test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

FAQ for Playing Champions Online with the XBOX360 Controller

Archived PostArchived Post Posts: 1,156,071 Arc User
edited November 2013 in Controls and Interface
(NOTE BY DAEKE: We are unable to provide official support for the Xbox 360 controller at this time. The information below is extremely helpful if you wish to use it, but bear in mind that some features may not work properly at this time.)

FAQ for Champions Online with the XBOX360 Controller or better known as How to Play Champions while sitting comfortably on the couch.

Okay so you probably heard that there is ingame support for the Xbox 360 Controller. Like me, you probably ran out to the nearest brick and mortar game store nearest you and purchased a nice and shiny (okay matte white is not shiny) 360 Controller. If you're lucky, the store has a used one that it is selling for a much cheaper price. I wasn't that lucky.

First things first, let's get the terms that we are going to be using out of the way.

Abbreviated Terms:

Ab, Bb, Xb, Yb = Self explanatory (A,B,X,Y buttons)
RTrigger = Right Trigger
Rb = Right Shoulder Button
LTrigger= Left Trigger
Lb = Left Shoulder Button
LStick = Left Stick Button
RStick = Right Stick Button
Joypad = Directional Pad
Joypad button = Directional Pad Button (no known game function)
start button = Options Menu
Select button = Close options

Known Controls (so far)

Rb = next target
LTrigger + Rb = prev target
RTrigger+ Rb = switch between hostile/friendly targetting
Lb + Rb = clear target
Lb + move RStick = switch target to next in that direction
Ab or Bb = Jump or if Flying Move up
RTrigger + Ab or RTrigger+Bb = Down
LStick = travel power 1
RTrigger+LStick = travel power 2
RStick = Zoom (Press again to cycle through 3 levels of Zoom)
RTrigger+LTrigger = Block
Xb or Yb or Bb = powers 0, 1, 2
LTrigger + Xb or Yb or Bb or Ab = Powers 3, 4, 5, 6
Lb + X or Yb or Bb or Ab = Powers 7, 8, 9, 10
RTrigger + Xb or Yb or Bb = Powers 11, 12, 13
Joypad_Right + Xb or Yb or Bb or Ab or Rb = Devices 0, 1, 2, 3, 4
Joypad_Down + Xb or Yb or Bb or Ab = switch build to Offensive, Defensive, Balanced, Support
Joypad_Up = Interact (With Keyboard/Mouse controls it is known as hitting the "Z" key on Keyboard)
Joypad_Left = Not mapped to a known function
Joypad_Left + Xb or Yb or Bb or Rb = Not mapped to a known function.

Known game interactions with the controller:

* You can break a hold by shaking the left stick fast or by hitting the buttons
* When a menu is open you can navigate through choices with the DPad and then pressing "A" button to confirm.
* When a Menu is open you can close it by hitting "B"
* Rtrigger+Rb is a toggle to target enemies or friendlies. If you find your HUD is no longer targetting enemies, press Rtrigger+Rb.
* Switching builds is easy and quicker than opening the build menu when you press Joypad_down+X,Y,A,B or Rb.

**REMAPPING THE CONTROLLER**

The following commands are the default /binds for the XBOX 360 Controller. If you find that you may have messed up the controller's /binds, just copy and paste the commands below in your ent_keybinds.txt file in your \Cryptic Studios\Champions Online\Live folder and type /bind_load in game. If you dont have an ent_keybinds.txt in your Live folder, jsut make one in Notepad and save it in that folder.

