times the only thing you can do is just move forward & back.
    edited September 2009
    I went out this week and got the 360 windows controller.. WOW.. it makes the game SOOOO much more enjoyable.
    edited September 2009
    and yes in PvP it works like a champ. But you do have to hit the start button then B to unlock when it happens
    edited September 2009
    @ ShadowBlaze ... Yes that happened to me but I fixed it. I had to go into keybindings and hit Reset to deafault and it cleared up whatever was causing that... at least for me.
    edited September 2009
    How do you know to download a 32 bit or a 64 bit driver? >.>
    It may seem like a stupid question, but I know next to nothing about computers....

(Edit: I found it. Yahoo answers ftw xDD)
    edited September 2009
    How do you know to download a 32 bit or a 64 bit driver? >.>
    It may seem like a stupid question, but I know next to nothing about computers....

If you run a 64 bit operating system you require the 64 bit drivers...if you are unsure of what OS your running just check by going to your control panel, then navigate to "performance and maintenance" then within there go to "system" it will tell you what your OS is in there … most 64 bit OS has 64 after its name (I’m pretty sure Windows 7 is 64 bit as well) e.g. Windows XP 64..or something like that
    edited September 2009
    I think I found it...thanks for the help everyone.
    edited September 2009
    Has anyone tried healing in a group setting with the controller?

Seems like it would be relatively complicated to switch targets reliably and quickly to prevent deaths with timely heals.
    edited September 2009
    xzenorath wrote:
    Has anyone tried healing in a group setting with the controller?

Seems like it would be relatively complicated to switch targets reliably and quickly to prevent deaths with timely heals.

You're right there is no button assignments currently assigned for each Teammate position. But there can be if you are willing to sacrifice some button assignments for your group.

A guildie asked me a couple of days ago requesting the same thing that you have. My suggestion was to remap Joypad_left+<button> for each teammate position, since remapping Joypad_left does not really interfere with anything.

The command will be (I am not sure if the first teammate number is 1 or 0, I think it's 1)

Joypad_left+XB "Target_Teammate 1"
    Joypad_left+YB "Target_Teammate 2"
    Joypad_left+BB "Target_Teammate 3"
    Joypad_left+AB "Target_Teammate 4"

You can even add an extra function so that by pressing the above combo's you will target that teammate and perform your heal. Just add the following command at the end of each command line:

Joypad_left+XB "Target_Teammate 1$$+PowerTrayExec <#>"

Just make sure to put the number of your heal power in the <#> position.

Let me know how it works!
    edited September 2009
    I'd have to give it a shot. What about the "1st person shooter" controls that seem to work very well as far as offense goes... could you use this with a setup that allows you to simply "look" directly at a teammate and then use whatever heal/buff you have?

Edit: Actually this may prove to be difficult if you need to keep track on your teammates whereabouts while keeping an eye on their HP bars and then figuring out which one is where.

I think your setup is a better idea. Thanks!
    edited September 2009
    New Info to add to FAQ:

Right trigger and Left Trigger are a Single Axis not 2 buttons (button use with them involves using Virtual Buttons covering an area of the Axis range).

- prefix can be used to turn off a power ex.:
    Ltrigger+Ab "+up$$-PowerTrayExec 16" will turn off block on 1st press then jump on 2nd press. There's currently an anomaly in command behavior - if you reverse the order the jump will Never fire.

After some experimentation it appears that PowerTrayExec <1st field> <2nd Field> and the + / ++ prefix works like

+PowerTrayExec {Slot #} -- updates with Key_down and Key_Up events.
    ++PowerTrayExec {Input=Slot#} {input=Slot#} -- 1st field functions as above - 2nd fields updates with either Key_Down or Key_Up not both and there's a delay. For your own evaluation use PowerTrayExec 0 <Slot #> to see for yourself - didn't check if it repeats.
    while
    -PowerTrayExec <Slot #> -- unconditionally turns off the slot # power.
    --PowerTrayExec is unrecognised.
    edited September 2009
    New Info to add to FAQ:

Right trigger and Left Trigger are a Single Axis not 2 buttons (button use with them involves using Virtual Buttons covering an area of the Axis range).

- prefix can be used to turn off a power ex.:
    Ltrigger+Ab "+up$$-PowerTrayExec 16" will turn off block on 1st press then jump on 2nd press. There's currently an anomaly in command behavior - if you reverse the order the jump will Never fire.

