test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

3D printed copy of your own custom ship!

mrtrexy#6456 mrtrexy Member Posts: 97 Arc User
Post edited by mrtrexy#6456 on

Comments

• Options
    eradicator84eradicator84 Member Posts: 1,116 Arc User
    HECK YEAH!
    AFMJGUR.jpg
  • Options
    wraithshadow13wraithshadow13 Member Posts: 1,728 Arc User
    I, personally, have requested this on numerous occasions. I like that it's finally happening, though I would like there to be smaller sizes as well since I really don't have room for a foot long ship. Also, a foot long ship looking that grainy could use a little work. Knowing Cryptic though, these things are going to be ridiculously expensive though. More so, knowing the scale.

Hopefully, they can get a better quality 3D printer at some point and start allowing for models of our captains themselves. I just hope that they can get Liberated Borg characters a full body skin before that happens.

While I doubt that I'd be willing to pay what they're asking, I'm still going to follow this just to see where it goes. Despite my whines here, I still really like that this is finally happening, and I know I'll be running a ship or two through the customizer just to see the process.

Hopefully people who do buy these will be more than willing to post photos of them here.
  • Options
    antonine3258antonine3258 Member Posts: 2,391 Arc User
    I'm really excited about this. Curious what the pricing will be, and would sort of like if there was a Rom/KDF ship in the first post since they don't always get everything.....

Really, really cool possibilities
    Fate - protects fools, small children, and ships named Enterprise Will Riker

Member Access Denied Armada!

My forum single-issue of rage: Make the Proton Experimental Weapon go for subsystem targetting!
  • Options
    captainbmoneycaptainbmoney Member Posts: 1,323 Arc User
    now that I have a T6 Connie this would make me happy.

Like my fanpage!
    https://www.facebook.com/CaptainBMoney913
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    I really hope this makes them go back and look at the launch era models and fix them. I'd love to get a printed out Sovereign but I'm not wasting 30 quid (excluding shipping I'd imagine) on the model ingame currently.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    I was thinking to be able to print a paper version of your ship to have on display, this is great, but i'll still like to be able to build it myself :smile:
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    Let me guess - US residents only? At least no giveaways that included physical ship models was available outside of the states.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    theotherscotty#9105 theotherscotty Member Posts: 385 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    I'd buy a 3D printed model of my main ship as long as it looks right, with the right details, proportions, markings, etc. And maybe a few action figures of my main toon and his boffs, with their weapons and everything.

Then again, since my main ship is a Kelvin Connie, I guess I could just buy one of the model kits that are already out there, build it, put my own custom name and hull number on it, and call it a day. Still, a 3D printed one would be cool.
  • Options
    saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,394 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    angrytarg wrote: »
    Let me guess - US residents only? At least no giveaways that included physical ship models was available outside of the states.​​

I'm pretty sure the blog means you get access to the model "sheets" (which should be available to everyone), you still need a 3D printer yourself.
    At least, that's how I understood it.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • Options
    Let me guess - US residents only? At least no giveaways that included physical ship models was available outside of the states.

Looking at the FAQs on the site in question (here) it does ship outside the US. It obviously includes shipping and any local VAT or whatever.​​
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

• Options
    angrybobhangrybobh Member Posts: 420 Arc User
    As long as the price is reasonable, I'd like a couple of my ships done. I wonder if the fleet emblem would actually be on there?
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    I'm pretty sure the blog means you get access to the model "sheets" (which should be available to everyone), you still need a 3D printer yourself.

Aaaaaaaaaah... No, that can't be right. That'd mean you would be able to mass produce the models and possibly resell them, I can'timagine they'd allow that to happen.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    officerbatman81officerbatman81 Member Posts: 2,761 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    TRIBBLE yeah i want!

I'm guessing $50 buck minimum, maybe more.
  • Options
    orion0029orion0029 Member Posts: 1,122 Bug Hunter
    Most interesting...