AB +up
XB +PowerTrayExec 0
YB +PowerTrayExec 1
BB +PowerTrayExec 2
LTrigger+XB +PowerTrayExec 3
LTrigger+YB +PowerTrayExec 4
LTrigger+BB +PowerTrayExec 5
LTrigger+AB +PowerTrayExec 6
LB+XB +PowerTrayExec 7
LB+YB +PowerTrayExec 8
LB+BB +PowerTrayExec 9
LB+AB +PowerTrayExec 10
RTrigger+XB +PowerTrayExec 11
RTrigger+YB +PowerTrayExec 12
RTrigger+BB +PowerTrayExec 13
RTrigger+AB +down
LStick +PowerTrayExec 14
RTrigger+LStick +PowerTrayExec 15
LTrigger+RTrigger +PowerTrayExec 16
RStick camCycleDist
RTrigger+RB
RB +clientTarget_Next 0
LB +clientTarget_Prev 0
LB+RB +clientTarget_Next 1
LB+RStick_Down clientTarget_Manual 1 0 0
LB+RStick_Up clientTarget_Manual -1 0 0
LB+RStick_Left clientTarget_Manual 0 -1 0
LB+RStick_Right clientTarget_Manual 0 1 0
Joypad_Right+XB +InventoryExec Devices 0
Joypad_Right+YB +InventoryExec Devices 1
Joypad_Right+AB +InventoryExec Devices 2
Joypad_Right+BB +InventoryExec Devices 3
Joypad_Right+RB +InventoryExec Devices 4
Joypad_Left+XB +InventoryExec Head 0
Joypad_Left+YB +InventoryExec Body 0
Joypad_Left+AB +InventoryExec Offense 0
Joypad_Up +Interact
Joypad_Down+XB Buildset 0
Joypad_Down+YB Buildset 1
Joypad_Down+BB Buildset 2
Joypad_Down+AB Buildset 3
Joypad_Down+RB Buildset 4
Start GameMenu 1
Select GenSendMessage Root ShowCharacterMenu$$GameMenu

Here is a link to the currently available in game commands that can be scripted through the /bind command.

http://www.champions-online-wiki.com/wiki/Console_Command_List

Known issues and work-arounds:

1) Help I just bought my Wireless XBox 360 Controller for Windows and it is not working. I can't even see the controller buttons in game.

The most important issue that faces those that have the 360 controller is not having the game recognize the controller. I had this issue when I first bought the Wireless Xbox 360 Controller and tried to get it to work with Windows 7. First step is to make sure that the drivers for Microsoft Wireless Accessories is installed properly under Vista or Windows 7.
The following drivers are for the Wireless Xbox 360 Controller for Windows. The USB/Wired version should work straight out of the box and should be recognized by Windows once it is plugged in.

Go to this link to download the wireless controller driver for Windows Vista

XBOX 360 Vista Driver from Microsoft

Thanks goes to Shadow_Kitty for finding the 64 bit Vista Driver

here

Go to this site to download the wireless controller driver for Windows 7

Windows 7 Product Support Page

After installing the driver, it is important to go to Windows Update (in your Start Menu) and have Windows Update search for any new updates. It will find an update to the driver you just installed. Install this update. If the installer hangs or fails, reboot your PC and reinstall the update. It should install. If it does not, it should come up with a failure code. Click on that failure code and follow the directions to turn off the Windows Update Service, delete the installer temp files and Turn on Windows Update Service. I had to go through this process to install the Wireless Controller in Windows 7 but it works flawlessly now.

2) I am having trouble clicking on an interaction when multiple dialogue choices are up. What do I do?

PATCH UPDATE 9/30/2009

The previous issue of not being able to chose and select multiple action choices has been resolved with a stealth patch. You can choose multiple choice items by pressing up on the Joypad and highlighting your choice then pressing the "A" button to confirm.

2) I can't see the mission rewards and items that I am choosing. Is there a way to see the stats on the items?

Unfortunately not. Crafting, Inventory management, Mission Journals are all functions that are currently missing from the controller. Hopefully support for some of the missing functions will come down the pipeline. For now, I use the mouse that is next to me to mouse to complete those functions that are currently not implemented.

3) Help, my controller is not controlling my character anymore.

Make sure that your inventory is not open, having your inventory open will keep your controller from working in game. Press "B" button to close any open windows.

5) My controller stopped working when I went to a PvP arena? How can I make it work in Hero Games?

I am strictly a care-bear, <cough> I meant PvE player but based on what was previously posted, It has been reported that bringing up the Options menu (pressing "start") then closing it (pressing "select") restarts your controller settings in the arena.