After some experimentation it appears that PowerTrayExec <1st field> <2nd Field> and the + / ++ prefix works like

+PowerTrayExec {Slot #} -- updates with Key_down and Key_Up events.
    ++PowerTrayExec {Input=Slot#} {input=Slot#} -- 1st field functions as above - 2nd fields updates with either Key_Down or Key_Up not both and there's a delay. For your own evaluation use PowerTrayExec 0 <Slot #> to see for yourself - didn't check if it repeats.
    while
    -PowerTrayExec <Slot #> -- unconditionally turns off the slot # power.
    --PowerTrayExec is unrecognised.

Are you saying that we can activate two tray slots with ++PowerTrayExec <#> <#> ? Wow, if that's the case, this is definitely a great find! I can't confirm the above as I am at work :(

Okay lemme see if I understand it correctly using a commonly used power, Flight on travel power 1 (Powertrayexec 14).

+Powertrayexec 14 -- will do what we normally expect when we activate this button
    • <tap> or <key_down> event will activate the power at normal speed.
    • <charge> or <key_held down> will power up the Travel power and release at <key_up> event.
    ++powertrayexec 14 15--will function as above
    • and then upon release of the key will activate your second travel power. (can't confirm as I am not in game).

If this works as I understand it, this will open up a whole new way of scripting binds far superior to what we had in City of Heroes/Villains.

I can't wait to try this out later. On a side note, have you been able to get ent_keybinds.txt to load an ALIAS script automatically? I have a flight/costume change script written and it works properly but I have to copy/paste it into the console each time at log in to get it to work. It won't load from a .txt file. Very annoying.
    edited September 2009
    Travel Powers have the toggle built-in so ++ won't work with them. A lot of powers have various trigger effects hardbound to them. Ie. a Charge up power will always charge up and using anything but maintain (+) will cause it to fire at default or have issues firing.

Haven't tried mixing the slots yet. Just giving what info I have.

and no ++PowerTrayExec # # won't work (haven't tried) I imagine since the ++ will overwrite the # #. Either ++PowerTrayExec # or PowerTrayExec # # not both. The first # in PowerTrayExec may very well only trigger on Key_Down and Key_up event that cancels it may be controlled by something else (like control settings). Just useful if you want to unconditionally activate/toggle a power to either on/off. trying to mix powers in a single command could be useful for firing a power and toggling another, though it seems like that would be very situational specific and hard to configure.

No, alias in a double command cause me to CTD (if they use a bind or + commands) and individual alias entries in Keybind can't be called (either because its not read or we're not calling it correctly).
    edited September 2009
    Actually disregard what I said about powers having triggers built-in - I've only experimented using the tray.
    If you find a way around the tray restrictions let us know.
    edited September 2009
    Great info guys!

But i got a problem, i made ent_keybinds.txt and placed the lines :

cam_pitch_speed 5

cam_yaw_speed 5

in it but when i load up the game my controlls are still slow, it works when i type them but for some reason it wont use the txt file.

Any ideas?
    edited September 2009
    Ruzul wrote:
    Sorry, I haven't experienced this as I don’t use windows 7 but my bro does and this hasn’t happened to him before either, out of curiosity have you got other USB controllers/devices plugged into your computer. The reason I ask is I’m thinking the problem lies with these controllers/devices and not the 360 controller. If there are other devices plugged in ensure you have the updated windows 7 drivers for them if you haven’t already. In addition maybe revise which USB port they are plugged into (i.e. swap the 360 controller with the other device…I may just be clutching at straws with this one).

Honestly I’m not to sure why but I’m curious as to how you end up resolving it, please post when you have figured it out, sorry I couldn’t be much help on this one.

I think what it was was that I had recently played left for dead, and with steam open somehow the #1 slot was taken. After I closed all of that down, the controller seems to be coming up in the #1 spot and working consistently.
    edited September 2009
    By the way, not sure if this was mentioned, but if you have multiple interactions up, use the dpad to highlight the one you want, hold the right stick in ANY direction and press up on the dpad. This will select your highlighted choice. Maybe its a bug but it works for me every time and has become second nature... I don't even notice I'm flicking the right stick while I press up anymore.
    edited September 2009
    Ganjman71 wrote:
    Great info guys!

But i got a problem, i made ent_keybinds.txt and placed the lines :

cam_pitch_speed 5

cam_yaw_speed 5

in it but when i load up the game my controlls are still slow, it works when i type them but for some reason it wont use the txt file.

Any ideas?

Yes, keybinds file won't hold alias's. That info is not valid, at least not for me, and not right now. Neeyan may have got it working though. Otherwise I'd just say put <key> "cam_pitch_speed 5$$cam_yaw_speed 5" and press the key when you load up or attach it to an existing keybind that you use a lot.

Neeyan, New info regarding disabling powers in multiple commands - apparently someone got it working for healing - will post the link. You need to avoid using the prefix (+ ++ -) to allow the all the commands to fire (1 can have it no more).