Depending on the costs I can think of at least one ship I have that I'd like a physical model of. Hehe ;)
  • Options
    goodscotchgoodscotch Member Posts: 1,680 Arc User
    Neat!
    klingon-bridge.jpg

• Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,020 Community Moderator
    If I could afford it, I would SOOOO get my USS Lexington. Thanks to the recent registry update, she now has the PROPER registry number too.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    djxprimedjxprime Member Posts: 522 Arc User
    I feel this needs to be said, just in case it hasn't been said already...
    Shut-up-and-take-my-money.jpg
    Kkerp5u.jpg?1

"No matter where you go...there you are."
  • Options
    thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,101 Arc User
    I can have a little Typhoon for my desk? @artan42 !!!
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • Options
    mrtrexy#6456 mrtrexy Member Posts: 97 Arc User
    they are also really big. see sunglasses in bottom of pic...

h66nI2k.jpg
  • Options
    nikephorusnikephorus Member Posts: 2,744 Arc User
    I'm wondering how much this is going to cost.
    Tza0PEl.png
  • Options
    thay8472 wrote: »
    I can have a little Typhoon for my desk? @artan42 !!!

If they offered a Typhoon I'd wet myself OPKfOKi.png.

However, as they've removed it from every facet of the game in favour of the hideous Excelsior refits with too many nacelles, I'm doubtful I'll ever get to gently caress those warlike nacelles. pig-14.gif​​

#TASforSTO

• Options
    lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    Wow that's quite cool.

But pricing and availability will be a big factor for many people i guess.
    SulMatuul.png
  • Options
    alexraptorralexraptorr Member Posts: 1,192 Arc User
    My Mirror Guardian Cruiser is ready!
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid." - Q
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User

Aaaaaaaaaah... No, that can't be right. That'd mean you would be able to mass produce the models and possibly resell them, I can'timagine they'd allow that to happen.​​
    I thought about this topic when I read that thomasmarrone is putting up 3D STO ship models on ArtStation: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/ozy6z (Obviously he has been allowed by Cryptic/CBS to do so, but my concern was what others could do with the model and data.)

Ultimately, just because you can reproduce an item does not give you the right to do so, though. So if someone did that he would probably violating copyright laws.

It's not like it'S hard to make a copy of Mickey Mouse, but if you started selling Micky Mouse comics without having a license by Disney, you'd get in trouble.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    chozoelder2ndchozoelder2nd Member Posts: 440 Arc User
    595db301407a5d926d48358235593869.jpg

I need a Regent. Please don't be expensive.
    SP9Pu.gif
  • Options
    tom61stotom61sto Member Posts: 3,636 Arc User
    These are going to be expensive, hundreds of dollars range based on what I'm seeing on the Eucl3D site.

There's Elite: Dangerous space ships in their store already, $30 for the 3 inch long Viper, $99 for the 5 inch long. I would expect at least $199 for a 12" ship that the STO series seems to be, possibly higher just scaling off that.
  • Options
    chozoelder2ndchozoelder2nd Member Posts: 440 Arc User
    tom61sto wrote: »
    These are going to be expensive, hundreds of dollars range based on what I'm seeing on the Eucl3D site.

There's Elite: Dangerous space ships in their store already, $30 for the 3 inch long Viper, $99 for the 5 inch long. I would expect at least $199 for a 12" ship that the STO series seems to be, possibly higher just scaling off that.

Ah, well that's a shame. I won't be buying any if they are within these prices. It's still cool that this is happening though.
    SP9Pu.gif
  • Options
    smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,664 Arc User
    Risan Luxury Crusier, here I come
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • Options
    saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,394 Arc User
    edited September 2016

I thought about this topic when I read that thomasmarrone is putting up 3D STO ship models on ArtStation: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/ozy6z (Obviously he has been allowed by Cryptic/CBS to do so, but my concern was what others could do with the model and data.)

Ultimately, just because you can reproduce an item does not give you the right to do so, though. So if someone did that he would probably violating copyright laws.

It's not like it'S hard to make a copy of Mickey Mouse, but if you started selling Micky Mouse comics without having a license by Disney, you'd get in trouble.
    This.

The reason I went with this understanding (I can be wrong) is because on the blog it says:
    the ability to 3D print their own[...]will be able to print [...] you can choose to print your ship
    Note how they say "you can print the ships" instead of "you can have them printed" or "you can get printed ships".
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1