6) I can't select inanimate objects in game and can't destory them if the mission calls for it.

Thanks goes to Ruzul for this work around:

- you must check “no” to the option of “never auto target objects” in the control window
- if you select “show auto target” (I believe that is what it is called. if not it's something along those lines) I find this extremely useful for showing what u will select.
To select an object you simply look at it. It will come up with a red target around but it wont actually be selected (show auto target feature at work)..now just attack and it will be your selected target

UPDATES will be posted below for clarity.

_______________________________________________________________________________________
Want to play an Action MMO the way it's meant to be played? Check out the link below!
The XBOX 360 Controller FAQ for Champions Online
Post edited by Archived Post on

Comments

• Options
    edited September 2009
    UPDATES and TIPS
    I will be updating this section with links and tips to /binds that I have found to be useful. Check back to see what's new.

Here's a link to a post that I found in the german forums in reference to a guide for various Keybinds
    • And finally the link to the Commands List wiki page for CO.

UPDATE 9/10/09

Here's a great thread from HoboAnarki detailing how to remap the various controls on the controller. I know, myself included, wanted to find out what the control tags are for each button and axis on the controller. Well here it is! :D

HoboAnarki's XBOX 360 Controller Remap Commands

Ongoing discussion on Controller remapping and FPS Control in General Gameplay Forums

UPDATE 10/02/2009

The "A" button Interact functionality has been fixed as of the 9/30/2009 patch! Thank you, Cryptic!

Yes, I still do update the sticky. Moved the default XBOX 360 Controller binds to the top post. Added a few corrections and a few more tips are added below regarding tis on /bind scripting.

Alot of people have been asking how to set-up a heal macros/bind. Here's a generic set-up that may help:

Joypad_left+XB "+down1$$target_teammate 1$$+Powertrayexec <slot>"
    Joypad_left+YB "+down1$$target_teammate 2$$+Powertrayexec <slot>"
    Joypad_left+BB "+down1$$target_teammate 3$$+Powertrayexec <slot>"
    Joypad_left+AB "+down1$$target_teammate 4$$+Powertrayexec <slot>"
    Joypad_left+RB "+down1$$target_self$$+Powertrayexec <slot>"

(Thanks to XVardin for working this out with me)

The +down1 in front of the binds is just a statement to trick CO into thinking that the whole line is a toggle. If it wasn't there, the power will just keep firing. Just replace <slot> with the slot# your heal power is on and heal to your hearts content. Pressing left on the Dpad and the right shoulder button will heal yourself.

Another oft requested /bind I have seen asked in the forums is: Whats the /bind command to change costumes? Here you go...

/setactivecostume <#0-4>

BrEggo (HERE) authored this bind for being able to swtich to different /chats on the fly.

F9 "startchatwith /channelsend "Zone" "
    F10 "startchatwith /channelsend "TeamID_LIVE" "
    F11 "startchatwith /channelsend "Local" "
    F12 "startchatwith /channelsend "GuildID_LIVE" "

Okay, last tip. As a meleer, I hate fighting tall villains since I can't see their charged attacks. With the binds below, pushing the Dpad right plus the X button will cycle through FOUR camera settings, the last one being far enough back, you can see everything!

Joypad_right+XB "camdist 0$$bind_load_file CAM0.txt"

<make a txt file in your CO\Live folder and copy the bind below and save it as CAM0.txt>
    camdist 0$$bind Joypad_right+XB bind_load_file CAM25.txt

<make a txt file in your CO\Live folder and copy the bind below and save it as CAM25.txt>
    camdist 25$$bind Joypad_right+XB bind_load_file CAM45.txt

<make a txt file in your CO\Live folder and copy the bind below and save it as CAM45.txt>
    camdist 45$$bind Joypad_right+YB bind_load_file CAM75.txt

<make a txt file in your CO\Live folder and copy the bind below and save it as CAM75.txt>
    camdist 75$$bind Joypad_right+AB bind_load_file CAM0.txt

You can replace Joypad_right+Xb with Rstick to replace the default 3 cycle zoom bound there with the above commands to turn it into a 4 cycle zoom.