JesterKnot's post
    Healing Interface

Just noticed this requires using Auto-Attack/Toggle setting and was only done with the Energy Builder.
    edited September 2009
    Useful info there, I am going to update the front page later this week with the stuff that we have discovered for earier reference.

In regards to cam settings that are not being loaded in ent_keybinds...I found out that ent_keybinds only loads keybinds as an initial command. Any line that is not preceded by a keybind command will not work in ent_keybinds. But you can embed a none keybind command in a button that you always use and the command will be executed.

Example: I use the right stick for targetting, so I can embed the cam setting there and it will always load without me having to bind it to another command

Rstick "target_enemy_near$$cam_pitch_speed 5$$cam_yaw_speed 5"

Not an elegant solution but it works.

That's another reason why aliases are not being loaded. But if you embed aliases in a button that you always use or a keybind then you can specifically load them.

Example:
    I bound my START button to switch target modes from:
    1: Enemy Nearest
    2: Cycle visible Enemy Targets
    3: Friend Nearest
    4: Cycle visible Friendly Targets

I put the command:

START "bind_load_file target1.txt"

made a file called target1.txt and in it:
    Rstick target_enemy_near$$bind Start bind_load_file target2.txt

target2.txt contains
    Rstick target_enemy_next$$bind Start bind_load_file target3.txt

target3.txt contains
    Rstick target_friend_near$$bind Start bind_load_file target4.txt

Finally target4.txt contains
    Rstick target_friend_near$$bind Start bind_load_file target1.txt

I have used the above format to make a 4 cycle zoom button and to change costumes and builds on the fly.

Since we haven't found a way to have aliases to autoload, calling config files with button binds seems to be the only way to rebind keys on the fly. There are two commands that I think should work in loading aliases and settings but I haven't gotten them to work:

bind_pop_profile <filename>
    bind_push_profile <filename>

If I find anything else interesting, I will post it here. Thanks for sharing your info guys! Keep it coming!
    edited September 2009
    Most likely (Cannot confirm and not willing to experiment because Push and Pop are old Stack commands and while I seriously doubt they would make something like that available to end-user, I'm not taking the chance that they did.)
    Bind_Pop_Profile and Bind_Push_Profile probably do the same thing as Bind_Load and Bind_Save except they Load and Save to Memory instead of a File. Pop probably = Read/Load and Push probably = Write/Save.

Probably is used to make combo key/buttons work

ie.
    Xb "bind_push_profile <base config>$$bind_pop_profile <x+button/key bindings>"

contents of Xbutonbindings
    Ab "command" comparable to Xb+Ab "command"
    Xb "bind_pop_profile <base config>" to restore setting on button release maybe (not sure if key/Button_Up event triggers a process)
    edited September 2009
    RichWPX wrote:
    By the way, not sure if this was mentioned, but if you have multiple interactions up, use the dpad to highlight the one you want, hold the right stick in ANY direction and press up on the dpad. This will select your highlighted choice. Maybe its a bug but it works for me every time and has become second nature... I don't even notice I'm flicking the right stick while I press up anymore.

Awesome, gotta try this out. Thanks Rich!
    edited September 2009
    hey, I just got this game this past weekend and I use the xbox 360 controller with very little problems, but my question is can I use the xbox 360 wireless mic with this game? Does anybody know?Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks!

-DevoCorum-
    edited September 2009
    DevoCorum wrote:
    hey, I just got this game this past weekend and I use the xbox 360 controller with very little problems, but my question is can I use the xbox 360 wireless mic with this game? Does anybody know?Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks!

-DevoCorum-

The game does not specifically support the headset but your should be able to enable through windows and use it just like any other mic. There's also settings that you can toggle through windows that will filter voice chat through the headset instead of your PC speakers. Not at my home PC at the moment so I can't tell you exactly how to enable that. It should be fairly simple IIRC.
    edited September 2009
    Hey thanks Neeyon, I appreciate the quick response... Yeah, it seems that I can hear through the xbox 360 wireless headset when I test it on Windows, but I can't "speak" through it... (I'm a computer NOOB) I tried recording through Sound Recorder and it didn't work... anyways, any help would be awesome... I'll keep tinkering with it tonight...
    DevoCorum
    edited September 2009
    What would be the best site to download the driver for XP pro?
    edited September 2009
    Neeyon wrote:

If you guys are interested, I can post my XPadder config later on (after I get home from work :( ). I completely remapped the DPAD_Left (since it does not call up any in game functions) to bring up the map, target nearest enemy, target nearest friendly, target nearest object, and Auto-Run.

Im interested Can you post it here or on the Xpadder Form under profiles,

Thanks want to look it over so I can learn how to work this think, and thanks for all you hard work on this.