Once again, if you guys find or discover any binds that are useful please share it here! In the meantime, I'll see what I can come up with...
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    64-bit Vista driver can be found here
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Great writeup. The targeting thing was really irritating me until I read this. I mapped the left D pad to be "target Nearest" and haven't had too many more issues. You can also select a dialogue box when there are more than one present by using the D pad to highlight the one you want, then rolling the D pad from left to up. Takes a bit of getting used to but I can pretty much play hands free now except for some interactions.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Great writeup. The targeting thing was really irritating me until I read this. I mapped the left D pad to be "target Nearest" and haven't had too many more issues. You can also select a dialogue box when there are more than one present by using the D pad to highlight the one you want, then rolling the D pad from left to up. Takes a bit of getting used to but I can pretty much play hands free now except for some interactions.

That's a good suggestion, I was thinking of remapping the DPAD_Left + X, Y,A, B to take care of targetting/ assist commands but I am gonna have to move the Map command deeper within the command tree so the map doesnt come up everytime I press DPAD_Left.

The control remap for DPAD_LEFT (since this command and combos do not invoke a known game function) I was thinking of is:

DPAD_LEFT - NO COMMAND
    DPAD_LEFT+X - Map
    DPAD_LEFT+Y - Target Nearest Hostile
    DPAD_LEFT+A - Target Nearest Friendly
    DPAD_LEFT+B - Assist Toggle

I am not sure if there is a command for assist toggle but if there is it would be an invaluable command as a toggle.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Wow, glad I found this thread - trying out the 360 controller now and it's awsome!

However, why can't I remap my controls? And most importantly for me, I always use inverted axis on my 360 for look (as I think most people do). I.E. pull back on the right stick to look up - how do I set this in Champions?
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Fabulous info! Thank you!
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    AlaCarcuss wrote:
    And most importantly for me, I always use inverted axis on my 360 for look (as I think most people do). I.E. pull back on the right stick to look up - how do I set this in Champions?

You do that in Options - Basic - Invert Camera Y - On.

The flipside is that the option in question not only affects controller, but also the mouse. You can't invert them separately at the moment.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    You do that in Options - Basic - Invert Camera Y - On.

The flipside is that the option in question not only affects controller, but also the mouse. You can't invert them separately at the moment.

Oh ok - well that's not too much of a problem if I stick to one or the other. Thanks very much for the info, I all set now :D
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Please explain this:

DPad_Right + X or Y or B or A or RB = devices 0, 1, 2, 3, 4
    DPad_Right + X or Y or B = equipment 0, 1, 2

I'm not sure i understand how the same keybinds are able to perform different functions.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    FSM wrote:
    Please explain this:

DPad_Right + X or Y or B = equipment 0, 1, 2

I'm not sure i understand how the same keybinds are able to perform different functions.

That's a typo. Same button combos and same functions. Devices and Equipment are the same thing. THere are only five slots for devices.

The above button combos controls all 5 of them. Thanks for pointing out the error. :D
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Thought this would be as good a place as any to post this question; Does the XBox 360 Chatpad from the Messenger kit work for Champions? I find it inconvient to switch back and forth from controller and keyboard when I need to acces inventory etc. It would also make chatting easier, thanks.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    MARs22 wrote:
    Thought this would be as good a place as any to post this question; Does the XBox 360 Chatpad from the Messenger kit work for Champions? I find it inconvient to switch back and forth from controller and keyboard when I need to acces inventory etc. It would also make chatting easier, thanks.

I have no idea, but that is a fantastic idea if it works. Can we get some confimation on this? I don't have one, but if it works, I'll buy one.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I have no idea, but that is a fantastic idea if it works. Can we get some confimation on this? I don't have one, but if it works, I'll buy one.

A friend of mine has the chatpad interface but he does not play CO. I know, huh...the insolence!

Anyways, if noone beats me to it, I am going to his house this afternoon and borrow/steal/procure this device and report my findings....stay tuned!

The FAQ has been updated regarding some changes that I have noted on the Test Server with the 360 Controller. The interface bug looks like it is getting some Dev luvins but it appears to be still unfinished/ unresolved. Check out this link for what I noticed that was changed on the test server regarding the 360 Controller. If you guys get a chance, log on to the test server and note your findings on the thread linked below.

http://forums.champions-online.com/showthread.php?t=52679
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Is there a way to display the tooltips for items when viewing the mission completion dialogue? I can use the DPad to move between the reward options and select one and continue, but what about actually looking at that item? I've tried holding various buttons down hoping that it would pop up a tooltip but so far I haven't found anything that works.

How about inventory management? Maneuvering between bags, equipping an item? Any of these doable from a 360 controller?
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    SupahUbah wrote:
    Is there a way to display the tooltips for items when viewing the mission completion dialogue? I can use the DPad to move between the reward options and select one and continue, but what about actually looking at that item? I've tried holding various buttons down hoping that it would pop up a tooltip but so far I haven't found anything that works.

How about inventory management? Maneuvering between bags, equipping an item? Any of these doable from a 360 controller?

Nope not yet. That's one of the reasons why I keep a wireless mouse next to me while I am sitting on the couch playing CO. Unfortunately, there are some things that you can't do with the controller that can only be done with the mouse. But, another device that may be very handy in CO Couch gaming is this one:

DiNovo Mini Keyboard w/ Clickpad

Does anyone have one of these mini keyboards and comment if it works well under CO or any other game for that matter?

I just have a hard time justifying having to spend $150.00 so I don't have to get my lazy a$$ off the couch to type something on the keyboard. But if I find a used one for much cheaper, I am sooooo getting one.

Which brings me to another tip:

If you are playing on a dual monitor set-up on your PC and have "moved" your Champions game to show up on a bigger monitor or HDTV, move the UI Interface Size slider under options to make your UI bigger. This way, you can see the Tooltip Pop-Up from the comfort of your couch instead of having to get up and see if the item you are choosing for a mission reward is really +40 to Recovery or +40 to Endurance.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    NM< should have read the OP fully.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Neeyon wrote:
    A friend of mine has the chatpad interface but he does not play CO. I know, huh...the insolence!

Anyways, if noone beats me to it, I am going to his house this afternoon and borrow/steal/procure this device and report my findings....stay tuned!

Well I did a little bit of research (Thank you, Google) and this is what I found....

Microsoft Support FAQ for The XBOX 360 Chatpad

Note the line that says:

"The Xbox 360 Chatpad is not designed for use on a Xbox 360 controller connected to a personal computer."

Sigh....You would think Microsoft would make their products compatible with eahc other but apparently that is not the case with this one. Good thing I didn't go out and buy one.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Well that stinks about the chatpad, oh well I guess you can't have everything. I must say that game feels better with the 360 controller (more actiony) ... minus the minor issues with still needing the keyboard for most things menu related. Now if I could just get into the game :p
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I have redirected people from the old thread to this one for their queries …please feel free to continue adding your suggestions here…

[URL="tp://forums.champions-online.com/showthread.php?t=34368"]Xbox 360 Controller suggestions[/URL]
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Ruzul wrote:
    I have redirected people from the old thread to this one for their queries …please feel free to continue adding your suggestions here…

[URL="tp://forums.champions-online.com/showthread.php?t=34368"]Xbox 360 Controller suggestions[/URL]

Thanks Ruz! If it wasn't for all your hardwork in gathering all the previous information, I wouldn't have half the stuff in the FAQ that we have now.

BTW...not sure if any of you XBOX Controller players have checked out the test server. It looks like they have put little bit more polish on the multiple interface choice issue that was previously bugged. Check it out if you guys have a chance.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Wish you could remap buttons that'd make it perfect..
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Since no one else has mentioned it, currently on live the Left D-pad (At least for me) confirms interactions when multiples are available. It's a bit flakey, mostly it works on the first press, sometimes it doesn't work at all, sometimes it requires multiple presses on it, and sometimes it's just very delayed, but it does.. mostly.. work a good portion of the time. Up arrow to interact, up and down to get to the choice of object/NPC to interact with, then left arrow to confirm.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    MAbans wrote:

There are two software available out there that can help you remap some of the keys that does not call a game function.

JoytoKey
    and
    Xpadder

JoytoKey is Freeware and XPadder has a limited functioning trial software that you can purchase if you like the trial.

JoytoKey can be used to remap buttons that do not require button combinations to work, such as remapping DPAD_Left to any single keyboard function in game. It cannot do button combos like DPAD_Left and X or Y or A or B.

The full version of XPadder CAN do button combos. You can assign any button on the 360 controler as a switch to call up a new assignment set for any button on the controller.

If you guys are interested, I can post my XPadder config later on (after I get home from work :( ). I completely remapped the DPAD_Left (since it does not call up any in game functions) to bring up the map, target nearest enemy, target nearest friendly, target nearest object, and Auto-Run.

Which brings me to another point, Xpadder is probably the only keyboard/mouse emulator out there that will allow other controllers besides the 360 to have full game functionality in CO. It does not have a big learning curve but it does take some time tweak the settings to the controller that you want to work in game.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Neeyon wrote:
    2) I am having trouble clicking on an interaction when multiple dialogue choices are up. What do I do?

This is a known issue. It has been bugged and hopefully this issue can be resolved. As a workaround you can move your character so that only a single dialogue interaction button shows up. Press up on the DPad to "Interact". If there are multiple dialogue choices on a single item (i.e. the plane that takes you to different zones) you may not have a choice but clicking and selecting with the mouse. I know, it's hard getting up from the couch and walking to the desk just to move and click the mouse to zone travel. I can sympathize. Others have reported that pressing right then up on the DPad can confirm your selection after choosing it with the DPad, but I can't reliably get it to work. For now, I have a wireless mouse and rigid mouse pad that I keep next to me on the couch for these moments.

UPDATE 09/03/09 (TEST SERVER NOTES)

This interface bug looks like it may be close to getting resolved. When you walk up to an "event" that calls up multiple interface choices (i.e. Multiple NPC interactions, Multiple Drop Items, The Zone Plane at MC etc...) a miniature DPAD with a dot on the Up button will pop up. Pressing this invoke the confirmation button which is the "Green A" button on your controller. You can move the confirmation button up and down on the dialog using the DPAD. But (Big sigh..... :( ) pressing the A button currently does nothing. I have bugged this on the test server and I am hopeful that this issue will be resolved before they release the next patch on live.

Bizarrely to select an object having highlighted it you need to press right on the D pad and then roll the D-Pad to Up without releasing it. It works every time, but its the most unusual keypad solution I have ever seen.

The easiest way to do this till you get the hang of it - press right with you right thumb and whilst still holding this down pree up with your left thumb.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    MARs22 wrote:

No. At the moment its just a dead weight that does absolutely nothing :(
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Neeyon wrote:

If you guys are interested, I can post my XPadder config later on (after I get home from work :( ). I completely remapped the DPAD_Left (since it does not call up any in game functions) to bring up the map, target nearest enemy, target nearest friendly, target nearest object, and Auto-Run.

Neeyon, that would be great I'm interested!

Thanks
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Woot! FAQ Has been stickied! Thanks for stick-ums, Daeke!
    fe2mike wrote:
    Neeyon, that would be great I'm interested!

Thanks

Will do...I'll see if I can create some controller configs for other controllers that I have lying around the house. I have a Saitek Gamepad and I think I may have a Thrustmaster Pad laying around. If I can get those working reasonably close to what the 360 has in CO, I'll post those too :D
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I didn't see this mentioned, but I'm having an issue when I zone into the cage match where I suddenly lose Control via the Controller. When I zone in, it becomes unresponsive and I have to switch back to keyboard. Sometimes it works though. Anyone else?
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    SquireX wrote:
    I didn't see this mentioned, but I'm having an issue when I zone into the cage match where I suddenly lose Control via the Controller. When I zone in, it becomes unresponsive and I have to switch back to keyboard. Sometimes it works though. Anyone else?

Yep, this is a known bug with arenas...a work around is hit start then the B button. This works every time and can be done quickly..hopefully a fix will be coming out soon :)
    Neeyon wrote:
    I can post my XPadder config later on (after I get home from work :( ). I completely remapped the DPAD_Left (since it does not call up any in game functions) to bring up the map, target nearest enemy, target nearest friendly, target nearest object, and Auto-Run.

That would be great, thanks!
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I mapped RStick to fly up when I push it up but it didnt replace the existing function that was there (look up). Any way to override the existing function on either of the sticks?
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Something new on test for the 360.

When you get the Take Item box with select Z, under it, it has a little d-pad icon. You hit the d-pad icon and it acts like hitting Z.

I need to find a stack of items to see if you can select them.

Edit:

Okay when you have multiple items, you can hit the dpad and up then it gives you an (A) button icon next to the first item. Underneath the Z text it also says hit (B) to exit.

Then you can scroll up and down the items with the d-pad and the (A) scrolls up and down with you. So then you hit (A) to select that item.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Ruzul wrote:
    Yep, this is a known bug with arenas...a work around is hit start then the B button. This works every time and can be done quickly..hopefully a fix will be coming out soon :)!

Awesome. Thanks for the work around!
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    MAbans wrote:

According to Coderanger we can remap the controller using the /bind command. There just isnt a UI for it. only problem is that i have to figure out all the actually commands i want. All i really wanna do is put the Map button on the controller somewehere. Preferably the XboxGuide button.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    XanderJS wrote:
    According to Coderanger we can remap the controller using the /bind command. There just isnt a UI for it. only problem is that i have to figure out all the actually commands i want. All i really wanna do is put the Map button on the controller somewehere. Preferably the XboxGuide button.

With the 360 controller, the guide button isn't actually a "button."
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    XanderJS wrote:

someone showed it for select as '/bind select "Map"' and it works.

I'm trying to remap my travel power to the right stick button instead, but I'm not sure all the commands either. Hopefully a dev can chime in with a quick list to start.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    So my XBOX 360 controller works in Windows 7 for Left4Dead.... works just fine. But in CO there is zero response to any button presses. Is there an option I need to set to enable gamepad? Also the 2nd quadrant is lit up and I am not sure how to change that... but again still works in other games. It's a wired controller.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    MAbans wrote:

Actually you can. I changed my Left Button to target nearest enemy by using /bind LB target(whatever it was). I'd assume this could be done for all of them. :)
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Got it to work... it has to be on the first quadrant. Does anyone know how to reassign quadrants on the USB controller? Sometimes when I plug it in it goes to 2nd or 3rd.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    RichWPX wrote:
    Got it to work... it has to be on the first quadrant. Does anyone know how to reassign quadrants on the USB controller? Sometimes when I plug it in it goes to 2nd or 3rd.

Sorry, I haven't experienced this as I don’t use windows 7 but my bro does and this hasn’t happened to him before either, out of curiosity have you got other USB controllers/devices plugged into your computer. The reason I ask is I’m thinking the problem lies with these controllers/devices and not the 360 controller. If there are other devices plugged in ensure you have the updated windows 7 drivers for them if you haven’t already. In addition maybe revise which USB port they are plugged into (i.e. swap the 360 controller with the other device…I may just be clutching at straws with this one).

Honestly I’m not to sure why but I’m curious as to how you end up resolving it, please post when you have figured it out, sorry I couldn’t be much help on this one.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I wonder if it would be possible to have separate Y axis options for mouse/ controller.

Trying to get used to the XBOX controller yesterday, I found I had to invert Y axis to avoid flying into the cieling/ground all the time. But when I got tired of it and switched back to mouse/keyboard, had to de-invert it again.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    heathenish wrote:
    I wonder if it would be possible to have separate Y axis options for mouse/ controller.

Trying to get used to the XBOX controller yesterday, I found I had to invert Y axis to avoid flying into the cieling/ground all the time. But when I got tired of it and switched back to mouse/keyboard, had to de-invert it again.

Have you played around with the control scheme under the control options to see which suit you best (i.e. mmo, action or shooter) This makes a great difference as to how you look and move around as they swap the function of the axis of the sticks.

Here is a link to a very useful YouTube video for setting up the controls for the 360 controller...I more less use the same layout with slight variations to suit the way I play my character.

360 Controller YouTube setup video

But in saying that it does take sometime to get use to the sticks, esp. if you’re not extremely familiar with it (Halo sorted me out :))
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Ruzul wrote:
    Have you played around with the control scheme under the control options to see which suit you best (i.e. mmo, action or shooter) This makes a great difference as to how you look and move around as they swap the function of the axis of the sticks.

Here is a link to a very useful YouTube video for setting up the controls for the 360 controller...I more less use the same layout with slight variations to suit the way I play my character.

But in saying that it does take sometime to get use to the sticks, esp. if you’re not extremely familiar with it (Halo sorted me out :))

Thanks for the youtube link, a lot of cool options there.

Yeah, the sticks are weird. I think the last console game that I played with any regularity was Super Mario Bros. It's funny that the D-pad has been relegated to support status, like some vestigial organ.

Do they make left-handed versions of this?
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Ruzul wrote:

Nice find Ruzul with that Youtube link. I use almost the same set-up. Makes targetting and moving almost like playing HALO. Gonna move the link up to the Sticky and post a screen shot of the controls for easy reference.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    MARs22 wrote: »
    No it sadly does not at present.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Microsoft has not gotten off their lazy bums to make a driver that would enable the chatpad to work in Windows. They even removed the statement on the original packaging for the chatpad that said that the product was designed to work in Windows. Sneaky gits!
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    FAQ has been updated (scroll towards the bottom of the post) with links to a useful Youtube vid showing how to set-up your controller to mimic most first person console shooters, a tip on making your camera more responsive and a couple of links for keybinds and commands.

Check it out! :D
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    So I just started using an xbox controller today and I have a question

Why do my quest rewards disappear if I select them using the controller? Like they don't show up in my inventory.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    So I just started using an xbox controller today and I have a couple questions.

When multiple Z commands pops up how do you pick one specifically?

Also... why do my quest rewards disappear if I select them using the controller?

The multiple choice "interact" menu is not properly implemented yet. When looting multiple items, move your character around so only one item is within reach then press up to loot. If you don't have a choice, such as the plane that takes you to different zones, press left or right on the D-Pad so you can highlight the menu choice. Then press Right then Up in one smooth motion on the D-Pad to Confirm your choice. I know, it's tricky but it's a work around till they get this issue fixed.

As far as choosing quest rewards and mousing over items and powers to see the tooltips for info... I still use the mouse for this. I don't want to rely on an items picture to choose my quest reward.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Neeyon wrote:
    The multiple choice "interact" menu is not properly implemented yet. When looting multiple items, move your character around so only one item is within reach then press up to loot. If you don't have a choice, such as the plane that takes you to different zones, press left or right on the D-Pad so you can highlight the menu choice. Then press Right then Up in one smooth motion on the D-Pad to Confirm your choice. I know, it's tricky but it's a work around till they get this issue fixed.

As far as choosing quest rewards and mousing over items and powers to see the tooltips for info... I still use the mouse for this. I don't want to rely on an items picture to choose my quest reward.

I reread the faq and got the multiple items thing. But when I selected an item with my controller the item straight up disappeared, it never showed up in my inventory. Luckily it was an item in the tutorial as I decided to mess around with a new toon when first using the controller. But still, anyone else observe this?
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I reread the faq and got the multiple items thing. But when I selected an item with my controller the item straight up disappeared, it never showed up in my inventory. Luckily it was an item in the tutorial as I decided to mess around with a new toon when first using the controller. But still, anyone else observe this?

Hmmm, very odd, I will give it a go when I get on later today (I haven't actually tried this as its still not displaying the stats when hovering over it with the controller, I have just been resorting to the mouse). I would suggest post an in game bug and let us know what you have titled the bug within this thread so we can all easily find it and get it pushed up the queue. (Maybe just edit your last post by adding the title of the bug report...I will edit this post with my results after testing this issue)